Type keyword(s) to search

S09.E07: The Battles Premiere

• Start Topic

Sadly, I agree with you all about Barette. I don't think he is arrogant but he's so earnest and over the top. Good singer but tone it down, dude! His stage mannerisms when he sings actually take away from his good voice. Take it down like 10 notches.

That said, I don't blame Blake for going with him because Dustin is charisma free.

Okay.  Really late here, but catching up.

Team rosters/cheat sheets:

Team Adam

Jordan Smith (defeated Regina Love)

Dustin Christensen (stolen from Team Blake)

(Still Waiting)

Keith Semple

Amanda Ayala

Manny Cabo

Cassandra Robertson

Chance Peña

Viktor Király

Andi & Alex

Shelby Brown

Team Gwen

Ellie Lawrence (defeated Tim Atlas)

Regina Love (stolen from Team Adam)

(Still Waiting)

Kota Wade

Braiden Sunshine

Noah Jackson

Hanna Ashbrook

Jeffery Austin

Lyndsey Elm

Korin Bukowski

Alex Kandel

Chase Kerby

Summer Schappell

Team Pharrell

Mark Hood (defeated Celeste Betton)

Tim Atlas (stolen from Team Gwen)

(Still Waiting)

Siahna Im

Ivonne Acero

Evan McKeel

Madi Davis

Riley Biederer

Daria Jazmin

Jubal & Amanda

Darius Scott

Amy Vachal

Sydney Rhame

Team Blake

Zach Seabaugh (defeated Tyler Dickerson)

Barrett Baber (defeated Dustin Christensen)

(Still Waiting)

Nadjah Nicole

Blind Joe

Emily Ann Roberts

Morgan Frazier

Chris Crump

Krista Hughes

Cole Criske

Blaine Mitchell

Names in bold indicate someone who has newly won a battle and stayed on his or her team, or has been freshly stolen.  An asterisk indicates that this contestant was montaged.

So the battles:

Jordan vs. Regina: Regina found out the hard way.  A black artist should not pick Adam under any circumstance, because he will dump you right quick.  She's very lucky that Gwen stole her.  Her little shuffle when she was stolen was cute, though.  As for the performance itself, it actually wasn't bad!  I thought Regina was better, but . . . well . . . see what I just said.

Tyler vs. Zach: I didn't pay much attention since I'm not a country fan, but I do think, from what I did pay attention to, that Zach sounded much better.

Ellie vs. Tim: Wow!  How did Tim only get one chair turn?  He sounded amazing!  And he and Ellie had a good vocal mix!  I actually might've gone with Tim, but I can see why Gwen picked Ellie.  And I loved how happy she was for Tim when he was stolen by Pharrell.

Celeste vs. Mark: Another incredible battle!  Celeste had the voice, but Mark had the voice and the stage presence, so I think I would've picked him, too.  Plus, a four-chair turn vs. a one-chair turn?  No contest.  But I felt so sad for Celeste when she sang during her goodbye.  She deserved another shot, too.

Dustin vs. James: Hmm.  I might've given the edge to Dustin here.  I felt like his voice was more cutting than James's.  James definitely did well, too, but I think he only won because Adam is too desperate to win with a country artist.  Poor Dustin seemed especially heartbroken, though, when he lost.

Barrett vs. Dustin: Oh, that was no contest.  I'd have gone with Barrett, no doubt.  Dustin was also amazing.  I don't think Blake could've gone wrong, either way.  I was glad that Barrett moved on.  But I have no further interest in Dustin now that Adam has him to ruin.  I never take much interest in Adam's contestants.  If he'd picked Gwen, I'd still be interested, but . . . oh, well.

Lots of great battles.  I'm gonna move on to the second battle episode after I read everyone's comments for this one.

Edited by Bryce Smith

Is Tim Atlas the first montaged audition in Voice history to gain a steal? I can't think of anyone else off the top of my head.

Blake wasted a steal

No.  Clinton Washington from Team Christina last season was montaged in his blind audition, and then stolen after he lost to India Carney in the Battles.  Both Adam and Pharrell went for him, and he chose Adam.  Turned out to be the worst decision he could've made.  Adam promptly dumped him in favor Nathan Hermida in the Knockouts.

Edited by Bryce Smith
  • Love 1

I thought these were pretty crushing "battles".

Jordan v Regina: I was completely on board with Jordan.  Regina sounded harsh and generic to my ears.  I could not believe it when she was stolen - I think Gwen completely wasted a steal.  I'd like to be proven wrong.  Adam made the right choice, though.

Tyler v Zach: Zach showed so much improvement, and I loved his smooth voice.  Tyler, despite the judges talking about his experience and polish, did not impress me.  He sounded rough.  Easy choice for Blake - you can see that he didn't even hesitate, and he is the nicest one there.

Ellie v Tim: I thought Tim won the battle, although I liked Ellie's blind audition.  I think they mangled Sweater Weather.

Celeste v Mark: I thought Celeste wiped the floor with Mark.  Yes, Mark has some charisma, but I don't think it's at the star level, or even the tv level.  Big mistake on Pharrell's part, I think Celeste might be special.  I so wish she had been the one who had gotten the steal instead of Regina.

James v Dustin M. "Fortunate Man" - eh.

Barrett v Dustin C. "Walking in Memphis" - I actually liked this one a lot from both of them and thought Barrett deserved the nod.  I'm glad he's still on Team Blake.  I also thought Dustin C. deserved a second life on Adam's team and sort of hope he finds his way back to Blake's team.  I'll see myself out now.