Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E09: The Director

• Start Topic

In general, a good episode. 

A couple of points, though, made me laugh...

1. They seriously did just rip the LA Confidential plot point off bit for bit

2. Why in the world would Ressler confirm that he knows that she's working for the Cabal? What did he possibly gain by revealing that info?

• Love 7

What was with Aram threatening to go to the media and expose them all ?  He should have gotten a bullet from the Cabal just for threatening that.

Yeah, that was odd, as well. They're okay with killing Keane in front of everyone but they can't disappear Aram? They're a pretty inefficient shadow organization. 

• Love 2
2. Why in the world would Ressler confirm that he knows that she's working for the Cabal? What did he possibly gain by revealing that info?

Indeed. He forget he's a federal agent first and vengeance machine second. "I know you murdered somebody!" Ressler outrages! But the real outrage is that if he knows where there's a goddamn body he should go and get it and then come back and make an arrest! I know it was established that they can just breeze out of jail anytime they want but that doesn't mean Ressler should stop trying.

The CIA can't crack a 7-letter password that is the name of one of the staff?

The FBI black site really needs some security upgrades. Now the box can be gassed from outside. How exactly does that work? CIA lackeys come through the door rolling in some dollies of nitrogen tanks. The security asks what that's all about. The CIA guy says never you mind and pretend you don't see us setting up to pump it in on a prisoner. Security nods and moves out of the way apparently. Sure, why not? But why does the box have a ventilation system vulnerability like that in the first place?

Red and Navabi were awfully snuggly this episode. Is this a new thing?

That plot where Harold's wife was cheating on him was so exciting that I had forgotten all about it. I sure hope those crazy kids work it out! It just wouldn't be the same without their affection and work-life balance.

Why didn't Tom take the gun and kill Solomon himself? He's murdered a bunch of people before.

The resolution to the Pulp Fiction briefcase was better than I was expecting. Those would be worth a lot.

• Love 3

The CIA can't crack a 7-letter password that is the name of one of the staff?

That was particularly stupid.  Who writes this crap ?

The FBI black site really needs some security upgrades. Now the box can be gassed from outside. How exactly does that work? CIA lackeys come through the door rolling in some dollies of nitrogen tanks. The security asks what that's all about. The CIA guy says never you mind and pretend you don't see us setting up to pump it in on a prisoner. Security nods and moves out of the way apparently. Sure, why not? But why does the box have a ventilation system vulnerability like that in the first place?

The security on the Post Office is about as bad as Arrow's Lair.

What's even more confusing is when Red and Ressler were in the box that Berlin's men didn't do exactly the same thing -- since they apparently knew everything else about the Post Office.

All this focus on Karakurt is just so damn boring.  He's going to be dead long before he ever testifies to get Lizzie off the hook.

Once again, the Blacklister of the week doesn't die and isn't incarcerated by the end of the episode -- why do they even bother naming Blacklister's at the top of the episode anymore ?  Since it really doesn't mean anything -- and hasn't for quite some time now.

Was that supposed to be some sort of symbolic nonsense when all the local cops turned their backs on Keane as she was lead out of the safehouse ?  Why would local cops have even been there ?  That made absolutely no sense, especially when Resseler knows that the Cabal has people on the payroll all over the place.  That's why he was side-eyeing the troopers.

The Lizzie Keene perp walk into the Post Office while being watched by numerous nameless background players (in slo-mo, no less) was underwhelming.  And what was with the song that accompanied the perp walk -- only sell cherry on your fruit stand.  WTF?

Seriously, they were going to trade those printing plates to those dumb ass hick bikers last episode ?  That just seems ridiculous.

Edited by ottoDbusdriver
  • Love 1

What a fun romp! I enjoyed it so much because I look at this show like a cartoon and suspend all disbelief. Makes it a lot easier to watch, rather than getting annoyed by something as nutty as Red and Navabi getting from NYC to a storage locker in W.Virginia in like an hour or so.

I hate Solomon! He's as annoying as Theo Galavan in 'Gotham.' He gets away with everything and always has that dumb ass smirk on his face. I guess that's what makes him a good villain, though. I knew Ressler wouldn't kill him, but it would've been nice to at least put a bullet through his kneecap or something.

Soooo glad Dembe is out from behind bars, and loved the searing look he gave Solomon.

And what was with the song that accompanied the perp walk -- only sell cherry on your fruit stand.  WTF?

Right? The music throughout the episode was, for the most part, horrible and tried oh-so-hard to be hip and meaningful but failed. I did sort of like the song that preceded Red and Aram's scene at the gravesite, though - anyone know what it was?

Edited by Biggie B
  • Love 2
What a fun romp! I enjoyed it so much because I look at this show like a cartoon and suspend all disbelief.

Yup, that is the only way to enjoy it, sort of like a stupid-crazy version of Archer.

But I enjoyed Red-Samar and Ressler-Tom and Aram-Liz interactions. They all did fantastic job with the material provided. The acting was good all around and the direction was good too - a female director for the first time on this show(I think) But the writing still continues to suck.

Something about Samar and Red amuses me to no end. Her slightly bemused smile as Red waxes poetic first about beef and then opiates and finally a woman's body was hilarious.

The whole mess with the director and NSA was just cringe-inducing. How can the CIA  just walk in to a Fed blacksite and do shady stuff like starving Liz off air and no one does anything? It drives me crazy how the agency is made to look so ineffectual and stupid over and over again. There must be cameras all over the place - how can the writers think something like this would actually happen? And then it was shown that the rest of Wright and Ressler's failsafes worked - the new white house counsel traipses in and saves the day. Surely the director should have know about her and he didn't have a plan to counteract her? And why didn't Aram or Ressler just call her in the first place?

What was the point of Ressler's call to Red? Because all Red did was to instruct him to do the impossible and be in two different places and protect two different people? But hey, for once, Ressler gets to come through. So that's something.

It also seemed to me that Red and Ressler has access to a teleporter, what with the way they kept zipping across statelines in a matter of minutes. Other little things also bugged me. Super-spy Tom just walks to car without a weapon  for Solomon to get a drop on him. How convenient is that?

Indeed. He forget he's a federal agent first and vengeance machine second. "I know you murdered somebody!" Ressler outrages! But the real outrage is that if he knows where there's a goddamn body he should go and get it and then come back and make an arrest! I know it was established that they can just breeze out of jail anytime they want but that doesn't mean Ressler should stop trying.

And he did it in front off Panenbaker too! She just walks off with a smirk even though a federal agent just accused the NSA of murdering someone like Wright. This show! This effing show!

Edited by norask
  • Love 1

I liked it very much but then again I stopped looking for 'realism' and am just looking for emotional tone and it all mostly worked. Aram was awesome. I loved his standoff with the shaky hand knowing he was in way over his head. Lizzie is the box was fun too. Ressler and Tom and the standoff with Solomon worked for me as well. The only thing that didn't work for me wasHarold and his wife. Time and place people. Time and place.

• Love 4

That scene with Aram pulling the gun on the Director was great.  I kept wondering why someone in that office didn't just pull out a weapon and lock all these shady people up in that box until some higher-up could show up and sort everything out once and for all.

Not only was Aram's hand shaking like crazy when he confronted the bad guys, he was so scared, he also had a long string of snot hanging from his nose.  Now THAT'S being committed to a character and a scene!  I'm glad Red appreciates his efforts.

I think my "Blacklist" spin-off idea, starring Red, Tom, and Denbe, can add Aram to the cast.

• Love 6

I was reading through the episode, so just sort of picked up on a few scenes--will have to rewatch later.  However, I do think that if Red wanted to show some appreciation to Aram, he might have considered Aram's reaction to a clandestine meeting next to an open grave.  Speaking of time and place...

And this whole "I know you were framed" thing by Ressler--he does know that there were multiple witnesses to her murder of whatshisname, right?

• Love 1

I was reading through the episode, so just sort of picked up on a few scenes--will have to rewatch later. However, I do think that if Red wanted to show some appreciation to Aram, he might have considered Aram's reaction to a clandestine meeting next to an open grave. Speaking of time and place...

And this whole "I know you were framed" thing by Ressler--he does know that there were multiple witnesses to her murder of whatshisname, right?

It's not the murder is the spying:espionage. Liz needs to prove she is not a spy and once she does she can prove killing the other dude was justifiable homicide.

Okay, so what I couldn't figure out was, after Ressler and Tom (and Karakurt) shot how many extras ... I mean, Black Ops-type guys, all of them suddenly got morals and wouldn't kill  Solomon? So easy to toss his dead body into the cabin and say he was one of the casualties. Too bad, so sad, Solomon. 

I also got a charge out of how all the extras/Black Ops guys were wearing full body armor, yet Ressler and Tom (and Karakurt) killed each one cleanly, one shot each. I was wondering, after the first guy snuck in and was killed, why they didn't take his kevlar and put it on Karakurt. But I guess they didn't need to bother since none of those three were getting killed anyway.

Will the Cleaner Lady come and take care of the neighbor's beautiful back-woods cabin, which is now in shambles?

What was up with Red digging a 6-ft. grave so he could meet with Aram in the dead of night next to it? The heck, Red. That's what cell phones are for.

I did love me some Aram riding his bike to the meet. He just gets better and better. I agree with adding him to the Red/Tom/Ressler/Dembe Show.

I was wondering why Ressler didn't toss Solomon into that Box, since it was full of that "malfunctioning" gas. He could have knocked Solomon off on the Director's dime. System malfunction, guys! Sorry 'bout that!

Did Red just hand over a case full of American 100-dollar-bill plates to a foreigner so the world can be flooded with counterfeit American currency? Whaaaaa?

Wow!  That was a really exciting episode!  I'm so glad this Show is back!

There are a lot of plot holes, but I've learned to switch off my brain and just go for the ride.

Aram is quickly becoming my favorite character.  He was so determined for Liz not to get taken away that he pulls a gun, knowing that he can get killed anytime.  I was surprised they didn't stop the scene when Aram's nose started running.  Not very attractive, but realistic in this case.

I missed something:  how did Ressler know that Laurel was going to betray him to the Director?  I think Laurel said a name and Donald just looked slightly shook up and denied knowing this person.  At least Ressler knew to start moving quickly to rectify the situation.

How come Tom told Ressler not to shoot Solomon?  I thought Tom would be the last person to ever say that.  Is Tom turning into a Good Guy?????  Not sure I like that.  It was just so against Tom's hard character.

Red and Samar seems to be getting a little cozier.  Samar seems to be hugely amused by Red and his little stories.  I like her grin as she listened to Red babble on.

• Love 4

Her name was the password, you guys! I'm such a sucker for Aram. 

If you would have told me in Season 1 I would be genuinely worried/saddened by Tom's possible death I would have rolled my eyes so hard, but here we are.

I was very surprised when Tom didn't shoot Solomon himself, but I'm sure it's only for plot reasons so that Red can get his hands on him. No way he makes it after what he did to Dembe.

Edited by morgankobi
  • Love 3
I was surprised they didn't stop the scene when Aram's nose started running.

And that's one of the few times I am thankful for my ancient non-hi-def tv. I totally missed the nose snot thank you very much.

Originally, Red gave those money plates to the Backwoods Gang. How on earth would they even know what they were, much less how to print money? I know ... I am over thinking.

I'm liking Red and Samar. Very much.

• Love 2

I'm glad this show is back, but I'm another who has to turn my brain off to watch it. 

I did like the entrance of Panenbaker though at least she has some spunk. Soloman will always have my heart because of the action and a prior role he did, but I'm astonished they didn't kill him! 

I can't get over Aram selling out Liz to begin with, so while I thought his actions in this episode were great, I'm kinda over him as a character. 

Also, Reven's code was brilliant but am I really supposed to believe Laurel didn't immediately start searching who the hell Tommy Markin was? I mean really...eeeh, not so much! I wanna borrow Red's teleporter. 

One (of many) major plot hole that stood out. Here we have Laurel Hitchin, major player in The Cabal and general all-around baddie, sophisticated anti-government plotter, stone cold murderer, yada yada who oh so casually feeds Tommy Markin's name to Ressler.  Reven Wright was a lot of things, but stupid wasn't one of them. If those were her dying words, then even an idiot would think they were meant to be a message of some kind.

But, no. Instead, Hitchin repeats those words to the one person that Reven told he could trust Hitchin completely. Ressler even prefaced his statement to Hitchin with that fact.

And the 'cabin on Lake Yvonne'? It's completely off the gird. No cell service. How big (or how small) is Lake Yvonne? There could be 100s or 1000s of cabins up there. Even Ressler needed to get the address from Cooper. But the bad guys managed to show up exactly at the same time as he did.

Holes so big, they make my head hurt.

Ay yi yi.

I still enjoyed it and I'm happy it's back.

Edited by Rosebud1970
  • Love 1
So is Aram still hung up on Samar -- even after she banged Ressler ?  Or has that been completely forgotten.

I hope not. I want Samar to run off with Red, and they travel the world together via a variety of high-class ocean containers. But for some reason, my money is on the writers making Aram forget she screwed Ressler and putting them back together. The code word was the tell. Geesh Aram, couldn't you have used anyone's name but hers for the code? Even "PASSWORD" would have been better.

• Love 2

I may be in the minority here, but I really enjoyed the episode! A good way to start off the new second half of the season. 

I agree with whoever said they'd watch the Aram, Red, Tom and Dembe show!!

I really wish they killed Solomon and got rid of the CIA guy with the gray hair (his name escapes me).

I was pretty nervous for a minute that Tom was going to get shot. Loved his line about "did you even go to the academy?" Red had a lot of good lines tonight too!!

Happy the show is back!

• Love 4

What was with Aram threatening to go to the media and expose them all ?  He should have gotten a bullet from the Cabal just for threatening that.

I was kind of on pins and needles hoping that Aram wouldn't be killed off in this episode because I like the character. I was waiting for The Cabal to shoot him dead.

Soooo glad Dembe is out from behind bars, and loved the searing look he gave Solomon.

Dembe's my favorite character. Aram is my runner-up favorite.

Edited by Surrealist
  • Love 1

Welcome back, show! Despite the fact that you forced me to spend too many moments this evening going, "SHUT UP, Donald. STOP. TALKING. DONALD." I still missed you. And "did you even go to the Academy" indeed.

Seriously, holy crap, dude. After figuring out once that you'd trusted the wrong person, why would you not clam up and stop just randomly revealing facts to people. I get that you respect authority, but you don't know that woman from a hole in the ground. Why are you giving her pertinent information?! And why are you now telling her in front of everyone that she killed Reven? Have you not figured out that so many, many people around that place are shady AF? Shut up, Donald!

Aram is the best. From changing the password to pulling the gun to peddling up to the cemetery on his little bike, that guy is just all in on everything, and I love him. 

The look the Dembe gave Solomon at the end...Solomon is Dead Man Walking. I don't think he realizes it yet. Damn. 

Also, lol @ "...the law firm of Cooper, Cooper, Karakurt & Keen."

Edited by Risky Librarian
  • Love 4

It's not the murder is the spying:espionage. Liz needs to prove she is not a spy and once she does she can prove killing the other dude was justifiable homicide.

Justifiable homicide only applies if there's an imminent risk of death or serious bodily harm to the shooter or a potential victim, in such that the only way to remove the threat is to remove the person carrying out the threat. Tom Connolly was just standing and gloating- no one was under actual physical threat, and Elizabeth Keen shoot him in cold blood. It's a murder, plain and simple.

Keen's hope, in this case, is that once it comes to light that Connolly is some kind of a shady dude at the hands of a lot of other shady activities, the authorities might decide not to charge her because she killed someone who was a threat to the U.S.' security- "let it go for the greater good" kind of thing. I'm not sure there's a legal basis that protects her- her only way out is convincing the authorities that while she broke the law, and a very big law, the threat that Connolly posed substantiates taking such a drastic measure.

I'm pretty sure that's the route this show will take, which I think is ultimately unfortunate. Not because of the idea that Keen is getting away with murder- a lot of characters on this show get away with murder, comically so at times- but because of the wasted story potential. I've said it before and I'll say it again- this show could have really hit a lot of home runs if it bothered to explore "what does it mean to do the right thing", because characters are constantly thrust into roles where they have to ask themselves "what is the right thing to do?" Ressler in "Maiko Tanida". Cooper a couple of times, like in "Quon Zhang". Heck, you've got Ressler again in this episode, holding the gun to Matias Solomon's head. Then of course is the "moment of these moments", when Lizzie shot Connolly. Constantly our characters are asked to answer these questions, and it could have been all wonderful to explore. Instead, The Blacklist drops the ball.

Someone brought up Theo Galavan on Gotham and it's the perfect counterpoint. Here was a guy that ran roughshod over the city, did whatever he wanted and had the police- and the main protagonist Jim Gordon- frustrated at every corner. There was just no legal tactic or manoeuvre that the authorities could do that could corral the guy, let alone expose him for the evil scumbag that he was. Now, granted, Galavan's ability to dodge the police strained believability at times, but at least the story narrated what it should- that sometimes even if you think you're doing everything right, you can still do it all wrong.

So when the Penguin kidnapped Galavan- after Galavan managed to get the case against him tossed- and thrust him in front of Gordon by the docks, Gordon was faced with the ultimate choice:

Do I kill him now, and be rid of him for good even though it's morally and legally wrong? Or do I let him go, knowing that he could very well cheat the system again and make it that much harder to catch him again?

Those who've watched Gotham know how Gordon answered that question, but the fact remains that Gotham set up that story far better than The Blacklist did. It helps that Gotham at least had Gordon and Gotham police have quite a few successes in Season 1, establishing that they're not dunderheaded morons but rather credible protagonists, which is, sadly, a concept The Blacklist has just never understood.

Which is ultimately why its deeper questions never wind up being properly explored. When Ressler stood over Solomon, gun cocked and ready to blow off his head, is there any other feeling that comes to mind other than "you know you're going to regret this"? Sure, perhaps it could be said that Ressler's naivete and pedantic obsession with "the rules" is what makes him flawed, but it ultimately saps what would make him a truly compelling character. If there had been a moment where Ressler stuck to his principles and it worked, coupled with a moment where doing so truly did get the better of Solomon (and/or important members of The World Government) then the moment where he's got the gun to Solomon's head would have had a far greater impact and provided far more intriguing drama. Instead, all we know about Ressler is that he's yet another one of the "Keystone Kops" while the World Government's agents are practically indestructible and all-knowing, so there's no way to look at that scene (at least now, anyway) without believing the resolution will be Solomon getting the better of Ressler.

I wanted to write a huge, in-depth analysis of this episode- like I normally do- but I found this episode to be way too middling to deserve that kind of analysis. Instead, what I will say is that I have a gut feeling that Lizzie is being set up to be sacrificed to set up some angst for Red and the rest of the men on this show, and I'm utterly disappointed with that kind of resolution. It's a complete waste of a character, a fact doubly more disappointing in that this show has had three years to get it right and give Lizzie some actual characterization and agency and the show completely dropped the ball. I'm of the opinion that Lizzie should have been the show's central character, because the show's basic premise involved Lizzie's "normal life" spiralling downward into not-so-normal territory. The chance was there to make Lizzie the "audience surrogate", asking the questions that would not just allow Red to paint the world but to also serve a number of critiques about it. She could have very easily had an interesting story where she starts off believing the police and her life in general has a strict code of ethics to follow and only by doing that can the world work, only for her to learn, as her narrative moves forward, that sometimes she'll have to cut some corners, or many corners, because the world isn't as idealistic as it seems.

Conflict and drama was all there for that but...let's have a few car chase scenes and criminals who are way too smart at chemistry. Yeah...screw giving Lizzie anything substantive to do...never mind she's the lead.

Perhaps there's an argument to be made that Lizzie's time on the show should come to an end, as The Blacklist should just cut its losses and move forward with other thoughts and ideas, even though I'm not sure there's much of a chance for a revival in the ratings at this stage in the show's life. Or maybe I'm wrong. Still, I'm mad at all the wasted potential this show has, and I hope that if Liz truly isn't long for this show, I'm hopeful she'll at least go out memorably.

• Love 2

Justifiable homicide only applies if there's an imminent risk of death or serious bodily harm to the shooter or a potential victim, in such that the only way to remove the threat is to remove the person carrying out the threat. Tom Connolly was just standing and gloating- no one was under actual physical threat, and Elizabeth Keen shoot him in cold blood. It's a murder, plain and simple.

Keen's hope, in this case, is that once it comes to light that Connolly is some kind of a shady dude at the hands of a lot of other shady activities, the authorities might decide not to charge her because she killed someone who was a threat to the U.S.' security- "let it go for the greater good" kind of thing. I'm not sure there's a legal basis that protects her- her only way out is convincing the authorities that while she broke the law, and a very big law, the threat that Connolly posed substantiates taking such a drastic measure.

I'm pretty sure that's the route this show will take, which I think is ultimately unfortunate. Not because of the idea that Keen is getting away with murder- a lot of characters on this show get away with murder, comically so at times- but because of the wasted story potential. I've said it before and I'll say it again- this show could have really hit a lot of home runs if it bothered to explore "what does it mean to do the right thing", because characters are constantly thrust into roles where they have to ask themselves "what is the right thing to do?" Ressler in "Maiko Tanida". Cooper a couple of times, like in "Quon Zhang". Heck, you've got Ressler again in this episode, holding the gun to Matias Solomon's head. Then of course is the "moment of these moments", when Lizzie shot Connolly. Constantly our characters are asked to answer these questions, and it could have been all wonderful to explore. Instead, The Blacklist drops the ball.

Red will get a fancy lawyer and pull a 'stand your ground'-style defense because Lizzie felt threatened at that very moment by Connolly because of the Cabal -- they will just ignore the cop she killed or any of the other crimes she committed since she shot Connelly, she gets off scot-free and gets her old job back. Ta-daa !!!

Heck for good measure, they may even reward her for ridding the world of Connolly and exposing the Cabal by giving her a prom-night dumpster baby they found.

Because haven't you heard -- Lizzie really wants a baby.  Heck, they may even give her a new dog since her old dog died of neglect and loneliness back at her motel room -- she could even name the dog 'Karakurt'.

• Love 2

Once again, the Blacklister of the week doesn't die and isn't incarcerated by the end of the episode -- why do they even bother naming Blacklister's at the top of the episode anymore ? Since it really doesn't mean anything -- and hasn't for quite some time now.

This was only Part 1 of a two-parter. We will likely find out the Director's demise next week.

Edited by calipiano81

Sign me up for yelling at the screen, "You're an idiot" every time Donald took his moral high ground and made things worse.

I'm glad Aram and Samar no longer with the FBI. It frees them up to do more with Red. That should be a lot of fun.

Should be interesting to see how they will deal with Meagan Boones pregnancy.

• Love 1

I don't understand why some parts of the show are really good (shoot out at the cabin, anytime Red talks) and others are so bad? Liz. I hate the character so much and just wish they would kill her but know they aren't so why do they pretend to? I am loving Tom more and more. His "did you even go to the academy?" was great! And he should have know Donald would never had shot Solomon. Not Mr do the right thing. This show could be great but....

"I'm glad Aram and Samar no longer with the FBI. "

[My quote function isn't available, apologies.]

How do we know for sure that Aram has been fired or quit? How did that play out? I may have missed it by fast forwarding too vigorously.

Edited by Biggie B

How do we know for sure that Aram has been fired or quit? How did that play out? I may have missed it by fast forwarding too vigorously.

I think Aram is still with the FBI -- he was initially grabbed and cuffed by the Director's men, but by the time the National Security Adviser got off the phone with the Director of National Intelligence, Aram was uncuffed and standing around for Lizzie to kiss him on the cheek on her way out the door with Ressler.

I thought that it was clear (at the grave) after Red told him to select his own team after stating he was in his debt forever for saving Lizzie. I never thought that it implied that Aram was still with the FBI.

I know this is a reality based thought, but, I doubt he could keep his job after pulling his gun on higher ranked employee within the organization no matter the circumstances unless it was to arrest the person.

Edited by Noirprncess
  • Love 1

To be fair, it seemed pretty clear that Aram was the only one actively opposing The Director's team. As far as anyone else knew, it was legit, or at best confusing.

What was with Aram threatening to go to the media and expose them all ?  He should have gotten a bullet from the Cabal just for threatening that.

That's what i thought was going to happen when we saw Aram on his bike, but he met Red, instead. In any case, given Aram waved a gun around at The Director, he should be in jail regardless of the conspiracy. The insiders knew what happened, but there were a lot of witnesses who didn't. It wasn't like they hauled The Director and others off to jail.

Most of this ep worked because Lizzie was once again not driving anything. She was a plot device that had to be moved from place to place while others did the work. That's when Blacklist is at its best.

• Love 1

Most of this ep worked because Lizzie was once again not driving anything. She was a plot device that had to be moved from place to place while others did the work. That's when Blacklist is at its best.

Heh. "Okay Megan. Just sit here. They're going to handle everything this week. DON'T. TOUCH. ANYTHING."

• Love 1
Why didn't Tom take the gun and kill Solomon himself? He's murdered a bunch of people before.

I was very surprised when Tom didn't shoot Solomon himself, but I'm sure it's only for plot reasons so that Red can get his hands on him. No way he makes it after what he did to Dembe.

I thought for sure that's where that was going. When Ressler flipped him over to cuff him, I pre-emptively flinched waiting for Tom to shoot.

Agree with all who say, just enjoy the ride. Enjoy JS and his impeccable delivery and timing, and ride it out!

Finally got around this, and it was a fun return overall.  I mean sure, it was silly that the show would think anyone would really think Lizzie was going to die, The Director and Laurel continue to really be no match for Red once you look past them being played by David Strathairn and Christine Lahti, and Ressler is still Ressler, but hey, it was fun to watch.

Aram sure step up in this one and Amir Arison shined.  Only real misstep was the random moment when he threaten to go to the press, because really, Aram.  You really think the Cabal isn't capable of offing you, before you even get outside?  Besides that, I liked his loyalty to Liz and how he seems to realize that, at this point, Red is the man to follow.  Almost makes me forget about how he ratted out Samar because he was pissed she slept with Ressler.

Speaking of Samar, I totally agree she and Red almost seemed flirty in all of their scenes.  Not sure where this was all going, but it is refreshing to see her do something different other then spout exposition, like she tended to do in FBI land.

Ressler and Tom reunite, which delights me.  Those two are just so fun together, especially since Ressler clearly hates Tom.  But Tom stepping up and talking Ressler down from executing Solomon was an interesting scene.  He might regret it since I can totally see Solomon wiggling out, but interesting none the less.

Still not sure why I should care about Harold and his wife.  I guess I'm suppose to feel bad over them falling apart, but I still find her to kind of sucks, and think Harold should just move on. 

Red manipulates powerful people to do his bidding for the hundredth time, and yet James Spader somehow makes it fun to watch and not too repetitive. 

"Did you even go to the academy?" lol

Greatest line in the episode!  Tom was just so annoyed :)   Seriously, I could get behind a Ressler/Tom frienemies partnership and I especially liked the little nod Tom gave when Ressler listened and didn't kill Solomon.  My absolute favorite part of that whole scene was Tom's leaning down to help Ressler pull Solomon upright.  It felt very parternshippy :)

And I love how Red is assembling his own crew of rogue F.B.I agents-nicely played.

• Love 1
"Did you even go to the academy?" lol

Definitely the best line of the episode.  Of course, now I am wanting a blacklist with Red, Tom, Ressler, Dembe, Navabi and Aram.  It'll be like a better Ocean's 11.

And I love how Red is assembling his own crew of rogue F.B.I agents

This makes me happy.  Can't wait to see how Red's plan works out.

Solomon is great but he's so eeeeeeevil that I'm ready for his character to take a break for awhile.  Maybe he's got a Nice Twin?