Type keyword(s) to search

Orphan Black in the Media

These two articles combined might allow you to extrapolate that point if you/we can't locate the article that explicitly states it:

slate.com/articles/arts/culturebox/2014/04/male_characters_on_orphan_black_are_undeveloped_making_the_show_s_feminist.html

I recently read the Slate article and imo, the author came across as being very petty in her view of the male characters and feminism.  An undeveloped and purely reactionary character is a sign of poor writing regardless of the gender.  I don't really agree with the author as I think the underdevelopedness of the male characters is because they're all supporting characters to Sara and the clones (fantastic band name btw).  It's never a good idea to have a "now it's our turn" mentality, which I think the author has embraced.  It's counterproductive when it's applied to race and it's equally counterproductive when it's applied to gender.  

Though I do agree with her when she talks about the ineptitude of the clones' enemies.  Seriously, the writers need to make them a bit smarter and more dangerous.

• Love 2

Justin Chatwin (Shameless), James Frain (True Blood & Intruders), Earl Pastko (Murdoch Mysteries), Ksenia Solo (Black Swan & Lost Girl), and Kyra Harper (Warehouse 13) have joined the cast.

Chatwin is drug dealer Jason Kellerman. Frain is "well-educated 'cleaner'" Ferdinand and Pastko his bodyguard, Bulldog. Solo is "a holistic healer destined to become a new friend to Cosima," and Harper is Dr. Coady, a "ruthless advisor to the military."

• Love 1

Well technically Allison's kids are also non-white, but your point is well taken especially since we've lost Vic the Dick (RIP).  Though in fairness to the show, 1/2 the regular characters are played by Tatiana Maslany.  That will somewhat limit ethnic diversity in casting. 

• Love 3

Wait Vic the Dick wasn't white? 

I was unhappy that despite all the cast additions, they didn't do the most sensible thing and have Enver Gjojkaj in it - but then he's going to be on Agent Carter I hear, so that mollifies me a little. They've generally made the right call in casting though, including Dylan Bruce. 

Yeah, the same thought occured to me- great to have more Orphan Black news, but the cast does seem to be growing more overwhelmingly white. Tatiana Maslany playing most of the major characters can only be used as an excuse up to a certain point, there are several other actors listed in the main credits, and all but one are white now (not to mention most of the supporting cast). Given that it's set in what appears to be quite a large "Anycity", you would have thought there would be more ethnic diversity across the characters encountered.

Also, damn, isn't that the guy out of the terrible Dragonball film?

All the above said, however, I was very pleased about the inclusion of James Frain, I enjoyed him in The Tudors, and he's been pretty good in what I've seen of him since.

• Love 1

Oh, yeah!  Tatiana got a SAG nomination.  At least the SAGs know what's up, unlike those over-the-hill Emmy voters, heh.  Love that it actually takes two lines to include all the characters she is playing and how it even ends with "and Various Others."  Pulling for her, but even if she doesn't win, get nominated (especially in that group), is a pretty big deal.  Yay, Tatiana!

• Love 11

FINALLY! I haven't seen who's she's up against yet, but whoever it is, I don't care... she can take them down!
maybe this will wake up the Emmy voters, but I'm not holding my breathe.
Which clip do you think they'll show?(if they are showing any) I don't know if she gets to chose or SAG does.  Something with another clone would be my pick. Helena/Sarah maybe.

So many good ones.  Not Tony though

please!

Edited by Valny

Oh, yeah!  Tatiana got a SAG nomination.  At least the SAGs know what's up, unlike those over-the-hill Emmy voters, heh.  Love that it actually takes two lines to include all the characters she is playing and how it even ends with "and Various Others."  Pulling for her, but even if she doesn't win, get nominated (especially in that group), is a pretty big deal.  Yay, Tatiana!

She's in great company:

Outstanding Performance by a Female Actor in a Drama Series (6 nominees)

CLAIRE DANES / Carrie Mathison – “HOMELAND” (Showtime)

VIOLA DAVIS / Annalise Keating – "HOW TO GET AWAY WITH MURDER" (ABC)

JULIANNA MARGULIES / Alicia Florrick – "THE GOOD WIFE" (CBS)

TATIANA MASLANY / Sarah/Coxima/Alison/Rachel/ – "ORPHAN BLACK" (BBC America)

Helena/Tony/Jennifer and Various Others              

MAGGIE SMITH / Violet, Dowager Countess of Grantham – “DOWNTON ABBEY” (PBS)

ROBIN WRIGHT / Claire Underwood – "HOUSE OF CARDS" (Netflix)

RE "various others," there was The German (Katya? I can't remember), and also the cop who threw herself in front of the train in the first episode (whose name I also can't remember).

Sooooo glad for the nomination!

Awards are usually only for the most recent previous season, in this case Season 2.  I don't think Beth (or even Sarah as Beth) or Katja appeared in Season 2.  Either way, it's still pretty funny to see TM and her mile long character list up against the other actesses.

Check out the exclusive first 'Orphan Black' season 3 image (with intel from creator Graeme Manson)

http://insidetv.ew.com/2014/12/17/orphan-black-season-3-first-look/?hootPostID=9344c7737732b6b9e51dc150da8c1358

There's a lot of talk about Ari Millen and the male clones and that gives me serious pause -  the one thing I was afraid of coming into the new season was a shift to the "new toy" for the writers at the expense of the female clones. Hope I'm wrong, but this doesn't help, tbh.

• Love 3

There's a lot of talk about Ari Millen and the male clones and that gives me serious pause -  the one thing I was afraid of coming into the new season was a shift to the "new toy" for the writers at the expense of the female clones. Hope I'm wrong, but this doesn't help, tbh.

I feel the same way. I watch this show because of how great Tatiana Maslany is, but the writing is not that great imo. Specially in season 2. They just want to explore everything all the time, go in a million directions and I basically don't care too much about that and the mysteries of the clones. It feels like they just want to keep going wide and wide, instead of deeper. I just like the clones themselves because they are such great characters.

From the article, I'm using spoiler tags just in case (we need a spoiler thread!)

And I understand this clone has a name now?

Yep. The boy’s name is Rudy. And obviously Rudy—or Scarface, as we call him in the writer’s room—is not Mark, who is the other Castor clone that we’ve known before. So immediately that poses a bunch of questions for us: How are they different? How are they the same, these brothers? And what the heck is Mark up to? Is Mark a traitor? Is Mark undercover? Like everyone else on Orphan Black, Mark has divided loyalties.

It poses no questions to me because I doooooon't caaaareeeeee about the boy clones.

Also:

So each world—Cosima’s, Sarah’s, Allison’s—are gonna get a juicy new character to interact with over the course of their season.

NO! I don't want them to be in their own worlds again. That is the opposite of what I look forward to, and what made season two so messy, that all of them were in their own world. Augh.

Edited by natyxg
  • Love 4

Yeah, definitely not wanting to be a Debbie Downer, but I hope the male clone talk is just hype talk.  While this show has a lot about it I like, I think it lives and dies by Tatiana Maslany and her characters, and having less of that would just be bad.  I got nothing against Ari Millen; he was fine in the second season; but I don't want him to go past supporting roles.

And, really: one of the biggest praises this show has gotten from critics and fans is that it's so female-centric.  Having too much of these new male clones would really piss some people off.  Again, I'll wait and see, but I've been kind of having a bad time with some of my former favorites lately (angrily looks at both Sleepy Hollow and Arrow.)

• Love 4

Yeah, those bits don't sound too good. The show suffered noticeably from breaking up the Clone Club in separate story lines. Hopefully they can find a compromise: Give them their own stories, but also get them together regularly, if only to discuss their situation and give advice etc.

Well technically Allison's kids are also non-white, but your point is well taken especially since we've lost Vic the Dick (RIP).  Though in fairness to the show, 1/2 the regular characters are played by Tatiana Maslany.  That will somewhat limit ethnic diversity in casting. 

Wait, Vic is gone? What did I miss? Not that I'd really miss the character, but Michael Mando sure was a lot of fun.

Wait Vic the Dick wasn't white? 

He was "urban".

Wait, Vic is gone? What did I miss? Not that I'd really miss the character, but Michael Mando sure was a lot of fun.

For some reason I had it in my head that he died, but I think he was just drugged.  So hopefully he'll be back in season 3.

He was "urban".

Sill funny.

For some reason I had it in my head that he died, but I think he was just drugged.  So hopefully he'll be back in season 3.

Last time we see Vic is when Donnie confronts him and the female cop in the police van they were using to spy on Donnie and Allison. So he's very much alive and could be back if they want.

Last time we see Vic is when Donnie confronts him and the female cop in the police van they were using to spy on Donnie and Allison. So he's very much alive and could be back if they want.

Michael Mando is currently shooting the new tv series Better Call Saul. I don't where that is shooting or whether the shooting schedule would allow him to make a guest appearance on OB.

I'm sorry, I must have missed a post or something. What donations are you talking about?

This morning somebody spammed every single thread in this section about an Orphan Black t-shirt sale, with charity donations or some such. The posts have all since been removed.

They were actually somewhat funny t'shirts, which said: "I want to make crazy science with you" (or something like that), and the money from sales was supposedly being donated. But it didn't say where they were donating the money, which seemed strange to me.

• Love 1

Orphan Black Co-Creator John Fawcett Talks "Crazy" Season 3

Nice to hear that they have a plan for five seasons now and don't want to stretch the story past its logical end.

This is good, too; I know a lot of us were worried about the male clones pulling too much focus:

N: Switching gears slightly, but, now that you’ve written a whole season of male clone stories, has anything surprised you about the male clone trajectory versus the female one?

JF: Well, this is a story about our girls. This is a story about Sarah and her sisters and Project Castor and the male clones really are necessary in the storytelling of the mystery. As much as we’re invested about what’s really cool about the male clones, that’s a means to an end for us.

• Love 5

I am super glad to hear him say that. I don't necessarily mind the male clone aspect, I just don't want them pulling focus anymore than any other sideplot would (like the Proletheans). 

• Love 2

Speaking of Hot Topic just before Christmas I found a white tee there with "Sestra" scrawled on the front in red and Helena's angel wings on the back also in red. LOVE it!

Sonuva-- now I've gotta go to Hot Topic. And I haven't set foot in one since the early 2000s.

Michael Mando, the actor that played Vic, is now a featured character on Better Call Saul. The characters aren't really similar, but I can't help but think how the guy in Saul is going to screw things up to great comic effect. 

• Love 2

AMC is giving the Orphan Black premiere the full State of the Union treatment

AMC Networks will air the highly-anticipated season three premiere of BBC AMERICA’s hit series Orphan Black on Saturday, April 18 at 10 PM ET across all of its U.S. networks – AMC, BBC AMERICA, IFC, SundanceTV and WE tv – the first time the AMC Networks channel group has used its combined portfolio of networks to air a premiere of its programming.  BBC AMERICA is operated as a joint venture between AMC Networks and BBC Worldwide.
  • Love 13