Type keyword(s) to search

S27.E02: Get In There And Think Like A Dog

• Start Topic

Surprisingly, not too many non-stop flight options. I did a quick search on ITA Matrix for Rio-EZE for tomorrow,  and there were six total options- 3 that left at about  10:00am, a 2:30pm, a 4:18 pm, and the 8:55pm flight that would be the one the Racers ended up on if the flight schedule was pretty much the same as it was in June.

Thanks for all the research, Selkie -- I'm glad this was not a manufactured problem!  But it does show why Phil came to the beach to Philiminate the TMZers -- he probably had to catch that flight the previous night, or get a few hours sleep before the first morning flight!  Phil actually had a day off after filming the intros, with the next task not starting until the following morning. 

• Love 1

I realized why Justin likes that hat.  He has a head like a calabash!

Loved the Tango, loved the Tango judge.  Shut up, Justin!

He has five jobs and sleeps in his car... and I don't care.

Anchor Girl carried the statue oblivious to the fact that she had her hand right up it's... crack.

Can Luke2 open his mouth without mentioning how he "came out" and all?

The title was a misquote. The actual comment by Justin was 'Get in there and DIG like a dog." I rewound and listened to it several times. Did anyone else catch that?

I noticed it right away.  It was quite plain.  

Seconded! 

Also, this is the first time I actually caught James Earl's name.  I'm hoping she named him after "Jones" and not "Ray".

Still lovin' TeamTexas.  Still liking the cheerleaders.  The reporters seem cool.  My heart goes out to the homeless dancers.  Sorry the Wrestler Cousins couldn't make it.

And that wonky ankle is going to bite TeamPaparazzi somewhere down the line.  I'm not saying next episode, but somewhere down the line.

Lastly, that tango music was making me climb the walls, too, and not in a good way.  They couldn't have picked a nicer sound or alternate?

James Earl Carter was also coming to mind.

So much for the cousins reaching for the heights Charla hit. They raced well enough .  .  they just happened to be the last team to get a cab, and they couldn't beat the Dancers and Track Stars in a footrace. Unlike Team TMZ, they can hold their heads up.

If I had to choose between Green and Texas, I go Green. Justin & Diana being fans partially makes up for their flaws. And I like how they wear "27" in the field. Tanner & Josh come off an alpha male assembly line. While it would suck for them to get an early boot due to a pulled hamstring, we would be saved weeks of potential douchery. I mean, they were running hard for second place when they could have let Alabama have it.

Speaking of Alabama . . .  "You came out of my belly!"??? Oh, wow. Denise needs self-awareness, and fast.

Happy the Dancers are still in it, especially after their doo doo encounter. On the local front, Krista rocked the Roadblock . .. though she had her hair bundled like Tiffany did last week, and that kinda bugs me. I gotta be able to tell them apart beyond the mere inches of height difference.

Forgive me if this was asked last week . . .  what kind of name is "Logan" for a woman?

ETA: Who had the title quote? Wikipedia doesn't have an answer yet.

I have an idea-do a coin toss to see who gets the Survivor necklace #TwinningAintEasy

So far, I like both women's teams (Tiffany & Krista and Jazmine & Danielle), Logan & Chris, Kelsey & Joey, Ernest & Jin, Denise & James Earl, Cindy & Rick, and, to an extent, Justin & Diana (only because they chap Tanner & Josh's hides).  Tanner & Josh are generic alpha-males.  Don't care for them at all.  In fact, if their obsession with Justin keeps up, I might grow to hate them.

Good episode.

Hate on me too, because I find the second coming of #RADON annoying #TeamLonghorn #GreenTeam

Justin is annoying because he's one of those people who's "on" all the time. It grates quickly, even if he's not doing anything specifically bad.

A male version of Rachel, if you will #RADON

• Love 1

I hate it when the last three teams are teams I like. I didn't want any of them to go! Particularly when there are teams like the paparazzi and the cheerleaders still in it.

I agree except I would replace the cheerleaders with the Green Team. Justin is very annoying.

I was amazed that there was only one late-evening flight all day from Rio to Buenos Aires.  Was this a bunching combined with HOO?  How could there not be many flights during the day? 

And I hate it when they do not show the time spacing between teams at the start of a leg -- I like to know how far apart they were (or not) at the end of the previous leg. 

My guess-it was the only one on the approved airlines list. 

I don't have a problem with Justin but came down squarely on his side when Billy Bob or whatever (ok, James Earl) immediately broke their agreement and shared the basilica information with Beefcake and the Paparazzi (which coincidentally is the name of my next garage band).  Hopefully now Justin and Diana will know not to share information with other teams.

Pulling a hamstring while racing for second?  Yeah, that was so worth it.

I also thought the Dancers had problems getting a cab to stop for them.

Anchor Girl carried the statue oblivious to the fact that she had her hand right up it's... crack.

And you know the camera team were giggling like 12yos.

Edited by Haleth
  • Love 4

Let's all agree to disagree about which teams are likeable and which are not. As with most things, opinions will vary. If you want to talk about specific teams and your like or dislike of them, take it to the individual team threads.

Thanks and happy posting!

• Love 6
And "I made you! You came out of my belly!" could have been left unsaid by Mom in Pink. Along with "It's a million dollars, I'll buy you new feet!" to the girl running barefoot.

I could understand this sentiment if it was the last part of the last trip of the season. But only a couple days into the race? NO! She can't wreck her feet that early on! You let your partner put on her shoes, you crazy maniac!

Also Justin is annoying but seeing him continue to steam Team Texas' clams and seemingly not care or be aware of it is going to be hilarious.

He is a bit much to take but doesn't seem like an asshole or anything, just kind of socially clueless maybe -- the type of person in real life with whom you try to limit contact and small talk with even though he's a nice enough guy. To me, he just seems kind of...effusive, maybe? When he's bummed, he is a big mess, and when he's excited, he's bouncing off walls. Kind of like a big kid, which is what his face makes me think of. I thought he was sweet when he was so excited that his GF was tangoing so well. As far as that tango, I felt like I couldn't understand what I was looking at while they did it. That makes almost no sense, I know, but it was confusing me in a logistics sense. Then again, I am terrible with anything spatial-relations-related -- TERRIBLE!

I love Buenos Aires so much. Years ago, I was sent there on a work trip and didn't want to leave. I wish that there had been a challenge at the San Telmo flea market; I loved it there!

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Love 6

When they were reading the clue before deciding who would to the tango... the mother says "it says sideways - that's you" or something similar.  Was that some kind of off allusion to him being gay?

I have a new hashtag suggestion for the green team. #STFUJustin

He is so irritating, it sucks the fun out of this show for me. And the challenges were not fun. That cardboard looked like it was placed there just for them, a whole bunch of it looked brand new. And like many of these challenges with a bunch of teams, the dancing people looked like they wanted it to all be over so they could go home.

And "I made you! You came out of my belly!" could have been left unsaid by Mom in Pink. Along with "It's a million dollars, I'll buy you new feet!" to the girl running barefoot.

I love Ernest and Jin, their joy at just being there is contagious. But if they keep up with the sob stories every week, I'll FF. I feel for them, but OK already.

Bye cousins! You left with smiles on your faces.

Thank you!  He is so freaking annoying, and I don't even quite understand why.  He and his green headwear just grate my very last nerve.  And enough with the tears.  I wish he would be booted so we can get his final river of tears out of the way already.  How is that poor woman ever going to marry him?

So glad the track girls were able to stay in the race, and in spite of themselves Texas team is growing on me.  There are still a lot of teams I forget about/don't care about.  Reporters, Paparazzi, the Doctors, the Cheerleaders.  I also love mother/son team, I really love their story because it seems like one where love won over small-mindedness.  I like track girls too.

Absolutely agreed that the cardboard looked suspiciously new.  I kept thinking "wouldn't you recycle USED cardboard?  

The dancers each have 5 jobs and sleep in their cars, but I felt most sorry for the people who played the music for the tango.  I hope they had more than one set of musicians.

I think a lot of the sob story telling (Mom couldn't accept that I was gay, we work five jobs, etc...) is in response to questions from the production staff.  I just wish the production staff would quit asking them the same questions.  Have them tell their story once a season and then, if they think it is so important that viewers be constantly reminded of it, make it part of their team name or hashtag it - Team Sleeps in Car, #Momsahomophobe  

However, I was okay with the dancers telling their sob story at the mat because they thought they were last and seemed devastated. I did find it interesting that so many teams didn't realize where they ranked when they got to the mat.  All of the final three thought they were last, and the Texans thought they were racing pink team for first place even though they had to have known that Justin had left the tango before them.  

I have two adult sons.   I have never in my life said anything to the effect of "I made you, You came out of my belly" to either of them.  And especially not in the context of taking credit for something they did.   Pink Mom (is that what we're calling her?  I have no clue who is who yet) irked me with that comment, remembering that she and her son stopped talking when he came out as gay.  Yeah, don't accept his sexuality, but take credit when his dancing skills give you an advantage! 

I sort of expected her to make some comment about him being a good dancer because he was gay. Then again, I may be stereotyping people who turn their backs on their children for things that have no negative impact on the world (go ahead and disown your child if he is Osama Bin Laden or Adolph Hitler, I am okay with that).  

• Love 7

I fully understand why almost every team picked the cardboard.  The "grind it out" physical task is always a lot less risky than the one that requires more brains and precision.  Interesting RB, though that tango music really grated after a while.  And a genuinely tense finish.  I was really hoping the cousins would last though.  Of the final 3 teams, I was rooting for Ernest and Jin to get the boot.  I'm already weary of their sob stories, and the cousins seem like really cool guys, and I didn't want 2 of the 3 girl teams to be the first teams out.

I would have thought the same, but the reporters seemed to do the statue task without a hitch.  It wasn't hard to place the statue in the back of the truck in a way to keep it from breaking, it wasn't like the person in the back had to try to hold it together while navigating bumpy roads, the statue wasn't made out of a fragile material.  I guess you could have easily gotten lost, but they didn't.  I do think that given the choice I would have gone for the cardboard because you just don't know any of the variables going into the statue challenge.

It's official...I hate Team Stoopid Green Hat. Justin is irksome and annoying but I can't figure out any specific cause for my dislike (aside from the stoopid hat). Just do not like.

I'm not a fan of the smarmy Texas boys either, but their intense dislike of Justin makes me want them to outlast their rivals.

Yeah, I despise Justin but I also don't quite understand why.  He and his stupid collection of green handbands, bandanas, hats and caps can't get off my screen soon enough.  Although I predict an ocean of tears if/when it happens.

I also don't think I would like the Texans very much if they didn't hate Justin...but the enemy of my enemy and all...

I don't mind the Texas guys, they seem helpful to other teams which I like. Justin on the other hand seems like the type to sit back and cackle while people are struggling so ugh. Was sad to see the cousins go, but the ending was exciting because I didn't want any of the remaining teams to be eliminated.

I hope we don't have to hear too much more of the dancing brothers sob stories. It puts me in a weird place because then I have to root for them to win, and I like to choose based on personality not life story. I thought the Basilica was beautiful and also appreciated that the teams were good sports about the tango.

I sort of feel like he did that the first challenge with the water bikes.  The Texans broke theirs somehow, and while I wouldn't expect Justin to help, I remember him doing/saying something that made me think "ewww."  I hope they aren't some fan favorite that the show is going to go out of their way to save.  Although, I will say that I respect that he and a few other teams seemed to have made the effort to learn/retain spanish.

I feel like we're missing something with regards to Texas' hate for Justin. I mean he is annoying and OTT, but Texas seems to disproportionately despise him. And I remember I thought they seemed to hate him already during the very first task because he asked them what happened with the water bikes and they seemed super annoyed by it and basically ignored him, which I found strange.

That being said, I kind of enjoy Texas. Their hate for Justin is hilarious. And when they were so eager to get second in the second leg of the race that one of them pulled his hamstring I literally guffawed. How stupid!

I like the cheerleaders, but then I'm always drawn to all female teams, especially ones that get no respect.

I really like the dancers, but I am already so tried of "We're homeless!" The shorter one has said it like at least 3 times in both episodes so far. I realize it's most likely Production forcing them to keep bringing it up, so I still like them, but it's SO annoying.

When they started showing the news reporter team I was like, "who the hell are they?" Were they even in the first episode at all? I don't have any recollection of them lol.

Edited by peachmangosteen

For someone who's such a fan of the race, Justin seems oddly clueless about the social aspect -- declaring a closed info-sharing group without checking to see if anyone else agrees, proclaiming while watching his partner work at the tango that he would have done it better. He seems unconscious of the impression he's making at such moments.

I too was glad to see that the cardboard for the task was "planted." I was concerned that someone's livelihood (which, at that level, they really need) was being taken away. 

I was surprised to see all but one team choose that option, though. The other seemed much more finite and manageable (granted that I don't know all the variables of address-finding): pick up an object and transport it, as opposed to risking one's luck at roaming a neighborhood to find enough scrap cardboard.

Phil seems to be directed to be a bit more of an asshole this time. Leaving homeless guys thinking they were eliminated for that long seemed unusually cruel.

• Love 7

- I want to formally apologize to Team TMZ. It turns out that they were reasonably spot-on with the Norman Bates and his mother description, although that applies to her, not to him. They judged the character of her in the space of LAX and that's really quite impressive.

- Justin, shut up about alliances. This is not Survivor (as hard as CBS sometimes tries). This is The Amazing Race and in 27 seasons, no one has ever not made it to the next task because some other team withheld information. They've not made it due to bad cabs and no money and bad locals, but not because you didn't tell them the name of the church. Shut up. if I never hear one more word about alliances on TAR, I will be glad.

- the male doctor is an ass. I realize editing is everything, but not one positive edit of him in two legs. There has to be a reason.

- I have no problem with any of the teams except Justin and Mom, so no opinion on the rest right now.

- I don't know the cultural politics of Argentina, but would it have been an issue getting a cab being a team of color? Two of the last three teams were teams of color, and the show may have edited the cousins in the same way so it wasn't blatant, but the thought did cross my mind, especially as the camera would have been on the sidewalk and not glaringly obvious until they all got in.

- (Commenting on the situation, not the sexuality) Mom seems to continually infantilize James Earl. Wear pink, come out of my belly. She has the feel of an Alabama pageant mom who cannot accept that her son is grown and likes men in a sexual way. Like she goes squick at the thought of her baby boy engaging in a sexual act with anyone. I wonder what would happen if he brought home an uber masculine man as his partner? Or an older partner? I don't think she could hang. He is one of those who I would like to know more about separate from her.

Edited by justawatcher
  • Love 3

I started rooting for Ernst & Jin when they did their "Welcome to the Airport" dance and for Alex and Adam when one of them actually entered the recycle bin and his cousin shut the door on him and then grinned impishly at the camera. And I started rooting against Jazmine and Danielle after the "strong abs" speech, which was fine when Jazmine was just talking about her own abs but then she got to the "if you have flabby abs like ... no offense" part of it. I think she caught herself just in time from saying that Alex was flabby, and "no offense" is always grating to me; it's on a par with "I hate to say it, but ..." or "not to sound racist/sexist/etc., but ..." So having those three in the back was sad for me because the odds were that one of my favorites were going to be eliminated.

Team Paparazzi is going to be a joy, I can tell already. I already wanted to pass on them last week after Chris said he often goes up in a helicopter to get his photos, which means he's one of those guys who hovers over a celebrity's house with a superzoom lens, but after all of this week's sniping at each other and shortness with the other teams, I'm taking a hard pass.

Everyone else, I have no real opinion on yet. Justin annoys me, but I enjoy how much he annoys Team Texas more, so I hope both teams stay for a while.

• Love 2

I was pleased at how the reporters handled the statue task, and that they weren't "on" as they were doing it. Nice to see an adult conversation, fairly low-key. They distinguished themselves in my mind for that. 

Justin vs. Texas - I really couldn't care less. Neither team is going to get my fandom. I was more interested in what was happening at the back of the pack.

I, too, liked the bottom 3 teams best. The dancers' sob story wasn't too annoying to me - it just made me think of Amani, saying "as an NFL wife" before every talking head, all those years ago.... producer-driven. I am hoping they go far. 

I was sad for the cousins, they seemed pretty bummed out. 

• Love 4

I wasn't as surprised at the hat wearing in the Basilica (after all they weren't there to worship, just passing through and in other places teams have been told what is and is not acceptable in places of worship such as not running or giving the women head scarves) as I was that the clue was being given by a priest -in the church!- I have to admit I was a little shocked by that.

• Love 9

IDK why people want to form alliances anyway, to me it's a bad thing to do. When an alliance is formed some members will expect to be owed something down the line, like where a clue is, help on navigation, or taking the FF over another alliance team member. I think maybe they form alliances so they don't get U-Turned but screw that. Forming an alliance can cause you to get eliminated because you want to help alliance members. If you're confident in your abilities to do physical & mental tasks as well as navigation, you don't need an alliance.

What I also learned (I'm always learning things about this show) but when racers ask locals for help and the local appears on camera, the locals are given a release form agreeing to show that footage. I wonder how long that takes and how much time is shaved off, can't that take a while for them to sign.

• Love 2

I wasn't as surprised at the hat wearing in the Basilica (after all they weren't there to worship, just passing through and in other places teams have been told what is and is not acceptable in places of worship such as not running or giving the women head scarves) as I was that the clue was being given by a priest -in the church!- I have to admit I was a little shocked by that.

Yes, it had too much of a liturgical feel for me.  It surprised me, also

- Justin, shut up about alliances. This is not Survivor (as hard as CBS sometimes tries). [...] Shut up. if I never hear one more word about alliances on TAR, I will be glad.

I didn't really like it when Team Lunkhead were saying "Right!  We have to form an alliance and get them out!"  I don't like the idea of ganging up on a team because you don't like them.  If you want to win, don't conspire against the team that's beating you.  Race better!

• Love 10

Big famous churches and places of worship seem to have long since made their peace with the undeniable fact that they're a tourist attraction too, and that people will enter and explore it who aren't there to worship. And for the Race in particular, they've been approached in advance for permission, undoubtedly paid (made a donation) for the time and trouble, and in some cases like this the clergy will participate. I guess it isn't so different in principle from running a picnic or fair to benefit the church, and all in a day's work if it doesn't interfere with services. (The choir would have been "placed" for this stop as atmosphere, and wasn't in the middle of a service.)

• Love 3

Big famous churches and places of worship seem to have long since made their peace with the undeniable fact that they're a tourist attraction too, and that people will enter and explore it who aren't there to worship. And for the Race in particular, they've been approached in advance for permission, undoubtedly paid (made a donation) for the time and trouble, and in some cases like this the clergy will participate. I guess it isn't so different in principle from running a picnic or fair to benefit the church, and all in a day's work if it doesn't interfere with services. (The choir would have been "placed" for this stop as atmosphere, and wasn't in the middle of a service.)

As mentioned above, that particular church is well known for its beauty and historical significance, so tourists are common there.  They may even conduct tours and such during the day.  I've done some medical volunteer work in Peru and we were often invited to set up medical clinics inside of churches because they're often the largest, nicest building in the town.  The churches in Latin America often serve dual purposes in the community. The priest removes the Eucharist from the tabernacle during the clinic or other non-religious event, which is probably what this church did during filming.  For that matter, the priest might've been an actor or other local hired by production,  The show has done that before.  Or, maybe the pastor was willing to hand out clues in exchange for a contribution or thought it would be fun to do. 

Edited by doodlebug
  • Love 2

Who knows? Maybe the priest is a TAR fan. Sidenote: I went to Easter services in the Duomo in Milan a few years ago for the high mass service. They ushered all the tourists to the outside of the screened off sanctuary, but once one made it clear that they were there to worship rather than sightsee, they were welcomed in to the sanctuary area to worship. The rest of the tourists went by with their tour groups behind the screen.

• Love 1
I don't have a problem with Justin but came down squarely on his side when Billy Bob or whatever (ok, James Earl) immediately broke their agreement and shared the basilica information with Beefcake and the Paparazzi (which coincidentally is the name of my next garage band).

In fairness, it looked like James was the one who looked up the information on someone's laptop, shared it with Justin and Justin told him he wouldn't share it with anyone else. James didn't make that promise and as the person who found the information it was James' to share with whoever he wanted to. Now did I think it was dumb for James to just hand Team Texan that information, sure but Justin's approaching and confronting him and being all indignant was out of line and seemed to spark the drama between them and Team Texan.

I feel like we're missing something with regards to Texas' hate for Justin. I mean he is annoying and OTT, but Texas seems to disproportionately despise him. And I remember I thought they seemed to hate him already during the very first task because he asked them what happened with the water bikes and they seemed super annoyed by it and basically ignored him, which I found strange.

I actually don't remember the Texan guys ignoring Justin when he asked about their water bike. I think they did say they peddled too hard and sort of joked about not knowing their strength. I really think their dislike for Justin is what we saw in the episode. Justin does have an ability to come across incredibly annoying, perhaps without his realizing it. Yes, he supported his fiance throughout the task but he felt it necessary to point out as soon as she left to do the task that he's a better dancer than her. Then he was laughing at one point about one of the Texan guys not having the dance and he just kept up a steady stream of commentary throughout like he was narrating the show for viewers.

And I just felt like if I was annoyed watching the these few edited moments, I cannot imagine what it was like sitting there and having to listen to him. I think his personality is just grating without his realizing and then coupled with the whole airport thing of him walking up and confronting James about sharing the information that James found with the Texan guys and it was just on. I do think it's funny though that true to his cluelessness he doesn't even realize the guys are in this battle with him. 

• Love 7

What I also learned (I'm always learning things about this show) but when racers ask locals for help and the local appears on camera, the locals are given a release form agreeing to show that footage. I wonder how long that takes and how much time is shaved off, can't that take a while for them to sign.

I would think that the signing of release forms is handled by someone in production after the racers have moved on their merry way -- racers ask for directions/information, they go off down the road, the cameraperson follows them, and someone else (probably someone who speaks the language) shoves a release form at them and asks them to sign it.  

I hadn't really thought about release forms, except when they blur someone's face (because they didn't sign the release?).  I always think of it as two racers and their cameraperson, but there must be other people there too, waiting with release forms.  I wonder how big the group is?  

While I was over Justin's sobs in the first episode, I didn't find him that objectionable since I could empathize with seeing his dream of being on TAR coming to an end on the first leg. Unfortunately, he's starting to annoy me in this episode. I find it interesting that he also seems to be annoying team Beefcake. I want to like that team simply for the pretty factor, but they're way too DudeBro frat-like.

There was an awful lot of sharing of information going on in this episode. Normally, I really like when contestants on reality shows help each other to succeed (see Face Off when they help open molds or offer advice), but not on TAR. Granted, all it was on this leg was telling other teams about what the Roadblock was, but there was also the sharing of the name of the church while at the airport. Plus, "alliance" was mentioned, and that rarely goes well on TAR, whether instigated by the teams or by TAR itself (see Intersections). But Team DudeBro Beefcake already wants to work to get out Justin because they don't like him. I remember when all the teams were helping each other except for the Cowboys, and I don't want to see that sort of collusion again.

I was sad to see the cousins go. I think they were the team that I was starting to root for the most. However, it wasn't a good sign that one is easily freaked out by heights, especially with the helicopter last week. You know there's going to be some sort of task that involves rappelling, zip-lining, or other height based activity. While it might have been entertaining to see another water-slide level freak out, it's probably better that they're gone. And if I were honest with myself, they looked rather handsome in this episode.

As far as the other teams go, I'm not really thrilled with anyone yet. I'm just not moved by the dancers homeless plight, and am already tired of hearing their sob story. Though Phil seemed rather cruel to them and a couple others at the finish line this leg. I dislike the cheerleaders for simply being cheerleaders. I hate the stupid chakattack name. Provided the newscasters don't ever use their on-air voice and cadence ever again, I might be able to start liking them. The runners are also a possibility if they can get their act together and start performing better.

The only other thing that annoyed me is the presence of yet another take-a-number queue sequence. I understand why they did that to prevent the teams barging in and fighting over each other to get a clue quicker, but I really don't like the ordered queues like that. At least there was an entire leg remaining with a detour and a roadblock to shake up the order. Since we had a number queue on the first leg, I really hope this isn't the season of queues on every leg.

I'm rather glad they did the take a number thing on this one. Can you imagine the pushing, yelling, running, and fighting to get into (and then once in) a basilica in a Latin Catholic country? It might have resulted in some Top Gear level escape and evade action (coincidentally, also in Argentina) Instead, I guess they had a production member smacking them around off camera as everyone walked, had knees and shoulders covered, and spoke softly.

What was the deal in the airport? was Justin running around giving away the address to the Basilica? He's pretty much sucking up to everybody within earshot it seems.

I thought it was interesting that the last 3 teams were having so much trouble getting a cab- so many were driving right by them.

I think you mean James.  Justin made way too much out of TeamPink sharing the address; he said he wouldn't share the address, but I didn't hear Mom/Son agree to that pact.  FratBro's irritated me with the implication that James shared the info with them 'cause they're just so hunky.

I noticed that too & wondered how much of being ignored by the taxi drivers was due to two teams being black & the other being dwarves.

I was vaguely hoping for a non-elimination leg, but was oddly pleased to not have to come in and rant about how the two African American teams were fighting each other to see who would suffer the least discrimination.  I will note, however, that these two teams seem to be bleeding an awful lot of (unseen) time during the "get taxis, go to point B," stages of the race, and I seriously wonder of skin color is playing a part.  It isn't self-navigation.

I would have thought the same, but the reporters seemed to do the statue task without a hitch.  It wasn't hard to place the statue in the back of the truck in a way to keep it from breaking, it wasn't like the person in the back had to try to hold it together while navigating bumpy roads, the statue wasn't made out of a fragile material.  I guess you could have easily gotten lost, but they didn't.  I do think that given the choice I would have gone for the cardboard because you just don't know any of the variables going into the statue challenge.

I didn't screen shot it, but did anyone notice how dense the instructions were?  (We got a good shot while the paparazzi were arguing.)  I think that there was something there, from having to give directions to a non-English speaking driver, to the distance, [remember when Phil would say, "task A is challenging and right around the corner, task B is easy, but will require a 15 mile round trip through Buenos Aires traffic?,"] that scared most of the teams into doing the cardboard task.  I was also expecting something bad to happen to the reporters, as we heard the male half drone on and on about how good they were with details.

I would think that the signing of release forms is handled by someone in production after the racers have moved on their merry way -- racers ask for directions/information, they go off down the road, the cameraperson follows them, and someone else (probably someone who speaks the language) shoves a release form at them and asks them to sign it.  

I hadn't really thought about release forms, except when they blur someone's face (because they didn't sign the release?).  I always think of it as two racers and their cameraperson, but there must be other people there too, waiting with release forms.  I wonder how big the group is?  

A couple of RHaP (not just for Survivor!,) related things.  On one of the shows, a group of folk were talking about a season of AR:Canada.  A team that did really well, (won?,) revealed that they saved time by asking if folk would sign the release before they asked anything else.  I believe there's only a crew of two, (camera, sound,) and that the camera guy is usually the one stuck with the releases.

Jessica Liese, our recapper here at PreviouslyTV, does a live after-show on RHaP.  In talking about Ernest and Jin, she said that this is the fourth reality show appearance for Ernest, (and at least the second for Jin.)  They've all been Dance related, (So You Think You Can Dance, others,)  I don't doubt they work hard, but I'm beginning to think that those "five jobs," are dance teacher here two days a week, dance teacher over there once a week, etc.  Not an easy way to make a living, but not what is easily inferred.  

And as a final comment, the short term goal of the race, final leg excluded, is "don't get eliminated."  While I don't want anyone to suffer a serious injury, the DudeBro who "pulled a hammie," in order to beat the fifty-one year old lady for second place gave me great enjoyment.  (I live on sarcasm and schadenfreude.)

• Love 3

I don't like Justin either but I don't like seeing people get ganged on either. I didn't like Brendan and Rachel but I didn't like that just about every team was ganging up on them Dave/Connor, Cowgirls, Leo/Jamal. I don't like watching things like that and it would make me strongly dislike the teams that do the mob mentality. 

• Love 6

I keep reading that Justin kept saying he could do better than his partner at the tango challenge. I thought he was mocking the Texas guy, and that's why the other Texas guy was getting so pissed.

Regarding James Earl, isn't it likely his parents liked the names? Or he was possibly named after grandfathers? When I hear someone is named John David, I don't assume he was named after John David Duggar.

The dancers are not irritating me with the sob story. Unlike Survivor and Big Brother, they aren't attempting to win anyone's vote.

• Love 2

The male Green Superfan is coming across as the lovechild of Foreman Paul from the second season of the Australian edition and S23's "Pinky" Marie, his spiritual successors in enjoyable villainy. 

• Love 1

I really enjoyed this episode. The tango has always been my favorite dance so I would have loved to do that road block :)  Tanner seems to really dislike Justin but I actually find Tanner more annoying him and Josh seem so full of themselves.  I was sad to see the cousins go so soon, I was hoping they went further but I knew it was gonna be tough for them to keep with all of these athletic teams this season and at the same time I really like Ernest and Jin too and I  would have hated to see another female/female team eliminated again so im glad Jazmine and Danielle made it. 

• Love 2

I actually don't remember the Texan guys ignoring Justin when he asked about their water bike. I think they did say they peddled too hard and sort of joked about not knowing their strength.

I believe that was what they said to another team that asked them about what was going on. I think they were short with Justin when he asked and basically just ignored him. In fact, them ignoring Justin struck me as even odder after they seemed to joke around about it with another team. 

The male Green Superfan is coming across as the lovechild of Foreman Paul from the second season of the Australian edition and S23's "Pinky" Marie, his spiritual successors in enjoyable villainy.

I am so glad I'm not the only person who thinks of Pinky everytime Justin opens his mouth.

• Love 1

Like he said on the mat, they thought they were racing for first place.

I feel like it's still so stupid. Racing hard enough that you pull your hamstring just to get first place in the second leg? Dumb. But I assume he hasn't actually pulled his hamstring and he just got a cramp or something anyway.

• Love 5

From a google search on wearing hats in a Catholic church:

"Men’s Hats in the Church

While etiquette rules for women regarding hair covering can be complicated depending on the event or specific beliefs, etiquette for men is quite simple. While it is not mandated by the Church, according to the 1983 Canon Law, men are not to wear hats in church for any reason, as it is considered improper to do so whether the hat is formal or casual. This custom is based on 1 Corinthians 11:4, which states that men must not cover their heads when in prayer."

We used to attend a very contemporary Protestant church.  Occasionally, young men would come in with their baseball caps (usually turned around backwards).  We were supposed to focus on how glad we were that they were in church.  I had to constantly fight the urge to yank it off their heads.

Did I mention I'm old fashioned?

• Love 3

This episode was kind of boring since the teams were so bunched up and there were no surprises, so the whole second half of the show was everyone doing the tango roadblock.  And the challenge just wasn't that interesting to watch, so it really got old after ten minutes.  Bummed that the little guys were eliminated.  They finished the dance ahead of two teams, and I figured they were doing the usual editing fake-out when they were having trouble getting the taxi and finding the finish.  Oh well.

This custom is based on 1 Corinthians 11:4, which states that men must not cover their heads when in prayer."

They weren't there to pray, they were there to get a clue for a game show.

• Love 2

Phil said very clearly that there are people there who make their living collecting the cardboard, so I'm fine with the show providing the cardboard for the racers so as not to take away from the people who need it to survive.

• Love 2

I hate the male Chac. Last week he was a jer to his wife and this week he says: "16 years of school and I'm on the street collecting trash." First of all: nothing wrong with collecting trash, and if nobody would do it, you'd be buried in yours. 2nd: You're on the Amazing Race. If you feel sorry for yourself and think it's beneath you, whatever the task, shut up! Give your slot to someone who will appreciate it more and not be a pill to watch. Grrr.  I also noticed that his wife was carrying both their packs. I might like her, and I don't know why she's with this guy.

This  put me off too . Let's hope it was a one off and not a hint  of Ugly American Syndrome  in future episodes.

• Love 3