Type keyword(s) to search

Season Four: Another reason to TGIF!

I didn't want the kids to watch the baby elephants almost drowning! I didn't even want to see that. Too tense.

Nadiya was a very popular winner on the British Bake-Off so I was a little surprised that the kids weren't feeling her. Guess they just loved the spiderweb cake a reallyreally lot.

Re Jurassic Park:
"If I was in the car with her I would have thrown her out to the dinosaurs. You brought this on yourself."
"Not the brightest bunch are they?"

• Love 2

Oh my God. I just watched this and died from cuteness! I want to eat those adorable British babies up!

Whoever said they were saving this for the end of the week to cheer themselves up, I think you will be pleased. :)

• Love 6
2 hours ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

Is it the accents that make them super hilarious? 

Oh yes, I think so :) Remember that adorable video making the rounds last year of the little British kid reacting to finding out his mum was pregnant? Everything just sounds cuter, funnier and more charming with an English accent!

• Love 2

I wasn't going to watch the kids episode but now I think I might have to.  I do love British children.  There's something about an accent that makes a kid way cuter than kids without one (I joke with my husband that I want to send our son to boarding school in England just so he can pick up an accent)

• Love 1
12 hours ago, SnideAsides said:

It's on the very left hand side at the bottom of your post.

Thank you.  I swear it wasn't there last night.  A lot of the time those little red things down there don't show up at all, although if I hover over them with a mouse the text description of what it does might (or might not) appear.  Anyway, back to your regularly scheduled programming.

11 hours ago, lordonia said:

I didn't want the kids to watch the baby elephants almost drowning! I didn't even want to see that. Too tense.

I agree about the elephants.  I had MY eyes closed and think it was kind of cruel for them to have to be watching it.  But I thought surely there must be a happy ending.

Their reactions to the cleft palate baby warmed even my stone cold heart.  And the authority with which those boys spoke about the 3-month cutoff for surgery on babies was a riot.

Re Jurassic Park:
"Not the brightest bunch are they?"

I'm trying to imagine an American kid saying that and I just can't, and even if he did, it wouldn't be nearly as funny.

And those girls' horror over the Queen's outfits.

I'm gonna have to watch this again. 

• Love 1

This is twice now that Bravo has given me reason to rethink my stance on avoiding shows with kids in them.  I got sucked into There Goes the Motherhood after thinking I would despise it, and fell completely in love with one of the kids, and didn't mind any of the others.  Now I watch this special and I'm 100% in love with every single child in it?  WHAT IS HAPPENING TO ME.  Maybe the key is that I prefer to see kids who aren't performing, or trying to be "on" for the cameras.  Somehow, the editors on Bravo shows know exactly what to keep and what to cut out to make me happy.

I want this Jr. show with these same children to become a full season, please. 

• Love 6

I loved "ET" and "flaming flamingo" bits.

14 hours ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

The did the Bake Off and Jurassic Park, but not the other shows you listed.  There was one about life developing in the womb (the looks on these kids' faces!), some elephants in Kenya (which is located in India) trying to get across a river, and a short one on the Queen. 

Bravo cut it down, the original UK airing was an hour.

15 minutes ago, Irritable said:

I want this Jr. show with these same children to become a full season, please. 

Jr. got picked up in the UK (called Gogglesprogs), premieres tomorrow in the UK.

• Love 3
29 minutes ago, Irritable said:

Somehow, the editors on Bravo shows know exactly what to keep and what to cut out to make me happy.

Yeah, I was thinking about the hours and hours of footage they go through to cull these bits.  And they leaven it with shots of the kids just watching and not saying anything...cutely, of course.  Good job, Bravo (and I don't say that often). 

• Love 1

I wasn't expecting to like it but I thought the original "People's Couch" sounded dumb too so I went in with an open mind.  Damned if those little British kids didn't completely win me over!  It definitely helped that they had British accents.  "Shift your bums!"  I'm going to start saying that.

The almost drowned elephants were sad but when that little girl turned to her sister and said "Brooke?"  Pause.  "I love you."  That was the sweetest thing ever.

• Love 3
(edited)
2 hours ago, Irritable said:

Now I watch this special and I'm 100% in love with every single child in it?  WHAT IS HAPPENING TO ME.

Right?

The brother/sister pair were especially squeezable, with the boy telling his sister not to be scared or upset because he was there, and the exchange of I love yous.

One of the younger sprogs was hugging his stuffed animal pretty damned tightly during Jurassic Park. Aw.

3 hours ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

Their reactions to the cleft palate baby warmed even my stone cold heart.  And the authority with which those boys spoke about the 3-month cutoff for surgery on babies was a riot.

They were also very positive that "I never looked like a fish!"

Edited by lordonia
  • Love 2

I watched this with my 8 year old, and afterwards he declared that he prefers the adult version, but it was still very adorable. 

I loved the 2 red headed boys. Loved them all, actually. And instead of getting grossed out by the horse faced girls with their feet hanging out, I thought it was absolutely adorable that one kid had a bunch of holes in his socks. 

5 hours ago, DoubleUTeeEff said:

I wasn't expecting to like it but I thought the original "People's Couch" sounded dumb too so I went in with an open mind.  Damned if those little British kids didn't completely win me over!  It definitely helped that they had British accents.  "Shift your bums!"  I'm going to start saying that.

The almost drowned elephants were sad but when that little girl turned to her sister and said "Brooke?"  Pause.  "I love you."  That was the sweetest thing ever.

I cried.  I admit it.  That "I love you" was as sincere as it gets. Plus the little brother who laid his head on the older brother's lap and then the older brother gently stroked his head had the tears flowing too. 

Damn kids. Get off of my t.v. Your cuteness is overwhelming. I want a pair of redheads on my couch now.

• Love 3
(edited)

I'd love to spend a couple hours with Jacob (red hair and eye glasses), listening to him opine about the world.

The blonde fashion police sisters would give Joan Rivers a run for her money. "She looks like a flamingo!" Can anyone educate me as to what accent they have? I've always loved that particular English accent.

The child with Down Syndrome melted my heart: "Brooke?....I love you."

They were all so adorable that I watched twice, a real rarity for me. Would love to see more. Is the British version available online?

ETA: is it Liverpool?

Edited by pasdetrois

This was fun.  I'm amazed they got so many kids to sit still through an entire television program.  I wouldn't have wanted to watch that elephant program at my age, much less at 6 or 7.  So many of them were crying at the end.

Loved the discussions of where you get babies, both the womb parts and going to a shop.  And how none of them recognized Prince Phillip.

Cute!  I was a bit peeved when I found out who won the British Bake Off before it aired in the U.S.

23 hours ago, dosodog said:

I cried.  I admit it.  That "I love you" was as sincere as it gets. Plus the little brother who laid his head on the older brother's lap and then the older brother gently stroked his head had the tears flowing too. 

4 hours ago, meep.meep said:

Loved the discussions of where you get babies, both the womb parts and going to a shop.  And how none of them recognized Prince Phillip.

It's like they don't know any of the royal family.  Odd but funny.

• Love 2

I guess my Dickensian notion of parents in the UK reading a royal family picture book to their children are misguided. But I still like to imagine it:

"This is Queen Elizabeth II. As you saw on the telly, she's been our monarch for longer than any other king or queen. Her husband is Prince Philip. He's not a king, which may be what confused you.

Prince Charles is Queen Elizabeth's oldest child and will become king when she dies. He was married but cheated on his wife and got divorced. He later married the women he had been cheating with, who was also married at the time."

Small boy, when the book is done: "Not the brightest bunch are they?"

• Love 1

Maybe because I learned that Phillip is a prince and not a king just like in chess.  He can't be.  I am still bewildered that they haven't got to modern history yet.  Well I guess they have much more history than we do.  The one kid knew that a King Charles was executed.

13 hours ago, pasdetrois said:

The blonde fashion police sisters would give Joan Rivers a run for her money. "She looks like a flamingo!" Can anyone educate me as to what accent they have? I've always loved that particular English accent.

I have exactly zero knowledge about British accents, but when one of the girls said the word "tunnel" and one other word I can't remember, it sounded like the Beatles to me.  Were they from Liverpool, or did they just form the band there?

I did notice that one little girl is Scottish--the way she said Ggggggrrrrrrete British Bake-Off.  Adorable.

On 6/16/2016 at 1:21 AM, bref said:

Oh my God. I just watched this and died from cuteness! I want to eat those adorable British babies up!

Whoever said they were saving this for the end of the week to cheer themselves up, I think you will be pleased. :)

I saved it for tonight.

it was so good

• Love 1

My boyfriend objected to watching, I overruled and on under a minute he was laughing. 

I adored the two ginger friends. Also, loved the big brother tormenting his little brother but then comforting him when he was worried about the elephants.

• Love 1
(edited)
On 6/17/2016 at 9:58 AM, pasdetrois said:

The blonde fashion police sisters would give Joan Rivers a run for her money. "She looks like a flamingo!" Can anyone educate me as to what accent they have?

I looked it up, and they're from Leeds. 

ETA: They've made this into a series (Gogglesprogs) that's running now.  I watched a little bit of it online and there was a hilarious segment of Sarah Palin talking at a Donald Trump rally. This group of boys was trying to figure out who she was and said her name was Ah-mes Lowa, and somebody said maybe it's actually Lowa Ah-mes.  They were reading "Ames, Iowa" on the chyron at the bottom of the screen.  I died.

Edited by StatisticalOutlier
  • Love 4
(edited)

I finally got to watch the Jr. version today--so cute! I loved how grossed out they all were at the womb show and how sweet they were about the baby with the cleft palate. I also loved that one girl describing dinosaurs as "basically like a violent giraffe" and "when there's lightening, nothing ends well".  I do wonder if Jurassic Park was a little too scary for some of them, though.

These kiddos were hilarious and quite clever.

Edited by emma675d
  • Love 1

Dammit, that's twice now Bravo.

Me: "A show about watching people watch TV? That's the stupidest thing ever!"

"OMG, this is the Best. Show. EVER!!"

Me: "People's Couch Junior? UGHHHH! Why can't they just leave things alone, nobody wants to watch a bunch of stupid kids acting up watching TV shows! I'm out.... well it's only a half-hour, I guess I could just record it, for when there's nothing else on." "Nothing else on, guess I'll see what this show is about."

"OMG! I love this show! These kids are the absolute BEST."

I guess we've learned something here, Bravo. No, not that I should have an open mind. You should have better programming in general so I'd have more faith!

On 5/12/2016 at 2:26 AM, bros402 said:

If you toss mine on the pile, we have just maybe enough for each of us to share a quarter of a fuck.

**drags in full bag of fucks**  Am I too late? I wasn't using these "Beyonce fucks" at all, and I had no idea how to get rid of them. This telethon sounds awesome. 

• Love 4
On 6/18/2016 at 2:41 PM, StatisticalOutlier said:

They've made this into a series (Gogglesprogs) that's running now. 

I watched a couple of episodes and the lugubrious narration may be the funniest part.

10 hours ago, SnarkKitty said:

Dammit, that's twice now Bravo.

Me: "A show about watching people watch TV? That's the stupidest thing ever!"

"OMG, this is the Best. Show. EVER!!"

Me: "People's Couch Junior? UGHHHH! Why can't they just leave things alone, nobody wants to watch a bunch of stupid kids acting up watching TV shows! I'm out.... well it's only a half-hour, I guess I could just record it, for when there's nothing else on." "Nothing else on, guess I'll see what this show is about."

"OMG! I love this show! These kids are the absolute BEST."

I guess we've learned something here, Bravo. No, not that I should have an open mind. You should have better programming in general so I'd have more faith!

**drags in full bag of fucks**  Am I too late? I wasn't using these "Beyonce fucks" at all, and I had no idea how to get rid of them. This telethon sounds awesome. 

Thank you for your donation! Now we have a bag of fucks, by my estimate, about 0.5 of them! Now we have 3/4th of a fuck! We're close to our goal of 1 whole fuck!

• Love 2

Noticed that Esquire network is rerunning an episode from April right now. Didn't know the show aired on that network. Anyways they're airing it in prime time (8pm) which is pretty cool.

• Love 1

Have to wonder if they lost ratings with moving the show to Friday nights.  There was no decent lead-in for Fridays where Tuesday had Housewives or Below Deck - something with a lead-in.

i stopped watching live when it moved, having to record it.

Thanks for the notice. I don't watch that show but the online preview shows Blake and Emerson, so I'm in!

After watching: That show is an hour long! Jeez. It was all three guys but the focus isn't really on the guests. The guys got a few good lines off, mostly flirting with the crew. My other takeaway is that the guys look really slender and small when they're around people other than themselves. There was a lingering close-up shot of Blake's crotch in his flowered banana hammock swim briefs. Maybe the camera person was a fan.

It was good to see them!

Edited by lordonia
  • Love 2

Well supposedly Bravo announced their line up and this wasn't on it. The shows twitter hasn't been updated in ages and the cast members are just retweeting fans requests to bring it back. Maybe there's hope for January? This show was the best thing on!

• Love 1

Its probably not completely "cancelled" as its the type of show BRAVO can pull together rather quickly compared to others.  But its future is very very dim if we have gone this far and nothing has been moved towards even just making plans for another season.  It is baffling since BRAVO never did a good job of promoting it.  They kept tucking it away in weird time slots.  They went with a half hour initially which was really odd.  And they tied it too strongly to their own programming.  Way too strongly well into it even when they had access to plenty of other shows with larger followings.  They had the very successful template of the British show.  They even did a good job of tailoring more towards US audiences.  Not just doing a good job with most of the casting, but also finding the right mix of programming focus.  While I like the couches in other countries viewing the news and politics, I think the sampling here was probably accurate to what the average audience here would prefer. 

Yet they still fucked it up.  And the move to Friday at a time when BRAVO couldn't even get itself together to have four nights of solid original programming -- Thursday by then had devolved to being Throwback Thursday or just the pile of re-airing Real housewives shows to bolster viewing ratings. 

I'd love to see someone at Comcast/NBC notice the ratings in the UK and figure out a way to bring it back.  Maybe move it to USA?  Or E!.  I know it would not air on NBC because I doubt they want to promote other networks.  And maybe that was part of the issue at the root of BRAVO's approach.  American network executives could only see it airing and therefore promoting and adding revenue to business rivals progams?  So it never got the push and support it deserved.

• Love 2
5 hours ago, tenativelyyours said:

IAmerican network executives could only see it airing and therefore promoting and adding revenue to business rivals progams?  So it never got the push and support it deserved.

Yup, I could see that. Any audience time spent being interested in featured shows like the Walking Dead or Empire is audience time not spent watching the latest Housewives frachise or that crap show about boat crews. What they don't get is there are a lot of people who wouldn't watch that other Bravo nonsense anyway but would tune in to Bravo for People's Couch, because it's different and genuinely funny as hell. And you can live vicariously through the cast while they munch on DELICIOUS SNACKS.

• Love 2

Also depending on how much control networks have in submitting programs that get watched and featured there could be some serious dividends.  You want the couches to watch How to Get Away with Murder or Scandal?  Fine. But you have to have them watch American Housewife when it premieres.  I would not be surprised if released footage included package deals anyway.  Whether from the same network or one of their lesser sister channels. 

Plus I've discovered shows through this.  I've given a look at shows I normally would not bother based just on the description or even the network it is on.  I've even found a few rare gems that I've stuck with after the initial view.  Plus it adds water cooler cachet to shows like Scandal that have good audiences but give non-viewers reference that might lead them to actually watching but even if it doesn't, it still makes them part of the word of mouth generator.  And buzz is still a huge component of a shows enduring success even if that buzz now mostly takes place on social media. 

And for BRAVO particularly it does raise their standards a bit in some ways since it comes off as quirky silly and yet witty at the same time.  I think they have completely thrown out their whole Pop culture Central theme or whatever it was when they had those endless ads on.  But it still let them get a little less under the "slightly less trashy reality than WE or VH1, but still not quite attaining the class of say, professional wrestling" umbrella. 

I think there is a short run of Gogglesprogs for the holidays and wonder if they will air that again.  I thought that had some pretty good ratings.  In any case this seemed at worst a loss leader for their other programming and at best a show people who don't watch reality could watch even as the show slipped those viewers a taste of reality they might eventually find appetizing.   Even for a nibble.

• Love 2
On Tuesday, November 15, 2016 at 11:11 AM, glowlights said:

Yup, I could see that. Any audience time spent being interested in featured shows like the Walking Dead or Empire is audience time not spent watching the latest Housewives frachise or that crap show about boat crews. What they don't get is there are a lot of people who wouldn't watch that other Bravo nonsense anyway but would tune in to Bravo for People's Couch, because it's different and genuinely funny as hell. And you can live vicariously through the cast while they munch on DELICIOUS SNACKS.

I can see executives thinking that way, but it's ridiculously short sighted. As long as up to 2/3rds of the shows watched by the couchers are on NBC Universal networks or are produced by NBC Universal, then you're golden to sprinkle in the Bachelor, Walking Dead, Empire, and any other water cooler show. 

• Love 2

Rats.  I was just talking to a friend the other day (I'd gotten her hooked on this show) and she said where's our show?  I finally remembered to check here.  They didn't renew it? It was the only show on Bravo I was watching.  I'm so over the Housewives.  Vanderpump Rules' cast is so inane.  Below Deck lost me last season.  Maybe I'll watch Master Chef.  Not sure what else they have on now.  Their shows bore me; I'd just as soon watch a Law & Order rerun.

• Love 3

How the hell can Bravo justify renewing The Girlfriend's Guide to Divorce -- which cannot be cheap to produce -- and close up the Couch??

Does anyone know where I can find reruns? Which will be better than 90% of basic cable.  

And get those kids off my lawn.

• Love 2
5 minutes ago, voiceover said:

Does anyone know where I can find reruns? Which will be better than 90% of basic cable.

My DVR? I haven't even rewatched them but I can't bring myself to delete the last 10 episodes that are on it!

I seriously got excited when I noticed a new post because I thought that there might be news about it coming back.

• Love 3