Type keyword(s) to search

The Annual Academy Awards - General Discussion

• Start Topic

So now it's ALL QUIET's streak that gets broken.  Interesting...

The Screenplay Oscar for Polley was clearly a makeup award for her not even getting nominated for Best Director.

• Like 2
Just now, thuganomics85 said:

Women Talking takes adapted screenplay at least, so it won't go home empty handed.

I enjoyed Top Gun: Maverick, but why did they need five writers to write that screenplay?

Did at least one of those writers happen to have worked on Star Wars: A New Hope?

• LOL 1
Just now, Mediocre Gatsby said:

You'd think an Oscar-winning writer would know to talk about teachers who gave "my brother and ME detention." 

Aaaaah, you win an Oscar, correct grammar goes out the window in the moment...

• Like 9

Florence and Andrew need to star in a movie where they cheer people on. Maybe they're big sports fans going to games, or maybe they're cheering on their kid's dance recital, but something where they can be as excitedly supportive as they were giving out Screenplay Oscars.

• Like 3
  • Love 3
5 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

Is she actually holding her skirt-thing aside to show her leg?

That is a terrible outfit on so many levels.

If you have to hold the dress aside to show your leg, that isn't the right dress for the occasion. The leg should peek out as you walk, not as you awkwardly pose.

• Like 8
  • LOL 1
2 minutes ago, thuganomics85 said:

I enjoyed Top Gun: Maverick, but why did they need five writers to write that screenplay?

I think it's because it went through a few iterations, but enough was kept from earlier drafts that they needed to be credited.

• Useful 3

The first time I saw Sarah Polley was in the pilot episode for a fun creepy syndicated show called Friday the 13th the series. The show had nothing to do with the movies though the same people worked on it. Now she has an Oscar so cool for her. It's crazy how long she has actually been around.

• Like 7
  • Useful 1
1 minute ago, Mediocre Gatsby said:

You'd think an Oscar-winning writer would know to talk about teachers who gave "my brother and ME detention." 

Just now, wallflower75 said:

Aaaaah, you win an Oscar, correct grammar goes out the window in the moment...

What? What’s the grammar problem here?

• Like 7
  • LOL 1
1 minute ago, KittyQ said:

If you have to hold the dress aside to show your leg, that isn't the right dress for the occasion. The leg should peek out as you walk, not as you awkwardly pose.

And it looked like she was wearing bike shorts underneath.  A friend did that with her wedding dress at the reception but she didn't flash them to the crowd.

• Like 1
Just now, ShadowHunter said:

The first time I saw Sarah Polley was in the pilot episode for a fun creepy syndicated show called Friday the 13th the series. The show had nothing to do with the movies though the same people worked on it. Now she has an Oscar so cool for her. It's crazy how long she has actually been around.

I still remember her as the lead in the 2004 remake of Dawn of Dead.  Arguably the best work from Zach Snyder, IMO (and it was written by James Gunn!)

• Like 3

I was reading a story about someone who keeps her awards at her office, because she felt it was too much to have them on display at home (I cannot for the life of me remember who it was) and I am sorry, but if I won an Oscar?  That thing is coming with me wherever I go for the rest of my LIFE.

• Like 2
  • LOL 4

I'm still angry she wasn't nominated for Best Director (I probably wouldn't even choose her as the winner - I haven't seen all the films in order to say - but she sure as hell should have been in the running!), but held out hope Women Talking would win Adapted Screenplay.  I'm thrilled for Polley's win.

Edited by Bastet
  • Like 9
Just now, PrincessPurrsALot said:

And it looked like she was wearing bike shorts underneath.  A friend did that with her wedding dress at the reception but she didn't flash them to the crowd.

She was.  She talked about them and flashed them (a lot) on the not-red carpet.

• Useful 1
Just now, mojoween said:

I was reading a story about someone who keeps her awards at her office, because she felt it was too much to have them on display at home (I cannot for the life of me remember who it was) and I am sorry, but if I won an Oscar?  That thing is coming with me wherever I go for the rest of my LIFE.

Wear it on a chain around your neck, kind of like Flavor Flav and his clocks. 

• LOL 14
Just now, SoMuchTV said:

The phrase "...gave my brother and I detention" is incorrect.  Take out "my brother": you wouldn't say, "...gave I detention"; therefore, it should be "...gave my brother and me detention."  My job partly involves teaching grammar; this happens all the time.

• Like 15
  • Applause 3
Just now, thuganomics85 said:

I still remember her as the lead in the 2004 remake of Dawn of Dead.  Arguably the best work from Zach Snyder, IMO (and it was written by James Gunn!)

She's also Sally in the Adventures of Baron Munchausen.

• Like 3
1 minute ago, mojoween said:

A lot of people keep their Oscars in the bathroom and can always tell when guests are taking selfies with the statues.

• LOL 10
Just now, mojoween said:

It was Quinta Brunson from Abott Elementary

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
4 minutes ago, SoMuchTV said:

Probably that he said "gave my brother and I detention." A compound object requires both pronouns to be in the Objective case.

Edited by legaleagle53
1 minute ago, roughing it said:

Should have said “my brother and I”

That's what he did say. He should have said "my brother and  me." People always get it right if they just practice by taking out the other person; he would automatically have said "gave me detention."

Still a great win of course!

• Like 6
6 minutes ago, Mediocre Gatsby said:

Not to be “that person” but the above is actually correct. You wouldn’t say “teachers who gave I detention,” you’d say “who gave me detention.”

• Like 6
12 minutes ago, ebk57 said:

I'm happy and impressed she's wearing a mask!  She's doing A Doll's House on Broadway now and I'm sure doesn't want to miss any performances. 

Or catch anything she will pass along to her cast mates.  She wore a mask for that reason at the Golden Globes as well.

• Like 11
  • Love 1
1 minute ago, NUguy514 said:
3 minutes ago, SoMuchTV said:

The phrase "...gave my brother and I detention" is incorrect.  Take out "my brother": you wouldn't say, "...gave I detention"; therefore, it should be "...gave my brother and me detention."  My job partly involves teaching grammar; this happens all the time.

show of hands: how many own that “i’m silently correcting your grammar” t-shirt? 

raises hand.

• Like 6
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 10