Type keyword(s) to search

Orphan Black in the Media

Orphan Black won a Peabody Award.

This year’s Peabody Award winners are a typically eclectic list ranging from hits such as ABC’s “Scandal” and AMC’s “Breaking Bad” to Netflix’s groundbreaking drama “House of Cards” to BBC America’s buzzworthy “Orphan Black.” 

“This American Life” host Ira Glass will emcee the Peabody presentation ceremony on May 19 in New York City. Cabler Pivot will air highlights of the ceremony later in the year.

Orphan Black (BBC America)

Temple Street Productions in association with BBC America and SPACE
It’s all about cloning, but Orphan Black is one of a kind – a super-charged, stylized sci-fi action serial that ponders identity, humanity, bioethics and genetic research when it occasionally stops for breath. Tatiana Maslany is a marvel in the title role.

http://variety.com/2014/tv/news/scandal-house-of-cards-the-bridge-orphan-black-among-peabody-winners-1201151554/

• Love 3

I was really glad to read this morning that Orphan Black had won a Peabody Award. Congratulations to the cast and crew. Tatiana has deservedly received the lion’s share of the acclaim for the show, but it’s nice that the show itself is being recognized. Tatiana gives a great performance, but I’ve seen plenty of great performances get stranded in bad movies and TV shows. She is giving a great performance and it’s supported by a fabulous supporting cast, great writing, and decent production values.  I hope this award brings more new people to the show.

• Love 4

So now three of my all-time favorites shows (this one, Battlestar Galactica, and Band of Brothers) are recipients of a Peabody....here's hoping that OB will do better in future Emmy recognition than BSG ever did (bare-bones, red-headed step-child treatment due to being categorized as a science fiction *headdesk*).

BBC America released a new trailer yesterday:

They also released this one a few weeks ago:

(edited)

Wil Wheaton is hosting a Cloneversation with the cast of Orphan Black on April 12:

A few more videos!

Tatiana Maslany:

John Fawcett & Graeme Manson:

Character videos that were released last week:

Sarah:

Cosima:

Alison:

Rachel:

Felix:

Edited by David T. Cole

I gotta hand it to BBC America, they are NOT skimping on promotion for the show this season. And the Orphan Black social media crew deserves their own awards, too. I'm so impressed with how they're orchestrating this whole rollout and am kinda waiting for their Tumblr writer to get her/his own show; they're hilarious. 

Today we have Tatiana in the New York Times: "Shape-Shifting Into Success" http://www.nytimes.com/2014/04/20/arts/television/tatiana-maslany-plays-many-characters-in-orphan-black.html?_r=1

The Los Angeles Times: "'Orphan Black's' Tatiana Maslany is no longer just faces in the crowd"   http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/tv/showtracker/la-et-st-tatiana-maslany-orphan-black-20140417,0,416850.story

And Jordan and Graeme in TV Line:"Orphan Black Preview: Season 2 Brings 'Character Shocks' and … a Traitorous Felix?" http://tvline.com/2014/04/17/orphan-black-season-2-spoilers-felix-love-life-sarahs-monitor/

Among many, many other articles from this past week. Oh, and the NYC fan preview for the S2 premiere is tonight so the chance for spoilers will greatly increase. 

At least this year effort has been made to raise awareness for the show and hopefully get Maslany that damn Emmy.  

Edited by DioxinBlues
  • Love 2

This part from the TVLine interview makes me sad. I was afraid of this from the get-go.

TVLINE | I read a disturbing theory that Felix is Sarah’s watcher.
GAVARIS | Well, his upbringing and past is still very much open-ended.

• Love 1

Here's a bit on Kathryn Alexandre, Tatiana's clone stand-in:

I saw that today on Facebook. I love behind the scenes stuff, and it was nice to "meet" her. What a cool job. I'll be interested in actually seeing whatever part they gave her in episode nine.

Does anyone know where I can find some season 2 episode screen caps? They're hard to find.

Oh thank you so much Willowy, you rock.  

Oooh I see in one of those caps, they showed something they didn't show in the previews for ep 2. It shows the person who puts their gloved hands over Sarah's mouth. But I don't even recognize that person.

I'm not one to throw around the word "magical," or to rave about people's hair, but that woman's hair is magical.  If you really were engineering an illegal cloning operation, that would be the hair to shoot for.  We should all get to pick Evelyne's hair in a eugenicized future.

• Love 1

Tonight on Castle there was an ongoing Scrabble game, and about 20 minutes in. Castle played the word DYAD--which the closed captioning spelled with all caps, as we've seen it lately for Orphan Black. He said it means "two people talking." There are other meanings, including genetics-related, but Orphan Black's DYAD also an acronym, for what?

Although Castle is a simple crime procedural with romantic comedy subplot, Nathan Fillion, who plays Castle, is well known for science fiction roles in Firefly and Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog, and in Castle his character is a scifi fan, so I like to think this is a true Orphan Black Easter egg in the episode.

Great article above, Willowy, especially:

...Maslany used certain triggers to help her slip seamlessly into another persona for "Orphan Black" in the first season. Sometimes, it was music and at others it was just walking around in the character's actual shoes.

"I would dance a lot in between scenes to keep up their movement," she said. "That was key."

Co-star Jordan Gavaris, who plays Sarah's colorful foster brother Felix, found it to be a real-life conspiracy.

"It is like watching some sort of magician work," Gavaris said. "She's teeny, tiny. I'm hard-pressed to pull the curtain back. I don't know where the magic happens or comes from. Her process is so internal, and so finite and so flawless."

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 2

Not really anything new, but I always like hearing from other cast members: Maria Doyle Kennedy and Evelyne Brochu did an interview with EW live.

I could totally listen to Evelyne's smoky, morning voice like all day. <swoon>

Interesting that Maria and Evelyne said they don't think their characters' ultimate loyalties will be revealed this season. Guess the ambiguity will continue to season 3 (if there is one)? 

I also had to laugh at Evelyne's "it felt like I had lost a friend" when she described meeting Tatiana as Rachel.

Yahoo Canada has been interviewing Kristian Bruun (Donnie) after every episode this season. He also ranks the clones in order of best to worst in that particular episode. He actually has some spot-on insights! I love that the actors all seem like they are huge fans of the show!

• Love 4

OMG he is amazing.  His point about Jennifer having been at Dyad for the entirety of season 1 kind of blew my mind.  I hope I remember to go looking for those every week (hint hint, keep bringing them over for us space cases). 

Yeah, I'm pleasantly surprised at how astute that was.  I just couldn't imagine the guy I picture as "farting Donnie" being so on point, but that was a great breakdown of the episode.  And stupidly I kind of needed him to connect those dots for me on Jennifer, because I'm a bit fuzzy on this show's timeline sometimes.  

Thank you for posting these links, I love to read about the actors, how and why they portray their characters, etc.

And thank you for the Kristian Brunn interview, I really love his insights and that he's as much of a fan as we are. :-)

(edited)

Yahoo Canada has been interviewing Kristian Bruun (Donnie) after every episode this season. He also ranks the clones in order of best to worst in that particular episode. He actually has some spot-on insights! I love that the actors all seem like they are huge fans of the show!

jaybear1701, I posted that link over on TWoP (and credited you of course) in case anyone over there hasn't migrated over here yet.

Those are awesome.......and I think I have a crush on Kristian Brunn. I may have to start calling the Prolitheans Dirty Prolees. How cool is it that the Blood Ties cast (sans Sarah Stubbs) are people from the real Blood Ties musical?!?!?

It's so awesome that all the actors on this show really seem to love it to death.

Edited by hardy har

Michiel Huisman in Interview Magazine

He's Dutch? He's not... I don't... sigh. Can someone explain to me why people in that general part of Europe can learn English with no trace of an accent? 

I think because English has a lot of Germanic roots. English is like a dumbed down German/Dutch/Nordic language. He falls into the He's Foreign? bucket along with Joel Kinnaman and Alexander Saarsgard. 

• Love 1

Does anyone here remember where they read why the creators of the show made the clones women? I am writing a blog post and I need to link to the reference so people don't argue with me. Thanks!

(edited)

Thanks @Ceeg did they say that they wanted to make the clones women because of the inherent nature of men controlling women's bodies?

These two articles combined might allow you to extrapolate that point if you/we can't locate the article that explicitly states it:

slate.com/articles/arts/culturebox/2014/04/male_characters_on_orphan_black_are_undeveloped_making_the_show_s_feminist.html

and then

avclub.com/article/orphan-black-showrunner-graeme-manson-whats-tail-203405 with:

GM: I think that was part of the plan, but it certainly developed particularly with a couple of key people in the writers’ room. One is Karen Walton, who is our resident keep-the-boys-in-line writer. Very experienced. Great old friend of mine. She keeps all the boys in line, but she always says that all the boys are feminists, so I guess that helps.

Edited by shapeshifter