Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E01: Pilot

thewhiteowl

I loved it. Yeah, it was full of medical clichès, but I'm hooked. I really liked the characters and enjoy the fact that the cast is relatively small for a medical show. I can't wait to see what this show could be.

And I'll admit, I teared up during the organ donation scene. I had a nephew who died but was able to donate. I know the daughter meeting who the heart went to is super unrealistic but is very moving when you do meet the recipient (something I was able to do and it was incredible).

My favorite part? How much medicine there was. I liked that the characters were the secondary story to the ER and the crazy cases. And I liked what we did find out about the characters.

Edited by SnoGirl
  • Love 3

but it's Luis Guzman who will have me coming back!

Yup! I was in when I heard he was joining the cast, but when I heard he was chief nurse? So intrigued and ready!  

The one who surprised me and earned some love was the admin who plays referee between The Doctor They Want and The Doctor They Need.  "I've got psoriasis" was a hoot!  Moesha's dad was cool and I want to know more about him.

I loved the interns/non-performing doctors jumping up on that raised area to watch the chaos. That seems reasonably realistic. Passing chairs for the shorter one to stand on. It was an eye-catching moment for me.

I do want to punch Dr. "You're Old" in his balls. The balls he oh-so-jadedly used to call his patient a junky. I hope she sues his ass, not the hospital. The way he practically whined about Kristen doing the surgery in the back of an ambulance made me want to slap him again. I have watched too many medical shows and have low patience for these kinds of characters.  I don't think Karov was this self-satisfied in Grey's early going, but I could be misremembering. Maybe Peter Benton was this level of "all-knowing", but he and Alex became characters. This is just the pilot, so I'll wait. Like Momma, I'll hold out for a hero 'til the end of the night. *g*

Where Dr. "You're Old" is grating, I didn't mind the young Dr. "I'm A Doctor".  She is reasonable, mostly a team player and willing to own her shit, at least with a co-worker.  I like her and "Young Squire" and hope they are each other's person. They had a nice vibe and I don't mean romantic.

Yes, there were all sorts of tropes flying around, but this show's pace is so quick, that unless it's the Big Theme for the hour, you can mostly ignore the ones you don't like- not unlike the sk8r boi/head trauma case.

I'm ready for next week.

I wanted to like this show. I didn't.  I didn't hate it, I mostly found it kind of confusing and dull.   I've never seen a single episode of E.R. or Grey's Anatomy, the last medical show I watched with any regularity was St. Elsewhere (yes, I'm that old!) and I loved that show, the characters and the story lines, it was a great show.  This show didn't have a single character that I thought would be interesting to follow.  That's not on the actors, they did what they could with what they were given, it's the fault of the writing I think.   And for a show set in Los Angeles, there is so much they could do, it's a fascinating city with a ton of different twists that could be explored, but based on this episode this could have been generic big city anywhere in the US.

• Love 6

I think this might be my favorite new pilot of the season (so far). I loved it. It had everything I wanted, tons of medicine and drama, humor and heart break, and good characters with lots of potential.

Edited by fabinpink
  • Love 2

I cried during the scene with the daughter meeting the organ donor.  It was okay for a pilot and I don't usually watch medical shows.  If this continues with all the medical stuff then I'm out.  I find shows like that boring.  I gave up on House and ER because I found it boring after a while. 

It's the only new show I've been looking forward to this fall, so I wanted to love it, but it really was just one medical show cliche after another.  But I realize it's just the pilot, and I really like the cast and the dynamics between MGH/Luis Guzman & MGH/Raza Jaffrey, so I'll definitely be back next week.

And I don't know if Kevin Dunn is just going to be recurring from here on out, but I hope he sticks around.  He was great.

• Love 2

One of the problems I had with this show was actually the premise... the hospital is in Code Black 300 times per year... that means that one day per week (probably Wednesdays, haha) they are ok.

Um... don't you think it's time you allotted some funds for more resources then?!

Or maybe at least a bigger room? In the big scene with our 2 rival docs talking Old Marm doc through a C-section, it looked like they were all on top of each other with no space to drop an instrument or bandage except into a patient. Could it have been any more crowded in there? It's like the resource they are over-extended on every day is just physical space. Meanwhile they've got a viewing gallery that's like 10 stories high. WTF?

It seems ridiculous to me that they could consistently be that over-extended and nothing is ever done about it. Yeah, I know, inner city hospitals and all that, but they are also presenting this as the premiere place to go for that desperate last chance... like it's also the BEST hospital or ER. It makes no sense. Although I liked Head nurse's speech to the newbies, I just can't buy the idea that a place that is constantly stressed for it's limited resources is also the top ER in LA for exceptionally difficult trauma cases.

I also found it absurd that they would rotate doctors off a patient and onto another patient willy-nilly even when it isn't necessary prior to code black, so that none of them fully examine a patient. What I saw certainly didn't comprise exceptional patient care, but dumb luck when it worked out, and unnecessary risk when it didn't. For example: the kid's got major fracture from a friggin' SKATEBOARD accident AND he's woosy and dopey, and NO ONE thinks to examine his head? Wouldn't checking for head trauma be an automatic thing in the case of a street-sport injury? Did he have a helmet on when they brought him in? (I can't remember)

While checking for CM poisoning wouldn't be a first thought with the pregnant woman, they certainly didn't explore any potential possibilities with her. She was so pregnant she was about to burst right there, and they sent her home with hardly any exam or tests. Ridiculous. Meanwhile our supposedly exceptional maverick doc who will go out on a risky limb and kill a ptient to save him, makes REALLY poor choices on what seems obvious... ie, do at least a cursory head exam on a teenage boy who had a accident on pavement... dig a little further on a 9 month pregnant woman with a problem, or at least admit her to the damn hospital for observation. They may not have a free OR during code black, but they don't have a free bed or even a stretcher for a hallway? C'mon.

The more I think about it, the more this show is terrible. Hopefully the next episode will settle down a bit, but if it stays this dumb, I'm out.

And don't get me started on the "Youre old" crap with a doctor who in the fast editing looked no older than anyone else until we finally got an extended scene with her, plus the "I was in med school while you were ferrying kids around" BS... how do you think SHE got there? She went to med school too, right? Bleh.

• Love 8

I miss ER and House, so I am ready for a med drama.  I generally find Luis Guzman annoying, but I like him in this.  Please writers, don't make him gay.  Not because gay is bad, but because then it is a stereotype....the caring male nurse can't possibly be hetero.  I need this character to be a caring male nurse who has a wife!!!  I too liked the head admin guy (the "I got eczema one").  But "young squire" is going to get old fast.  I liked it enough that I'll be back to see how it grows.  

• Love 1

She was so pregnant she was about to burst right there, and they sent her home with hardly any exam or tests. Ridiculous.

About two years ago, I had very sharp pain on my left side and was nauseated. I just hurt and it would not subside. My DH took me to a doc in a box, who promptly told us that, since it my be my appendix, I probably needed a hospital.  We go to the closest hospital's ER. I get a couple of questions and I think I even threw up. After about 10- 15 minutes, I get prescriptions for nausea and something else.  DH gets me home, I take my anti-nausea meds and promptly throw them up. I think we waited a half hour before returning to the ER.  This time they admitted me. Then I spent five days in a room before a diagnosis was actually found. Well, four.

On day four, after my pain migrated from my left to right side, there was a session with a sonogram. I had to have my gall bladder removed the next day.  My husband is still angry about  the being sent home, trying to bill us for two ER trips and five or six days total. 

A long way to say, to me, the blowing off of someone presenting with only a headache doesn't surprise me. It was Cowboy Doc blowing off the patient that surprised me, considering her "those who hesitate are lost" philosophy and the reveal that she lost "everybody".  I would think that making sure you didn't lose anyone would be higher when not in Code Black. Especially, as she told Kristen, Kristen's patients are essentially her patients.

the blowing off of someone presenting with only a headache doesn't surprise me. It was Cowboy Doc blowing off the patient that surprised me, considering her "those who hesitate are lost" philosophy and the reveal that she lost "everybody".  I would think that making sure you didn't lose anyone would be higher when not in Code Black. Especially, as she told Kristen, Kristen's patients are essentially her patients.

Exactly... I could believe the young gun doc saying "She's drug seeking" and dismissing her. But for Cowgirl doc to toss her without another thought, despite BOTH younger doctors deciding another test made sense, was just silly. They're essentially HER patients, but she doesn't see them or listen to the doctors who did?

I wouldn't want her for a doctor unless I was at the stage of needing to be killed in order to live. Maybe they are trying to make her like House... she's not invested in "routine" ER patients, just the "interesting" cases. But House wouldn't send someone home without solving the puzzle, so Cowgirlfriend is a fail.

About two years ago, I had very sharp pain on my left side and was nauseated. I just hurt and it would not subside. My DH took me to a doc in a box, who promptly told us that, since it my be my appendix, I probably needed a hospital.  We go to the closest hospital's ER. I get a couple of questions and I think I even threw up. After about 10- 15 minutes, I get prescriptions for nausea and something else.  DH gets me home, I take my anti-nausea meds and promptly throw them up. I think we waited a half hour before returning to the ER.  This time they admitted me. Then I spent five days in a room before a diagnosis was actually found. Well, four.

On day four, after my pain migrated from my left to right side, there was a session with a sonogram. I had to have my gall bladder removed the next day.  My husband is still angry about  the being sent home, trying to bill us for two ER trips and five or six days total. 

A long way to say, to me, the blowing off of someone presenting with only a headache doesn't surprise me. It was Cowboy Doc blowing off the patient that surprised me, considering her "those who hesitate are lost" philosophy and the reveal that she lost "everybody".  I would think that making sure you didn't lose anyone would be higher when not in Code Black. Especially, as she told Kristen, Kristen's patients are essentially her patients.

my husband's grandfather went to an ER with stomach pains (twice) and was sent home with instructions to take antacids.  Yeah, he died from something in his stomach....bleeding or strangulation or something.  

I liked it. Rampart General has now become Angeles Memorial, I'm that old too.The question in the future will be if the budget cuts out the Code Black trauma room scenes and extras. Have to admit I got a kick out of the older doc with his "young squire" line. While I won't stay up for it live since I work early this one will be time shifted as long as they keep up the good work.

I like it well enough for a pilot, and I didn't dislike any of the characters right off the bat. 

I thought I heard them say these people are new residents (not interns).  Did I hear that correctly?  If so, I'm glad since they shouldn't be so inexperienced as to make dumb mistakes, just arrogant ones.  I'm so tired of the "dumb and bumbling interns" trope.

Edited by izabella
  • Love 1
I've never seen a single episode of E.R. or Grey's Anatomy, the last medical show I watched with any regularity was St. Elsewhere (yes, I'm that old!) and I loved that show, the characters and the story lines, it was a great show.

I loved 'St. Elsewhere' too.  I thought of that show when they showed the daughter listening to her dad's heart inside the young girl.  I know it's kind of gotten to be a cliche in transplant plotlines to do this sort of thing, but the first time I ever saw it happen on a show was the episode of 'St. Elsewhere' where David Morse's character listened to his wife's transplanted heart (Nina?) inside of a patient.  I still remember that scene so many years later.

I liked the show okay and will continue to watch.  I especially liked that they didn't make it look like a 'Hollywood tv set'.  It was kind of grimy, crowded and 'worn'.  The phone on the wall was scratched and chipped, for example.

The only problem I know I'll continue to have is that I miss a lot of the jargon and fast dialogue without an option to have close captioning.  Maybe I can catch it online later and turn on CC.  

Edited by BooksRule
  • Love 2

I like it. Less personal drama, more medical actions and science. There are tropes and cliches, but I hope it is simply for the Pilot. I like Marcia Gay Harden in a seriously serious role, not the jokingly serious in Trophy Wife.

• Love 2

I loved 'St. Elsewhere' too.  I thought of that show when they showed the daughter listening to her dad's heart inside the young girl.  I know it's kind of gotten to be a cliche in transplant plotlines to do this sort of thing, but the first time I ever saw it happen on a show was the episode of 'St. Elsewhere' where David Morse's character listened to his wife's transplanted heart (Nina?) inside of a patient.  I still remember that scene so many years later.

I liked the show okay and will continue to watch.  I especially liked that they didn't make it look like a 'Hollywood tv set'.  It was kind of grimy, crowded and 'worn'.  The phone on the wall was scratched and chipped, for example.

The only problem I know I'll continue to have is that I miss a lot of the jargon and fast dialogue without an option to have close captioning.  Maybe I can catch it online later and turn on CC.  

Not to get off on St. Elsewhere but one of the things that distinguishes a show like that from this one is that the characters weren't all good looking.  Yes there was Mark Harmon and it wasn't as if everyone else was super ugly or anything, there was just a good cross-section of sort of average looking people, some nicer looking (Denzel Washington) than others (Ed Begley Jr for example).   Here we've got Luis Guzman and some people in the background who look like they might actually work in an ER in a public hospital and that's about it.  But then that's one of my gripes about TV these days anyway, too many shows have beautiful people cast in roles where their looks distract from the credibility of their performance.     I think Marcia Gay Harden is a good actress and she wasn't terrible in this or anything but the whole time I was watching her I was thinking, wouldn't someone like Camryn Manheim be great in this role.  Or maybe Chloe Sevigny, someone who can bring the hint of crazy.  Oh, well early days, we'll see how it develops.

• Love 2

St. Elsewhere=YES

ER=YES

Chicago Hope=yeah

House (different kind of hospital, but YES)

Grey's Anatomy and anything thing after that- NO

Unfortunately for me, I watched this from a hospital bed.  Even though I knew that I was altered a bit, this show bugged the hell out of me.  It might have been my condition, but I was actually quietly yelling at the TV about how much I thought this show sucked.  Seriously, I found it unbelievably bad. I want to point out that, once again, it isn't the actors- it's the writing and directing.  I was even laying odds in my mind of how long it would last until a merciful cancellation. BUT, I was feeling poorly and I had felt that the awful previews that had been running for this show had me going in expecting it to not be that great. I just didn't expect what I saw. 

Having sad all that nasty stuff, I will tune in again to see if the show gets better for me.  I'm glad other people liked Code Black because it's always good for someone to find a new show to watch. I can't keep up with shows I like anymore.

• Love 3

Not bad for a medical drama. I liked that it was less soapy and more about the medicine, and that the residents had each other's backs instead of competing. Will keep watching to see if it stays this way.

• Love 2

Ha!  I watch everything but Spongebob with captioning.  LOL

• Love 3

It seems ridiculous to me that they could consistently be that over-extended and nothing is ever done about it. Yeah, I know, inner city hospitals and all that, but they are also presenting this as the premiere place to go for that desperate last chance... like it's also the BEST hospital or ER. It makes no sense. Although I liked Head nurse's speech to the newbies, I just can't buy the idea that a place that is constantly stressed for it's limited resources is also the top ER in LA for exceptionally difficult trauma cases.

I know it seems weird, and the show keeps using the terms emergency medicine and trauma medicine like they are the same thing (not), but it's absolutely, horribly true that the best training hospitals for trauma medicine are the ones located where there are the most opportunities to practice it — the inner city, with its steady stream of life threatening injuries due to violence, unsafe housing conditions, etc., and where hospitals are also likely to be underfunded and be deficient in other services...

Not sure if it's still true (haven't seen the doc that inspired this series) but it used to be that not just aspiring trauma specialists in the typical intern-resident track but doctors from around the world would come to LA County for training because the only other way to get as much experience and education in treating gunshot and stabbing injuries was in a war zone.

• Love 1

Agreed. I think it's probably a crappy place to be a patient, but a great place to learn to be a doctor.

I'm in. I liked the characters, and I love MGH and Raza Jaffrey.

Maybe for most patients but for the those needing the special skills there are only 14 places in Los Angeles County that are staffed and waiting for them. The one closest is the premier place for them to go for a "homeboy dropoff'

One of the hardest ED programs to get in (along with surgery) is Harbor/UCLA and USC county. Those programs are crazy busy but you come out being a well trained doctor. I also can't distinguish which doctor is an ED one, and which one is a trauma surgeon. It would have been nice to see some surgery residents, but since it's a medical show I have long given up on any realism.

I thought I heard them say these people are new residents (not interns).

Isn't an intern a first-year resident?

Love the old codger references to St. Elsewhere. (Yes, Morrison's wife's name was Nina.) I would say it was a first with the ensemble cast. I've known William Allen Young since the 80s (loved looking at him) and haven't seen him since "Any Day Now". While watching his character, I thought about Dr. Auschlander.

I liked this show a lot. Hope they keep the story in the hospital and not go home with anyone. I like people's personal lives being revealed gradually, and through work interactions. Liked all the characters except Dr. Diesel: the exchange of barbs between Mama and Papa, Pineda's becoming a team player and helping out the hesitant doctor. Dr. Diesel, you act as though Dr. Mom hadn't done everything you'd done PLUS a lot more. Idiot. But, there are idiots in every work situation. I also appreciated that they didn't go with a gigantic cast. There's enough action for everyone to get screen time. Please, please, please, no groping in the broom closet or stairwell. Please. 

Granny58, I watch a lot of these shows in CC, too. Had to pause this show to turn it on and rewind a little because the chatter and background overloaded my brain. Without CC, I'd only understand half of the dialog on some of the British movies and shows I watch and three quarters of those fast-paced American shows full of quips and cross-talk.

Yes, of course a lot of this stuff is unrealistic. But isn't that why we watch network TV and not documentaries?

• Love 1

Like others I thought the scene with the transplant recipient and the daughter was touching .Pretty enjoyable pilot

Nearly didn't recognize Emily Alyn Lindt looking like a teenager - she was great as young Amanda in Revenge (her little sister played the 5 yr old version as well) .Her mother (Barbara Woods from One Tree Hill) is her and her 2 sisters acting coach and I think she has done a great job with them

• Love 1

Another codger here, watched St. Elsewhere back in the day. Also use captioning frequently (I'm not deaf; the actors all mumble.)

Took Mrs Torqy to a local ER last month (she's OK now) in a downtown hospital. Not as crazy as the one in the show, but by late afternoon there were patients on gurneys in the corridors as all the cubicles were full. Was told this was not unusual.

Mrs. Torqy worked for the Indian Health Service, and many doctors there told us that they enjoyed working there because they learned more and saw more unusual conditions than they would working in suburbia.

This show kinda reminds me of Night Shift, without all the personal drama. Maybe cross-pollinated with St. Elsewhere.

First time I recall Kevin Dunn not playing a cop...

Edited by torqy
  • Love 1

They really need another hospital  built close by if they are taking 300 code blacks while others only have 5 a year. 

On ER they diverted  to other hospitals when it got to full.

Edited by tom87
  • Love 1

They really need another hospital  built close by if they are taking 300 code blacks while other only have 5 a year.

Ugh I couldn't even continue watching after about 20 minutes. Complete cliche'. So tired of these medical shows making it like it is the single greatest achivement ever to work in an er and sort of one upping the ridcioulousness of it. I want SNL to do a skit on this. It used to be that an er show would like snow normal ers, then they started having copter crashes and ferry crashes and now, we have a show that is 24-7 too many traumas and not enough people to deal with it. 

• Love 1

All these "fast talking" medical dramas are basically the same. I've watched quite a few of them and the writing templates can be overlaid to accommodate the situations/characters being portrayed. First reaction to last night was Guzman is a male version of early Bailey (The Nazi) in Grey's.

"We are officially in CODE BLACK, God help us."

• Love 2

They really need another hospital  built close by if they are taking 300 code blacks while other only have 5 a year. 

On ER they diverted  to other hospitals when it got to g full.

I vote for you to be a LA County Supervisor. 

http://ems2.dhs.lacounty.gov/GIS/Maps/Trauma/Trauma_all.pdf

I don't know if Angeles Memorial is supposed to stand in for Harbor UCLA, standing relatively by itself in the south, or County USC in the center of the county which is surrounded by other trauma centers. Rampart stood for in County USC the 70s series Emergency.

edit i might have it backwards on Emergency. The fire station was set in the south near Harbor UCLA even if the paramedics often traveled from the desert to the mountains to the sea in search of different rescue types

Edited by Raja
  • Love 1

They really need another hospital  built close by if they are taking 300 code blacks while others only have 5 a year.

On ER they diverted  to other hospitals when it got to full.

Just another sign of how totally messed up our medical system is.

Could there have been more people in that ED? (I know that is the premise of the show, but it is still ridiculous.) How about getting the parents out of the room when you are doing the procedure?  Gah.  Did not enjoy them showing someone mopping around the blood, dirt, and who-knows-what on the floor. 

Will probably give this one a few more episodes at least.  Does really make me miss the glory days of ER and St. Elsewhere. (Yes, I'm old too.)  Sigh.

• Love 2

I'll give most any medical show a shot, but I bail on most. There just has to be something, a vibe maybe, that gets me. This had it. It made me miss working in the ER, which I loved (the crazier the better), and hospitals in general. I related to a lot. To pretty much every character (staff, patient, or loved one) in one way or another. I'll be back.   

• Love 1

I've never seen a single episode of E.R. or Grey's Anatomy, the last medical show I watched with any regularity was St. Elsewhere (yes, I'm that old!)...

Oh thank god!  I thought you were going to say "Dr. Kildare"!

edit i might have it backwards on Emergency. The fire station was set in the south near Harbor UCLA even if the paramedics often traveled from the desert to the mountains to the sea in search of different rescue types

That's correct. "Rampart" exteriors were shot at what was then called Harbor General (the original building you see in Emergency! is still standing), now Harbor UCLA. Roy and Johnny were based out of that hospital but there were two others mentioned in an early season 3 episode; I forget their names. The fire station that stood in as Station 51 in Emergency! is actually real-life station 127 in Carson, only a few miles east of Harbor. They don't have a squad--just an engine and a truck. I'm currently finishing a binge-watch of all 7 seasons of that show and have been a fan since the 70s. So this was a natural fit for the kind of television I enjoy.

As another posted mentioned upthread it's not a documentary and, since it's a scripted CBS show, it's naturally going to skew older audience-wise, so the pearl-clutching set will need their tropes and Good Outcomes or they won't tune in next week. And you know what? For this 50-something I'm OK with that. Real life offers so few miracles and happy endings that it's nice when the good guys win more than they lose. Would you really want to watch a weekly hourlong drama of routine ER care, broken arms, cuts and bruises, confused seniors who land in the ED because they refuse to take their meds, morbidly obese 60YOs stroking out from heart disease, the retinue in 26-part harmony of extended urban families when their (24 YO) "baby" comes in with a non-life-threatening GSW, walking zombies who need a padded room more than "curtain 1" and junkies/drunks horking their guts up on gurneys? Having just accompanied my wife to the ER after she suffered cooking burns, we'd both have run screaming in terror if that's what our ER looked, sounded (and probably smelled) like.

No, I like this show, from the point of view of a viewer - but I'd rather eat my own spleen than be transported there for treatment in real life. I'm interested in the back stories and character interactions as well as the practice of extreme medicine. I'm not in the field of medicine so I don't know how medically accurate or probable the cases are but I don't care. That can be fixed. I'd much prefer this formula to 20-somethings banging each other in supply closets or another damned Dr. coming-of-age story. Emergency!, ER and St. Elsewhere, in their primes, were appointment television for me. I suspect this will fall into that same category here, unless it gets cancelled.

• Love 4

Isn't an intern a first-year resident?

That's a good question.  I thought they were different, like you have to be an intern for a year and then take an exam in order to become a resident.  And the hospital where you were an intern doesn't have to take you once you are a resident - you have to apply and get into a resident program.  But my knowledge comes from tv, and I may have that wrong.  Does anyone know how it works?

Edited by izabella

I thought you were going to say "Dr. Kildare"!

Richard Chamberlain was one of my first TV crushes and I think he is still handsome at age 81.

There was a kind of rivalry between Dr Kildare and (Dr.)Ben Casey.  Does anyone remember

City Hospital ?