Type keyword(s) to search

The Expanse in the Media

ApathyMonger
  • Start Topic

Sigh....  I really need to stop being surprised when an actor I enjoy ends up being a scumbag.  Cas Anvar is being investigated for numerous accusations of sexual harassment and sexual assault.  The article goes into more detail, but it really, really doesn't look good.

Spoiler

I really can't see the series delving far enough from the books to kill Alex, so I'm guessing a recast is happening, although I believe season five is already in the can.  I don't see them reshooting the season, but I'm curious to see how this is going to play out.

(edited)

Yeah, I read some of that a couple of days ago. Depressing, and infuriating. If those allegations are true, Cas is an absolute dickhead. The crimes he's accused of are despicable, and I would hope that he's fired if they turn out to be true.

But also, he's completely fucked Amazon (after being one of the biggest campaigners for them to rescue the show) and his colleagues on the show. What are they supposed to do now, with an already filmed season five, if one of the principal cast members has been revealed to be a sexual predator? 

The creators, and the rest of the cast certainly aren't taking this lightly. I appreciate what Dominique Tipper and Wes Chatham have already said about this on social media. And Steven Strait has even managed to leave his social media free bubble to issue a statement saying the issue is being dealt with with the utmost seriousness.

Edited by Danny Franks
  • Love 1
On 6/27/2020 at 6:23 AM, thuganomics85 said:

Sigh....  I really need to stop being surprised when an actor I enjoy ends up being a scumbag.  Cas Anvar is being investigated for numerous accusations of sexual harassment and sexual assault.  The article goes into more detail, but it really, really doesn't look good.

Reveal spoiler

I really can't see the series delving far enough from the books to kill Alex, so I'm guessing a recast is happening, although I believe season five is already in the can.  I don't see them reshooting the season, but I'm curious to see how this is going to play out.

I was sick to my stomach when I found out about this. Like you said, I should stop being surprised but I guess I'm asking too much of humanity at this point. Honestly disgusting and I hope he is fired.

Spoiler

They'll probably have to release season 5 as it is, if anything maybe edit down any scenes with just his character involved. I hope they do recast him not just for the story's sake, but I feel like it would be a huge slap in Cas's face. To see that he isn't needed for the show to go on. While it might not serve as justice to his victims, it would at least hurt his pride.

• Love 4

Yikes. I am hoping that they do a reedit of his scenes to get them as small as possible and maybe do a disclaimer at the beginning of each show.

Then season 6 they can recast or shot him out of an airlock for all I care.

It's just so disappointing that again it's an open secret that he is a complete piece of shit, but it took this long for someone to come out and be heard and believed.

I really hope that Steven Strait is an ok guy, I have loved him since Sky High. Please let me keep some of my childhood intact.

On 6/27/2020 at 6:23 AM, thuganomics85 said:

Reveal spoiler

Read about this a few days ago. Absolutely appalling. My heart goes out to the women he victimized.

(edited)
On 7/2/2020 at 7:37 AM, Gillian Rosh said:

Read about this a few days ago. Absolutely appalling. My heart goes out to the women he victimized.

There is an eerie parallel here to his skeevy character on The Strain, if true.

Edited by Tachi Rocinante
Grammar
(edited)

It's been a month since this story broke-- any Cas Anvar news?  Still investigating?

AFAIK they have the set well in place, and this cast seems pretty dedicated, so I could see them re-casting Alex and going back to re-shoot and re-edit.  On the other hand, if we excise every piece of art the production of which involved a bad person, there might not be all that much left.  

I could understand them airing with a disclaimer but I'd hate to see it. 

Edited by JZL
  • Love 2
30 minutes ago, marinw said:

There's another complicating factor. The ninth book in the series, which doesn't yet have a title or release date, is set to come out sometime in 2020. We'd expect new episodes and the final book to come out a couple months apart to maximize hype.

So, what will be first - volume 9 or season 5? I was hoping the book would be released this summer but so far only *crickets* 

• Love 1

No, volume 9 is supposed to be the final book. The 2020 release date was only mentioned in a tweet and even there it did not sound definite. Since we still not even have a book title I'm starting to think that season 5 will be first.

• Useful 2
On 7/28/2020 at 5:58 PM, MissLucas said:

No, volume 9 is supposed to be the final book. The 2020 release date was only mentioned in a tweet and even there it did not sound definite. Since we still not even have a book title I'm starting to think that season 5 will be first.

I think in one of those articles Wes Chatham "they" (cast?  whole production company?  something in between?) hope to do all nine books.  Why not?  Only five to go.  Mom has been on that long, ffs.

• Love 1
On 7/25/2020 at 10:59 PM, JZL said:

It's been a month since this story broke-- any Cas Anvar news?  Still investigating?

AFAIK they have the set well in place, and this cast seems pretty dedicated, so I could see them re-casting Alex and going back to re-shoot and re-edit.  On the other hand, if we excise every piece of art the production of which involved a bad person, there might not be all that much left.  

I could understand them airing with a disclaimer but I'd hate to see it. 

So its almost been two months, anyone hear anything about Cas Anvar and his role on The Expanse?

On 7/31/2020 at 1:10 AM, JZL said:

I think in one of those articles Wes Chatham "they" (cast?  whole production company?  something in between?) hope to do all nine books.  Why not?  Only five to go.  Mom has been on that long, ffs.

It also doesn't hurt that the richest man in the world, who owns the studio, is a big fan of the show.

• Love 1
46 minutes ago, Just Here said:

Wednesday, December 16th, with a single new episode released each following Wednesday, until the season finale on February 3rd.

I like this! It gives me something to look forward to, and more time for us to absorb and discuss each epsiode.

Avasarala  not being the head of the UN has not dampened her fashion sence.

Guess I'm renewing my Prime membership, now that Bell has included the app in Fibe.

Edited by marinw
  • Love 2
5 hours ago, xaxat said:

Commissioner Burrell! 

I guess he never got out of Baltimore.

Interestingly, neither IMDB or Wikipedia lists his (Frankie Faison's) casting in The Expanse, at least so far. I wonder how many other surprises we might see in this and/or upcoming seasons. I'm keeping book spoilers out of this, but there are certainly several characters in the books that I am hoping we'll get at least a glimpse of this season.

EDIT: You know, we've had both Cutty and Burrell on the show now, can we get a cameo in which a distant relative of Clay Davis shows up and says "sheeeeeeeiit?"

Edited by btp
  • Love 4

I like the approach - HBO Max did the same thing with Raised By Wolves (even though the ending was WTF).

I tried really hard last year to ration the episodes but ended up binging it anyway; I agree that this will allow for better and timely discussion.

If they do the book justice, this will be a landmark season.

• Love 4
9 hours ago, Tachi Rocinante said:

I like the approach - HBO Max did the same thing with Raised By Wolves (even though the ending was WTF).

I tried really hard last year to ration the episodes but ended up binging it anyway; I agree that this will allow for better and timely discussion.

Concur with your take on Raised by Wolves, which I loved at least until that ending.  Afterwards, I searched the interwebs for Landshark gifs and found surprisingly few.

Luckily (?), I have the ability to ration episodes so I'd rather have them drop at once, but if the trade-off is better post-ep "afterparty," it's prolly worth it.  The makers of this show seem to be really into fan interaction so it oughta be good.

2 hours ago, Haleth said:

I wonder too. Would we rather they recast the role or create a new character?

The synopsis for the season still includes Alex in the storyline:

Bobbie (Frankie Adams) and Alex (Anvar) confront the collapse of Mars as they chase a shadowy cabal with ties to terrorists and criminals

Bobbie does have other people on Mars we got glimpses of who could slot into her storyline. On the other hand, I’d like to see Alex’s story with his wife and son wrapped up. I could go either way, if they did an excellent job on the recasting.

3 hours ago, xaxat said:

I'm kind of surprised considering that the owner of the studio and richest man in the world is apparently a big fan of the show.

Surprised by what? Season 6 being the final season?

24 minutes ago, ahisma said:

The synopsis for the season still includes Alex in the storyline:

I’m pretty sure Season 5 was pretty much done (at least filming was finished) when the allegations were made public. But it will be interesting to see what they do with his story line in Season 6.

• Love 1
8 hours ago, MissLucas said:

There's got to be  a lot of story-line compressing in season 6. Season 5 will cover volume 5 & 6 of the book series, volume 9 is announced for next year.

Persepolis Rising is pretty padded though you could compress that quite a bit. You could also strip back and cut out quite a bit of the whole Duarte story to a few key elements and make the conflict less one sided. I suspect we are going to see the Duarte story in the front half of season 6 and do a wrap up and Alien story in the back half.

• Love 2
On 11/25/2020 at 6:29 PM, ahisma said:

Oh, dang. I love the Alex character and storyline, but it’s going to be uncomfortable watching Anvar onscreen in s5.

I do wonder if there's been some re-editing so he will be onscreen as little as possible.   I also really like Alex so I hope the character is recast for S6 and not jettisoned back to his family or whatever. 

• Love 3
On 11/25/2020 at 7:27 AM, Haleth said:

Cas Anvar has been dropped from the cast.

Does this mean he has been found guilty of the acts that he has been accused of? Or is this another case of #BelieveAlmostAllWomen ?

3 hours ago, Netfoot said:

Does this mean he has been found guilty of the acts that he has been accused of? Or is this another case of #BelieveAlmostAllWomen ?

Most likely it means the show didn't want to deal with the headache regardless of the outcome.

• Love 3

I do like that they will be releasing the show weekly (after they drop the first 3 episodes.)

When it's a really good show - I like it that way.  Have time to mull over it.  The Boys S2 ratings went up when they did this.

I am sad they they are ending after the 6th season.  It sounds like they are stopping after the sixth book? Maybe.  Or they could be compressing the last 3 books.  Wasn't a fan of the 7th book.  But the 8th was fantastic.

• Love 1