Type keyword(s) to search

Season Four: Another reason to TGIF!

This show is tough to do for reruns because the shows they use are current. A week later and there is a good chance the viewer might've watched it, but has moved on.

I think that depends on the viewer, 70-80% of the shows they do I don't watch and if I do watch I am just watching for their take not the clips. My best friend comes over and I will rewatch EPs with her that are four to five weeks old and still enjoy it.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 6

I think that depends on the viewer, 70-80% of the shows they do I don't watch and if I do watch I am just watching for their take not the clips. My best friend comes over and I will rewatch EPs with her that are four to five weeks old and still enjoy it.

Sure you do that but that's not what the programmers are thinking about. Yes, people watch things on a delay but that has never mattered to networks. Because it's about who is watching first run with ads more than anything else. With this show, it's like the soup. While not gossip based, a lot if it's content is of the moment. Premieres and finales, etc. Shows like this never replay outside of the week it aired in. With content from other networks.

I love the show. I do. But, it's never going to be a hit show. It's just not. It's a very niche topic. But, also, there are people on YouTube watching and reacting to TV shows basically as soon as they air in droves with much easier access. I'm just happy it exists and just leave it at that.

I sort of get the topical aspect but honestly I just watch for their reactions and not so much for the content of the actual shows they're watching. I think it'd hold up ok in reruns. I'd just be happy if they'd occasionally give it a rerun behind a bigger show. Tonight on Bravo they aired the new episode of Shahs of Sunset at 8pm and then showed it again at 10pm. It'd be nice if they could have given the show that 10pm slot. Shahs will be on 100 more times this week.

I also wondered about the cameras and if they're fixed or not. I'm guessing they're fixed because it doesn't seem like they ever do shots of anything besides them being where the couch is (like when Julie is off grabbing snacks or a drink, you can still hear her but it's occurring off camera).

But yes, happy it exists and glad it's gotten 4 seasons so far.

• Love 4

I keep waiting for TPC to reach critical mass in the U.S. -- it's one of the top-rated shows in England and everyone I know who has watched it here likes it. My perspective may therefore be skewed, but I tend to blame Bravo for not getting the word out. They certainly find the time and budget to promote some of their other shows to death.

• Love 10

Yay, Burner! It's nice to add another fan.

I've wondered about the schedule as well, because some couchies are absent from certain episodes. My assumption has been that everyone watches all the shows but certain groups are cut for time, except that doesn't really make financial sense. It seems like the golden girls are skipped most often, so maybe they're contracted for a fewer number of weeks?

The behind-the-scenes info is just as sparse as Bravo's promotional materials. I'd be curious to know if the cameras and lighting are fixed in place or if crews actually go to all of the houses every week. Naturally I'd also like to know how much the couchies get paid! Nosy, nosy.

My provider, DirecTV, did not add old episodes to their on demand offerings. Sigh. I very rarely re-watch shows but would for this one, just for the smiles.

I think there have to be  crews since they have close ups mixed with whole shots.  Or maybe filming technology now allows that?  I do wonder if they have some type of screen that blocks the actual crew though.  The first couple of seasons the three women and the three men seemed to do the tiniest little side eye that seemed to acknowledge the filming presence.  Completely inadvertent I suspect.

It amazes me not only how cop a touchy feely the Resnicks are but also how possibly gullible.  I get that buying into the premise of Bravo's reality shows (the dumb lap wriggler's statement the other week about how all the Shahs own oil companies in Dubai) is a safe and simple way to keep your couch in the mix.  But two of the daughters really seem to be emblems of our failed educational system.  It is downright amazing at what they don't know one week after another.  Maybe the screaming and the daddy dearest moments wouldn't bother me so much if, especially for the one doing the paternal bump and rub, I didn't feel like Stupid came along and fucked her over but good. 

I have turned some people to the show but most people I talk to don't even know it exists.  Do people here actually watch it to be topical on certain shows?  Because I watch for the reactions.  If they cover a show I watch?  Well I've watched it already.  And everything (and most of everything) they cover I don't watch and have no intention of watching outside these clips.  So for me the topicality and timeliness is not an issue.  I watch both Goggleboxes and I have yet to see a single of the made for Aussie television shows except the Bake Off one and simply enjoy the reactions to the shows.   And I went back and caught up with the seasons I missed and enjoyed them as much as the current ones.

• Love 1

I, for one, would definitely watch if the shows were old.  With all the streaming services and On Demand, their reactions and the clips might turn me on to something I've missed.

I don't know if the Resnick girls are dumber than most young women of that age, but they do know popular music.  Makes me feel so old, when they sing along to songs I've never heard, and on the award shows, when they know who those people are.  I fit better with the Golden Girls.

• Love 5

I watch for the people. But, it does throw me off sometimes. Like talking about the walking dead finale (or just viewing it) over week after its been talked about to death. I don't wait to watch things personally. Not shows I care about. But, whether or not it's current is not an issue to me overall. But, it's about how the network views the show. I don't think they care that much about it. It's a great way to cross promote their shitty reality shows. But, not much pass that. I also think they see it as a in the moment type of thing so it doesn't matter what the viewers think if that's the case. But, there is also other variables. We have no idea how often they are allowed to replay footage from other non universal television networks. They could have a cap on how many times the clips can air or for how long it could be on demand, etc. Hey, I never expected a show on TV about watching people watch TV to be mainstream and bravo isn't really the network to truly push a show such as this. They have nothing else like this. It's also on a network that is so one note. I'm sure there are tons of people that give zero shits about bravo so they would never come across the show no matter how many times they air. It was destined to not be a huge hit. I'm glad I gave it a chance though. That's probably the biggest hurdle. Getting people to accept the premise.

• Love 1

Just FYI, per Scott's twitter the show is permanently moving to 8 pm on Friday.

*Shakes fist* I thought there wasn't a new episode last week and was confused when I saw you guys talking about a new episode.

Chrissytd, It's also On Demand with Comcast, if you have that. Hope you can find it!

I will watch old eps because my focus is the couchies more than the shows themselves, and as someone else mentioned on second viewing you can sometimes catch funny quips or expressions you missed first time around. Their reactions to The Passion will never ever get old for me.

When Rashawn asked, "Are these real black people?"  *DEAD*

Edited by glowlights
derp
  • Love 3

For some reason I have been watching a lot of Bravo this week and I noticed that they have really increased ads for the show and are showing clips of the couchoes watching the show that is airing!

• Love 4

I caught those ads, too! Even fast-forwarding the commercials, I still stopped to watch. The ones I saw had Julie/Brandy and the Zenos talking about Million Dollar Listing. As a bonus, they were comments/scenes that were cut from the TPC episodes that aired.

• Love 1
On 4/24/2016 at 7:06 PM, tenativelyyours said:

More than once, last week for one in fact, the daughter that sits beside him has practically draped herself in his lap in a way that I find more than just lean against dad type of body behavior.  I get families are different but I do think boundaries exist for a reason as well.

Usually it's him with his hand on her thigh, though.  I understand a daughter cuddling under Daddy's arm.  I even understand draping, to a degree.  I don't understand putting your hand on your daughter's thigh.

I honestly am not alleging anything untoward is actually going on.  Maybe it's a cultural thing, like kissing kids on the mouth?  

• Love 2

Do we know what happened to the girls' mom? I think in last weeks episode, the dad said something like "I've had one crazy wife and one crazy girlfriend". Seemed a little odd for him to say that with the girls right there.

The Resnick daughters definitely have a much more open vibe than my family wrt discussing sex and swearing in front of their dad!

Not that it's wrong, but Joe constantly resting his hand on Sarah's knee/thigh would never fly at our house. My father insisted my sister and I stop calling him "daddy" once we went into our tween years, along with no longer allowing us to sit on his lap. Basically: "You're not children any more." He wouldn't be shocked by any f-bombs, but he would think it was crass and unnecessary.

I lost it to the point of having to pause and catch my breath over Rashawn talking about that 'in the wild' show. His whole "that guys says I'm gonna mess up a bear and the producer is all, put him with the bears" just killed me. I freaking love that family.

I was also excited that they watched Lucifer, because that's one of 'my' shows. I rarely see them watching things I watch, so that was fun.

• Love 7

So I started to watch this show a few months back while browsing the channels - on Fridays, I feel absolutely *horrible* so I need to put on something that I can just lie there and watch.

I read the description that's like "People watch popular TV shows." and I was like "Well, that is perfect. I can just lie here and watch people watch stuff for me."

This show is absolutely hilarious. It moving to 8 totally messed with me last week, though. Had to record it at 3 AM and watch it the next day.

Now I have my DVR set to record the new episodes

• Love 5

I noticed my DVR was recording something at 9:30pm, then remembered I could now watch this live.

The annoying Persian sister is saying the same thing three times now, and too loudly, I noticed it last week and this week. Her sister still looks haggard, I hope she's going to be ok with whatever she's going through. Maybe the loud one is trying to make up for her sister not feeling good?

"What house?" from the slightly out of it older lady was funny this week.

I love,love,love the couchies.......I hate,hate,hate nose rings and ear gauges.......The one thing that really irritated me last night was the women on there phones or polishing there nails. Really? This is your JOB.....sit on a couch and watch tv........PUT DOWN YOUR DAM PHONE...... 

• Love 3
7 hours ago, Cosmic Muffin said:

The annoying Persian sister is saying the same thing three times now, and too loudly, I noticed it last week and this week. Her sister still looks haggard, I hope she's going to be ok with whatever she's going through. Maybe the loud one is trying to make up for her sister not feeling good?

Cathy has been looking tired, right? And crying at the slightest thing, as Destiney pointed out: "Are you on your period?" But I've certainly had weepy days for no reason.

I like the reactions when the couchies are enthralled by what they're watching, but it also amuses me when they're completely bored. Them being annoyed because the leads in Lucifer never kissed was funny, too. Heh. Viewers don't like being teased!

If their uncomfortable looks were anything to go by, I don't think Amy Schumer is going to be on the viewing schedule chez Zeno. The Yo-Puss skit was so raunchy.

• Love 1
7 hours ago, eurekagirl mOo said:

I love,love,love the couchies.......I hate,hate,hate nose rings and ear gauges.......The one thing that really irritated me last night was the women on there phones or polishing there nails. Really? This is your JOB.....sit on a couch and watch tv........PUT DOWN YOUR DAM PHONE...... 

That actually doesn't bother me at all. It makes it seem more real not every show is going to grab you and it's how a lot of people watch tv.

• Love 4
(edited)

It's interesting what they put on for us to see. Regarding Lucifer, they completely slipped why Lucifer and the end of season cliffhanger. With izombie, they skipped showing how Liv convinced her partner she's a zombie. She stabbed herself in the stomach and pulled the knife out. That was also the second to last episode. Not the finale they watched which aired the same night.

Forgot to add that I don't mind if the couchies aren't always paying attention. This show is or should be a genuine viewing of how these people watch TV. Most people are not 100% focused on the shows. I'm watching BH90210 while I type this message right now for example.

Edited by Racj82
Wanted to add something
  • Love 2

This week was up and down, but the up was fantastic.  Watching "Inside Amy Schumer" is funny.  Watching the couches watch it made me laugh so hard I was crying.  And Peanut was hilarious at the end of the "Alone" segment.  "They knew just where to send that guy..."

In other news, the older ladies are stepping it up since the boring couple disappeared.  Ayn and Sue, in particular, are becoming a little comedy duo.

"You're too loud to be a spy."  Heh.

• Love 3

The older ladies have great reaction shots -- they don't contradict each other all that much, but one will say something and the other heads will swivel.

• Love 1

I wish the Couchies could watch Game of Thrones more often.  I'm trying to think of the last TV show that was so prevalent in pop culture.  Obama even made a Red Wedding reference in his speech at the Correspondents Dinner last week.  The late night talk show hosts talk about it, political pundits -- it's everywhere. 

• Love 1
(edited)

Let's all join the cult of Zenoism, shall we?

Rashawn couch dancing during Lemonade was everything! I haven't watched the video but thanks to TPC, that's an hour I now don't need to spend.

My favorite comment of the night was from Julie: "Oops" as she breaks something in the kitchen. Julie is on the couch wondering -- valuable wedding gift, cherished keepsake, dish in a pattern that's no longer made. set of 6 glasses that's now 5...?

Lamont: "I don't think Groupon does yacht trips." And then Princella suggesting Uber for ships.

Smart of Emerson to pick up that "Ryan" is not one syllable. I want to use a photo of his expression as my screensaver.

Why was Brandy drinking out of a hip flask!?

Edited by lordonia
  • Love 6

Was totally wondering about the flask! LOL, its like, you're sitting on your own couch in your own home (actually, is it her house or Julie's?), you don't need a flask. And you already have a drink!

I love Rashawn. "Betty White".

I know this is probably blasphemy but I actually think I'd enjoy this show a little more if it were only half an hour long. I find myself tuning out a bit towards the end but that could just be me and my lack of attention span.

• Love 1

Rashawn reacting to Beyonce saying the F word was funny.

Best bit of the show, the season, the entire run of the show: Cathy telling Destiny to shut up! (I think I have the names right.) But I also liked Destiny telling Cathy she'd never leave her. I'm still wondering what Cathy is going through and hoping she'll be ok.

• Love 2
(edited)
12 hours ago, Almost 3000 said:

What was the name of the cult show? thx!

It's called The Path, on Hulu.

I tried to watch but was bored. This made it look more interesting, so maybe I should give it another shot. I tend not to like dreary shows that make me want to slit my wrists, though.

Edited by lordonia

When Rashawn googled "Becky with the good hair" and came up with 'Betty White', I lost my sh***.  I had to pause, clean up the snorted out soda, and calm the pets.

I haven't watched the Aaron Paul show, but the big eye emblem had me asking, "CBS?   Really?  Is CBS a cult now?".  I need a working roku, I suppose. ;)

• Love 5

While I appreciate the effort to choose obscure programs, just about everything this week and last week was obscure.  They need to mix it up a bit with the mainstream programs.

I am not yet a Netflix or Amazon subscriber (waiting for the Top Gear replacement) but nothing they have shown me this far is encouraging me to go sooner.

One man's obscure is another man's I-could-write-a-wikia-on this.  I've only been watching for a couple months, but the only shows they've done that I'm familiar with are Game of Thrones, iZombie, and Real Housewives.  

I'm glad they did Lemonade.  Now I understand what all the fuss is about. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, AuntiePam said:

One man's obscure is another man's I-could-write-a-wikia-on this.  I've only been watching for a couple months, but the only shows they've done that I'm familiar with are Game of Thrones, iZombie, and Real Housewives.  

I'm glad they did Lemonade.  Now I understand what all the fuss is about. 

It's not really a cut and dry thing. It depends. Game of Thrones and Beyonce lemonade release are two of the biggest talking points in pop culture right now. One may not follow or care about those things but they aren't obscure in the least. Streaming platforms and cable are the ones producing most if the big dramas now. So, they kind of have to touch on them. Not obscure. The bravo stuff ain't going nowhere. It's the burden we all have to cover. 

My issue that I'm starting to notice is they tend focus nos more on premieres and finales. There are a lot more to cover with shows than those two episodes. Let's look at the new arrival on Empire (although they still have time), the raid on negans compound on walkind dead. The episode of Daredevil that is mainly just punisher and Daredevil and ends in the huge staircase fight. The Supergirl/flash crossover. The major death on Arrow. The law and order SVU/Chicago crossovers, etc. Not nearly enough of those episodes. Maybe it's due to fear of spoiling but they always air this stuff on a delay, anything they show could potentially spoil anyway and no one should be watching this show if you are leery of spoilers.

I'm not complaining.  :-)  Heck, most of the shows recapped at the A.V. Club are also shows I've never seen.  And none of my friends watch anything that I watch. 

I like that there's so much to choose from, but that also means fewer "water cooler" shows, the shows that everyone is talking about the next day.  Except for Game of Thrones and Walking Dead.  Breaking Bad, back in its day.  Lost. 

I grew up with four channels, and if something happened on a TV show, everyone knew about it. 

• Love 1

I know I sound like a curmudgeon, but I think feet are really gross. Daddy's girls think their feet are awesome. They've tattooed them, painted them, and now drape them all over the place or dig between their toes like they're playing a decrepit round of 'here is the church, here is the steeple'. I can't focus on anything else because all I see are 6 slabs of spam flopping around. 

They did mention their mom this week, though. One of them said mom gave her something that belonged to the other, and she pulled her finger out of her toe jam to rub her sister's nose and say mom gave it to me. 

Just put some damn socks on. You're on television. I don't want to see the bottom of your dirty foot any more than I would want to look at your butthole.

Sorry, y'all. I think I'm hormonal.

Love this show. :) <<< mood swing :)

• Love 4
7 hours ago, Locutus said:

Not just the feet, they were eating like pigs and talking with food falling out of their mouths. Filthy scum.

Yass! And eating hummus off her fingers cause they ran out of carrots. Just, no.

• Love 1

There were so many moments that cracked me up this ep:

1. All of the different couchies singing the GoT theme song.

2. Brandy chastising herself for knowing so much about GoT: "why do I know this shit?? I should be trying to learn Spanish."

3. Blake's "uh oh, Beyonce got a bat".

4. Rashawn's reaction to "Becky with the good hair" and his coughing fit.

5. Amanda: "is Beyonce giving underboob?. Kenya: "she's pissed right now, girl. You gonna get overboob, underboob, all boob." Those two were killing me during Lemonade.

• Love 5

Now that I think about it, what was really cool about Lemonade is that the couchies get screeners to watch early, so the video hadn't been released yet. The couchies' awesome range of reactions were solely theirs without being filtered through the avalanche of news and online commentary that came later.

• Love 3
(edited)
On 4/30/2016 at 0:40 AM, Major Bigtime said:

YoPuss!! No words, I laughed so hard at the reactions, especially the Zeno's son. 

Me too.  Not only because of the reactions but because my husband has been teased for years by his buddies for buying that Activa yogurt that Jamie Lee Curtis hocks on TV....he might have bought digestive regulating yogurt marketed to women, but at least it wasn't YoPuss!  

I'm a week behind but Emerson's comment during "Monica the Medium" had me rolling. 
"Hi, I'm Monica the Medium." "Hi Monica, I'm Emerson, the Extra Small"

Edited by Indy
  • Love 1

Love that there is now a pillow between Dad and girl on right to avoid Giving the Wrong Impression.

Don't watch Game of Thrones (I gave it about a half hour, and once I saw dragons, had to tap out) but it's definitely prominent in pop culture.

Is it likely that Beyonce's people put screeners out to this show?  Seems dubious to me.  I think they might have gotten one out to them same day delivery, though, possibly.

Of COURSE Teddie's been on a round-the-world cruise.  They're not that expensive.

13 hours ago, kassa said:

Love that there is now a pillow between Dad and girl on right to avoid Giving the Wrong Impression.

Don't watch Game of Thrones (I gave it about a half hour, and once I saw dragons, had to tap out) but it's definitely prominent in pop culture.

Is it likely that Beyonce's people put screeners out to this show?  Seems dubious to me.  I think they might have gotten one out to them same day delivery, though, possibly.

Of COURSE Teddie's been on a round-the-world cruise.  They're not that expensive.

What happened most likely was Bravo requested screeners and listed what they were going to use it for, then they got them :D