Type keyword(s) to search

FX Picks Up A Sixth Season Of American Horror Story

• Start Topic

After Freakshow, I was surprised it had gotten picked up again. That season was terrible. I didn't even finish it, for goodness sake. However, this season is actually pretty good. The story actually makes sense, and while it's not always firing on all cylinders, it's not misfiring nearly so often. I just wonder what stories they have left to tell.

• Love 1
After Freakshow, I was surprised it had gotten picked up again. That season was terrible. I didn't even finish it, for goodness sake. However, this season is actually pretty good. The story actually makes sense, and while it's not always firing on all cylinders, it's not misfiring nearly so often. I just wonder what stories they have left to tell.

Freakshow so far actually had the highest ratings for the series so it being picked up again wasn't too much of a surprise. On average 12.64 million would watch. Coven is in second place.

S5 has been better though to me Coven is still the worse. For S6 as long as the right actors are in I will be back. According to Ryan clues for next season are already being hinted at in Hotel.

I feel like there are still loads of stories they can tell.

My favorites that I'd like to see?

AHS: Cult (set in the 1970s, there'd be so much to work with in terms of real life events.)

AHS: Ghost Town (set in the American Old West or maybe flashbacks to Old West with a 50s-the-old-west-cowboy-way of life is dying/dead. Maybe even a Donner Party kind of subplot.)

AHS: The Backlot (old school Hollywood scandals, William Desmond Taylor murder, Thomas Ince, Fatty Arbuckle, etc.)

AHS: Sleepaway Camp

• Love 3

I would like to see, if they can get Gaga to do another season, a Broadway theme, sort of like what someone said above about an old hollywood thing but on broadway. I wouldn't mind old hollywood either. I want them to stay away from sci too, though.

Honestly I have been over the Vampire thing now for a while. Vampires were always my favorite too, the Anne Rice books--heaven. Then Twilight, True Blood, etc etc I just got burned out on the whole thing.

All that said, I am enjoying this season and Gaga. I guess because of the way it's done...

Season 6 is not surprising to me, I'd love to see a Charlie Manson type thing. Or more of the 20's--old west, old Hollywood, it's all good. I just hope it's not werewolves or something ridiculous like that--and no sci fi!

Honestly I have been over the Vampire thing now for a while. Vampires were always my favorite too, the Anne Rice books--heaven. Then Twilight, True Blood, etc etc I just got burned out on the whole thing.

All that said, I am enjoying this season and Gaga. I guess because of the way it's done...

Season 6 is not surprising to me, I'd love to see a Charlie Manson type thing. Or more of the 20's--old west, old Hollywood, it's all good. I just hope it's not werewolves or something ridiculous like that--and no sci fi!

Definitely. It's almost a shame that they are mashing Vampires and serial killers into this one season, where serial killers could have been another season. But I suppose a cult situation would be different than simple serial killers. 

Definitely. It's almost a shame that they are mashing Vampires and serial killers into this one season, where serial killers could have been another season. But I suppose a cult situation would be different than simple serial killers. 

Technically we have serial killers in every season. There aren't any exceptions. 

AHS: Ghost Town (set in the American Old West or maybe flashbacks to Old West with a 50s-the-old-west-cowboy-way of life is dying/dead. Maybe even a Donner Party kind of subplot.)

As a fan of Deadlands (the P&P RPG), please, yes! So much potential for trashy (and not trashy) horror in that era! I'd watch the hell out of it!

• Love 1

If Lady Gaga signs up for season 6, I think a "jazz age" type story set in New York's Broadway is highly likely.

A cowboy/old West season might be too expensive for this show, given the types of sets and costumes required. I see this show going the easy route by dumping us with lots of glitter and glamor and no substance.

Edited by Mattipoo

If Gaga has to be in next season I like the idea of her, Chloe, Evan, and others doing the cult idea.

Lady Gaga as a head of a church (or maybe being married to one just sounds like fun.) Or maybe an Eternal Values type cult.

I can actually see most of the male leads on this show in the role of charismatic cult leader.

Chloe I can easily see in the role of a fanatic Krenwinkle type follower.

I still think a gruesome murder mystery would be fun. Like Midsommer Murder on crack. Small Town/island setting. Soap, secrets and bloody murder. I think a more mundane setting and "normal" people could rejuvenate the show for a season and make it scarier. Some characters to root for would be nice. Nothing's scary if everything is for shock and there are no characters to root for and who would actually die for real. And there are plenty of horrific things the writers could throw in that are somewhat grounded in reality but would still be American Horror Story more than, say, Harper's Island. He shouldn't build a season around whatever Gaga can or can't do, but she could be a mysterious small towner who sings some Blue Velvet tunes at the local bar, why not.

I think Ryan Murphy could do a really fun And Then There Were None type show, but it might not work with a regular cast of this size of most of them had to appear for most of the season. Few could be killed off before the last few episodes.

Edited by joelene

My dream setting is New England - it could have such a different look and attitude than previous seasons, and I think it would be a nice palette cleanser after the glam of Hotel and wtf-ery of Freak Show. A Maine fishing village could be spooky, or if Ryan Murphy has his heart set on something posh, go a little south to Newport for the Gilded Age.

I don't mind the flashbacks to other eras, but something much more streamlined could add suspense if everything was clearly connected from the beginning. If, for example, someone in the present is trying to solve an old family murder, we could watch the victim's storyline throughout the season, knowing he/she would die and trying to solve the murder before we see if happen. Having different decades share the same focus would be much more engaging than just using flashbacks to tell backstory - Murder House, IMO, did the best job of fleshing out many characters and backstories while still keeping focused on the main storyline, so we at least know Murphy is capable of it.

I wonder if the old West thing is likely I've heard this spec elsewhere also.

I've heard the Western rumors too. No idea if it's true, but if so, I vote for a fort. We could have diverse groups of people (military, traders, pioneers, etc) and a location that could be isolated and claustrophobic once everything inevitably goes to hell. And cannibalism is a given. (They should use Ravenous as source material.)

• Love 1

If Gaga has to be in next season I like the idea of her, Chloe, Evan, and others doing the cult idea.

Lady Gaga as a head of a church (or maybe being married to one just sounds like fun.) Or maybe an Eternal Values type cult.

I can actually see most of the male leads on this show in the role of charismatic cult leader.

Chloe I can easily see in the role of a fanatic Krenwinkle type follower.

I love your cult idea, but it needs to be anchored by a strong actor, and that's just not Gaga. I would love the cult leader to be a female, and I think Angela B would fit the bill. Gorgeous, charismatic, great actor. The only difficultly with a female cult leader, is that most cult leaders control the me. In their group by controlling who has sex with the women, and they usually are getting most of it - even with other men's wives.

I also love the idea that it be set in the '70s. No internet and Google to look up shady drifters.

Since they added vampires this year, it would be interesting if the next season somehow included werewolves. I'd love to see the show go to rural New England, like Maine or Vermont. Even a ghost hunting pair like Ed and Lorraine Warren would be cool, though maybe not super original. I just hope the rumors about Gaga returning are false, though. Do the viewers a favor and give the lead to someone who can actually act.

Edited by obxchick
  • Love 2

Since they added vampires this year, it would be interesting if the next season somehow included werewolves. I'd love to see the show go to rural New England, like Maine or Vermont. Even a ghost hunting pair like Ed and Lorraine Warren would be cool, though maybe not super original. I just hope the rumors about Gaga returning are false, though. Do the viewers a favor and give the lead to someone who can actually act.

I may be in the minority but I don't want to see werewolves or zombies, I've just had my fair share of that stuff with Twilight, and leave the zombies to the Walking Dead, right?

I'd still like to see a cult of some kind, or canabalism might be cool. Old west, old Hollywood, or just an abandoned town leaving viewers to find out where everyone went and why?

• Love 5

I may be in the minority but I don't want to see werewolves or zombies, I've just had my fair share of that stuff with Twilight, and leave the zombies to the Walking Dead, right?

I'd still like to see a cult of some kind, or canabalism might be cool. Old west, old Hollywood, or just an abandoned town leaving viewers to find out where everyone went and why?

(gasp) ROANOKE! That would connect to Murder House, too.

• Love 1

A cowboy/old West season might be too expensive for this show, given the types of sets and costumes required. I see this show going the easy route by dumping us with lots of glitter and glamor and no substance.

Doesn't the studio Fox have some of those old sets and shit?

They definitely need a better actress than Lady Gaga to "replace" Jessica Lange, so I started thinking of some good older actresses that have the name recognition to do so.

How about Susan Sarandon? Michelle Pfeiffer? Cher? Maybe Cybill Shepherd? Or Bette Midler? Any of these actresses would really lift the show out of mediocrity I think.

Edited by Mattipoo

Emma Roberts was suppose to try and come back for the last few episodes of Hotel but confirmed that won't be happening anymore. She mentioned being back for season 6 and wanting to work with Gaga. I don't know if this is wishful thinking on her part or she has confirmed her and Gaga for S6.

If they are both on next season with major roles then I might pass on the next season.

I like the suggestion of Michelle Pfeiffer as a kind of Lange replacement.

I like the idea of Sissy Spacek.  I'm surprised they haven't used her yet.  They could definitely have fun with her Carrie roots much like they did with Jamie Lee Curtis on Ryan's other show.

• Love 3

I hate to say this, but I think Gaga is Lange's replacement.  The Golden Globe nomination probably seals the deal. 

The only thing is that Gaga is a little young to be playing the youth obsessed character Ryan used to love to cast Lange in (he can't make her a non aging vampire every season...or can he?).

• Love 1

I really want to see an AHS take on Something Wicked This Way comes. 

I think Freakshow was probably too close to that concept for them to ever do a supernatural traveling carnival season. Also, the inevitable comparisons to both Something Wicked This Way Comes and Carnivàle would not be kind.

• Love 2

If Gaga ends up being Jessica's replacement I may opt out next season. Ryan M is pissing me off by not using Angela Bassett enough and I don't think I could stand another season of Gaga's horrible acting. I also think he is running out of ideas and steam. 

• Love 4

Gaga reportedly wanted to jump shows to be on season 2 of Scream Queens. I'm not sure she'd have time to do both shows, and I don't think anyone would want that much of her.

I'd sure like to see Taissa Farmiga come back... I always thought she did well in her two seasons.

Have there been any "clues" about what the next season will be? Doesn't Ryan Murphy usually release clues to the next season during the first episodes of the preceding season?

For season 6, maybe they can switch it up and continue the story from one of the previous seasons? Maybe a Murder House part 2? That will be pretty interesting and a good way to wrap up everything if it will be the last season.

I think Gaga would work a lot better on Screem Queens. I don't think her acting is bad she just lacks emotional range and Scream Queens requires less range.

As for Season 6 I have no idea what topic they would pick. I could see a demon child thing. The end of Murder House ended A bit open ended so I can see a story about Damien and his cult being a possibility.

• Love 1

Gaga would do well on Scream Queens, which is all style and no substance...wait...just like Hotel!

Not sure what I'd like season 6 to be about but I'd like Lily Rabe to come back, and Tassia Farmiga. I'd like Gaga to go away, or at least not be a lead and an at least semi-cohesive storyline.

• Love 3

If Gaga does return, I'd like to see her role be something other than "plastic barbie-doll beauty strikes moody, photogenic poses" which is, essentially, no reach at all for Gaga.  It's already her schtick.

Give her a role where she has to play something entirely different than what already makes her famous.  (Even Madonna uses "Vogue looks" as one part of her portfolio.  As far as I can tell, Gaga has "Vogue looks" and singing in her quiver and that's it.)

I thought of this right away and think it's a great idea. You can have ghosts, "the hills have eyes" cannibals, werewolves (none of those yet!), wendigos, all sorts of stuff. And you could toggle between the past when the town was up and running and the present.

However, Lady Gaga needs to get while the getting's good. She was perfectly adequate as the living statue Countess, but I can't fathom her in a role that doesn't involve fifteen foot ponytails and live horses in Studio 54. 

• Love 2
And you could toggle between the past when the town was up and running and the present.

That I would love. The two towns transposed over each other. Not exactly time travel but time leakage. Plus, weren't there rumors at one point about an old west themed season? Or am I making shit up? I do that sometimes. haha

• Love 2

I thought of this right away and think it's a great idea. You can have ghosts, "the hills have eyes" cannibals, werewolves (none of those yet!), wendigos, all sorts of stuff. And you could toggle between the past when the town was up and running and the present.

However, Lady Gaga needs to get while the getting's good. She was perfectly adequate as the living statue Countess, but I can't fathom her in a role that doesn't involve fifteen foot ponytails and live horses in Studio 54. 

If they do a Western thing and Gaga has to be a part of it then I guess she'd make a good madam at a brothel.

I'd like a period setting but if they make it modern then I'd like the flashbacks to cover multiple periods. Maybe there could be a ranch that's near a town and we can see how they both change over a period of 150 years or so. It can start with a family who have survived some sort of Donner party like conditions to finally build a home only they're mostly crazed and never the same from the journey that brought them there. That can be the 1800s storyline and maybe descendants of the family are still living in the place in the present day. Have them be this mad family like in that horror movie American Gothic. Throw in some standard horror fare where you have these college kids roll through to see the ghost town and then they encounter the family. Since ghosts are characters in almost every season, have an assortment of ghosts in the ghost town where we'll also slowly learn their backstories. 

• Love 1

Whatever they do, please no more deformed people turned horrific or frankencreatures (Infantata, attic guy from Season 1, things in the woods, Gaga's baby, etc.). I don't like making horror villains out of deformed people.

I did like Franken Kyle in Coven, but mainly because he wasn't born deformed and bc of Evan Peter's excellent portrayal of a confused person coping with figuring out what he's been turned into. How awful to be so confused, then realize you had your friends body parts attached to you.

• Love 1