Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E05: Meet Bonnie

Asher has more questions than answers when it comes to working for Annalise. Meanwhile, Frank deals with a matter that hits close to home; and Wes has a dangerous confrontation during his quest to learn more about Rebecca's disappearance.

Hey!  Heeeeey!  The judge was Ms. Klugh from LOST!  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/April_Grace

I guess Bonnie knows (and always knew?!) everything about how Sam died?!

Do I even care about this shit anymore, I can't believe I forgot to DVR Nathan For You.  Time to take off Nate's clothes.  (I honestly do feel bad objectifying that actor.  How do I make up for it?  Should we petition to give him his own show where he's some kind of sex maniac?  I mean Professor?)

Thought Annalise was gonna pull a gun on Nate and had NO IDEA who that girl who came out of the car was (who ended up being Mikayla in a camel coat that made her looks chubby and short.  Not body shaming.)

Sorry guys but I love that actor who plays Wes more and more (and I always have!).  His physicality is so unique and fascinating!  It's that super long neck.

Why doesn't Annalise just take on Asher's Trotter Lake case?  I used to think the guy who played Asher was this great actor (like on OINTB).  But this episode was the most awkward I've ever seen him.  He was strange all episode.  Just that same "I feel sick" expression over and over again.

Is Bonnie in love with Annalise, Sam, Asher, or all of them?

Not enough scenes to showcase how amazing Viola Davis is lately.  Just a bunch of fucked up plot that is hard to care about when it means nothing.

The fuck was with Mikayla's 1950's outfit?

Bonnie's father is the same father of the hot incest kids?  And maybe she killed him?   LOL @ Bonnie saying she needs to pee.  I wish people would just say they need to use the bathroom.

Maybe the audience will stop hating Wes and start hating "I tell everything on everyone" Asher.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 2

Well now we know what Annalise saved Bonnie from and why she's so ride or die for her. I know it's awful what happened to Rebecca but I understand Connor, Michaela and Laurel's frustration and in Laurel's case exhaustion, with Wes and his Rebecca crusades. Right or wrong, he played a large part in dragging those three down that path that spiraled into a whole web of lies and he's still being annoying as fuck. And how stupid can Wes be - really, Frank would oh so casually leave a key you just found out about, right there on the desk. That said, between Asher and Connor's spiral, that house of cards is looking very, very shaky. 

I guess Bonnie knows (and always knew?!) everything about how Sam died?!

She figured out before the season and then put it together by the way the students were acting that they were the ones who murdered him and Annalise was covering for them. 

Maybe the audience will stop hating Wes and start hating "I tell everything on everyone" Asher.

Doubt it. Asher believes he's just doing the right thing reporting a crime. Wes' actions are ONLY about Rebecca. He didn't give a shit about Nate taking the fall when it came to covering his ass for Sam's murder and is still in no rush far as I can tell, to go confess his crime. He's only indignant about Rebecca...EVERYTHING with Wes has been about Rebecca which is why Laurel sounded so tired and fed up when she told him enough tonight. 

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 19

Wes' paranoia again about to ruin their lives. Annalise is doing everything to protect him and the others by extension. He and now Connor are spiraling putting them all at risk. 

Annalise lying to Nate was sad, but again she was trying to protect Wes who clearly did not tell Nate that he killed Sam. 

Asher is living a nightmare. I thought that Bonnie was going to kill herself.  All that blood on her in the flash forward. I wonder how it got there.

Poor Michaela. She cannot catch a break with men.

I hate that Laurel is having sex with Frank. She is so delusional about him.

I love Connor and Oliver, but if Connor does not get it together, he will end up in prison.

I know that I am getting sucked in but I feel for Caleb and his sister.

Edited by SimoneS
  • Love 3

This

Annalise: Men lie, Bonnie. It's the only thing they're good at.

Frank: She's right.

and this

Annalise: I caught Wes and Nate together last night.

Frank: Screwing?

Made my night. If that was all there was to this ep, I would have been a happy giggly camper.

Alas there was more - so much more.

I'm not prone to shipping on this show - the characters are way too treacherous-lol. That said, Bonnie/Asher and Connor/Oliver ("I love you, Ollie") had me in my feels.

It was refreshing to see Annalise not just roll over a judge.

And it was cute how Annalise asked Wes about his other classes. LOL. What other classes?

More awesome dialgoue:

Oliver: Do you think Annalise would ever pay me. I mean, I do all this work for her...for free. 

Excellent episode tonight!

Edited by Gillian Rosh
  • Love 17

Oh Michaela. She immediately assumes her new boyfriend is sleeping with Wes. Poor thing is developing a very understandable complex. 

This revelation about Bonnie makes a lot of sense, it explains a lot abut her. 

I was just joking with my friend about how Oliver should start asking Anna for a paycheck with all the work he does for her, then he brings it up! I love them dearly, but I continue to worry about Connor and his precarious mental health. 

• Love 6

Connor has turned out to be the one reason I watch this confusing show....The twists are so stupid and Frank's play on Wes, I could see but man, I just want Connor..his love for Ollie..His reactions to everything...

I just want Connor to punch Asher...just once...or punch Wes..just once....and I kinda wanna know what Asher's dad did....and will we ever find out about Trotter Lake?

• Love 2

I used to think the guy who played Asher was this great actor (like on OINTB).  But this episode was the most awkward I've ever seen him.  He was strange all episode.  Just that same "I feel sick" expression over and over again.

I thought Asher's "I feel sick" look worked fine for what he was going through. He has a crazed prosecutor breathing down his neck, a father who only cares about covering his own ass, a girlfriend who he believes murdered a man, and a professor/employer who helped cover it up, I would pass out. Asher believes he's reporting a crime, unlike Wes who knows that he murdered a man and was willing to let an innocent man go down for it, and doesn't seem all that interested in confessing to his crime. I don't blame the others for being fed up with him, this whole mess started because of his dumbass girlfriend.  Letting Michaela get close to Levi, when he knew full well who he was, only added to his assery.

• Love 15

I think that Wes saying "it's a suitcase full of cash, it must be related to Rebecca" was a clear sign that his obsession with her will not be going away and he's going to be grasping at straws to find out what happened to her, regardless of how it affects the rest of them. 

Laurel's exasperation with him after that line summed up my feelings perfectly. 

Frank asking if Wes and Nate were screwing was hilarious, Michaela asking if Wes and Levi were screwing made me really sad for her. 

Although it did strike me that these people (independently) think that Wes would have sex with a man. 

Annalise's scenes with Nate always frustrate me as I can never work out when she's being genuine and when she's just playing him.

• Love 9

I could have skipped everything up to the last 10 minutes.  I really, really want to love this show like I did last season.  I'm not sure if the problem is just too much "stuff" stuffed into an episode, or if I am just finding less to like about each character.  I have to have a rooting interest in someone to be engaged in the story.  I'll stick with it, but not sure for how long.

Edited by clarkbar
  • Love 5

clarkbar, I feel very much like you do.  Last year this show was a novelty.  Now it's just a disjointed mess.  It's hard to care when build-ups are not developed, it's just writers throwing you fragmented pieces.

Annalise's scenes with Nate always frustrate me as I can never work out when she's being genuine and when she's just playing him.

Well, there isn't much guesswork here considering we all know she lied to him.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 5

Well, there isn't much guesswork here considering we all know she lied to him.

Yes she lied to him about who killed Sam... But her feelings of remorse for what she did to Nate, the tears and the wanting to see him - are they genuine or not? 

• Love 2

Bonnie isn't mentally and mostly emotionally well enough to know who she loves. She's a mess as is Anna except Anna has a more controlling personality, but both are victims of incest which has completely fucked them up. 

Could Anna have been on her case, as a child? No, Anna is not that much older than Bonnie is she?  I mean how on earth did she get that tape? This  I need to know a lot more about, WOW.

• Love 4

Sorry represent.  I typed out that question before Bonnie's childhood was revealed.

Do you think Annalise is capable of love?   i.e. capable of loving Bonnie almost like a daughter, or loving Famke Janssen, or loving Nate?  ..Sam?  .. Wes?

I don't think Laurel is so naive about Frank.  She's just as emotionally blank as he is, isn't she?  What has he done that she wouldn't do?

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 1

Do you think Annalise is capable of love?   i.e. capable of loving Bonnie almost like a daughter, or loving Famke Janssen, or loving Nate?  ..Sam?  .. Wes?

I can't trust anything genuine coming from Anna and Frank. Those two I can't tell, Anna is just always working someone first and foremost. I'm not going to say that she sits at home thinking, plotting how to ruin lives for fun, I don't think she's having fun, she's just all kinds of fucked up. And she went to Sam who was a licensed therapist and he was clearly no damn help because clearly he slept with his patients.

Yeah, he was a therapist, right? Eve was seeing him and that's how he met Anna, through Eve. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

• Love 2

Scooby Gang, always at the wrong place at the wrong time.

Annalise's file system seem really inefficient.

Poor Michaela, her boyfriend turns out to be gay one time and now it seems like a repeating cycle to her. Speaking of Michaela, her blouse in this episode wasn't the least bit flattering.

Wes better hope the police don't find that suitcase.

• Love 1

Could Anna have been on her case, as a child? No, Anna is not that much older than Bonnie is she?  I mean how on earth did she get that tape? This  I need to know a lot more about, WOW.

I wonder if it was through Sam. 

Was he Bonnie's therapist too? But if so, why would he get Annalise involved with her? 

There's still so much about Bonnie's backstory that needs to be revealed. 

• Love 2

We don't know what Asher did, but apparently it was bad.  So he can be all judgey-judgey on everyone else, but he just 'made a mistake'?  Before Bonnie confessed to him he had nothing with which to testify.  No evidence, he wasn't an eye witness to anything.  Where was his power?

Frank is The Man.  Ha!  I hate Wes so bad.  I really, really do.  And it is all because of his stupid obsession over the most worthless person on this show.  So I am super happy anytime Frank gets over on Wes.  Or Michaela blames him (irrationally) for letting her sleep with Eggs 911. Or everybody else just dumping on him.

I love the police calling Levi 'Heisenberg' ha!

"Are you two gay for each other?" - Of course Michaela would think that.  Poor thing.  I enjoyed her little bout of hysteria and threatening to cut off Levi's balls.  And Connor looking out for her.  They really need to be besties.

Gah!  Poor Bonnie. 

Great episode.

• Love 9

I'm not sure if the problem is just too much "stuff" stuffed into an episode

It's more complicated this time around, so it's a lot less fun and keep track of everything.  Last season we had 2 deaths in different timelines to keep track of.  This season, we have the full out fallout from last season, plus Rebecca, as well as a new mystery with who shot Annalise and killed the other victims, etc.

• Love 5

I'm really tired of the cliche molesting father/step-father routine. I was hoping it would be something else that Anni saved Bonnie from. I would settle for something else. Bonnie seem to not be able to do anything right because it looks like Asher likes to do what's right.

I'm liking that Asher is being pulled into the storyline instead of being on the outs with everyone even though they're lying to him left, right, and center. How Asher didn't like that his father is always thinking about himself instead of protecting him. 

I'm thinking Bonnie possibly killed the DA. I'm not so sure on her possibly killing Anni.

I also loved how Connor was protective of Michaela when dealing with Levi. I also love how the Keating 4 are getting fed up with Wes and his Rebecca obsession. Like Laurel said, just stop. It's getting ridiculous. They should have locked Wes in that storage room. 

Frank is always on top of shit, and you see why Anni always turns to him to get the dirty work done, because he can deliver. I would go to Frank if I needed something dirty done lol. 

• Love 6

Frank asking if Wes and Nate were screwing was hilarious, Michaela asking if Wes and Levi were screwing made me really sad for her. 

Although it did strike me that these people (independently) think that Wes would have sex with a man.

I laughed so hard when Frank so casually asked if / assumed that Wes and Nate were screwing.

I also think it's great that it's at least something that's on people's radar, and not in a judgemental way. Well, maybe a bit of judgement from Michaela, but at this point I think it was reasonable given her history :P

Maybe Bonnie saw the father of the adopted kids about to rape the daughter or something.

When/how would she have seen this? The father (obviously) died before they ever met the family.

I can't trust anything genuine coming from Anna and Frank. Those two I can't tell, Anna is just always working someone first and foremost. I'm not going to say that she sits at home thinking, plotting how to ruin lives for fun, I don't think she's having fun, she's just all kinds of fucked up. And she went to Sam who was a licensed therapist and he was clearly no damn help because clearly he slept with his patients.

Yeah, he was a therapist, right? Eve was seeing him and that's how he met Anna, through Eve. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

We have no evidence that Eve was seeing him, nor was it ever implied. Eve said that Annalise "left me for your therapist".

We don't know what Asher did, but apparently it was bad.  So he can be all judgey-judgey on everyone else, but he just 'made a mistake'?  Before Bonnie confessed to him he had nothing with which to testify.  No evidence, he wasn't an eye witness to anything.  Where was his power?

Frank is The Man.  Ha!  I hate Wes so bad.  I really, really do.  And it is all because of his stupid obsession over the most worthless person on this show.  So I am super happy anytime Frank gets over on Wes.  Or Michaela blames him (irrationally) for letting her sleep with Eggs 911. Or everybody else just dumping on him.

I love the police calling Levi 'Heisenberg' ha!

"Are you two gay for each other?" - Of course Michaela would think that.  Poor thing.  I enjoyed her little bout of hysteria and threatening to cut off Levi's balls.  And Connor looking out for her.  They really need to be besties.

Gah!  Poor Bonnie. 

Great episode.

One big difference is that Asher actually seems guilt ridden about whatever he did. He was willing to throw Annalise under the bus, but only when he thought she was guilty. Once he knew she was innocent, he wanted to turn in the person he believes killed Sam. And I did buy that part of it is that since the past he tried to outrun caught up with him, that he doesn't want that to happen to Bonnie. He thinks she has a decent self defense claim. After all, he's seen Annalise get guilty people off before, so why wouldn't she get Bonnie off for killing a man who was trying to rape her? I'm also willing to wait until I know what Asher did. He certainly reacts badly to murder, if his reaction to whatever happened at the kids house is anything to go by. He's traumatized and in shock. The others are all covering their behinds.

I don't think Michaela blamed him irrationally for letting her sleep with Eggs911. Wes should have told her who Levi was. Yeah he warned Levi off, but Levi ignored him and he STILL didn't warn Michaela. I'm starting to think that Aiden being gay wasn't Michaela's first "my boyfriend is gay" rodeo. Her jumping to the Aiden is gay after he admits to experimenting as a kid, seemed a bit premature. But jumping to the conclusion that Wes and Levi were in a relationship feels like she has a type and that type is closeted.

• Love 3

I'm tired of all the competing conspiracies, it's boring, it's not developing the characters or advancing anything other then soap-drama.  I did enjoy the five seconds when Connor and...the other one were teasing Mikela and Wes about an orgy.  But otherwise, I could do without watching this show go so far off the rails that I no longer care.  I hate Bonnie.

Edited by Glade
  • Love 2

Why doesn't Annalise just take on Asher's Trotter Lake case?  I used to think the guy who played Asher was this great actor (like on OINTB).  But this episode was the most awkward I've ever seen him.  He was strange all episode.  Just that same "I feel sick" expression over and over again.

As far as we know, Anni has no idea about Trotter Lake and in a case of idiot plotting, Asher doesn't trust the ace defense attorney who he has a personal relationship with to talk about why he was potentially making a deal with a prosecutor and to use her expertise to get him out from under or to get a better deal. I mean, a deal that only works if these inept-ass prosecutors get a conviction is no deal at all.

Like someone else said, Asher had a million confusing and difficult things to deal with -- the notion his girlfriend was a killer, the notion that his girlfriend had been raped/near-raped, the notion that he was a rapist's sloppy seconds (sorry to be gross, but I'd have to think that would cross his mind), the notion that his girlfriend admitted having feelings for Sam, the notion that he was being used as an alibi for murder, the notion that his dad was not worthy yet again of being idolized, the notion that he probably had mixed feelings about breaking up with Bonnie, the notion that he had this crazy plea deal to consider, an assortment of mind games from Anni, culminating with evidence of Bonnie having also been molested as a child.

I assume Bonnie was in love with all of the above. I am assuming Sam was her therapist, which is why Bonnie had a crush on him. Anni and Bonnie probably bonded over both being abuse victims.

I thought that Bonnie was going to kill herself.  All that blood on her in the flash forward. I wonder how it got there.

I hate that Laurel having sex with Frank. She is so delusional about him.

My base assumption is that the blood is a red herring and that Bonnie and Asher had nothing to do with dead prosecutor and dying Anni.

But maybe it's a case of trying to fool the audience by being too obvious. Like Wes seemed like the obvious choice for who killed Sam to the point that it seemed like they were again misleading folks.

As for Laurel, I think she is not delusional at all. Sadly, it's not likely that the couple will ever reach the heights of a couple eps when Frank teased Laurel and then left her high and dry.

It was refreshing to see Annalise not just roll over a judge.

Right?

Yes she lied to him about who killed Sam... But her feelings of remorse for what she did to Nate, the tears and the wanting to see him - are they genuine or not? 

Given that she went to see Nate right after her declaration that she was going to "kick some ass," I think it's fairly clear that at least in her first visit with him, that was mostly manipulation.

If Sam was her psychiatrist, he might have had access to the tape. 

Of course, we can't necessarily rule out that the tape was just manipulation. I mean, it seems unlikely that a molester 20 or so years ago would have taped his molestation and that it would be in a medium that would be storable on a flash drive. It is entirely possible that it is a video from some random case Anni defended that had a young blonde victim, and she's manipulating Asher.

Sam was a therapist. As far as we know, Anni was seeing Sam as a therapist. I don't think that he met Anni through Eve. 

From the latest episode, it seems like Asher and Papa Asher were both involved in Trotter Lake. So it could be again a case where Asher is more or less innocent and was covering for his dad's misconduct.

The way the show seems to be framing it, the plea agreement was in exchange for future efforts to nail Anni for professional misconduct (not even the murder of Sam). 

Edited by Chicago Redshirt
  • Love 3

That was....a lot thrown at us in one episode. There's a lot that happened. First of all, Asher. At least someone is acting rationally about murder. He's left on the outs, so for him to actually react in a logical way (shock, anger, guilt, etc) over these types of situations? It may feel different, because every other person is acting like murder is no big deal, but I applaud Asher for not just succumbing to Annalise's plan. I still need to know what happened at Trotter Lake, but now I'm wondering if it has to do with him killing Tiffany accidentally, or having a hand in it. Maybe he gave her too much to drink and they went driving in a boat and she fell off. Maybe she accidentally drowned while swimming. Whatever it is, I'm kind of wanting them to not drag it out until the end of the season and I'd prefer to know in the next couple of episodes.

Either way, I'm thrilled they gave Matt McGorry more to work with, and I felt like his acting was great. Asher looked sick and why shouldn't he? He was lied to (though he has no idea he's still being lied to), left out, manipulated and all he wants to do is the right thing. Comedic Asher is ok, but this show is a drama, so thank god he finally got in the drama. I thought his scene with his dad was well done as well. So, his dad either knows too much about Trotter Lake that could implement him, or he had a small hand in it too. Either way, his dad's a dick.

As for the flashforwards, I'm just thinking the blood on Bonnie is Annalise's, but it was her trying to stop the bleeding from Annalise. It looks like she was there before the Keating Four, and maybe Asher saw or did something himself. I don't know if he shot Annalise, but I like that he's finally in on the action. 

I'm loving that Connor told Oliver that he loves him. Connor is seriously breaking down little by little and it's so interesting to see. I'll bet he quits by next season. Laurel/Frank having sex? Ok, then. 

Wes, stop with this Rebecca obsession. If she's dead, she's dead. And I knew Levi was going to get set up to be arrested by Frank, and I knew Frank tricked Wes. Seriously, nobody has a single clue what Frank's up to, not even Annalise. Between Frank and Asher, both are the best secret keepers by far! 

Yes to the judge who called out Annalise on her usually loitering on illegal actions to win her cases.

Damn, Bonnie's messed up. Great job by Lisa Weil this episode, though. I do think Annalise is a pretty crappy person, but she does care about most of the kids and Bonnie. But the question is, why? We know she has a weird infatuation with Wes, and Bonnie is like her loyal puppy, and Laurel's very much like Annalise or even Frank, but why Connor and Michaela? 

• Love 4

I hated this episode. I think it's because I absolutely loathe the character of Asher, and this episode was heavily Asher-centric. I loved Frank calling him Doucheface again, because it is so very apt. The actor does have a doucheface.

Speaking of the nicknames, Frank had called Laurel "Wallflower". Wonder if he still thinks she is a wallflower, haha.

Yes to the judge who called out Annalise on her usually loitering on illegal actions to win her cases.

I love Annalise but I liked it when the judge said "I don't believe you"... Yes Annalise usually gets her own way in court and hasn't been caught doing anything illegal in a case, but it seems realistic to me that her reputation would lead to her not being believed in instances where taking her word for something is required. 

• Love 2

Asher could testify that Bonnie killed Sam, but what kind of a case does that really provide? Bonnie could deny it, and then it's totally lacking any verification. It would just make Asher look like an easily manipulated idiot.

I feel bad for Rebecca's foster brother. He really hasn't done anything wrong at all. Even Oliver, who I adore, is participating in illegal activity, and Nate was in cahoots with Rebecca to steal evidence on the night of Sam's murder. I understand their motives and I still like their characters, but it's hard to totally ignore that they've been part of shady doings. Rebecca's brother is simply trying to find out what the hell happened to her. I guess it's shady that he's fucking Michaela, but he hasn't really done anything to harm her, has he? And he threatened the guy at the cemetery this week, so OK, I guess he's starting to escalate his shadiness. But, like Nate, he is being framed, he is basically a total innocent, and he's trying to find out who killed someone, which is not a bad motive after all. If it was my sister texting 911 and then disappearing, I'd be losing my mind trying to find her.

'Your dying wife, who you cheated with me on, asked me to help her kill herself.' Talk about an awkward conversation.

Also, honestly how did Annalise and friends get anything done before Oliver started doing their hacking for them?

Wes can literally leave any day now and take his Rebecca obsession with him. I got tired of the 'everyone worry about poor Rebecca' train last season. I'm confused as to where Wes' self-righteousness comes from. Am I supposed to be rooting for him, because I'm really not. I 100% agree with Laurel's 'just stop.' 

WAY too much of the students, who with the occasional exception of MIchaela and Connor, are really becoming one-note; and too little Annalise and Bonnie. The actresses are so amazing; I'm all for just watching them do their thing all episode every episode.

I did appreciate the juxtaposition of Connor's honest profession of love with Bonnie's treacherous one. I like the way the show plays with the messy, nuanced way the show deals with relationships.

• Love 2

I'm getting more and more annoyed that noone ever just tells Annalise that she's a chronic liar and they just don't believe anything she says... Every time she pulls out the tired I'm doing this all to protect you routine. BULL. It was a way to get 4 new office slaves. It's just that they're a lot more high maintenance than Frank and Bonnie who are mindless minions to her whims.

For law students they're awfully gullible. Are they even get paid for all this grunt work Annalise is getting them to do ?

Not enough scenes to showcase how amazing Viola Davis is lately.  Just a bunch of fucked up plot that is hard to care about when it means nothing.

THAT.  I wanted so much to like this show, but it's too convoluted, and everyone's despicable. Much like 'Scandal' which I grew to hate and stopped watching

• Love 2

Can they get through one episode, without anyone taking their clothes off? Just one? 

I liked the episode. So does this mean that Bonnie stabbed Annalise, and the prosecutor? 

Two thoughts:

1. I love how the Scooby gang (and now Bonnie) always run past the dead body of the DA with nary a thought other than, I suppose, "eh".....

2. I'm looking forward to the episode where we find Wes stuffed in a suitcase, because, well, at least on this show, he's too dumb to live; and is also a bit self-righteous for someone who bashed in another person's brain, killing him, involved others in a coverup and still has a GOD DAMN crush on a girl and drags his friends in deeper because he can't move on.....and will be smugger than the dead DA if he finds out Rebecca was killed, even if he understands nothing about her death.

I can't tell if the show is telling us we are supposed to like him or not.  I land on not.

ETA:  okay, three thoughts....I find Asher infinitely more interesting now that he's not in full-on douche mode 100% of the time.

Edited by pennben
  • Love 6
One big difference is that Asher actually seems guilt ridden about whatever he did. He was willing to throw Annalise under the bus, but only when he thought she was guilty. Once he knew she was innocent, he wanted to turn in the person he believes killed Sam. And I did buy that part of it is that since the past he tried to outrun caught up with him, that he doesn't want that to happen to Bonnie. He thinks she has a decent self defense claim. After all, he's seen Annalise get guilty people off before, so why wouldn't she get Bonnie off for killing a man who was trying to rape her? I'm also willing to wait until I know what Asher did. He certainly reacts badly to murder, if his reaction to whatever happened at the kids house is anything to go by. He's traumatized and in shock. The others are all covering their behinds.

I don't think Michaela blamed him irrationally for letting her sleep with Eggs911.

In response to the bolded part, I'm not sure we can tell what he wanted to do at that point, and I thought it was the reason for his fleeing the courtroom and "renegotiating" the deal - to stall and buy time to figure out what to do next. He hasn't been shown to be the major brains on this show that say Anni has, and even she's showing some major cracks, and he'll need to run through the options and consider his feelings in the matter. (Yes, feelings.)

Bonnie may have had a decent self defense claim at the time (as far as he knows), but that ship has sailed. Keeping in mind to what extent he buys her guilty plea/ story. But there is zero corroboration to her rape claim at this point and (apparently) an abundance of fairly convincing circumstantial evidence to the contrary (she would have gone through a lot of seriously questionable stuff to hide the fact that she killed Sam if her story were true, and that makes the probability of it being self defense (or accepted as such by a jury even if so) less likely.) that makes the right call trickier to define here. Nicely played.

In response to the italicized part, his reaction makes me think he didn't kill anybody at Trotter Lake, because part of why the others seem so practiced at running from a murder scene is they've done this before. Ain't no big thing. Whereas he's freaked, so probably not as jaded/ experienced.

The scene with him last year that seemed most odd / out of character to me was his hesitating to have sex with Bonnie when she was clearly drunk. IIRC, he wasn't exactly sober at the time either (anybody remember?), and it stood out to me. Made me like him more, but it wasn't what I expected from how he and his upbringing had been presented. I wondered when Trotter Lake was brought up if it wasn't more along those lines -> the accusation of date rape, or something similar, and that's where he learned a deeply ingrained caution that overrides even his own lack of sobriety and desires.

And I agree, Wes is a total turd for "letting" Michaela sleep with Eggs 911. She was right to call him on it. He really doesn't give a shit about anyone but himself and his Rebecca-quest, which makes him an unmitigated ass in my book.

I'm getting more and more annoyed that noone ever just tells Annalise that she's a chronic liar and they just don't believe anything she says... Every time she pulls out the tired I'm doing this all to protect you routine. BULL. It was a way to get 4 new office slaves. It's just that they're a lot more high maintenance than Frank and Bonnie who are mindless minions to her whims.

For law students they're awfully gullible. Are they even get paid for all this grunt work Annalise is getting them to do ?

Seem to recall the really good student jobs that looked super awesome on your resume were the most poorly paid because you were getting something else out of it. In addition to it helping you land a future job, there's an element of them teaching you, an unqualified worker drone, that takes time and effort on their part and is repaid by long, sloggy, poorly remunerated hours on yours.

Sure Anni is a lying liar who lies (think everyone on this show is), most def, but 1) there have got to be easier ways to get slave labor and 2) these assholes killed her husband. They know it, she knows it. And they now know she knows it. (Bad enough the kids keep acting like it ain't so, but they've got a personal (TV character) stake in denial. We viewers watched it happen and shouldn't be this quick to forget.) Her profession just means she's predisposed to figuring out ways to get away with it, and less judgy of the guilty parties. I mean, how many (known) murderers does an average person come in contact with? She's working with at least 5 that she knows of. (6 that we currently know of, and she's the daughter of 7th.)

Edited by krimimimi
  • Love 9

My guess is that Asher isn't snitching in the last scene. He's confessing. Probably to cover for Bonnie.

Was that really Bonnie in the video? Why would Annalise treat Bonnie the way she does if she knew about Bonnie's history of abuse? Seems especially cruel.

Maybe it was a video Sam had from one of his patients, and Annalise used it as a ploy.

I wonder if Bonnie was washing off Sinclair's blood? And did she realize Annalise was in the same house, dying...?

When Annalise was crying to Nate about she would rather die than hurt him again, I felt that. Viola is an amazing actress because you know Annalise's toxic ass was lying through her teeth.

These past two weeks have had me on the edge of my seat! I didn't think they could keep the show going but Season 2 is better than Season 1 for me to be honest.

• Love 7

My guess is that Asher isn't snitching in the last scene. He's confessing. Probably to cover for Bonnie.

Was that really Bonnie in the video? Why would Annalise treat Bonnie the way she does if she knew about Bonnie's history of abuse? Seems especially cruel.

Maybe it was a video Sam had from one of his patients, and Annalise used it as a ploy.

As a victim of abuse herself, it wouldn't be unlikely that Anni would vacillate between more understanding for Bonnie than usual (having a fuller understanding of her situation and the accompanying empathy) and a complete lack of patience with her (for not being as well adjusted, or successful, or generally having risen above things despite her past as Anni is/has) before settling more squarely on one end of the spectrum or the other. Here we generally see less patience and kindness in their dynamic, which is probable when you look at how merciless Anni can be (see her treatment of Nate, for example, whom I actually think she also cares for).

That's if that was really Bonnie in the video. This show has shown Anni to be capable of a degree of manipulation that truly boggles, so it could be anybody really. But I don't think it would be uncharacteristic if it were actually Bonnie either. She's all over the map and way over the top, not necessarily unrealistically, though, but that behavior needs some grave explanation. 

I thought Asher was going to confess to murdering Sam after he got the extended plea deal. Wasn't sure if that was his point to asking for it, or one of those Chekov's guns things where you assume the writers are going there because it's been mentioned in Act 1.

• Love 1

Sure Anni is a lying liar who lies (think everyone on this show is), most def, but 1) there have got to be easier ways to get slave labor and 2) these assholes killed her husband. They know it, she knows it. And they now know she knows it. (Bad enough the kids keep acting like it ain't so, but they've got a personal (TV character) stake in denial. We viewers watched it happen and shouldn't be this quick to forget.) Her profession just means she's predisposed to figuring out ways to get away with it, and less judgy of the guilty parties. I mean, how many (known) murderers does an average person come in contact with? She's working with at least 5 that she knows of. (6 that we currently know of, and she's the daughter of 7th.)

I think my problem with Annalise and the murder 4 is that she was under no obligation to help them cover up their crimes... Unlike her PAYING CLIENTS. It's one thing to cover up murders if you're getting paid or they are your friends... but the only reason I can understand her covering up for them is that she wanted more people to surround her that feels indebted to her.

She's not a lawyer who happens to cover up murders, she's actively trying to find the most guiltiest looking people around to defend because she's bored and depressed and there's apparently nothing good on tv in her universe.  Also she has at least 2 other murderers on her payroll... So it's not an incidental lawyery thing but something she actively pursues in her personal and professional life.

If she wanted to not see the murderers who murdered her husband (like most sane people would prefer) she could just kick them to the curb and tell them not to get involved in illegal shit. Instead she's constantly getting them to commit one sort of crime or another for her benefit. Like harassing the interns to hack the police department.

Edited by wayne67
I feel bad for Rebecca's foster brother. He really hasn't done anything wrong at all.

Except for preying on Michaela and lying to her about who he is. Don't get me wrong - I get why he wants to find out what happened to Rebecca, but to say he's done nothing wrong isn't exactly accurate. He's engaged in manipulation and duplicity, just like every other character on the show.

ETA:

That's my guess as well - only I think he did have something to do with Prosecutor Sinclair's death.

When Annalise was crying to Nate about she would rather die than hurt him again, I felt that. Viola is an amazing actress because you know Annalise's toxic ass was lying through her teeth.

Amen! Even while watching and knowing Annalise is once again trying to manipulate Nate, I'm still sucked in. That's how great Viola's performance is.

These past two weeks have had me on the edge of my seat! I didn't think they could keep the show going but Season 2 is better than Season 1 for me to be honest

They've definitely ratcheted up the tension and stakes this season. I'm loving it.

Edited by Gillian Rosh
  • Love 12

Asher could testify that Bonnie killed Sam, but what kind of a case does that really provide? Bonnie could deny it, and then it's totally lacking any verification. It would just make Asher look like an easily manipulated idiot.

I feel bad for Rebecca's foster brother. He really hasn't done anything wrong at all. Even Oliver, who I adore, is participating in illegal activity, and Nate was in cahoots with Rebecca to steal evidence on the night of Sam's murder. I understand their motives and I still like their characters, but it's hard to totally ignore that they've been part of shady doings. Rebecca's brother is simply trying to find out what the hell happened to her. I guess it's shady that he's fucking Michaela, but he hasn't really done anything to harm her, has he? And he threatened the guy at the cemetery this week, so OK, I guess he's starting to escalate his shadiness. But, like Nate, he is being framed, he is basically a total innocent, and he's trying to find out who killed someone, which is not a bad motive after all. If it was my sister texting 911 and then disappearing, I'd be losing my mind trying to find her.

In the case of one person's word against another's, it's a question of who's more believable. Asher has only a little reason to make up this confession, especially in all its detail. His plea agreement would be used to draw doubt, but I think with some circumstantial evidence a good prosecutor might be able to make the case against Bonnie stick.

As for Levi, there's a good chance that he's not that innocent. Remember, Rebecca was a drug dealer who brought Lila into that life. There is a reasonably good chance that Levi was also involved in selling drugs, as Rebecca's boss, partner or minion. The fact that he has a gun and has no problem threatening to use it on someone who posed no threat means IMO he's not a good person.

The question that I wish Wes asked was why Levi apparently did not do anything immediately on receiving the Eggs 911 text.

Anni  got the Keating 5 as office slaves before the murder of Sam, and she could just as easily have cast them adrift and pick another 5 students.

In terms of the gullibility of the K5, we saw in this very episode that there's a fair amount of distrust. The fact that Wes is on his RebeccaQuest shows that he doesn't believe her. Connor's downward spiral is due to his recognition that Anni is pretty much the devil, and she potentially has him by the balls if his car with Sam's blood is out there. Even if Anni is lying about that, it's not really a chance he can take. 

• Love 1

Exactly. Connor goes on and on about how Annalise is controlling them, but they are the ones who killed Sam. She has been covering for them and now Bonnie. Unless we find out otherwise, Annalise is the only one in that group who has not murdered or killed anyone. None of the students or Frank or Bonnie are good guys. If Annalise went to the police and gave them all up right now, she would likely to get off by offering up a sob story about why she covered for them and would walk away. They are the ones would fighting to stay out of prison and would be lucky if they did. 

• Love 8