Type keyword(s) to search

"Hell Yeah!" TV Moments

• Start Topic

On 8/20/2021 at 5:37 PM, Mabinogia said:

The main thing I hated about Parks and Rec was how everyone treated Gerry. I know it was a running joke, it just wasn't one I cared for. Felt too close to bullying, that all the others would pile onto one guy and thought it was fun and funny. That always left a bad taste in my mouth. I don't care if he was married to a stunning Christy Brinkley (that woman does not age!) and had a happy home life. It didn't make their treatment any better. 

So yeah, that was such a great, triumphant moment. I love Gary/Gerry Gergich!

That always sat badly with me too. BUT  I will always love that Amy Poehler would always check with Jim O’Heir to make sure he was okay with all the Jerry/Gary/Terry verbal vitriol.  

• Like 3
  • Love 4

In binging Friends after all these years, I really can't say enough about the moment after Rachel sees the video of the prom (2x14) and kisses Ross. It even moved Monica to tears. Great hell yeah moment.

• Like 1
  • Love 3
11 minutes ago, juno said:

In binging Friends after all these years, I really can't say enough about the moment after Rachel sees the video of the prom (2x14) and kisses Ross. It even moved Monica to tears. Great hell yeah moment.

I only ever watched Friends sporadically, came to hate Ross and Rachel together, and absolutely loathe that she abandoned the career opportunity she waited her entire life for to come back to a relationship that had long since run its course in the end (I'd quit watching entirely by then, but of course I heard/read about her stupidly getting off the plane in the finale), but even I must agree that "He's her lobster" kiss is, in a vacuum, a goodie.  If I come across it in syndication, I try to just watch that scene on its own, ignoring all the bullshit that came after.

• Like 5
14 hours ago, Bastet said:

I only ever watched Friends sporadically, came to hate Ross and Rachel together, and absolutely loathe that she abandoned the career opportunity she waited her entire life for to come back to a relationship that had long since run its course in the end (I'd quit watching entirely by then, but of course I heard/read about her stupidly getting off the plane in the finale), but even I must agree that "He's her lobster" kiss is, in a vacuum, a goodie.  If I come across it in syndication, I try to just watch that scene on its own, ignoring all the bullshit that came after.

totally agree. I loathed how the shipping took over the show. But this scene got me right in the feels

• Like 3
  • LOL 1
15 hours ago, juno said:

I never understood what was so great about the video.  Everyone already knew Ross had a crush on Rachel.  I thought they had no chemistry and never understood why she'd be interested in him.  And Ross never saw her as a person but as a prize to win.

• Like 4
  • Applause 3
On 8/20/2021 at 5:37 PM, Mabinogia said:

The main thing I hated about Parks and Rec was how everyone treated Gerry. I know it was a running joke, it just wasn't one I cared for. Felt too close to bullying, that all the others would pile onto one guy and thought it was fun and funny. That always left a bad taste in my mouth. I don't care if he was married to a stunning Christy Brinkley (that woman does not age!) and had a happy home life. It didn't make their treatment any better. 

So yeah, that was such a great, triumphant moment. I love Gary/Gerry Gergich!

On 1/2/2023 at 4:12 PM, Sarahsmile416 said:

That always sat badly with me too. BUT  I will always love that Amy Poehler would always check with Jim O’Heir to make sure he was okay with all the Jerry/Gary/Terry verbal vitriol.  

I hated how Chris and Ben couldn't come up with a reason why someone like Gayle would be married to someone like Gerry. Maybe because he isn't a  asshole that really like being around his family and cooks? It isn't really questioned when some borderline abusive asshole manages to keep a beautiful woman in a toxic relationship for years, and even celebrated when they ride off into the sunset together, but a guy is somewhat bumbling (but is always kind) and it is all why is she with that guy. Maybe Gayle is smarter and saner than most women. 

• Like 11

Stranger Things season four - Vecna, Steve and Robin with molotov cocktails, Nancy with a shotgun.

Nancy Wheeler is one of the most baddass characters on television when she's being decisive and commanding. Why the writers of the show keep threatening her with indecisive love triangles, I'll never know.

• Like 9
  • Applause 1

As a guy in his early 20s and well even today she was 🔥🔥.  

Besides these clips though she was the only reason I was interested in watching the show a little.  The bad girl versus all the other characters in their suburban b.s/drama.

I completely stopped watching after she got killed off.  But I know she cited that was a really horrible work environment 

• Like 1

An old episode of Growing Pains I recall.

Carol got stood up at a carnival by her date I think.  Then one of the older carnival workers there sees her and well kind of spends the rest of the night hitting on her.  Eventually he was gonna try and bed her so to speak but he saw she had self-esteem issues.  Then he eventually tries to get her to stand up for herself and feel better about self.  Carol leaves very happy.  

Jay Acovone was the carnival worker and did a great job with the role.  It was cool to see a show where somebody made someone feel better about themselves.  

Edited by BlueSkies
  • Like 3

Going way back to the early 80s for "V" the original mini series when Julie stands up in the line of fire with just a gun against the firepower of the Visitor's shuttle and then Donovan comes in at the end.  Starts around the 2 minute mark in the clip below

• Like 5
7 hours ago, Thomas Crown said:

Going way back to the early 80s for "V" the original mini series when Julie stands up in the line of fire with just a gun against the firepower of the Visitor's shuttle and then Donovan comes in at the end.  Starts around the 2 minute mark in the clip below

I remember this, but I also remember quite a few other TV miniseries prior to it. Roots, anyone?

• Like 5

One of my earliest memories is watching an alien standing in front of a mirror peel off their human face to reveal snake below in some part of V. Luckily I was the kind of child who knew the difference between fantasy and real world so there was no lasting trauma. 

Edit Update: I actually managed to find that scene and rewatch it just now, nearly 40 years later. It is exactly as I remembered. Weird. Will update if this time finally does manage to traumatise me. 

Edited by Grrarrggh
  • LOL 6
17 hours ago, Thomas Crown said:

I loved V! It's one of my favorite miniseries.

• Like 3
  • Love 1
18 hours ago, andromeda331 said:

Same!  It's too bad things started going downhill with the second miniseries and the weekly series basically turned into a bad soap opera.  I watched it to the bitter end but I doubt that I could make it through an entire episode now.

• Like 4
4 hours ago, Rose Quartz said:

Same!  It's too bad things started going downhill with the second miniseries and the weekly series basically turned into a bad soap opera.  I watched it to the bitter end but I doubt that I could make it through an entire episode now.

So do I. I hated how it when that happened especially the weekly series with them suddenly aging up Elizabeth who I was already annoyed with that they for some reason managed to turn off the doomsday weapon. Cause apparently she's some how magic or that special. Which is too bad I found the character interesting since she was both human and alien. They broke up Julie and Donovan and got a rid of a lot of great characters like Elias, Robert, Ham and Martin.

• Like 5
On 2/8/2023 at 1:03 AM, andromeda331 said:

I loved V! too. 

13 hours ago, Rose Quartz said:

It's too bad things started going downhill with the second miniseries and the weekly series basically turned into a bad soap opera. 

As far as I'm concerned, the second miniseries and weekly TV show don't exist.

• Like 4

I just started watching Ted Lasso and I've fallen in love with it.  This moment was fantastic:

(Nate, the one in the track suit, can be hard to understand because he's talking so softly.  His second comment is about how wonderful Keely is and how nice it must feel to have someone like that attracted to you.  Next he comments on the coach's use of sarcasm and his last question is if they are officially dating.)

• Like 7
15 minutes ago, supposebly said:

Did he just say, "all this Chandler Binging aside?

Did I understand that right? I might have to watch this show.

He did!

I love this show. The characters are complex and some, at least 8 episodes into the 1st season, are showing small amounts of growth without changing their core personalities.  They're also tackling some serious issues, but are still able to keep the show light and humorous.  These have always been my favorite kinds of comedies.  I just hope they don't fall into the typical writing trap of making their mean characters meaner, their silly characters down right ridiculous, etc.  No signs of that so far, but I'm still only on season one.

If you get Apple TV and try it, I hope you like it.

• Like 3
  • Useful 1
12 hours ago, andromeda331 said:

So do I. I hated how it when that happened especially the weekly series with them suddenly aging up Elizabeth who I was already annoyed with that they for some reason managed to turn off the doomsday weapon. Cause apparently she's some how magic or that special. Which is too bad I found the character interesting since she was both human and alien. They broke up Julie and Donovan and got a rid of a lot of great characters like Elias, Robert, Ham and Martin.

Yeah, I believe in the original script Elizabeth reprogrammed the doomsday device, which at least made a little more sense than disarming it with her "magic sparkles".

I remember being so excited that V was going to be a weekly series and then so disappointed when they killed off half the cast in the first two episodes, then they got rid of half of the remaining cast when they essentially did a soft reboot midway through the season.  The remaining episodes were SO bad, but I watched it because they brought in Philip as Martin's twin brother.

And to bring this back on topic, there was a decent hell yeah moment in the last episode when Diana's soldiers have the resistance surrounded.  The humans are about to make a last stand when Philip orders all the alien soldiers back to the ship because he's brokered a peace deal with the supreme leader.  Diana looked like she was going to explode when she found out - Jane Badler was a great villain! 

• Like 1
On 2/9/2023 at 8:29 AM, supposebly said:

Did he just say, "all this Chandler Binging aside?

Did I understand that right? I might have to watch this show.

Honestly, I don't remember Chandler well enough to know why that was funny.  The character seemed nice and a little high strung (maybe?), but I don't remember his dating habits or anything else about his character. 

3 hours ago, Shannon L. said:

The character seemed nice and a little high strung (maybe?), but I don't remember his dating habits or anything else about his character. 

Overthinking and being overly critical of his romantic prospects sums up early Chandler Bing. So, yes, very funny.

• Like 1
  • Useful 3

I don't know if this should go in this thread, or in the one where these scenes just made me laugh. Because the subject matter is nothing to laugh at, but Steve Harris's delivery made me laugh at the absurdity of the description to the jury.

I'm talking about The Practice. Finally available on Prime, and as I watched the third episode, I think it was, Eugene is defending a 3-times felony convicted guy for armed-robbery. And the general description given to the victim was "Black, Big Head" and the victim only identified Eugene's client AFTER he saw him in a line-up, because he'd seen him in cuffs the night of being robbed.

It was the repetition of "Black..Big Head" that made me giggle. It was absurd and like I said, Harris's delivery. But by the end, when it gets serious, he points out, his client doesn't have a "big head" and let's call it what it is, after excluding that description-he was arrested because he was Black.

I'd forgotten how much I loved this show before it went off the rails.

• Like 4

Last night's episode of The Last of Us was outstanding, although really hard to watch. Bella Ramsey deserves nominations for this episode alone. The final scene is my favorite in the series so far.  I'll spoiler tag it in spite of the warning in the thread title since it just came out last night.

Spoiler

Ellie as survived a serious trauma that has left her hysterical and in shock.  She runs into Joel, who's been looking for her, and grabs her, pulls her in, holds her as tight as he can and says "It's ok, you're ok, baby girl." That's the first indication that he's begun to think of her like a daughter.

• Like 2
19 hours ago, Shannon L. said:

Last night's episode of The Last of Us was outstanding, although really hard to watch. Bella Ramsey deserves nominations for this episode alone. The final scene is my favorite in the series so far.  I'll spoiler tag it in spite of the warning in the thread title since it just came out last night.

Hide contents

Ellie as survived a serious trauma that has left her hysterical and in shock.  She runs into Joel, who's been looking for her, and grabs her, pulls her in, holds her as tight as he can and says "It's ok, you're ok, baby girl." That's the first indication that he's begun to think of her like a daughter.

Spoiler

I like that she saved herself.  Little girl took down two grown men by herself.

• Applause 2
4 hours ago, Haleth said:
  Reveal spoiler

I like that she saved herself.  Little girl took down two grown men by herself.

Yes, that was absolutely a "hell yeah" moment.  I was just so moved by the final seconds (and a major part of that was the acting-especially from Bella) that that scene is staying with me.  Like I said, she deserves nominations based on this episode alone.

• Like 3

Despite all the issues I had with the new season of You, Joe hallucinating some of his victims mocking him was oh so satisfying. Love coming back was great, but I was especially happy to see Beck: “Oh, did I hurt your feelings?! Well, I’m fucking DEAD, Joe!”

• Like 4
  • Applause 1

Caught one from a rerun of Last Man Standing:

In the episode, Mike's middle daughter Mandy is dating a boy named Terrance.  Naturally he hates everything Mike stands for.  First we get some Hell No moments earlier in the episode like insulting her parents in their own home and telling Mike how wrong he is to hunt innocent animals.  Then after a date with Mandy, he tricks her into taking him to Outdoor Man after hours where he vandalizes an antique stuffed bear (shot by Teddy Roosevelt).  Mike gets a clue about the boy's intentions and goes straight to Outdoor Man to look for him.  Eventually he catches him and the little weasel, who isn't sorry for the damage he had done or that he used Mandy to take an ideological poke at Mike.  

The Hell Yeah! moment is when Mike gives Terrance his punishment which certainly fits the crime!  He has him dressed like Teddy Roosevelt and has him tell a crowd a history lesson on his accomplishments (including his conservation efforts).  When he asks Mike how long he has to keep doing it, Mike tells him, "When the bear says you can leave."  When Terrance mentions that the bear doesn't talk, Mike responds, "Well there ya go!!".  

Loved that!  While Terrance was entitled to his beliefs, using Mandy and destroying private property was not cool.

• Like 5

Miranda getting ripped a new one by Steve for the shitty way she treated him and getting dumped by Che in the latest And Just Like That. Yes, Miranda is still playing the victim, but let’s just revel in the fact that (at the moment) she’s finally getting her comeuppance for blowing up her own life.

• Like 5
  • Applause 5

The White Shadow.  There was an episode where Abner Goldstein finally stands up for him against the rest of the team for treating him as a miscast.

I found that Abner character very real.  There's always one kid it seems or seemed for reasons to never really fit in for various reasons.  Or in his case his grandparents never really wanted to move from a changing neighborhood.  He reminded me of me a little 

• Like 2

The Simpsons: After Bart sabotages Lisa's summer friendships by exposing her as a nerd, Lisa finally puts the smug little turd in his place:

I just love the 100 percent done look in her eyes right before she grabs him. Oh, if Marge had just taken a few extra seconds before coming back into the room, it would have been magic.

• Applause 4

Ugly Betty: After years of putting up with Marc’s bullying, it was very satisfying for Betty to finally stand up for herself when he sabotages her assignment after she got the assistant editor promotion that he wanted: “We both deserved this job, but got it, so deal with it and act your age.”

I remember at the time people criticized that storyline because it was unrealistic that Betty got it over Marc because he spent years working for Wilhelmina and Mode and therefore did deserve it more? But you know what? Maybe not getting the job he felt entitled to was karma after all the insulting and racist crap Betty had to put up with from everyone at Mode—especially him. 

• Like 4
  • Useful 1

It took me 2 episodes into season 3 to start disliking Rory Gilmore (I don't hate her-not yet, anyway-because now she's still a hormonal teenager who lets her emotions guide her). Jess made a horrible 1st impression with the town in general and didn't treat Roey well in the beginning with the way he kept toying with her, but damn was I cheering when he told her off for being angry that he had a girlfriend. 

• Like 1
  • Useful 3
43 minutes ago, Shannon L. said:

It took me 2 episodes into season 3 to start disliking Rory Gilmore (I don't hate her-not yet, anyway-because now she's still a hormonal teenager who lets her emotions guide her). Jess made a horrible 1st impression with the town in general and didn't treat Roey well in the beginning with the way he kept toying with her, but damn was I cheering when he told her off for being angry that he had a girlfriend. 

Much as I detested Jess for his blatant tactics to make Rory jealous and rub his new girlfriend in her face, yes she absolutely deserved to be called out on when she was keeping Dean on the hook.

• Like 4

Recently, I've read and heard quite a few appeals to be kinder to each other, as a reaction to how shitty and intolerant people are getting. So, I have been reminded of this speech by the Doctor and how relevant it always is. The 12th Doctor era was one of the best when it comes to epic speeches and Peter Capaldi always delivered it.

• Like 3
  • Love 6

Chucky: After everything Tiffany has done to Nica—helping Chucky kill her family and possess her body, amputating her limbs, holding her hostage for a year—Nica had more than earned the right to cackle and gloat while Tiffany was found guilty for murder and sentenced to death (because she was dumb enough to kill a tour guide in Texas). Even more awesome was rubbing it on her face that she talks to GG every day and that they’re doing just great without Chucky and Tiffany in their life.

• Like 2

The Diana funeral episode of The Crown could’ve been so much better, but I did love Elizabeth and Philip’s response to Charles’s hypocrisy: “I’d rather not be lectured on how to grieve or show emotion.”

”Particularly by the person who caused (Diana) the most pain.”

BUUUUUURRRRRN!!!!

• Like 3

One of the recurring themes of the British comedy series  Last of the Summer Wine (1973-2010) was that of the scuffy little old rogue Compo Simmonite (Bill Owen) taunting and chasing after the much larger, frumpy and disinterested upstairs neighbor Nora Batty (Kathy Staff) who would beat him back with her broom while he'd try to get her goat. This went on from the time she was still married to her overwhelmed husband Wally (who oddly enough didn't mind Compo chasing after his wife since this distracted Nora from bossing him around)  through her widowhood until his own sudden death.

Yes, after the  performer Bill Owen (1914-1999) died, so did his character and, the next year in 2000, the show acknowledged it with a tribute episode mourning the character's passing. FWIW, via virtually all accounts, he was very much like his character offstage with the glaring exception of being a sharp dressed man offcamera who loathed the character's scruffy and ragged wardrobe to the point that he refused to wear it a moment more  than possible outside the de rigeur filming and publicity.

However, (here's the Hell Yes), Nora was the ONE voice of reason saying that Compo was an AWFUL and DESPICABLE person to her and his death didn't erase those facts- yet she WAS going to miss him! This had to be one of the healthiest expressions of grief I've ever seen depicted on a show- especially since it didn't fake that he'd been a saint or worthy person but that his intended victim somehow , somehow admitted that he'd be missed!

BTW, the performer Kathy Staff (1928-2008) herself had had serious misgivings about continuing to play Nora after her antagonist's death but came around -possibly in part due to Nora's realistic but still compassionate reaction to the passing.  FWIW, Mrs. Staff had been born Minnie Higginbottom but had changed her performing name to Kathy Staff  after her 1951 marriage to a Mr. Staff.

Edited by Blergh
  • Like 2
  • Useful 2

Been rewatching The Tudors and Maria Doyle Kennedy’s Katherine of Aragon had so many good hell yeah moments. First the divorce hearing, where she makes it clear that she knows it’s all bullshit and she’s not going to dignify it:

And then a later scene with Henry when she finally takes the gloves off and tells him to bring on all his experts about the so-called invalidity of their marriage saying, “For every scholar that votes for you, I could find a thousand that will vote for me.”

• Like 1
  • Applause 4

Sense8 -

Nomi’s father defends her at her sisters wedding.

the “Who am I?” Speech between multiple members of the cluster.

Wolfgang vs Lita (and their clusters)  

• Like 4
17 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

Been rewatching The Tudors and Maria Doyle Kennedy’s Katherine of Aragon had so many good hell yeah moments. First the divorce hearing, where she makes it clear that she knows it’s all bullshit and she’s not going to dignify it:

And then a later scene with Henry when she finally takes the gloves off and tells him to bring on all his experts about the so-called invalidity of their marriage saying, “For every scholar that votes for you, I could find a thousand that will vote for me.”

Catherine of Aragon was so awesome.

• Like 1
  • Applause 4
12 hours ago, Chaos Theory said:

Sense8 -

Nomi’s father defends her at her sisters wedding.

the “Who am I?” Speech between multiple members of the cluster.

Wolfgang vs Lita (and their clusters)  

And the reveal at the end of season two that Will is actually there in person. Not only that, the whole cluster is there.

• Like 3