Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E03: Chapter Twenty-Five

Jane and Rafael try to plan Mateo's baptism. Meanwhile, Petra's news still has Rafael bewildered; Jane must make a tough decision about attending a graduate program; Xo helps Rogelio face his past; and Rogelio gives Michael advice about Jane.

I love Rogelio and Michael. Whoever came up with pairing them together in so many scenes was brilliant. They even have a secret handshake!

I love how Petra legitimately has "sleep with Russian Oligarch, convince him its his baby, and movie to Russia" as a legitimate possible plan. And her happy dance is so ridiculous. 

Jane might be a good narrator, but don't worry, Latin Lover narrator. Your still the only narrator of my heart. 

• Love 10

Mateo is such a pretty baby.

Petra might be sort of evil, but I loved her assertive, let's-get-this-figured-out approach to the whole thing during her scene with Rafael and Jane. I'm a sucker for bad girls having redeeming moments, so I'm looking forward to having some softer Petra moments as the pregnancy develops.

The "what the f-- church bell!" moment was funny.

I'm loving Michael lately.

I'm pretty tired of the Sin Rostro plot. I don't mind them having a villain so they can have some sort of OTT criminal mastermind plot, but it irks me that for almost half the show said villain has been off screen, being mentioned repeatedly, but only seeing her in short, mysterious calls or fantasies.

"Luciana" is played by some Mexican telenovela actress, isn't she? I've seen her in telenovela commercials, though I think I've never seen one of hers.

What is the difference between sociopath and psychopath? 

"Luciana" is played by some Mexican telenovela actress, isn't she? I've seen her in telenovela commercials, though I think I've never seen one of hers.

Luciana was played by the Mexican actress Kate del Castillo, whom you may have seen as Pilar in Weeds in addition to her telenovela work.  She was fabulous in both roles.

I really love Rogelio, and am greatly enjoying this very clever season.   

Edited by kitkat343
  • Love 1

What is the difference between sociopath and psychopath?

I don't believe there is a difference.  "Sociopath," "psychopath" and "anti-social personality disorder" are all basically the same thing.

"Sociopaths, in general, tend to be more impulsive and erratic in their behavior than their psychopath counterparts. While also having difficulties in forming attachments to others, some sociopaths may be able to form an attachment to a like-minded group or person. Unlike psychopaths, most sociopaths don't hold down long-term jobs or present much of a normal family life to the outside world.

When a sociopath engages in criminal behavior, they may do so in an impulsive and largely unplanned manner, with little regard for the risks or consequences of their actions. They may become agitated and angered easily, sometimes resulting in violent outbursts. These kinds of behaviors increase a sociopath's chances of being apprehended."

(from here: http://psychcentral.com/blog/archives/2015/02/12/differences-between-a-psychopath-vs-sociopath/)

Both fall under the anti-social banner, apparently.

Edited by Mystical chick
  • Love 1

Okay, aside from the glorious trifecta of Jane, Xiomara, and Alba, I think my favorite relationship is between Rogelio and Michael. They're just so ridiculously goofy.

I love Rogelio and Michael. Whoever came up with pairing them together in so many scenes was brilliant. They even have a secret handshake!

Just adding to the Rogelio and Michael love!

• Love 1

While I am still Team Michael, I think most of all I'm Team Villanueva. Dang, that letter at the baptism made me tear up, and then I teared up again when Xiomara and Alba told Jane to go for her dream, that they had her back. I just love those three women. 

• Love 7

So, does anyone have any ideas about that Rogelio video Luciana is using for black mail? A sex tape seems like it's too obvious.

Yeah, I think so, too. Something humiliating that would hurt his ego, and that we probably can't even imagine.

I don't believe there is a difference.  "Sociopath," "psychopath" and "anti-social personality disorder" are all basically the same thing.

I ask because both Luisa and the CSI dude in the last episode made the distinction when talking about Rose: that she's a sociopath, as if that's better somehow. I guess because then she can love Luisa for real? Thanks to the person that brought the definition, frankly that sounds terrible. 

I'm pretty tired of the Sin Rostro plot. I don't mind them having a villain so they can have some sort of OTT criminal mastermind plot, but it irks me that for almost half the show said villain has been off screen, being mentioned repeatedly, but only seeing her in short, mysterious calls or fantasies.

Basically every time they bring up something about Rose or Sin Rostro I go "Oh, right, that's a thing" and then have to walk back the entire subplot in my head. To be honest, I don't even really remember what her agenda is. That might just be me being dumb, though.

• Love 1

Sin Rostro always seems tacked on to me. Like Ames, above, I have to search my brain file cabinets for the one labeled "is that a thing?" because I just don't care. Luisa and Rose are the two on this show I can do without but recognize it can't be all man candy, cute babies and Villaneuva family love (plus bonus Rogelio ring tones!). 

Also, I don't know about Rafael, but *I* am overwhelmed trying to think about how he's going to manage 2 babies between 2 mothers. (Not a Petra fan but she does keep it interesting!)

My guess about the Rogelio tape is that it's some sort of old audition tape that is really bad. I think the date said 2001.

Still team Michael. As always Raphael has too much drama in his own life to pay attention to what is really going on in Jane's.

• Love 2

I think that was a mix up with those definitions.

Sociopaths tend to be cold, calculated, incredibly emotionally manipulative, have little or no empathy, obsessed with control over events and people, very duplicitous and at time quite promiscuous. They tend to be great pretenders, that is, can fake any emotion.

Psychopaths on the other hand tend to be emotionally unstable, rash, prone to violent behavior that isn't planned, they like instant gratification. Easily lose control and their temper. Unlike sociopaths they have emotions but have a warped view of the world.

That is why Rose is a sociopath and not a psychopath. Sociopath are planners, masterminds and a lot of CEO's, lawyers,...

And easy example (as I'm watching Person of Interest right now) is that Root is a psychopath, while Shaw is a type of sociopath.

Basically, a psychopath can kill you randomly, while a sociopath can ruin your life in more ways them one.

Of course, there are even further distinctions and specifics but I don't really know them. There are different types of psychopath and sociopath, and not all of them have to have all the characteristics. It's a ll a mixture or nature (genetics and brain chemistry) and nurture (your environment and life experience). Various combinations can happen.

And I'm not even sure if psychologists even use these terms any more to describe various personality disorders as they now days tend to be too broad.

Edited by tanita
  • Love 3

Sin Rostro always seems tacked on to me. Like Ames, above, I have to search my brain file cabinets for the one labeled "is that a thing?" because I just don't care. Luisa and Rose are the two on this show I can do without but recognize it can't be all man candy, cute babies and Villaneuva family love (plus bonus Rogelio ring tones!).

I think SR worked well in the first 13 episodes, but after that it feels to me like you say: tacked on. Like they're always trying to come up with ways to keep that plot alive, even though it shouldn't be anymore if they're not willing to even show SR's face. Right now I don't really give a shit about the new villain either, for the same reason.

I don't mind Rose and Luisa if they actually have something to do that feels organic to the show, but like SR, it's like they keep insisting to paste Luisa on the show in forced ways.

• Love 1

Another pretty strong episode, I'd say.

I agree that the Sin Rostro plot seems tacked on. I guess I'm getting pretty tired of it, because we hardly see Rose and now that Bridget Reagan may not be Rose anymore, I'm just not interested. I also feel like they feel the need to have Luisa in some sort of plot, but I'm ok with her not really being a thing, though I actually do like her. And the "I will have sex with your wife!" was priceless. 

I do like Rafael and I do like Michael. Right now, I like single mother Jane, though I had to wonder why she couldn't let Rafael take care of Mateo while she's in school. It's not like she'll be in school all day every day. From what I gather, she only needs to take one or two courses and those will only be a few hours a week, max. She also has her mom and abuela to help out. But I guess I get that grad school, once it starts, will be a whole lot more time consuming. I was thoroughly surprised when Jane said she was back in grad school, though. I thought for sure, the advisor would be turned off by her constant calls. 

Rogelio and Michael are awesome as a team, and I love how Michael ended up hating Rogelio's advice and giving Jane the diary. 

Not sure how I'll like this Luciana storyline. I worry, but I do like how they got Xo's jealousy out of the way this episode.

The letter at the baptism was awesome and I loved every moment of it.

I laughed at Petra's second plan, and I loved the little dream sequences of Petra and Rafael's baby, as well as older Mateo. I really like Petra and how she resigned herself to the fact that her and Rafael wouldn't happened...followed by finding out that Rafael and Jane aren't together and her jumping back on board. It actually shows a lot that as soon as she found out about Rafael not having feelings for her, she would have backed off and accepted Jane as a co-parent. 

And I can't get enough of baby Mateo. I love that they have him onscreen for almost half of the episode. He's so adorable and I cannot wait to see Petra and Rafael's baby. 

• Love 1

Mateo is the cutest baby ever. He makes my uterus want another baby when I swore I would stop at two.

I love Petra. She's my favorite bumbling villain ever. I want her to go through with the Russian oligarch plan just because it's such a great plan.

• Love 3

My guess about the Rogelio tape is that it's some sort of old audition tape that is really bad. I think the date said 2001.

That was my first thought, too.

Poor Rafael, he cannot catch a break. 

Petra is one of those character that one loves to hate. She can be endearing one second and make me go, "Aw, poor Petra" and the next second I want to punch her in the face for her machiavelic ways. Kudos to the actress!

That speech at the baptism was beautiful, and I really enjoyed how they had the three women at different life stages recite it. It was very touching. Gina Rodriguez looked like she was really crying (and if she was not, boy oh boy was it convincing).

Luisa/Rose/New vilain... I don't know, and while I find it entertaining, I cannot spend time trying to understand or guess what's happening.

I LOVED what Jane said to Rafael RE: Petra's baby. It was a really touching scene, two people, however involved with one another, trying to make the best of a really freaking weird situation.

And Petra's happy dance? While really freaking cute, Jane's was better (with bouncy Matteo!)

Of course Petra managed to get pregnant. We need maximum drama. Know what would be even MORE dramatic? If Scott swapped out the sperm for his own nefarious reasons. Maybe Petra's baby will have some other biodad, and the paternity will be used to manipulate her somehow, and meanwhile Raf's last sample is miraculously preserved for another day.

Michael is definitely being a better partner to Jane, but Rafael hasn't had a fair chance at all. He is SWAMPED with massive distractions and problems. Poor guy. I want him to end up with a nice stable happy family life, even if it's with someone other than Jane and with shared custody of Mateo and maybe Petra's baby. He can't seem to catch a break.

I'm glad we saw Lina at the baptism. I hate it when shows forget that their main characters once had other friends ahemMindyProjectahem.

I think the only way a sex tape would embarass Rogelio is if he suffered erectile dysfunction or something. My guess is that it shows bad acting or him with a zit or something.

• Love 5
That speech at the baptism was beautiful, and I really enjoyed how they had the three women at different life stages recite it. It was very touching.

I was expecting them to never reveal what the letter actually said, because nothing could live up to the anticipation. And then they actually did reveal it, and it totally DID live up to the hype! It also made me like Alba a lot more. She comes off badly sometimes, like with the whole "destroyed flower" nonsense, but for her to want her daughters to be bold, etc-- it shows there's a lot more to her than slut-shaming, an maybe her harsh sexual morality is even the thing that's a little out of character.

RE Luisa's plot.... I thought "mutter" was mother, not murder. Also, she's really kind of a dimwit, isn't she? Her "bad day" when she inseminated Jane by mistake now seems like more of a typical day than an anomaly.

Edited by possibilities
  • Love 2

I so love this show; it makes me laugh out loud, which is no easy feat.

I am amazed that they have Baby Mateo on screen for half of the episode. Usually babies are mentioned but rarely seen.

Loved Alba pushing Xo back to Rogelio by telling her that it is time to stop running at the first hint of disaster. Lot of character growth from Xo so far.

Magda cracks me up.

• Love 1

RE Luisa's plot.... I thought "mutter" was mother, not murder. Also, she's really kind of a dimwit, isn't she? Her "bad day" when she inseminated Jane by mistake now seems like more of a typical day than an anomaly.

I thought for sure she was going to take off one of her heels and use it to stab the sleeping kidnapper in the eye, then make her getaway. But -- nope, that's not something Luisa would think of. And of course she would think that Rose having her kidnapped was kind of romantic. Oh, Luisa.

• Love 1
kirinan, on 27 Oct 2015 - 3:10 PM, said:

While I am still Team Michael, I think most of all I'm Team Villanueva. Dang, that letter at the baptism made me tear up, and then I teared up again when Xiomara and Alba told Jane to go for her dream, that they had her back. I just love those three women. 

I'm not team Michael but I am very Team Villanueva.   They are the best part of this show for me.  I'm so sick of love triangles.  Plus, this show does not do a good job of balancing the two sides.  Last season seemed to be more Jane/Rafael, this season seems to be Jane/Michael.  I don't like how they keep playing up how Michael "knows" Jane, but never acknowledge that Rafael hasn't had the same time to get to know her.  Michael had two "normal" years of the two of them.  Rafael's had 9 months of crazy.  Not balanced at all.  If they are really going to do this triangle thing (damn CW), they really need to show both sides fairly.

I really wish they hadn't done the Petra pregnancy story line, unless it turns out not to be Rafael's.  I know this is a telanova but damn...

• Love 7

It also made me like Alba a lot more. She comes off badly sometimes, like with the whole "destroyed flower" nonsense, but for her to want her daughters to be bold, etc-- it shows there's a lot more to her than slut-shaming, an maybe her harsh sexual morality is even the thing that's a little out of character.

Yeah that's the one thing stopping me from fully embracing her. That's why I'm glad Jane's baby is a boy. You know Alba's not going to give HIM that crushed flower speech. It would have been awful to think of her damaging and warping yet another little girl's mind.

Edited by LaJefaza
  • Love 4

I was bothered that no one in Jane's inner circle told her that it was okay to stay home with Mateo. I'm not saying that she shouldn't go to grad school. It did seem, though, that she wanted both things equally, yet no one said, "Hey, if you want to postpone grad school, that's cool, too." It was made clear that she could start school next year, so the option shouldn't have been dismissed so easily.

• Love 2

But it wasn't grad school that she was freaking out about, right? It was that prerequisite class she had to make up before she could formally enroll grad school. So they were basically recommending that she spend the 3'ish hours a week it would take to attend the class so she'll have the option to consider grad school.

Edited by Hamatron
  • Love 3

It's very early on but it is going to occur to Rafael to do a paternity test at some point, right? He shouldn't trust Petra at all, not to mention that the sample shouldn't have been viable and I wouldn't have put it past Rafael's assistant to have made his own donation, and she's really pregnant by him. You would think that the situation would have led to even one comment from Rafael about Petra's previous pregnancy this week, between the doctor's visit and the weighing of the options for dealing with the new pregnancy.

• Love 5

But it wasn't grad school that she was freaking out about, right? It was that prerequisite class she had to make up before she could formally enroll grad school. So they were basically recommending that she spend the 3'ish hours a week it would take to attend the class so she'll have the option to consider grad school.

The pre-req class and grad school were pretty much one and the same. Once she accepted that, she'd be accepting the other. She's already in the grad school program, of course she can drop out but Jane isn't really the take four months of one class and drop out type.

I was bothered that no one in Jane's inner circle told her that it was okay to stay home with Mateo. I'm not saying that she shouldn't go to grad school. It did seem, though, that she wanted both things equally, yet no one said, "Hey, if you want to postpone grad school, that's cool, too." It was made clear that she could start school next year, so the option shouldn't have been dismissed so easily.

Sure, staying home is an option but what about the financials of staying home?  If she's in grad school, she can likely get financial aid.  If she starts working, she'd get that money.  But can they afford her staying home?

I'm surprised that's one thing that was never discussed.  I'm sure Rafael would support her and Mateo but that didn't seem to go over well when he discussed it last season.  Xo doesn't seem to have regular work.  Can Alba support them all?  Rogelio?  Staying at home is going to require taking money from someone.

And does she think she's never going to have to leave Mateo if she doesn't go to school?  Given the situation she's in where she and the father don't live together, there are going to be days where she doesn't have Mateo. 

Which I think comes up in the next ep.

Edited by Irlandesa

I think she was okay with going back to work or school eventually -- that was the plan all along -- but what she was struggling with was taking that one class during what she viewed as her maternity leave time.

• Love 4

I think she was okay with going back to work or school eventually -- that was the plan all along -- but what she was struggling with was taking that one class during what she viewed as her maternity leave time.

Exactly. She thought it was too early to leave Mateo- she had already mentally prepared herself to either go to grad school or go back to work when Mateo was around 4 months old. I get what a struggle it is to leave your baby at home, but I hope Jane gets less neurotic. She's starting to grate, and it's only three hours a week? She's lucky to have family watch him- most have to rely on a stranger which must be nerve racking.

Rogelio and Michael are awesome. And Michael is great with being there for Jane- do guys like that really exist out there?

I also laughed when Lena was indeed dressed up like Madonna in the Like A Prayer video. Hilarious!

That mommy and me class looks terrifying.

Edited by twoods
  • Love 1

Petra might be sort of evil but I loved her assertive let's-get-this-figured-out approach to the whole thing during her scene with Raphael and Jane. . I'm a sucker for bad girls having redeeming moments, so I'm looking forward to having some softer moments as the pregnancy develops.

I respectfully disagree. Petra's stealing Raphael's sperm sample in order to get pregnant in the hopes of getting Raphael back is not only evil, it's pathetic. Forcing another baby on Raphael is bad enough, but Petra's doing it for the wrong reasons, which will not only hurt Raphael, it will eventually hurt the baby. Petra has proven time and time again that she can't be trusted, especially when it comes to Raphael. She has not only cheated/cheated on Raphael, she drugged him and tried to frame him for domestic violence. It would serve Petra right if the baby wasn't Raphael's after all. Hopefully Karma will make a Happy meal out of Petra's ass way sooner than later.

Impish Dragon:  ITA re the love triangles. Michael's OK, but just because he's known Jane longer, that doesn't necessarily mean he's better for her. By the same token, just because Raphael is Mateo's father, that doesn't mean that he & Jane belong together. If the love triangles must exist, then both guys should be treated fairly.

• Love 5

The world lit pre-req class is an intensive summer class. I imagine it's far more than three hours a week. The local university here does two-week summer intensive classes that meet 8-10 hours a week (two hours a day, four or five days a week). (There are also some with less hours per week, but more weeks.)

With the kind of familial support Jane has, she could have someone go to campus with her and have Mateo and that person hang out in a campus coffee shop nearby while she's in class. She's going to have to think creatively and critically to get through grad school. I know many amazing women who have done it, but they know how to allow their support system to be active members of their children's lives.

• Love 2

I'm not team Michael but I am very Team Villanueva.   They are the best part of this show for me.  I'm so sick of love triangles.  Plus, this show does not do a good job of balancing the two sides.  Last season seemed to be more Jane/Rafael, this season seems to be Jane/Michael.  I don't like how they keep playing up how Michael "knows" Jane, but never acknowledge that Rafael hasn't had the same time to get to know her.  Michael had two "normal" years of the two of them.  Rafael's had 9 months of crazy.  Not balanced at all.  If they are really going to do this triangle thing (damn CW), they really need to show both sides fairly.

I really wish they hadn't done the Petra pregnancy story line, unless it turns out not to be Rafael's.  I know this is a telanova but damn...

I think that is kinda the point: Michael actively tries to get to know Jane where as Rafael and Jane get caught up in the moment. IMO, Rafael seems more focused on having his dream family than investing Jane as a person. I think he loves certain parts about her, but he doesn't "know" her because he sees her as a piece of the puzzle and not actually as her own stand alone piece. She's the mother of his Jane rather than a person apart from that.

• Love 2

I disagree with that.  We've seen them spend time trying to get to know one another.  Jane gets obsessed over little details and strange tests like saying she's going to give up writing and wanting Rafael to tell her she's wrong.  (I can't even begin to tell you how much I legitimately hate that.) 

• Love 1

I'm not saying that Rafael isn't trying to get to know her at all or doesn't know a thing about her because that's false, but his interests in her circles back to him having a family of his own. I think he likes her and may even love her, but I do believe that is motivated by Mateo and trying to have this family life he didn't have growing up. He consistently uses Mateo as a reason for them to be together rather than how they feel about each other. Like he flat out told her, "What about Mateo" before the fight incident when she said or it was implied that she'd chosen Michael. Due to the driving force behind him wanting to be with Jane, I question his feelings.

• Love 1

There were two periods in Rafael's relationship with Jane.  There was Rafael pre-learning that his mother basically sold him for 10 million dollars.  That Rafael was more laid back about the relationship.  More optimistic.  More encouraging.  More willing to sooth things when Jane obsessed over the little things.  Sure, they were having a child together and it mattered but I always felt the focus was on building something with Jane.

Things changed when he found out that his mother sold him.  That's when he became less secure about the relationship and then more focused the idea of a perfect family. I think his feelings for Jane were and are genuine.  They're just getting wrapped up in his misguided sense of failure.

• Love 4

IMO, he's always been obsessed with the idea of a perfect family even before the thing with his mother happened, he was just more patient then. Isn't this something that Petra verbalized and why she was scheming to get pregnant? I do believe he was building something with Jane, but I also believe it centered around the fact that she was having his kid. Guys have flat out told me that they would make it work with the woman they are having a child with. They said they'd marry her and also said they can grow to love her. I think he genuinely likes her, but I wants and insta-family and he makes rash decisions not just marriage. Once something in his head, his mind is made up.

• Love 1

^^^ I disagree.  Rafael was definitely in favor of creating a nuclear family after he an Jane got together, but I wouldn't call it obsessed.  He was excited, but before he and Jane got together he didn't seem to think it was the only way go.   And he may have been very concerned with the idea about getting it right.  But that, to me anyway, seemed about being aware that his own family model was not what he wanted for his child.

After his father's death and his mother's bombshell, Rafael was totally thrown off course. I do think he's shown more anxiety about it since he's noticed Jane emotionally pulling away.  However, I think that has more to do with the combined factors of his father's death, his mother's admission she basically sold him, and the realization that it may not work out.

• Love 3

I don't think anyone thinks his family was a good model for anything, but he tends to go in the overkill category when he's feeling a certain way, but I don't know whether or not I'd attribute that to his father.

Michael has his job to deal with. Rafael has had a cascading waterfall of crazy rain down on his head in the last nine months. At one stage he was barely treading water. The idea that somehow Michael is better because he has more time for Jane IMHO kind of ignores what Raf has been dealing with. My overwhelming impression (totally subjective of course) from the back half of last season was that Jane was the one not being supportive enough of him.

They've done a lot with Michael this season and I love every minute he's on screen. He and Rogelio are hilarious. But a potential love interest? Nope. To me, he and Jane have very much a best friend vibe.

While I love Jane, freaking out over summer school felt more like a hormonal postpartum reaction than anything else (combined with someone screwing up her carefully planned schedule). I know her baby is only three weeks old, but even if this summer school class was five days a week, it wouldn't be more than a few hours a day. She has Xiomara and Alba to watch Mateo while she's in class. It's not like they said she had to do field research in another country for a year. Babies sleep a lot when they're that young so she could feed him right before she left for class and he might be asleep the whole time she was gone.

I don't mean to minimize her feelings or her desire to be around Mateo while he's still an infant, but the amount of time she would be gone for class is less than the length of a 3 week old baby's afternoon nap. And if she and Rafael are sharing custody, there will be times when she does miss things because Mateo is with his dad. Hell, even if you're a stay at home mom sometimes you miss stuff. As Xiomara and Alba pointed out, that doesn't make you a bad mother. Being a mom doesn't mean staring at your child 24/7 in case he blinks. If anything, getting out of the house and having some time for yourself a few times a week is a good thing!

I don't know the exact requirements for Jane's summer intensive class, but I took several summer school classes during my college years. Some of them were as short as five weeks but the only ones that required three hours per day were the ones that met once a week, so I'm pretty sure that Jane's class would only be 1-2 hours per day (and most likely meet 2-3 times per week).

I loved what Alba wrote for Xiomara's baptism. Heh, like the above poster, I must choose to ignore Alba's flower crushing stuff in moments like that.

I am fine with Luisa sticking around as a character but I wish they would do it in a way that doesn't require us to keep going back to the Sin Rostro stuff.

Rogelio and Michael totally crack me up. I love their bromance. I'm glad that Michael realized Rogelio's macho macho man approach didn't work for him or Jane. Hee, I also loved Michael and Rogelio insisting that they didn't have diaries and Lina and Xiomara explaining that's EXACTLY what they were. Lina's Like a Prayer look was awesome.