Type keyword(s) to search

NFL Thread

• Start Topic

I've been cheering for Cleveland all season and I can't quite believe how well they're doing. I'm listening to the game and not seeing what's happening, it feels like the Pittsburgh players are sitting around in the field, picking flowers and pulling off the petals (like the little girls on my elementary school softball team used to do when in the outfield). 

Anyhow I better not say any more or else I'll jinx the Browns. 

Edited by Lamb18
  • LOL 3
36 minutes ago, mojoween said:

Also I’m pretty sure today is the 34th anniversary of The Drive.

That is tomorrow. 

Hopefully, the Browns won't do what the Falcons do in these situations. Choke it away. Its been forever since they won a playoff game (1994) & it needs to end tonight.

• Useful 1
2 hours ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

Quite a contrast in the nfc and afc QBs

NFC : brady, brees, rodgers and then goff.  43, 42, 37 and goff

AFC :. Allen, mahonmes, Jackson and roethlisberger/ mayfield. 24, 25, 23, 25 and roethlisberger. 

I was thinking the same thing earlier.  If the Browns hold on, it's the younger QBs in the AFC vs the not-so-young QBs in the NFC (except Goff, but he's an outlier anyway.

Wasn't sure who I wanted to win this game until I saw Roethlisberger's face after one of his interceptions and found myself laughing at him.  So, of course, they are coming back...

• Love 1

Glad the browns won but can't see them winning next week.  

For all the 'reich should have kicked the FG' conservative people, vrabel and tomlin kicked on 4th down and short at 40 and 50 yard line and it cost them the games.  Reich would not have hesitated going on 4th down.  It's why I like him, pays off more often than it doesn't.  

Pitt may have still lost but they had all the second half momentum and down two scores at midfield, driving for a one score game.  Kick it away and......that was it never close, lost all momentum. 

7 hours ago, AimingforYoko said:

That means Cleveland wins, so I don't think you have to worry about that.

Looks like its time to be worried.

As someone who was not only around for The Drive, but was actually sitting there in the original Factory of Sadness to witness it in person; this is literally the best Cleveland Browns moment I have had since the double overtime against the Jets the week before The Drive.

I musn't be the only one who feels that way, people shooting off fireworks all over the place in my neighborhood.

Edited by doodlebug
  • LOL 3
  • Love 5

Good for Cleveland, But Pittsburgh gave that game away. You turn the ball over five times, you deserve to lose.

I think the feel-good stories end in the AFC next week and we get the AFC title game we should've gotten last year: Ravens-Chiefs.

• Love 3

Son #3 was in the study working on AP calculus homework during the first half.  He joined us 3rd quarter until Steelers started coming back and we kicked him out.  He finished tomorrow’s calculus homework instead.  Just in case you wondered if higher level math is really necessary.  (About that late Steeler touchdown, he had finished and wandered back into the living room. He apologized and ran out until victory formation.)

Way to go, Browns!  And we were happy to do our part.

• LOL 8
  • Love 2

Umm what?   The Browns WON?????

No head coach, key players out, no real practices all week, routine all off.   And they WON?????

The Steelers looked bad.  I hope this pitiful performance kills the "rest your players in the last week" for once and for all.   Part of the reason they looked so bad is they were out of sync.     Yes the Browns hadn't practiced, but they had virtual meetings, etc.   The Steelers just ... fell apart.   I don't want to hear "but what if a key player gets hurt, then you don't have them for the playoffs."   You don't HAVE playoffs if you are so rusty even the junkman won't haul you away.   

Steelers also clearly need a new OC.   Those interceptions (with the exception of the opening play fumble) were because the Browns players knew EXACTLY where to be.   that only happens if your offensive play calling is incredibly predictable (ask me how I know, I dare you).   

• Love 6

Wow, just wow!  

As a Cleveland fan who’s survived The Drive, The Fumble, the 0-16, The Shot, the Blown Save, the 2016 WS, you can have no idea, how much this means to us.

I was just happy making the Playoffs, but to win against our biggest rival, at their home, and winning a playoff game since January 1995, I’m ecstatic!  Of course, we have no chance next week, but who cares tonight!!!!!

PS Go Buckeyes!

• Love 8
7 hours ago, merylinkid said:

Steelers also clearly need a new OC

The good news is that their OC's contract is up (this season he was in his final year).  Otherwise, one would be better off jumping off of a building or bridge if they wanted the OC gone.  Similar thing happened with Keith Butler, their DC.  The thing is he survived while under contract, and then turned it around defensively (in 2019), so he should be okay.

The NFL hasn't cancelled next weeks Chiefs/Browns game.   The league didn't cancel Superbowl 42 or Super Bowl III.  Fortunately those guys within the Cleveland locker room will proceed through this week and into Sunday with the mentality that they have much more than a chance against Kansas City

8 hours ago, AimingforYoko said:

I think the feel-good stories end in the AFC next week and we get the AFC title game we should've gotten last year: Ravens-Chiefs.

The feel good story of the playoffs has already happened - Mitch Trubisky was named NVP (Nickelodeon Valuable Player) thanks to an online vote that certainly wasn't driven by a bunch of trolls.  I'm not sure what would have happened if one of those kid sideline reporters had actually tried to hand it to him on live TV.

• LOL 5
  • Love 2

If you're correct and the "feel good" stories do end, then we'll see the Buccaneers face the winner of Green Bay and L.A.

Opening Lines
Los Angeles at Green Bay (-7)
Baltimore at Buffalo (-3)
Cleveland at Kansas City (-10!)
Tampa Bay at New Orleans (-3)

Some places have Bills favored 2.5 over Baltimore, but really, if those teams were swapped, then that would be accurate too.  Kansas City as a double-digit favorite is way too much.  If the Saints were favored by 10 over the Bucs, I could buy that.  The defending champion stuff is a little overrated.  The best QB may be on the field but he's not this year's best QB.  IMO, the Packers favored by 7 over the Rams is correct.

My early picks for next weekend have me going with Packers, Ravens, Browns, and Saints.  The New Orleans/Tampa game is the toughest of the four to figure out.  Maybe I'll flip to the Bucs; I usually don't change my picks, but I don't usually pick this early either

8 hours ago, roamyn said:

I was just happy making the Playoffs, but to win against our biggest rival, at their home, and winning a playoff game since January 1995, I’m ecstatic!  Of course, we have no chance next week, but who cares tonight!!!!!

You never know. Maybe they might get their butts kicked by the Chiefs. But, I'll give the Browns a slim punchers chance against the Chiefs. 

At least, the Browns are very easy to root for, unlike Tom Brady & Antonio Brown. I do not want Antonio Brown anywhere near the Super Bowl. 2 weeks of hearing his redemption story will be vomit-inducing.

• Love 5
26 minutes ago, Magog said:

At least, the Browns are very easy to root for, unlike Tom Brady & Antonio Brown. I do not want Antonio Brown anywhere near the Super Bowl. 2 weeks of hearing his redemption story will be vomit-inducing.

You might have to flip a coin if Tampa "hosts" Kansas City in this year's Super Bowl

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Carey said:

The good news is that their OC's contract is up (this season he was in his final year).  Otherwise, one would be better off jumping off of a building or bridge if they wanted the OC gone.  Similar thing happened with Keith Butler, their DC.  The thing is he survived while under contract, and then turned it around defensively (in 2019), so he should be okay.

The NFL hasn't cancelled next weeks Chiefs/Browns game.   The league didn't cancel Superbowl 42 or Super Bowl III.  Fortunately those guys within the Cleveland locker room will proceed through this week and into Sunday with the mentality that they have much more than a chance against Kansas City

Baker might even get to find out if Blake has a last name!  The city is high as a kite today and for the best reasons.

2 hours ago, cambridgeguy said:

The feel good story of the playoffs has already happened - Mitch Trubisky was named NVP (Nickelodeon Valuable Player) thanks to an online vote that certainly wasn't driven by a bunch of trolls.  I'm not sure what would have happened if one of those kid sideline reporters had actually tried to hand it to him on live TV.

Mitch Trubisky is from NE Ohio, BTW.  I attended the same high school he did, just 40 years apart or so.  It appears we're on a roll up here.

10 hours ago, AimingforYoko said:

Good for Cleveland, But Pittsburgh gave that game away. You turn the ball over five times, you deserve to lose.

Pittsburgh might've given the game away, but, for way too many years, the old Browns would've given it right back to them.  You have no idea how great it is to see the Browns not only force a turnover, but actually capitalize on it and score points.  And, also, not turn the ball right back over to the other team.  I spent way too many years watching that kind of play to think that the turnovers were all on Pittsburgh.

• Love 1

11 hours ago, merylinkid said:

Umm what?   The Browns WON?????

No head coach, key players out, no real practices all week, routine all off.   And they WON?????

The Steelers looked bad.  I hope this pitiful performance kills the "rest your players in the last week" for once and for all.   Part of the reason they looked so bad is they were out of sync.     Yes the Browns hadn't practiced, but they had virtual meetings, etc.   The Steelers just ... fell apart.   I don't want to hear "but what if a key player gets hurt, then you don't have them for the playoffs."   You don't HAVE playoffs if you are so rusty even the junkman won't haul you away.   

Steelers also clearly need a new OC.   Those interceptions (with the exception of the opening play fumble) were because the Browns players knew EXACTLY where to be.   that only happens if your offensive play calling is incredibly predictable (ask me how I know, I dare you).   

OK, how do you know? (I dare you!)🙂

10 hours ago, doodlebug said:

image.png.b64e4591dab8b3eebd9d7c5146c175e1.png

ben.jpg

Maybe these croissants were pulled from the turning machine that was  heating croissants in the Baker Mayfield Thanksgiving commercial.

• LOL 4
  • Love 1
11 hours ago, merylinkid said:

The Steelers looked bad. 

I don't have any skin in this game. I have friends and relatives who are Steelers fans. When their team wins, I am happy for them.

So with that disclaimer, I will offer this.

I saw the Steelers week 1 beat the Giants. They looked great. Ferocious defense, efficient offense. I was not shocked they won their first ten games.  The next time I saw them was that AWFUL Wednesday afternoon game against the COVID stricken Ravens. They should have won that game by three touchdowns, but instead they just outlasted the Ravens. The general media take on the game was that the Steelers were just off their game from all the waiting.

But after that, the Steelers were on national TV a couple more times while they finished the season 1-5 including that loss yesterday. Let's be fair, since that Ravens game, the Steelers have been one of the worst teams in football. The freaking Jets won more games than they did.

And it makes sense:

• They struggled to make up for multiple injuries to star players
  • They started to get some seriously shaky play from the offensive line
  • The quarterback play wasn't great
  • Which to be fair, was partially a result of the OL and many, many drops from his WRs and TE

In other words like I've been saying, I think the Steelers became an honorary member of the NFC East. And not like the Redskins, more like the Cowboys, where you can see the star players on the field, but they keep losing anyway.

The AFC playoffs are super interesting right now. The Chiefs have been letting everybody hang around in games with them. Let's see if the Browns coaching staff can come up with a plan to get the lead on the Chiefs and then hopefully for them make a play on Defense at the end.  And Bills - Ravens? Grab some popcorn.

• Love 4

I could be wrong, and I’ll eat my words if so, but I feel like the layoff is going to hurt the Chiefs way more than it will hurt the Packers (even with the loss of Bakhtiari).

Not saying the Browns will win, but would not be surprised if it’s a tight game start to finish.

12 hours ago, doodlebug said:

this is literally the best Cleveland Browns moment I have had since the double overtime against the Jets the week before The Drive.

Jeez, thanks for the reminder. Jets completely blew that game.😡

Edited by Kip Hackman
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, JTMacc99 said:

But after that, the Steelers were on national TV a couple more times while they finished the season 1-5 including that loss yesterday. Let's be fair, since that Ravens game, the Steelers have been one of the worst teams in football. The freaking Jets won more games than they did.

Yeah.  I agree. I do think the dominance by the Browns was a bit surprising given all the challenges Cleveland was facing but the Steelers were trending in the wrong direction heading into the playoffs.

15 hours ago, merylinkid said:

I hope this pitiful performance kills the "rest your players in the last week" for once and for all. 

I think resting your players and then having a bye week is dangerous but I don't really see a difference between resting players and having a bye week.  And a lot of teams came out of the no-preseason games gate this year looking decent from week 1.  I think a simpler explanation is that the Steelers did not look good coming down the stretch and that just carried over into the game. 

Interesting.  After hearing that Doug Pederson was going to stay on the morning he tanked, he was fired today.  I doubt the playcalling was the reason otherwise, he would have been let go the next morning. 

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/30693391/philadelphia-eagles-change-course-fire-head-coach-doug-pederson-source-says

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Irlandesa said:

After hearing that Doug Pederson was going to stay on the morning he tanked, he was fired today.  I doubt the playcalling was the reason otherwise, he would have been let go the next morning.

I suspect the decision to tank the last game wasn't his alone, but when they got such flak over the move, the team needed to make amends, and he was an easy target.

• Love 2

I usually don't link to other stuff unless it's imperative (i.e. crediting a source of info from Schefty, Glazer, Florio, and the Rap Sheet).

If you ever wanted to truly feel the pain of a fanbase after a massive, humiliating fall, here you go!

Obviously (sorry about that pun) it's not a great feeling in Western Pennsylvania, and there are about one or two truly pissed off people.  I haven't heard of anyone ending it and jumping off of a bridge into the three rivers.  However, for the most part if not the slight majority, the feeling isn't that bad.  From what I've seen, several people had an "Oh Well" feeling.  Nothing like in the past more often than not.  Not much shock (and anger); just the fact that the Steelers did this to themselves.  Pittsburgh has a history of blowing it, especially under Mike Tomlin.  The track record of losing games of significance is extreme.  At the end of the day, the result was accepted as people had to get the week started.  IMO, part of the reason for the lack of mourning is because the Steelers were never going to beat any of the other teams left in the postseason.  They had no shot against Kansas City (and Green Bay, Tampa & New Orleans from the NFC) and they weren't going to get by Buffalo anyway.  Never say never, but even if the Steelers had shown up, it was a tall task going forward.

Doug Peterson had to go, but he is the victim of misfortune.  He went from winning a Super Bowl, to winning a playoff game the next year, to winning the division the year after that, and then to this year.  When you lose a locker room, there's nothing you can do about it.  However, several of those Eagles players need to get tossed out in addition to Peterson

• Love 1

Chiming in slightly late but, if that's the last game that Ben Roethlisberger ever plays it couldn't happen to a nicer fellow. Can't stand him or Pouncey (who defended Aaron Hernandez long after it was clear he was a monster) or the diva receivers that the Steelers seem to produce on a regular basis. Tomlin might be a good coach, but his methods clearly serve to enable unprofessional personalities. We heard everyone in sports media talking about their amazing, undefeated season but it was always clear that they were playing bad teams and that the wheels would fall off at some point. Limping into the playoffs like Ben when he's trying to make everyone believe he's playing hurt was never going to end well.

Don't get me wrong, I like seeing the Browns as buttmonkeys that everyone can laugh at - it's one of the finest traditions in the NFL - but anyone beating up on the Steelers is fun to watch.

I have few illusions that the Ravens can go all the way (though I felt that in 2012 as well) but I'm just pleased they beat the Titans - so people can't try to build a narrative about Lamar choking in the playoffs any more and because the Titans were dicks in the playoff game last season as well as in the regular season game a few weeks ago.

I think Buffalo might go all the way this year - they look like the most complete team in football and I think they can beat the Chiefs. I don't think any NFC team is a good bet right now, though I wouldn't mind Rodgers getting a second ring.

Edited by Danny Franks
  • Love 4
2 hours ago, Danny Franks said:

Don't get me wrong, I like seeing the Browns as buttmonkeys that everyone can laugh at - it's one of the finest traditions in the NFL

There is nothing funny or amusing about the Browns being buttmonkeys (even though them going 0-16 made me happy). The buttmonkeys moniker will always belong to the Cowboys. At least, the Cowboys deserve to be buttmonkeys.

• LOL 3

I would love the Bills to go all the way but after decades of disappointment and misery, I’m just happy they are in the playoffs and it’s gravy from here. I don’t think Allen and Co. can keep up with Mahomes, but they have to get through a pissed off Ravens team first which is no easy feat. At least I won’t be too disappointed if the Bills lose since I was born in Baltimore. 

I can see why the Eagles fired Pederson, but figure he would have a few years left since he won a freaking SB a few years ago. 

Edited by twoods
  • Love 2
8 hours ago, mojoween said:

I wonder how many current players went to Alabama compared to all other schools.  I wouldn’t even know where to start that research.

Google. Always start with Google.

Alabama 53

Ohio State 48

LSU 41

Florida 36

Michigan 33

Georgia 32

Penn State 32

Miami (Fla.) 31

Notre Dame 31

Oklahoma 31

Florida State 30