Type keyword(s) to search

Meri Brown and her Wet Bar of Tears

• Start Topic

I like your theory very much.  I posted something similar in a different thread except not with PTSD but I thought perhaps she was showing signs of MPD in adopting different fantasy personas and living in a fantasy world.  And MPD is also a reaction to trauma.  So I think we've both realized that it's a reaction to trauma that might be the cause of her avoiding reality through those fantasy personas, it's just what kind of trauma and when did it occur that's the question.  I also said that it looks like she has a very deep need to be in a relationship as a "man" with a hetero. woman and frauding people is the only way she can "achieve" that.  The fact that she is continuing the charade as "Sam" in that blog is telling me she is unwilling to give up the fantasy even though she is completely "outed" by this time with the public.  I think she is holding onto it because she can't face the reality and has to keep others believing it too in order to continue to not face it.  I don't think it's just to look consistent or whatever.  At this point I would think that if it were just a scam that she was fully conscious of as unreal, she would have moved on by now but she hasn't.  So I think on some level she still needs it to be her "reality" as she avoids the truth.

Was Overton in the military that we know of?  Did I miss that fact or is that part of your theory?

I can absolutely see MPD in her, whether by design or by real illness- I see it. Maybe PTSD, but I doubt it- I think she really is that sick. (Not that people with PTSD aren't sick- I just can't see how she'd EVER get into the military or police except perhaps by being arrested, certainly not in any type of military type position--she'd get weeded out by her craziness pretty quickly I think). 

• Love 3

I like your theory very much.  I posted something similar in a different thread except not with PTSD but I thought perhaps she was showing signs of MPD in adopting different fantasy personas and living in a fantasy world.  And MPD is also a reaction to trauma.  So I think we've both realized that it's a reaction to trauma that might be the cause of her avoiding reality through those fantasy personas, it's just what kind of trauma and when did it occur that's the question.  I also said that it looks like she has a very deep need to be in a relationship as a "man" with a hetero. woman and frauding people is the only way she can "achieve" that.  The fact that she is continuing the charade as "Sam" in that blog is telling me she is unwilling to give up the fantasy even though she is completely "outed" by this time with the public.  I think she is holding onto it because she can't face the reality and has to keep others believing it too in order to continue to not face it.  I don't think it's just to look consistent or whatever.  At this point I would think that if it were just a scam that she was fully conscious of as unreal, she would have moved on by now but she hasn't.  So I think on some level she still needs it to be her "reality" as she avoids the truth.

Was Overton in the military that we know of?  Did I miss that fact or is that part of your theory?

My first thought was, "Overton is probably a huge suicide risk. Once this collapses completely, what will she have left?" Apparently her mother played the same kinds of con games, which makes me wonder if this isn't some sort of hereditary metal illness along with the obvious learned behaviour. Anyone know what happened to the mother?

• Love 2

I know a little about psychiatric issues. MPD seems right because at this point, I don't think she is lying. I think she has completely absorbed this whole life of Sam.

This goes to show how not bright Meri is. She didn't see all the warning signs that something isn't quite right with her imaginary boyfriend? Either that or meri is very VERY desperate. Or both.

Meri is emotionally stunted at a 14 year old girl level.

Edited by Marigold

I brought up PTSD from military sexual trauma because that's my niche. JO most likely is not a Veteran. Her PTSD would be from sexual trauma, which is why she created this perfect "southern gentleman" type because he would never be a rapist.

MPD is not an option here because JO is able to use 2-3(?) personas simultaneously to support her agenda. That's not possible with MPD.

Meri is emotionally stunted at a 14 year old girl level.

What was Meri's childhood like? Does their book explore that? Edited by CofCinci
  • Love 1

MPD they are completely separate and aren't aware of the other?

And JO can do them all at once?

This Jackie sounds like she really lives the persona she creates.

Sounds like PTSD tripped off another psychiatric disorder....

And her mother has the same issues. Could they both have the same PTSD?

JO is a complicated case. Probably a lot of stuff going on there. Or just a sick person who enjoys attention and playing games. CofCinci, wasn't there a case of a psoter doing this on 19K&C forums?

It just boggles my mind that people actually do this and do it so well.

I brought up PTSD from military sexual trauma because that's my niche. JO most likely is not a Veteran. Her PTSD would be from sexual trauma, which is why she created this perfect "southern gentleman" type because he would never be a rapist.

MPD is not an option here because JO is able to use 2-3(?) personas simultaneously to support her agenda. That's not possible with MPD.

I'm thinking a little bit of co-consciousness is going on between personas and they aren't as cut and dried as all that, which is actually possible.  Which means that more than one persona can be conscious and influencing behavior at any one time, sometimes with the host fully conscious of that co-consciousness and sometimes not.  Which means also that different personas CAN be aware of each other even at the time one is acting.  Popular knowledge has assumed that they are entirely separate and don't know about each other, but that's only in some cases.

Also, it is written often that MPD or DID as it's now called (Dissociative Identity Disorder) are both related and that MPD may be a form of PTSD.  So one may not have to choose between the two where JO is concerned.

What was Meri's childhood like? Does their book explore that?

If I recall, Meri didn't write anything about sexual trauma or anything abusive happening to her. i think she came from a polygamist family. But as we have seen and observed, for many families (not all) polygamy seems to emotionally traumatic.

It just seems like Meri is stunted at a teen level. Assuming those handwritten notes were authentic, they look like a teen girl wrote it. And carving Sam's name in her arm? Teen cutting behavior over a boy? It just screams teen girl behavior. Meri and I are the same age. It shocks me how silly and immature she is.

I'm very glad for her that she didn't send any nudes. At least she showed an ounce of common sense.

My friend has mild DID due to rape as a child.

Edited by Marigold
  • Love 1

My first thought was, "Overton is probably a huge suicide risk. Once this collapses completely, what will she have left?" Apparently her mother played the same kinds of con games, which makes me wonder if this isn't some sort of hereditary metal illness along with the obvious learned behaviour. Anyone know what happened to the mother?

Shades of Sante and Kenneth Kimes in my opinion.

• Love 1

The mods are probably going to come spank us if we keep speculating but we can all agree on a diagnosis for JO: Batshit Insane. Not Batman yet because you're still batshit insane.

Meri grew up in polygamy, but was she socially isolated? Did she attend mainstream high school? Or was on a compound somewhere? She has no social skills and up until the move to Vegas and "fame" probably didn't interact with many people.

Edited by CofCinci
  • Love 3
Or just a sick person who enjoys attention and playing games.

I'm not a mental health expert.  She just seems evil to me, plain and simple.  Comes by it by way of her mother who plays the same kind of con games.  There are lots of people out there who lie, cheat, and steal just because that's what they do without any kind of psychiatric disorder assigned to their behavior.  There area also plenty of people who have PTSD that don't sink to her level.  

I think of all of the WWII vets (and personally know several) who came home with PTSD which wasn't recognized back then and went on to lead productive lives without scamming and harming other people.

• Love 11

I was hoping we could analyze JO because she is not part of the cast of Sister Wives but I guess we will stop. (sad face)

It's just so mind boggling to see it all unravel..what motivates someone like JO is interesting.

I submit that JO really did fall in love with Meri. JO has convinced herself of that.

Meri's sense of desperation and isolation and shame must be at fever pitch. I've seen the promo for tonight's show and I cringe. Why is the show and Meri and her family even allowing this discussion on-air? The illicit relationship wasn't a part of the season's storyline. It's all so voyeuristic and seedy.

Meri made a terrible mistake, and it was a mistake rooted in her tragic, unhappy, miserable life. I hope she can make changes for her own sake, but, man, this situation has zero entertainment value to me.

• Love 6
Why is the show and Meri and her family even allowing this discussion on-air? The illicit relationship wasn't a part of the season's storyline.

Well, Tamron is well known to be a totally ineffectual interviewer so I doubt there will be much divulged that we don't already know. Lots of tears and eye boogers, though. Mostly with the camera on Sobbyn..

The "why" is the reason for the whole mess - ratings and money.

• Love 1

I have a question/request, probably more for the mods...if I am the only one struggling with this I more more than happily suck it up, it's not a huge issue, just slightly inconvenient for me. With the tell nothing there will be 3 threads covering the catfish scandal, they are all valid and on topic so I don't really know how it could ever be really regulated, and I don't think tonight is the time to make any change, but in the near future (like a few weeks) would it be possible to consolidate the catfish to one thread, like we agree to discuss it in the Meri thread? Personally I just lose track of what is said in what thread.

Like I said I will gladly shut up if I'm the only one bothered, it's just a suggestion to streamline the conversation.

• Love 1

I agree if that isn't a ton of work. To be honest, im over anything to do with the catfishing, meris distress over it or the crazy bitch doing it so it would make it easier to avoid as well. .haha

Edited by MarysWetBar
  • Love 1

Why is the show and Meri and her family even allowing this discussion on-air? The illicit relationship wasn't a part of the season's storyline. It's all so voyeuristic and seedy.

Because they have $2 million in mortgages to resecure this year. All their other storylines, even the due baby, are boring as hell. "Today we are going to visit our friends at 'Name of Company That Will Give Them Free Shit'." The next storyline they'll exploit to pay off their debts: Christine's mental health crisis.

• Love 2

I'm not sure if this particular lie is more intended to make the catfish seem important to the readers of the blog, or to make Meri fear that someone from TLC is doubting her and she is being set up.  Probably a little of both.

It isn't a stretch to think Meri is lying. She sat at that dinner table talking about leaving to be alone because she was feeling lost..that isn't exactly what was going on. She hid her affair.. So if she lies about that? 

Did she admit going to Disney? and if you listen to the vms, she talks about plans to meet in Utah.

Either way, I doubt we are getting the whole truth from either side.  

it's all spin.

• Love 4

I don't see Meri as lying because she is divorced. I don't believe they are true plygs, they make up rules as they go.

I wish the fish was a genuine man who cared about Meri. What a slap to Kody and most importantly, it would have helped Meri, Christine and maybe dense Janelle see there is life outside the polygamy compound.

• Love 2

This is by far my favorite exchange between "Sam" and one of "his" "blog readers":

Another believer says:
November 20, 2015 at 9:44 pm

In the text, Meri refers to the one thing she asked for and then things could go back to normal. What did she ask from you?

Samuel says:
November 20, 2015 at 9:45 pm

She wanted me to buy her a Tropical Smoothie and talk to her. I was done at that point so I refused.

All she wanted was a TROPICAL SMOOTHIE, Sam, you heartless bastard.

• Love 9

I think I read that they cant use the photo search option because its not a whole face :( Im dying to know who it is!!!

Has anyone tried flipping the face and pasting it together with the other half in paint or another picture program? I don't recall the picture enough to know if it would result in a usable image. It depends on where the eyes are pointing, etc.

You're right, that guy looks totally different.  Those photos that "Sam" just posted would be super ridiculously easy to fake!  JO could have taken screen shots of her Face Timing with Meri and then subbed out someone else's face for hers.

• Love 1

You're right, that guy looks totally different. Those photos that "Sam" just posted would be super ridiculously easy to fake! JO could have taken screen shots of her Face Timing with Meri and then subbed out someone else's face for hers.

Probably a relative of Overton's who she convinced to allow his pic to be used. Sure doesn't look like an ultra rich International businessman. More like a warehouse worker or that Mark Smith kid that was "working" for him.

• Love 1

Overton's been posting photos of random guys on the blog and IG but not responding to direct queries if that is actually Sam.

ETA: seeing those pics of Meri reminds me why i avoid using FaceTime. If i was her, I'd be mortified.

Edited by DakotaJustice
  • Love 1

Who is the Goober in the hat in those pictures?  That's not SAM!    hahaha

I must say, I am disappointed in the catfish.  I was hoping for more of a rant, like the one provoked by the preview clip of the show.  The actual show itself warrants one stinkin' paragraph?  Seriously?  I guess Sam's lawyers were busy last night and couldn't rush over a written transcript for him to respond to, line by line. 

• Love 5

Who is the Goober in the hat in those pictures? That's not SAM! hahaha

I must say, I am disappointed in the catfish. I was hoping for more of a rant, like the one provoked by the preview clip of the show. The actual show itself warrants one stinkin' paragraph? Seriously? I guess Sam's lawyers were busy last night and couldn't rush over a written transcript for him to respond to, line by line.

GOOBER pretty much sums it up.

• Love 1

Awww, I am not Meri's biggest fan, but if the woman just wants a tropical smoothie and someone to talk to... I would do that... Even if I don't like her that much, she's not asking for a lot.

That's easy for YOU to say, leighroda!  You actually exist.  Unlike Sam.  It's a lot harder for him!

If only he could bust out of that little blog picture the way the guy busts out of that comic book in the Take On Me video, I bet he would buy Meri a smoothie! 

a-ha_take_on_me_2_1985_the80sman-300x225

http://imvdb.com/video/a-ha/take-on-me

Edited by Celia Rubenstein
  • Love 5

You are probably right.  I imagine what would burst forth would look a lot more like a short, chubby, red-haired woman in her 40's than the tall dark and handsome guy in the picture.  

Too bad. 

Yeah, don't forget the fat cigarette clamped in her teeth at a jaunty FDR angle, sans Roosevelt's elegant holder. Keepin it classy, JO! *shudder

• Love 6

My takeaway of the season wrap-up:

1. They have serious, obvious, ongoing interpersonal troubles, and virtually all of those troubles can be traced directly to the pitfalls of polygamy.

2. All criticisms from viewers are blamed on the viewers' inability to comprehend the uber-unique, extra-specialness of polygamy--disagreeing with their choices is proof that the disagreement is simply viewer ignorance.

3. Meri didn't CHEAT on her relationship--she was hoodwinked. The banana photo, the I'm-laying-in-bed photo, the see-my-nipples photo, the my-feet-in-a-bathtub photo, and the I-like-to-gouge-myself photo were all COERCED out of her. She had no choice but to keep it kinky TO SAVE THE FAMILY. All her recorded and written declarations of love were the catfisher's idea, and she went along because SOMEONE THINK OF THE CHILDREN.

I will give them this: every season I think the bullshit is as thick as it can get, and every season they manage to get it laid thicker.

• Love 14

Awww, I am not Meri's biggest fan, but if the woman just wants a tropical smoothie and someone to talk to... I would do that... Even if I don't like her that much, she's not asking for a lot.

omg, that's so sad.
  • Love 1

Yeah, the Catfish is upset and up to all kinds of shenanigans on his/her/its blog tonight. Has anyone noticed how girly "Sam's" interests are? Spiritual, inspirational quotes, Disney stuff, recipes, etc. Not to say men can't be interested in those things, but altogether they don't exactly scream single 42 year old guy. Meri's Catfish needs to re-take Catfishing 101 or something.

• Love 11

Oh god stop it already catfish ... have you ever even once had a conversation with a a man in your whole life? You sound nothing like a guy, much less a grown man who has been around the block.   You don't even sound like a woman trying to sound like a guy anymore. That blog has actually become embarrassing ... it's no longer even snarkworthy.

As amusing as this has all been up until now, even I am out. 

• Love 6

Broke down and went over to Sam's place.  I had to remind myself that most of those posters are probably JO herself.  But I have a feeling there are believers on there, probably setting themselves up to be the next mark.

JO is definitely obsessed with Meri.  And as long as she is on TV I think that will continue.  Meri really did bring something awful into the family.

I am familiar with another situation like this.  It didn't begin with catfishing but it turned into internet stalking like this and went on for years.  The victim ignored that stalker completely but it drew a wide audience that kept him going for a long, long time.

Edited by riverblue22
  • Love 1

I can't believe I'm banned!  Rats.  Apparently the catfish took issue with my recommendation she seek professional psychiatric care.  I was just trying to help!  Now where am I going to go when I want to read the stream of consciousness ramblings of a psycho?  

Oh well.

Seriously, does Jackie Overton not know about sites (like www.anonymouse.com) that veil you IP address so that you can visit sites you've been blocked from? It takes like two seconds.  What am I thinking, of course JO knows about sites like that.  I guess she just doesn't think we know about sites like that. 

I swear if I didn't have fifty million things to do to get ready for Thanksgiving, I'd keep her ass hopping, deleting rude comments from me all day.

• Love 3

I don't post that often and it takes a lot to shock me, but I am stunned.

I've been reading JO's blog off and on and she has an entire social network comprised of her own personalities.

And now this. She's just protected her Twitter account but these excerpts pop up on Google. Her dog is named Sam Jr...after her alter ego.

9 hours ago
Going out of town for the rest of the week. Paris then Dubai ;) Happy Thanksgiving! Love you

all!

9 hours ago
I am thankful for God, my family, my friends, my pup Sam jr and my awesome life. I'm also

thankful for a heart full of love!

9 hours ago
God bless all of my employees and their families. I wish ya'll safe travels. Everyone gets off

at noon today for the rest of the week.

• Love 5

I don't post that often and it takes a lot to shock me, but I am stunned.

I've been reading JO's blog off and on and she has an entire social network comprised of her own personalities.

And now this. She's just protected her Twitter account but these excerpts pop up on Google.

9 hours ago

God bless all of my employees and their families. I wish ya'll safe travels. Everyone gets off

at noon today for the rest of the week.

LOL. I guess when you're a super important international businessman like "Sam", you announce via your personal Twitter account that your employees can take a half day the day before Thanksgiving. I'm sure he'll be blogging at the Dubai airport about how much he still loves Meri.

Edited by egilsdottir
  • Love 1