Type keyword(s) to search

Season Four: Another reason to TGIF!

Three episodes in and ... yeah, still hate them. For those who keep commenting that they don't understand the hate, honestly, do you really need to? It just is for some of us. That shouldn't lessen anyone else's enjoyment.

I had only vaguely heard of this show before TPC, and the clip didn't blow me away but it made me willing to at least check it out. One episode led to hours spent watching their original YouTube shorts, then Seasons one and two. I am a total convert! And I owe it all to TPC.

I would definitely put Ayn with Brandy and Julie, and then send her off to Scott, Blake and Emerson. Kenya, Amanda and Princella would get a turn, and maybe a full shake up giving us Emerson, Ayn and Brandy.

Bitches eatin' crackers. :)

No one is saying you or anyone else not liking them is ruining my enjoyment. I or possibly other people just don't understand it which is just a question. We can all feel the way we want to feel. I personally wouldn't even care if everything about the woman wasn't some sort of annoyance. I mean, it's just not that serious to me personally.

Also, this is such a fun show that doesn't cause many negative thoughts in my mind. Unless it's not Bea Arthur. But, I don't like her because she's so rude and negative. Something I don't enjoy on this show.

Edited by Racj82
  • Love 1

Fuller House AND NO BLAKE!! What the hell?

Although I did appreciate the erotic stylings of John Stamos and Funyuns.

Dang, the couchies were losing their shit over those Big Shot kids. It was a freakout tie between that and the two chicks crashing the Vanderpump party.

I definitely have to start referring to Rashawn as No Drama Peanut from now on.

Good to know that eating a lot of sushi has imbued Cathy with the ability to understand Japanese.

I would hope that none of the Golden Girls are getting bikini waxes. Ay yi yi.

Edited by lordonia
  • Love 3

Was half the show that gawdawful Vanderpump crap? Gah. Seemed the couchies were even more fawning than ever over it. And, no, I do not care that the NY Times says its "o.k. to watch." I HATE everyone associated with that show. If TPC can't make it interesting......

That little Japanese Bruce Lee kid was adorbs. Yuse? Sooooooo cute. But the show looks pretty lame. The girl who did the Aretha dance was just a tired "Toddlers and Tiaras" flashback. Shudder.

• Love 1

But I can only admit to my fellow posters and lurkers here that I am now WATCHING a tv show about PEOPLE watching tv shows, then coming here to read about what people are SAYING about said tv show!

Bluedog100, that's one of the things I love about this show (and I have to say that I watch a ton of television and this IS one of my favorite shows).  The whole concept is so meta!  Also part of the fun for me is that I live alone (not counting my constant canine companion) and watch tv alone and I don't dare talk to the screen because it wakes her up and then I have to deal with whatever she wants; thus, I am a firm believer in letting sleeping dogs lie.  Love the Zenos, not that fond of Cathy and Destiny(?), okay with the rest.  And like many others here, I don't watch anything else on Bravo except for Top Chef and I've been losing interest in it ever since the season in which Padma gratuitously showed up in a fringed bikini to talk to the cheftestants.  Less Padma, more food.

With regard to the young woman with the nose ring, those things are so unattractive and distracting and I can't help but wonder why anyone would want to do that to themselves.  Same thing with those ear gauges.  Such a turn-off. Yuck.

• Love 4

I loved it when one of the Golden Girls said "She's not a good actress" in regards to Candace Cameron during the Fuller House segment, because I was thinking the same thing.

"I was brought into this world naked and afraid." 

• Love 3

Was half the show that gawdawful Vanderpump crap? Gah. Seemed the couchies were even more fawning than ever over it. And, no, I do not care that the NY Times says its "o.k. to watch." I HATE everyone associated with that show. If TPC can't make it interesting......

That little Japanese Bruce Lee kid was adorbs. Yuse? Sooooooo cute. But the show looks pretty lame. The girl who did the Aretha dance was just a tired "Toddlers and Tiaras" flashback. Shudder.

Vanderpump Rules is a Bravo show, The Peoples Couch is a Bravo show.  This is entertainment, but it's also business.

The Steve Harvey show seems like a cross between Kids Say The Darndest Things (I'm really dating myself here because I never watched the Cosby version, so some of you know which one I'm talking about) and America's Got Talent (which I've also never watched but picked up the premise of by osmosis).

Speaking of osmosis, that's the second-most value I get from TPC - exposure to shows that I'd otherwise never watch.  Although I don't think I've started watching anything new as a result of seeing it here.  However, I'm sure that the shows are more than happy (if not paying) to have their clips on just to increase their exposure.  They might pick up more viewers, Bravo gets content, couchie stars are born.  Win-win for all concerned.

• Love 4

I get that Bravo is going to put their own shows on this, but the couchies all acted like they really watch the Vanderpump show.  Just like a lot of them watch Empire.  You can tell when they know a lot about the back stories.  It doesn't seem any different from any of the Real Housewives shows.

If they want to add new couches, why not recruit some of the old Queer Eyes guys?

• Love 4

I'm almost afraid to admit the newbies are growing on me.

Chrisley's face does look like computer animation!

I've made it known that they never bothered me much but the boyfriend cracks me up with his comments and putting up with her nonsense.
  • Love 1

I just watched 2 eps on DVR and enjoyed both. The newbies aren't annoying me as much either...i even LOL'd at New Girl declaring, "I've never considered kidnapping before now" when that too cute mini Bruce Lee clip ran. I mean, ALL of the Couchies were loving that kid and who could blame them?

Emerson's stank face dance after the RuPaul show was perfect. But my Xenos---I love them so much! I love seeing Rashawn mature before our very eyes...he used to be so quiet and he'd look away if there was something "adult" being watched. But now, he chimes right on in with his parents and they are all so loveable--mom throwing out his weed socks!

I can't figure out why the Daughters w/Dad are looking so much better lately---is it lashes? Airbrushed makeup? Whatever it is, I think it agrees with them---they look quite pretty.

• Love 1

Re: Budd and Booger Girl, he can be quite funny. Mostly unintentionally. She's kind of an annoying distraction. They wouldn't bother me that much, except they always take me out of the show. Whatever they're watching/commenting on, I always find myself wondering if they are actually a couple, because I am not convinced. And that annoys me because in addition to not being terribly funny, it's a huge distraction from the entertainment that is the rest of the show. 

• Love 4

Re: Budd and Booger Girl, he can be quite funny. Mostly unintentionally. She's kind of an annoying distraction. They wouldn't bother me that much, except they always take me out of the show. Whatever they're watching/commenting on, I always find myself wondering if they are actually a couple, because I am not convinced. And that annoys me because in addition to not being terribly funny, it's a huge distraction from the entertainment that is the rest of the show. 

"they always take me out of the show"

That's it! I couldn't figure out why they bothered my so much. Thanks.

• Love 1

I agree: That's it! They don't say much about the show, but talk about themselves in relation to whatever show they watch. It's not really about you, guys.

Also, they aren't funny!

Yes to both. I remember when they had a casting call to find a replacement for the bed family, I had such high hopes they'd find someone entertaining. These people aren't entertaining.

My 76-yr-old father watched my latest recording of this show for the first time, and he loved it! He didn't care what they were watching, he was enjoying the jokes and the banter. That is what makes this show a winner for me.

• Love 2

Is this a lingering April fools joke? My DVR didn't record it and doesn't show it as a missed recording. I'm so sad I missed my favorite show! It looks like next week, the reruns will air on E!, does that usually happen? Nothing about rerunning this week though, sigh....

It drives me crazy that they have to kiss every time one of them leaves the room. We get it. Happy couple. And they are constantly getting off the couch. More opportunities for the viewers to bask in their love, I guess.

It drives me crazy that they have to kiss every time one of them leaves the room. We get it. Happy couple. And they are constantly getting off the couch. More opportunities for the viewers to bask in their love, I guess.

I stumbled across this show this week--where has this been all my life? I don't even watch most of the shows they are watching but this totally cracked me up.

Welcome to our obsession, emma675!

Is this a lingering April fools joke? My DVR didn't record it and doesn't show it as a missed recording. I'm so sad I missed my favorite show! It looks like next week, the reruns will air on E!, does that usually happen? Nothing about rerunning this week though, sigh....

This episode re-airs on Bravo Tuesday 4/5 (10:30 p.m. West Coast time).

• Love 2

Haven't had time to check in here in a while, but I'm relieved to find that I'm not the only one who thinks the new couple is not nearly as entertaining as the other couches. I've given them several weeks, but I can't think of a single memorable moment from their segments. Goes to show it's not as easy as it looks, I guess.

But otherwise? LOVE this show so much. "That's not a big enough bouquet for 'Sorry I pushed you down the stairs and killed your baby'...but that cape coat!"

The producers do a great job of including shows I don't want to watch but which are events of one kind or another...like "The Passion" or the first new DWTS. "The Passion" segment was hilarious.

I have lots of shows I watch each week live or DVR, but this has turned into a "must see immediately" show. I'm already depressed about the next break. And there are no full eps online or on demand that I can find to help during detox!

• Love 4

I don't watch DWTS so Geraldo's ineptitude was new and exciting. The Couchies were all cringing.

Budd must be waiting to come out of the closet. Yet another appreciative comment about a male body.

(edited)

I think Budd and the Lady are two struggling actor-writers who kept seeing each other every six days out of seven working on their scripts at the same Starbucks and then finally chatted each other up at the same improv class and viola!  They seem to be explaining their "coupledom" as a narrative.  Like in badly written shows where characters tell each other things they should already know as a means to tell the audience the story.  That or trying to convince the INS they really are a happily married couple and don't give a damn about that green card.

I've noticed something the last couple of episodes that has disappointed me a bit.   Particularly the week prior.  They either are edited or have to be encouraged to 'buy' into the shows.  I find it hard to believe that every single couch buys in The Bachelor or fails to notice what a steaming pile of fake crap that Chrisley Knows Best show is.   Yet not one comment about the falling in love so fast on the Bachelor when anyone with any ear and eye to entertainment news of the mediocre and mundane also knows how fast it disappears.   Usually a week or so when the last drop of media attention can be wrung by the "lucky duo".

And the new pair are bad enough but they end up dragging the whole show down as the Resnick women have to shriek and shout at every little damn thing like it is the most shocking thing ever.  We get it.  Apparently your parents divorce left all three of you starving for attention and validation.   But tone it down already.  And speaking of toning it down?  Destiney.  The slathered on contoured make up and what looks like botox injected with a jack hammer and one of those blasting hoses.  I actually cringe when she comes on.  The trying too hard is bad enough but someone needs to find her a good mirror.  Whatever she is doing to her face is as uncomfortable to view as whatever Ben Affleck thinks has made his lantern-jaw and once-age appropriate face look young, heroic and worthy to set besides Cavill's on a movie poster.His isn't as bad as Goldie Hawn or Mickey Rourke yet, but I have to wonder what the fresh hell it will look like a few years.  Way too soon and way too much. 

Edited by tenativelyyours
  • Love 2

I have lots of shows I watch each week live or DVR, but this has turned into a "must see immediately" show. I'm already depressed about the next break. And there are no full eps online or on demand that I can find to help during detox!

I wonder if it has something to do with licensing for the show clips? Otherwise, I have no idea why Bravo is so stingy with re-airings and online availability.

I just added a weekly calendar reminder to make sure my DVR is set to record correctly on Fridays -- I'd be put out, too!

• Love 1

I wonder if it has something to do with licensing for the show clips? Otherwise, I have no idea why Bravo is so stingy with re-airings and online availability.

I just added a weekly calendar reminder to make sure my DVR is set to record correctly on Fridays -- I'd be put out, too!

it's totally because of licensing. The soup was scarce with full episodes too.

I still don't have issue with the new couple. They register for me as great as annoying so I just won't engage in that anymore. But, Budd is a odd one. Being able to acknowledge a good looking man doesn't actually mean anything but my man jumps to the dude gazing super quick. Quicker than his own girlfriend.

Who does actually annoying me is the two sisters. Mainly, because of the loud one who has to call everyone bitch every five seconds. I'm not offended by the word but expand your vocabulary already.

Zeno family are just the best. Peanut's snark cracked me up during Empire. "Yes, Lucious has a gun". Mama Zeno all shocked like that isn't the most obvious thing ever.

• Love 2

I'm in love with the Zeno family. Such a funny, loving family and I love it when a teenage boy hangs with his parents and engages in the conversation and isn't a total jackass like a lot of teens are.

• Love 5

I'm not sure licensing is the issue.  It might be and that would make sense.  But there are a few things that seem to trip that up.  First a quick look on tvguide shows when the Soup was still on Wednesday nights it was re-aired more than nine times between the initial and the next episode.  I know sometimes it was hard to find but it was on out there.  I know I could catch it sometimes three times if my weekend antics in college (and the needed recovery) fell right.

Also doesn't BRAVO have the last season up on their YouTube channel?  Fair use actually is more open to current running seasons.  Meaning if it aired on tv even in syndication you as a viewer have rights to see that show.  It is why Comcast and TimeWarner have free on demand shows available.  Cable and Amazon and Netflix etc have done more to limit what is out of viewing circuit.  Because they want you to buy and watch shows you missed the free time around.  I'm not explaining it properly but I remember studying the changes in college that were just taking place then and it was kind of scary how we have gone from having truly free television to now thinking we have to pay for everything.

Also most licensing is affected by the time.  If they have a license that is extended timewise to let them put it up on YouTube as they have done previous seasons now, airing the stuff they already paid for more than twice in a week usually wouldn't be more expensive.  Most licenses are time sensitive in terms of cost as well as audience numbers and medium of course. 

I'm wondering if it is some kind of odd mix of licensing costs as well as the network seeming to not be invested in the show for whatever reason. 

Also overall I think I've read that most shows on the US version do have re-air fees that are incredibly reasonable since it is money not earned well spent.  I think that made sense.  I remember someone at TBS saying in an interview that its not like the show can convince people who aren't watching not to watch, whereas it can convince people who aren't watching to maybe tune in.  I understood the logic even if it is not absolute since this has convinced me to definitely make sure I NEVER watch certain shows I haven't started watching yet.  But in general, this is a much more positive approach to viewing than the other countries versions, so it still mostly can work as a pull rather than a shove away I think.

(edited)
emma675, on 02 Apr 2016 - 5:16 PM, said:

I'm in love with the Zeno family. Such a funny, loving family and I love it when a teenage boy hangs with his parents and engages in the conversation and isn't a total jackass like a lot of teens are.

I only wish Princella and Lamont had had more kids (affordable or not)!

Any speculation what Sarah Resnick meant about just having had her eyelashes "done" that made her not want to cry? Destiney did pretty good at holding back, but I was weepy on my own couch during the adoption segment. Not gonna watch that show!

Edited by lordonia
  • Love 1

I'm not sure licensing is the issue. It might be and that would make sense. But there are a few things that seem to trip that up. First a quick look on tvguide shows when the Soup was still on Wednesday nights it was re-aired more than nine times between the initial and the next episode. I know sometimes it was hard to find but it was on out there. I know I could catch it sometimes three times if my weekend antics in college (and the needed recovery) fell right.

Also doesn't BRAVO have the last season up on their YouTube channel? Fair use actually is more open to current running seasons. Meaning if it aired on tv even in syndication you as a viewer have rights to see that show. It is why Comcast and TimeWarner have free on demand shows available. Cable and Amazon and Netflix etc have done more to limit what is out of viewing circuit. Because they want you to buy and watch shows you missed the free time around. I'm not explaining it properly but I remember studying the changes in college that were just taking place then and it was kind of scary how we have gone from having truly free television to now thinking we have to pay for everything.

Also most licensing is affected by the time. If they have a license that is extended timewise to let them put it up on YouTube as they have done previous seasons now, airing the stuff they already paid for more than twice in a week usually wouldn't be more expensive. Most licenses are time sensitive in terms of cost as well as audience numbers and medium of course.

I'm wondering if it is some kind of odd mix of licensing costs as well as the network seeming to not be invested in the show for whatever reason.

Also overall I think I've read that most shows on the US version do have re-air fees that are incredibly reasonable since it is money not earned well spent. I think that made sense. I remember someone at TBS saying in an interview that its not like the show can convince people who aren't watching not to watch, whereas it can convince people who aren't watching to maybe tune in. I understood the logic even if it is not absolute since this has convinced me to definitely make sure I NEVER watch certain shows I haven't started watching yet. But in general, this is a much more positive approach to viewing than the other countries versions, so it still mostly can work as a pull rather than a shove away I think.

with licensing, I was more talking about streaming and on demand. It's a different structure. Also, some of the stuff they show is a issue and some isn't. Like things on universal owned networks like NBC and USA network are all owned by the same company. But, abc network stuff isn't for example. It's all crazy to track. So many different moving parts.
(edited)
Any speculation what Sarah Resnick meant about just having had her eyelashes "done" that made her not want to cry?

Eyelash extensions. Yes, that is a thing. And eyebrow extensions are a thing too. I think they both last about a month.

Edited by sleepyjean
  • Love 2

I'm not sure licensing is the issue.  It might be and that would make sense.  But there are a few things that seem to trip that up.  First a quick look on tvguide shows when the Soup was still on Wednesday nights it was re-aired more than nine times between the initial and the next episode.  I know sometimes it was hard to find but it was on out there.  I know I could catch it sometimes three times if my weekend antics in college (and the needed recovery) fell right.

Joel was always joking that the E! lineup was The Soup and reruns of Sex & The City.

Not sure which was more cringe-inducing; The Passion or Geraldo's dancing, but I'm going to go with Geraldo.  At least Tyler Perry has more money than the God he was ostensibly celebrating - back away from the religious component and it was just really, really, really bad theater.  Geraldo, OTOH, has either gone broke or is suffering from a pathological need for attention and fame.  Either way, a whimper of a coda of a old man's career that is almost as sad as the blot left on Dan Rather's legacy (not that Geraldo is even in the same stratosphere, but still).

Man, there's a lot of crappola on TV.  Every now and then (although I can't really remember the last time) the couches watch a show that I watch, too.  That's like finding a few more fries at the bottom of the bag when you thought they were all gone - otherwise, the entertainment really is coming from the couches, not the shows.

• Love 5
(edited)

loved older lady on the right demanding that the gigolos clip run slower "so we know which one to pick" and Princella explaining she'd never have given Rashawn up for adoption because he was her "this is why I got fat" pass.

Complete with Lamont's wtf laugh.

Edited by kassa
  • Love 10

My show was hot like fire this week!

"You don't wear Red Bottoms to push someone down stairs!"

"You wear Crocs!" (I was especially tickled by this because I was rocking my Crocs...guess I was ready for murder)

That Passion show. O.M.G. So cringe inducing. I wanted to crawl underneath the blanket with Brandy. Daughtry as Judas! Seal looking like a Sprint ad! I really need to know what word they substituted for "Thunderdome" in the Hero number.

DWTS. There are no words, Geraldo. Go, Kim. Go, Wanya.

So glad the Xenos decided to afford Rashawn. That argument about the tooth gap was everything.

• Love 5

I do think with all his money from some of the worst pieces of crap that calls itself entertainment, Tyler Perry could afford to actually take the time to attend a Bible study class and realize why there is so much wrong about Judas being "the villain".

There was way too much time spent again on some really crappy tv that I don't even want to watch second hand.  I actually used the fast forward button.  I might have missed some good zingers but in the end I still feel I came out ahead.  Don't want to watch Geraldo dance or apparently not-dance.  This board is more interesting on anything Real Housewives.  If Tyler Perry and whatever he is throwing out there fell into a black hole and was never heard again I'd count myself lucky.  Forget ad populum, more like ad faex.  I find it so inexplicable he has achieved what he has.  I know, I know.  Subjective tastes and all.  Still that one is a reach for me.  Empire is always a huge miss for me.  And the new Shonda show looks like it is jumping right to the worst overwrought horribly acted levels it usually takes her shows a season to get to.  Wow that was bad but not an ounce of camp to make it fun.  Maybe if I was falling down drunk.  Or wore a blanket over my head.  And then shoved it under the mattress.

I did like the comment about Rashawn being her reason-I'm-Fat card.   

Though I only knew Gigolos from The Soup I am still trying to wrap my head around the fact the show is still on the air. 

WTF was that show Gigolos some of the couchies were watching? It looked like actual porn.

And I was with Brandy, I wanted to throw a blanket over my head when they were watching the Passion. 

• Love 4
WTF was that show Gigolos some of the couchies were watching? It looked like actual porn.

Right? I had to look that crap up -- it's on Showtime, but still. I was wondering if all the fake clients allow them to film the actual sex. Jeezalou.

• Love 3
(edited)

I hadn't heard about the Passion show until after the fact so I loved the clips we saw and was under my own imaginary blanket, recoiling in horror. I didn't know the first few songs and just assumed they were Christian rock or something. And then Seal sang... Thunderdome?! THUNDERDOME?!

I can see getting the offer, thinking it sounded like a cool project, Pilate's a juicy role... but when they say you'll be singing Thunderdome, how do you not laugh and tell them to say hey to Tyler for you but something suddenly came up?

Edited by kassa
  • Love 7

I was so horrifically confused by The Passion.  Once it registered to me that it was a musical, I too assumed that the first songs were Christian Rock stuff...but then Daughtry showed up and started singing Imagine Dragons and I got really confused, really fast. Now I kind of want to watch the whole thing and snark on it.  

I loved Princella's line about why she kept Rashawn even (affordable or not) because she wanted people to know she got fat because she had a baby, not just because she got fat.  They are by far my favorite group of Couchies.  Rashawn's reactions to his mom are always priceless, even if he doesn't say anything.  

• Love 5

I too enjoy this show... but something has been bugging me. New Girl looks really familiar, and I can't put my finger on where I've seen her before. Anyone else recognize her?

I do think with all his money from some of the worst pieces of crap that calls itself entertainment, Tyler Perry could afford to actually take the time to attend a Bible study class and realize why there is so much wrong about Judas being "the villain".

But then we wouldn't have gotten to see Chris Daughtry skulking around, glaring menacingly, and basically doing everything but twirling his mustache Snidely Whiplash-style!

I loved that all the guys were enthralled by Joe Manganiello on the Pee Wee movie. Right there with you, boys. (And I'm guessing they didn't feature Budd and Mackenna watching because there'd be no chance of the illusion of them being a couple surviving his reaction...)

• Love 5

No new couple...And the older gals were lively tonight with Ayn snarking and Sue revealing she was at the courthouse for the OJ verdict. (??). And the beauty of this show: I would never have watched the PeeWee movie, and if I had, I wouldn't have laughed very hard, but Julie losing her shit over PeeWee made me cry laughing.

This episode showed some negative reviews from the couches, particularly for the Rush Hour pilot. Glad to see it isn't all automatic promos.

• Love 4

But then we wouldn't have gotten to see Chris Daughtry skulking around, glaring menacingly, and basically doing everything but twirling his mustache Snidely Whiplash-style!

I loved that all the guys were enthralled by Joe Manganiello on the Pee Wee movie. Right there with you, boys. (And I'm guessing they didn't feature Budd and Mackenna watching because there'd be no chance of the illusion of them being a couple surviving his reaction...)

And thanks to a fast forward button "We" didn't. 

I'm so glad I'm not the only person that feels weird when the dad is all snuggly with whichever daughter is sitting next to him.  Also, the new girl distracts me with her nose ring.  I always think of a one of those cartoon bulls with rings through their noses and stare at her instead of paying attention to what they're saying.

The Zenos are hands down our favorites, probably because we watch the show with our teenage son and they just mirror us.  I wish Julie and Brandy had a podcast, I'm going to look for Emerson's radio show because they crack me up. Ayn looks and acts so much like my mother in law it's eerie.  Also, I want to be Kenya's BFF.

The looks Blake and Emerson were giving each other behind Scott's back during the Pee Wee movie segment killed me.  

• Love 6