Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Polygamous Cul-de-Sac

Message added by Scarlett45

I  understand the fear, concern, heartbreak, and stress in this current situation. I ask that we please remember the politics policy. Keep politics, political references, and political figures (past and present) out of the discussion.

Stay safe and healthy. 

• Start Topic

2 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Would you recommend an air fryer and instant pot in one?  They even have them with a toaster oven combined as well.  

I am highly suspicious of the combos.  Here is a microwave, convection oven air fryer and broiler:

https://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-NN-CD87KS-Microwave-Convection-FlashXpress/dp/B085SV35MT/ref=sr_1_5?crid=3B2YJ2RWWTA83&keywords=air+fryer+toaster+oven+microwave+combo&qid=1660179656&sprefix=air+fryer+toaster+oven+micr%2Caps%2C234&sr=8-5

• Useful 2
  • Love 1
14 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Would you recommend an air fryer and instant pot in one?  They even have them with a toaster oven combined as well.  

The instant pot has an air fryer lid. One by instant pot and one by Mealthy. It uses the instant pot as the “oven” and the lid does the cooking. I have the Mealthy lid. Then bought a Ninja flip oven 8 and 1 - there are many versions of it.  Like it a lot 

• Love 2
4 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I’ll check these out.  I’m usually wary of combined items too, but with limited counter space, it’s tempting,  I intend to use both most days.  

Well, if you were close to me I would give you the Mealthy lid.  It is in the donate pile.  Works, but, just not for me.

• Love 1

I suppose it’s a matter of personal taste.  I received a text this afternoon from my ex SIL that she had one she didn’t want.  So, I may try it…not sure of details.  I can donate it if I don’t like it. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
22 hours ago, lookeyloo said:

The instant pot has an air fryer lid. One by instant pot and one by Mealthy. It uses the instant pot as the “oven” and the lid does the cooking. I have the Mealthy lid. Then bought a Ninja flip oven 8 and 1 - there are many versions of it.  Like it a lot 

The word “Mealthy” makes me want to 🤮. All I can see in my mind are meal worms, ground up into something mealy.

They may well make good products but I just can’t get past the terrible name. 

• Wink 1
  • Applause 2
  • LOL 5
17 minutes ago, TurtlePower said:

The word “Mealthy” makes me want to 🤮. All I can see in my mind are meal worms, ground up into something mealy.

They may well make good products but I just can’t get past the terrible name. 

It is a bad name. Maybe it is a take off on healthy 

• Like 2
  • Wink 1
  • Useful 2

I recently had carrots cooked in the air fryer and they were delicious. I really liked the texture.  They are a great side or great for adding to salads or dipping in hummus.  

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Useful 4
  • Love 1
5 hours ago, lookeyloo said:

It is a bad name. Maybe it is a take off on healthy 

So it’s pronounced “mel-thy”? Still sounds gross. Too close to “methy”. It either sounds like meal worms or meth. 

It most certainly is a terrible name. 

• Like 4
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1

It is probably a combination of meal & healthy, but it sounds awful and there are at least two ways to pronounce it - is it "meel-thy" or "mell-thy"?   I didn't think of meal worms initially (I do now! 😝), but envisioned one of Janelle's beige & grey dog barf combinations in a bowl.  

• LOL 5

So after two and a half years of escape, the Covid got me a month ago during our one and only vacation this entire year, lol.  Resting on a beach and isolating in a nice condo wasn't the worst but all the plans we had were a bust.  We managed to salvage one whole day before going home.  Three days of being extremely tired (and being loathe to admit that I was, indeed, actually that tired) and now going on my third prescription to get rid of a dry ticklish cough that makes me want to clear my throat 1,453 times a day.  Thankful it wasn't worse, that my diabetic husband's case was far milder than mine, and that since we weren't at home, we didn't expose our kids.  Rose-colored glasses. ;)

Edited by laurakaye
  • Like 2
  • Hugs 11
  • Love 1

Me and DH both caught COVID at the same time on New Year's Eve this year.  Then, a winter storm blew threw at the same time, and so we were without power for 3 and 1/2 days. Couldn't go to a hotel due to COVID, so we suffered through it all, no power and sick as dogs.  Fortunately, neither had a bad case, but it was still miserable.  🤒

• Hugs 3
  • Sad 9
17 hours ago, laurakaye said:

So after two and a half years of escape, the Covid got me a month ago during our one and only vacation this entire year, lol.  Resting on a beach and isolating in a nice condo wasn't the worst but all the plans we had were a bust.  We managed to salvage one whole day before going home.  Three days of being extremely tired (and being loathe to admit that I was, indeed, actually that tired) and now going on my third prescription to get rid of a dry ticklish cough that makes me want to clear my throat 1,453 times a day.  Thankful it wasn't worse, that my diabetic husband's case was far milder than mine, and that since we weren't at home, we didn't expose our kids.  Rose-colored glasses. ;)

Do you know if you picked it up while on vacation?  I ask because I hear of so many people who get it while on vacation or come home from vacation and quickly get sick or test positive.  It’s making me wary of a vacation.  I’ve avoided one this summer due to several health issues, but I’m now wondering if I might just do a staycation instead.  

• Like 4
  • Love 1

Do you know if you picked it up while on vacation?  I ask because I hear of so many people who get it while on vacation or come home from vacation and quickly get sick or test positive.  It’s making me wary of a vacation.  I’ve avoided one this summer due to several health issues, but I’m now wondering if I might just do a staycation instead.  

Same thing here. My husband and I have only done staycations since the onset of the pandemic. This year, more than the last two summers, we are hearing of so many folks testing positive within days of returning home from vacation. I'm so tired of the pandemic, but not tired enough to take any extra risks. 

• Like 6
  • Love 1

I ask because I hear of so many people who get it while on vacation or come home from vacation and quickly get sick or test positive.

I think people really let their guard down when out of their usual territory. I live in a summer resort area and virtually no one (except me) wears a mask in crowded stores.  I know people are tired of precautions and want to pretend things are normal but they are obviously not.  A relative went to England and came down with Covid almost upon stepping off the plane.  Was the sickest she had ever been in her life and several weeks later has a cough that leaves her breathless 24/7.  Admits she never wore a mask even on the 9 hour flight ("too much trouble") and is now feeling foolish.

Not telling people not to travel but don't pretend things are back to 2019 normal.

• Like 3
  • Love 6

I’m still doing what I’ve always done with precautions. Except,  I did eat very quickly in a restaurant, the end of June, but there weren’t many people around.  Courts no longer require masks, but I still wear mine.  I did remove mine for about an hour during a recent hearing, because the judge was hard of hearing and I needed to express my position as effectively as possible and felt the mask prevented that. I’m the only person at church who still wears a mask, but I don’t mind.  I sit at least 6 feet from anyone.  Oh, I read the CDC had pulled their social distancing recommendation. They say it’s due to 95% of citizens being vaxed or previously having covid.  But, I don’t get that since the new variants aren’t hampered by either.  

• Like 4
  • Love 4
50 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I’m still doing what I’ve always done with precautions. Except,  I did eat very quickly in a restaurant, the end of June, but there weren’t many people around.  Courts no longer require masks, but I still wear mine.  I did remove mine for about an hour during a recent hearing, because the judge was hard of hearing and I needed to express my position as effectively as possible and felt the mask prevented that. I’m the only person at church who still wears a mask, but I don’t mind.  I sit at least 6 feet from anyone.  Oh, I read the CDC had pulled their social distancing recommendation. They say it’s due to 95% of citizens being vaxed or previously having covid.  But, I don’t get that since the new variants aren’t hampered by either.  

Sitting 6 feet from unmasked people is a good idea but also be aware that an infected, unmasked person may have sneezed in the direction of the paper towels in the public washroom.  You use that paper towel after you have washed your hands, then possibly put your hand to your mouth to eat something shortly after, thinking your hands are clean because you just washed them thoroughly.  There are so many ways the bacteria could be transferred it makes me dizzy.

• Love 2
18 minutes ago, ginger90 said:

Paper towels …..so many public restrooms with the trash can on the opposite side of the room from the door. 🤢

Long before Covid, I always carried tissues in my pocket or purse to use on the doorknob when exiting a public washroom, then dispose of the tissue in the nearest trash can outside.  I have seen far too many people use the facility then zoom out of the room without bothering to wash.  Once in a shopping mall, I encountered just such a person serving food in the food court!!!

• Mind Blown 4
  • Sad 1
  • Love 2

We had lunch out for the first time since March 2020, a couple of months ago.  The other diners were distanced from us, and me, with my hypochondria, sat by a window that I could open.  I remembered from years back that the restaurant had that featured.  It's long been a favorite place of ours since our daughter was young, and it was on the way to the campground that she summer-camped in the summertime, about an hour from our house, in the woods.  Vacations?  Not for us, not yet.  I'd just worry the whole time.  I really miss those beach vacations we used to take, sometimes for just a couple of nights.

Anyway, I still mask in stores of any kind.  The mandate was dropped earlier this year, but I don't care, I won't take risks.  We're old and have our share of health issues.

• Like 5
  • Love 6

I try to avoid public toilets, but if I can’t, I touch as little as possible.  I have my own tissues and don’t use their paper towels.  I still use my own sanitizer liberally when I’m out. I’m supposed to dine with a small group next weekend, but it’s outdoor seating,  Hopefully, the weather will cooperate.  

• Like 6
  • Applause 1

Still masking here. Have never touched a door handle in restroom since I can remember.  If no paper towel then use my own tissue.  I also don't use the automatic dryers because Mythbusters did a thing on them and they spread germs around.  My brother is flying from Oregon to Atlanta tomorrow to visit us.  I asked him if he was going to wear a mask.  Not sure.  I told him I wanted him to, and if he got sick from the trip it would ruin our visit. He said okay.  Then cousin called to say they are flying from NJ to seattle tomorrow to meet up with Sweet Son's brother and family for dinner and then cousin and wife going on cruise the next day.  No masks for him.  He has all his vaccinations as does his wife.  He doesn't like to be inconvenienced.  I said well if you don't mask and get sick on the plane it will ruin your trip (not to mention anyone else he might make sick).  He said he never thought of that.  Of course not.  But maybe he will do it.  Mr lookeyloo is flying from Atlanta to Philadelphia on Wednesday to help his elderly father move to assisted living.  He will wear a mask.

• Like 6
  • Love 1
8 hours ago, ginger90 said:

Paper towels …..so many public restrooms with the trash can on the opposite side of the room from the door. 🤢

If the door has a kick plate I use that.  I also never touch the door.  If necessary, I use the bottom of my shirt to open it.

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
  • Love 5

I mask up whenever I go out anywhere! ANYWHERE! I carry a small bottle of antiseptic when I go out and put it on my hands even after washing, I run the towel level twice so hopefully no exposure there. I spray my hands when back to the car. I may be obsessive but I haven't gotten covid at this point so far. I'm old 73, life could bite me in the b**** anytime but I am doing my best to stay as safe as I can...

• Like 4
  • Love 6

Out of curiosity (and a lot of nerves) just wondering if anyone else out here has experience with having a hysterectomy? After 6 years of struggling, one failed procedure to "fix" things the easy way and a partially successful laparoscopic procedure last year, it's time for more drastic measures and my surgery is scheduled for approx 10 hours from now... It's in the middle of the night here and it keeps me wide awake.....

• Mind Blown 1
  • Hugs 10

I had a hysterectomy in 1995. Best thing I ever did! I was bleeding each month like a stuck pig. I had already had my tubes tied in 1975 after dd was born. Was already having problems then and put up with them for another 20 years. Big mistake, wish I had done it sooner. Have never regretted it one minute. The dr left a small part of one ovary and I guess that is why I never needed hormone treatment. When I had breast cancer in 2013 if I had tested positive for the Brca gene they would have had to look for it and remove it. But was negative for Brca so all is still well in my world.

• Hugs 14
21 minutes ago, LilyD said:

Out of curiosity (and a lot of nerves) just wondering if anyone else out here has experience with having a hysterectomy? After 6 years of struggling, one failed procedure to "fix" things the easy way and a partially successful laparoscopic procedure last year, it's time for more drastic measures and my surgery is scheduled for approx 10 hours from now... It's in the middle of the night here and it keeps me wide awake.....

About 6 years ago I had a hysterectomy and an oophorectomy.  

Honestly, I regret having the surgery.  But that said, there are a lot of people that find relief from a hysterectomy.  If you feel good about your decision, I wouldn't worry too much about the surgery itself.

• Like 5
  • Hugs 3
1 hour ago, LilyD said:

Yes, in my early 30s. It was very much needed and while I was sad I would never have children I do not regret the procedure. No more pain!!! and especially not having to deal with a period every month.  I understand your concern and it is different for every woman but for me it was a very good thing. I will keep you in my thoughts tonight. 

• Like 5
  • Hugs 2
  • Love 4
8 hours ago, Ms.Lulu said:

About 6 years ago I had a hysterectomy and an oophorectomy.  

Honestly, I regret having the surgery.  But that said, there are a lot of people that find relief from a hysterectomy.  If you feel good about your decision, I wouldn't worry too much about the surgery itself.

I had an oopherectomy because of PCOS. The cysts were terrible and there was one main offender so, I had it taken out. Then anorexia happened (again) and the other one gave up. I haven’t had a period since 2007 and don’t miss that BS.

I am so ready for fall and sick of summer. Most of all I’m grateful to live in an area that even HAS fall, if this were AZ we’d be stuck with summer until the end of November. It’s already starting to cool at night on the south shore of Long Island (it was surprising to have lows in the 70s so far north). I’m ready for sweater, jeans and Uggs weather and for spaghetti squash (and squashes in general) and for hikes in fall colors. So over summer and the beach crowds. 

• Like 7
13 hours ago, oliviabenson said:

My neighbors got a Siberian husky. It cries if it’s home alone. My head hurts. A dog like that is not for a tiny apartment living. 

I can relate.  I’ve lived nearby several people who had incessantly barking dogs. It’s very stressful.  Most of the dogs barked, even when the owners were home.  It seemed they were oblivious to it. I think stuff like that bothers me more than most people.  Do the neighbors realize the dog is barking when they’re gone?  

• Like 1
  • Hugs 2
  • Love 5
9 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I can relate.  I’ve lived nearby several people who had incessantly barking dogs. It’s very stressful.  Most of the dogs barked, even when the owners were home.  It seemed they were oblivious to it. I think stuff like that bothers me more than most people.  Do the neighbors realize the dog is barking when they’re gone?  

Oh I HATE this. I get that dogs sometimes bark but when the barking is non-stop and they do NOTHING, it’s infuriating and incredibly rude. They should put a bark color on the dog if it cannot be quiet — no one wants to hear a dog barking all day all night.

We have a dog and are lucky he’s quiet (he won’t bark unless we ask him to). I wouldn’t tolerate an incessantly barking dog. 

• Like 7
  • Applause 1
On 8/13/2022 at 7:27 AM, SunnyBeBe said:

I actually started to lose my voice on a Saturday, the day before vacation, and tested myself just to see what was up and I was negative.  We left the next day, and that night - along with a sore throat - I realized that I couldn't taste my chocolate malt (the nerve of this stupid virus).  I had thrown in the rest of the test kit in my suitcase when I was packing and re-tested and came back positive immediately, as did my husband.  So I caught it right before vacation, who knows where.  I am not sure what we would've done if we'd tested positive the day before leaving...all in all, getting out of the house might have been the best thing to do, but had we known, I feel like it wouldn't have been the right thing to do.  One day made the difference - we were already there when we found out.

Speaking of barking dogs...our across the street neighbors have a cat, the literal sweetest cat I have ever known (and I grew up with cats).  She is declawed and I am 99% sure that my neighbors don't let her in at night, or they just don't worry about where she is.  My daughter felt bad and fed her once and now this cat is at our house constantly, trying to get in the door when we come outside, sitting on the window ledges meowing, sleeping on our cars and on the shelves of our garage (where she's been stuck inside twice that we know of, we didn't know she was hiding in there).  We have talked to the neighbor and he always says he'll try to keep her inside more (as she's declawed, idiot) but to no avail.  I am trying to decide if and when to call animal control.  I also - very vindictively - want to re-home her and wait for my neighbor to come over eventually and ask if I've seen his cat.  I probably won't do it....but some people should absolutely not have pets, period.  They need love and care, they are not some kind of Instagram status symbol.

/rant

Edited by laurakaye
  • Like 5
  • Love 7
2 hours ago, laurakaye said:

I actually started to lose my voice on a Saturday, the day before vacation, and tested myself just to see what was up and I was negative.  We left the next day, and that night - along with a sore throat - I realized that I couldn't taste my chocolate malt (the nerve of this stupid virus).  I had thrown in the rest of the test kit in my suitcase when I was packing and re-tested and came back positive immediately, as did my husband.  So I caught it right before vacation, who knows where.  I am not sure what we would've done if we'd tested positive the day before leaving...all in all, getting out of the house might have been the best thing to do, but had we known, I feel like it wouldn't have been the right thing to do.  One day made the difference - we were already there when we found out.

Speaking of barking dogs...our across the street neighbors have a cat, the literal sweetest cat I have ever known (and I grew up with cats).  She is declawed and I am 99% sure that my neighbors don't let her in at night, or they just don't worry about where she is.  My daughter felt bad and fed her once and now this cat is at our house constantly, trying to get in the door when we come outside, sitting on the window ledges meowing, sleeping on our cars and on the shelves of our garage (where she's been stuck inside twice that we know of, we didn't know she was hiding in there).  We have talked to the neighbor and he always says he'll try to keep her inside more (as she's declawed, idiot) but to no avail.  I am trying to decide if and when to call animal control.  I also - very vindictively - want to re-home her and wait for my neighbor to come over eventually and ask if I've seen his cat.  I probably won't do it....but some people should absolutely not have pets, period.  They need love and care, they are not some kind of Instagram status symbol.

/rant

Omg….the cat neighbor…….that’s infuriating.  I can’t imagine. I guess he doesn’t understand that you never allow a declawed cat outside.    I detest those who abuse or neglect children, animals and seniors.  I’ve taken in several pets who wandered up, due to owner neglect.  I get how your situation is complicated though.  I know people who have pets that they take no more interest in than a coat rack. 

• Like 3
  • Applause 2
  • Love 3

It's animal cruelty to keep a cat outdoors all the time, declawed or not. My sweet adopted girl was full of worms and fleas when I rescued her (she crossed over the rainbow bridge in early 2020 and I miss her dearly).  Worms cause all sorts of problems. Not to mention risks from predators, cars, etc.  

In my small NYC apartment building, we had an upstairs neighbor with the most adorable orange Pomeranian, who barked all day and night when the owners were not at home. It was very annoying and at the same time, I felt so sad for the poor lonely thing. Finally they moved out and we all breathed a sigh of relief. My other neighbor's dog barked, but only when people came in and out of the building (entrance was by her apt). Fortunately I'm on the 4th floor.  

• Sad 9

Hi guys, I’m doing fairly well considering surgery some 12 hours ago. Still in hospital, which for once was a good thing as I was in a lot of pain a few hours ago. Thank god for a kind nurse and a morphine shot! Honestly, I thought it would be easier than the two emergency c-sections I had 10 and 6 years ago. I had conveniently forgotten about the epidurals they left in until 24 hours after the c-sections. Something I didn’t have with a hysterectomy of course. Hopefully, I get to go home tomorrow. They say the pain will be mostly gone in a few days…

• Hugs 20
2 hours ago, LilyD said:

Hi guys, I’m doing fairly well considering surgery some 12 hours ago. Still in hospital, which for once was a good thing as I was in a lot of pain a few hours ago. Thank god for a kind nurse and a morphine shot! Honestly, I thought it would be easier than the two emergency c-sections I had 10 and 6 years ago. I had conveniently forgotten about the epidurals they left in until 24 hours after the c-sections. Something I didn’t have with a hysterectomy of course. Hopefully, I get to go home tomorrow. They say the pain will be mostly gone in a few days…

As I remember it does but you will probably be sore and stiff..I guess.. when I had mine it was done the old way they cut me open now the to it with keyhole surgery or through the vagina... I am not sure how that would change recovery. 

Edited by crazycatlady58
  • Useful 2
  • Love 2
23 hours ago, LilyD said:

Best wishes to you @LilyD for a smooth recovery from your surgery!

• Like 2
  • Hugs 4
  • Love 5

Those sites can be so helpful when dealing with health issues.  When I had my breast cancer back in 2013 I joined a Breast Cancer forum. Learned so much there and everyone's shared experiences helped us all!

24 minutes ago, Ms.Lulu said:

Hi LilyD,

I hope today was okay with not too much pain.  A bit of walking, a bit of resting, and maybe a pillow to hold against your tummy.

Here is a website that I used to ask questions and learn more about what I was feeling after my surgery.

https://www.hystersisters.com/

Those sites can be so helpful when dealing with health issues.  When I had my breast cancer back in 2013 I joined a Breast Cancer forum. Learned so much there and everyone's shared experiences helped us all!

• Like 2
  • Love 5
11 hours ago, Ms.Lulu said:

Hi LilyD,

I hope today was okay with not too much pain.  A bit of walking, a bit of resting, and maybe a pillow to hold against your tummy.

Here is a website that I used to ask questions and learn more about what I was feeling after my surgery.

https://www.hystersisters.com/

That's an amazing site with lots of good information! It even shows what to expect of recovery every week.  Thank you very much! 

• Hugs 1
  • Love 4

After reading this article, I thought of the song Big Yellow Taxi by Joni Mitchell…..”They paved paradise to put up a parking lot”…….This long time eatery near NC State campus and my office has been around a very long time.  They’ve finally sold out and will move to the first floor of a large building. Snoopy’s Hot Dogs sold out a couple of years ago.  It was around the corner.  I suppose we can’t stop progress.   Earlier in the week they reported how the old Arby’s sign on the same street has come down.  Oh, the memories.   I suppose it’s important to get all those signs down so the classy nightspots can take over.☹️   

https://www.wral.com/why-char-grill-on-hillsborough-street-is-selling-its-land/20400386/

• Sad 3

I'm gonna need a site like that for upcoming eye surgery. I know it's considered no big deal, but with my other health issues I'm not thrilled about having to have cataract surgery in a couple months. Would do it sooner but I couldn't get an appt with the surgeon til late Sept. I had a very tiny cataract that blew up a few months ago, my regular eye doc thinks it's probably due to a medication I'm taking for my auto-immune inflammation. Sigh...

• Hugs 6

@Teafortwo I had the Cataract surgery in May and June. They give you fantastic meds and you don't feel anything during surgery. The biggest nuisance was putting the drops in the eye every 4 hours. I didn't have any bothersome pain after the surgeries. Hopefully it will go as well for you.

Vision was greatly improved after! 

• Like 3
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 3
On 8/14/2022 at 5:31 PM, LilyD said:

I found it to be pretty easy.  I felt great afterward, and I did not have much recovery pain at all.  Follow the instructions from your doctor about lifting, and don't overdo.  You will feel tired, and that will last for a while.  Just plan to nap when you need to.  It is a good time to catch up on reading that book you haven't had time to read, and to catch up on your favorite tv programs.  I made sure to walk every morning.  I made it to the end of my sidewalk the first day or two,  then to the end of the driveway, then to the corner and back, and finally I was able to walk around the block.  You won't have much energy at first, but it comes back quickly.  I started teaching a new school year 6 weeks after my surgery.  Good luck to you, and just be sure to take care of yourself.

• Love 9