Type keyword(s) to search

S09.E07: The Battles Premiere

• Start Topic

Blake kept Zack. There were battles featuring all the teams not one coach versus another. I loved Ain't No Mountain High Enough. I was surprised there were so many steals on the first night.

Thanks! I didn't think Zack would be eliminated this early, but for some reason I'm interested to see how he'll evolve with Blake. Glad to know every team had performances rather than just two of them.

Caught "Walking in Memphis" and absolutely loved the job Dustin and Barrett both did with it. I thought they were exceptional in phrasing and tone, both separately and together. I would have chosen Dustin, but understand why Blake would prefer Barrett's more robust approach (and probably more marketable looks).

I don't usually root for Adam to get another 4 chair turn on the steal, but in this case I think Dustin made the right choice. Gwen's pitches are so annoying--"We can hang out together! I'm hot and I'll do a duet with you!" Plus, while he politely told Blake "Who doesn't like Neil Diamond?" I don't really think that's what his soulful style of singing is about. I remember Gwen being a good coach in past seasons, during the actual rehearsals. But she is just -terrible- on the competition for singers and seems to have less musical knowledge than Blake (at least he shows knowledge in a genre.  I don't get much from her about anything.)

I don't think Adam will take Dustin into the lives, but at least he'll give him a chance to do one more showcase performance, maybe help with a local career. I think he's really so good.

Edited by Padma
  • Love 3

This is my first season watching the show, and mostly I'm loving it. The blind auditions were exactly what auditions should be, and the level of talent seems very high. I could live without the Blake/Adam nonsense (faux nastiness covering faux bromance?) but that's a small irritation.

I was wondering, though, why in some battles the remaining singer is available to steal, while in others it isn't an option. It seemed random to me. And I would have thought Celeste, for example, would start a bidding war.

Adam has John Freaking Fogerty as his 'advisor', Pharrell has Missy Elliot, and Blake has Brad Paisley, while Gwen has... Selena Gomez???

• Love 2

I was wondering, though, why in some battles the remaining singer is available to steal, while in others it isn't an option. It seemed random to me. And I would have thought Celeste, for example, would start a bidding war.

??

I'm pretty sure that any singer who loses the battle is available to steal. I think if none of the judges are interested, they don't air the " available to steal!..............No? Nobody?" Edited by backformore
  • Love 2

I'm pretty sure that any singer who loses the battle is available to steal. I think if none of the judges are interested, they don't air the " available to steal!..............No? Nobody?"

Occasionally they'll air Carson saying "So-and-so is available to steal..." followed by the crickets of the other three judges basically sitting on their hands.  It's a pretty awkward, uncomfortable moment so I don't mind the producers editing that down to basically the thank yous from the singers going home.

• Love 7

I was glad to see Ellie vs. Tim, as opposed to someone who was more in her wheelhouse. The arrangement of the song was a little rough. Also glad she's staying.  I did like 'Walking in Memphis' on both artists' parts. I don't enjoy Sam Smith, to put it lightly, and neither artist was on my must-watch list, so I FFed through their entire segment.

I was so shocked that Celeste wasn't stolen.  I would have taken her over Regina and Tim any day.  In fact I think the only reason Gwen didn't take her was because she had just gotten Regina.

I agree that the battle round of Fortunate Son wasn't the best and neither one really captured the anger of it, but man seeing John Fogerty mentor it was just awesome.  One of the coolest moments ever on the show as far as I'm concerned.

I think it's hard to do wrong with Walking in Memphis.  Such a great, vivid song.

BTW Pharrell and Missy really are homies.  Both are from Virginia Beach.  Love them both.

• Love 6

I was afraid Dustin Monk was going to get screwed immediately. I thought he had one of the half-dozen most interesting tones and voices we heard throughout all the blinds. And the Gary Clark Jr. song choice was a nice bonus too.

Is Tim Atlas the first montaged audition in Voice history to gain a steal? I can't think of anyone else off the top of my head. Was pleasantly surprised w/ Gwen's song choice and her and Selena's coaching/encouragement. They seemed to help him focus his introverted nature into a performance that kept my attention. And when in doubt, get rid of the guitar.

Blake wasted a steal, but regardless Adam should've kept Regina and kicked Jordan to the curb. The "most shocking" voice evah needs to go away. Soon.

I laughed when Regina said, "wow, John Fogerty, he's the guy who wrote Proud Mary for Tina Turner." No, he didn't. Tina Turner covered one of the most iconic rock songs ever written. Her version is cool in it's own right, but it's still a cover. Did Regina never hear of Creedence Clearwater?

That aside, I'm not impressed by her singing. She's a very "by the numbers" soul shouter, nothing original, and I don't think her voice holds a candle to some of the past contestants they've had in that genre. But it's a style that seems underrepresented this season, which is why I think she's gotten as far as she has. And I cringe whenever I hear someone say, "I was born to do this."

Sorry we lost Dustin Monk, the singing barber. I liked his personality and his singing. I don't care for James Dupre. He seems kind of smarmy and insincere. I started rooting for him to lose his battle as soon as he said he was doing it all for his sons. Really? You're not doing it just a little bit for yourself?

I also noticed that they edited out a lot of the "so and so is available for a steal" segments where no judge hits their buzzer. Probably a good thing.

Edited by bluepiano
  • Love 8

I like Jordan but why are they acting like they have never heard a voice like him before? Sure, I have... both for male and female. Maybe not on the Voice but surely in their lifetime?!

Nevertheless, he's a good singer so I'm not mad he stayed.

James on the other hand is boring without any x factor.

I'm glad Zach beat Miracle Kid or whatever his child star name was back in his "heyday." I don't dislike him, but I think Zach has more room for growth and Tyler (that's it) has his niche. I love Zach's voice.

I'm going to go out on a skinny limb here, wait for all the naysayers, and say I'm not surprised at all Celeste wasn't stolen. Sadly, I think Gwen would have taken her in a heartbeat if she hadn't already stolen the lady from Adam's team. While there were soaring moments in their arrangement of Ain't No Mountain, I just didn't care for it to the degree that many did. But I hate oversinging unless it's from someone with a voice like Christina. And even then the runs can be a bit gratuitous after a while.

I'm shocked Adam did pick the unique voice guy over the traditional soul singer lady. I figured he would be out on his battle round because of his untraditional looks. You know how superficial Adam can be. I agree with everyone else that it's hard to believe they haven't ever heard a voice like his, but what I really think they mean is, <paraphrasing> "your voice is so cool, we can't believe you look like you look and can still have a cool voice."

I hated Fortunate Son also, but that's what happens when you pick two singers who weren't even alive during the first gulf war to sing a song about Viet Nam. That's a time in history that people who weren't there just won't get. John Fogerty talking about the angst he felt when he wrote it was amazing, but I knew it would be lost on those two. Having said that, I would have chosen barber Dustin over James. But then I haven't been a "James fan" even starting with his audition. He has that faux country humility thing on lock, but you can tell it's part of his shtick and not necessarily his personality. I don't think America will ultimately vote for him unless he really turns things out going forward.

Finally, the final battle of the night:  I guess that was a tough one. I would have chosen Dustin over Benton (?) anyday. Benton bugged me with his performing antics in his audition and he did the same tired performance last night. I DO think he has a good voice, but he's so intent on the act of looking like a performer (drama teacher? is that the reason?) that it overshadows the actual singing for me; he's all cattle, no hat. I think Blake picked him because of his looks over Dustin, but I prefer Dustin's voice so much more. It also unreasonably bugged me that Benton kept going back and forth between "ma'am I am" and "man I am." I don't know why, but I'm weird like that. Sadly, I don't think Adam will do much more with Dustin, either, but I'm so glad he was stolen. He deserved it based on that performance alone. And between Adam and Gwen, Adam was the best choice, especially when Gwen went with her "I'm a cute girl, tee hee" argument again.

Edited by PepperMonkey
  • Love 1

I wouldn't steal Celeste also to be honest. Let's be real, she's not gonna win the show. Mark can be quite special if Pharrell knows what to do with him. He's a dynamic performer.

I'm glad Zach won over Tyler too. Tyler is the superior singer, no doubt but this is one of the rare times I agreed with both Adam and Blake (without thinking that it's bullshit justification) that Tyler performs in auto-pilot mode. He did it during his blind audition too. Which is too bad because Tyler is very talented.

Speaking of auto pilot... I feel the same about bland James Dupre. Just an average singer, nothing more. Dustin M. was the more interesting one imo.

I preferred Dustin's voice more than Barette's. Both are good singers though. I don't fault Blake for going with Barette because Barette is probably going to get more votes than Dustin.

I was afraid Dustin Monk was going to get screwed immediately. I thought he had one of the half-dozen most interesting tones and voices we heard throughout all the blinds. And the Gary Clark Jr. song choice was a nice bonus too.

Is Tim Atlas the first montaged audition in Voice history to gain a steal? I can't think of anyone else off the top of my head. Was pleasantly surprised w/ Gwen's song choice and her and Selena's coaching/encouragement. They seemed to help him focus his introverted nature into a performance that kept my attention. And when in doubt, get rid of the guitar.

Blake wasted a steal, but regardless Adam should've kept Regina and kicked Jordan to the curb. The "most shocking" voice evah needs to go away. Soon.

I believe Cole Vosbury in season 5 also had a montaged audition.  He was on CeeLo's team and was stolen by Blake either during the knockouts or the battles.  He was Blake's last standing contestant placing 4th and just missed making the top 3. 

Am I insane?  I kept thinking I'm going to be Somebody/Travis Tritt sounded an awful lot like Shooting Star/Bad Compnay?

Ellie's dress made me nuts - the stripes did not line up on the sides! 

But Brad Paisley?  Yeah!  I don't care for country music since Patsy Cline and Hank Williams (OR), but Brad Paisley makes me laugh from when I've seen him on The Crazy Ones

• Love 1

I called Adam's first battle round in another thread.  My hunch was that he was not pleased with Regina when he turned his chair.  She can sing but image is just as large a factor.  She is not current with her 70's style and that will hold her back.  I said he would pair her (in first round) with someone he sees as possible winner.  I was right.  Just taking a moment to gloat though it was not difficult to predict. 

Gwen stole her.  What?  I said to myself. 

I missed why Adam shaved his head.  Not a great look on him.  I guess it is for a movie role; I ruled out ring worm and lice.  

ETA.   Nope, no reason really.  He said it was a reboot.  Cute

Edited by wings707
  • Love 5

Word on the street (spoilers) is that all the steals were used up when Mark and Celeste battled. These coaches don't seem particularly strategic with their steals.

I could be wrong, but was Pharrell the only one to turn for Celeste during the blind auditions? If that was the case, I can see why nobody would steal her after she was cut. She was amazing during the battle and I would listen to them singing duets all day long.

I loved the Walking in Memphis battle. I thought both of them sounded amazing, but I would have picked Dustin.

Anyone else think Dustin looks exactly like a slightly chunkier Joss Whedon?

2015_TheVoice_S9_BioPhotos_DustinChristeJoss_Whedon_by_Gage_Skidmore_4.jpg

• Love 1

Jordan is from my area, plus I think he sings great, so I was really happy he advanced.  But count me among the shocked that Celeste wasn't stolen.  I thought she had one of the best vocals of the night, by far.

Really excited to see Missy as Pharrell's advisor - she's just so cool.

I meant to say Adam looks funny with a shaved head.  Lex Luthor indeed.

Anyone else think Dustin looks exactly like a slightly chunkier Joss Whedon?

Yes, I can especially see it without the hat.

Edited by vb68

Tim vs Ellie - we all know that The Voice - after the blinds - is not so much about The Voice anymore as it is about the whole package. Tim doesn't have much stage presence, and what he has is kind of awkward and creepy. He just doesn't seem comfortable in his own skin.. Ellie has a Katy Perry vibe, but slightly grittier which I think I like and she has confidence which comes shining through. Glad that Pharrell stole Tim - maybe he can channel that awkwardness into something weird and cool.

Tyler vs Zach - Tyler turned me off when he turned on the waterworks in the blinds. Zach has more of the "it factor" than Tyler does, but he's kind of cheesey. So, I didn't care who won this battle or not...actually, I think Tyler's hair should have won.

Dustin vs James - James is b.o.r.i.n.g.- let loose, man! Too closed off - I don't think he connected with anyone. Dustin did a much better job of performing and being relatable which is important on this show. No one's going to vote for you if they don't like you or relate to you in some way.  Unless James can loosen up, he will be gone soon, I'm sure!

Celeste vs Mark - loved this battle! They both brought everything they had to it, but I think Pharrell made the right choice. Celeste has a stellar voice and talent and she is gorgeous, but she herself said her passion is gospel and there's not much room for that in the pop/country market which this competition leans more towards. I love Mark and watching him perform, but he needs to dial it back a little! I hope Pharrell will help him rein it in and control all that energy. Wonder what he sounds like on a slower song.

Barrett vs Dustin - I just don't hear this "tone" that Blake keeps referring to re: Barrett's voice - to me it sounds thin and reedy. Dustin has a much smoother quality that's easier to listen to.  That said, Barrett has the whole package -  I think he'd even be relatable and relevant in today's market and he sure is easy on the eyes. :D 

Jordan vs Regina - just like Barrett is relatable and relevant, I don't think Regina is at all. She has a powerhouse voice and is talented, but I just don't think the music scene these days is churning out diva-type singers like her.  Jordan is so milquetoast, but glad to see him step it up a notch by moving around on stage!

Out of this group, I see Barrett and grudgingly, Jordan and maybe Mark and Ellie moving farther ahead than any of the other winners.

Edited by teapot100
  • Love 4

Is Tim Atlas the first montaged audition in Voice history to gain a steal? I can't think of anyone else off the top of my head. 

I believe Cole Vosbury in season 5 also had a montaged audition.  He was on CeeLo's team and was stolen by Blake either during the knockouts or the battles.  He was Blake's last standing contestant placing 4th and just missed making the top 3. 

Montaged contestants have gotten stolen before in the battle rounds.  Can't remember names, but there have definitely been a few.

Not Cole though. I remember his blind audition of the Jeffersons' theme song was shown in full.  

I'm pretty sure that any singer who loses the battle is available to steal. I think if none of the judges are interested, they don't air the " available to steal!..............No? Nobody?"

The show has in fact aired some non-steals in the past and shown the awkwardness when the coaches don't do anything. 

There's a lot of editing on this show.  We don't know what order the battles were filmed.  Sometimes, the coaches are out of steals by the time certain battles are performed.  Contestants have mentioned this in post-show interviews.  

I'm shocked Adam did pick the unique voice guy over the traditional soul singer lady. I figured he would be out on his battle round because of his untraditional looks. You know how superficial Adam can be. 

Adam may be superficial in real life and date mainly Victoria's Secrets models.  But on the show, he has been pretty diverse with regard to who he advances.  

• Love 1

Good start. I didn't see anyone leaving who should have stayed (yet). I was surprised by a couple of the steals (Pharrell for Tim was one). I did prefer Dustin Monk over James whom I find incredibly average, but I wasn't surprised. More surprising to me was Adam keeping Jordan--such an amazing voice and, beyond the hair and clothing, he actually looked like he'd lost a significant amount of weight since the blinds, I thought it showed in his face.

Adam has John Fogerty. Pharrell has Missy Elliot. Blake has Braid Paisley.  And Gwen, who is already handicapped by over-reliance on flirty comments and her apparent lack of broad musical knowledge gets Selena Gomez as an advisor. Why, show? I know little about Selena Gomez as an artist, but she's very young while the others are so experienced, and she's not nearly as accomplished. Plus, when the intro mentioned her fashion line it seemed again that she was like Gwen, in a bad way. Gwen already seems so lightweight as a coach, why couldn't they give her someone amazing (bring back Swift? She's not purely country and was a very good mentor). 

Maybe they don't want anyone who would overshadow Gwen but she really needs someone who will give her team more stature. "We can hang out and sing duets together" or "I can fix your clothes and we'll go shopping for shoes" is a pitch than would only make a complete fanboy/girl or a very insecure artist choose her over Adam, Blake or Pharrell, imo. Why can't she say something more substantive to them? I think she's spent too much time relying on her looks and its just not working for her like usual in this context.

• Love 2

Tim vs Ellie - we all know that The Voice - after the blinds - is not so much about The Voice anymore as it is about the whole package. Tim doesn't have much stage presence, and what he has is kind of awkward and creepy. He just doesn't seem comfortable in his own skin.. Ellie has a Katy Perry vibe, but slightly grittier which I think I like and she has confidence which comes shining through. Glad that Pharrell stole Tim - maybe he can channel that awkwardness into something weird and cool.

Tyler vs Zach - Tyler turned me off when he turned on the waterworks in the blinds. Zach has more of the "it factor" than Tyler does, but he's kind of cheesey. So, I didn't care who won this battle or not...actually, I think Tyler's hair should have won.

Dustin vs James - James is b.o.r.i.n.g.- let loose, man! Too closed off - I don't think he connected with anyone. Dustin did a much better job of performing and being relatable which is important on this show. No one's going to vote for you if they don't like you or relate to you in some way.  Unless James can loosen up, he will be gone soon, I'm sure!

Celeste vs Mark - loved this battle! They both brought everything they had to it, but I think Pharrell made the right choice. Celeste has a stellar voice and talent and she is gorgeous, but she herself said her passion is gospel and there's not much room for that in the pop/country market which this competition leans more towards. I love Mark and watching him perform, but he needs to dial it back a little! I hope Pharrell will help him rein it in and control all that energy. Wonder what he sounds like on a slower song.

Barrett vs Dustin - I just don't hear this "tone" that Blake keeps referring to re: Barrett's voice - to me it sounds thin and reedy. Dustin has a much smoother quality that's easier to listen to.  That said, Barrett has the whole package -  I think he'd even be relatable and relevant in today's market and he sure is easy on the eyes. :D 

Jordan vs Regina - just like Barrett is relatable and relevant, I don't think Regina is at all. She has a powerhouse voice and is talented, but I just don't think the music scene these days is churning out diva-type singers like her.  Jordan is so milquetoast, but glad to see him step it up a notch by moving around on stage!

Out of this group, I see Barrett and grudgingly, Jordan and maybe Mark and Ellie moving farther ahead than any of the other winners.

I agree with everything you said here.  I was able to accurately guess who they chose every time and it came down to appearance/style.  You have to look current with a salable image.  Gwen stealing Regina was the only surprise.  It looked as if she got caught up in the moment rather than really thinking Regina could win.  She will probably go first when viewers vote.   She looks like a Supreme back when they were doing state fairs.  I saw them at the Michigan State Fair when I was a kid.  

I was so shocked that Celeste wasn't stolen.  I would have taken her over Regina and Tim any day.  In fact I think the only reason Gwen didn't take her was because she had just gotten Regina.

I was especially shocked because Adam said something to the agonizing Pharrell like "You can't make a bad choice because that was the best battle in Voice history". So then no one steals 1/2 of that BBIVH? Not a Celeste fan but I thought it odd all the same.

• Love 1

I laughed when Regina said, "wow, John Fogerty, he's the guy who wrote Proud Mary for Tina Turner.

This bugged me too but she did reference CCR so she gets a pass.  I didn't love her but she seemed nice.  

It also unreasonably bugged me that Benton kept going back and forth between "ma'am I am" and "man I am."

Drove me bonkers!! Yet,  you calling him Benton bothers me not at all.  Hmmmmm.  But, I  was happy he finally cleaned it up with "Ma'am" during the performance.   

Really excited to see Missy as Pharrell's advisor - she's just so cool.

I used to like Missy a lot but does anyone remember a reality show she had several years ago where she (if I remember) offered a recording deal to the winner?  She sent one contestant home when he drew bigger cheers than her at an event at her old school. (He was perty...girls were squealing)   I think she said something like "who do you think you are" to him at the event.  Told me all I needed to know about her. Another contestant told her he wasn't feeling a track she made for them....yep .....out the door before the sun went down.  

She looked stoned out of her mind last night.  

Not Cole though. I remember his blind audition of the Jeffersons' theme song was shown in full.

Awww he was so cute.  

• Love 1

I honestly don't remember Cole's audition at all, except for the little bit shown. Maybe my area didn't show it all. I say that because he was my favorite and I was surprised when he was shown in the knockouts , as I didn't remember him. I know it was shown later in the season.

I was especially shocked because Adam said something to the agonizing Pharrell like "You can't make a bad choice because that was the best battle in Voice history". So then no one steals 1/2 of that BBIVH? Not a Celeste fan but I thought it odd all the same.

I don't take what the judges say after a battle round all that seriously.  On the top of their minds is to praise both singers in some way so they leave feeling good and hopeful.  Teapot brought up a good point.  Celeste's roots and love is for gospel music.  That could be difficult to work into a style that veers too far away from that.  

Gwen will probably put Summer and Kota (both purple haired girls) against each other.  Their visual image is too much the same to keep them both.  

Edited by wings707

I called Adam's first battle round in another thread.  My hunch was that he was not pleased with Regina when he turned his chair.  She can sing but image is just as large a factor.  She is not current with her 70's style and that will hold her back.  I said he would pair her (in first round) with someone he sees as possible winner.  I was right.  Just taking a moment to gloat though it was not difficult to predict. 

Gwen stole her.  What?  I said to myself. 

I think Adam looked over his team, and decided who was at the bottom of who he wanted to take to the finals, and that was the person he paired with Jordan for the battle.   Adam said Jordan was something like "the most important contestant we've had on the show", so he was certainly NOT going to lose him early in the contest.   Regina was history no matter what.  

I think Adam looked over his team, and decided who was at the bottom of who he wanted to take to the finals, and that was the person he paired with Jordan for the battle.   Adam said Jordan was something like "the most important contestant we've had on the show", so he was certainly NOT going to lose him early in the contest.   Regina was history no matter what.  

Yes!  We are saying the exact same thing.  :>)

I honestly don't remember Cole's audition at all, except for the little bit shown. Maybe my area didn't show it all. I say that because he was my favorite and I was surprised when he was shown in the knockouts , as I didn't remember him. I know it was shown later in the season.

His blind audition wasn't anything special. I remember it because of the odd song choice. I also remember many people on the boards (including myself) being surprised by Cole's strong knockout performance. He wasn't really on anyone's radar because he was a 1-chair turn and his battle was montaged.

I believe Cole Vosbury in season 5 also had a montaged audition.

You're right, Cole was not montaged.  I remember thinking his choice of audition song was so fun and unique, I'd love him.  And I did.  Still one of my favorite contestants on The Voice.

I thought it was a pretty meh battle episode.  No one really wowed me.  Battles annoy me anyway because there's so much screeching and wailing as each singer tries to outdo the other.  I absolutely hated "Walking in Memphis."  Blake told Dustin and Barrett to go out and "destroy" the song, and they did.  I'm also tired of guys in the porkpie hats.  I know they think it's a good look but it seems like it's time for that particular fashion trend to die a natural death. 

Adam does not have a skull for the bald thing.  In profile, he had some sort of upward bullet thing going on and it wasn't good.   

Edited by limecoke
  • Love 2

Those were some pretty boring battles. :(

I was hoping for more from Benedict Cumberbatch, though I think Adam's choice of Fogerty's Fortunate Son was an unfortunate one for him.

And then Adam stole Joss Whedon at the end. Makes it a Marvel night all around.

• Love 1

I hated the Fortunate Son battle. Ugh. But Fogerty! That was amazing. In my dreams he sits them all down and educates them about the music business.

My husband has a man crush on Zach. One more "Wow that kid's good looking" and the TV was going off.

• Love 4
Am I insane?  I kept thinking I'm going to be Somebody/Travis Tritt sounded an awful lot like Shooting Star/Bad Compnay?

You're not insane.  I'd never heard Travis Tritt's song because I don't care for county music.  That was a total rip-off, but the chord-progression, the melody, and even the theme of the song.

I couldn't really focus on the performance because I was so distracted by the blatant plagiarism.   

I had the same thought about Somebody, but fast-forwarded through the battle so didn't hear more than the intro. Now that others have mentioned it, I checked out the song on youtube and dang! There is really no denying it. Travis Tritt must certainly have cribbed from Bad Company. Blatantly.

Finally, the final battle of the night:  I guess that was a tough one. I would have chosen Dustin over Benton (?) anyday. Benton bugged me with his performing antics in his audition and he did the same tired performance last night. I DO think he has a good voice, but he's so intent on the act of looking like a performer (drama teacher? is that the reason?) that it overshadows the actual singing for me; he's all cattle, no hat.

I'm so there with you.  I couldn't stand to LOOK at him.  He was so fake, so phony, so so so - just.  Not.  

Barrett lost me at his audition with that whole "I'm trying to pioneer a new sound" gibberish. Blake would've won my undying love forever had he responded "...Or, you're actually a 3rd rate Brett Eldredge clone."

Sadly, Dustin C.'s stoopid hat left us nowhere to turn for relief to avoid his schtick and affectations on Walking in Memphis...