Type keyword(s) to search

"Hell Yeah!" TV Moments

• Start Topic

From Cobra Kai season 3

Spoiler

The last just over 20 minutes of the season finale.  From the moment where Hawk decides to stop drinking Kreese's Kool Aid, and join up with his former friends.  He and Demetri mop the floor with some of Kreese's students, turning the brawl around.  Miguel kicks Kyler's ass again, and Sam beats Tory again.  Both Johnny and Daniel confront Kreese for sending his students after Miyagi Do and Eagle Fang, and both beat Kreese in a fight.  The only reason Kreese got the upper hand on Johnny was because Robby jumped in.  And the season ends with the Miyagi Do and Eagle Fang students all united about to be taught by Daniel and Johnny.

• Love 2

Came across this thread and the first "hell yeah" moment that comes to mind is from the original One Day at a Time.  Julie has run away with her boyfriend and when Ann tracks her down and begs her to come home Julie agrees but only if Ann concedes to a list of demands.  Ann looks around the seedy motel room her daughter is staying in and then says "Fine then Julie, don't come home."  I was a teenager when I saw this for the first time so you'd think I'd have been on Julie's side.  No way!  Still love Ann Romano for  drawing that line in the sand!

Edited by WinnieWinkle
  • Love 18
28 minutes ago, WinnieWinkle said:

Came across this thread and the first "hell yeah" moment that comes to mind is from the original One Day at a Time.  Julie has run away with her boyfriend and when Ann tracks her down and begs her to come home Julie agrees but only if Ann concedes to a list of demands.  Ann looks around the seedy motel room her daughter is staying in and then says "Fine then Julie, don't come home."  I was a teenager when I saw this for the first time so you'd think I'd have been on Julie's side.  No way!  Still love Ann Romano for  drawing that line in the sand!

Totally agree! I wasn't totally out of the ballpark re Julie's age at the time but even back then, I totally thought she was making ridiculous, entitled demands  having learned nothing from being stuck in that squalor with Chuck. Oh, and Chuck had all the personality of wallpaper paste so I didn't get why she'd have thought HE was worth jaunting away to .  ..wherever! His parents were blameshifting pills but at least they were  slightly interesting- unlike him! 

In any case, after ALL that Ann had gone through in finding out Julie had run away THEN tracking her down all on her OWN, she deserved FAR better appreciation and respect from Julie than that laundry list. So, YEAH, Ann have Julie her just desserts!

Spoiler

Thankfully, Julie realized (surprise!) that 'freedom' was fast becoming 'nothing left to lose' -especially with Chuck and was back home (living by Ann's rules) by the episode's close! 

• Love 5
On 1/4/2021 at 9:00 AM, WinnieWinkle said:

Julie has run away with her boyfriend and when Ann tracks her down and begs her to come home Julie agrees but only if Ann concedes to a list of demands.  Ann looks around the seedy motel room her daughter is staying in and then says "Fine then Julie, don't come home."  I was a teenager when I saw this for the first time so you'd think I'd have been on Julie's side.  No way!  Still love Ann Romano for  drawing that line in the sand!

I saw those episodes recently.  Julie had some nerve to make those demands!!  She wanted to be treated like an adult but she never acted like one!  Her mother was the one feeding and clothing her!  It's not like she or her boyfriend could do it on their own!  I loved it when Ann refused to take the bait!!  I don't recall the boyfriend ever being seen again on the show either.  I guess it wasn't "twu-wuv" after all!  

• Love 6
16 hours ago, Wiendish Fitch said:

I never actually watched the show, but from what I've read, Ann Romano from the original One Day at a Time sounds like one of the most awesome TV single moms ever (eat it, DJ Tanner, you worthless simp).

She actually was. Ann was run pretty ragged from having to work so much but she didn’t let it her teen daughters steamroll her.

• Love 12

The Queen’s Gambit: Beth telling off her adopted “father” (using the term loosely) after he shows up years after ditching her and her adopted mother, Alma, to try to screw her out of the house and tries to play the victim, saying  that he never wanted to be a father and how pathetic Alma was: “Alma wasn’t pathetic, she was stuck. You want pathetic? I’m looking right at it.”

• Love 7

"And that, Marjorie, just so you will know, and your children will someday know, is the night.  The lights.  Went out.  In Georgia."

The quintessential Julia Sugarbaker rant.

• Love 21

Bumping it up to add the scene from The Autobiography Of Miss Jane Pittman, which stars the late, great Miss Cicely Tyson in her Emmy-winning performance, when the 110-year-old Jane went to town sitting on a wooden chair on the back of a pickup truck, to keep a promise that her friend's son made about drinking water from the town's "Whites Only" water fountain.

When Miss Pittman first arrived at the town square, she needed some help to get off the truck, but she not only still managed to make it to the fountain all by herself, when she drank, nobody-especially the White Sheriff- tried (nor dared) to stop her. Afterwards, Miss Pittman just walked back to the pickup truck, got onboard and sat on her throne, like the Queen she was. That scene not only makes me cheer and cry happy tears every time, it's just one example of Miss Tyson's brilliance.

Rest In Peace, Miss Tyson. You were a star on many levels, onscreen and off.

• Love 17

It isn't a lie that I grew to hate Spike over the course of Buffy.  Like Castiel from Supernatural, he stayed on two seasons longer than he should have. Then he rubbed it in Robin Wood's face that his mother didn't love him an enough to not be a slayer, even though the a constant theme of the show is that no Slayer just gets to opt out. (Yes Robin was trying to stake him, but Spike did target his mother for the bragging points of killing a slayer). The other thing that pissed me off (and if you know me, I am no SJW), is that BtVS implied that Nikki was somehow weak and too focus on slaying, never acknowledging that she was an African American woman and single mother to a young child, and it seemed outside of her own Watcher, she had very little support. (judging by the poor living standard Faith had before she started working for the Mayor, Slayers don't get a stipend). I never faulted Buffy when she whined about the toil being a slayer was on her, and she is a middle class white girl with the support of her mother. So I had a bit more glee then I should have in the Angel episode "Damage" when a crazy vampire slayer named Dana, who was tortured by the man that killed her family, managed to kidnap Spike and cut off his hands. The best part is when she started channeling Nikki and the Chinese Slayer. Yes Spike, you might not have victimize Dana, but you were a killer. 

Edited by Ambrosefolly
  • Love 4
On 1/4/2021 at 12:37 PM, Blergh said:

Totally agree! I wasn't totally out of the ballpark re Julie's age at the time but even back then, I totally thought she was making ridiculous, entitled demands  having learned nothing from being stuck in that squalor with Chuck. Oh, and Chuck had all the personality of wallpaper paste so I didn't get why she'd have thought HE was worth jaunting away to .  ..wherever! His parents were blameshifting pills but at least they were  slightly interesting- unlike him! 

In any case, after ALL that Ann had gone through in finding out Julie had run away THEN tracking her down all on her OWN, she deserved FAR better appreciation and respect from Julie than that laundry list. So, YEAH, Ann have Julie her just desserts!

Hide contents

Thankfully, Julie realized (surprise!) that 'freedom' was fast becoming 'nothing left to lose' -especially with Chuck and was back home (living by Ann's rules) by the episode's close! 

Different Strokes did something very similar when Willis stormed out to live with a friend of his. Even though he was angry and worried about him, Mr. Drummond dug his heels in and REFUSED to go after him, knowing that Willis was going to have to learn the hard way that he wasn't an adult who could take care of himself. Sure enough, he quickly became disillusioned with his friend's drunken and irresponsible behavior and finally came home on his own.

• Love 6

Missy Cooper on Young Sheldon, being the only girl in her little league, charging the mound after an opposing pitcher threw at her twice.  Then she proceeded to kick his ass.  The look of "Oh shit" on the pitcher's face when she started running towards him was priceless.  I cheered.  

• Love 10
(edited)

So many moments from the Falcon and the Winter Soldier finale were "Hell, Yeah!"-worthy, whether it's Sam's new costume (new and improved Redwing included!), Bucky's redemption, Isiah Bradley's validation or Sam's putting the diplomats on blast. Even John Walker impressed me and I never thought I'd say that.

Even the name change at the end was cheer-worthy. Looking forward to the next Captain America movie, this time with the new Captain America, who has not only earned it (without super serum), he deserves it, on every level.

Edited by DollEyes
  • Love 7

Agreed on all the great Falcon and Winter Soldier moments.  Not exactly a 'Hell Yeah' but more and a cute 'awww' moment, I just loved the entire final scene of everybody at Sam's family's boat.  The music (I looked it up On and On by Curtis Harding), the way the scene was shot, everybody having fun, the kids hanging off Bucky's arm while he was just casually having a conversation. Great moment.

ETA:  Of course someone screecapped it!

bucky.jpg

Edited by DearEvette
  • Love 8
(edited)

In the docu-series Night Stalker on Netflix, one of the interviewees, who crossed paths with serial killer Richard Ramirez, had this to say about the groupies who sent Ramirez nude photos:

"Well, I'm sorry, but those are the dumbest bitches ever."

giphy.gif

Edited by Wiendish Fitch
  • Love 18

Doctor Who: The whole sequence of The Doctor breaking the wall to get to the Tardis in Season 9: Heaven Sent. Amazingly acted, shot and scored.

Another Hell Yeah! moment was in Season 6: The Wedding of River Song. I wasn't much of a fan of Amy or her story, but I have to give her this one: "The Doctor is very precious to me, you're right. But you know what else he is, Madame Kovarian? Not. Here."

• Love 4

I was just watching the Union Station episode of ER, aka, the one where Susan Lewis leaves the first time.  I don't think it mattered that much to me then, but in hindsight I love that they gave her so much agency for her departure.  It's kind of cliched in that her will they/wont they guy runs off to the train station to see her off and professes his love for her on the platform.  But even as Mark is begging her to stay she never waivers with her decision.  She knows what she wants and has the conviction to do it.  I do believe her when she says she does love him too, but the pull she experiences to move away and be with her family is stronger than any pull she may feel to stay and try a relationship with him.  I've said this before about other moments I've noticed during my recent ER rewatch, but it feels strangely modern and progressive.  Especially given that this episode is now 25 years old.  I feel like a lesser moment would be if she was really conflicted or the characters couldn't be together for reasons. 

• Love 10

I never felt even a whiff of real romantic attraction from Susan towards Mark, and thought his attraction to her was almost entirely a residual effect of being freshly divorced after marrying and procreating young, so I loved that Susan did, indeed, get on the damn train.  (And she was so mishandled upon her return, I wish Susan had stayed gone, but good on Sherry Stringfield cashing those checks.)

And I agree with the broader point - whatever one interprets her feelings towards Mark to be and potentially become, Susan ranked that several rungs down her priority list.  She'd evaluated, and the life she wanted was best found in Phoenix, not Chicago, so that's where she was going, with his "romantic" gesture having no effect on that decision.

• Love 9
(edited)

My reigning “Hell Yeah!!” moment has reigned for some time.

Star Trek Deep Space 9 season 7, Damar absolutely sticking it to the Dominion and making it personal at the same time with Weyoun. 

The best “Hell, yeah!” I have ever experienced on TV.

Edited by katie9918
  • Love 5

If the premiere of the latest Disney +  Marvel series What If....? is any indication, then it's gonna be one "Hell, Yeah!" moment after another, especially because of the main  character in this episode: Captain Carter, as in Peggy Carter. 

Basically, the plot of this episode seemed like a gender-swapped version of Captain America: the First Avenger, but it was done in a fresh, new way, because of the animation, the writing and most of the original actors doing the voices. 

What makes this episode work so well was seeing Peggy being her own woman, before and after she took the super serum, with and without Steve Rogers. What makes Peggy and Steve's relationship work in this episode is that they accept each other for who they are, not how they look. Peggy's kicking Nazi asses whether or not she's riding shotgun on Iron Steve doesn't hurt. As for a live-action version of Captain Carter, my vote: "Hell, yeah!"

On 6/26/2021 at 10:05 PM, kiddo82 said:

I was just watching the Union Station episode of ER, aka, the one where Susan Lewis leaves the first time.  I don't think it mattered that much to me then, but in hindsight I love that they gave her so much agency for her departure.  It's kind of cliched in that her will they/wont they guy runs off to the train station to see her off and professes his love for her on the platform.  But even as Mark is begging her to stay she never waivers with her decision.  She knows what she wants and has the conviction to do it.  I do believe her when she says she does love him too, but the pull she experiences to move away and be with her family is stronger than any pull she may feel to stay and try a relationship with him.  I've said this before about other moments I've noticed during my recent ER rewatch, but it feels strangely modern and progressive.  Especially given that this episode is now 25 years old.  I feel like a lesser moment would be if she was really conflicted or the characters couldn't be together for reasons. 

I agree. It's a shame that Mark had to get his heart broken yet again, but it was refreshing to see Reality Ensue--waiting until literally the last minute before someone leaves town to tell someone that you love them does NOT get you the girl/guy.

• Love 8
4 hours ago, Luckylyn said:

Gary on Parks and Rec becoming mayor after years of his coworkers treating him terribly.

The main thing I hated about Parks and Rec was how everyone treated Gerry. I know it was a running joke, it just wasn't one I cared for. Felt too close to bullying, that all the others would pile onto one guy and thought it was fun and funny. That always left a bad taste in my mouth. I don't care if he was married to a stunning Christy Brinkley (that woman does not age!) and had a happy home life. It didn't make their treatment any better. 

So yeah, that was such a great, triumphant moment. I love Gary/Gerry Gergich!

• Love 7

What If…: After weeks of the Watcher subjecting us to dark and bleak alternate universes, it was pretty satisfying to have 

Spoiler

Vision Ultron break the fourth wall of the multiverses and drag Watcher’s ass, physically and literally for doing nothing except watch the world destroy themselves, which finally got him to get off his high horse and go groveling to Strange Supreme for help.

• Love 2
On 1/6/2021 at 4:19 PM, Wiendish Fitch said:

I never actually watched the show, but from what I've read, Ann Romano from the original One Day at a Time sounds like one of the most awesome TV single moms ever.

I adored this character growing up, one of the original bad asses, next to my mother who raised three kids in the rough North Philadelphia projects.

• Useful 1
  • Love 8

Okay, this isn’t so much a HY moment as it is a “yes, thank you, God!” moment, but as someone who is so fed up with villain apologia, I was never so happy for the flashbacks in Chucky to show that there was no tortured backstory to explain why Chucky/Charles Lee Ray was a psychopath. No convoluted excuses, no unhappy childhood, no rhyme or reason. He was just an evil asshole all his life. Kudos to Don Mancini for for letting the killer doll just be a villain! 

• Useful 2
  • Love 8
16 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

Okay, this isn’t so much a HY moment as it is a “yes, thank you, God!” moment, but as someone who is so fed up with villain apologia, I was never so happy for the flashbacks in Chucky to show that there was no tortured backstory to explain why Chucky/Charles Lee Ray was a psychopath. No convoluted excuses, no unhappy childhood, no rhyme or reason. He was just an evil asshole all his life. Kudos to Don Mancini for for letting the killer doll just be a villain! 

I've not watched the show, but as someone who usually ends up rooting for the villain, I actually really appreciate this too. I get so tired of bad childhoods and Freudian excuses for villains as a lazy bid to make them sympathetic. (And actually heroes, too, to be honest.)

Edited by Zella
  • Love 9
1 hour ago, Zella said:

I've not watched the show, but as someone who usually ends up rooting for the villain, I actually really appreciate this too. I get so tired of bad childhoods and Freudian excuses for villains as a lazy bid to make them sympathetic. (And actually heroes, too, to be honest.)

Exactly!

Let assholes be assholes, let good people be good people! Not everyone needs a damn tragic backstory!

• Love 11
6 minutes ago, Wiendish Fitch said:

Exactly!

Let assholes be assholes, let good people be good people! Not everyone needs a damn tragic backstory!

Yes! I love a villain who just unapologetically embraces their inner asshole and enjoys it. Being the bad guy is usually pretty fab until the end, if you think about it. They get the best lines and usually have really cool villainous trinkets and better clothes. Enjoy yourself, stylish villain, while you can! 

Also, to me, the most effective villains are the ones who think they're the hero of the story. You don't need a tragic backstory for that to work, though it can be part of what informs their perspective. You just need good writing and acting. 

Edited by Zella
  • Love 13

There’s an episode of Scrubs where Jordan does something mean and then claims she had a terrible childhood as an excuse.  Then she admits she had a great childhood and she genuinely doesn’t know why she’s so mean.  I was amused by that.

My favorite villain origin story ever is Debbie from Adams Family Values 

Spoiler

Her parents gave her Malibu Barbie instead of Ballerina Barbie for Christmas when she was a child and so she became a murderer.

Sometimes there’s no reason for evil.  Sometimes people are just awful human beings.

• Love 16
34 minutes ago, Luckylyn said:

My favorite villain origin story ever is Debbie from Adams Family Values 

Debbie was completely justified in turning evil. What kind of parents do that to their child!???!?! 

I like a GOOD origin story as in, well written, well thought out, but I loathe bad ones that are just there to garner sympathy for the devil. A good origin story should help you to understand how someone became what they are while not letting them off the hook for their terribleness. But not every villain needs one. 

The Hell-Yeahiest show for me is Leverage. I mean, just about every end of episode take down is a total Hell Yeah moment for me. Sophie's entire speech in The Harry Wilson Job was one long Hell Yeah moment. 

• Love 13
On 10/27/2021 at 7:53 PM, Spartan Girl said:

Well it usually doesn't track with the real world, but this is a comedy. So Debbie and Chucky are mentally damaged the same way.  They also did with Alma from the past season of American Horror Story. Her dad was an asshole and a bad parent, but he was very attentive and loving to her and her mother was wonderful and both gave her a secure and comfortable life. None of that stopped her from being narcissistic and a psychopath and ended up discarding both of them when they were no longer useful to her. 

Edited by Ambrosefolly
  • Love 2

My favorite villain origin story was Olivia on 12 Monkeys. She was created as a eugenics experiment and grew up in a box, brainwashed by a psychotic cult. You totally understood why that upbringing made her want to destroy the world but they still didn’t make it so the audience felt sympathy for her — she was heinous and evil and they owned it. I loved to hate Olivia, she was great.

• Love 5

Getting back to topic, an actual HY moment from Chucky was in the pilot, where Chucky used a ventriloquist dummy act to help Jake humiliate mean girl Lexy at the talent show by reading the contents of her phone on stage. 

Edited by Spartan Girl
  • Love 3

For once, instead of a "Hell No!" moment from The Millionaire, I have one for this forum:

In  "The Hugh Waring Story" (1957), the titular millionaire receives his check while in prison.  On death row!  With just days before he's scheduled to die for murdering his wife!!  

We see in flashback that he had a rocky marriage and asked her for a divorce (keep in mind no fault divorce was not a thing yet and unless one of the parties made a 6 week long trip to Nevada, it likely wouldn't be granted without agreement from both parties).  The wife refuses.

She apparently vanishes without a trace and the couples' maid finds her packed suitcase in a closet and thinks it odd she didn't take it with her.  Due to a series of circumstances only Perry Mason could have cleared, Waring is convicted of murder despite no body having been found.  He's insisting he never laid a hand on her and insists she must still be alive but in hiding. Naturally no one believes him and his fate seems sealed.

Mike Anthony after giving the check over, finds the whole thing strange and decides to read the police reports and court transcripts.  He believes Waring's story and tells his boss (the billionaire who makes these million dollar gifts possible) about it.  He tells him he can give him the time needed to save Warings' life and clear him.  He speaks to the governor about delaying the execution.  Later, we see newspaper headlines about the execution having been completed and the million dollars Waring had were to go to a charity since no other family was found.  Suddenly the wife turns up in [crocodile] tears.  She tells everyone she wasn't harmed, just in hiding in a cabin in the middle of nowhere and couldn't be reached.  She didn't want her husband to die but she'd be happy to claim the million for herself.

Then while talking, Hugh walks up behind her and tells her the jig is up!!  The newspaper story was a plant to lure her out and prove once and for all that he did not murder her and she in fact confess she's set him up to look like he had!!  She gets lead away and Waring gets to enjoy his money and freedom!!  

• Love 1

In the 1992 Highlander Series:

When Amanda (always using Duncan as a mark or to try and get out of trouble), tries (and has me 🙄  because it would never happen and didn't) to get Duncan to leave Tessa with this:

Amanda: "She'll grow old."

Duncan: "I don't CARE."

Me: Oh SNAP! Because in all the centuries, Tessa was the only one Duncan trusted with the secret of his immortality *.

*Up until season two, I think. My mind is blanking and I can't remember if he ever told that human doctor, whose name I'm blanking on, that he got involved with for a short time.

• Love 4

Oh, Duncan was a willing mark. He knew all about Amanda. 

The doctor was Anne. He eventually told her, but she broke up with him because she couldn't deal with the violence. She ended up hooking up with an ex fwb and got pregnant. There was some train accident where they were trapped and Duncan delivered the baby. She named it after his mom. 

The flashback was to the blitz in England, where they also got trapped, but his reporter gf died because they ran out of air. 

• Love 1