Type keyword(s) to search

Game Of Thrones In The Media

• Start Topic

On May 3, 2016 at 4:46 PM, Umbelina said:

I liked it too, especially these: 

and

Because, yup.

GRRM has always said that the real story is about the Others and that war and that the politics and fighting for the ugly throne are irrelevant in the grand scheme of things. We've had the politics take up the majority of the books and show. We've been shown every single evil side of humanity while they've fought for power and imagined slights losing good characters who never deserved their fates along the way getting little to no victories for the good guys. 

I'm glad that the good guys got a small victory with Jon waking up. It's rare that the good characters can get a small victory after all the hits that they've taken in such a depressing time. I'm sick of the politics especially after the war of the five kings. I'm sick of the pettiness, the rapes, unfairness that we've gotten for 5 seasons and 5 books. I'm sick of the hopelessness of the books. So it's nice that we can get that tiny joy of Jon waking up even if it might be temporary. 

• Love 1

This guy has a kind of annoying voice, but it's interesting the way he spots book/show nods and possibly the slight inclusion of stories not being told on the show.  Obviously, book spoilers (if there are any left.)

Thanks for that, GrailKing. I love Sophie interviews, she's just so cute and funny. 

I also love her answer about why she lied to Jon. I like the idea of her wanting to be in charge, taking power. 

1 hour ago, Minneapple said:

Thanks for that, GrailKing. I love Sophie interviews, she's just so cute and funny. 

I also love her answer about why she lied to Jon. I like the idea of her wanting to be in charge, taking power. 

I chuckled when the interviewer spoiled the episode for her.

• Love 1

I am really curious (I am thinking this would be the best place to put this inquire)... if the show runners would ever consider a "prequel" of Game of Thrones, of everything they could have shown. ie: the Mad King Reign, Greyjoy Rebellion/Robert's Rebellion, and the like. like they wanted us to see some things but it was cut out - they are showing us a few things through Bran's warging.. just wondering if after season 8 they go. okay. now let's show everything to just before season 1, episode 1. 

• Love 3
On 5/25/2016 at 1:00 AM, GrailKing said:

I chuckled when the interviewer spoiled the episode for her.

Also hilarious that she watches the show, and yet doesn't get HBO/Sky. You would think that they could hook her up.

Sean T. Collins at Vulture has a really interesting article on why GoT changed the "broken man" speech:

What Game of Thrones Changed About Its Big Antiwar Speech, and Why It Matters

Excerpt:

Now, you don’t need to believe that Game of Thrones is cynical to agree with the idea that its world is a harsh one; the argument in its favor is that, well, so is our own, and if you don’t believe that, there’s a drone war in Yemen that demands your attention, just for starters. Moreover, there’s a danger in engaging art through a morally prescriptive lens. If we insist upon optimism, if we demand amoral or immoral behavior constantly be labeled as such with big block letters, we’re asking for art that lets us off the hook — a Goofus and Gallant world where we can coast on “Who, me? I would never!” Such simplification of complicated ideas does more of a disservice to social justice than the art its practitioners often decry.

[...]

But there’s more to the episode than just one sequence, and more context than just the relevant passage in the books. Much else in “The Broken Man” mitigates the apparent justification of vengeance and violence that the Hound’s hand on that axe suggests...

I guess this goes here, though I'm still trying to decipher which "uncle" is being referred to:

Anthony Scaramucci, a New York financier who was one of Romney’s top funders in 2012, came to Park City seeking to galvanize his old friends to help him raise money for Trump. He likened the atmosphere here to the hit HBO series “Game of Thrones.”

“I feel like Jon Snow, trying to get the Wildlings to team up with the kings of the castles,” Scaramucci said.

Recalling what he told Romney loyalists, Scaramucci said: “Your father just got slayed by your uncle, whom you don’t really like, and your uncle is now in charge. You’ve got the White Walkers descending from the north and they’re coming to hunt you and all the living. What do you do? Do you fight with your uncle or band together and fight the White Walkers?”

Romney made clear he would rather fight his uncle, figuratively speaking.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/romney-loyalists-divisions-over-trump-spill-out-into-the-open-at-utah-summit/2016/06/11/700ab4a4-3000-11e6-9b37-42985f6a265c_story.html

20 minutes ago, thuganomics85 said:

Show could lose a sizable amount of funding in Ireland apparently, thanks to the Brexit vote Thursday night.  I wonder if they will have to find new locations now, or if it will all work out in the end.

Gosh! I love the media and how they'll talk out of their assess if it will get them clicks.  I'm disappointed Leave won, but that doesn't mean anything in the immediate future of the already existing deals.  It will take at least two years for the UK to actually leave the EU, draft new laws, pass them, put them into effect, make new trade treaties, and so much more.

GOT only has two seasons left, and it will probably not take two years to film it, even though HBO will take two years to air it, because there are only 13 episodes left.  So, no, the results of Brexit will not affect GOT.

• Love 1
9 hours ago, WearyTraveler said:

So, no, the results of Brexit will not affect GOT.

It depends. The European Regional Development Fund, an EU body that provides some of the financing, might not want to invest in the project for a departing member. Even before everything is final.

If I were an official in the EU, I wouldn't be giving Britain money for those kinds of projects.

(edited)

It's a blurry line currently I'm sure, but they are probably to some extent obliged to follow EU policies while the negotiations are happening, so they might have no legal recourse to deny them funding either while they are technically still in the EU.

I'd be very surprised if filming for this season was delayed or if they moved locations. The *most* I could see happening is moving to another studio somewhere in Ireland, but even so... I think it's too late in the process (this year anyway) to do anything about it. My bet is that they just push forward, apply for all the funding they've had access to in the past, and hope for the best.

ETA: Ah, here we go - turns out it won't matter at all.

http://www.ew.com/article/2016/06/24/brexit-game-thrones

“We do not anticipate that the result of the EU Referendum will have any material effect on HBO producing Game of Thrones.” 

Edited by Audreythe2nd
  • Love 1
On ‎6‎/‎22‎/‎2016 at 4:00 PM, SimoneS said:

According to the article below, Peter Dinklage (Tyrion Lannister), Kit Harington (Jon Snow), Lena Headey (Cersei Lannister), Emilia Clarke (Daenerys Targaryen) and Nikolaj Coster-Waldau (Jaime Lannister) will all be paid north of $500,000 per episode next season.

https://www.yahoo.com/tv/game-thrones-stars-set-potential-230853132.html

Woof.  That's a lot of nougat for filming what amounts to an hour or two of screen time per year.

If you're tempted to take "The Hardest GoT Quiz" on Zimbio, don't waste your time.  107 pages/photos of characters, takes forever, 98% obvious, and a boatload of cookies from every fourth or fifth photo being an ad.  Identifying which handmaiden was "Irri" was about the only time they made it difficult.

On ‎6‎/‎22‎/‎2016 at 4:00 PM, SimoneS said:

According to the article below, Peter Dinklage (Tyrion Lannister), Kit Harington (Jon Snow), Lena Headey (Cersei Lannister), Emilia Clarke (Daenerys Targaryen) and Nikolaj Coster-Waldau (Jaime Lannister) will all be paid north of $500,000 per episode next season.

https://www.yahoo.com/tv/game-thrones-stars-set-potential-230853132.html

Woof.  That's a lot of nougat for filming what amounts to an hour or two of screen time per year.

If you're tempted to take "The Hardest GoT Quiz" on Zimbio, don't waste your time.  107 pages/photos of characters, takes forever, 98% obvious, and a boatload of cookies from every fourth or fifth photo being an ad.  Identifying which handmaiden was "Irri" was about the only time they made it difficult.

36 minutes ago, candall said:

While it looks like a big increase, when you factor in the reduced episodes next season it's not really that much of a boost. It's a nice boost but not as much as it looks just reading they are getting an increase of $200 000 an episode.

Let's assume that someone appeared in all 10 episodes of season 6, they would get 3 million bucks for their effort (which yes it still a lot). But if you assume the same person will appear in all 7 episodes of Season 7 they end up getting 3.5 million bucks for their efforts. So really it's 'only' a $500 000 wage increase as opposed to $1.5 million dollar increase they would have got with 10 episodes.

REDUCED EPISODES???????  Not even ten?!  I love and hate this show.

Re the salary, I figure they filmed all of Tyrion's scenes in Mereen at one time--maybe a week?  Probably same with Cersei and Jamie Lannister?  Good net figure for them.  Okay, Jon Snow had a tougher row to hoe this year.  : )

(edited)

So, in the middle of a very clickbaity and spoilery article 10 facts about Jon Snow's father Spoiler McSpoiler (forgot to say - the article has AUTOPLAY of the relevant scene from the episode) we have an artist's impression of aforementioned spoiler.

Spoiler

Guys, someone tell me you see it too. This is just Jaqen H'ghar (or at least Tom Wlaschiha, the actor who portrays him) with a blond dye-job and fancy ruby-inlaid armor, right? A Man needs a shave before attempting Dragon Prince cosplay.

-rhaegar-image-1042518.jpg

Edited by arjumand
  • Love 3