Type keyword(s) to search

S31.E09: Witches Coven

Tara Ariano
  • Start Topic

Oh yeah, I meant to mention: I don't think I've ever seen them anywhere near as miserable at tribal as this time, but tribal council has always been open to the elements.  Interesting how many times people said they couldn't think straight because of the rain--I wonder if this will be Jeremy's excuse?  "Sorry guys, we meant to write Wentworth, but we were just totally addled by the rain!"

• Love 1

For people with better things to do here's the highlights of Kelly's interviews around the web:

Joe was in fact playing the game and had a four man alliance of him, Kelly, Keith and Stephen (lol) because nobody would see it coming that he was aligned with Stephen.

Stephen annoyed the shit out of Kelly making sure he was good with her the day before the vote.

Kelly and Tasha both knew that Jeremy was going to jump from the shifty way he was acting and tried to get to Kimmi so they could all switch their votes to wentworth but they couldn't get to her in time so they chose to stick to the plan.

Abi apparently hated Kelly for working too hard.

Ciera tried to approach her about working with her at the merge but she didn't trust Ciera since Ciera lied to her about Woo.

Ha! I love Kelly and I love Joe but I don't know whether her perception of "playing the game" would go along with my perception of playing the game. Though him being secretly aligned with Stephen would be interesting if true.

• Love 1

I like Kelly, but she's not a very intriguing player, so her boot was not very interesting.  Most interesting to me was how miserably cold they all were.  Stephen looked terrified every time the camera caught him, but he was probably just freezing.  Seriously, these people could easily have hypothermia!  When Stephen buried his advantage, I thought maybe he'd be going home that night or at least that he would forget where he buried it.  I really liked the beginning of this season - it was so easy already knowing who almost everyone was, but it's kind of dragging at this point.  

At least Jeremy's nice and likable and playing his game with actual clear knowledge not a hint of paranoia.  The exact opposite of Tony.

What is wrong with paranoia?  I found it hilarious that entire season.  Sometimes it seemed totally misplaced.   No harm, no foul.  

Speaking of Shakespeare, it was like a Greek tragedy in reverse.   Tony's "fatal flaw" helped him destroy his "imagined" enemies and helped him win the game handily.

We have seen other weather-miserable seasons.  Wasn't one of them Fans versus Favourites when that depressed woman Kathy left the game?

• Love 1

I'm over Fishbach.  He's screwing up his second chance because he can't get over what he did wrong his first time around.  

Fishback is so focused on not repeating the same mistakes that he is oblivious to the fact that he is making new mistakes all the time.  

He seems to be forgetting one of the things that has made Survivor last for 31 seasons - every season is different because the different players add different things to the mix.  The winning strategy one season might get you kicked out before the merge in another season, and vice versa. Stephen needs to remember what Boston Rob finally learned - you need to adjust your game for the players you are playing with.  

• Love 12

For people with better things to do here's the highlights of Kelly's interviews around the web:

Joe was in fact playing the game and had a four man alliance of him, Kelly, Keith and Stephen (lol) because nobody would see it coming that he was aligned with Stephen.

Stephen annoyed the shit out of Kelly making sure he was good with her the day before the vote.

Kelly and Tasha both knew that Jeremy was going to jump from the shifty way he was acting and tried to get to Kimmi so they could all switch their votes to wentworth but they couldn't get to her in time so they chose to stick to the plan.

Abi apparently hated Kelly for working too hard.

Ciera tried to approach her about working with her at the merge but she didn't trust Ciera since Ciera lied to her about Woo.

Kelly Wi has said in interviews that she was surprised to go home.  But she and Tasha knew Jeremy was going to jump?  That's conflicting and I'm confused.  Also Tasha is not listed as an alliance member in the KellyWi, Joe etc alliance but was working with her on not getting voted out?  How could they  "not get to Kimmi in time"?  If Kimmi knew Wi was the target she could have approached Wi if she wanted to work with whatever KellyWi was tryingto put together to not go home. Although KWi made it sound in an interview that Kimmi was surprised or at least said "No, I love you" when the vote came down which is not necessarily the same thing I guess. So Tasha was willing to break with Jeremy?

So, another time  Abi may be getting her alliance to vote for someone she doesn't like (Savage vs the other more threatening possibilities). 

Edited by marys1000
  • Love 1

She said that she knew that Jeremy was not going to vote the way he was suppose to because he would not make eye contact with Tasha or her and that they tried to change their votes so that there was no split but they could not get to Kimmi in time. If this happened as they were prepping to go to tribal, it could be that they talked and went looking for Kimmi but the "No talking" rule on the way to tribal came into force.

Next week on Survivor the Outcast Twist from Pearl Islands Is Back!

Angkor Tribe (All 10 survivors that were voted out)
Vytas
Shireen
PG
Jeff Varner
Monica
Terry
Woo
Kass
Andrew
Kelly Wigglesworth

vs

Orkun Tribe

Abi
Cierra
Kelly Wentworth
Kimmi
Tasha
Joe
Jeremy
Stephen
Spencer
Keith

If Angkor wins 2 people will be voted back into the game and 2 people from Orkun will be voted out. Relax guys none of this is true Im just messing with you all lolololol

• Love 1

Stephen wants to be Macbeth, which is even worse. I don't think he thought that through.

Yes, and recently he compared himself to Ahab. Dude either has weird role models, or doesn't know his classics as well as he thinks. 

I hate it too. Esp since Fishbach was the one to get it. It was a no-brainer for SF to try for it once Jeff announced it during the challenge since he has zero chance of winning almost all challenges. Spencer, who was his only competition for it, prob hesitated a nano-second before jumping in since he's half-way decent at challenges. The clue was practically Fishy's for the taking.

Joe's my fave, but yeah, step up the game play Dude. I've come to the conclusion the the Yogi mindset isn't conducive to playing Survivor.

Aras and Parvati would beg to disagree.

OK so--

I'm trying to wrap my head around things.  Specifically Jeremy going along with this.  There's a lot of mysteries in the episode, that one is still unsolved to my satisfaction.  A lot of Stephen's behavior I have invented a tentative narrative for, to wit:  Why did Stephen target Wigelsworth?  Because, perhaps, the "witches" suggested it, and Stephen, desperate to make a move, any move, went with what they said.  Why would the girls at the bottom suggest it?  Because, perhaps, Tasha had suggested it first.  Ciera named the right name--Jeremy--but Tasha suggested Wigelsworth, and Ciera of course is going to go with whatever plan is not her, Wentworth, or Abi going (and probably, when you come down to it, any plan that is not she herself going.)  Since Tasha had mentioned Wigelsworth already, perhaps she thought it would go over OK with Stephen when he came looking for a move to make.  Why would Tasha suggest it?  It seems like she suggested it to change the subject from Jeremy.  (So in a weird roundabout way, Tasha trying to help Jeremy might have led to him blindsiding her...?)  Why did Stephen claim he, Spencer, and Jeremy of all people are on the bottom?  Because he was trying to convince them to make a move.  In what might have been another "take that" to Stephen by the editors, they included him saying "it's not heirarchical" in the previously, and also him talking about the heirarchy of the alliance, using that very term.  Now I can't imagine Stephen really thinks Jeremy is on the bottom, nor that he thinks Jeremy thinks so.  But I can imagine him saying that to bring in Spencer, who otherwise might be suspicious of such a bananas move that seems like a pretty good deal for him, I guess.  Honestly though all of that is really difficult to come to grips with.  I can see Spencer as a natural player to look at for an ally, for Stephen, since Spencer was--or so it seemed--actually on the bottom, and Stephen was all about getting the people on the bottom to help him flip the game right now.

But why would Jeremy go along with this?  How does it help him?  What's been so impressive about Jeremy's game so far is in fact his ability to say no, without making anyone upset or suspicious, even though it benefitted Jeremy more than others.  He did a marvelous job of that with Savage last episode; a few quiet words and Savage is reluctantly (so he claimed in a talking head) going along with it because he's realized it really is the best choice.  He's even done it with Stephen already!  But now he goes along with Stephen's plan, which I don't see any benefit to, for Jeremy.  Status quo was good for Jeremy.  But then I don't really see any benefit to anybody; this thing about Wigelsworth being a big threat, if true, represents a big failure in the editing.  (I'd rather believe the telephone-game narrative above.) 

Anyway, I love Jeremy as a person, as an object to ogle, and as a player this season--he is mostly following my mantra of "What would Kim Spradlin do?" very well.  Maybe this move will be like voting out Kat was for Kim--a way to make other people think they are more powerful than they are (Alicia in Kim's case, Stephen in Jeremy's), and won't harm him.  Maybe.  But Kim didn't blindside the rest of her alliance to do it; every single person voted for Kat, so it didn't hurt Kim.  I guess we'll see if it hurts Jeremy. 

I must say that despite my fondness for Jeremy, him getting another idol is very boring, as is Joe winning immunity.  And really, so is voting out Wigelsworth.  She was boring.  Her blindside was also boring.  The way the editors have it in for Stephen this season, I'd almost believe they edited her so invisibly not because she was boring or disappointing to Probst, but just to make his BIG MOVE a monumental anti-climax....

Oh God are we doing this again this week?  Someone take over for me, I'm exhausted.

So happy I'm not the only one left scratching my head after this episode. Thanks for your analysis.

Many mention that Joe is not playing and relying only on immunity wins. Maybe, maybe not. After all, who knew Kelly Wi was such a social butterfly? Not me, based on editing. So for all I know, Joe might be working his ass off waving numerous webs and we are not privvy to it. Not saying that this is or not the case for sure, just that editing this season seems seriously lopsided to me.

• Love 2
I still think it is a difference of 2 votes. Say Stephen is voting for Joe. That doesn't change either way.

He then chooses Spencer. So Spencer's vote for Abi won't count. So Abi gets one less, but Joe will get one more vote.

Maybe it's semantics, but I think the "Steal" is very different (and much more powerful) than Stephen simply getting a 2nd vote.

Consider a hypothetical scenario where a 5 person alliance is targeting Player A.  Another 4 person alliance (including Stephen) is targeting Player B.

Player A would be voted out 5-4.

If it were just a matter of Stephen getting a second vote, he could play it, but it would only force a 5-5 tie.

But, Stephen's steal also depletes one of the 5-person alliance's votes, so the outcome switches to Player B being voted out 5-4.

So, I guess you can say that the Steal gives a player the power to manipulate (either add or deplete) two votes in addition to casting his own vote.

Edited by Alapaki
  • Love 2

Stephen gets to keep someone from voting and casts a vote for that person.  Example: Joe is going to vote for Stephen, Stephen takes Joe's vote. Stephen casts his vote for Joe. Stephen casts Joe's vote for Joe. Stephen negates a vote against himself and adds and extra vote for Joe. It is a pretty big switch.

I kind of want Stephen to end up taking Jeremy's vote, vote for Jeremy and then have Jeremy play an idol and see Stephen bounced as the second most votes. That would be soooooooooo much fun.

• Love 8

Yes, this advantage is pretty big and it made me realize how much I'm rooting against Stephen, because if say Kelley or (hell, let's get crazy) Keith, Kelly or anyone else - except for Jeremy, who already has his hands (too) full as it is - had gotten it, I would have found it very exciting.  

• Love 2

Yes, this advantage is pretty big and it made me realize how much I'm rooting against Stephen, because if say Kelley or (hell, let's get crazy) Keith, Kelly or anyone else - except for Jeremy, who already has his hands (too) full as it is - had gotten it, I would have found it very exciting.

Exactly. I was really hoping Spencer would get there first. I have a feeling Spencer would use it more effectively too. Not that we know how Stephen will use it, and he may use it effectively but I would have a greater confidence in Spencer

• Love 4

That TC was as brutal as I can ever recall. I wonder why some folks had layers of clothes on while Abi and Spencer had nothing? And speaking of Spencer, I know it is KILLING him to have lost that advantage to Stephen.

I was thrilled that Jeremy found that 2nd idol. Made up for the embarrassing debacle that was the Reward Challenge.

• Love 1

It seems like the obvious best use of it would be to save it to save yourself, so it's like an immunity idol, sort of.  But a little less powerful because to save yourself you'd have to actually know who is voting for you and by how much you're likely to be outvoted.  

If say Kelly Wig had it the night she was voted out, she'd have to know she was going, know at least one of her flippers (she said she figured Jeremy had) and still in her case it'd make more sense to keep it in case she was wrong because two votes wasn't enough to save herself.  It would've been 5-4-2 against her.

That TC was as brutal as I can ever recall. I wonder why some folks had layers of clothes on while Abi and Spencer had nothing? And speaking of Spencer, I know it is KILLING him to have lost that advantage to Stephen.

I was thrilled that Jeremy found that 2nd idol. Made up for the embarrassing debacle that was the Reward Challenge.

Honestly, with as much rain falling as there was, I think Abi and Spencer were smart not to add layers. That's more layers of water-logged clothing...and that would probably just make you colder. But I am no expert on this lol

Honestly, with as much rain falling as there was, I think Abi and Spencer were smart not to add layers. That's more layers of water-logged clothing...and that would probably just make you colder. But I am no expert on this lol

I agree that, depending on the temperature and the fabric in question, more clothes will make you colder.  And keep you colder longer!  Cotton being one of the worst probably.  I can't believe there's been no info come out about potential hypothermia or how that was averted (I'm guessing/hoping production stepped in?).  It wouldn't have to be very low temps for these folks to start to lapse into the danger zone pretty quickly with no "inside" to go to and probably no dry clothes.

• Love 1

I think Stephen wants to win the game of  course.  But he has a whole 'nother reason why he wants to win and so he has a secondary, or maybe even a primary goal and that is to protect his brand.  Isn't being a Survivor blogger, expert, social media someone his full time job?  He has to be desperate to protect that and so he can't be seen in another JT scenario, or missing big opportunities or making stupid moves.  Everyone else who loses goes home to their regular job and life.  Stephen screws up and his is gone.   And so of course changing the game, being the kingpin of evolution, voting blocs etc. is just food for his future as a Survivor expert.  He'll be hawking that forever like they were cheap concert tshirts.   To my mind having fodder for his future as a Survivor guru is even more important than winning.  There is only one winner.  Being able to point to yourself as the person who made a move, evolved the game, got an advantage will be useful forever. 

Re challenges all being good for Joe - in early seasons it was apparent that many challenges favored men.  Not so much a problem with mixed team challenges pre merge but after that the challenges need to be more gender neutral otherwise what's the point?

Wigglesworth as the boot - She hasn't been a challenge monster that I noticed so that's not it.  Her being well liked didn't win her her first season and that was her argument for winning in her Final TC speech so that's not it either.  I think she was expendable, not a threat.  No one other than maybe Joe was going to have to big a problem with it, now or later, ok.  But yea, why not Keith?

My dislike of Kimmi continues to deepen as well as decreasing respect for her as a player.

Go Abi.  I did wonder if she threw it at the last second to keep Joe in the game.  She knows he's going to need friends and if you don't feel like you are on the block why not do something that maybe you can use and keep a potential ally around.   I had a similar thought about Spencer but with far less confidence in the possibility.

Joe, I feel like in a season of all returnees he has been treated as "the" returnee from the start.  The biggest threat from the start (whether its true or not or everyone is pointing to him to keep fingers from pointing back at them).  Like Parvati in that season where she would have gone home instantlyif she hadn't stuck with Russell.  Once your in that corner its hard to get out of, the only way out of it is to dodge it at the beginning and Jeremy won that round of musical chairs. 

Jeremy...two idols....not one vote...his to lose.  I agree, a little boring.  Nothing against Jeremy, I think the only people I don't want to win is Kimmi and Stephen, but if Jeremy lost it would be because exciting stuff actually happened vs. editing creating tension when Jeremy is so likely to win.

Stephen has a regular full-time job. I don't think he gets money from the podcast, thought he might, and he writes one short blog a week during the season, which pays him a small amount I guess. He isn't making his living from Survivor.
  • Love 1

I'm more bugged by the Shakespeare gaffe than anything else.  Unforgivable (and NOT just because I played Lady MacBeth in eighth grade drama class - of COURSE it wasn't typecasting!!! why would you say that!!??!!)

Hey, at least it wasn't one of the three witches.  ;-)

• Love 1
That's a clever idea, but unfortunately I think Stephen was just playing Joe by agreeing to it. Otherwise, it doesn't make sense for Stephen to work with the Boss Witches to target Wigles. I'm not sure why Joe would think he could trust Stephen on that with no way for Stephen to prove his sincerity. (but who knows? Maybe Joe didn't trust Stephen. Maybe he was trying additional side things, too)
  • Love 1

Many mention that Joe is not playing and relying only on immunity wins. Maybe, maybe not. After all, who knew Kelly Wi was such a social butterfly? Not me, based on editing. So for all I know, Joe might be working his ass off waving numerous webs and we are not privvy to it. Not saying that this is or not the case for sure, just that editing this season seems seriously lopsided to me.

I think the editing has been down low on Joe, because he's been winning immunity challenges so far, TPTB probably doesn't feel they need to show the other things he does so long as he's safe. I mean, think about it - two people (Savage and Wiggles) already swore - during and after the show - that they would not write, and would not have written Joe's name down, even if it means losing. So for him to have two people 100% on his side, even to the point of sacrificing their own game, that says something on how he was able to win these two votes. It's just not shown, or not shown so much - we saw Savage saying he would not write his name down. Wiggles is saying it during her exit interviews.

I'm glad Kelley idoled out Savage because I currently hate him based on his post-show behavior, but I'm also sad that her idoling out of Savage never meant we got a clash between Savage and Jeremy over Joe/Stephen. I'm really curious what would have happened. Would Jeremy have sacrificed Stephen to Savage's preferences and targeted going to the end with Savage/Tasha/Joe? Or would Jeremy have split from Savage/Joe and tried to blindside one of them? Where would Tasha have gone? Who would Jeremy/Stephen/Spencer have picked up to try to blindside Joe if two or all of Ciera/Abi/Kelley were already gone? 

• Love 3

Savage was always going to defer to the group so Jeremy would've won since the group would've wanted Joe gone. Andrew would've just used some loophole like voting for someone else when he knew that Joe was going to avoid breaking his word.

Edited by Oscirus

OK so--

I'm trying to wrap my head around things.  Specifically Jeremy going along with this. 

But why would Jeremy go along with this?  How does it help him?  What's been so impressive about Jeremy's game so far is in fact his ability to say no, without making anyone upset or suspicious, even though it benefitted Jeremy more than others.

Yeah, I've been wondering about this.  Of course we know we don't see everything.  But my take on a possible scenario is a combination of 1) Jeremy playing Mr. Cool, not wanting to seem to disagree with his allies, not wanting to be seen to be leading any "big moves," not wanting to raise suspicions; 2) him feeling that Spencer and Stephen are his best shields right now, so trying to solidify things with them, even if it means alienating Tasha, etc., 3) both of those things plus the fact that he must have a new-found confidence about his ability to ride out the rough times, what with his two idols and all.  He may also be thinking about Stephen's advantage and wanting it to be deployed in his own favor (or at least not to his detriment).  Stephen's potential value in an alliance just went up big time with that advantage.

Just speculation of course.

• Love 6

Yeah, maybe, but as Probst said, the votes don't lie.  You can do all the scheming and 'maybe I'll flip' talking heads you want; it doesn't mean anything until you vote on it.  That's why I can't take seriously this idea that somehow this is a season of unbelievably high-level play, or a startling evolution in the game, or whatever.  TaKeo wanted to play crazy, but most of them are gone.  Bayon wants to play safe, boring, Pagongingly.  This vote was a change of pace, but just weird, not brilliant (as far as I can tell.)  If the "evolution" is the top of the alliance being who goes to the people on the outs, instead of the people on the bottom going to them to flip the game, well a) Tony did it first and b) it just kind of means that the people on the bottom are playing terribly, and the people on the top are the only ones playing hard.  (Possibly overplaying.)

Joe had a very good chance to get rid of a big threat to him last week, but voted with the group.  And the people who want him out want him out so badly that they're voting off a non-threat like Kelly just out of frustration that they can't get to Joe; if he loses immunity he's gone.  So whatever webs he might be weaving, he hasn't done anything with them.

Edited by KimberStormer
  • Love 5

Joe had a very good chance to get rid of a big threat to him last week, but voted with the group.  And the people who want him out want him out so badly that they're voting off a non-threat like Kelly just out of frustration that they can't get to Joe; if he loses immunity he's gone.  So whatever webs he might be weaving, he hasn't done anything with them.

Bingo. I think it's actually clear Joe has been at least trying to play the social game, but he hasn't done a damn thing with any of his efforts so he might as well have not even tried.

• Love 2

Ratgirl, you just beat me to it!  I was going to talk about that hilarious documentary as well.

Was it just me, or was Ciera looking really hot in the rain?

Ciera is hot, period.

What I thought was unbelievable is that when Probst asked about who was worried about the vote that Jeremy didn't raise his hand (or Kelly or Kimmi for that matter!), it's my view that saying yes is always the right answer unless you have an idol around your neck. To say no makes you look too confident- and if I was Jeremy and I knew they saw me as a threat I would lie and raise my damned hand.

I think the best play is actually to quickly look around with your peripheral vision and do what most people do.  You don't want to call attention to yourself as one of very few people raising their hand and putting the idea in people's minds that you should be a target next time.  But you don't want to be one of the few who do not, and get called out by Probst as being overconfident or maybe running the game (which can also make you a target).

I still think it is a difference of 2 votes. Say Stephen is voting for Joe. That doesn't change either way.

He then chooses Spencer. So Spencer's vote for Abi won't count. So Abi gets one less, but Joe will get one more vote. 

It's a difference of two votes, yes: but since you start with one vote, it's like you have three votes to use in that TC instead of one.  So you triple your voting power, or add two to it, depending on how you look at it.

• Love 2

Okay, I know it's just me, but I hope that Joe wins every immunity challenge. He is playing the game that is available to him-he works around camp, bonds during Yoga, has tried to create alliances, and is good at an array of challenges. I also love that by winning he totally frustrates Stephen (Mr. I don't want to go to the end with another J.T....). I also like that it keeps everyone else jumping around as they have to find targets other than JOe.

• Love 10

"Okay, I know it's just me, but I hope that Joe wins every immunity challenge."

It's not just you. Love Joe, love the attitude, love the hair too. I'm amused by Stephen's obsession with Joe and just hope it causes him to screw himself. With props to Abi for an amazing effort at the IC, I admit to loving watching Joe concentrate. Abi, as a woman, had the advantage there, but Joe still managed a win.

If Joe can continue to win ICs, I will be thrilled for him.

• Love 2

As an English teacher I would like to agree with you - but that damn hat!  Why was that in his bag to go to Cambodia at all?  Just pisses me off. (Irrationally, I know :)

I figured Savage swiped the hat from one of the crew.  It looks a little too twentysomething to be his.

I really want Wentworth to get bounced and soon. She irritates me, almost as much as Ciera.

It baffles me that they wouldn't get together and get rid of someone who just won an advantage. He's not immune, so why wouldn't you get rid of that threat right away?

Kelly was the most beautiful woman out there. She was so inoffensive and not annoying so I'm sad she's gone.

Shut up, Andrew. [/macro]

Go Joe!

Love Wentworth! She's awesome and I hope she goes all the way.

• Love 4

Ok, this is one weird thing I was thinking about when I was lying in bed unable to sleep. Both Abby and Joe picked up their right foot and stood on their left in the immunity challenge. So they are both lefties? Are lefty yogis better at balancing for some reason? I thought it was intriguing anyway.

Ok, this is one weird thing I was thinking about when I was lying in bed unable to sleep. Both Abby and Joe picked up their right foot and stood on their left in the immunity challenge. So they are both lefties? Are lefty yogis better at balancing for some reason? I thought it was intriguing anyway.

I decided to experiment to see what foot I would pick up. I'm a righty, but am left-side dominant and I picked up my right foot as well. It could be a case like that or one could be ambidextrous. Or they could both be lefties lol

Edited by Sarahsmile416

I'm a righty who would also immediately pick up my right foot.  I do exercise DVDs, and whenever we're supposed to start an exercise using a leg to step forward, raise, etc. I noticed that I always start with my right --- that way I can remember to go to my left later on when the instructor  goes to the opposing side.