Type keyword(s) to search

FX Picks Up A Sixth Season Of American Horror Story

• Start Topic

I have a feeling he's gonna be adult version of murder house baby son of Tate and Vivien....or man raising it.  I think Evan Peters is such a terrific actor and I'm so loving Denis O Hare's performances and impressed by Finn Witrock. I think all three deserve solid gold Emmys. They are all electric to watch. 

• Love 2

Well, they're certainly very effective at building the suspense with the teaser photos and videos.  These teasers -- individually and all together -- are all fantastic.  (I just noticed that more of them had been put up on the American Horror Story Facebook page since the last time I looked there a couple of weeks ago.)  I think this is the best job they've done with the teaser promos and trailers, out of all the seasons.

Unfortunately, I think that the actual season itself is going to end up being a jumbled concoction of too many things happening to too many people, and viewers trying to keep up with it all.  There may be a singular overall "theme" just to give the season a full name/title, but there will probably be 10 different stories going on and all kinds of random elements thrown in to confuse and frustrate everyone.  

• Love 3
  On March 23, 2016 at 6:43 PM, GreenEggsAndPam said:

As a huge fan I just feel like the show is lacking something since Jessica Lange's departure. Love the show overall tho!

I am the opposite. I am glad she is gone. She was good in the first two but then the show became all about Jessica Lange instead of the ensemble show it should be. For better or worse Hotel got back to basics and became an ensemble show again not focusing too much or too long on one character or actor.

agreed

I saw another one with a woman at a campsite being abducted by a UFO. Which reminded me of wanting to see the show bring back Kit from season 2 in some way. Last seen in season 2: dying from cancer ..then *whoosh* he was gone. Or maybe the show could update us on his half alien kids.

But the creepiest teaser for me is the one with the shadow family and their glowing eyes. 

The one from today, with the scary straw people and the woman -- is that a new one?  I don't remember seeing the straw people in the previous teasers. 

Again, great job on the promos -- each one is creepy and interesting in its own way.  I hope the actual season lives up to these teasers, but I have my doubts.

• Love 1

Well, I might have to rewatch Season 1 if this new season ties back to it somehow. I couldn't even finish Hotel so we'll see how this one stacks up. A story of the lost Roanoke colony might be interesting, I've always been fascinated by that story

I love this show to death.  Murder House and Asylum were the best.  I liked Coven but Freak Show was awful.  Hotel got back to basics and what the show is good at; crazy ass fun.  I am hoping the show learns from its mistakes with Coven and Freak Show because when this show fires on all cylinders it is a fun time. 

• Love 2

Especially with this new teaser, I'm getting a strong final season vibe. Personally, I think the show needs to go, so it might just be wishful thinking. All the talk of tying all of the seasons together and how things are coming full circle just makes me think they're going to end the show this year. 

• Love 1

Since the "scary straw people" teaser was posted earlier today, I noticed they posted another teaser with crop circles?!  There is no real cohesive theme that can tie all of these individual images together, other than "American Horror Story:  Buncha Creepy Stuff for Ya."

Edited to add:  For some reason I am just now seeing in comments on Facebook that Ryan Murphy supposedly said that they are throwing out a lot of teaser promos that are intentionally misleading, and that are not relevant to Season 6's theme.  I didn't catch where he revealed this, but it makes sense -- because the teasers are all over the place.  Supposedly Ryan said that only some of the teasers are the real deal and have to do with the S6 theme, but the others are basically just throwing the viewers off track to keep them guessing.

So... I am thinking that the teaser with the woman being grabbed by the green monster is bogus.  I'm thinking that the Nosferatu/shadow on the staircase teaser is bogus.  I'm thinking that the demon baby teaser is bogus (though I wish it weren't).  I'm thinking that the staples-in-the-head teaser is bogus.  The hands grabbing at the person running down the stairs teaser is probably bogus too.

Edited by Sherry67
  • Love 3

Honestly, I can't be bothered with all this shit.  I like the show -- loved Murder House (Tate and that performance was amazing), Asylum, Freakshow, and Hotel.  

But, this teaser crap is tedious.  Get to September 14, already.  

(To be fair, even as a kid, I didn't like teasing.  It annoys me and gives me more of a desire to leave and find something more satisfying to do that "whetting my appetite."  Ugh.  Hate it.)

• Love 5
52 minutes ago, Captanne said:

AMEN! Especially if half of them are misleading. That's freaking annoying and kind of makes me less interested in watching the show when it does come on.

I don't mind "sneak peek" kind of teasers, that are relevant but I hate these practical joke style teasers meant to confuse the audience. Talk about having no faith in what you're doing. If you have to trick people to generate buzz for your show it can't be all that good.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Captanne said:

Honestly, I can't be bothered with all this shit.  I like the show -- loved Murder House (Tate and that performance was amazing), Asylum, Freakshow, and Hotel.  

(To be fair, even as a kid, I didn't like teasing.  It annoys me and gives me more of a desire to leave and find something more satisfying to do that "whetting my appetite."  Ugh.  Hate it.)

I get that way, too. I like it at first, but then I leave the guessing to everyone else. I hadn't realized that most of these were fake, until a few nights ago, when I saw something on the facebook page. 

Edited by Anela
  • Love 2

To be fair, with this show, I take the teasers with a grain of salt. I remember the coven teasers being way cooler than the actual season was. And I'm not a fan of the fact that some of these teasers are misleading and that even Ryan had said this. That makes me mad. I really don't enjoy guessing games and seriously I'm sure the coolest and scariest teasers will have nothing to do with the season-the baby demon lullaby teaser is scary as anything and I'm now thinking it will have zero to do with this season. 

Eta: before these teasers begin I remember hearing a rumor that the season 6 was going to be a woods theme but then the teasers started. Until I read here I didn't think anything was going to be misleading but now that I hear this, I'm with everyone else, I don't think it's a genius idea to make fake teasers and fake promo pictures. What's the point of that? 

Edited by WhosThatGirl

I had given up guessing what the season was going to be about -- partly because I figured it would be about 10 or 15 different things anyway -- but I enjoyed seeing each teaser clip because each one was creepy in its own way, and effective (in my opinion) at building some sort of anticipation.   They do have to build anticipation for the season in some way -- though a lot of people may not even realize that the show is returning in September, because they are so used to AHS airing in October -- so I thought they were doing a good job of it.

But after reading on Facebook that Ryan Murphy supposedly acknowledged that some of these teasers are misleading and have nothing to do with the season (is this in print anywhere?  Did he say it in an interview?), I felt like all of the appreciation I had for each teaser promo just disappeared.  Now it's sort of like a waste of time to watch the cool teasers if they aren't even relevant to anything.

I think that if this stunt had not taken place in the same year when The Walking Dead pulled a big ol' manipulative stunt on viewers in its season finale, wanting us to sit around and play guessing games all summer, I might appreciate the AHS fake-out teasers a lot more.  On the heels of TWD's Lucille fiasco, however, I am not in the mood to be manipulated and jerked around by another show.

Edited by Sherry67
  • Love 3
1 minute ago, Sherry67 said:

But after reading on Facebook that Ryan Murphy supposedly acknowledged that some of these teasers are misleading and have nothing to do with the season (is this in print anywhere?  Did he say it in an interview?), I felt like all of the appreciation I had for each teaser promos just disappeared.  Now it's sort of like a waste of time to watch the cool teasers if they aren't even relevant to anything.

Yeah, this. I've seen a couple that got me all excited. With my luck, they are the fake ones so now I have to view each one with zero expectation that the show will even remotely have anything as cool in it. Nice going Murphy

• Love 4
3 hours ago, Mabinogia said:

Yeah, this. I've seen a couple that got me all excited. With my luck, they are the fake ones so now I have to view each one with zero expectation that the show will even remotely have anything as cool in it. Nice going Murphy

This is where I am.

Honestly, I'm convinced that Ryan Murphy is the type of person who could fuck up a cup of coffee, but I just can't quit him. I'll be a watcher of three of his shows once they start airing that Bette Davis/Joan Crawford one. 

But yeah, once I read that there were fake promos I didn't want to watch them because I was sure the ones that I'd end up liking wouldn't be good so I'd be psyching myself up for something that ends up not even happening. I'm curious who's taking credit for this lame idea. 

• Love 2

Everything everyone also is posting is how i am, but I'm also in the RM train. He did well with the OJ show but maybe because it wasn't his original idea and he couldn't stray from the book and the reality of it all much. And I will always have a special spot today glee, mostly the first half of season 1. I think he gets good ideas but he tends to lose focus and his attention wavers and then even he believes the hype. 

• Love 3

I like the ones that look like they're set around a farm house, and the hands coming out of the stairs. The thing on the train tracks... as long as it isn't that weird thing from the Hotel series. 

• Love 2

IMHO nip/tuck was better than AHS. It had boisterous humor but had a very clear thread of nihilism throughout the entire series. I also like it didn't have a happy ending or wrap up with a bow.

very few shows are unafraid to embrace nihilism with honesty about their intentions and that's brave or valuable to some viewers. 

Edited by Petunia13

I wish they'd just say what it is, since they're two weeks away. I wonder if they're just hoping this will get a lot of people watching the first episode. I'll probably record it. 

• Love 1

So since we are 2 weeks out now, my on screen guide lists the show as "American Horror Story: The Mist-Chapter 1". There is no episode description though.

My theory for a while has been classic Hollywood horror movies.  I can't decide if this supports that, or disproves it. Or maybe it will change in the next few weeks.

• Love 1

I am FOR sure going to be watching and am totally intrigued. I hope you all watch too so we can snark and share insights. I am going to be staying at my friends house again (alone) and its has a big movie theater and screen inside. I liked and believed my theory of the theme but give some props to @ajsnaves for your theory which seems to make some sense. 

Now I'm thinking that it has more to do with the Stephen King monster book and movie about monsters that arrive and put the town in a cloud of most. The teaser with the monster crawling on the rails kind of represents the creatures. I kind of hope it's not that simple and that even the title is misleading.

58 minutes ago, Petunia13 said:

I am FOR sure going to be watching and am totally intrigued. I hope you all watch too so we can snark and share insights. I am going to be staying at my friends house again (alone) and its has a big movie theater and screen inside. I liked and believed my theory of the theme but give some props to @ajsnaves for your theory which seems to make some sense. 

I might. I think I've been spoiled by binge-watching, and being able to skip adverts. I hardly ever watch anything as it's airing (I used to be right there to watch LOST, and other things). 

• Love 1

I saw someone mention "The Mist" in the Facebook comments last week, but I didn't put too much stock in it at that point in time.  Now it seems more credible.  If that's what it is, it already sounds lackluster to me.

Today they put up a new (inevitably misleading) photo on the Facebook page, with a creepy doll.   I love creepy doll stories.  I could watch a whole season about creepy dolls and wax figures running wild and chasing after people.  I have loved creepy dolls coming to life (onscreen only!) ever since Talky Tina on The Twilight Zone.  And that hideous beast of a murderous doll on the other Rod Serling show, Night Gallery, was horrifying in its simplicity.  I also loved the Zuni doll chasing after Karen Black in the original Trilogy of Terror.

Sadly, the new season will probably have nothing to do with creepy dolls (unless they are emerging from The Mist).  AHS is continuing to yank our chains and make us think the season is everything but The Mist.

Edited by Sherry67
  • Love 4

A very smart girl named Courtney Asiann Coles strung together all of the captions from the photos and videos, added some connecting words (in brackets) and came up with this (I am copying and pasting it directly from her post on Facebook, and putting it in italics and quotes):

'So I've been collecting the captions from each picture and video posted on the fb wall in order. Here it is so far I've added some words in [...] to connect each caption together. Think it's a hint?

~~~It's time to face your fear, It's happening Step by step Recovery, Raising hell.
We are everywhere Creeping, creeping Don't close your eyes.
Feel something? Behind you...Run.Listen.[now you're]Hooked.
Rise Monster [and] meet [the] girl, March.
What's cooking? [well] Don't look up. [its] Murder, madness, magic, misfits, mayhem and mystery.
Open wide, Remember to breathe and Wrap yourself tight.
We see you [from] A different perspective [so] Teach us We are waiting [in a state of] Zen [and] It leaves a mark
You can't run from us, One by one We are under your skin While you sleep...~~~

( each capital letter is the start of a new caption from a picture or video, I've left them all in order only adding words in [...] to connect them if they don't already fit.

* if you re-post please tag me I made this... Don't take it as your own (: thanks*) "

Another very smart girl named Natasha Whitaker established this (copied and pasted directly from Facebook):

"Murder- Murder house
Madness- Asylum
Magic- coven
misfits- freak show
Mayhem and Mystery- Hotel"

(Someone else later pointed out that the 'Mystery" part of it is the upcoming season, but you get the point...)

This is a direct link to the post on which they each commented -- https://www.facebook.com/americanhorrorstory/videos/1152020121500636/

Thoughts?

I just think they're trying too hard to build intrigue. (The showrunners and network, I mean.) It's like how the Walking Dead wants us to be obsessing over who Negan killed, but most of the diehard fans are just annoyed by the cliffhanger. I just find myself annoyed with AHS for trying sooo hard to be interesting.

• Love 2

It can't be based of the Stephen King story, right? Spike TV is making their own Mist series and I assume they own the rights. It seems odd to me that FX would pick that fight, naming the season something similar to the other series. 

12 hours ago, ClareWalks said:

I just think they're trying too hard to build intrigue. (The showrunners and network, I mean.) It's like how the Walking Dead wants us to be obsessing over who Negan killed, but most of the diehard fans are just annoyed by the cliffhanger. I just find myself annoyed with AHS for trying sooo hard to be interesting.

It is annoying. And counterproductive, I think. This close to the premiere, most people I know are usually debating who will play what, what their hopes are for the story, even picking apart the teasers even though they aren't usually very spoilery. It gets us excited for the show. This year, most of us are just kind of shrugging. I'll still watch. Live, even, when my schedule allows. But I'm less enthused than usual.

• Love 3
11 hours ago, loki567 said:

It can't be based of the Stephen King story, right? Spike TV is making their own Mist series and I assume they own the rights. It seems odd to me that FX would pick that fight, naming the season something similar to the other series. 

I would suspect Carpenter's The Fog if anything.

3 hours ago, Petunia13 said:

I personally find as a theme The Fog or The Mist stupid. However, I did like the Caroline B Cooney  book The Fog and the two following books in the trilogy. 

Does anyone know who Gaga is playing. 

I think her character's name might be Arabella, but I don't know exactly who or what she is.  Someone's comment on Facebook (he also showed "The Mist" as the title listed in a program guide) indicated that it appears that Gaga, Kathy Bates and Sarah Paulson are all related somehow (supposedly their characters all have the same last name).  I don't recall what Sarah's and Kathy's characters' names are, but Gaga's Arabella stood out because it was less common.

Edited to add: Here is an article with the supposed character list -- http://hellogiggles.com/american-horror-story-leaked-call-sheet/

Edited by Sherry67

I seem to be in the minority but the mystery surrounding season 6 is actually working for me. It doesn't make me think that it will be great or anything, but it is making me excited for the season more than last year with all the talk about drill dildo monsters and all the crazy things that would happen and aren't we so cool and freaky with all this shit? And while I have little faith it will be great it is making me hope, just a little bit, that they actually have a writer's room this season coming up with a more or less cohesive narrative and characterisation and not just throwing a bunch of crazy stuff at us that they can hype until the hype and scenes have no meaning anymore.

• Love 2

Now that I've seen (and continue to see) all of these crazy and misleading videos and photos (most of which seem to be tips of the hat to familiar horror stories), what I wish they were doing was an anthology sort of season -- with each episode being devoted to a totally different story and different characters.  One episode could be about the creepy doll.  One episode could be about scary straw people stomping through the cornfields.  One episode could be about bugs or whatever.  One episode could be about a possessed demon child.  One episode could be about an alien invasion.  One episode could be about a killer cult.  One episode could be about the Mist.   Lots of possibilities, based on all of the teasers we've seen.

But, since most of the teasers we've seen are bogus and just meant to mislead us, what we will end up with is a whole season about the stupid Mist... which sounds very anticlimactic.  Oh, of course, they'll throw in tons of gore for shock value so that we know that the Mist is very, very bad, but will it actually be a good, scary story?

• Love 1

Like I did with Hotel, I'll give this season an episode or two before I decide whether to continue with it (I bailed early on Hotel, because I hated it from the start). I will say I'm happy to see Jamie Brewer coming back this season, though! At least that's one bright spot I can look forward to.

• Love 1