Type keyword(s) to search

S09.E05: The Girl Who Died

Chip
  • Start Topic

Having the climactic battle with over ten minutes left reminded me of the episode of the Simpsons episode where Apu moves in. "Everything really wrapped up nicely! (looks at watch) Hmm, much quicker than usual!"

I suspected this would be a two-parter given the matching episode titles. That leaves "Sleep No More" and "Face the Raven" as the only stand-alones of the season, unless they're a secret two-parter too.

Well, it couldn't last. After two decent stories, this one was... kinda Meh. There was about ten minutes of plot stretched out to 45 minutes (and - Oh Joy! - we get a follow up next week). Did like Clara facing down "Odin" at the beginning only for Arya Stark to screw it up and the Doctor's plan was actually reasonably sensible. And nice follow up on Fires of Pompeii, which is more than we ever got on why his Sixth Regeneration looked like a random Gallifreyan guard. But overall, just too many bits that were stupid (or plain wrong). Horns on their helmets? Didn't happen (no warrior wants to wear something that channels attacks toward your head, except MAYBE for ceremonial puposes). Training the villagers to fight? Yeah, like that was ever going to go anywhere. And as for throwing the party? Half the village (and the more able bodied ones, too) just DIED, so I'd love to see how the Doctor convinced them to do that.

Oh dear, this episode was crazy.  Too much going on here, and too much silliness that overshadowed some really profound moments (I did like the Doctor's private conversations with Clara, especially the part where he realizes why he chose this face).  I generally love when Capaldi gets to be funny, and he was great at being sarcastic and putting down the Vikings (and the rest of the universe); but it seemed like this episode was trying too hard to be funny, when it needed to be more subtle and moving.  I usually enjoy the comedy style that this episode was trying to emulate (Monty Python and Benny Hill and all), but it's hard to say that that kind of comedy has "heart."  Doctor Who is supposed to have heart.  Because this story was so ridiculous, I found it hard to care for Ashildr and her new existence at the end.  

It's too bad--I loved Jamie Mathieson's episodes from S8, "Mummy on the Orient Express" and "Flatline,"  but this one fell short.

• Love 2

Please share!  Why did he choose this face?

He's anguished over losing Ashildr and thinks that, as a Time Lord, he's doomed to keep losing people.  He then flashes back to when he (as Ten) saved the family from the volcano eruption in Pompeii (Capaldi played Caecilius, the father, there).  He realizes that he chose Caecilius' face for his Twelfth incarnation to remind himself that he can save people, and he's thus motivated to bring Ashildr back to life.

• Love 4

Could this possibly be the end of the sonic sunglasses? I cheered...

But I did wonder why Clara suddenly insisted that Maisie try using the broken half. 1) why assume that the broken half still works just fine and 2) why does it have to be Maisie who uses them? Clara could use them herself. She could clearly reach her face even with the chains on. That bit reeked of "okay we need a way for Clara and this girl to get noticed and captured."

Other than that little nitpick though, I think I liked this one. A lot.

• Love 2

hmmmm....so now the doctor created two hybrids (sort of), face of bo (beau) and ashildr....ok, semantics, rose created jack.......who will ahildr give teh second med kit to?

the retcon about the face....not sure it appeases me yet.....maybe they will do more with that pompeii family in the future and bring some kind of closure.....unless of course ashildr is a descendant of that pompeii family....which is why the doctor saw as as familiar somehow.

after last week's meh, episode, i was looking forward to see arya in this, just to pacify my GOT withdrawals.  liking the fact that she could be the hybrid prophecy.

Edited by lovebug1975
That bit reeked of "okay we need a way for Clara and this girl to get noticed and captured."

Yeah, I don't know . . . the whole show is like that for me now.  This episode had lots of scenes that were clearly intended to mean different things but there wasn't any cohesion.  It didn't make any sense.  "Let's have a funny scene!"  "Hey, make the Doctor realize something about himself!"  "Show Clara doing something heroic!"  But then each scene would end and they'd move on to the next and there wouldn't be any institutional memory about what went on before and none of it was coherent within any larger narrative.  As John Potts noted above, for example, what Viking village just shrugs and immediately moves on from an attack where all their able-bodied military men are abducted and killed?

• Love 3

I've problems with this incarnation of The Doctor.  Not the acting, because Peter Capaldi is great, but more of The Doctors attitude and how things were wrapped.

This episode, however, was fucking beautiful!  At first, I was just going watch because of Maisie Williams, but I was soon pulled in because everything clicked.  The acting, the story, the music.  Everything felt perfect.

I actually felt like crying during the scene between Ashildr (had to look up her name) and The Doctor.  Maisie Williams nailed it! 

Capaldi was great during when The Doctor was feeling powerless until he realizes why he looks the way he does now.  Calling back to an episode that's, what, six years back and tying it into this one was ingenious.  And I loved The Doctor's rant towards The Universe.  So brief, but so powerful.

The bit with the yo-yo was great, as was the Monty Python reference, and Clara synching up the video to Benny Hill.

Also, there appears to be some ramifications about giving someone so young immortality in the "Who wants to live forever" vein.  I'm looking forward to the next episode.

• Love 4

Huh. Clara gets a Viking girl to "Valhalla" via broken Sonic Sunglasses, and Ashildr (thank you, CTRL-C) gets her village into a fight with FakeOdin and the generic monsters of the week. Against all odds, the Doctor gets the win, but Ashildr sacrifices herself, and he . .. basically gives her immortality. Once again . . . huh.

I liked the episode, but it's based into the main characters making massive ripples in  the normal course of events, if that makes sense. Also, "Yakkity Sax" makes lots of things better, including a counterattack. We didn't need it, but we got it, and it was good.

I liked this one, too.

I was ready with my stereo blasting so I could hear the dialogue, and mostly I could, though I pity the neighbours who had to hear the bass.

I did cheer out loud when the Vikings snapped the sunglasses, though.  And again in the callback to the Fires of Pompeii, and why he had chosen his face. Overall, I'll have to watch it again, but I liked it.

• Love 1

i think the writers are showing that clara has a death wish.....that she still has issues.  we forget, that whole danny thing and also, that whole protraying the doctor and the doctor saying she made quite a good doctor (saying it with a not so happy face).  so anything she does out of the ordinary doesn't really give me the "out of the ordinary" feeling.  right now, i think the doctor is baby sitting her.....even the last episode, she rewrote history with the intention of saving clara......same with the davros/dalek season opener....always about saving clara, and asking if she's ok.   clara has a death wish and is purposefully being reckless.

and remember, clara not only lost danny, but her future life that she already saw with danny in it, seeing he great, great, great. (x infinity).......grandson.

Edited by lovebug1975
  • Love 2

I liked this one, too.

I was ready with my stereo blasting so I could hear the dialogue, and mostly I could, though I pity the neighbours who had to hear the bass.

I did cheer out loud when the Vikings snapped the sunglasses, though.  And again in the callback to the Fires of Pompeii, and why he had chosen his face. Overall, I'll have to watch it again, but I liked it.

There were still some bits i couldn't make out

The two bits i had the most trouble with was what he said after the love sprite (?) and reverse the polarity of the neutron flow if someone could help me out there I'd appreciate it

Nice to see that I wasn't the only person questioning the helmet horns. I know actual Vikings never had those. Do you know where I found that out? From "The Fact of Fiction" account of "The Time Meddler" in Doctor Who Magazine.

I thought this was a good, fun episode.  Strong performances by Capaldi and Maisie Williams.  Even Clara was tolerable here.  The Doctor has a number of nice scenes here.  Always nice to see old footage of 10 and Donna.  I do think Capaldi is coming a little more into his own.

I understand the plot here by bringing Ashildr back but this is basically Captain Jack 2.0, with The Doctor’s Daughter and River Song thrown in for good measure.

Vikings seems to be a big thing now.  BBC America has their own Vikings show but I’m forever loyal to the History Channel’s Vikings.  I would have LOVED to have seen Ragnar, Lagertha and Floki interacting with the Doctor.

Still, I don’t think there’s been a bad episode yet in Series 9.

Edited by benteen
  • Love 2

I thought this was a good, fun episode.  Strong performances by Capaldi and Maisie Williams.  Even Clara was tolerable here.  The Doctor has a number of nice scenes here.  Always nice to see old footage of 10 and Donna.  I do think Capaldi is coming a little more into his own.

I understand the plot here by bringing Ashildr back but this is basically Captain Jack 2.0, with The Doctor’s Daughter and River Song thrown in for good measure.

Vikings seems to be a big thing now.  BBC America has their own Vikings show but I’m forever loyal to the History Channel’s Vikings.  I would have LOVED to have seen Ragnar, Lagertha and Floki interacting with the Doctor.

Still, I don’t think there’s been a bad episode yet in Series 9.

maybe next we'll have zombie vikings fighting arya stark in doctor who, lol.  god help us.

The two bits i had the most trouble with was what he said after the love sprite (?) and reverse the polarity of the neutron flow if someone could help me out there I'd appreciate it

"Reverse the polarity of the neutron flow" was the Third Doctor's solution for every technical issue. The phrase has made its way into the dialogue of just about every Doctor since then.

Has someone put together a supercut video? Of course someone has. I love you, Internet.

Doctor Who Supercut - Reverse the Polarity

• Love 3

The love sprite sucks your brain out through your nose and you die from asphyxiation.  As for the neutron flow, I believe he said, "I'm not sure if that means anything but it sounds impressive."

i did not see the repair wafer coming. i thought the doctor was going to grab two electric eels and put them on her chest.

I was also thinking instant defibrillator.

Lots of references to past doctors.  3's neutron line, 7's "time will tell" line.  10 and Donna.

So the Mire have immortality technology?  That would seem to be a big deal right?  I mean, no need to be afraid of a dragon if you have an army of immortal warriors.

• Love 1

"Reverse the polarity of the neutron flow" was the Third Doctor's solution for every technical issue.

That's kind of an urban myth - he only actually said the line once or twice in his entire run, although he did use a number of variations on the same theme.

I actually forgot this episode was on last night. Says it all, really.

• Love 1

I totally loved this episode. This is the first episode of Doctor Who I've enjoyed in quite a long time.

Handwaviness. It didn't make much sense but then it was better than three quarters of Moffat's Who. I guess we'll see where they go with it but I imagine her joy at being alive was soon replaced with anger over outliving the village she was trying to save. And that would certainly be an improvement over River.

• Love 1

This one had a different feel to it. Darker, more foreboding. I liked it. If I had seen all the warriors in my village killed and someone had a plan that might save my children, I would fake a party to overcome them. Seems reasonable to me.

• Love 2

I liked this a lot, but here's my nitpick of the week: they establish that the Mire harvests testosterone, so why not make the story about the Doctor rallying the viking women left behind? Or at least include one or two of the women in the line-up of people he's trying to train? Or, I don't know, give a single line of dialogue to any viking woman besides Ashildir?

Feels like a missed opportunity, and it wouldn't have needed to drastically reshape the story to go that route.

• Love 5

I liked this a lot, but here's my nitpick of the week: they establish that the Mire harvests testosterone, so why not make the story about the Doctor rallying the viking women left behind? Or at least include one or two of the women in the line-up of people he's trying to train? Or, I don't know, give a single line of dialogue to any viking woman besides Ashildir?

Feels like a missed opportunity, and it wouldn't have needed to drastically reshape the story to go that route.

I got the impression that the episode was a criticism of traditional masculine behaviour - Ashildir got into trouble because she acted 'masculine' by trying to set up a fight. Showing scenes of the Doctor training women to handle swords would have run counter to that message.

(Personally I found it seriously problematic but it was the vibe I got from the episode.)

• Love 1

I got the impression that the episode was a criticism of traditional masculine behaviour - Ashildir got into trouble because she acted 'masculine' by trying to set up a fight. Showing scenes of the Doctor training women to handle swords would have run counter to that message.

(Personally I found it seriously problematic but it was the vibe I got from the episode.)

Yeah, I guess I can see that - doesn't feel necessary though as long as the conclusion was still "let's not fight this the traditional way".  Could have given the story more coloring rather than a few stray jokes about beta males.

I think my larger worry is that the thought process was "We need to make sure Maisie's character stands out as special, so the other women can't really contribute alongside her" - which is just... well, at best it's a lack of imagination.  Although I'll probably leave it there, before I start criticizing the story it wasn't more than the story it was.  

So the Mire have immortality technology?  That would seem to be a big deal right?  I mean, no need to be afraid of a dragon if you have an army of immortal warriors.

Yeah, the immortality inducing first-aid kit opens a whole can of electric eels. At least restrict it by saying it will repair the subject until it wears out in a couple hundred years or so - or decades, or years. Of course, you could insert another one when that happens. (If it works so well, why wait until the warrior is injured to use it. When the warrior graduates from the training program he could get it inserted. But you might not want a bunch of immortal warriors under your command lest they get ideas. Then you're back to  restricting its capabilities in some way.) It undercuts the Doctors comment about immortality being when everyone else dies. Now we know that at least in principal anyone who can get a hold of one of these kits can do it.

On a more pedantic note - Wikipedia tells me that electric eels come from the Amazon river basin.

• Love 1

The 2,000-Year Diary is a call back to 2's 500-Year Diary too

11 had a 1200 year old diary which Clara shows him after he accidentally erases his memory.  It was the setup to one of the retrospective specials around the time of the 50th anniversary.

Really liked the doctor's translation of baby and the general feel of the episode but I also had some problems.  I thought they resolved this Time Lord Victorious stuff last week when the Tardis puts a stop to the doctor's time meddling.  Did he learn his lesson or not?  Pick a direction, please.

Also

I understand the plot here by bringing Ashildr back but this is basically Captain Jack 2.0

Agreed!  How is this any different?  I guess we have to wait until next week, but what happened to this sort of fixed point making giving the doctor the willies?

I didn't mind this one, if Brian Blessed had played Odin I probably would have loved it. This season stays strong for now. I'm also interested in the rather meta acknowledgement of the Clara problem, with 12 realizing she's getting a bit like Victor Frankenstein's monster. 

That said, I'm longing for some originality from the show. I've just watched Enlightenment for the first time, and amazed at how fresh and interesting it feels. 

I just thought of another thing in this episode that bugged me.  When the show gives information to a character, but withholds it from the audience just to create dramatic tension.  Clara and Ashildir are shocked by what the alien really looks like?  Audience won't find out for 30 minutes.  Everyone is shocked by the puppet thing that Ashildir has built?  We won't see it until after the climactic battle.

I get that the show needs to maintain dramatic tension, but it feels cheap when the camera cuts away at just the right time.  Especially because in the first case, it didn't make 1 single bit of difference if we knew what the alien looked like.  It has lots and lots of teeth, that doesn't raise or lower the stakes any.

• Love 3

11 had a 1200 year old diary which Clara shows him after he accidentally erases his memory.  It was the setup to one of the retrospective specials around the time of the 50th anniversary.

Where can this be found, on a dvd or on youtube or?

I didn't mind this one, if Brian Blessed had played Odin I probably would have loved it. 

Oh! If only!  I would have tuned in just to see that, :0)

Thank you, alrightokay, for the answer to the face question!

Edited by elle

This episode was the best we've had all season. The Doctor and his compaion relate to each other in a way that is human. They have a real conversation which goes a long way to explain the Doctor's hysterical concern with "keeping Clara safe". I thought that bit about how Clara's anger and never-giving-up would eventually haunt him was very good writing. Twelve and Clara never really talk these things out so it was good to see them have that private, serious moment.

They seem to be setting up Clara's exit quite nicely. I hope that she exits into a normal life, safe and sound, for the Doctor's sake. It feels like all of the companions have had a rough and bumpy exit. Except Martha. It would be nice to have a smoother transition this time.

Perhaps this will continue on to a storyline where we FINALLY explore how the Doctor's really feeling about getting that cycle upgrade. Judging by this episode I'd say he's not ungrateful for more "stories" but he's facing another 1000years(?) of loving and losing. I would definitely tune in to watch him wrestle with that.

I love seeing old footage too, particularly of Pompeii because that was one of my Ten favourites. I liked seeing the Doctor realise why he chose his face, though the fact that the Doctor could actually chose his own face had slipped my mind until this episode. 

Maisie Williams was a very good addition to the temp-cast. On the other hand, the part where they had her do angelic face and the sadface while the camera was going round had me groaning - it felt tagged on and obvious. But the rest of the time she was extremely believable in her role as storyteller. I wonder that a GoT/DW crossover would look like. If it turns out that the Doctor was at the Battle of Blackwater Bay I am going to lose my shit.

ETA: Is Clara going to mourn or even mention Pink at all this season? Have I missed that scene?

Edited by Trichromatic

I think that it may be different.  What separates out Ashildr (which sounds a bit too Tolkein like to tell you the truth) is that she is a hybrid of two races--both of which like to kill and destroy (humans and mires).  Jack, Jenny, and River (I know she absorbed something from the tardis but still) were all basically human and Jack was made to be constantly reborn by Rose but there was no hybridity there.  I think the key in the last scene with Maisie was not just that she was outliving everyone in a living death but that she was becoming darker in the process.

Yeah, the immortality inducing first-aid kit opens a whole can of electric eels. At least restrict it by saying it will repair the subject until it wears out in a couple hundred years or so - or decades, or years. Of course, you could insert another one when that happens. (If it works so well, why wait until the warrior is injured to use it. When the warrior graduates from the training program he could get it inserted. But you might not want a bunch of immortal warriors under your command lest they get ideas. Then you're back to  restricting its capabilities in some way.) It undercuts the Doctors comment about immortality being when everyone else dies. Now we know that at least in principal anyone who can get a hold of one of these kits can do it.

This did seem to be a weakness but perhaps it is the hybrid nature of it that leads to inevitable immortality.  There was no real sense that the Mire warriors would keep being reborn was there?

• Love 2

I know I shouldn't be annoyed by a highly competent companion, but I am by this one. Why? Is it her supreme smugness?

They seem to be setting up Clara's exit quite nicely. I hope that she exits into a normal life, safe and sound, for the Doctor's sake.

I can't see Clara willingly giving up this life. Surely this won't end well for her.

• Love 4

Let me get this straight. The doctor has a little Scrabble tile that makes you immortal and though I have seen some wonderful companions die across his tv shows and radio plays he decides to use it on Arya Stark? That is just silly. I hope he turns up to save Jon Snow.

• Love 3

I liked the episode. They got the killing out of the way early in the story. There was also had a strong female character. She was actually the bravest person in the village. The villains and the resolution of the crisis were believable enough. They were a bit nonchalant with the use of technology but needs must.

8/10

• Love 2

Let me get this straight. The doctor has a little Scrabble tile that makes you immortal and though I have seen some wonderful companions die across his tv shows and radio plays he decides to use it on Arya Stark? That is just silly. I hope he turns up to save Jon Snow.

No- the little tile was a repair wafer, part of the Mire's "med kit" so to speak. They can use it to repair themselves virtually forever. He kept 2, one for potentially someone else in Ashildr's life, as she may not want to live as an immortal by herself...

• Love 1

I loved this episode. The humour worked, the drama worked and though a little underused, so did Odin and the Mire.

Ashildr was a great guest character and I thought Maisie Williams more than justified the hype. She truly excelled herself in this one.

Ashilsr being immortal though because of the Doctor I didn't see coming.

The face explanation wasn't needed but worked well enough for me. Like the Ten/Donna flashback too.

They're really hammering home death for Clara and one that Twelve won't be able to change I think.

Final shot/music with Ashildr was stunning, 10/10

• Love 2

Another thing that struck me  at the time that I forgot: I was sure there was a "Chekov's Book" in the Viking Hut (not the Doctor's 500 year diary, another one). Aside from looking too modern (which I can accept - this isn't Mad Men), it stuck out because Vikings were not literate (a least until they converted to Christianity). So I was sure that it was going to prove significant - but apparently not, since it wasn't mentioned. Guess that serves me right for giving TPTB too much credit!

This episode was the best we've had all season. The Doctor and his compaion relate to each other in a way that is human. They have a real conversation which goes a long way to explain the Doctor's hysterical concern with "keeping Clara safe". I thought that bit about how Clara's anger and never-giving-up would eventually haunt him was very good writing. Twelve and Clara never really talk these things out so it was good to see them have that private, serious moment.

They seem to be setting up Clara's exit quite nicely. I hope that she exits into a normal life, safe and sound, for the Doctor's sake. It feels like all of the companions have had a rough and bumpy exit. Except Martha. It would be nice to have a smoother transition this time.

Perhaps this will continue on to a storyline where we FINALLY explore how the Doctor's really feeling about getting that cycle upgrade. Judging by this episode I'd say he's not ungrateful for more "stories" but he's facing another 1000years(?) of loving and losing. I would definitely tune in to watch him wrestle with that.

I love seeing old footage too, particularly of Pompeii because that was one of my Ten favourites. I liked seeing the Doctor realise why he chose his face, though the fact that the Doctor could actually chose his own face had slipped my mind until this episode. 

Maisie Williams was a very good addition to the temp-cast. On the other hand, the part where they had her do angelic face and the sadface while the camera was going round had me groaning - it felt tagged on and obvious. But the rest of the time she was extremely believable in her role as storyteller. I wonder that a GoT/DW crossover would look like. If it turns out that the Doctor was at the Battle of Blackwater Bay I am going to lose my shit.

ETA: Is Clara going to mourn or even mention Pink at all this season? Have I missed that scene?

Maybe this explains Petyr Baelish's amazing travel abilities.