Type keyword(s) to search

S09.E26: Live Finale, Part 1

• Start Topic

I guess it's okay to post here, the duets for the four finalists and their coaches.

Emily/Blake: "Islands in the Stream" (Kenny Rogers/Dolly P); Barrett/Blake "Rhinestone Cowboy" (Glen Campbell); Adam/Jordan, "God Only Knows" (Beach Boys) and Jeffrey/Gwen "Leather and Lace" (Stevie Nicks and Don Henley).

Jordan is the most dominant contestant ever. He officially snatched the show's first sales #1, with Somebody to Love's 164k toppling Adele's Hello. Highest-charting cover overall at #21 since he has no airplay and very few streams.

The previous record was a tie between him and Cassadee with #3 sellers.

Voice T40s:
H100 #14 Matt’s original Sales #5
17 Javier’s original 6
20 Dia’s original 7
34 Craig’s original 7
37 Sawyer’s original 6

21 S9 Jordan's Somebody to Love Sales #1
25 S3 Cassadee’s Over You 3
30 S9 Jordan’s Great Is Thy Faithfulness 3
40 S3 Cassadee’s Stupid Boy 6
40 S7 Matt’s Blower’s Daughter 8
40 S5 Matthew’s Hallelujah 9

Jordan was first up tonight! I never would have guessed that would happen. Also, the show is actually having each artist perform one time per round which is shocking. They tend to let the fodder perform all three songs before the front runner performs a second time. This is progress!

Jordan killed it with all three song choices. I think the other three contestants are also talented, but they don't always choose the best songs for their range/skill set. Example: Jeffrey and O Holy Night. That song is so easy to butcher, and he did fine with it, but it did not blow me away. 

Or else, there is literally no song that Jordan could sing poorly (I wonder what his O Holy Night would have been like). Too bad that Emily Ann had to follow Jordan's Mary Did You Know. She did fine with her song, but it just didn't have the show-stopping impact that was needed to make an impression after Jordan. If he doesn't win, I will be shocked. 

• Love 2

When Jeffrey was singing Oh Holy Night I thought his pronunciation was so peculiar and affected. Great voice but my problem with it was more a vocal styling thing.

Blake really carried his singers in the duets, whew.

Edited by Quickbeam
  • Love 3

Do downloads of all three songs count toward vote totals?  I love "Mary Did You Know?"  It was beautiful.

I did like Emily Ann more tonight than ever but still not enough.  I wish her well but I'm just not country.

I continue to dislike Barrett with the heat of a thousand suns.  He does have cute children. I hope get gets a nice family car out of this along with a 4th place finish.

To my mind Jeffery peaked shortly after the lives began.  I am fine with him being in the finals and finishing 3rd or even 2nd would be o.k with me.

And finally, to me its still Jordan for the win.  He has the nicest voice.  I think the Contemporary Christian market would be fairly welcoming.  He could put out a Christmas album and lots of people would buy it.

And I think another season goes by without an instant star, which is o.k.  I'm still hoping that the slow simmer will produce something from some of the younger artists that have appeared.  (Jacqui Lee, Will Champlin, Amber Carrington, Danielle, Cassadee)

• Love 1

Confession: I'm throwing a vote or two to Barrett tonight. Basically it's Team Blake vs. Team Adam tonight and I have to vote Team Blake. I know, I'm what's wrong with America, but I'm not even sorry.

I'm still shocked they opened the night with Jordan singing his big solo number. He is no Audra McDonald though. It was nice of Jordan to sing down to Adam's level int he duet. The first 75% of that number were a snore until Jordan started singing on his own.

Jeffery still remained one note. He did better this week than last week, but I remain bored. I think he needed a coach to force him to change it up once or twice. 

Even though I'm throwing Barrett a vote, I don't like him. His duet with Blake was fun though. I like Emily Ann even if she's not the best country singer this show has had. Again, Blake kept the duet fun. The stylist went overboard for her last look.

Early iTunes results, top half of t100:

In top half:
2 Jordan
3 Jordan
7 Jordan + Adam
9 Emily + Blake
[12 Jordan]
19 Barrett
22 Jeff
[37 Jordan]
38 Emily
42 Barrett + Blake
49 Jeff + Gwen

Gee, I wonder who's winning.

• Love 1

I'll also say that of all the duets, Jordan + Adam was the only one (besides maybe Blake and Emily Ann) where I felt like the coach wasn't trying to steal the spotlight or carry the song. I though Gwen took away a bit of the impact from her duet with Jeffrey, partly because the female part to that song is so dominant, and Blake's voice is just so dominant over any other country singer that has ever been on this show, that Barrett especially had no chance of shining through that one. 

• Love 3

Worst Voice finale ever. Even worse than the crappy season with the Swon Brothers.

The Christian pandering was WAY over the top. Seriously, it's starting to become pretty offensive at this point.

And could Gwen's ego be any bigger? She talks about herself more than any other judge I've seen on this show.

Only performance that didn't make me want to punch a Jesus statue was Islands in the Stream.

• Love 8
And I think another season goes by without an instant star, which is o.k.  I'm still hoping that the slow simmer will produce something from some of the younger artists that have appeared.  (Jacqui Lee, Will Champlin, Amber Carrington, Danielle, Cassadee)

Will Champlin is no young'un. :P 

He is 32 (30 during his season).

• Love 1

I'll also say that of all the duets, Jordan + Adam was the only one (besides maybe Blake and Emily Ann) where I felt like the coach wasn't trying to steal the spotlight or carry the song. I though Gwen took away a bit of the impact from her duet with Jeffrey, partly because the female part to that song is so dominant, and Blake's voice is just so dominant over any other country singer that has ever been on this show, that Barrett especially had no chance of shining through that one.

Adam chose a song that suited his voice so much better than Jordan's. It didn't do anything for Jordan. Blake was the only coach left who seemed to care about highlighting his contestant. But, with Gwen and Adam's egos, not surprising.

• Love 2

Well, I guess if you go by the iTunes numbers Jordan will absolutely run away with this season, but I didn't love him at all tonight. I was disappointed with his song choices. I thought he sounded best on the Beach Boys song, I was bored by his other ones. I recognize that he has a wonderful voice, it just doesn't move me. I thought Emily Ann was the best of the night. I think if she was the only country singer competing she might have an outside chance of an upset, but I think having Barrett in there too hurts her chances. I do think that Blake saying that if anyone could pull an upset she could was a brilliant word choice by him. America loves an underdog.

• Love 3

I couldn't hear Jordan at all in his duet with Adam. I could only hear Adam. He sounded good but he could've sang it without Jordan. And they were singing in unison 99% of the time. What's the point?

I surprised myself by how much I enjoyed the Blake and Barrett duet. The song brings back memories of my childhood and probably because Barrett toned down considerably to match Blake. He's better when he's not spazzing about. Blake's lower register sounded amazing.

• Love 1

Will Champlin is no young'un. :P 

He is 32 (30 during his season).

Age is relative.  :)  Right after I typed it I thought he probably didn't belong in a "young ones" list- but he's still one of my favorites.

Worst Voice finale ever. Even worse than the crappy season with the Swon Brothers.

The Christian pandering was WAY over the top. Seriously, it's starting to become pretty offensive at this point.

And could Gwen's ego be any bigger? She talks about herself more than any other judge I've seen on this show.

Only performance that didn't make me want to punch a Jesus statue was Islands in the Stream.

I know they said a "holiday song" but no way anyone was going to choose anything but Christmas.  I'm kind of curious what Adam's choice for Jordan was before he switched to Mary Did You Know?  I think that was a great choice by Jordan.  The only other semi-famous version is Pentatonix and that sounds completely different. 

• Love 1

I gave up after an hour. Barrett mumbled, Jeffrey was too flat on "O Holy Night" and King Jordan should just be named the winner already. Emily has a pleasant voice, but her "Blue Christmas" only worked when she belted some lines, which isn't what that song does.

• Love 2

I know they said a "holiday song" but no way anyone was going to choose anything but Christmas.  I'm kind of curious what Adam's choice for Jordan was before he switched to Mary Did You Know?  I think that was a great choice by Jordan.  The only other semi-famous version is Pentatonix and that sounds completely different. 

Before the show there were 6 versions in the T1500 on iTunes: 45 + 228 + 690 Pentatonix

340 Peter Holmes

556 Kenny Rogers and Wynonna Judd

1134 Cee Lo Green

1136 Danny Gokey

1141 Clay Aiken.

Tied with O Holy Night, and double the Silent Nights.

Jordan now has 4 songs in the iTunes T10. Previously the most was 3, for...Jake Worthington. I wonder how close that guy was to winning given how he peaked at the exact right time.

Can I vote for Adele? Just watched the special following The Voice and she is just so good. Kind of bummed to see that Amanda Brown is back to being a backup singer...she was one of my favorites ever on this show.

Anyway, back to The Voice...

-couldn't they have picked a more appropriate song for the Blake/Emily duet? Why a love duet? Blake did the same thing with Danielle. It's weird.

-the only good and entertaining performances for me were the last two. Everything else was bad or a snooze.

-this season is such a bust. I haven't voted once this season.

Perhaps there's something wrong with me. I just don't get Jordan. Nice clear voice on pitch. Yes, definitely. I have no feeling at all when he sings though and that is key for me. I don't know anything about his personality nor do I feel it through his music. I don't even like listening to his voice. Perhaps my ears are broken. I am definitely in the minority though, it seems. Which.is.fine.

I have to admit that Climb Every Mountain was so vomitous for me that I had to leave the room. That was his song of choice? 

I despise that song! it was torture to me. I'd rather see 1,000 Zach Seabaugh's dance around and sing even if occasionally off key.

Jeffery did all right. It didn't wow me, but, it was good. I wish him the best.

I liked the duet between Blake and Barrett because Blake balances out the Barrett and it looked fun. Plus, I have a soft spot in my heart for Glen Campbell after watching "I'll Be Me" - the documentary about Glen. 

The finale (part 1) in general was snoozeworthy to me and I think I took a nap.

Emily Ann is my favorite of the bunch and I hope she takes 2nd because no one can win besides Jordan. She started out a bit shaky going after Jordan's (what was to me an) overwrought performance. Eh, who wouldn't.

As the show went on, she got stronger. She looked absolutely beautiful, and when she gains more confidence, I can see her having a good career in country music. She already has the support of some country artists. I think they mentioned Ricky Skaggs and Wynona Judd, as well as Dolly and Blake of course.

She has charisma, a fun personality, a good voice. Yeah. I can see it.

I really did like her duet with Blake and my favorite was "Burning House". She's a bright light.

Other than that, shitty season.

• Love 10

Jordan was first up tonight! I never would have guessed that would happen. Also, the show is actually having each artist perform one time per round which is shocking. They tend to let the fodder perform all three songs before the front runner performs a second time. This is progress!

I think that only happened in season 4. Every other season had each artist perform one time per round.

1 Jordan Smith Mary Did You Know (The Voice Performance)
2 Emily Ann Roberts Burning House (The Voice Performance)
4 Jordan Smith Climb Every Mountain (The Voice Performance)
5 Jordan Smith & Adam Levine God Only Knows (The Voice Performance)
6 Emily Ann Roberts & Blake Shelton Islands In the Stream (The Voice Performance)
10 Jordan Smith Somebody To Love (The Voice Performance)
11 Barrett Baber Die a Happy Man (The Voice Performance)
13 Jeffery Austin Stay (The Voice Performance)
17 Emily Ann Roberts Blue Christmas (The Voice Performance)
20 Jordan Smith Hallelujah (The Voice Performance)
25 Jeffery Austin & Gwen Stefani Leather and Lace (The Voice Performance)
28 Barrett Baber & Blake Shelton Rhinestone Cowboy (The Voice Performance)
31 Barrett Baber Silent Night (The Voice Performance)
32 Jeffery Austin O Holy Night (The Voice Performance)

We have a race on our hands here. I didn't quite listen to hear if itunes season long totals count. That probably means Jordan has it in the bag. 

I thought the abundance of Christian songs this season was a little weird. But then I learned that Jordan actually goes to a Christian college so faith is obviously a big part of his life. So that explains some of it.

• Love 1

1 Jordan Smith Mary Did You Know (The Voice Performance)

2 Emily Ann Roberts Burning House (The Voice Performance)

4 Jordan Smith Climb Every Mountain (The Voice Performance)

5 Jordan Smith & Adam Levine God Only Knows (The Voice Performance)

6 Emily Ann Roberts & Blake Shelton Islands In the Stream (The Voice Performance)

10 Jordan Smith Somebody To Love (The Voice Performance)

11 Barrett Baber Die a Happy Man (The Voice Performance)

13 Jeffery Austin Stay (The Voice Performance)

17 Emily Ann Roberts Blue Christmas (The Voice Performance)

20 Jordan Smith Hallelujah (The Voice Performance)

25 Jeffery Austin & Gwen Stefani Leather and Lace (The Voice Performance)

28 Barrett Baber & Blake Shelton Rhinestone Cowboy (The Voice Performance)

31 Barrett Baber Silent Night (The Voice Performance)

32 Jeffery Austin O Holy Night (The Voice Performance)

We have a race on our hands here. I didn't quite listen to hear if itunes season long totals count. That probably means Jordan has it in the bag. 

It's no race at all, honestly. On iTunes right now:

Jordan #1 - 100%

Emily #2 - 57%

Jordan #4 - 55%

Emily #17 - 16%

He's more than doubling her.

I'm pretty sure the coach songs don't count, but there it's Jordan 36%, Emily 34%.

Emily was at least okay tonight, but clearly inexperienced, and it doesn't help if you've heard the original Burning House which is way better.

Edited by jjjmoss

Why was Emily the lone contestant to go with a secular Xmas song? Missed out on a final pandering opportunity there. I think her voice might have sounded really good on the Amy Grant song "Breath of Heaven"...also that was kind of a genius song to go out on. Any fans of the Highway (on Sirius) will recognize Cam's Burning House as the female country debut song of the moment. You can't go more than a hour w/out hearing it at least once.

Interesting that all three of Barrett's performances were squeezed in the middle eight. It's almost like they wanted Team Blake's rabid fans to casually forget him and pledge all their support to Emily Ann. Probably enjoyed his duet with Blake better than his two solo songs. At least he picked a current country song to go out on like Emily Ann. Gives potential studios one last thing to really judge him on. His vocal similarity to Brett Eldredge may be an issue moving forward though...

The second Jeffery was saved last week, I could hear one of the songs he'd do tonight in the finale. That ended up being Stay. The lack of variance he showed throughout the entire season was staggering. If you could graph songs by type, tempo, content etc. I bet all but a couple (not counting big team performances) would fall in one or two quadrants. He has a beautiful voice, but his wheelhouse is so specific I don't really know how you'd go about creating an entire album w/ him.

Jordan will win. Almost certainly. I still don't get him, I've never gotten him and why the show felt the need to imbalance the season in his favor so dramatically. Can he go the CCM or Josh Groban-lite route with some success post-Voice.....maybe.

Edited by PhD-Purgatory15
  • Love 2
When Jeffrey was singing Oh Holy Night I thought his pronunciation was so peculiar and affected. Great voice but my problem with it was more a vocal styling thing.

I really thought he was going to knock it out of the park, but I couldn't quite put my finger on why it felt off to me. At first I thought maybe someone (background vocals, band  or him)  was in the wrong key. Or his timing was off in some spots. But you could be right, it was the styling.

I have a soft spot in my heart for Glen Campbell after watching "I'll Be Me" - the documentary about Glen.

That was a great documentary,I just recently saw it but a little tough to watch in some spots. Oh man,so many  tears flowed from my eyes.

I didn't catch everyone that Carson said is going to guest on the show tomorrow. I know I heard Wynonna(she better sing with Emily!)  Who else?

Congrats Jordan!

Edited by Valny

Perhaps there's something wrong with me. I just don't get Jordan. Nice clear voice on pitch. Yes, definitely. I have no feeling at all when he sings though and that is key for me. I don't know anything about his personality nor do I feel it through his music. I don't even like listening to his voice. Perhaps my ears are broken. I am definitely in the minority though, it seems. Which.is.fine.

I have to admit that Climb Every Mountain was so vomitous for me that I had to leave the room. That was his song of choice? 

I despise that song! it was torture to me. I'd rather see 1,000 Zach Seabaugh's dance around and sing even if occasionally off key.

I am right there with you, although I will point out that he goes sharp more than anyone seems to want to notice.  I noted how Adam pushed how humble Jordan is,  Guess he's seen some people commenting that Jordan was starting to appear smug with all of the praise he has been receiving.  

• Love 1

I'm right there in that minority with you. Agree 100%. Singing in a clear voice on pitch (mostly) does not make you the greatest thing since sliced bread. You could not  be a voice major in a college music program without being able to do that, and there are hundreds (maybe thousands?) of college music programs across the country. It's the same kind of dumbed down, low bar this show has about age, when the coaches freak out about someone being able to sing at 16, when in reality there are people singing professional opera at 16.

I find Jordan reasonably enjoyable in something poppy like "God Only Knows," but his overwrought renditions of the big, emotional ballads leave me cold. (And while one of my favorite Beach Boys songs, did they really need to do one with "God" in the title and lyrics? Would we have forgotten about Jordan's religious faith if they had sung "Barbara Ann?")

I think Jeffrey is a crazy talented singer, with maybe the best voice I've ever heard on any contest show, but man, he went right to the finish line singing the same freakin' song every damn time. I don't know if that was his decision, but a good coach would've gotten him to change it up. I think of how continually surprised, and entertained, people were when Adam Lambert did something different almost every week on his season of Idol. With guidance from a smart, creative coach, Jeffrey could've done the same thing.

Not that it probably would've kept Jordan from winning. When God declares you the winner it's hard to argue. In a season dominated by Christian pandering, did they really need to stipulate each contestant do a "holiday sing" on the finale. Why even pretend by calling it a "holiday song? On this show, 11 days before Christmas.

No surprises there, but do color me surprised that I ended up liking Emily Ann. Whoever made that song choice, glad that she was the only one to do a fun, non-religious Christmas song. And she may be the one finalist who actually did grow as a performer over the course of the season. Well, she's also the youngest, so that would make sense, but I still give her credit. And credit also to the wardrobe people, who worked that short skirt and boots look right to the end. 

Edited by bluepiano
  • Love 6
The second Jeffery was saved last week, I could hear one of the songs he'd do tonight in the finale. That ended up being Stay. The lack of variance he showed throughout the entire season was staggering. If you could graph songs by type, tempo, content etc. I bet all but a couple (not counting big team performances) would fall in one or two quadrants. He has a beautiful voice, but his wheelhouse is so specific I don't really know how you'd go about creating an entire album w/ him.

Yea, sadly Jeffery peaked on the playoffs with Say You Love Me - my 2nd favorite performance this season. I'm surprise he ended up being a lot less versatile than Clay Aiken was in his competition. I was expecting frying pans, damnit! (those on twop should get this reference lol). Was it Gwen's fault with her song choices? Or is he really just one dimensional?

I supposed he could do a couple lame catchy pop songs (like Clay did with Invisible)... and then collaborate with someone like Sara Bareilles.

• Love 1

I for one loved the finale (the part that means anything) quite a bit.  It was much more enjoyable for me than it was for a while.  Perhaps that was due to the song choices, which resonated with me very well. 

Barrett - awful.  "Rhinestone Cowboy" is a fun song, but a little repetitive if you're not hearing it live, and it didn't help that Blake just utterly outclassed him.  He was an earsplitting, unintelligible scream in the middle of (a) "Silent Night" and his contemporary choice did nothing for me. 

Emily Ann was great.  She's such a fun performer, and looked stunning in those two dresses.  Two many insta-curls at the end but the song choice of Cam was terrific.  She actually hit a flat note or two, I thought, in the middle of "Blue Christmas," but I didn't care.  "Islands in the Stream" was a blast; she and Blake were realy cute together. 

Jeffrey was sort of depressing on "Holy Night" and "Stay," but that's his wheelhouse, I guess.  However, I thought "Leather and Lace" was one of the better-performed coach duets in recent Voice history.  Gwen Stefani can sing?!  They harmonized well together and whoever got clearance for that song and thought of it - a duet featuring a husky-voiced female part and a high male part - is a genius.  Looks like no one on iTunes agrees with me, which is fine.  Loved it. 

Jordan was fine but I had a bit of a sense of various goofy sports cliches about "staying within yourself" and "not trying to do too much."  In football quarterback terms, he was more of a game manager in the finale, I think; in football or basketball terms, he was running out the clock.  The Sound of Music song was not particularly inspiring, and I enjoyed but did not go nuts over the duet (like a poster above I heard an awful lot of unison singing, which I did not understand; it was fun when Adam started vamping a separate part near the end, so the vocal choice for the bulk of the song was odd).  "Mary Did You Know," however, was beautiful, and really showcased why Jordan should win even though he seemed, in keeping with what I believe was his intent, to be going for an understated approach overall.  

You know, it's Christmastime.  Accordingly, I was not perturbed by "Christian pandering" with the selection of Christmas songs.  It was nice to hear given the season, and far better than any ridiculous "bringback" performance of a song we already heard.  New songs written "on the spot" don't do much for me either.  If there had been a festive Hanukkah or Kwanzaa number mixed in, perhaps that would have been an appropriate palliative, I guess. 

I cannot imagine Barrett winning and I don't think Jeffrey did quite enough tonight.  An Emily Ann win would not shock me in the slightest.  Jordan should win as the best voice, but that doesn't mean he will.  In any case, this was a good season for our household, as it should have been with marginal Pharrell and no Aguilera. 

Edited by Shades of Scarlet
  • Love 4

I thought that Emily Ann sounded weak on Blue Christmas; that song should have more oomph. But to be Gwen-ish for a moment, I loved her outfit for that number. I did like her version of Burning House, though. Islands In The Stream has always been a "meh"song to me but I think she somewhat held her own in it.

O Holy Night is one of my favorite songs, but my standard for it is Mario Lanza's version, so Jeffrey's begining verse was off-putting to me, though he finished up the song better. He's got a very good voice, bit his song choices suck and he's got absolutely no charisma or stage presence. He should have been singing the majority of his duet looking right at Gwen, but he was looking everywhere else.

Barrett's singing made no impression on me tonight, other than his voice didn't compare favorably to Blake's in their duet.

I like Jordan, and I was happy with his performances. I liked the duet with Adam because I like God Only Knows when I'm in a schmaltzy mood. Though I would have preferred Sail On, Sailor, if they were doing Beach Boys.

I had no problem with everyone's Christmas pick; the traditional religious songs usually have a good vocal range to them. I would have liked to have heard one of them do Christmas (Baby Please Come Home) if they were going to go secular, just because it's a favorite of mine.

I would definitely buy a CD of Blake doing all Kenny Rogers and Glen Campbell covers.

Whether or not the performers sing "Christian" songs or not doesn't make a difference to me. Just because I follow that faith doesn't mean I'm going to give them a pass or go rush to buy their song because of it. However, I think those of us living on the East or West coasts don't realize how pervasive and second-nature Christian music is on the radio once you move outside of urban centers. Your choice is usually either Christian, country or Rush Limbaugh.

• Love 1

Before the show there were 6 versions in the T1500 on iTunes: 45 + 228 + 690 Pentatonix

340 Peter Holmes

556 Kenny Rogers and Wynonna Judd

1134 Cee Lo Green

1136 Danny Gokey

1141 Clay Aiken.

Tied with O Holy Night, and double the Silent Nights.

Jordan now has 4 songs in the iTunes T10. Previously the most was 3, for...Jake Worthington. I wonder how close that guy was to winning given how he peaked at the exact right time.

My bad.  I am normally good about fact-checking before I post something.  I should have said- I only have heard of one other version of Mary Did You Know.  Then I should also have explained that I fall more into the Blake camp of music knowledge (not country just lower than average).  I was a bit embarrassed when I went on iTunes to buy Jordan's version to see so many others.  But in the putting kids to bed I didn't have time to come back and correct myself.

I thought that Emily Ann sounded weak on Blue Christmas; that song should have more oomph. But to be Gwen-ish for a moment, I loved her outfit for that number. I did like her version of Burning House, though. Islands In The Stream has always been a "meh"song to me but I think she somewhat held her own in it.

O Holy Night is one of my favorite songs, but my standard for it is Mario Lanza's version, so Jeffrey's begining verse was off-putting to me, though he finished up the song better. He's got a very good voice, bit his song choices suck and he's got absolutely no charisma or stage presence. He should have been singing the majority of his duet looking right at Gwen, but he was looking everywhere else.

Barrett's singing made no impression on me tonight, other than his voice didn't compare favorably to Blake's in their duet.

I like Jordan, and I was happy with his performances. I liked the duet with Adam because I like God Only Knows when I'm in a schmaltzy mood. Though I would have preferred Sail On, Sailor, if they were doing Beach Boys.

I had no problem with everyone's Christmas pick; the traditional religious songs usually have a good vocal range to them. I would have liked to have heard one of them do Christmas (Baby Please Come Home) if they were going to go secular, just because it's a favorite of mine.

I would definitely buy a CD of Blake doing all Kenny Rogers and Glen Campbell covers.

Whether or not the performers sing "Christian" songs or not doesn't make a difference to me. Just because I follow that faith doesn't mean I'm going to give them a pass or go rush to buy their song because of it. However, I think those of us living on the East or West coasts don't realize how pervasive and second-nature Christian music is on the radio once you move outside of urban centers. Your choice is usually either Christian, country or Rush Limbaugh.

Good comments.  I would have said more about Emily Ann's dress in the first number but I feel like I should wait at least a year (or several) to do so.  (Damn.) 

Yeah, now that I think about it, Jeffrey didn't connect with Gwen at all on "Leather and Lace," which is too bad, because she sang the hell out of it and he sounded good as well.  From a vocal standpoint, though, I loved it, and the song choice was just seamlessly perfect. 

If singing (e.g.) "Silent Night" is "Christian pandering," well, so be it, I suppose.  The problem was that Barrett shattered it. 

• Love 2

Why was Emily the lone contestant to go with a secular Xmas song? Missed out on a final pandering opportunity there. I think her voice might have sounded really good on the Amy Grant song "Breath of Heaven"...

Oh.... I think you are right.  That is a beautiful song.  I probably would have bought that.

I didn't care for Blue Christmas at all.  I did sort of like her last song.  I'm not familiar with country at all so I had never heard it.  But I didn't like it enough to buy it.

I couldn't hear Jordan at all in his duet with Adam. I could only hear Adam. He sounded good but he could've sang it without Jordan. And they were singing in unison 99% of the time. What's the point?

I on the other hand was pleasantly surprised that I liked it.  For me it was them nailing the harmony which is what the Beach Boys do so brilliantly. I usually never enjoy the coach duets but I did enjoy it. 

I am currently going through a Discovering Glen Campbell Phase.  He's been there all my life and I've always known who he was and heard his songs but some switch flipped one day several months ago and I now am a huge fan. I've watched a video of Wichita Lineman over and over.   So I was so torn when the Blake/Barrett duet started.  I love the song and enjoyed Blake's portions but whenever Barrett sings I get the hates. 

Jeffery I love but was a bit underwhelmed by his songs. Jordan I like and am fine with his win. But who's never heard of Mary Did You Know? Its in constant rotation with various artists' recordings from Thanksgiving til Christmas.  Just me?

I like Emily Ann and enjoyed the Cam song.  I've fallen in love with Cam so that didn't hurt but I thought Emily did a good job with it.  I wish she would have done some Allison Krauss or Emmylou Harris.  I think that's where she would shine.   

• Love 3

However, I thought "Leather and Lace" was one of the better-performed coach duets in recent Voice history.  Gwen Stefani can sing?!  They harmonized well together and whoever got clearance for that song and thought of it - a duet featuring a husky-voiced female part and a high male part - is a genius.  Looks like no one on iTunes agrees with me, which is fine.  Loved it.

It has been cleared for this show for quite a while.   Season 1: Casey Weston & Tim Mahoney.

And speaking of people I would have liked to have heard more from -- Casey Weston!

• Love 1

It has been cleared for this show for quite a while.   Season 1: Casey Weston & Tim Mahoney.

And speaking of people I would have liked to have heard more from -- Casey Weston!

Ah, thanks; I didn't begin watching until S4.  Clearance is not a one-time deal, though, in any case.   

Jeffery I love but was a bit underwhelmed by his songs. Jordan I like and am fine with his win. But who's never heard of Mary Did You Know? Its in constant rotation with various artists' recordings from Thanksgiving til Christmas.  Just me?

Well, I'll give Adam Levine a pass for not knowing this Christmas song the same way I gave him a pass for not knowing Oceans for Deanna.

Confession time: I hate Christmas music.  I steadfastly avoid it on the radio.  Hearing it the 3-4 Sundays leading up to Christmas is good enough for me.  But I do know Mary Did You Know because its a pretty frequent Christmas Eve "special music" song choice.

• Love 3

I only have heard of one other version of Mary Did You Know.

You should have checked out youtube. Kenny Rogers and others does it so much better. I don't get the love for Jordan. For me his singing is like 'color by numbers'. It is so boring even if he hits all the right notes.

• Love 4

Interesting finale. I thought Jeffery sounded the worst he's been all season. His song choices didn't suit his voice and he seemed really tense.

I hated Jordan's song choices. I tuned in a minute late and thought Climb Every Mountain was his holiday song (a lot of people group the Sound of Music into holiday music for some reason) because why else would he sing that? He has a beautiful voice, but he's like the least modern contestant ever, and not in a cool retro way. Then he sang Mary Did You Know, which is one of my absolute least favorite Christmas songs ever. I hate that song passionately. I was fine with him winning, which I still think he will, but now it's going to annoy me.

Barrett was fine but unremarkable. I thought he was good on Silent Night, but what is with Blake saying he has such a unique voice? He has a completely bland, generic country voice. Even if I were a huge fan of his and trying to point out his good qualities, that's the last thing I'd say because it's completely wrong.

I thought Emily Ann was the best of the night, although I'm still not amazed by her. She has a nice voice, is very pretty, and could have actual country success, but her voice lacks power. Maybe it will develop in the future, but she still seems kind of amateur. Her song choices were solid though, and she performed well. 

Leather and Lace, God Only Knows, and Islands in the Stream are three of my all time favorite guilty pleasure songs (I guess GOK isn't exactly a guilty pleasure, but considering I'm usually an unsentimental atheist, it kind of is), so I was very happy the coaches chose them, and I enjoyed them more than the other performances. I also thought most of the contestants sounded their best during the duets.

• Love 1

Did he say that?  Well . . . he's not very religious but grew up Jewish?

Last night he definitely said that he had "never heard of" Mary Did You Know.  I believe he also said that about Oceans when Deanna wanted to do it.  Going off memory here, but (I think) it was just last Season (8).   Adam does not admit to "not knowing" a song very often (unless its country) so it usually sticks out. 

And yes-- that's what I meant about giving him a pass... Being Jewish, and not particularly religious at that, I don't really expect him to know Contemporary Christian music-- like Oceans, so I was making the same general application to the overtly Christian themed Mary Did You Know?  I didn't realize that it might qualify as a standard "Holiday Song" to some.  I thought it was basically a "religious song" and I had no idea so many people had covered it!

• Love 1

The more I think about it, the more it bugs me that they forced the contestants to sing a "Holiday" song. There was no way that a contestant would sing anything but a Christian song especially with all the bigotry in the country against anyone who isn't Christian right now. I don't have a problem with secular Christmas songs that you hear in the mall (I don't like them due to hearing them for decades and decades but whatever). Mary Did You Know on the other hand, was incredibly offensive to me as an Agnostic. I should only have to hear shit like that when I go to church. Otherwise, stop pushing your beliefs on me.

I hope Barrett wins just The Voice gets one more crappy artist as a winner. The Voice should just become a CCR/Country show and stop pretending that they care about anything else.

• Love 1