Type keyword(s) to search

Janelle Brown: Smarter Than Your Average Brown (Maybe)

• Start Topic

1 minute ago, Sandy W said:

We just MAY have dramatized this in our own minds.  I was sure the horses were galloping (not trotting) and the tails were flying straight back.  

Could she possibly had two and left this one?

I think you are right. There has to be two sets of horses, and the other one is the one that really has the butts that appear to be aflame. 

It's possible I'm crazy, or you're crazy, or even 3 of us are crazy, but we can't ALL be crazy. 🤣

• LOL 9
  • Love 1
58 minutes ago, Sasha888 said:

I think you are right. There has to be two sets of horses, and the other one is the one that really has the butts that appear to be aflame. 

It's possible I'm crazy, or you're crazy, or even 3 of us are crazy, but we can't ALL be crazy. 🤣

We are not crazy ! Yay.

• LOL 4
  • Love 7
1 hour ago, Sandy W said:

When Janelle finally had a home to call her own, she decided to decorate in a Western theme.  Her main feature was a metal sculpture over the fireplace of horses in full gallop, their tails flying straight back, giving the appearance of flames.  I can't remember which one of our clever commenters first noticed this and called it to our attention.  For some reason, this piece of "art" remained with the house when Janelle put it on the market for sale.

Oh lord I know exactly what you are talking about!  Horrible “art!”

• Love 6

She posted this on IG and most of the comments were slobbering over Janelle, telling her how good she looks, that she's everyone's fave wife, etc.  One brave poster asked about Christine and promptly got her a$$ handed to her by Janelle's sycophants, but it does beg the question - if Kody posted about Christine leaving, why wouldn't any of the other wives do the same?  The fact that they're ignoring it on social media is weird to me...mind you, I don't believe 95% of anything they post, but the fact that Meri and Janelle are ignoring this seems a bit strange to me.

• Love 16
28 minutes ago, laurakaye said:

The fact that they're ignoring it on social media is weird to me...mind you, I don't believe 95% of anything they post, but the fact that Meri and Janelle are ignoring this seems a bit strange to me.

Maybe they want it to be a "surprise" when Christine's announcement comes in the last 2 minutes of the last episode of the new season thus hooking us into salivating for yet another season.

Fail.  Everyone already knows it, morons.

• LOL 15
  • Love 3
4 hours ago, laurakaye said:

She posted this on IG and most of the comments were slobbering over Janelle, telling her how good she looks, that she's everyone's fave wife, etc.  One brave poster asked about Christine and promptly got her a$$ handed to her by Janelle's sycophants, but it does beg the question - if Kody posted about Christine leaving, why wouldn't any of the other wives do the same?  The fact that they're ignoring it on social media is weird to me...mind you, I don't believe 95% of anything they post, but the fact that Meri and Janelle are ignoring this seems a bit strange to me.

2 hours ago, lookeyloo said:

Maybe after they get mileage out of Christine "leaving" they want more mileage out of "Christine changed her mind"

Hmmm, at first glance I agree with Laurakaye, Meri and Jenelle should at least acknowledge Christine leaving, even with just a simple statement. But then considering Lookey's post, maybe that's exactly why they've said nothing - because they're always fudging the timeline and the sentiment of Christine's post may have changed by now.

Maybe Christine initially left Kody, but is now back with him and the family, however will remain in Utah.

Obviously all speculation. I hope something close to the truth unfolds this season and I hope it is that Christine left.

• Useful 4
46 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

Hmmm, at first glance I agree with Laurakaye, Meri and Jenelle should at least acknowledge Christine leaving, even with just a simple statement. But then considering Lookey's post, maybe that's exactly why they've said nothing - because they're always fudging the timeline and the sentiment of Christine's post may have changed by now.

Maybe Christine initially left Kody, but is now back with him and the family, however will remain in Utah.

Obviously all speculation. I hope something close to the truth unfolds this season and I hope it is that Christine left.

I have almost zero respect for anyone on this show and have always thought they had few morals and only a passing acquaintance with the truth, and I certainly understand why we are speculating that there might be more going on here.

However, I have to stick up for these two nitwits slightly...Kody and Christine both made very definite, very public announcements about their separation.

While I wouldn't put it past them to lie to all of us, especially if it made them a buck, I really don't think they'd jerk Truely around like that. 

I am slightly worried she will go back to him at some point, but I think as of the other day when they made the announcement, they're serious about not being together anymore. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 18
1 hour ago, Sasha888 said:

I have almost zero respect for anyone on this show and have always thought they had few morals and only a passing acquaintance with the truth, and I certainly understand why we are speculating that there might be more going on here.

However, I have to stick up for these two nitwits slightly...Kody and Christine both made very definite, very public announcements about their separation.

While I wouldn't put it past them to lie to all of us, especially if it made them a buck, I really don't think they'd jerk Truely around like that. 

I am slightly worried she will go back to him at some point, but I think as of the other day when they made the announcement, they're serious about not being together anymore. 

Good point. But we don't know what Truely knows. This family has moved here, there, and everywhere, so Truely may think they just live in Utah (near many of her siblings and extended family), while the others are in AZ - for now. 

• Love 10
1 minute ago, GeeGolly said:

Good point. But we don't know what Truely knows.

That is also a good point! And a scary thought...would they fudge a bit on what they are telling this poor kid?

They've not shown any regard for their children's welfare in the past...uprooting them for a fake "run away from the horrible police who want to put us in jail" exodus from Lehi to Vegas...then doing it all again a few years later to drag everyone to Flagstaff citing a bunch of bull crap reasons.

Not sure why I give any of them any credit, ever.

I could get more into this, but we're in Janelle's thread here and I think this originally started with all of us discussing why Janelle and Meri haven't even acknowledged Christine's leaving, so I'll try to get back to that.

I too, find it extremely odd that neither Janelle or Meri has at the very least put out some SM statement saying something like "While I'm saddened that Christine has left, I wish her the best". Christine and Kody have put out rather official sounding statements, why wouldn't J & M? (I guess I'm leaving Robyn out because she rarely does any social media.)

Janelle posting about her trip to Disney with Christine, and now just moving on and posting about dinner with her sons, with not a peep about what should be a fairly earth shattering event, is so odd...but it's a very Janelle kind of thing to do.

These people love to sweep things under the rug and ignore the obvious. Like going to therapist Nutty Nancy for years, trying to figure out why you're not happy, when the obvious answer is that polygamy is inherently abusive to women and you're probably not going to be happy when your husband is allowed to keep boffing new, younger women until the end of time, DUH!!! 🙄

• Love 8

The other wives likely can’t say anything because of their contract with TLC. Maybe TLC only wanted Christine and Kody’s statements to drive interest in the season. You don’t want the other wives to give anything away. For all we know they are fine with the the “divorce” now but were livid when it was actually happening. 

Edited by MakingBacon
  • Useful 9
14 hours ago, laurakaye said:

but the fact that Meri and Janelle are ignoring this seems a bit strange to me.

Perhaps their mothers (RIP) taught them "If you don't have anything nice to say, say nothing at all"

• LOL 9
5 hours ago, deirdra said:

Perhaps their mothers (RIP) taught them "If you don't have anything nice to say, say nothing at all"

if Bonny tried to teach this to Meri, I’d have to say she failed miserably…. 

• LOL 14
  • Love 3
16 hours ago, Sasha888 said:

I too, find it extremely odd that neither Janelle or Meri has at the very least put out some SM statement saying something like "While I'm saddened that Christine has left, I wish her the best". Christine and Kody have put out rather official sounding statements, why wouldn't J & M? (I guess I'm leaving Robyn out because she rarely does any social media.)

Janelle posting about her trip to Disney with Christine, and now just moving on and posting about dinner with her sons, with not a peep about what should be a fairly earth shattering event, is so odd...but it's a very Janelle kind of thing to do.

My thoughts on it are that they’ve remained silent because there isn’t a positive way to spin this. Their message about how great plural marriage is has shit the bed. 

Their silence is telling to me—it means they’re so affected, they think not talking about it will make the situation seem better somehow. They may well be angry with Christine for jeopardizing the next filming season, if there is one. 

Edited by TurtlePower
  • Useful 3
  • Love 6

I think the show lost the narrative of plural life being great, a couple seasons ago. Other than Robyn spouting plural wife bullshit here and there, I think the last time the show showed 'polygamy bliss' was when they had the family tree commitment ceremony thing.

In recent seasons its been about Meri feeling like an outcast, fighting over whether to move or not, moving and how Kody unfairly divides his time. Nothing pretty about any of that.

Janelle and Meri could put out statements as simple as, please allow us some privacy as our family processes recent changes, and know we are committed to working on what is best for everyone involved.

• Love 15
31 minutes ago, Jeanne222 said:

The Browns split up when they left Vegas and moved to Flagstaff!

None of them are living a plural life.

These 'Marriages' were only for show on the show!I

Kody is married legally to Robin and that's his family!

Yes, Robyn has definitely won the battles so far and may well be winning the war.

In the long run I don’t think Janelle is much of a threat to Robyn, however, as she seems content with her place in all this. It’s Meri who will be the encrusted barnacle, difficult to get out. If either of them follow Christine’s lead anytime soon, I’ll be surprised—Janelle is a lump and Meri is all talk, no walk. 

• Love 19
11 hours ago, deirdra said:

Thanks for proving that we didn't imagine the ass-fire!

yep,  in their book it is mentioned---I think by Meri---that she and Janelle clashed over decor and also dish washing/ kitchen cleaning.

34 minutes ago, Jeanne222 said:

Kody is married legally to Robin and that's his family!

pretty good summary of the situation.

• Useful 1
  • Love 7
48 minutes ago, TurtlePower said:

In the long run I don’t think Janelle is much of a threat to Robyn, however, as she seems content with her place in all this. It’s Meri who will be the encrusted barnacle, difficult to get out. If either of them follow Christine’s lead anytime soon, I’ll be surprised—Janelle is a lump and Meri is all talk, no walk. 

Having read the book, I think Bonnie's influence is a significant contributor to Meri's stubbornness to let go of the polyg principle.

• Useful 6
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, Jeanne222 said:

The Browns split up when they left Vegas and moved to Flagstaff!

The Browns splitup when they left Lehi and moved to Las Vegas.  Separate homes, separate lives.

Edited by Cetacean
  • Love 21

I am still trying to figure out why Janelle lived in the RV all summer, and then acted like she found a place to hunker down in the winter. She is making it seem as though she brought the 5th wheel, but with what money? The one she lived in has to be at least 80K minimum and it looked brand new. I highly doubt when Kody took a home equity loan that 1/2 that went to Janelle. If she owned it why pay another 150 a month for storage, she could have had it winterized and parked it on Kody's property. Short term housing ? Where are the dogs? Its hard enough to find a landlord that will allow 1 dog, but 3?

Something in the plyg pond smells fishy and this time it aint Kody  

• Useful 2
  • Love 22

IIRC, profits from the sale of a home are taxed if the seller does not buy a new home. I believe everyone is exempt from paying these taxes once in a lifetime. I'm not sure if an RV counts as a home purchase, but if it does, buying might have made sense to avoid paying taxes.

• Useful 3
31 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

IIRC, profits from the sale of a home are taxed if the seller does not buy a new home. I believe everyone is exempt from paying these taxes once in a lifetime. I'm not sure if an RV counts as a home purchase, but if it does, buying might have made sense to avoid paying taxes.

I think any profit she had from the sale of her LV house is long gone. I believe there is a tax credit that you can claim if you are over 55 and sell a house, you don't pay taxes on that sale, and yes only once you can claim it. ( At least when my parents sold their home it applied but that was over 20 years ago, so not sure if that has changed)

• Love 6
42 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

I'm not sure if an RV counts as a home purchase, but if it does, buying might have made sense to avoid paying taxes

According to the IRS site, it depends on the local ordinances.  That might fly in rural areas but I can't see downtown Beverly Hills agreeing to that.

• Useful 3
  • Love 5
5 hours ago, TurtlePower said:

My thoughts on it are that they’ve remained silent because there isn’t a positive way to spin this. Their message about how great plural marriage is has shit the bed. 

5 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

Janelle and Meri could put out statements as simple as, please allow us some privacy as our family processes recent changes, and know we are committed to working on what is best for everyone involved.

Agree. I don't think there's such an airtight NDA with TLC that they can't say anything. It's possible they've been warned not to blab details (either by Kody, or TLC, or whatever) but putting out a short statement like @GeeGolly wrote, or one like I mentioned in an earlier post ("While we are saddened by Christine's choice to leave, we wish her the best.") wouldn't be the same thing as telling details. I don't believe they are that throttled.

So then, they must be remaining silent for other reasons, and what @TurtlePower suggests is right in line with their usual thinking...if they can't put a positive spin on it, they'll be silent and still and just hope the whole thing goes away.

It seems like a really bizarre way to handle things to me, but "Let's sweep this under the rug and hope no one notices" would be right up their alley.

• Love 7
3 hours ago, Mahamid Frauded Me said:

I am still trying to figure out why Janelle lived in the RV all summer, and then acted like she found a place to hunker down in the winter. She is making it seem as though she brought the 5th wheel, but with what money? The one she lived in has to be at least 80K minimum and it looked brand new. I highly doubt when Kody took a home equity loan that 1/2 that went to Janelle.

The RV is probably financed like most of the stuff they “own”. I agree with most that any profit she made from the LV house, is long gone for many reasons previously discussed. How they always manage to qualify for huge loans remains a mystery.

One of my guesses is that they somehow use both Coyote Pass and Robyn’s mansion as collateral. (Robyn’s mansion for Robyn’s stuff only of course) I don’t know the details but there are constructions that make use of the profit on your property you made on paper… (e.g you bought something for 400k which is now worth 600k. You haven’t sold it, but on paper you’re worth 200k which can sometimes be used as collateral)

• Useful 4
  • Love 3
5 hours ago, TurtlePower said:

Yes, Robyn has definitely won the battles so far and may well be winning the war.

Though I think that she may now realize that what's left after the battles are just the spoils.

• LOL 14
7 minutes ago, LilyD said:

The RV is probably financed like most of the stuff they “own”.

Lol, love the "own" in quotes! So true.

I don't know as much about loans and financing as some other posters, but I do know that in general, things that are recreational "toys"...like boats, ATV's, and RV's...are certainly a different kind of loan than say, a home or a car. A bank knows it's making a pretty good investment even if you default on your loan for a home or car...those items are very re-sellable for the bank if they have to foreclose on that item. Because of that, you as the borrower are going to get a better interest rate. That "Toy" loan is going to be the opposite...you're going to get a shitty interest rate, because it's more risky for the bank.

It was a bad enough decision to buy the RV in the first place, even if she bought it with cash, because she bought a brand spanking new one...it depreciated in value the minute she drove it off the lot. It is an even worse decision if they financed it, and I agree with you, they probably did.

I think Janelle thinks that her whole "living in an RV adventure" makes her look like a brave, free spirit, but to me it just makes her look once again like an idiot. It seems financially irresponsible, and irresponsible from a parenting standpoint as well. That poor girl had no choice in the matter.

Also, from the financial standpoint, Janelle spent the whole summer buying accessories for her adventure (how adventurous is it to park it on a patch of dirt and NEVER MOVE IT? Isn't that the point of an RV? She did not go anywhere or see anything!)...she was always posting some new crap she bought - propane tanks, water tanks, fire pit, new coffee pot and other kitchen stuff because her regular things didn't work in the camper...

All that stuff adds up and is now in storage with her RV because she can't live in it in the winter.

Great decision making, Janelle.

• Useful 1
  • Love 19

I wonder if Janelle looked at renting/leasing an RV for the summer rather than buying one (probably not, she is a Brown).  They don't appreciate in value like houses do, and if she cannot even tow or service it herself, that adds up. A few yrs back she imagined a future driving around the country in an RV visiting her kids, but this big RV is not the answer to that dream. It reminded me of the Lucille Ball movie "The Long, Long Trailer" (1954).

• Love 10

I saw stories that RVs, campers, travel trailers, etc were in short supply during covid.  Sales lots in my area of NC said they had sold everything they had and ordered for all others.  The wait list was long for things on order.  So, I was shocked when I saw that Janelle found a new one and was able to afford it.  I still can’t figure it out.  I’ve always suspected that Kody has a wealthy benefactor.  Perhaps, that person has decided to contribute to Janelle at this point.   

• Useful 4
  • Love 4
4 hours ago, Sasha888 said:

Lol, love the "own" in quotes! So true.

I don't know as much about loans and financing as some other posters, but I do know that in general, things that are recreational "toys"...like boats, ATV's, and RV's...are certainly a different kind of loan than say, a home or a car. A bank knows it's making a pretty good investment even if you default on your loan for a home or car...those items are very re-sellable for the bank if they have to foreclose on that item. Because of that, you as the borrower are going to get a better interest rate. That "Toy" loan is going to be the opposite...you're going to get a shitty interest rate, because it's more risky for the bank.

It was a bad enough decision to buy the RV in the first place, even if she bought it with cash, because she bought a brand spanking new one...it depreciated in value the minute she drove it off the lot. It is an even worse decision if they financed it, and I agree with you, they probably did.

I think Janelle thinks that her whole "living in an RV adventure" makes her look like a brave, free spirit, but to me it just makes her look once again like an idiot. It seems financially irresponsible, and irresponsible from a parenting standpoint as well. That poor girl had no choice in the matter.

Also, from the financial standpoint, Janelle spent the whole summer buying accessories for her adventure (how adventurous is it to park it on a patch of dirt and NEVER MOVE IT? Isn't that the point of an RV? She did not go anywhere or see anything!)...she was always posting some new crap she bought - propane tanks, water tanks, fire pit, new coffee pot and other kitchen stuff because her regular things didn't work in the camper...

All that stuff adds up and is now in storage with her RV because she can't live in it in the winter.

Great decision making, Janelle.

Spot on, great post

• Love 8
5 hours ago, deirdra said:
10 hours ago, TurtlePower said:

Though I think that she may now realize that what's left after the battles are just the spoils.

at this rate, she may look back in ten years and realize it was a pyrrhic victory as she ends up in a trailer again

• LOL 1
  • Love 8
1 hour ago, bobalina said:

Okay for those who asked. Up to $250,000 profit can be excluded provided it is on your principle residence for you, your spouse or ex spouse. 

A good reason to take Kootie off the deed & mortgage! He cannot have 4 principal residences. I wonder if this caused problems when they sold the Vegas houses - Christine probably would have complained that the IRS discriminates against polygamists.

• LOL 8

Remember after years of Janelle saying she was the fiscally responsible one for the family, they had to all scramble to get their credit it order before the bank would approve them for mortgages on the homes in Vegas? I wonder how well they did handling their finances since then. Christine seemed to have no problem buying a house in AZ. But I did find it odd that every house they rented there seemed to get sold out beneath them within months.

Anyway, if they kept their finances in order while in Vegas I don't see any reason Janelle wouldn't have been approved for a loan for the RV, and I'm guessing the monthly payments are far less than what they've been paying in rent and mortgage payments each month for the four houses for each family.

The next few months could be costly for Janelle though, with paying rent, RV storage and a possible loan payment. And as @SunnyBeBe pointed out, RVs are scarce right now. If Janelle did sell it, she might get close to what she paid for it.

Edited by GeeGolly
  • Useful 1
  • Love 5
13 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

If Janelle did sell it, she might get close to what she paid for it.

The RV shortage is certainly a consideration, but that shortage is from an influx of people new to RV'ing...I can't see a person who is new to camping wanting the largest, most expensive RV they could find. Not everyone would have that kind of money to blow on what is a "summers only" hobby for most people, and if you're new to towing and all that, you'd likely not want to start out with an RV like Janelle's. She really got one of the biggest ones you can buy. Small to mid-size ones might be holding their value better than usual, but I don't think she'd get anywhere near what she paid for it.

New customers or not, they really depreciate quickly.

Also, she hasn't had it that long...she probably didn't get into the camping lifestyle before the prices rose. Janelle likely bought at a jacked-up price, after demand had already risen.

Probably a moot point anyway...she says she's storing it, and talking about setting up camp again after the winter. Sounds like she doesn't intend to sell it.

25 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

Remember after years of Janelle saying she was the fiscally responsible one for the family

Ha ha ha YES I do!! Good times with the Brown family..."most fiscally responsible Brown" is kind of like saying "he was the most polite serial killer in our cell block!"

Janelle...who apparently cashed in her gov't retirement fund when they ran off to Vegas, to pay for everyone's rentals (so that selfish Meri could have the biggest rental house, and then get snippy with Janelle about it).

Not a 401K, mind you -  which you should also never cash in early unless it's a dire emergency because of all the penalties, etc - that would've been enough of a travesty. But a bottomless, endless, gov't retirement. The kind where most people live plenty long enough to take out more than they ever had to pay in, and they have to keep paying you every month until you croak.

You guys probably already know all this, how gov't retirement works, but I mean...I just can't even describe the enormity of that mistake.

And then to think she probably did it at the whim of Kody Brown...I just want to weep at the stupidity of this woman, and then they are all like "OH yeah, Janelle's the one who's good at finances!" And it's probably true, the rest of them are probably worse. DEAR GOD.

Sorry, I need to take a strong drink and go to bed! It just really bugs me how badly Janelle's own family victimized her in this instance. She was set for retirement, and instead she stupidly gave it all up for "the family" - and now they don't care at all that Janelle is over 50 and probably has no retirement savings, and never will. I go between feeling terribly sorry for her, and wanting to shake some sense into her!

• Love 17
21 hours ago, Twopper said:

yep,  in their book it is mentioned---I think by Meri---that she and Janelle clashed over decor and also dish washing/ kitchen cleaning.

This was to be expected, wasn’t it? Even when two partners marry or move in together there are (minor) disagreements on how certain things are supposed to be done. That only makes sense; you’re both raised by different people and may also have different preferences or priorities. Kody and Meri probably had this figured out. 

In comes wife no 2… in an established household of husband and wife. New dynamics and, long live polygamy, jealousy. Janelle brought her own stuff and also tried to make it a home. Of course Meri clashed with Janelle! Her rival has moved in with her stuff and on top of that she has little in common with this new wife. Polygamy=Complicated…. Why anyone freely chooses this lifestyle is beyond me!

• Love 10