Type keyword(s) to search

House Hunters: Buying in the USA

I really liked the doctors in Oklahoma City -- they were so natural, relaxed, happy, apparently grateful to be able to have such a nice home.  I liked the French Provincial-style house better than the one they chose, but only because of the noisy street in the pillar house.  Maybe they can do some plantings to deaden the traffic noise.

juliet73, I agree about the KC flakey wife.  I can't understand why a community pool was so important to her.  In SoCal or the Southwest, maybe, but KC doesn't have year-round outdoor pool weather.  (Indoor pools are fine, if you can stand the smell of the chlorine. )  And then the concern about the toddler losing a hand to the gas stove?  Nah.  

• Love 2
19 minutes ago, AuntiePam said:

I really liked the doctors in Oklahoma City -- they were so natural, relaxed, happy, apparently grateful to be able to have such a nice home.  I liked the French Provincial-style house better than the one they chose, but only because of the noisy street in the pillar house.  Maybe they can do some plantings to deaden the traffic noise.

juliet73, I agree about the KC flakey wife.  I can't understand why a community pool was so important to her.  In SoCal or the Southwest, maybe, but KC doesn't have year-round outdoor pool weather.  (Indoor pools are fine, if you can stand the smell of the chlorine. )  And then the concern about the toddler losing a hand to the gas stove?  Nah.  

I liked Oklahoma City couple too.  I didn't like all the pillars in the 2nd house or the busy street, but the rest was beautiful as well as the other two houses.  It was refreshing to hear the wife say the house had "too much space" when we are so used to HHs complaining about everything being "so tight".   It was also nice to NOT hear them bitch about not having a craftsman or a ranch.  

At this point EVERY single episode starts off the hunt with husband or wife complaining the house is not a craftsman.  At the end of EVERY single episode, husband or wife is cutting fruit/vegetables and husband ALWAYS asks, "when is everyone coming over?"  UGH!  

• Love 9

I can't understand why a community pool was so important to her. 

People like to swim in the heat of the summer, regardless of region of the country, and some, like her, would rather maintenance of a pool be someone else's problem. I would've appreciated easy access to a pool when I was growing up, even if it was just for the months of June through August 'cause it was frequently hot and muggy. Perhaps that's what she remembers of her childhood days (if I recall correctly, she was raised in the KC area).

OK City husband was very hung up on being "grandiose" and, I think, impressing other people. He even asked people if they liked his home, as if anyone would say, "Since you asked, I have to say, it's kind of gaudy." I wonder what kind of house they would have purchased if the wife was the one to pick a place. 

• Love 6

A million dollar price tag doesn't always bring you style. I hope they are painting the neon blue walls in the kitchen. It was ugly. The backyard pool looked kind of dinky for the mansion. The office for the wife was nice and had great windows. The couple seemed nice and they had money to burn. I knew I should have studied harder in school. LOL!!!!

• Love 5
6 hours ago, mojito said:

People like to swim in the heat of the summer, regardless of region of the country, and some, like her, would rather maintenance of a pool be someone else's problem. I would've appreciated easy access to a pool when I was growing up, even if it was just for the months of June through August 'cause it was frequently hot and muggy. Perhaps that's what she remembers of her childhood days (if I recall correctly, she was raised in the KC area).

When I bought my new house, I noted the above-ground pool next door. I'm going to be a very friendly new neighbor! Here in upstate NY we get maybe 4 months out of our pools, but there are a ton of houses that have them because it does get really hot and horrible in July and August - super muggy and high 80s/low 90s isn't unusual. I grew up with one and it was fabulous, but I would never want my own after seeing the time and expense that was put into maintaining it. A community pool is ideal! It's like "a friend with a boat".

• Love 3
On 2/13/2017 at 11:12 PM, Pickles said:

She didn't like a gas range, because the daughter might burn her fingers off. Omg. I was glad the agent spoke up and said it would only take one time and the daughter would learn. Lol! True! She added that they could buy a child protective cover. 

I wish the real estate agent pointed out that in the history of the world, there have been gas stoves. And children. Hopefully, her children won't be running around unsupervised while she's cooking. And parents must learn to child-proof their homes from possible dangers. Coffee tables are the worst, IMO. Or in the '70s, those TVs that sat in huge fake wood cabinets. Almost every child I know from the '70s and '80s has a scar on his or her forehead from a piece of furniture. Fortunately, you can put foam and protective latches/covers almost everywhere now to protect kids. 

15 hours ago, juliet73 said:

I liked Oklahoma City couple too.  I didn't like all the pillars in the 2nd house or the busy street, but the rest was beautiful as well as the other two houses.  It was refreshing to hear the wife say the house had "too much space" when we are so used to HHs complaining about everything being "so tight".   It was also nice to NOT hear them bitch about not having a craftsman or a ranch.  

At this point EVERY single episode starts off the hunt with husband or wife complaining the house is not a craftsman.  At the end of EVERY single episode, husband or wife is cutting fruit/vegetables and husband ALWAYS asks, "when is everyone coming over?"  UGH!  

14 hours ago, mojito said:

OK City husband was very hung up on being "grandiose" and, I think, impressing other people.

I guess the American motto is to buy as much house as you can afford. But I agree with the wife--it seems like way too much space, even if they do have children some day. I hope the house really is cozy, as the wife claims. The houses the husband loved were a little gaudy, IMO. 

BTW, "grandiose" means excessively grand and impressive in a pretentious way. And that seems like that's what the husband was going for. 

But I liked the couple overall. They seemed normal, and I love the story of how they met. I usually fast-forward through all of the back story and wish list crap, but I actually listened this time.  It's nice to hear people say good things about Oklahoma. I never think about the state much, except when it comes to college football and NBA basketball. 

• Love 7

I only caught a few minutes of an episode last night but it was an awesome couple of minutes!  It was a newlywed couple looking for their first house and the girl actually said "this is too open I like separate rooms" (well words to that effect anyway).  I was dumbstruck!  Someone who looked to be under 30 didn't want open concept!  Now maybe if I'd seen the rest of the show she'd have annoyed me by demanding granite, stainless steel,walk in closets and double sinks in the bathroom all for under $200K so it might be just as well I had to go out!

Edited by CherryAmes
  • Love 4
11 hours ago, ByaNose said:

A million dollar price tag doesn't always bring you style. I hope they are painting the neon blue walls in the kitchen. It was ugly. The backyard pool looked kind of dinky for the mansion. The office for the wife was nice and had great windows. The couple seemed nice and they had money to burn. I knew I should have studied harder in school. LOL!!!!

I had a feeling she had the kitchen painted that color. The house was already theirs and she made sure to have it painted before they filmed the episode.

I liked the Oklahoma couple in some ways, but the husband just came off as a show-off. He was wanting a home that showed he paid a million dollars for it. He mentioned wanting a home like he did when he was growing up. That is fine, understandable. But to then say he needs his home to look like a million dollar home,  just struck me the wrong way. He is more concerned about how others see him.  I just watched an episode the other day that my DVR recorded which showed a home selling for $1.1 million dollars. It sure as hell didn't look like a million dollar home. I think that is why the husband had to make sure his home was grand. He doesn't want people to think it didn't look like a million dollar home.

• Love 6

In a cheaper market like OKlahoma, buying as big house as you can is financially stupid, when that is $1 million. A $500k house is plenty huge for two people and a couple of kids. Invest the rest. The only reason to do that was to feel important. 

P.S. Loved the little edit at the very end, where the show had the husband asking, almost plaintively, 'What do you think of the house?" to his guests. Indeed.

Edited by Ottis
  • Love 10

Dude doesn't know what grandiose means.  There's a "feeling of grandiose" in any room you walk into, tool.

I did note that the room the real estate agent thought would be good for a nursery ended up as her office.  She's a cardiologist and he passes gas?  She was way out of his league anyway - give it a couple of years (or maybe months), take half of his million and walk away, girl.

• Love 3

I never think about the state much, except when it comes to college football and NBA basketball. 

The places that you don't hear about much, be they region (or country), state, city, offer great lifestyles for residents. You have to be in the right (local) frame of mind and not judge where you are against where you were. 

My little two cents' worth of philosophy, adjusted for inflation.

• Love 4
On February 10, 2017 at 11:46 AM, MoreCoffeePlease said:

I don't know if it is slang, but often in design you'll hear of this sort of combo to describe a style.  Like "rustic industrial" or "rustic chic".  I like "modern vintage".

I must be old, because I crack up over "mid-century modern."  Oh -- you mean 1950's-60's -- which I grew up with and would never want again.  (But have an older sibling whose house is totally that decor.  Go figure.). Not comfortable, IMO.

• Love 4
8 hours ago, Thumper said:

Not comfortable, IMO.

Lord, yes. That Danish modern stuff I grew up with was not something I'd ever want in my house.  And all of those sharp edges!  (I'm "mid-century".)  It's disturbing to hear that my childhood home has a label.

• Love 2

I understand that teasing banter is a way to show endearment for some couples, but the one guy in Baltimore's constant put-down "humor" towards his partner was off putting.  The guy couldn't have a single opinion on anything without the other making fun of it.  Shut up.  

• Love 7
13 minutes ago, Kiki620 said:

I understand that teasing banter is a way to show endearment for some couples, but the one guy in Baltimore's constant put-down "humor" towards his partner was off putting.  The guy couldn't have a single opinion on anything without the other making fun of it.  Shut up.  

I noticed that too.  He never missed an opportunity (and even made them up when he could) to rag on the other for not being "handy" (or whatever)...He'd have us believe his poor partner is just a useless oaf around the house.  Guy 1: I like the yard!  Guy 2: Oooh, yaaaah, like you're going to mow the grass, right? *eyeroll*  Guy 1: I've mowed grass before.  Guy 2: Sure thing, honey. *even more exaggerated eyeroll*  

• Love 7
10 hours ago, wovenloaf said:

I noticed that too.  He never missed an opportunity (and even made them up when he could) to rag on the other for not being "handy" (or whatever)...He'd have us believe his poor partner is just a useless oaf around the house.  Guy 1: I like the yard!  Guy 2: Oooh, yaaaah, like you're going to mow the grass, right? *eyeroll*  Guy 1: I've mowed grass before.  Guy 2: Sure thing, honey. *even more exaggerated eyeroll*  

Yes, they were clearly a "Can This Marriage Be Saved?" couple. I hate when one person in a couple tries to be funny by consistently putting down his partner. 

The Chicago couple was very interesting--the police officer and the account manager. I couldn't believe he was a police officer with those ear discs. Can he wear those on duty, or does he remove them and walk around with big holes in his earlobes? And I wonder about his sexuality, honestly. He occasionally has effeminate mannerisms, which by itself doesn't mean a person is gay. But then in the basement, when the wife was complaining about the ceilings being low and her not being able to wear her heels, he goes, "But you won't be down here with me." With the inflection in his voice, I was waiting for him to add, "My boyfriend will." 

And then there was his wife. I thought she was beautiful, and she looked Filipino, which would explain her large jaw and strong facial features. But there was also something masculine about her face, which once again, means nothing by itself. But with my questions about the husband, it makes me wonder if he was attracted to his wife because of her slightly-masculine facial features. Could she be his beard? 

17 hours ago, Empress1 said:

Hated the third house the Baltimore couple looked at. I'd have turned around and walked out. I wasn't crazy about the couple themselves either, for some reason.

I don't mind the rustic with the exposed brick look and/or fad. What I do have a problem with is the 3rd floor with the catwalk. WTF was that? The whole house totally looked unfinished. The first house that they ended up choosing was okay but wayyyyyyyyy too narrow. They are young guys with no kids or pets so I'm sure they'll survive. Unfortunately, the two guys were so annoying that I had to fast forward to the end to see what they chose. Jeez Louise! It's amazing that two annoying guys found each other. It's bad enough when one is annoying but two?! Yikes!!!

• Love 3

Whenever there are row houses featured, I know I'm going to have an attack of claustrophobia, and the Baltimore episode did not disappoint in that regard.  Yipes!  I lived in a townhouse that was 25' wide with a fairly open floor plan which made it feel very spacious.  These place didn't look more than 15 or so feet wide.  There is hardly enough room for furniture and I think there was only a couch in the basement area.

The one who was putting down the other one so much was a psychology major, which I thought was kind of interesting.  Thought maybe he was practicing some psychological techniques on the poor guy.  I think Brian was his name, and I agreed with him about the 3rd place feeling unfinished.  The concrete floor really did look like someone had dumped a load of concrete and did not finish it properly.  The cat walk looked like someone had just laid two boards across it when they realized that a person's shoe could get caught in it, or that it would be hard to walk on in bare feet.  It reminded me of a construction site where boards are put down over muddy areas as a temporary fix.            

• Love 1
On 2/10/2017 at 6:22 PM, Kohola3 said:

I beg of all concerned, please retire the two highly overused "a" words - amaaaaazing and awwwwwwesome.  Get a thesaurus, for Pete's sake and use something different for a change!

The other one that needs to go away is "fanTAStic!"

i was surprised at the accents on the LV couple- I hadn't realized that area had such a noticeable accent! (And they did say they were natives!)

14 hours ago, awaken said:

i was surprised at the accents on the LV couple- I hadn't realized that area had such a noticeable accent! (And they did say they were natives!)

I lived there most of my life and never noticed a Vegas accent on these people or anyone else. However, when I moved to the Midwest a few years ago, someone had asked me where I was from because I had an accent! Interesting... 

19 hours ago, juliet73 said:

I lived there most of my life and never noticed a Vegas accent on these people or anyone else. However, when I moved to the Midwest a few years ago, someone had asked me where I was from because I had an accent! Interesting... 

I am born and raised in California. I have also been told by someone who lived near the east coast that I had an accent.

I cannot stand row houses either.

The exaggerated facial expressions on the State College PA woman fascinated me, for some reason. She kept bugging out her eyes and making her mouth crooked. It was weird. That was the most interesting thing about the episode since she ended up buying the generic townhome and the other two homes she toured were clearly plants.

9 minutes ago, jcbrown said:

The exaggerated facial expressions on the State College PA woman fascinated me, for some reason. She kept bugging out her eyes and making her mouth crooked. It was weird. That was the most interesting thing about the episode since she ended up buying the generic townhome and the other two homes she toured were clearly plants.

I thought so, too. And I thought she sorta looked like she could be Jennifer Garner's southern cousin. 

This is one of the episodes where I didn't like any of the home choices. The townhouse worked best for her, I guess. But weren't the H.O.A. fees like $140 per month? And there were how many units in that development? There can't be enough landscaping and snow removal needs to justify that influx of cash. It's not like there was a community center or a pool. 

5 minutes ago, topanga said:

This is one of the episodes where I didn't like any of the home choices. The townhouse worked best for her, I guess. But weren't the H.O.A. fees like $140 per month? And there were how many units in that development? There can't be enough landscaping and snow removal needs to justify that influx of cash. It's not like there was a community center or a pool. 

I didn't see this episode so I don't know what the townhouse looked like, but the HOA fee could also cover exterior maintenance of the townhouse, including the roof.  

• Love 1

The HOA fees on my condo cover landscaping, pool maintenance, outside maintenance (roof, exterior painting, fencing, termite control, etc.), water, sewer & trash, and insurance (including earthquake insurance here in California).  

The couple looking for the home in Newport Beach last night (not sure if it was a new episode).  I was so worried that she would bully him into taking the overpriced ugly house just because she could see water.  There was no parking, it was on a busy street, and in the summer it would be crazy crowded.  They got the best house for them.

• Love 3
50 minutes ago, jcbrown said:

I'm all about PSU and/or State College, Pa but I had to fast forward her. Wow! She was so annoying and her friend wasn't any better. Yikes!!

• Love 3

And there were how many units in that development? There can't be enough landscaping and snow removal needs to justify that influx of cash. It's not like there was a community center or a pool. 

The more homes in an HOA, the less you'll usually pay in HOA fees. I believe her fees were $175 per month. 

I'm surprised that people viewed the State College lady negatively. I thought she was just fine. I also appreciated that you have two fitness nuts who aren't a size 2. Or a size 12, for that matter. 

The couple looking for the home in Newport Beach last night (not sure if it was a new episode).  I was so worried that she would bully him into taking the overpriced ugly house just because she could see water.  There was no parking, it was on a busy street, and in the summer it would be crazy crowded.  They got the best house for them.

Wife was highly annoying.  In one house she poked her face into the bathroom and stated her negative opinion; her husband stood behind her and couldn't even get a look at it.  I'm glad the husband got the house he liked for his "plants" (her words), meaning "vegetable garden".

• Love 5
56 minutes ago, roughing it said:

Wife was highly annoying.  In one house she poked her face into the bathroom and stated her negative opinion; her husband stood behind her and couldn't even get a look at it.  I'm glad the husband got the house he liked for his "plants" (her words), meaning "vegetable garden".

I hate it when it one person in a couple decides she's the alpha dog and is quite pleased to tell the public that she "let" her husband have something--like a vegetable garden.  Men do it in other episodes. Maybe this is the true power dynamic in their relationship. But it's not fun to watch on TV.

I want to know who built that hideous piece of furniture in the master bedroom--that huge bookshelf/headboard work of art that left room in the middle for a full-sized bed--and nothing bigger.  

• Love 5

So Cal ep: Did they say they wanted to live in Newport Beach? It's one of the most expensive towns in the US. If she wanted a water view that was closer to their budget, why didn't they look at Huntington, Dana Point or San Clemente?  I'm glad they went with the Costa Mesa house. Nice house, nice location. 

• Love 4

The southern California couple were both actuaries.  I kept having the feeling that they coldly calculated the chances of their relationship working, and then decided to get married.  There didn't seem to be any warmth between them and they are almost newlyweds.  I know we are supposed to keep our comments confined to the houses, but I couldn't help myself with this one.  

I agree that the house they purchased was the best one given their overall wish list.  The outside laundry would have been a deal breaker for me though.  I cannot believe a million dollar house doesn't have a washing machine inside, but I guess that's California housing for you.  Thank goodness I've never had to house hunt in some of those places.  I would be living in a tent in someone's back yard.

• Love 5

Costa Mesa house...I had to laugh when they showed the husband had placed his planter box for tomatoes at the far end of the yard where it was next to a fence that cast shade on the planter box.  The rest of the yard was literally entirely sunny except for that one spot.  I hope he realizes that tomatoes need sun.

• Love 6

I liked the couple in Maine tonight. You could tell they have a good relationship. I had to laugh when the wife wanted a screened in porch for their kitty, but even the wife laughed about it. They didn't end up with a screened porch, but I liked the house they chose. Great yard and hardwood floors. The wallpaper needs to come down.

• Love 5
11 hours ago, jcbrown said:

I felt the same way!  I kept staring at her face. Odd looking trio of women. Friend "mo" had a fundie-bump hairstyle and the realtor had plucked out her eyebrows and penciled back in little apostrophes. 

And such a big deal about having a treadmill on one of the upper floors – has this lady ever heard of movers? 

• Love 5
4 hours ago, chocolatine said:

Did Maine wife say she was a "stay-at-home pet mom"? There's a job description straight out of The Bachelor.

I heard her say that, too. That's a new one for HH I think. Is that one step up from not taking care of........no one? Heck! If you can live off of one income I say all the power to you.

• Love 4

Maine couple were great.  I got the impression they both clearly knew the screened in cat porch was just a producer thing.  They were having good fun with it.

I also liked the kitchen shot early on, when she made, what, green bean tacos?  And he joked about how everybody watching would think they were crazy.  Good times.  

• Love 7

Ok, first time poster here-I am usually happy just reading everyone else's comments, but I couldn't take it anymore. Bangor Maine "Stay at home pet mom?" "Screened in porch for the cat?" I'm glad that wasn't a drinking game. Would like to go back and watch this episode and the international woman who wanted the "walk in closet," and see who said it more.

And seriously? You stay home all day and find the need to be in the bathroom at the same time as hubby? In my whole life I have never lived in a house with more than one bathroom, and somehow we manage-even with everyone getting ready in the morning.

• Love 10

Did Maine wife say she was a "stay-at-home pet mom"? There's a job description straight out of The Bachelor.

She did!

Is that one step up from not taking care of........no one? 

Ha - exactly!  Does she have nothing else in her life that she can lay claim to?  Volunteer?  Etsy artist?  Socialite?  Make something up for goodness sake before you go on national t.v. and broadcast that you're a do nothing!

The husband mugged for the camera A LOT.  

• Love 2

Newport Beach/Costa Mesa - loved the house they picked, I would have done the same. But, his hangup about the garage not being attached to the house? You're in California, man-it's not like you're going to be going in and out in freezing temps and snow! The laundry out there was odd, but not impossible. And how come the location of the Spanish style house was just too noisy, but when the noise was mentioned at the one "with a view" it didn't seem to matter? Also, maybe its just because its on TV and you can't really really get a great look, but the view didn't really impress me. She was certainly ready to settle though. 

• Love 6

I usually can't stand these people who say they are stay at home moms to pets ( @ByaNose sadly this is not the first time we've seen that), but I'm giving her a pass in this case. After hearing their history it seems to me those pets are her friends in a way that has not been the case in the past, the constant she's been able to have in her life as she's moved around the world in support of her husband's career. He said they've moved 5 times in the last 5 years including to New Zealand, all predicated by his career. I suspect she had a career of her own when they first met and she gave that up because who the heck can keep ditching a job every 9 months when they have to leave suddenly and move to a new place because of their spouse's career. So, I really gave her a pass on the spaces for the pets. It can't be easy moving around like that, she came off to me as quite lonely, but in love with her husband so she made it work and the pets were a big part of that. And it's not even a military family kind of thing where there's a built-in community welcoming to new people because they are accustomed to the transient nature of things. All in all, I enjoyed the couple. He seemed fun, though a bit selfish at times, and I hope most of it was him hamming it up for the show. I'm guessing (hoping) that now that they are actually staying put somewhere for longer than a year, she'd have a much better answer than stay at home mom to pets to give.

I was happy to see Bangor featured, thought they did a nice job of showing the city. Although I'm not familiar with this specific area, I know enough of this part of New England that I laughed out loud at trying to sell Orono as not too far away. It's not technically. But it's a separate community and this isn't crazy urban development region where you pass from Bangor and Orono and it feels connected, you're passing trees and charming scenery for the most part. And that distance gets further when it's winter. Cause as nice as Bangor looked here, it wasn't winter which can be a bit more deceiving.

• Love 4

I liked the Bangor couple.  They looked fun and  happy with each other and their lives.  And whether or not the screened in porch was truly for their cat or was producer driven, I have to say the idea appealed to me. Or maybe I'm just irritated by my neighbor's cat that keeps coming into my yard.  Lol.  I am betting the wife has more to her life than the pets, I took the sahm to her pets as sort of a joke.  Based on the moves for her husband's career, it probably is easier for her to not have a career necessarily, and some people are happy like that.  But it's so socially unacceptable for a spouse not to work unless they have kids, it's like they have to come up with an excuse.  I thought it was a funny one.

• Love 8

The Maine husband mentioned a few times that certain places would be a great place to "entertain". Yes, we hear that a lot, but for some reason when he mentioned it, I tried to picture him pulling a rabbit out of a hat, doing a little song and dance, or putting on a puppet show. Do people preparing food get really get so damned lonely for the half hour or so that they may not be with their guests while they toss the salad or are guests pacing nervously in the next room, wondering, "What to do while ______ is gone?"

Annoyed me to hear all the things that needed to be updated. When they showed that black 'fridge that looked brand spanking new, I just shook my head. While all homes were nice, I thought the one they chose was the most curious one. Single sink, no vanity, kitchen that was seemingly unbearably small (as they moved around to show how tiny it was, I thought it looked plenty big enough for the two of them). 

Must've been my mood....

• Love 1
10 hours ago, ByaNose said:

I heard her say that, too. That's a new one for HH I think. Is that one step up from not taking care of........no one? Heck! If you can live off of one income I say all the power to you.

I assume,e it was a joke. My mother made similar comments when my dad's new job required a move across the country and she decided to take early retirement, she would say she realized it was time to become a stay at home mom, when it would be pointed out that I was her youngest and a senior in college and was going to live across the country from her when I graduated she responded that the dog and cat needed her, it was a joke not a particularly funny one but one that amused her.

• Love 5