Type keyword(s) to search

Season 3 Discussion

• Start Topic

There's something about Mark that seems either closeted or asexual. Not wanting to sleep in the same bed originally or now complaints of no affection strike me as odd with someone you plan to marry. Plus, he's so fashion oriented, most hetero men don't dress to that fine of haberdashery.

Or its just generational and he is giving plausible deniability to Nikki to say that they did not engage in sex until after the legal marriage

I don't understand why the families/friends of the financés aren't straight up with them. If I was the Prague dance partner, I would have told Aleksandra to take the first flight back home, instead of telling her it will be okay. If TLC had showed him the b-roll, he would have been singing a different tune. In fact, each of them should have an escape plane ticket.

I got Mark's frustration with Nikki messing up his orderly bookshelf - I would have been pissed too.  Loren, on the other hand, was ridiculous in making the closet off limits to Alexi.  How did she have so many clothes in that closet anyway? I thought she lived in New York.

• Love 1

Loren strikes me as the type to take clothing for a year on a weekend trip. She probably packed every stitch of clothing she owns and managed to purchase plenty more in the very short time since moving down. She was probably online shopping while on the road and having the orders shipped to the parents' condo!

Edited by pollywood
  • Love 3

I got Mark's frustration with Nikki messing up his orderly bookshelf - I would have been pissed too.  Loren, on the other hand, was ridiculous in making the closet off limits to Alexi.  How did she have so many clothes in that closet anyway? I thought she lived in New York.

Except that's not true, his bookshelf (as seen in previous clips) was a mess of faded old bingo games from the seventies, with paperbacks in every direction.  It looked like it hasn't been cleaned in 30 years, much like his zebra bed sheets.

• Love 5

I'm shocked that Loren is even sharing her bedroom with Alexei. First he dared to put his bag on the "shoe chair", then was told the closet is HER closet, and finally, he's shown the couple of small drawers that she is allowing him to use.  Miss self-absorbed should have been comforting Alexei after the depressing phone call home instead of retreating to the bedroom and locking him out. That poor guy is in for a rough time if he stays with her.

Aleksandra is definitely not ready for marriage and should go back to Prague and dance her little heart out.  Josh doesn't seem ready either.

In one scene, Carolina tries on wedding dresses and, in the next, talks about Fernando cheating and how she doesn't know if she can trust him. Not a good foundation to base a marriage on. Besides, she must be looking at him through beer glasses because she can surely do much better. 

Is Mark really that dense? Between his constant talk about his ex and treating Nikki like a child, the poor girl needs to get the hell out of Dodge.

I can see Devar helping his family out, but does he really expect to send 90% of his paycheck back home and only contribute 10% to his new family? It sounds like his sisters didn't work until he left, and he not only provided for them financially, but also did all the cooking. Time to take care of yourselves, ladies!

There were so many red flags in this episode that I think every one of them, including the girl in New Orleans, should go back to their own country and be glad they got out of these relationships. I don't see any of them working out.

Me, too, not one of these couple are going to make it, none make good couples!

• Love 2

It is interesting how distant Mark is from Nikki now that they're home.  I remember he said that his first wife was all about the money and buying her things, and so you would think that she would have been pushing him to work more.  Nikki wants him to spend more time with her, is happy with the zip tie ring, etc.  So my thoughts are either that she genuinely loves him, or girlfriend is in it for the long con.  She has probably heard the story of the gold digging ex wife a billion more times than we have, in copious detail.  So, while he chose her because she is similar to his ex in the good ways (young, pretty, Filipino, etc), she's making sure he sees how different she is from the ex by not being materialistic.  I think even though Nikki is only 19, she's a lot smarter than she lets on.

I was so happy to see that Nikki has some sass is her personality!

• Love 3

Let me help you. Frankly, I think this term is used easily by those who view women as fungible commodities as opposed to actual people, freely exchangeable or replaceable for another of like kind or in this case hotness. It also helps that in such situations that said fungible commodity is lacking in agency and at a poor economic advantage, whereby even the most shall we say aesthetically challenged, aged and whom tumescence can only be achieved through great concentration and medical intervention will find their attentions encouraged.

I think calling any woman or man "damaged goods" who hasn't harmed another man, woman, child or animal on this earth is unwarranted and worthy of all manner of side eye and shade.

Marry me!

• Love 8

Poor Aleksandra. Her life is going to be miserable.

At first I thought Loren was moving to Florida to ... uhm ... preserve her virtue; at least give the impression of doing so publicly. Then, dad is all "I don't want to hear you fucking my daughter" (paraphrased ... Sort of) Dude! Seriously?

Carolina must have a reason to want to come to the USA and this asshole is the "fee" for that privilege.

Devar annoys me. Melanie, too.

I know!  I was like "really?"

I felt really badly for Alexei. I thought his family was horrible. He's in a new country with strangers and all his father could say was, "your brother is beside himself because you left, your mom's upset because you left, I'm stuck taking care of this old lady because you left and I can't even go fishing because you left." Damn! Cut the guy a break. Talk about a guilt trip. Instead of running out of the room and crying, Loren should've been comforting him for having the worst Skype call in history. Not the other way around. I find smoking gross, but I can see why the poor guy needed a cigarette.

I think Loren's parents' condo is a decent size, but they likely had a much bigger home in New York or wherever they're from and didn't do a good job of downsizing. That's why it looks so cluttered. Loren's sister has Linda Evans/Judith Light frost that I haven't seen since the mid 80's. No wonder she looks like the older sister instead of a kid in college.

I loved Carolina's mom's lipstick. Booby Hill Fernando is just full of insults isn't he? I see his game. Now he says Carolina's English is terrible. Her English isn't great, but it's better than my Spanish and I think she can get by for a little while in friggin Miami dude. Surely NOBODY speaks Spanish there, right Booby? His sly little insults seem like a way to keep Carolina dependent on him.

I miss Noon. Less Fernando and more Noon please.

Melanie's sisters = Patty and Selma. The one with the clown hair looked so pleased with herself when Devar said he'd be sending money home.

All my West Indian friends' parents send things back home. Whether it's money or things like toilet paper and detergent because those things can be very expensive. They definitely don't send 90% of their income though. I'm wondering where the father of Devar's niece and nephew is though. He's only 28 and shouldn't have to be supporting his sister's kids if they have a father.

I was shocked by Devar's 90% (which he described in a bizarre 9/10 phrase).  I know people from all over the world who send money home but, unless you are single, you don't send 90%.  I was also wondering where his sisters' husbands are.  Those kids have a father.  And, he seems to be the youngest of the children. Why is he responsible for all of the bills? What does his mother do with her money?  She is not living a life of luxury so she should send her income back home. OR, she can help support Devar while he is waiting for his work permit. She left him when he was a "tender" age so she needs to step up now.

If Loren is a real New Yorker, she cannot think that a 3 bedroom condo is too small for four people. Really?  If they are that rich, then her parents should buy/rent her a place where she can sleep with her fiance without a schedule.  You hit the nail on the head with that Skype phone call. His father was mean, Loren was mean and Loren's mother was mean.  Poor Alexei!  He needed a hug and no one did anything to comfort him.  His father even said that he will not come to the wedding because he cannot leave grandma....

Fernando is so unattractive, I can't look at him.  Not because of his size but because of that and how he treats Carolina. Why is she with him?  Who did he cheat with?  Why do women in poor countries have to sell themselves to unattractive much older American men!!!????!!!  I feel so sorry for these girls. 

It is interesting how distant Mark is from Nikki now that they're home.  I remember he said that his first wife was all about the money and buying her things, and so you would think that she would have been pushing him to work more.  Nikki wants him to spend more time with her, is happy with the zip tie ring, etc.  So my thoughts are either that she genuinely loves him, or girlfriend is in it for the long con.  She has probably heard the story of the gold digging ex wife a billion more times than we have, in copious detail.  So, while he chose her because she is similar to his ex in the good ways (young, pretty, Filipino, etc), she's making sure he sees how different she is from the ex by not being materialistic.  I think even though Nikki is only 19, she's a lot smarter than she lets on.

100% Long Con

• Love 1

I was curious about Doral (where Fernando lives) because I don't know it beyond it's by the airport. Doral has the 6th highest population of Colombian residents in the U.S. Carolina can walk only a block or so and feel right at home. Screw Fernando and his mindgames.

• Love 5

I think Melanie (like a lot of the US residents on this show) resents her fiance's family back home.  Loren is the exact same way.  It's like, "but you're with MEEEEE now,  here in 'Murica!  Yeah, I get that you're sad, but we're together, and that's all that really matters!"  It's sad, but Loren and Melanie both seem so shallow and vapid, that it's like they don't really see their fiances as real people, just as hunky beefcakes for themselves.

Good insight.  However, Josh the Mormon does take Alexsandra's feelings into account and tried to make her happy.  So on the one hand, he is trying (commendable).  On the other hand, she's probably not ready for the commitment.  

• Love 3

It is confusing. But then you just have to take a good look at Mark, and remember she met him on a dating website when she was 16, living in a poor city in the Philippines. I think she was looking for a ticket out, and he was it. Maybe she has grown fond of him, but I don't think there is any way in heaven or hell that she could actually be romantically in love with him. If this is an act, then that girl should be in Hollywood.

and Mark must realize all of this.  But if they are both good with the arrangement, then no harm done.  Good luck in the long term though.  At age 19, you have a LONG way to go.

Nutella

I can get women locally, but I went to Colombia for the same reason that Melanie went to Jamaica: I'm past my prime and I can get someone younger and more attractive than I could get here.  The difference is I've got enough financial resources to keep mine, but women like Melanie and fat Danielle from season 2 will probably see their desperate husbands bail once they have their residency approved.

This is my first season watching so I have no comment about Danielle.  But it appears that Melanie is young enough and attractive enough to get a local guy.  She's certainly  not past her prime.  She probably was in Jamaica simply for a vacation, not to snag a lover.  

• Love 2

Isn't buying a spouse illegal?  Like slavery or prostitution?

if both parties know what the deal is going in, and it fulfills their needs, it is not like slavery or prostitution.  Marriage hasn't always been about love, and in some parts of the world still isn't.  As for the legality, I don't know.

• Love 2

I will laugh about this for a long time.... :)

Melanie's sisters can sign up for their own reality show, but I'm not sure what the name of it would be.

Whatever the title, it most certainly would involve bikes, brews, and ball bustin'...does the one smoke 40 packs a day? Should Devar ask her about that?

Also, I think Devar looks like Reno Wilson, (Officer Carl on Mike & Molly). 

Finally watched this week's episode! 

Aleksandra needs to RUN. This is so not for her, I think he's a really sweet guy but obviously he caught her in a very vulnerable time in her life. As far as I know we haven't really gotten a sense of who her family is, she was probably seeking acceptance and he sold her on the idea of a happy, Mormon life. This is super common from missionaries all over Europe; many of my friends back home have been propositioned by missionaries to change their life etc. I think she's realizing slowly that there is a happy medium between 100% party girl and 100% super religious. I don't think she fits here at all, I felt bad for him at the salsa club, he really tried. He seems like a sweet kid but there is no way this is going to last and it would be mean if it did she is obviously not all that sold on the lifestyle. 

Agree with a previous poster she should marry her dancing partner instead! and Josh should find himself a nice Mormon girl to take home to his sassy mom.

I hope for both of them that she leaves so they can pursue something more fitting. 

Fernando... I can't understand this man at all. I have a super strong feeling that he is lying to her about the process. I think he didn't put the papers through so he could continue screwing other girls in the states while she waits for him. I would try to forgive the cheating but honestly he practically glows when talking about his previous cheating scandals, of course she shouldn't trust him! He is obviously lying to her face, he deserves her to leave his ass as soon as she gets her green card that is the only way I'd ever put up with this fool. I can't understand the appeal honestly. 

• Love 1

I really dislike Loren and Melanie.  To me, they seem like narcissists.  It's like THEY wanted to get married because they wanted a HUSBAND.  But it never occurred to them that they were marrying a real human being.  In some cultures, the son is the one who supports the family.  Melanie acted like she had never spoken to Devar about his family in Jamaica.  If she knew Devar was supporting his family in Jamaica, why didn't they have the conversation of, "so Devar, when you come to the US, what will your family do?  How will they live?"  

With Loren and Alexei, it looked like he was very close with his family.  Did they talk about what his leaving might mean to them?  It just seemed from the show that Loren and Melanie were totally clueless, like they were surprised their fiancees actually had family and people other than them in their lives.

And Aleksandra, marry that nice young man from Angola, your dancing partner, let Josh find a nice Mormon girl who will fit right in to his life.

Edited by Neurochick
  • Love 7

I initially thought Devar had the best intentions but I'm convinced he's using her now.

They're using each other. She wants a hot husband that will shock her ex-husband/family and a running partner. He wants to be able to provide for his family back home. Win win.
  • Love 3

If I was the Prague dance partner, I would have told Aleksandra to take the first flight back home, instead of telling her it will be okay. If TLC had showed him the b-roll, he would have been singing a different tune. In fact, each of them should have an escape plane ticket.

I think her "friend" back in Prague is really her pimp, and I think his goal is for her to get her residency in the US, dump the chump, and then bring him to the US to live with her.  Sorry if that sounds harsh, and I may be wrong, but I may also be right.  Otherwise I think he'd say "Yes, bring your wild tattooed self back to Prague and let's party."

Edited by Steve
  • Love 1

I think her "friend" back in Prague is really her pimp, and I think his goal is for her to get her residency in the US, dump the chump, and then bring him to the US to live with her. Sorry if that sounds harsh, and I may be wrong, but I may also be right. Otherwise I think he'd say "Yes, bring your wild tattooed self back to Prague and let's party."

Her pimp?!?! I'm going to have to disagree there. I highly doubt that he was her pimp. Maybe I'm just a little too confident in my people reading skills, but Aleksandra has this spark and naivete to her that I wouldn't associate with someone who had been through some real shit. I think that her early twenties were spent drinking and dancing like many college girls do.

• Love 6

I think her "friend" back in Prague is really her pimp, and I think his goal is for her to get her residency in the US, dump the chump, and then bring him to the US to live with her. Sorry if that sounds harsh, and I may be wrong, but I may also be right. Otherwise I think he'd say "Yes, bring your wild tattooed self back to Prague and let's party."

There is no indication that she's a prostitute or that the guy we saw less than a minute of is a pimp. They are both young. They both studied in Prague. They both like dancing. How does that indicate pimp-prostitute and not 'friendship based on shared interests/life events'? Because she's "wild" (?!) and "tattooed"?

• Love 9

There is no indication that she's a prostitute or that the guy we saw less than a minute of is a pimp. They are both young. They both studied in Prague. They both like dancing. How does that indicate pimp-prostitute and not 'friendship based on shared interests/life events'? Because she's "wild" (?!) and "tattooed"?

Luciano, I gave my reason.  I draw that conclusion because why would he say "Stay in the US where you're misearable" instead of "Come back here so we can have fun together"?  If you don't agree, OK.  I've been around enough young women in a desperate country (Colombia) to know that it doesn't take much for them to learn that they can get money for being "nice". I think a lot of people here are thinking with a naive USA mindset.  That's just the reality of the third world, and Prague is still third world.

Edited by Steve

Luciano, I gave my reason. I draw that conclusion because why would he say "Stay in the US where you're misearable" instead of "Come back here so we can have fun together"? If you don't agree, OK. I've been around enough young women in a desperate country (Colombia) to know that it doesn't take much for them to learn that they can get money for being "nice". I think a lot of people here are living in their naive USA mindset. That's just the reality of the third world, and Prague is still third world.

I figured that he told her to stay because he knew she was in love with Josh enough to move across the world, change religions, and learn a new language. Also, it was definitely a TLC producer driven conversation that they told them to have to further the plot. It was like "family and friends back home" week. Devar and Alexei were both shown on skype calls too, and Carolina's family was shown in person. Maybe they went with the dance partner because Aleksandra's family didn't want to be on the show.

• Love 5

I figured that he told her to stay because he knew she was in love with Josh enough to move across the world, change religions, and learn a new language. Also, it was definitely a TLC producer driven conversation that they told them to have to further the plot. It was like "family and friends back home" week. Devar and Alexei were both shown on skype calls too, and Carolina's family was shown in person. Maybe they went with the dance partner because Aleksandra's family didn't want to be on the show.

I think the whole phone call was a set up.  They wanted her to confess her feelings to someone other than the camera, so they had the friend call.  I think the whole conversation was planned ahead of time.  And she is not from Prague, by the way - she is from Russia.  She was studying in Prague.  It seems like her family is not really in the picture.

• Love 2

That's not what he said. After she complained about the dancing and then said she was freaked out about how fast the wedding preparations were going, he said, "Take it easy. Don't worry. You'll be fine." Then she went deeper, brought up her age and how she's too young - we didn't see his reaction to that. All we saw was him trying to calm her down.

Exactly. Usually when someone tells you something like that, the first instinct is to comfort them, and tell them it will be okay. When my best friend moved away for college, she called me and told me the first night that she hated it. I told her that it would be okay, she just wasn't used to it yet. And believe it or not, I had no ulterior motive for doing so.

• Love 6

I also did not get the sense that her and her friend were at all linked. While I've read the spoiler thread about them, I still think she's not ready for marriage and even if they wed - it won't last. 

Loren is probably the most annoying person ever. 

• Love 4

Really? so it's ok for Melanie to work her ass off and provide everything for them while Devar sends 90% of his income to family in Jamaica? How is that fair?

I said I didn't see anything wrong with him sending money. I did not once say it was acceptable for him to send 90%, so please do not make assumptions.

Good insight.  However, Josh the Mormon does take Alexsandra's feelings into account and tried to make her happy.  So on the one hand, he is trying (commendable).  On the other hand, she's probably not ready for the commitment.  

I agree. Plus, Aleksandra was informed of what she'd be committing to as far as Mormonism is concerned and she still went forward with the engagement. I don't feel that bad for her. If I were her friend, I would not sit there and say 'come back home' - I'd tell her to ride it out and really make the decision for herself.

Edited by trimthatfat
  • Love 1

I think her "friend" back in Prague is really her pimp, and I think his goal is for her to get her residency in the US, dump the chump, and then bring him to the US to live with her.  Sorry if that sounds harsh, and I may be wrong, but I may also be right.  Otherwise I think he'd say "Yes, bring your wild tattooed self back to Prague and let's party."

I don't think he ever told her to stay in the US.  He just told her to hang in there.  The call sounded staged to me.

Why would you assume he's got to be her pimp?  Why can't he just be her friend?

• Love 11

I think Devar plans to take over the financial role his mother has had -- for him it's time for mom retire.

Mel is an idiot if she does not get a prenup.

Devar says he wants to send 90% of his money to his "family." It does not seem to have occurred to him that if he marries Melanie, SHE and her son will be his family, too. How about their 90%?

I live in the U.S. near a resort city. The tourist-trap shops are largely staffed by young and attractive Russian girls working off the debt they incurred by coming here (airfare, lodging, etc.) Marrying a guy you just met - and then dumping him once you get your papers and bringing over the "pimp" - is certainly another way to work off a debt. It's not outside the realm of possibility.

This show tries to make it seem like it's all hearts and flowers between these people, but there is a very dark underbelly to marriage brokering and this show keeps tripping over it, probably far more than TLC ever intended when they first put it on the air. Dani and Mo are one example, and Aleksandra may well be another. And they won't be the last.

• Love 1

Melanie acted like she had never spoken to Devar about his family in Jamaica.  If she knew Devar was supporting his family in Jamaica, why didn't they have the conversation of, "so Devar, when you come to the US, what will your family do?  How will they live?"  

I don't think they were doing a lot of "talking"

I had this thought last night that maybe Aleksandra and Noon should trade fiances. Noon seems to want a quieter, cleaner life with family around, which would be Rexburg. New Orleans isn't Prague but it's a damn sight better than small town Idaho for Aleksandra! It definitely has dancing and layered drinks with fire on top.

• Love 10

I had this thought last night that maybe Aleksandra and Noon should trade fiances. Noon seems to want a quieter, cleaner life with family around, which would be Rexburg. New Orleans isn't Prague but it's a damn sight better than small town Idaho for Aleksandra! It definitely has dancing and layered drinks with fire on top.

I definitely agree that Noon would be better suited with someone sweet like Josh.  Not sure how sour puss Mama would like her saying things like "oh my Buddha," but he was able to get Aleksandra to convert.

I think that Aleksandra would definitely like to live in a place like New Orleans much better than Rexburg, Idaho.  Heck, I think she'd be happier in Boise, if she could have a glass of wine without the side of judgement and damnation.  But I wouldn't wish Kyle and his roach shack on poor Aleksandra!  She's got it made in her pink princess room at Grandma's house, compared to that hell hole.

• Love 3

I live in the U.S. near a resort city. The tourist-trap shops are largely staffed by young and attractive Russian girls working off the debt they incurred by coming here (airfare, lodging, etc.) Marrying a guy you just met - and then dumping him once you get your papers and bringing over the "pimp" - is certainly another way to work off a debt. It's not outside the realm of possibility.

How would that apply to Aleksandra? She had someone helping her pay her way over here - if she couldn't come up with the money, her fiance would most likely help out. She lives with his grandma. She doesn't need a pimp to help her out financially, she has someone who has shown the government that he could support her.

So according to some, it's more likely that this Angolan student, who is attending school in Prague presumably on a student visa, became a pimp to a Russian student who is also in Prague presumably on a student visa (which means both people showed that they had sufficient funds and available accommodations before getting approved) and their grand plan is to get the Russian to marry an American, get her green card, remain married to this man for at least three years in order to become a citizen, divorce him, apply for, say, a K1 visa to get Angolan dude over here IF she has the income, and not trip up any fraud suspicions on the part of the Immigration. And I say a K1 visa because Ary is not related to her and she is not his employer, so that cuts off the two main ways to sponsor someone. While I'm sure there may be ways to get a non-relative/employee over here, I'm guessing "He was my best friend during the years I was in Prague" is not going to cut it as an adequate reason.

All of this is more likely than two international university students who are studying in the same foreign city, and have at least one common interest in dancing, becoming friends?

Edited by Luciano
  • Love 17

I initially thought Devar had the best intentions but I'm convinced he's using her now. 

Me too!  I was in his corner until we learned that his mother lives three hours away from Mel; not to mention his plan to send 90% of his income to Jamaica.  I believe Devar has been trying to get to the U.S. for a very long time, and the fiance visa was the fastest route.  Mel strikes me as a kind and decent person, albeit naive.  Devar appears to have hit the jackpot, but I have a feeling he is going to blow it. 

Edited by Adeejay
  • Love 2

I think the reason Fernando's papers are taking so long is because he didn't submit all the documents. I've heard that the couples have to show they are pretty far in the K-1 process to be considered for this show. Probably his divorce papers. They've asked for proof of divorce from my first green card application all the way up to my citizenship application. Neither my husband nor I were married before so it wasn't an issue, but it's standard.

Seeing all of this makes me pretty glad my husband and I didn't go the K-1 visa route.

• Love 3

I looked up the salsa situation in Rexburg. It may have been a producer set-up for Josh and Aleksandra to go there, but it's a real event that happens every Friday night at that Mexican restaurant.

Whoo boy, Alexei. You're about to marry my sister-in-law, and you're about to be real sorry. YOUR family heartbreak is all about HER. It's such a classic drama queen move to flounce out of the room in tears and then lock you out. She doesn't want to be comforted, see? She wants attention, and the more you're jiggling the door handle, the better life gets. Get ready for many decades of the same...if she cares so much about others, all she has to do is make aliyah.

• Love 9

I'm not from Prague, but I have 2 tattoos and love to dance. I have a male friend from the casino nightclub I frequent who also loves to dance. He's not a pimp he's a friend who enjoys dancing like I do. Of course there's also the fact that I'm much older than our girl Aleksandra, married, and a Mom....but I can assure you no pimps are involved. Sheesh.

• Love 10

Luciano, I gave my reason.  I draw that conclusion because why would he say "Stay in the US where you're misearable" instead of "Come back here so we can have fun together"?  If you don't agree, OK.  I've been around enough young women in a desperate country (Colombia) to know that it doesn't take much for them to learn that they can get money for being "nice". I think a lot of people here are thinking with a naive USA mindset.  That's just the reality of the third world, and Prague is still third world.

Prague is Third World? I beg to differ.

The Czech Republic is generally considered a Second World country: "The term 'Second World' refers to the former communist-socialist, industrial states, the territory and sphere of influence of the Union of Soviet Socialists Republic (Soviet Union)."

• Love 5