Type keyword(s) to search

Nashville in the Media

I can say So long! to Layla, but my heart aches because of Will :( I adored the character and still regret that Rayna didn't end up with him! Can somebody tell me if there was anything going on between Clare and Sam? I found on this or some other topic that they aren't the way they were.

good news guys!!

according to TVLine:Connie Britton and Hayden Panettiere are both poised to return to the CMT-bound Nashville in Season 5. Also expected back for the 22-episode season are co-stars Charles Esten, Sam Palladio, Jonathan Jackson, Clare Bowen, Lennon Stella, Maisy Stella and Chris Carmack.  A Lionsgate rep declined to comment for this story.

So it appears the rumors of Juliette's death were........greatly exaggerated. What surprises me is that Chris is also coming back, for some reason I just had a horrible feeling CMT would write him out of the show. Here's hoping that Kevin will be back also and we might actually see the two of them get married in the season finale.

• Love 2

Excited the Core Group is back!! I hope they keep J & W on Luke's Label. It will give him a reason to come back & guest. Plus they don't need to focus on the label heads in order to have an arc involving the label.

Yes, all of my favorites are back! I like Aubrey's voice, but if I had to choose a character to lose, it'd be her. I'd warmed up to Luke Wheeler (something I never thought I'd say), but I'd rather see him leave than any of the others. The show wouldn't be the show for me without Connie and Hayden, and I'd hate to lose everyone else's voices. I hope it's heavier on the music this year.

• Love 4

I'm surprised that Hayden is coming back. I hope that means she's doing well with her medical issues. That said, I'm not sure that I'll return. The last season was just so lackluster that I feel no real drive to watch the next one.

I don't know, part of me wants to see Maddie get a little of what is coming to her. I know R/D are not about tough love and it is going to be a delicate situation. However, Maddie wanted her independence. I say bring it on. If I was R/D I would make her pay rent if she is living with them, contribute money to the groceries, find her own gigs. I want her to see that her life before the emancipation was not the hell she made it out to be. She completed destroyed her family, I want her to take some ownership of that and make some amends.

• Love 3
48 minutes ago, kismet said:

I don't know, part of me wants to see Maddie get a little of what is coming to her. I know R/D are not about tough love and it is going to be a delicate situation. However, Maddie wanted her independence. I say bring it on. If I was R/D I would make her pay rent if she is living with them, contribute money to the groceries, find her own gigs. I want her to see that her life before the emancipation was not the hell she made it out to be. She completed destroyed her family, I want her to take some ownership of that and make some amends.

Yeah, I understand wanting to make sure Maddie pays for her teenage angst crap, but do you really want to turn into the show every week to see it? Watching Maddie forced to get her own gigs & buy groceries does not sound like anything I want to waste my time on. Maybe someone could ask Rayna where Maddie is & she could say something like "out trying to get a job" & then we never have to see or hear about Maddie again.

• Love 3
35 minutes ago, GaT said:

Yeah, I understand wanting to make sure Maddie pays for her teenage angst crap, but do you really want to turn into the show every week to see it? Watching Maddie forced to get her own gigs & buy groceries does not sound like anything I want to waste my time on. Maybe someone could ask Rayna where Maddie is & she could say something like "out trying to get a job" & then we never have to see or hear about Maddie again.

Agree groceries buying do not make for good TV. Maddie getting bumped from the line-up Blue Bird at the last minute for another person or nobody showing up to her gigs. I do want to see that. Maddie being served a big bill from her lawyer after she gets her first advance from the record label. I'd like to see her have to bus tables like Scarlett & co did in the first season before they were ever able to get on stage. I want to see some comeuppance for all she did to her family since I was forced to have to watch it. Personally, I don't want her story to take over the show. I think it already took too much of s4. However, I do want her back in s5, so there can be some payment extracted for her behavior.

I want to see her have to struggle to be somebody because she has always been riding on her parents' coattails. Her instant fame was heavily connected to either her parents or Juliette. It's not so glamorous being emancipated when you have bills to pay. I think she got off way to easy in the s4 finale and I understand why it had to happen like that. I was grateful at the time because I do want a happy ending for her. But now that we have a whole season, I want some of her chickens to come home to roost.

• Love 6

For me, in addition to seeing Maddie get her comeuppance on-screen, I also really think it's necessary for the audience to have a character with standing in the industry tell Maddie, "You need to get over yourself.  Yes, you have talent, but I'm not impressed that you're the child of Rayna James and Deacon Claiborne."  You have the talent to one day become like your parents, but you are not there yet.  You have a lot more work to do before that can happen."  The emancipation story was horrid, but I think dislike of Maddie has been simmering in the audience for awhile.  There's been fawning over Maddie for one to two years before the emancipation mess as though we're talking about a superstar like Kelly Clarkson or Carrie Underwood when they hit the scene.  For people in the audience like me, Maddie isn't that or anywhere close to that at this point in time.  I think people have grow tired of hearing this constant "Everyone is interested in Maddie", "So-and so label is dying to sign Maddie" along with her brattish behavior, and the fact that her sister (who also has talent) has been completely marginalized because of her age.  To repair Maddie's image, I think there needs to be more than consequences for her behavior.  Someone also needs to tell her the sun doesn't rise and set on her ass, even if she can sing.

• Love 18

Great news about Connie & Hayden. Nashville wouldn't be the same without them. However, I am sad about Will Chase, which is something I never thought I would say. As much as Luke Wheeler bugged me at first, that's how much he grew on me by the end of S5. Hopefully, he can do guest spots now and then. 

Re Maddie, while I don't want her to wear sackcloth & ashes for the whole next season, she does need a major attitude adjustment. Maddie's actions not only broke Rayna, Deacon & Daphne's hearts, they threatened Rayna & Deacon's marriage, endangered Deacon's sobriety, cost Deacon his business and even risked Maddie's own life. Maddie not only owes Rayna, Deacon & Daphne huge apologies, she needs to be told in no uncertain terms that just because she's talented, that doesn't make her the next Savior of country music, by a long shot. 

• Love 8

So flipping happy about Connie and Hayden coming back. Hopefully the new writers give them realistic stories.  Bye Luke, hope you visit every few episodes. Never thought I'd write that. Layla, thank you CMT!! I've been waiting years for the Aubry love fest to be over.

I'll be back for season 5. And I will admit that I still skip over Lennon on the soundtracks. Bad acting plus a crap storyline = no interest.

I can't hold a crap storyline against a young singer with a lot of talent. She's still the second-best female singer on the show to me. She was also a positive character on the show for far longer than she's been a villain (yes, I definitely consider her a villain at this stage. Running home to mommy because you almost got molested does not constitute a redemption arc.) But she's one character I feel needs to be rehabilitated and it can be done rather easily - "hormonal teenager moron" excuse. She's far too valuable as a performer to throw away.

• Love 3

Has anyone heard any particular reason why Aubrey Peeples isn't coming back?  While I hated the character I liked her alot. In some of the things I've seen of her outside of the show, she seemed very sweet and funny.  

Personally, I would've rather seen Layla and Jeff on the show than the Lennon sisters.   I was not happy when they killed off Jeff!      

:ducking for cover:

• Love 1

How they killed Jeff was one of the best moments of the show for me. I was literally stunned. It was a jaw-dropping moment that I did not see coming, even with all the spoilers. Kudos to the show, its hard to pull off moments like that on TV these days.

I hated how they handled the aftermath, that was messy and could have been handled better. But I will never want them to take back that moment. Jeff being a hero, falling to a tragic death out of nowhere. It was shocking and so sad.

I feel like Layla was let go because of budget and lack of showrunner interest. If they did not have a vision for her, I can imagine they just decided to cut their losses. And as much as I like Aubrey Peeples singing voice and her tweets, I do think her character was a mess from beginning to end. I would prefer the showrunners find a way to get the show back on track and keeping AP in the mix, might have been too complicated. She really has no substantial connection anymore to any of the main characters. I say explain her absence by being on tour and then bring her back if the story & timing is right.

The Lennon sisters for as messy as their SLs got in s4, they are the daughters of the main character. They have been on the show since s1. It would be hard to explain their absence. And Rayna's story would be missing some big holes without them present on the show. I just hope the new showrunners have a better vision for them this season.

• Love 4
(edited)

I think Maddie should bring her spoiled butt home, have an epiphany and decide she wanted to go to college, and Rayna drops her off and we only put up with her at the holidays.  Tie her appearances in with Colt, who is tolerable, coming home for visits. Leave little sis right where she is because she's freaking adorable. I'd much rather see her grow up adjusting to her bio-dad in jail and dealing with R&D, then Maddie and her 1st world problems. 

TPTB need to do some serious work to redeem the trainwreck of a character that Maddie has become.

ETA:  I wanted Jeff to stay around because I like him as an actor, and welll, he's pretty damn easy on the eyes.  Just sayin...

Edited by Java
  • Love 3

I think they'd done about as much as they could with Layla and Jeff. The former writers ran their stories into the ground and really left nothing  in their wake. I think more could have been done with Jeff in the hands of more capable writers, but he became the sort of mustache twirling villain that I hate. And while I love Aubrey's singing voice, there was just entirely too much of her this last season and she's not strong enough an actress to pull off all the various personalities Layla went through during her time on the show. Will Chase is gone too, for storyline reasons it seems to me.

The "Lennon" sisters are actually the Stella sisters, Lennon is one of them, she plays Maddie. And while I don't want Lennon off my screen I'd like to see some serious comeuppance for Maddie and would love for Daphne to have a chance to shine away from her sister.

• Love 1
50 minutes ago, Artsda said:

Juliette in 22 and Rayna in 10 actually makes this season more appealing.

Is Hayden confirmed as being in all 22 episodes?  If so, I'm in complete agreement with you.  I totally think that Nashville could carry on and be about Juliette, Avery, Scarlett,, Deacon, Gunnar, and Will.  Throw in frequent quantities of Glenn, Emily, and Cadence, and I'll be fine.  Deacon might finally get to do something other than break up and make up with Rayna.  The only character I'd miss upon Rayna's exit would be Daphne.

• Love 1

I would think Rayna being in only 10 episodes will change the focus of the show. Since she was the lead character, & if Juliette is in 22 episodes, then I guess her plane will be landing with her on it in episode 1.

I loved Connie in FNL, but this show was not a good fit for her. So, I'm excited to see if they send her "on tour", or just do something totally outlandish and soapy with the character: kidnapped, desert island, memory loss, tragic facial accident, shot by Maddie/Cash/whoever,  hairdo like Sia so we can't see who it is... 

• Love 2
3 hours ago, Ohmo said:

Is Hayden confirmed as being in all 22 episodes?  If so, I'm in complete agreement with you.  I totally think that Nashville could carry on and be about Juliette, Avery, Scarlett,, Deacon, Gunnar, and Will.  

The article lists her and others for being in 22. It says: 

Meanwhile, fellow leading lady Hayden Panettiere, whose character Juliette’s fate was left hanging in the balance in the Season 4 finale, is expected back for all 22 episodes. The same holds true for co-stars Charles Esten, Sam Palladio, Jonathan Jackson, Clare Bowen, Lennon Stella, Maisy Stella and Chris Carmack. 

It will be interesting as to how they write Rayna out but keep her kids for 22 episodes and if the show continues. 

13 minutes ago, paulvdb said:

Writing Rayna out for those episodes is easy. Rayna could be on tour while the kids are at home with Deacon. Or she could just be in another room all the time.

Alright, that made me laugh ;)

Seriously though, this is unfortunate but it's by no means a dealbreaker.

15 hours ago, NYGirl said:

So today we get the news that Connie Britton will only appear in 10 episodes and is leaving after Season 5.  That's really upsetting and I bet the whole season is angst while they prepare for however she's written out.

http://tvline.com/2016/08/24/connie-britton-leaving-nashville-season-5-cmt-rayna/

Actually it says she's leaving season 5 after 10 episodes, not that she's leaving altogether. Apparently Connie didn't want a 22 episode renewal, she wanted a shorter, more basic cable type season. So I guess she's building one for herself.

Sending her out on tour would make sense, but it would seem weird to leave Deacon home with the girls rather than taking him along. I would be surprised if Deacon were OK with that too. And would they never go out to visit her? Or would we see them coming back from seeing her and then on another ep packing up to go see her? I'd hate for them to kill her off, but it would kind of make sense.

They would have to kill her. Connie can't be recast and having Rayna on tour, in another room, doing something else is not...feasible for the long term. It'd be different if she was coming back at some point and was only taking time off, but if she's done, Rayna's done too. 

Anyway, she tweeted about S5 today so I guess we can take encouragement from that??? Who knows.

Have we seen anything, anywhere, in the media that Hayden P is signed on to be on the CMT version, AT ALL? I could be wrong, but I haven't seen anything and, as much as they talked casting -- who is coming back, who isn't -- I feel like if they had her, it would have been reported by now.

Given Hayden's serious personal and medical issues, that have been in the media, my gut says they're either still negotiating a reduced role, a la Connie B, or Hayden has found a way to opt out and Juliette's Patsy Cline-esque plane crash death will be the major plot line of the CMT season, likely even tying into Connie's exit ("I learned what's important, y'all").

EDIT: If this Variety article (Google first, post later, lesson learned) is accurate, then Hayden is coming back for all 22 new episodes so ... toss that theory out the window. http://variety.com/2016/tv/news/connie-britton-nashville-season-5-leaving-hayden-panettiere-1201844041/

Edited by STOPSHOUTING
On 8/25/2016 at 10:34 AM, Clemgo3165 said:

I'd hate for them to kill her off, but it would kind of make sense.

Not to be exceptionally morbid, but I've already lost several of the "music icons" of my childhood.  Whitney, Michael, and Prince are all dead.  Therefore, from a storyline perspective, Rayna's death seems completely plausible to me.  She could have a fatal accident of some kind.  The show will be on CMT, so TPTB could easily do something like when VH-I and MTV reverted to playing videos for 24-48 hour marathons.  CMT could do the same type of tribute for Rayna.

Plus, it makes the most sense to explain how to keep the girls plausibly on the canvas without Rayna.  Teddy is not in a position to parent Daphne.  If Rayna were killed, Deacon may not be Teddy's favorite person, but Teddy would most certainly choose Deacon over Daphne becoming a ward of the state.  Deacon would care for Daphne in Teddy's stead, and Deacon is Maddie's biological father, whether the emancipation remains canon or not.

On the business side, Bucky remains a recurring character in order to run Highway 65.

Edited by Ohmo
  • Love 2

I just think that Will's coming out story is done. Yes, it was rather terribly done, but at this stage it's like beating a dead horse.

He's come out. Now he's out. Now it's time to portray him as a gay man who's accepted his sexuality and is building a life which doesn't solely revolve around "being gay." No, I'm not saying "we should just sweep his inclinations under the rug" but there's more to a person than who he likes to screw. None of the other characters on the show are solely defined by their sexuality, and Will's been close to it for years. One could argue, since he was introduced.

Apart from that the way Nashville has historically gone about demonizing all people who aren't his closest friends or other gay people borders on disgusting.

• Love 2
15 hours ago, piratewench said:

It's been January for quite a while.

The last thing I read was about a December start date for the season.  I hadn't heard anything about January, so the video was news to me.