Type keyword(s) to search

Janelle Brown: Smarter Than Your Average Brown (Maybe)

• Start Topic

9 minutes ago, Kohola3 said:

What is it with these people and eggs?

I have raised chickens for 15 years and my family didn't eat/use as many eggs as the Browns seem to go through.  I make sponge cakes and puddings to use up extras and even make a "chicken cake" to feed back to the girls when I was overwhelmed. 

• LOL 3
  • Love 2
25 minutes ago, Roslyn said:

I have raised chickens for 15 years and my family didn't eat/use as many eggs as the Browns seem to go through.  I make sponge cakes and puddings to use up extras and even make a "chicken cake" to feed back to the girls when I was overwhelmed. 

I ate Paleo for years and we ate a LOT of eggs.  I LOVE eggs - but they hate me.  For some reason they make me really sick so I haven't eaten them for years.  Except on holidays if one of my grown kids brings deviled eggs which I love!  I eat as many as I can (which isn't many) and then feel awful, lol.

How many chickens do you have?

• Love 2
5 minutes ago, Kyanight said:

I ate Paleo for years and we ate a LOT of eggs.  I LOVE eggs - but they hate me.  For some reason they make me really sick so I haven't eaten them for years.  Except on holidays if one of my grown kids brings deviled eggs which I love!  I eat as many as I can (which isn't many) and then feel awful, lol.

How many chickens do you have?

Right now I have three 10 year old retired ladies who still entertain us daily.  At my highest I had 80 birds with upwards of 15 males (Springtime fight season was always fun...🙄) Back then I wanted to select breed two heritage breeds, but my life took a different direction and I just couldn't take the time needed for records and isolation etc to keep a solid breeding program going.  Instead we enjoyed the entertainment, sold a whole lot of eggs and fought to keep the gardens from being destroyed.

As a side note, a LOT of people have told me that they got upset stomachs from eating commercially produced eggs, but never got sick from mine.  My girls had full run of the woods and yard/field as well as a vegetable based layer feed and of course all the leftovers that didn't go to the compost. Pasture raised eggs have been independently tested to have higher amounts of micro nutrients as well as really high Vitamin A.

I made the decision quite a few years ago to not continue with chickens and once these three end their life naturally I have no plans to get any more.  However...I do wish I had at least a few layers with what is going on in the world around us.

• Useful 1
  • Love 9
3 minutes ago, Roslyn said:

Right now I have three 10 year old retired ladies who still entertain us daily.  At my highest I had 80 birds with upwards of 15 males (Springtime fight season was always fun...🙄) Back then I wanted to select breed two heritage breeds, but my life took a different direction and I just couldn't take the time needed for records and isolation etc to keep a solid breeding program going.  Instead we enjoyed the entertainment, sold a whole lot of eggs and fought to keep the gardens from being destroyed.

As a side note, a LOT of people have told me that they got upset stomachs from eating commercially produced eggs, but never got sick from mine.  My girls had full run of the woods and yard/field as well as a vegetable based layer feed and of course all the leftovers that didn't go to the compost. Pasture raised eggs have been independently tested to have higher amounts of micro nutrients as well as really high Vitamin A.

I made the decision quite a few years ago to not continue with chickens and once these three end their life naturally I have no plans to get any more.  However...I do wish I had at least a few layers with what is going on in the world around us.

I DO buy free-range eggs, but they are still commercial.  I wonder if I would be ok eating eggs from someone local maybe? Wish you lived closer!

We had a next door neighbor who had roosters for cock fighting (NOT legal but they didn't speak English and I'm not sure they ever understood).  Thank God the fights were held somewhere else - I abhor that and pitbull fighting.  Their sons were involved in a very dangerous ethnic gang and they killed some guys in "Lodo" and went to prison - the family lost their house and moved.  I LOVED the grandfather... but don't miss the rest of the family.  Well that was about 20 years ago, lol.  YOU know this little fact but I don't know if other people do - roosters don't just crow at dawn!  Our neighbor's roosters crowed whenever they felt like it.  Ah, the joys of living in a city!

• Love 7
4 minutes ago, DakotaJustice said:

I notice she's not going on and on about the $45 group. I'm not on Facebook, is there any way for FB users who aren't part of the group to see how many people actually joined? 

I did a quick search on Facebook and all that comes up is her open Strive page(with 16,356 likes).  She has lots of "superfans" gushing and lots and lots of people talking about COVID-19. Most likely the group that the "challenge" is set up for is locked up as private invite only or secret so that it isn't found in a normal search but only through a link sent directly to those who have paid.

I suspect the "challenge" won't go as anticipated because of the quarantines and food supply issues.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
1 minute ago, Kyanight said:

I DO buy free-range eggs, but they are still commercial.  I wonder if I would be ok eating eggs from someone local maybe? Wish you lived closer!

We had a next door neighbor who had roosters for cock fighting (NOT legal but they didn't speak English and I'm not sure they ever understood).  Thank God the fights were held somewhere else - I abhor that and pitbull fighting.  Their sons were involved in a very dangerous ethnic gang and they killed some guys in "Lodo" and went to prison - the family lost their house and moved.  I LOVED the grandfather... but don't miss the rest of the family.  Well that was about 20 years ago, lol.  YOU know this little fact but I don't know if other people do - roosters don't just crow at dawn!  Our neighbor's roosters crowed whenever they felt like it.  Ah, the joys of living in a city!

If you can find a local person raising hens that get to wander over pasture, that is the best quality that you can get.  "Free Range" and "Cage Free" are labels that people think means the hens are wandering free, but usually it actually means that it is still a giant covered structure where the hens are not caged, but still confined.  It may be in the regulation that the hens "have access to the outside", but hens raised in doors will not usually wander out the door unless most all of the others also wander out that door.

I could have sold tickets to my rooster "scraps".  My dog was very good at his job protecting the flock from predators as well as breaking up fights.  Yes.  Sometimes hens fight as well.  Often there were multiple fights happening at once.  My dog went in one direction and me and my broom went in another. 🙄

I had many chickens that preferred to roost at night in a tree next to the coop.  Putting them even with my attic bedroom...with a window between my bed and the tree. Full moon nights were the worst as a couple of roosters would crow through the night.  Those were the days.  There are still a few boys that I really loved and I dearly miss. ❤️

• Useful 1
  • Love 6
17 minutes ago, Roslyn said:

What about pasture raised organic?  I pay a lot for them and hope they have more Vitamin K2 than the others.  Having chickens sounds like it could be fun.  My best friend grew up on a farm and is deadly afraid of live chickens!!  Says they will "Peck your eyes out" given the chance.  Do we think the new Brown property will allow them a flock?

• Love 2
1 minute ago, lookeyloo said:

What about pasture raised organic?  I pay a lot for them and hope they have more Vitamin K2 than the others.  Having chickens sounds like it could be fun.  My best friend grew up on a farm and is deadly afraid of live chickens!!  Says they will "Peck your eyes out" given the chance.  Do we think the new Brown property will allow them a flock?

I'll take my response to small talk...

On 3/13/2020 at 6:17 AM, laurakaye said:

This woman has a seriously unhealthy relationship with drive-thrus.  It's like she physically cannot pass McD's or Burger King without stopping for something.  The backseat of her car must look like a dumpster.  There's something deeply wrong there...she is so emotionless most of the time, but clearly something is being transferred to her deep need to eat junk food whenever she can't find matching socks, or the wind blows from the north, or she realizes that she's stuck in a spiritual marriage to a horrible narcissistic man-child and her kids are all leaving her one by one.

I can’t remember if Savannah is in middle or high school. If her practice is at the closest high school to Janelle’s house, Janelle would have to go out of her way to get to a drive thru. If at the closest middle school, she’d pass maybe two places with drive thrus.

The temptation must be intense if she has to drive out of her way for her cravings or is tempted to stop at the same places all the time! 

• Love 4
2 minutes ago, New2this said:

I can’t remember if Savannah is in middle or high school. If her practice is at the closest high school to Janelle’s house, Janelle would have to go out of her way to get to a drive thru. If at the closest middle school, she’d pass maybe two places with drive thrus.

The temptation must be intense if she has to drive out of her way for her cravings or is tempted to stop at the same places all the time! 

I have no doubt that she would go out of her way for food. I think she has always  been a take out or fast foodie, everything is a chore for her, and that includes cooking.

• Love 9
30 minutes ago, lookeyloo said:

I had a copy of Rose Wilder Lane's famous chicken pie recipe and in the recipe she specifically requires a hen who has spent its life running around, scratching for feed and eating bugs and insects along with its regular feed (Laura Ingalls Wilder was well known as an expert on raising chickens before she wrote her famous books) rather than a "battery chicken". Because the taste is different. Better. 

• Useful 3
  • Love 7
2 hours ago, DakotaJustice said:

I had a copy of Rose Wilder Lane's famous chicken pie recipe and in the recipe she specifically requires a hen who has spent its life running around, scratching for feed and eating bugs and insects along with its regular feed (Laura Ingalls Wilder was well known as an expert on raising chickens before she wrote her famous books) rather than a "battery chicken". Because the taste is different. Better. 

I can agree. While my main goal with my hens was always to raise them for egg production, we have eaten many of our birds and when people remember Grandma's chicken recipes as the most delicious, it isn't always just that Grandma cooked with love, but if she used home raised chickens...they taste more full flavored than any grocery store chicken I have ever cooked.

• Useful 2
  • Love 10
4 hours ago, ginger90 said:

F53286BB-D48D-4A8F-8087-3F8A9214EDE7.jpeg

0892C1AC-7788-4E08-BD1E-47ABEB6539B8.jpeg

177D79E4-10D0-40D4-AE70-EA84CF34AC99.jpeg

8F918CA6-9929-469F-9890-E0F4708644F0.jpeg

that looks absolutely hidious!!!  She eats a green salad for breakfast?  I think she is trying her best to let us viewers think she's eating healthy.  She's so full of shit, just like her spiritual husband.  I agree with a recent post, Janelle, just stop trying to be someone your not.  Enjoy food, enjoy your kids, and enjoy your sister wives the way you should.  Just stop trying to impress us viewers, because it's just not happening...you creep me out.

• LOL 3
  • Love 15

I’m just putting this out there, not passing judgment at all..... my husband was obese most of his adult life. Finally in his late 60s, he lost about 70 lbs. But you know what? His stomach still hung down and he only went down 1 or 2 pant sizes. The doctor said plastic surgery was the only way to get rid of the excess flesh. We could never afford it. The rest of his body looked a lot slimmer. Perhaps Janelle would be like that. No matter how much she loses, she’ll always have the hanging gut. 

• Useful 5
  • Love 9
6 hours ago, Mahamid Frauded Me said:

I have no doubt that she would go out of her way for food. I think she has always  been a take out or fast foodie, everything is a chore for her, and that includes cooking.

All those photos of telephone lines and roadside pullouts were probably taken on her way to/from fast food joints.

ETA: Ha ha.  Sandy W's post had another pic with telephone lines in it.  My idea of going for a walk in nature means no telephone poles/lines as far as the eye can see.

Edited by deirdra
  • Love 6

Hmm, when I'm taking my walks around the neighborhood, I wouldn't think of focusing on telephone lines.  I don't even like TALKINGk on the phone.

Janelle and Snowflake should quit posting garbage and pretending they know anythingk, because THEY DON'T.

• Love 7

I had fresh sugar snap peas for breakfast this morning (from the store, it’s still winter here). But then again I’m not STRIVING on the internet. 
Then 2 hours later I had leftover Taco Bell.  
Maybe she and I have more in common than I thought! Heh. 

Edited by Meowwww
  • LOL 14
  • Love 1
On 3/18/2020 at 4:50 PM, Meowwww said:

I had fresh sugar snap peas for breakfast this morning (from the store, it’s still winter here). But then again I’m not STRIVING on the internet. 
Then 2 hours later I had leftover Taco Bell.  
Maybe she and I have more in common than I thought! Heh. 

no worries, I doubt Janelle ever has Taco Bell leftovers on hand.

• LOL 16
4 hours ago, ginger90 said:

Maybe it’s because I live in Florida and don’t see snow like I did when growing up, but if I’m up north and it snows, I’m taking a picture of beautiful nature scenes, not snow on the ground next to two cars. 🙄

• LOL 1
  • Love 19
On 3/13/2020 at 7:17 AM, laurakaye said:

This woman has a seriously unhealthy relationship with drive-thrus.  It's like she physically cannot pass McD's or Burger King without stopping for something.  The backseat of her car must look like a dumpster.  There's something deeply wrong there...she is so emotionless most of the time, but clearly something is being transferred to her deep need to eat junk food whenever she can't find matching socks, or the wind blows from the north, or she realizes that she's stuck in a spiritual marriage to a horrible narcissistic man-child and her kids are all leaving her one by one.

The struggle definitely IS real. My mother struggled with low level depression her whole life, and had a weight problem in the 80s and 90s. She eventually lost nearly 100lbs over 2-3 years by following the Canada Food Guide and walking a few km every day that she could manage it (she has a degenerative hip condition and is technically disabled). She told me one of the biggest realizations for her was that she had somehow tricked herself into believing that if she went through the drive-thru, it didn't count. If she physically went into a restaurant, it did. She acknowledges that it's completely ridiculous, but that's what her mind was rationalizing.

Food has got to be one of the toughest addictions to break because we need to eat to survive. Plus, the unhealthiest food is often the easiest to obtain, and is pumped full of all sorts of chemicals that improve its taste and make us want to eat it more. 

I'm sure many of us who've struggled with weight or watched a loved one struggle have empathy for Janelle. The obvious challenges she faces in her plural marriage, plus whatever is going on in the other aspects of her life, or in her chemical makeup, are obviously very difficult to overcome. She invites snark, however, by continuing to "strive" without any visible results, and over a very long period of time. This can't be helping her resolve to do better. I know it wouldn't help mine. Perhaps she should keep the "striving" quiet and focus on herself, instead of finding inane things to post about. 

Edited by Saje81
  • Useful 4
  • Love 17
18 minutes ago, Saje81 said:

I'm sure many of us who've struggled with weight or watched a loved one struggle have empathy for Janelle. The obvious challenges she faces in her plural marriage, plus whatever is going on in the other aspects of her life, or in her chemical makeup, are obviously very difficult to overcome. She invites snark, however, by continuing to "strive" without any visible results, and over a very long period of time. This can't be helping her resolve to do better. I know it wouldn't help mine. Perhaps she should keep the "striving" quiet and focus on herself, instead of finding inane things to post about. 

See... and that's just it!!  Of all the things she COULD be doing, setting herself up as a role model to a myriad of people online should not be one of them if she is spinning in circles and not going anywhere!

• Love 12
1 hour ago, Saje81 said:

The struggle definitely IS real. My mother struggled with low level depression her whole life, and had a weight problem in the 80s and 90s. She eventually lost nearly 100lbs over 2-3 years by following the Canada Food Guide and walking a few km every day that she could manage it (she has a degenerative hip condition and is technically disabled). She told me one of the biggest realizations for her was that she had somehow tricked herself into believing that if she went through the drive-thru, it didn't count. If she physically went into a restaurant, it did. She acknowledges that it's completely ridiculous, but that's what her mind was rationalizing.

Food has got to be one of the toughest addictions to break because we need to eat to survive. Plus, the unhealthiest food is often the easiest to obtain, and is pumped full of all sorts of chemicals that improve its taste and make us want to eat it more. 

She's had 6 babies as well.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Saje81 said:

This. I'd have empathy for her if she had a blog or managed a support group for people who are struggling, but instead she turns it into a mockery with her "business".  When you don't have visible results and constantly complain about how hard it is to even get off the couch, you have no business having a business as a "coach". 

Another thing--Janelle's had plenty of time to learn about food and nutrition, but she still comes off as a moron with the "discoveries" many of us have known about for decades. I honestly feel like she's somehow learning disabled when it comes to health and fitness. She needs to hang up the "Strive" smock and hire a coach versus trying to be one.

• Love 13
1 hour ago, texasbluebonnets said:

She's had 6 babies as well.

Pffffft!  I had eight, including a set of twins.  I'm overweight because I love food.

Not to mention - Michelle Duggar isn't as big as Janelle and she had 20 babies.

Edited by Kyanight
  • Useful 3
  • Love 10
9 hours ago, Mahamid Frauded Me said:

Of course she does, its her excuse to stay home in her jammies and be a sofa slug, ordering pizza for delivery.  Rather than getting out and doing some shoveling for some exercise 

Janelle contradicts herself, yet again. I posted this the other day:

As long as I’m here, this was in my Facebook memories today, from a post of mine in 2015. Wires included. 🤣😂

E3CE33BC-95CE-4753-B735-91134E6A7A6A.jpeg

• Love 2
On 3/20/2020 at 10:47 AM, DanaMB said:

Maybe it’s because I live in Florida and don’t see snow like I did when growing up, but if I’m up north and it snows, I’m taking a picture of beautiful nature scenes, not snow on the ground next to two cars

My first thought on seeing this photo was "who would post such a pic instead of deleting it? I mean sure, show the level of snow on the cars, but at least frame it so we can see the background, maybe some trees, etc. My second thought? Ooh, this will provide some great fodder for our snark! 😉

• LOL 4
  • Love 4
9 minutes ago, Teafortwo said:

My first thought on seeing this photo was "who would post such a pic instead of deleting it? I mean sure, show the level of snow on the cars, but at least frame it so we can see the background, maybe some trees, etc. My second thought? Ooh, this will provide some great fodder for our snark! 😉

I'm imagining it's the only thing she can see from the window of her rental - the driveway.  No trees, nothing pretty.  Just cars in the driveway.  

• Love 6

Like she NEEDED an excuse to get back to comfort food?  That's what she should do professionally . . . sell lists of excuses for not staying with a healthy food/exercise plan.

There are a whole bunch of Dr. Now's patients on My 600-Pound Life who would pay good money for some better excuses.

• LOL 1
  • Love 11
5 minutes ago, DakotaJustice said:

What'd she do, scrape off all the Velveeta (with a SPOON!) and toss the broccoli?  And who wants to see a half-consumed item in a dirty Tupperware anyways?!?

She has not unpacked her chipped crockery yet.

• LOL 5
  • Love 8
20 hours ago, ginger90 said:

BCA38ECE-7075-4C6B-B051-61FAB3FEB126.jpeg

8ABC1BB5-1ACE-4191-BFBE-FFF8F2048AC3.jpeg

This dolt shows us again why she should not been this "business": Unimaginative, ugly and uninspiring photos of half-eaten food with the use of the word "interesting". Not "adds texture and flavor to make the broccoli more palatable", but "interesting". Interesting? Did she sit and wonder about it the rest of the day? 

Way to go, Janelle. Only thing she's achieved with this Strive bullshit is her Dunce Cap. 

• LOL 7
  • Love 7

Maybe only make broccoli based on what you will eat at one time.  Then you aren't stuck force feeding yourself cold, old broccoli instead of throwing it out to the chickens.

Buy frozen broccoli...take out only what you will eat and cook that. Then it is always fresh cooked, warm and tasty. 😉

• Love 8
1 hour ago, TurtlePower said:

This dolt shows us again why she should not been this "business": Unimaginative, ugly and uninspiring photos of half-eaten food with the use of the word "interesting". Not "adds texture and flavor to make the broccoli more palatable", but "interesting". Interesting? Did she sit and wonder about it the rest of the day? 

Way to go, Janelle. Only thing she's achieved with this Strive bullshit is her Dunce Cap. 

She also graphically demonstrates why the other "wives" shudder at the very thought of sharing a kitchen with her again.  

• Useful 1
  • LOL 13
  • Love 1