Type keyword(s) to search

S09.E26: Live Finale, Part 1

• Start Topic

Emily Ann may not have the best vocals, but she's the only one I feel who has charisma.  I enjoy watching her perform, and I think she's miles ahead of Danielle (during the course of the show) in terms of stage presence (not vocals).  I feel Jordan and Jeffery both have great voices, but there's no energy.  I agree with the poster who mentioned that Jeffery doesn't seem to connect with the audience, and that's so important. (Watch Adele perform, Jeffery.)  She won the night for me, so I hope she'll be able to make some connections after the show.  

Barrett is just horrible, and I actually had to mute him tonight.  I agree with PreviouslyTV that something needs to change with the voting system to prevent artists like Barrett from advancing to the finals.  He is by far the worst vocal performer to make the finals as far as I'm concerned. When I think how Cole Vosbury didn't make the finals because they only had a top three in season 5, I become steamed thinking about Barrett in the finals.  

Jordan leaves me cold.  He shows no emotion (see Jeffery) when he performs, and I feel sometimes that I'm watching a mannequin.  I think he's a more deserving winner than Sawyer, so I wish him well. 

Edited by Sammich63
  • Love 5

I like Barrett. I don't get all the hate on here for him. Shrug. But Jordan deserves the win and I agree with what Pharrell said, he needs to make a record that's true to him. Emily Ann will go very far, she already has on the show. I enjoy watching her. I hope she gets 2nd.

• Love 1

Good Gravy, I hated this show so much.  Cheese-ball-o-rama.  Worst song choices ever.  I felt like I was sitting in the audience of a really cheap no-frills cruise ship watching one of their "shows."  The only song I actually made it through from beginning to end was Leather and Lace but only because I love that song.  And I don't have anything nice to say about even that so I will just leave it there.

• Love 8

(I thought I replied, and then something happened. Forgive me if this becomes a double post).

Well, I'll give Adam Levine a pass for not knowing this Christmas song the same way I gave him a pass for not knowing Oceans for Deanna.

Confession time: I hate Christmas music.  I steadfastly avoid it on the radio.  Hearing it the 3-4 Sundays leading up to Christmas is good enough for me.  But I do know Mary Did You Know because its a pretty frequent Christmas Eve "special music" song choice.

I am in agreement about the Christmas music. I pretty much hate it - although not some of the slower (and seemingly religious) songs. Like O Holy Night and We Three Kings. But the peppy poppy stuff drives me nuts and I try to avoid it for the 3-4 months it is played in the winter. So, I, too have never heard of Mary Did You Know. It's a pretty song, I guess, but I assume it's newer than most.

The finale mostly bored me. I am not a fan of country music either, so having two country artists up there was not a lot of fun. Although, Emily Ann has grown on me through the season,  I think she got a little more animated or interesting? Barrett is awful, his voice is awful, his smarm is awful. I have no idea why he is in the finale. Jeffrey was very good, although I agree that he's  more musical theater than traditional recording artist. Jordan has the best voice, in my opinion, and therefore should win a show called The Voice. I don't know what he'll do after the show, but he deserves the win now. 

• Love 3

I'm right there in that minority with you. Agree 100%. Singing in a clear voice on pitch (mostly) does not make you the greatest thing since sliced bread. You could not  be a voice major in a college music program without being able to do that, and there are hundreds (maybe thousands?) of college music programs across the country. It's the same kind of dumbed down, low bar this show has about age, when the coaches freak out about someone being able to sing at 16, when in reality there are people singing professional opera at 16.

I find Jordan reasonably enjoyable in something poppy like "God Only Knows," but his overwrought renditions of the big, emotional ballads leave me cold. (And while one of my favorite Beach Boys songs, did they really need to do one with "God" in the title and lyrics? Would we have forgotten about Jordan's religious faith if they had sung "Barbara Ann?")

I think Jeffrey is a crazy talented singer, with maybe the best voice I've ever heard on any contest show, but man, he went right to the finish line singing the same freakin' song every damn time. I don't know if that was his decision, but a good coach would've gotten him to change it up. I think of how continually surprised, and entertained, people were when Adam Lambert did something different almost every week on his season of Idol. With guidance from a smart, creative coach, Jeffrey could've done the same thing.

While Gwen's coaching may have helped Jeffrey in the beginning, as time went on I think she more hurt than helped.  Last night he looked frightened on stage.  He really should have mixed things up more and done different types of songs.  Everything can't be a dirge.  He does have the best, most consistent voice in the competition.  He just didn't get to show it much.  And by last night he seemed so afraid, as of he wouldn't be able to reach notes that he has previously hit with no problem.  It's a shame he didn't have a coach that could have helped him more and gotten him to mix things up.

Jordan fulfills what this show pretends to be - showcasing performers who wouldn't get a chance otherwise.  Add in a heaping dose of Jeebus and we have ourselves a winner.  He does over sing the big numbers - a poor man's Michael Bolton  However he belts things out without showing real connection and he tends to get screechy.  He reminds me of when people were saying "loud is the new good".  He's not horrible by any means but he is certainly not the star they are trying to make him seem.  

I enjoyed the clip of Blake explaining to Barrett that doing produced numbers on a large stage all goes away after the Voice.  You still have to work your way back up from there.  while that is true for all of them, I felt a bit like Blake was saying "Hey, we got you to the finals, but you aren't winning this thing.  Get ready to go back to obscurity." 

The more I think about it, the more it bugs me that they forced the contestants to sing a "Holiday" song. There was no way that a contestant would sing anything but a Christian song especially with all the bigotry in the country against anyone who isn't Christian right now. I don't have a problem with secular Christmas songs that you hear in the mall (I don't like them due to hearing them for decades and decades but whatever). Mary Did You Know on the other hand, was incredibly offensive to me as an Agnostic. I should only have to hear shit like that when I go to church. Otherwise, stop pushing your beliefs on me.

Mary Did You Know was over the top for me too.  The song made my skin crawl.  We've had a lot of Christina music on this show.  Unfortunately (for me at least) it sells so they are going to keep doing it.  It would have been nice to hear more upbeat Christmas tunes.  

• Love 3

Our person who normally posts the iTunes stuff doesn't seem to be around this morning... so I'll give it a try.

As of 11:59 allegedly the top 10 includes:

1. Jordan- Mary Did You Know

2. Emily Ann- Burning House

3. Jordan- Climb Every Mountain

5. Jordan & Adam Duet- God Only Knows

6. Emily Ann & Blake Duet- Islands in the Stream

7. Barrett- Die a Happy Man

9. Jeffery- Stay

10. Jordan- Somebody to Love

So they all charted with at least 1 single in the top 10.  But Jordan has all 3 songs from last night plus last weeks song in the top 10. 

I forgot to mention the overwhelming what-the-fuckery of Barrett's jump to the middle of the stage, big sweeping arm movement during Rhinestone Cowboy. While everyone else under performed last night in terms of using the stage, Barrett, with this one movement, made up for all of them. The cheese is strong in this one.

• Love 3

Barrett is seriously mumbly and he has crazy eyes when he sings. I still think he faked tears last week to get in the finale after his song. But, Barrett is the winner this season deserves. That's what they get for pandering to country/CCR audiences at the expense of every other genre.

I'd love to see a season with no country coach just to give us a freaking break.

• Love 1

Barrett is seriously mumbly and he has crazy eyes when he sings. I still think he faked tears last week to get in the finale after his song. But, Barrett is the winner this season deserves. That's what they get for pandering to country/CCR audiences at the expense of every other genre.

I'd love to see a season with no country coach just to give us a freaking break.

What is CCR?  I am assuming its Contemporary Christian _____?  But I've only ever seen CCM (Contemporary Christian Music, I presume) so I'm wondering if I've go it wrong?

I can tolerate Blake when he doesn't have a "country army" as he put it one season.  I think I could have liked Emily Ann if she wasn't so Bluegrass Country. I can live with an upset from her.  In fact, can we trade her to country to get Cassadee Pope back into the Top40/Pop world?  But please no Barrett as the winner! 

Honestly, I don't get the hate here for the "Holiday Music" as one of the three genres the singers had last night.  I can understand some people being offended by the secular Christmas songs since there are so many non-secular standards the artists could have chosen.  I love Christmas music, secular and non-secular.  Granted, I pretty much OD on it post-Thanksgiving through Epiphany, lol, but I had no problem with it being one of the genres last night.

With respect to "Mary Did You Know" - my Christmas music collection is pretty varied and extensive - plenty of classic crooners, pop, country, choral, etc - and I don't have a single cover of MDYK, which is kind of bizarre because I know I've heard it before.  Not that it matters since Jordan's version was completely unmemorable to me.  But Jordan bores me.  A lot.  He'll win and that's fine enough, I suppose, though I'm not wowed by him in any capacity.  And don't get me started on how awful he sounded on "Climb Ev'ry Mountain".  I was reading along in here just as the show started and read a comment upthread about how he's no Audra McDonald and that left me remembering her glorious rendition of this song in the NBC Live event two years ago just as Jordan was hitting the climax of the song.  No, no, no.  Just no.

Barrett was fine on both of the songs I listened to, though I didn't pay a bit of attention to his "Silent Night".  It's probably one of my least favorite Christmas hymns and that certainly factored into why I tuned him out.  The other factor was Jeffrey's version of "O Holy Night" which IS one of my favorite hymns.  I have very fond memories of my grandmother playing that on her baritone at our church's Christmas Eve service every year, and I'm terribly picky about the covers of it that I own.  Jeffrey's is not one that I will ever download.  I didn't mind "Stay", probably even preferred it to the original but that has more to do with my distaste for Jennifer Nettles than anything else. 

I want to like Emily Ann, I really do.  She definitely has a cute stage presence but I find her voice just so thin that I can't fall in love with her.  She lacks power and it really bothers me, on pretty much every song she sings.  I don't think she'll get far in today's country music landscape.

• Love 2

I like Jordan, and I was happy with his performances. I liked the duet with Adam because I like God Only Knows when I'm in a schmaltzy mood. Though I would have preferred Sail On, Sailor, if they were doing Beach Boys.

Wow, I'm impressed. You must be a hard core BB fans to know Sail on Sailor. I didn't think anyone remembered songs from that early 70s Beach Boys period. "Holland" was a great album, in my book.

Barret Baber. Coming soon to a Holiday Inn near you. If you live in Arkansas. I can't comment on his performances, because I fast forwarded through them, as I've been doing for weeks. But sounds like his "Silent Night" was so awful I may have to go back and watch if for all the cheesy awfulness.

I live on the west coast in what would generally be considered a very non religious part of the country, and the Christmas music still plays all the time in public places. It's inescapable. But I think that if you're not a Christian, you differentiate between the secular kind of holiday songs that are part of American culture (like "White Christmas" or "Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas") and the religious ones that go full blast on Jesus and Mary. Given the almost evangelical bent of The Voice this season, not surprised that we mostly got the latter. It may not be meant that way, but it comes across as exclusionary. (What "war on Christmas?")

In terms of post-Voice careers, I think Emily Anne is the best bet, because she fits a very well defined (and marketable) niche. I guess Jordan will have his 15 minutes of fame in the Christian Contemporary market. Is there a Christian cruise ship line?

Edited by bluepiano
  • Love 4

I could care less what songs these guys sing, I listen to the voices (pun there) and the only time I did not flip channel was when Jordan sang, each time. I'm wondering what the judges are hearing during the performances since I heard a lot of flat and painful notes from Barret and the Sam Smith guy. I had to change channels until they were done, and the judges were finished going on and on about what great "stars" they are. I do like the blond girl singer, she has an excellent voice, but why do they keep giving her Dolly Parton songs? Oh ... because she sounds just like her.

Is Gwen feeling her age? She can't let an episode go by without dwelling on HOW YOUNG! some contestants are.

Jordan or the blond for the win. The other two ... so painful to my ears!

• Love 4

A short Christmas music aside.  In Japan, large stores now play Christmas music trying to create the shopping season we have.  I was in a large department store, hearing various songs in either Japanese or English, sometimes a little of each.  Most are recognizable, played with only minor changes.  Then I realized the song that was playing as an upbeat, almost dance song was an old hymn, one of the ones that really focuses on Jesus's death in detail - blood on the cross, thorn of crowns - totally not a Christmas song and usually very somber.  It was surreal to see people bopping along to this tale of gore.  A friend I was with pointed out that the death is important because it leads to the resurrection.  However, he felt pretty creepy being all peppy/happy about the death.  It was like Jesus died a horrible death - everybody dance now!  

While Silent night is clearly a religious tune, it is so much part of the cultural lexicon that I don't usually find it off-putting.  However, the ending of Barrett's version took it OTT for me.  I get it, dude,  Jesus.  Savior. Check.  Now go spread your smarm elsewhere.  I'm sure you have some squatting to do. 

• Love 3

I think in the past there has been some pandering on this show, but Jordan singing anything with a religious bent cannot be said to be pandering if the idea is to show people who you are. If it is coming from a genuine place then how is it pandering? And I say this as someone who is no fan of Jordan or Christian music. That said, I though this finale was BORING. Not a peppy song in the bunch. I had high hopes for Leather and Lace from the rehearsal footage. but then Jeffrey (who was my favorite going in) didn't engage with Gwen and also had a harsher delivery than the song called for.

• Love 2

In terms of post-Voice careers, I think Emily Anne is the best bet, because she fits a very well defined (and marketable) niche. I guess Jordan will have his 15 minutes of fame in the Christian Contemporary market. Is there a Christian cruise ship line?

TBTH, if there was a big winner from this "season," it might be Emily Ann. To me, she has made the biggest leap in terms of stage performing, growth, confidence, and vocals. I know Blake mentioned Taylor Swift and Carrie Underwood as models Emily Ann should follow, but the upscale for her is the fact that she is young and can adapt to pop as well.

I can see what's going through the evil minds of Mark Burnett and his henchmen for next season: find a deep voiced female singer, don't show her face, and have the four judges pounce like hungry hyenas over a zebra carcass in the blind auditions. 

Final results:

4. Who

3. really

2. cares?

1. Jordan.

See you next year, XTina!

I could care less what songs these guys sing, I listen to the voices (pun there) and the only time I did not flip channel was when Jordan sang, each time. I'm wondering what the judges are hearing during the performances since I heard a lot of flat and painful notes from Barret and the Sam Smith guy. I had to change channels until they were done, and the judges were finished going on and on about what great "stars" they are. I do like the blond girl singer, she has an excellent voice, but why do they keep giving her Dolly Parton songs? Oh ... because she sounds just like her.

Same here. I don't care that the songs were overly Christian/Christmas-y, because I think they are songs with pretty melodies. In other words, I would like the tune to "Mary Did you Know" even if the lyrics were something totally different. Then again, I was raised Catholic, and although I identify more as atheist these days, I still enjoy the pomp and circumstance surrounding the big Catholic holidays. 

Jordan will end up winning and make a contemporary Christian album, probably covers of most of the songs he's already done (plus hopefully "Only Hope", which is a song by a Christian band but made "famous" by Mandy Moore in A Walk to Remember). Will I buy Jordan's album? Nope. Will I listen to it on Spotify when I'm in a mellow sort of mood? Absolutely. Meanwhile, there's not a chance that I would ever seek out music (covers or original works) of any of the other contestants. Their voices and their talent are a dime a dozen. Emily Ann may have moderate success only because she will end up replacing some other aging blonde country star. Barrett and Jeffrey will be forgotten 5 minutes after the end of the finale. I blame America for choosing terrible finalists. 

It also doesn't bother me that Jordan has no stage presence, because 1) I don't watch music, I listen to it; and 2) I don't see big stage shows being the focus of his career (if he has one). He could manage to connect with audience in a forum like Adele's concert with practice (and age - he's still quite young). But he's never going to be the next Freddie Mercury, and he doesn't need to be, because that won't be his musical style going forward. 

• Love 4

What is CCR?  I am assuming its Contemporary Christian _____?  But I've only ever seen CCM (Contemporary Christian Music, I presume) so I'm wondering if I've go it wrong?

I think Pivot meant Creedence Clearwater Revival as shorthand for southern rock.

I like Jordan's Christmas song, maybe because I hadn't heard it before. I don't really see star power in Jordan but he's got a powerful instrument and in a cheesefest like the Voice, he's a worthy last person standing.

• Love 1

And, we'd be stuck with - a bunch of Jordan's, and Jeffrey's, whispery voiced women with guitars, and Adele wanna be's, and probably still no minorities in the top 10. Something to look forward to...

I'm not offended by other people's religions (and, I can't be in my line of work), so the holiday songs didn't bother me.  I would have preferred that they stayed away from some of the highly religious songs, since apparently there are viewers whose heads explode at the mention of the G or J words; I guess, it would be like having a show dedicated to earth day and songs about the environment, and, well, who wants two hours of that. I guess the main reason for throwing the Christmas songs in was itunes sales. I would love it if they just decided to avoid all religious and political songs all together. Maybe do what Idol does and have everyone sing a  Broadway show tune...er, unless some viewers find that horribly offensive.

I think Jordan will and probably should win this season, but I think it's Emily Ann who will wind up with the most successful career of this season's contestants. Partly because of her association with Blake, but also because she's a pretty decent singer,and seems to check off all the right boxes for a country singer, as I think someone said earlier. As for Jordan, assuming he wins, I can see him doing the National Anthem circuit for various events, Christian music, of course, and possibly a CD of cover tunes (a la Susan Boyle). Maybe Weight Watchers will grab him for a promotion??  Barrett may wind up with a forgettable country CD; I can't see Jeffrey going anywhere, though.

• Love 3

I love Mary, Did You Know? and I really like how Jordan sang it.  His duet with Adam was o.k. but I preferred the latter part when they sang different parts.  Since he belongs to his college choir, he knows how to sing in harmony and not overpower the other person.  Didn't like his Climb Every Mountain.  I don't mind if he wins.

Emily Ann is cute.  She definitely has more stage presence than Danielle even though Danielle has a better voice.  Emily Ann did a good job with her duet but since she's only 16, it was creepy.  Blake needs to choose more age appropriate duets.  She had some flat notes in Blue Christmas but did well with her last song.

Jeffery disappointed me.  He hit some flat notes in O Holy Night and I know that he can reach those notes.  I wanted him to have another Make It Rain moment.  Stay was o.k. but not as impactful.  I can't decide if I like his duet with Gwen.  I think separately they were good but they were rough when they were trying to blend together.

Don't like Barrett's voice or stage presence.  I listen to the first few notes of his songs to see if I want to listen to him.  I don't so I fast forward.  I only listened to Rhinestone Cowbody because I remember Glen singing it when I was younger.  I also did to hear Blake.

Edited by realdancemom
  • Love 2

I loved most all of the song choices, though the delivery was not so hot.

But, still, Emily did much better than normal last night. I actually enjoyed her last number.  She's still so limited in her vocals though.  I wouldn't mind it if she won the thing in a huge upset, IF we could see Adam freak out.  I just want to see him pitch a fit and storm off the stage.  lol  That would be worth it.  

I do think Jordan deserves it.  I mean, it's basically a $100,000.00 money contest.  I think he should get it.  I have no expectations of anything coming from any of these contestants.  I do hope Jordan can find some work with the win, if he gets it. 

I like Jeffery, but he's just not that remarkable to me.  I like Gwen though. 

Barrett is a total mystery.  I guess Blake's fans would do whatever he says, even if they have to vote for a guy with such poor vocals.  I just don't get it.  To me, Barrett seems very fake.  The entire time, I feel like he's just putting on.  I don't like his personality at all.  

• Love 1

Maybe Weight Watchers will grab him for a promotion?? 

Maybe Subway could hire him to be the new Jared? (I know, I'm evil).

I can tolerate Blake when he doesn't have a "country army" as he put it one season.  I think I could have liked Emily Ann if she wasn't so Bluegrass Country. I can live with an upset from her.  In fact, can we trade her to country to get Cassadee Pope back into the Top40/Pop world?  But please no Barrett as the winner! 

CCR means "Creedence Clearwater Revival" to me, but that wouldn't make sense in the context, as even though John Fogerty has been on this show, it's not as if we get a ton of people singing Creedence. So I do believe that it was meant to refer to Christian Contemporary.

Because I'm evil, part of me hopes that Barrett does somehow win, as a fitting climax to a dull and disappointing season. In the spirit of "Vote for the Worst" on American Idol.

• Love 1

I'm old enough that I want all of you off my lawn, and even I thought Climb Ev'ry Mountain was a ridiculous choice.  I don't even care how well/not well he sang it - I couldn't get past the fact that he was singing it at all.

Overall, though, I was entertained by the show and wasn't bothered by the Christmas songs because, as others have pointed out, it is the Christmas season.  Barrett bit though.  I was glad that the coaches pointed out, a few times, how hard it is to come up with something to say to these artists at this point in the competition, especially twice in two hours.  On the other hand, if they were allowed to give constructive criticism ("you were flat on the chorus", "your hand movements looked a little too practiced" etc), they might be able to come up with plenty to say!! 

• Love 6

Don't usually do this forum, but ALWAYS watch this show, every season. What COULD the producers do to make the voting more fair? Or the show (in general) more fair? I love the show, I feel it gives the viewer so much opportunity to really be sucked in to the contestants' fates. I was shocked (amazed, dumbfounded!) that Jeffrey and/or Barrett made it to the finals. Really? Some people love some Jeffrey, I just am not one of them. And his O Holy Night last night was absolutely painful. He didn't hit 75% of the required high notes. I was listening from the kitchen , and was making awful faces at the top notes.

The coaches aren't stupid, they've been around for a long time. I guess it would be exceedingly bad form to actually say, "whoa, man, nerves gotcha tonight, huh?" (Even if true). It seriously gets on my nerves when they gush praise and say "your pitch was perfect) blah blah amazing blah blah... When clearly: not. Still, it was such a relief to not have to hear one-style Sawyer - I swear he could have sung the very.same.song. for every performance and made the same impact for me.

Jordan is going to win, and maybe he has a career as a voice dub on Broadway. Can't play "Beast", he can't grow chin hair and talks like a girl. But he could do voice-overs. For Annie, maybe?

CCR = Creedence Clearwater Revival, a late 60s/early 70s rock band from San Francisco that specialized in Southern rock style. John Fogerty was the front man and main songwriter. They were one of the early bands into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. Some of their major hits include Proud Mary (pre-dating Ike and Tina Turner version), Born on the Bayou, Bad Moon Rising, Fortunate Son, Travelin' Band, Who'll Stop the Rain, (etc ad nauseum). They still get a lot of radio airplay. I don't think Christian music was in their repertoire.

My mind wandered during the Christmas songs--I'm just not a Christmas song person.

Barrett reminds me of the third escaped criminal in O Brother Where Art Thou....kind of desperate-seeming.    

I think it comes down to whether Jordan or Jeffrey get to be the next Clay Aiken.    I'd prefer Jeffrey because I think he shows the potential to do more things- with a little theatre experience I think he might be a better stage performer, but I think it will be Jordan.   Nothing against Clay--he has had a good career doing all kinds of things and still has his following .    I don't see any sign that Gwen does much after the show for her people--maybe Blake will be a good influence for her.

I think Emily Ann will get a boost from Blake that will get her started--she's young but she's grown a lot in a short time so I think she has a chance to do more.

Worst Voice finale ever. Even worse than the crappy season with the Swon Brothers.

The Christian pandering was WAY over the top. Seriously, it's starting to become pretty offensive at this point.

And could Gwen's ego be any bigger? She talks about herself more than any other judge I've seen on this show.

Only performance that didn't make me want to punch a Jesus statue was Islands in the Stream.

I hate Christmas music.... no offense to people, but I can't stand that shit. Doesn't matter who sings it, its crap that I never want to hear. I thankfully was watching it taped so I fast forward everyone's "Christmas" peformance. I would have been nice to see someone sing something different.

Edited by blueray
  • Love 2

While Gwen's coaching may have helped Jeffrey in the beginning, as time went on I think she more hurt than helped.  Last night he looked frightened on stage.  He really should have mixed things up more and done different types of songs.  Everything can't be a dirge.  He does have the best, most consistent voice in the competition.  He just didn't get to show it much.  And by last night he seemed so afraid, as of he wouldn't be able to reach notes that he has previously hit with no problem.  It's a shame he didn't have a coach that could have helped him more and gotten him to mix things up.

I enjoyed the clip of Blake explaining to Barrett that doing produced numbers on a large stage all goes away after the Voice.  You still have to work your way back up from there.  while that is true for all of them, I felt a bit like Blake was saying "Hey, we got you to the finals, but you aren't winning this thing.  Get ready to go back to obscurity."

Couldn't agree more! Jeffrey has never been on my radar at all this season. And every song seemed the same. I was hoping Leather and Lace would be really different, but not so much.  I compared his "duet" with Blake and Emily Anne's where those two sang TO each other for most of the song, and Jeffrey rarely looked at Gwen. Kind of a "couple" song.  And while I agree the show is about the VOICE, performing is part of the appeal. An iffy song by an iffy singer can still be great if it is something the audience can get into.  A wonderful song by a wonderful singer can also put an audience to sleep. Plus there are more opportunities to be off pitch or tempo in the slower songs.

Spot on about Blake's comments to Barrett. I thought the exact same thing!

• Love 2

This is weird, but to me Jordan is a combination of Clay and Ruben from Idol Season 2.  He has the body style of Ruben and the similar voice and body movements (entire upper body turns when he wants to turn his head). Not shocked that Adam didn't know "Mary, Did You Know", as it is a modern Christian Christmas song.  It's okay, Adam.

Edited by Babalooie
  • Love 2

I say this as someone who likes Gwen, on principle, but damn, Leather and Lace was really, really, rough.

No Doubt never struck me as a group that you'd pay to see live. They were too "studio processed." Gwen was part of the MTV generation, when MTV actually showed music videos. I never had her pegged as having a great voice. She was part of a "package." She had an attractive look, a kewpie doll voice, and an interesting looking back up band. Back then, that and Autotune were all you needed for commercial success.

Christina probably watched at home and thought, "My seat is safe whenever I want it back."

I forgot to vote. First time that's happened. When Jordan wins, can this go into the "no judge wins" category, because there was no way that Adam actually coached him. Adam was along for the ride, here. Jordan was not in his wheelhouse, sang nothing that Adam is remotely interested in, and out sang him in the duets. Yet, Mr. Smug will certainly use this "win" to his advantage.

Edited by ChicksDigScars
  • Love 3

I think Pivot meant Creedence Clearwater Revival as shorthand for southern rock.

I like Jordan's Christmas song, maybe because I hadn't heard it before. I don't really see star power in Jordan but he's got a powerful instrument and in a cheesefest like the Voice, he's a worthy last person standing.

I meant Contemporary Christian Rock. I thought that was what the dreck was called. I feel like that stuff is just shoving Jesus down my throat. I should be able to watch The Voice without feeling like people are preaching at me about Jesus and his greatness.

I forgot to vote. First time that's happened. When Jordan wins, can this go into the "no judge wins" category, because there was no way that Adam actually coached him. Adam was along for the ride, here. Jordan was not in his wheelhouse, sang nothing that Adam is remotely interested in, and out sang him in the duets. Yet, Mr. Smug will certainly use this "win" to his advantage.

The only thing Adam really did for Jordan is save him from elimination. Other than that, Jordan basically ran the show. Adam basically admitted as much when he said Jordan went with a different song choice than Adam had picked. I do really want to know what Jordan's "holiday" song would have been if he hadn't insisted on Mary Did you Know. 

• Love 1
I do really want to know what Jordan's "holiday" song would have been if he hadn't insisted on Mary Did you Know.

Yes, so do I. Wish there were some way to find out. I hate hearing the same old Christmas songs, they were boring when I was a kid, and that was a long time ago. So Jordan's "Mary" song was interesting to me. I had never heard it before so I actually listened and enjoyed it. A song doesn't have to be about my religion or beliefs for me to enjoy it, just like I don't sext or do booty calls, but that doesn't stop me from liking some songs with lyrics about those things.

Anyway, good choice, Jordan.

• Love 4
The more I think about it, the more it bugs me that they forced the contestants to sing a "Holiday" song. There was no way that a contestant would sing anything but a Christian song especially with all the bigotry in the country against anyone who isn't Christian right now.

Eh there are plenty of non Christian Songs which could easily have been done that would have offended no-one while still providing a good opportunity to showcase your voice such as: 

All I Really Want for Christmas

All Alone of Christmas

Because It's Christmas

Chestnuts Roasting

Christmas In Your Arms

Christmas Time Is Here

Christmas Can't Be Far Away

Closing of the Year

Cold December Night

Do They Know It's Christmas

Driving Home for Christmas

Even Santa Gets the Blues

Grown-Up Christmas List

Happy XMas (War is Over)

Happy Christmas, Little Friend

Hard Candy Christmas

Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas

Home for Christmas

I Don't Wanna Spend One More Christmas Without You

I'll Be Home for Christmas

I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa Claus

Last Christmas

The Little Boy That Santa Claus Forgot

O Tannenbaum

Pretty Paper

Put a Little Holiday in Your Heart

Silver Bells

Where Are You Christmas?

White Christmas

Heck there's are even some with no mention of Christmas:

Auld Lang Syne

Footprints in the Snow

It Snowed

Most Wonderful Time of the Year

Marshmallow World

Silver and Gold

What Are You Doing New Years Eve

Winter Wonderland

That's just off the top of my head songs that would be good for crooners, country artists, and some songs that can really show off your voice range/dynamic.

Honestly I still can't figure why anyone with half a brain would pick "O Holy Night" if you are not going to go big when you reach "O Night Divine"?  For a singing competition for that song you should have people on their feet when you reach that point of the song. IMHO copping out there just screams that you are admitting you lack actual professional singing talent.  And Blue Christmas and Silent Night are both incredibly dull songs for showcasing purposes...there were much better options.  Ugh.  Makes you wonder whose been choosing the songs for the Judges own albums?

As far as other Holiday songs...are there any decent Kwanzaa songs?  I mean the few I've heard are either lame and repetitive ("Celebrate Kwanzaa") or are just awful melodically for showcasing a voice in something like this? (Not to mention it would seem a bit awkward for a Caucasian to be singing about "our" ancestors in Africa). 

For Hanukkah the only song that came to mind as a possibility was Light One Candle (Peter Paul and Mary originally I think?)  Although I'm not entirely sure that even is a Hanukkah song?  It might have been interesting to see for example Emily give that a little more country flavor? (Couldn't have been worse than her flat murdering of the first half of Blue Christmas)  Other than that I think the only other song that comes to mind is Miracle, but then again none of these particular contestants really strike me as being able to sell the faster reggae part of that song.   Although now I'm picturing picturing Jordan doing an dramatic rendition of Adam Sandler's Chanukah Song....that could have been insanely fun but sadly would have required a contestant that had an actual personality

Edited by Xenith22

As far as other Holiday songs...are there any decent Kwanzaa songs? 

Really why would there be? It's only existed since 1965 and apparently a study was done that estimated that only around 5% of African-Americans observed it (and IMO that might be a generous figure). 

No way any contestant would choose a non-Christmas song. The Voice can dress it up by calling it a "holiday" song but singing a song about Judaism or another religion would put them at a huge disadvantage in sales. It's total bullshit to make the contestants sing a Christian song and it really should have no place in this competition.

• Love 1

Please, kill me now.  Or, to paraphrase Rodney Dangerfield, "Take my tv, please".

Listen up, The Voice.  If your finale episode makes me think about starting my post with a Rodney Dangerfied quote, you're doing it wrong.

Climb Every Mountain ... I am at a loss for words.  Wait, this is close to how I feel.  If a giraffe drank alphabet soup and then, 5 days later, managed to vomit it all back up in a mess of activated charcoal and stomach acid, it would still taste better to me than that mess Jordan delivered.  I could not believe what my aural sensors were convey to my central processing unit.  Or something.  Sanjaya ... William Hung ... I haven't gone full circle, I've spiraled downward.  I have no syllables.

And then Blue Christmas?  What was wrong with these people?  Were the vocal coaches fired in a particularly graphic way?  Were they barbequed?  Were the contestants bribed to throw the show by the richest Alien in the History of the Universe?  Who possibly comes out a winner in this scenario?  And, not to put too fine a point on it, but did the stylists make the judges' pants too tight?  I could swear they'd been neutered.

I generally try to be pretty diplomatic, but I'm going to wake up tomorrow morning and not take back a word of this post.

• Love 1

Barrett was fine on both of the songs I listened to, though I didn't pay a bit of attention to his "Silent Night".  It's probably one of my least favorite Christmas hymns and that certainly factored into why I tuned him out.

Being a fan of Supernatural, I can't hear "Silent Night" anymore without at least a a passing smile as I remember Sam and Dean's - badly attempted and very abbreviated - version when they were trying to pull off being carolers after bursting into the home of a drunk Santa who they thought was the monster. "'round the table..." (That entire "Christmas" episode is so very wrong, yet also so funny and touching at the same time. I recommend it. You might never hear "Silent Night" the same way again.) All that said, I didn't like Barret's version, and it certainly wasn't Sam and Dean level entertaining.

I'm going to admit it: I was captivated by Jordan's "Mary Don't You Know?" which I'd never heard before, and I can only claim like saber5055 and mstar1125 said that it was because of the melody and Jordan's voice, because for the most part despite still liking most of the other holiday stuff, I hate Christmas music.. well unless it's weird and/or humorous Christmas music (see below). It's mostly the peppy, sappy songs that I hate though. Although not religious myself, the more hymn-like songs don't bother me as much... except for when there is overly cheesy or over the top stylings. Many I just find boring. But since Jordan rolls that way, his chosing the song he did - and singing it in a way I enjoyed - did not bother me.

My Hubby, who was also captivated by Jordan's song, does like Christmas songs sometimes - despite also not being very religious - so I sometimes listen to the radio with him during our long holiday drives, hoping to hear the occasional Kinks' "Father Christmas (Give Us Your Money)", that "the twelve things at Christmas that are such a pain to me" song, or that Cheech and Chong song. If I'm really lucky - or usually I have to dig them out myself - I get to hear heywood bank's "You Ain't Getting Diddly Squat for Christmas" or "Dearest Mr. Santa Claus" or Weird Al's "The Night Santa Went Crazy." I have a bunch of both of their stuff already anyway on CD - That's just the way I roll. (heywood's "Big Butter Jesus" is also very funny, but not holiday related per se - "oh, spread the word!")

So, I would've loved it - though never in a thousand shows would it have happened - if one of the contestants ever sang the Kinks' "Father Christmas" or some similar humorous Christmas song. That would have immediately earned them all the votes from me - as long as they didn't butcher it, mind you - even though I've not voted before.

I would've even settled for that Carpenter's song "Merry Christmas, Darling," because for some reason I do like that one, but it would take a really good voice to pull that one off.

Edited by AwesomO4000
  • Love 1

I'm going to admit it: I was captivated by Jordan's "Mary Don't You Know?" which I'd never heard before, and I can only claim like saber5055 and mstar1125 said that it was because of the melody and Jordan's voice, because for the most part despite still liking most of the other holiday stuff, I hate Christmas music.. well unless it's weird and/or humorous Christmas music (see below). It's mostly the peppy, sappy songs that I hate though. Although not religious myself, the more hymn-like songs don't bother me as much... except for when there is overly cheesy or over the top stylings. Many I just find boring. But since Jordan rolls that way, his chosing the song he did - and singing it in a way I enjoyed - did not bother me.

My Hubby, who was also captivated by Jordan's song, does like Christmas songs sometimes - despite also not being very religious - so I sometimes listen to the radio with him during our long holiday drives, hoping to hear the occasional Kinks' "Father Christmas (Give Us Your Money)", that "the twelve things at Christmas that are such a pain to me" song, or that Cheech and Chong song. If I'm really lucky - or usually I have to dig them out myself - I get to hear heywood bank's "You Ain't Getting Diddly Squat for Christmas" or "Dearest Mr. Santa Claus" or Weird Al's "The Night Santa Went Crazy." I have a bunch of both of their stuff already anyway on CD - That's just the way I roll. (heywood's "Big Butter Jesus" is also very funny, but not holiday related per se - "oh, spread the word!")

So, I would've loved it - though never in a thousand shows would it have happened - if one of the contestants ever sang the Kinks' "Father Christmas" or some similar humorous Christmas song. That would have immediately earned them all the votes from me - as long as they didn't butcher it, mind you - even though I've not voted before.

I would've even settled for that Carpenter's song "Merry Christmas, Darling," because for some reason I do like that one, but it would take a really good voice to pull that one off.

If we had to have an abundance of Christmas-themed songs (this is, after all, a Mark Burnett show), then novelty and humorous songs would have at least been fun (though obviously unacceptably irreverent). I would have enjoyed having Barrett given "Grandma Got Run Over By A Reindeer" while Emily Ann could have dashed all the "sweet innocent country girl" image making and done "Santa Baby".  I'm not familiar with "Father Christmas" but I'm sure it would have been a bit of humorous change up for Jeffrey while Jordan could do "Merry Christmas, Darling" (which I also don't know, but if it takes a "really good voice", sounds like it might be perfect for him.)

All of these would have been much better (at least, surprising, irreverent and fun) than butchering "Silent Night", "O Holy Night" (and  just forget it altogether if you can't hit the high part, Jeffrey) or Jordan's travesty of "Climb Every Mountain".

• Love 2

If we had to have an abundance of Christmas-themed songs (this is, after all, a Mark Burnett show), then novelty and humorous songs would have at least been fun (though obviously unacceptably irreverent). I would have enjoyed having Barrett given "Grandma Got Run Over By A Reindeer" while Emily Ann could have dashed all the "sweet innocent country girl" image making and done "Santa Baby".  I'm not familiar with "Father Christmas" but I'm sure it would have been a bit of humorous change up for Jeffrey while Jordan could do "Merry Christmas, Darling" (which I also don't know, but if it takes a "really good voice", sounds like it might be perfect for him.)

All of these would have been much better (at least, surprising, irreverent and fun) than butchering "Silent Night", "O Holy Night" (and  just forget it altogether if you can't hit the high part, Jeffrey) or Jordan's travesty of "Climb Every Mountain".

I was going to mention "Grandma Got Run Over By a Reindeer" but thought it might be a little too divisive - in that some people hate it. (I think it's funny. It brings back great Dr. Demento memories from my teen years.) And one version would've been country enough for Barret ; ). (I think the Elmo and Patsy version, if I remember corrrectly.)

I think the Kinks song would definitely have fit Jeffery in rock mode - since it is a rock song, and actually "Merry Christmas, Darling" would've been a good fit for Jordan I think, because Karen Carpenter had a lower voice, so it is comfortably in Jordan's range. Both are worth a listen if you've never heard them (though they are totally different and the second one is going to date me and falls a little into the smaltzy category, but Karen's voice is lovely...), so I provided links below:

"Father Christmas"

Merry Christmas, Darling

• Love 1

I was going to mention "Grandma Got Run Over By a Reindeer" but thought it might be a little too divisive - in that some people hate it. (I think it's funny. It brings back great Dr. Demento memories from my teen years.) And one version would've been country enough for Barret ; ). (I think the Elmo and Patsy version, if I remember corrrectly.)

I think the Kinks song would definitely have fit Jeffery in rock mode - since it is a rock song, and actually "Merry Christmas, Darling" would've been a good fit for Jordan I think, because Karen Carpenter had a lower voice, so it is comfortably in Jordan's range. Both are worth a listen if you've never heard them (though they are totally different and the second one is going to date me and falls a little into the smaltzy category, but Karen's voice is lovely...), so I provided links below:

"Father Christmas"

Merry Christmas, Darling

Thank you for the links!  I hadn't heard "Father Christmas" but I think (in this more edgy "wish list" of "holiday songs") Jeffrey would have done very well on that--and it has an interesting, non-materialistic message that's refreshing. 

As for "Merry Christmas, Darling", after I clicked on the link, I remembered it well (dating myself, too.) It's not an edgy choice (and Karen does a beautiful job with it) and I actually would have preferred it, in all seriousness, for Jordan, over the badly butchered "Climb Every Mountain".  The slightly sad theme--nostaligic and wistful "missing my love at Christmas"--would have been a good change of pace for Jordan and I think he could have sung it very well. It has a similar feeling to "Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas"--another good holiday song, but one people would be much more familiar with.  I like the idea of mixing it up, reminding an audience that sometimes Christmas is a time of warm memories mixed with loneliness.  

I like the idea of fun, humorous, edgy Christmas songs, but that wouldn't happen and probably some people would even find some of them offensive, as you mention about "Reindeer". But I really do wish that if they're going to do "holiday" songs, they would have chosen from the many possibilities that are not religious. We all live in America at "Christmas time", but not all Americans are Christians and its kind of rude to push one particular religion on a diverse audience. I'm getting to be a curmudgeon, but I just don't want to hear "Silent Night" and "Oh, Holy Night" etc.--strongly religious songs-- on a secular singing competition. Particularly as there is no lack of good "holiday songs" that aren't actually religious at all. 

Edited by Padma
  • Love 1