Type keyword(s) to search

Orphan Black in the Media

Even though she previously won both, Maslany was snubbed by both the newer Critics Choice TV Awards and now the TV Critics Association Awards.

I'm guessing that a number of them stopped watching, and others still like her but the quality decline of the show makes it hard to vote for her.

I don't know--I just watched all of season 3 so far, including the new episode, and I don't find it any more convoluted than past seasons. I guess I was expecting to be more frustrated with the show after reading the Ken Levine article (which, oddly, motivated me enough to finally get around to binge watching the DVRed episodes). I had some issues with season 2 so season 3 hasn't seemed any worse IMO--except too many shots of that Castor set...er, base.

• Love 4

I don't have any problem with the multiple multiples.  My only issue is that I'm confused about who gave the book to whom and what copies and Nealon and Rachel and ..... yeah.  All that confused me.  But, otherwise, I'm clicking right along.

(edited)

bearcatfan originally posted this link in the Outlander forum, but it's relevant here, too.  This is Entertainment Weekly magazine's "Brave New Warriors" panel at the 2015 San Diego Comic Con, via GeekNation.  Jordan Gavaris participated:

http://geeknation.com/videos/sdcc-15-ews-brave-new-warriors-panel/#.VaEpSuP6ohg.twitter

Edited to add:  Here's a clearer version of the same panel, courtesy of Flicks and the City:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HU-sMcGvptA

Edited by LeighAnne
(edited)

I watched the Emmy announcements live and did a mental double-take.  It was like, "Yes, good... wait! HOLY SHIT!"  Very happy for Tatiana Maslany right now. Way to go, Emmy voters!

Edited by DEM
  • Love 5

Loved the Emmy website announcement of Tatiana's nomination

Orphan Black • BBC America • Temple Street Productions in association with BBC AMERICA and Bell Media’s SPACE
Tatiana Maslany as Sarah, Alison, Cosima, Helena, Rachel and Krystal

• Love 12
(edited)

SQEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!! Overdue, but much approved.  I guess they can get creamed by the media only so long before even the Emmy voters take note.

Edited by RachelKM
  • Love 3

Loved the Emmy website announcement of Tatiana's nomination

Orphan Black • BBC America • Temple Street Productions in association with BBC AMERICA and Bell Media’s SPACE

Tatiana Maslany as Sarah, Alison, Cosima, Helena, Rachel and Krystal

So is it for best actress or best ensemble? They also forgot Beth...

But seriously, great news! Yay for Tat!

• Love 2
(edited)

Shocking.

SQEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!! Overdue, but much approved.  I get they can get creamed by the media only so long before even the Emmy voters take note.

I mean, even the critics groups who gave her awards in the past dropped her from their noms this season, probably because they're over the show, so I don't know if that's what happened.

And...The Wire never got any nom besides Writing, and that's considered one of the GOAT shows by critics, so I don't think Emmy voters give an eff.

It's more like one of those cases of Emmy voters being way behind before finally catching up when something's over the hill. Similar to how Game of Thrones is poised to finally take a Series win. Or how Sherlock won major Emmys for its worst season.

Edited by jjjmoss
  • Love 1

This nom is for last season or this past one? Doesn't matter to me because about friggin time, just wondering.

This season. Period of eligibility is from June 1, 2014 - May 31, 2015. Then there's the "hanging episodes" rule, which covers the remaining episodes that aired this June.

Also, Krystal was mentioned above.

• Love 1

Also, Krystal was mentioned above.

Krystal is becoming a fan favorite, which is cool because Tatiana says they created the character only after the showrunners/producers heard her joking around the set using Krystal's voice.

I can't wait to see Tatiana's clip during the Emmy ceremony. How many clones will be included?

• Love 1

Whoa!!!! Hooray!! We sold our house and moved into a new one in the middle of the season, so I couldn't record the third season and now have to wait for it...but that didn't stop me from cheering aloud when I read the list. 

I'm actually scared to hope she'll win.  Like it will jinx it or something.  All scifi fans know the scary "please let my show be renewed" waiting game...but I have never had to figure out if I'm good luck, or bad luck for an emmy win in terms of wishing.  I have been known to be quite the "Oh I hope this show catches on and....oh...it's canceled...poo" so for the good of all, I will try and remain wish neutral.  

Still thrilled though! 

• Love 1

Got a prompt from NYTimes on my iPhone re: Emmy Noms, and wow.....this is awesome.  Awesome, AWESOME, AWESOME!  I waited in vain back in the era of The Wire for those amazing actors (Dominick West, Clarke Phillips, Wendell Pierce, Sonya Sohn....I could go on!!) to no avail.  So happy for Tatiana.

• Love 3

The nomination list was so tired/expected as I was reading it...and then I had to do a doubletake and realized Tatiana had been included! Just like that I was interested again! I love the show and the cast, but her skillset is truly amazing!

• Love 1
(edited)

So what do you guys think would be a good clip to use for Emmy night? Something with multiple clones I would hope.   Sometimes I wonder who picks these things because every now and then they show a not so great clip then show the actor looking surprised that they picked THAT one. Like an embarassed look sometimes!   Does the studio pick it?

Edited by Valny
(edited)

According to TVLine, TM plans to submit Certain Agony of the Battlefield (3x06).

TVLINE | Now that you have deservedly squeezed in there, do you know which episode you want to submit?
There was an episode I did, 306, and I got to work with [director] Helen Shaver. She’s an actor, as well, and an insane director. She’s so talented, so insightful and so passionate about the show and about the characters. Every time she comes to set, she changes the fabric of our show in the way that she shoots it, in the way that she reveals characters and the sort of work she gets us to do.

full interview here.  Excellent choice IMO!

Edited by DEM
  • Love 1

So 3x06 is Paul's death episode & where Sarah has the Beth dream, but just checking out the rest of the episode, I can't quite believe HOW MUCH Tat does in it (she's playing 6 different people (and a scorpion) and other than Sarah/Beth I'd momentarily blanked that she played everyone else too) and how many awesome scenes are packed into 40 minutes.

• Alison twerks & reconnects with Jason Kellerman
  • Helena eats Pupok & comes back for Sarah
  • Rachel gets tortured by Felix & mourns her father
  • Cosima deals with Delphine coming back & the protein in Gracie

I think there's so much awesomeness to choose from in season 3. I can't see how any one single episode can show the breadth of her talent. I'd love for the Emmy voters to also see the scene in episode 1 where Sarah's playing Rachel & Alison's playing Sarah (but then they'd also have to watch the rest of the show to really appreciate the subtle (and not so subtle) differences between the clones and clones playing clones), episode 7 with Sarah & Helena in the diner and Cosima & Alison together - less dramatic but they'd see all these different women on screen together and yet they're all played by the same person and then episode 8 we have Krystal and then Helena trying to be suburban. Or the final clone club dinner where I am actually at the stage where I watched without even thinking about all the special effects involved or that half the table was the same person. Honestly I could sit here all evening and pick out amazing moments.

• Love 2