Type keyword(s) to search

The Expanse in the Media

ApathyMonger
  • Start Topic

Netflix has acquired "The Expanse" for global distribution outside of the US, Canada and New Zealand

Netflix has acquired Syfy space drama The Expanse as an original series internationally. Season 1 will be available to stream for Netflix members outside of North America and New Zealand beginning November 3, with Season 2 slated for 2017. Legendary Global TV Distribution acquired the international distribution rights to the series from Alcon TV Group in 2014. It premiered on Syfy in the U.S. in summer 2015, and Season 2 is set for premiere in 2017.

http://deadline.com/2016/10/space-drama-the-expanse-streaming-netflix-1201834745/

Premieres Feb 8, 2017

Looking forward to this.  Bobbie looks great - she's my second fave character after Avasarala, so I'm pleased that they cast someone who seems to fit the character.  I enjoyed the first season so checked out the books and finished those in a couple of weeks.  Can't wait for Babylon's Ashes to come out next month. 

• Love 2

I was planning to re-watch season 1 before season 2 started.  And it would have worked perfectly as all the episodes were On Demand and on SyFy with an expiration date of December 14.

Then only the last five episodes (really six, because #9 was #9 & #10) were available - until December 14.

And then at some point in November I noticed that there were no longer any full episodes unless I was willing to pay ....

Thanks sooo much GE-Universal.

The Expanse is on Netflix in the UK. I've got it on Blu-ray anyway, but still watched it all again in the last couple of weeks. I was happier with the scenes of Eros, post-lockdown, this time. I think my expectations were just too high, when I first watched.

Can't wait for the second season, which should be at a much faster pace than season one.

That trailer looks amazing. I love the highlighting of intra-human conflict, which isn't something that's really been big in sci-fi. And Bobbie looks badass.

Over the holidays I enrolled in Amazon Prime for shipping, then discovered they have The Expanse available on video.  You can get a 30 day trial subscription then cancel before the trial is up.  (Incidentally, the also have Humans which is another I was looking for.)  I'm half way through season 1 again and am enjoying it more this time.  Can't wait for season 2 and Bobbie!

I smh about the trailers when they say it's a cross between Battlestar Gallactica (ok) and Game of Thrones.  Seriously?  Only in the very broad sense that it features a number of factions in conflict.  Other than that it is nothing like GoT.

Edited by Haleth
  • Love 1
On 1/4/2017 at 3:33 AM, Danny Franks said:

The Expanse is on Netflix in the UK.

On 1/4/2017 at 8:02 AM, Haleth said:

Over the holidays I enrolled in Amazon Prime for shipping, then discovered they have The Expanse available on video.

On Demand on Amazon Prime and on DVD at Netflix.

Interview with showrunner Naren Shankar (who also happens to have a PhD in physics and engineering).

As a long time watcher of they ups and (many) downs of Sci Fi/Syfy, this made me laugh,

“When I originally got the material, my agent said, ‘Hey, I’d like you to look at this script.’ They said, ‘It’s from the Syfy Channel,’ and I literally just hit Trash in my email. … Every year I would get material from them, and every year I would tell my agents, ‘I hate this. I’m not doing this.’ And so when the email comes in with the script, I’m like, ‘I’m sure this is just terrible.’ 

Yeah, I can't wait for season 2. Just rewatched season 1 on Netflix. Again.

I'm currently reading Babylon's Ashes, and now can't help but picture the TV characters in my head. Particularly Amos and Naomi, for some reason. 

Ty Franck and Daniel Abraham did an AMA recently, that had a lot if interesting information in it:

So, Wikipedia lists 9 novels in the series, with book 9 being released in 2019. Does anyone know if book 9 will be the last? So far I've managed to be 100% unspoiled for this show so I'm weary of reading any articles about the books/authors, but if I start going through withdrawal between seasons I don't want to make the mistake I made with Game of Thrones of starting a series without an end date in sight.

3 hours ago, coppersin said:

So, Wikipedia lists 9 novels in the series, with book 9 being released in 2019. Does anyone know if book 9 will be the last? So far I've managed to be 100% unspoiled for this show so I'm weary of reading any articles about the books/authors, but if I start going through withdrawal between seasons I don't want to make the mistake I made with Game of Thrones of starting a series without an end date in sight.

Ty Franck and Daniel Abraham have said that they planned for the series to last nine books, and I don't think anything has changed with that. It seems like they had the whole series planned out in advance, and have been able to hit each beat they intended, without being dragged off course. The opposite of what George RR Martin has done.

Book seven is due out this summer, I believe. And I'm fully confident that book nine will be released in 2019, as they've kept to their schedule of one book a year thus far.

• Love 1

Wonderful news palmaire...

...is it possible that we're witnessing a renaissance in TV? Seems after years of nonsense there's many good shows out there.  I'm so grateful for my DVR too. Life is good. 

It's a good thing shows now have short (8-13 epi) seasons and are staggered thru out the year. I don't have time to watch everything I want to.  Thank goodness for dvrs and on demand so I can watch things later.

SyFy have driven their brand into the dirt over the last decade or so, with crappy reality TV and low budget movies. They've put a concerted effort into rediscovering their roots with this current batch of scifi shows. And The Expanse is the figurehead for that.

It may not be getting the viewing figures, but it is getting the critical plaudits, and I reckon SyFy are happy with that. It will be a long while before people take them seriously as a channel again, but it looks like they're willing to stick at it.

So while I'm delighted it's been renewed for a third season, I'm not massively surprised. And I do need to reread the books nowl to remind myself what we'll have to expect.

• Love 1

With 13 episodes this season, I hope they get to the end of Caliban's War.  As others have mentioned, cliffhanger extraordinaire!

If they don't, they'll never catch up to the books unless it goes around 12 seasons.

Edited by Tachi Rocinante
  • Love 1

David Strathairn has been cast for a mysterious recurring role in the third season.  Starting reading the books over the summer, and I'm trying to think of a potential character he could be playing, but I'm comping up blank at the moment.  Still, I can't wait to see him here!

• Love 3
On 7/13/2017 at 2:06 PM, Haleth said:

^ I can't tell you how much I want that outfit.

I love that outfit!  The scene of her walking through the snow in it was gorgeous. 

David Strathairn yay!  I have a couple of ideas but don't want to add book spoilers here.

According to Entertainment Weekly, they announced at Comic-Con that Elizabeth Mitchell will also be appearing in the third season.  Spoilers about the book in the article as they 

Spoiler

wonder if she is playing Anna from the third book, since they claim her character will bring a "new, spiritual perspective to the series."

Haven't seen this mentioned anywhere else. S01E10, Leviathan Wakes, just won a Hugo Award in the category of Best Dramatic Presentation, Short Form at the 75th Worldcon held in Helsinki on August 11th. Hopefully the first of many. It beat out two episodes of Game of Thrones (The Door and Battle of the Bastards), one episode of Dr. Who, and one episode of Black Mirror.

• Love 7
On 8/22/2017 at 11:29 PM, NJRadioGuy said:

Haven't seen this mentioned anywhere else. S01E10, Leviathan Wakes, just won a Hugo Award in the category of Best Dramatic Presentation, Short Form

Great news. At least someone is watching this show!

It always confounds me how some shows get more traction than others.

Edited by marinw
  • Love 2

Does anyone have tips for fun panels or extra material of the show? I watched the commentaries on the season 2 DVD this week but most of them weren't very good so I need more to get my Expanse fix.

30 minutes ago, marinw said:

Do we have a date for Season 3?

I was just looking yesterday. It's been filmed but no premier date has been announced. Last year it started in April so we should be hearing something soon.  

• Love 1
On 1/3/2018 at 6:57 PM, Haleth said:
On 1/3/2018 at 6:24 PM, marinw said:

Do we have a date for Season 3?

I was just looking yesterday. It's been filmed but no premier date has been announced. Last year it started in April so we should be hearing something soon.  

Th current "best intelligence" is after the end of the Winter Olympics but before April.

See these threads:

https://www.reddit.com/r/TheExpanse/comments/7o05j0/when_is_season_3_slated_to_air/

https://www.reddit.com/r/TheExpanse/comments/7rcrkk/we_may_not_have_a_date_for_season_3_but_weve_got/

https://www.reddit.com/r/TheExpanse/comments/7p8dc7/any_idea_regarding_the_air_date_of_season_3/

And...

Spoiler

it is thought that "Season 3 will begin at Chapter 38 of "Caliban's War" with Bobby taking over Mao's yacht.": https://www.reddit.com/r/TheExpanse/comments/7p30s2/season_3_starts_at_chapter_38_of_calibans_war/

• Love 1