Type keyword(s) to search

The Expanse in the Media

ApathyMonger
  • Start Topic

(edited)

I don't know why it took so long for me to figure it out, but I don't have a DVR and I don't watch The Expanse on our cable access box.  However, my computer is quite capable of watching Show without me, live streaming on Xfinity (which, as an owner of Show, or a cousin-property of GE-Universal, or whatever the hell Parent Corporation is calling itself these days, should indeed be tracking Household's viewing habits), so it could be counted.  Syfy, did you count it?  Syfy, my computer will continue to watch live while I watch at a more leisurely pace in the +3.  I promise!  Syfy, are you listening?

Edited by kassygreene
6 hours ago, btp said:

According to Cas Anvar, yes. The cynical side of me wonders if this wasn't all just orchestrated by the Suits at SyFy as a ploy to get their live view numbers (and ad revenue) up. And if they suddenly announce today or tomorrow that they've rescinded their decision after a big uptick in the ratings, I'm going to have a hard time not feeling like we've all been played. But if it gets us a Season 4 commitment, I'll forgive them for it. At least for now.

The cynical side of me thinks that they lost interest, and planned to can the show, but now they've seen how unpopular the decision is, and the goodwill that NBC got for saving Brooklyn Nine-Nine, they're trying to placate people and get a bit of goodwill. I'm not at all convinced they'll go as far as to pay for another season, though. I think it's just a lazy attempt to look good.

I'd much rather Amazon or Netflix picked the show up (I know there are rumours that Netflix passed, but there's been nothing official), because they can do it far more justice when it comes to advertising, and the show would immediately get a bit more credibility simply by not being on the Syfy Channel.

(edited)

I just tried to give them "feedback" on the Syfy website by filling out their "Viewers Voice" bullshit thing. After providing all the info they asked for, I was told that I don't qualify to participate. WTF. 

Edited by lidarose9
typo

I was the crazy conspiracy nut last summer who was half convinced that Netflix canned Sense8 in an attempt to piss the fans off, start a big save our show campaign, getting them lots of free publicity, and then they got to swoop in as the Big Damn Heroes to give the fans a movie to wrap the story up. So, while I guess I dont really think thats what happened then, or whats happening here...it is certainly interesting that they cancelled a critically acclaimed show with a huge fan base right as they're making a big deal about going back to their science fiction roots, and now they are getting way more media buzz for this show than they have in the past due to fun outcry. Or they may just see how much goodwill NBC got for saving B99, and want some of that too. 

Or it could just be it was super expensive, they didnt have the rights to the show, and they might just bring it back because they want to bring it back. I dont care why it come back, I just want it back!

• Love 1

It must be said.

How. THE FUKK. Did The Walking Dead manage to pull nearly eight million viewers every Sunday night for the worst season of television probably ever of all time, and not even a half a million people are appointment watching The Expanse on a Wednesday??

HELP ME UNDERSTAND WHY PEOPLE LIKE TRASH WHEN THEY CAN HAVE TREASURE.

Help.

• Love 7
33 minutes ago, zobot81 said:

It must be said.

How. THE FUKK. Did The Walking Dead manage to pull nearly eight million viewers every Sunday night for the worst season of television probably ever of all time, and not even a half a million people are appointment watching The Expanse on a Wednesday??

HELP ME UNDERSTAND WHY PEOPLE LIKE TRASH WHEN THEY CAN HAVE TREASURE.

Help.

People are mentally lazy. They watch shows that are hyped, regardless of whether they're good or not. You can't tell me that The Walking Dead has been great. Ever. Same with The Big Bang Theory, NCIS, CSI Big American City. Did they have over ten million eager fans, desperate to see what happened next? No, but they were on, and people were told they were good, or at least remembered when they were good. So they kept watching. That's the only logic I can ascribe to such mediocrity getting so many people to watch.

Even Game of Thrones became more a product of hype and media salivation than actual quality. 

• Love 1
29 minutes ago, Danny Franks said:

You can't tell me that The Walking Dead has been great. Ever.

Yes, I can :)  It was, in the beginning.  TWD isn't a good comparison because it came with a ready-made comics fanbase.

Cas Anvar said, in his Twitter convo I think it was, that not many people watch The Expanse live but a huge amount DVR and watch later.  I guess there's some way they can tell from the DVR boxes, I don't really know.  The Expanse is one of the few shows I watch live, DVR, and then watch later anyway.  Then of course there are the thousands who watch on streaming platforms and Syfy doesn't get any of that revenue. 

The Expanse Hits One Of Its Highest TV Ratings In Years

from the article

Overnight ratings numbers showed that the May 16 episode drew an audience of 609,000, one of the highest-rated episodes in more than two years. The April 11 season premiere was one of only two episodes in the past two years to top that total, drawing 654,000 viewers. The March 1, 2017, episode attracted 625,000 viewers. Beyond that, it had been nearly two years since the show consistently topped 600,000 viewers. The all-time ratings high for The Expanse came for its pilot episode in December 2015, when it drew 1.19 million viewers. The show was a cornerstone of Syfy’s rebranding effort that saw it shift to more science-fiction programming.

(edited)

So I just checked: Netflix Canada doesn’t have The Expanse, Crave TV has the first two seasons. What are the streaming options in the US? I think part of the problem is that it is hard for people to check out The Expanse with limited streaming options.

Netflix has HUGE budget shows like The Crown and Altered Carbon. So The Expanse seems like a show they would do.

Edited by marinw
1 hour ago, Danny Franks said:

You can't tell me that The Walking Dead has been great. Ever. Same with The Big Bang Theory, NCIS, CSI Big American City.

I don't do zombies so I never watched the Walking Dead but I have to disagree with you about the next two you listed.  The Big Bang Theory is the only sitcom I watch but I watch it devotedly.  They sing the song of my people (nerds -- big damn Sci-Fi loving nerds.)  I mean come ON -- Mark Hamill guest starred for the wedding episode last week and Steven Hawking appeared several times.  That's downright amazing. I also really enjoyed NCIS for several years.  It became formulaic and tired after a while but for a long time I LOVED that show.  It was probably due to the nerds (although I guess Abby is too Goth to be a real nerd.)

So I can love The Big Bang Theory and NCIS and still call The Expanse appointment television.  The real problem, I think, is that there are a lot of people who just don't want to watch science fiction.  My whole extended family once gathered around a TV at a beach house we were sharing to watch an episode of Farscape.  Two of my siblings (and their children) were into it but my older sister just gaped at us like she was Margaret Mead observing the Samoans. She took one look at D'Argo with his tentacles and Zhaan with her blue skin and just had to leave the room shaking her head.  Some people just don't get SciFi.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, WatchrTina said:

Some people just don't get SciFi.

Agreed.  My mother routinely referred to a classic TV show as "Crap-Trek".  Some people can't see the future that good Sci-fi lets us glimpse.  To them, it's all bodice-ripping, and actors in rubbery BEM suits.

15 hours ago, Danny Franks said:

People are mentally lazy. They watch shows that are hyped, regardless of whether they're good or not. You can't tell me that The Walking Dead has been great. Ever. Same with The Big Bang Theory, NCIS, CSI Big American City. Did they have over ten million eager fans, desperate to see what happened next? No, but they were on, and people were told they were good, or at least remembered when they were good. So they kept watching. That's the only logic I can ascribe to such mediocrity getting so many people to watch.

Even Game of Thrones became more a product of hype and media salivation than actual quality. 

I would give you half a heart if I could...only because....GAME OF THRONES IS ALL I HAVE LEFT!

• Love 1
13 hours ago, Netfoot said:

My mother routinely referred to a classic TV show as "Crap-Trek". 

That reminds me, Amazon Prime Video has a fan-favorite Star Trek TOS collection, 10 eps.  I mostly agree with the choices.  Anyhow, something to watch in between Expanse episodes?

21 minutes ago, JZL said:

Amazon Prime Video has a fan-favorite Star Trek TOS collection...

Unfortunately, 99.999% of Prime Video "isn't available in my area."  I still PAY the same as everyone else, but I'm not an American, so it's OK to rip me off!

• Love 1

It's always hard when a favorite show gets cancelled and some really hurt (Better Off Ted, Limitless, Dark Matter and of course Farscape come to mind) but I try to refrain from dissing other shows or people who watch them. It's not helpful although I understand the feeling and have at times vented in exactly the same manner. Some people love challenging tv that requires an intense committment others prefer shows that feel good and comfy like an old worn-out pair of slippers or shows that put them through over-dramatic emotional wringers in order to cleanse their system. Nothing wrong with that. The Expanse is a terrific show but it's not exactly soothing or relaxing tv - neither is GoT but HBO has more money and better business acumen than Syfy from the looks of it. 

That said I hope the show finds a new home - though I'm not sure Amazon is the right address since they're already committed to LotR. Better send an airplane over Netflix's headquarters.

• Love 4
12 hours ago, MissLucas said:

That said I hope the show finds a new home - though I'm not sure Amazon is the right address since they're already committed to LotR. Better send an airplane over Netflix's headquarters.

Early reports were that Netflix had rejected it almost immediately, though all news is sketchy at best and the most ostensibly reliable was coming from the Propmaster Jim Murray.  There's been nothing from him in days.

I also think that between now and then, Netflix cancelled Altered Carbon so who knows.  Netflix also renewed Lost in Space, which imho is flawed but a personal guilty pleasure.  The nut being that Netflix's current situation on sci-fi is unclear.

Amazon seemed a natural fit to me because they were already streaming s1&2 in the US plus they're selling all the books.  With shows like Electric Dreams and The Man in the High Castle, they seem committed to quality sci-fi.

6 minutes ago, WatchrTina said:

I just learned of this Expanse-based solar system map showing where the players are, episode-by-epiosde.

"We're sorry, this experience is not available in your geographical region."

Never understood this.  The Syfy network itself is available...  why block part of their related web content?  CBS is just as bad...

On 19/05/2018 at 4:48 AM, JZL said:

Early reports were that Netflix had rejected it almost immediately, though all news is sketchy at best and the most ostensibly reliable was coming from the Propmaster Jim Murray.  There's been nothing from him in days.

I also think that between now and then, Netflix cancelled Altered Carbon so who knows.  Netflix also renewed Lost in Space, which imho is flawed but a personal guilty pleasure.  The nut being that Netflix's current situation on sci-fi is unclear.

Amazon seemed a natural fit to me because they were already streaming s1&2 in the US plus they're selling all the books.  With shows like Electric Dreams and The Man in the High Castle, they seem committed to quality sci-fi.

I didn't even know that Netflix cancelled Altered Carbon. Can't say I'm sorry about that. I was looking forward to it so much, but it just wasn't any good. I know Netflix have said they want to focus on science fiction, but right now they don't have a great choice of shows for the genre.

Lost in Space, which I've not watched yet, but is supposed to be just alright.

Star Trek: Discovery, which they don't own.

Stranger Things, which is great, but not quite science fiction, at least not in the way most people expect.

And they have a few older, complete or cancelled shows. They could do with a proven commodity. But I don't really expect them to pick The Expanse up. Seems like they have somewhat misplaced confidence in their own ability to create good shows.

In my view, any premium channel that knows how to market successfully should be looking to secure The Expanse. But I'm constantly bemused by American viewing habits, so what do I know?

There is hope for The Expanse beyond its upcoming third season, which will be the sci-fi drama’s last one on Syfy. I hear Alcon Television Group, which fully finances and produces The Expanse, is in conversations with Amazon about picking up the critically praised series for Season 4. Sources stress the talks are still preliminary. Reps for both companies declined comment.

http://deadline.com/2018/05/the-expanse-amazon-talks-pick-up-season-4-canceled-syfy-1202395538/

• Love 4
(edited)

I was selfishly hoping for Netflix- I don’t subscribe to Amazon and would rather not. OTOH, Amazon does have some great stuff, like Man In The High Castle. Alas, Amazon seems like a closed system, I don’t recall High Castle being available elsewhere.

That said, Canadian cable channels such as Bravo do pick up high-end streaming shows like The Handmaid’s Tale and The Good Fight.

Also, Space is thought of the Canadian SyFy, but it is it’s own channel. It picked up the streaming show Star Trek: Discovery. It does seem to have a soft spot for shows filmed in Canada.

So we will see. Licensing is SO complicated.

Edited by marinw
  • Love 1

There has been talk that Jeff Bezos is a fan of the books, and perhaps of the show too, so if that's the case, then Amazon would be the best home for it. I have both Amazon Prime and Netflix, but prefer Netflix by far. The choice of shows and movies is much better, and most of Amazon's original stuff doesnt quite hit the mark for me.

But if Amazon had The Expanse,  they'd be guaranteeing that I wouldn't be cancelling in the foreseeable future.

Hollywood Reporter has a click-bait headline saying it's been revived by Amazon for s4, only to say in the first sentence they are "in talks" and "near" a deal.

Fuckin' media ho's . . .

• Love 2

Grrrr...I live out in the boonies and get both tv and internet via satellite. We have a 20gig monthly limit for full speed internet downloads without digging deep into the pockets to pay extra. Even watching a bunch of movie trailers quickly eats into that. As a result, any and all streaming of tv episodes is only a rare backup plan. First SyFy ditched Dark Matter for largely financial reasons (not having an ownership stake in it), now this. Other than the Magicians and Killjoys (though I'm not as invested in that) SyFy doesn't have any other original series I'm interested in.

7 minutes ago, Haleth said:

That sounds really hopeful. Getting ready to put on my happy dancing shoes. 

Now we Canadians have to get Space to carry it. It does seem to be their flagship show: https://www.space.ca/

Of cource, the VERY complicated licensing regulations may thwart the best of intentions. 

(edited)
10 hours ago, marinw said:

Here's a slightly more definitve article about Amazon:

https://news.avclub.com/amazon-decides-to-revive-the-expanse-proving-that-airp-1826210325

That article is only referring to another article which just says the same basic thing: There's talk going on. That's all we have. 

I don't think that Jeff Bezos's enjoyment of the show is what's going to decide it. It will be the numbers. So everyone should watch the show on SyFy and Amazon. Non US fans can watch it on Amazon too. 

Edited by Holmbo
  • Love 2
11 hours ago, Terrafamilia said:

Grrrr...I live out in the boonies and get both tv and internet via satellite. We have a 20gig monthly limit for full speed internet downloads without digging deep into the pockets to pay extra. Even watching a bunch of movie trailers quickly eats into that.

Us, too.  It's so frustrating to hear people say that streaming is the future when I know that future does not include me!  I have to have satellite tv!  I cannot rely on Netflix/Amazon/Hulu ...

I think those with cable internet have unlimited internet, and most completely take that for granted!

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Holmbo said:

That article is only referring to another article which just says the same basic thing: There's talk going on. That's all we have. 

I don't think that Jeff Bezos's enjoyment of the show is what's going to decide it. It will be the numbers. So everyone should watch the show on SyFy and Amazon. Non US fans can watch it on Amazon too. 

While I agree that Jeff Bezos is a businessman first and foremost, if I was worth $130 billion, and had the opportunity to make sure my favourite show was kept on the air... more than that, if I had the chance to own it, I'd be sorely tempted to just write the cheque and shrug off the costs.

This is what makes me more hopeful than if this was just a network negotiation. By all accounts, Bezos likes this show, and he definitely likes the books (he used Leviathan Wakes as part of a Kindle presentation, a few years ago). But whatever negotiations Amazon get through, I still don't think they will get full control of worldwide distribution of the show, because only Syfy cancelled their agreement with Alcon. Netflix and anyone else who bought up distribution rights for outside the US should still have them.

I can buy season 1 of The Expanse on Amazon Prime, here in the UK, but only Netflix has season 2, and it didn't get it until months after the show aired in the US. I did buy season 1 on bluray, when it became available (again, on Amazon), but there's no sign of that for season 2 yet. Streaming is a new form of distribution, and at the moment it seems more than a little chaotic, when it comes to licensing and formats and regions. But we live in a global world, and these companies, as well as ISPs and hardware providers, need to get things figured out so they can maximise their profits while reaching all of their target audiences.

• Love 2
On 5/21/2018 at 7:27 PM, Terrafamilia said:

Grrrr...I live out in the boonies and get both tv and internet via satellite. We have a 20gig monthly limit for full speed internet downloads without digging deep into the pockets to pay extra. Even watching a bunch of movie trailers quickly eats into that. As a result, any and all streaming of tv episodes is only a rare backup plan. First SyFy ditched Dark Matter for largely financial reasons (not having an ownership stake in it), now this. Other than the Magicians and Killjoys (though I'm not as invested in that) SyFy doesn't have any other original series I'm interested in.

That sucks.  I feel your pain.  I was on dial-up until 2004 and only then got 768kb radio.

On 5/21/2018 at 8:18 PM, marinw said:

Now we Canadians have to get Space to carry it. It does seem to be their flagship show: https://www.space.ca/

Of cource, the VERY complicated licensing regulations may thwart the best of intentions. 

Yeah, probably the big fear now is a so-called "rights-spiderweb."

• Love 1
(edited)

JUST ANNOUNCED personally by Jeff Bezos at ISDC2018 (annual conference of the National Space Society in Los Angeles), at which Bezos was a featured speaker: Amazon HAS picked up the show. The Expanse will be a Prime Original starting with Season 4. I'm sure more details will be forthcoming, but the show has been saved.

ETA: I guess I wasn't first to announce it. Check out brief video above. Well played, @anamika.  :) 

Edited by btp
  • Love 12

It worked! I'm so happy for everyone that put money and time in to promote the show. 

And for myself as well of course ? 

And all the people working on it. 

• Love 2