Type keyword(s) to search

NFL Thread

• Start Topic

2 minutes ago, Magog said:

Gee, thanks for nothing Saints. Gave that game away with the 3 turnovers.

How could anybody be happy for Tom Brady, Antonio Brown, & the rest of the Buccaneers? 

Now, we're going to have to suffer through yet another edition of Brady vs Rodgers next week. I wish there was a way possible that neither one of them wins next week. Just thinking about that is making me sick. I can't find anything positive about that.

This whole stupid GOAT debate crap that is prevalent right now started with Brady vs Rodgers.

No it started with brady and manning

Though I'd take rodgers myself out of the 3 of them. And manning is my favorite player ever.  

I can't see tb beating green bay though.  Rodgers is not throwing 3 Ints and under 150 yards.  

8 minutes ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

Jesus christ......brees making right decision to retire.  

3 pucks throw over 30 times and don't even break 200 yards yet

As  a Packers fan, when I thought about who I'd prefer the team face, it was always the Saints in my mind.  If he was bad here (and he was), I think he would've been worse in the elements.  And they beat the Saints earlier this year but lost to TB.

1 minute ago, Calvada said:

Brady has a lot of experience playing in cold, snowy weather.  

He does. So I don't think "cold" (as I don't think it's supposed to be that much colder than it was this week) will be an issue.  But if it snows, it's not the QBs who have the hardest time adjusting to the show-it's wide receivers and running backs. What I don't know is what previous experience in the snow, if it snows, would mean for the players as I'd imagine fields can be different.

4 minutes ago, emmawoodhouse said:

I know, but he's not the only guy on the team. 😊

Tyler Johnson and Antoine Winfield Jr are used to cold and snow playing in TCF Bank stadium for the University of Minnesota. I am mildly pleased that Tampa Bay won, mainly because I wanted New Orleans to lose and for the two U of MN guys to do well. The NFC contest isn't that interesting. Now if The Football Team had won its game . . . 

I'll be cheering for the Bills next weekend!

33 minutes ago, AimingforYoko said:

As I said earlier in this thread, Bills fans: Nuts, but good-hearted.

Bills Mafia donates to Lamar Jackson's charity.

Yesterday I was surprised to see pre-game footage showing a tailgate table jump. It's a signature Bills Mafia move, but the team has been trying to discourage that particular activity. 

I went to a game there once and saw an ambulance threading its way through the parking lot. Latter on, I found out why on twitter. A guy had jumped off his car onto a table. The table collapsed, and when his feet hit the ground, his lower leg bent forward. The wrong way. Gruesome.

3 minutes ago, merylinkid said:

Oh god, I just realized all next week will be "Will Tom Brady be the FIRST QB to play a Super Bowl in his home stadium?"

While it would be typical that it had to be Brady to take his new team to host the Super Bowl in their home stadium, it figures that it occurred during the pandemic.  Moreover, Tom just got there.  Any other year it's nice, and this time a year ago, I saw Super Bowl 55 as yet another Big Game where it wouldn't happen

Just now, AimingforYoko said:

This Vikings fan cannot go that far. I have to live with these people and if Rodgers gets another one they're gonna be unbearably smug.

Agreed! There is a line Vikings fans cannot cross.  Except that my dad likes GB. I was appalled until I remembered the Vikings didn't exist until my dad was in his mid-thirties, so he had to cheer for someone because he really likes football.

22 minutes ago, AimingforYoko said:

I would give Tampa a good chance for the upset...except they waxed Green Bay 38-10 in Week six, so the Packers will not have a let down.

Rodgers and the offense had a terrible game against the Bucs - 16 of 35 for 160 yards, 2 interceptions, and was sacked 4 times.   I think the entire team will be determined to perform better, but especially Rodgers.  

Edited by Calvada
  • Love 1
4 minutes ago, Lamb18 said:

Except that my dad likes GB. I was appalled until I remembered the Vikings didn't exist until my dad was in his mid-thirties, so he had to cheer for someone because he really likes football.

That's why there are so many Giants fans in Southern New England.  People forget that for decades, the only NFL team in the area was the New York Giants.  Patriots, Jets, Bills all came with the AFL, and for ten years, weren't part of the league until the merger. 

• Useful 1
18 minutes ago, AimingforYoko said:

I would give Tampa a good chance for the upset...except they waxed Green Bay 38-10 in Week six, so the Packers will not have a let down.

IIRC, Davante Adams was not there

18 minutes ago, merylinkid said:

Oh god, I just realized all next week will be "Will Tom Brady be the FIRST QB to play a Super Bowl in his home stadium?"

Yep.  Just had that thought too.  That there will be fewer fans (I think?) is the only positive.

7 minutes ago, AimingforYoko said:

What state is Tampa in?

FL but the NFL will make the rules about attendance not FL or TB ownership unless the state passes tighter ordinances about capacity than the NFL itself would consider. I don't think any of us expect that to happen so it'll be the NFL's choice.  It won't be empty but I don't see full capacity.

Edited by Irlandesa
8 minutes ago, Carey said:

IIRC, Davante Adams was not there

Adams played - caught 6 for 61 yards.  I believe it was his first game back after missing a couple due to a hamstring injury.

In the second quarter, Rodgers threw interceptions on two consecutive possessions - first one was returned for a TD and second one was returned inside the 5-yard-line, and then the Packers punted about 27 times the rest of the game.  That last stat might be a slight exaggeration - it just seemed like that.  The Bucs defense gave the Packers fits. 

39 minutes ago, mojoween said:

I hate his stupid botoxed face so fucking much I can’t even muster up the energy to be mad. 

Is that what Brady has done? His face has looked different somehow lately but I couldn't figure out what was going on.

• Love 1
26 minutes ago, Irlandesa said:

FL but the NFL will make the rules about attendance not FL or TB ownership unless the state passes tighter ordinances about capacity than the NFL itself would consider. I don't think any of us expect that to happen so it'll be the NFL's choice.  It won't be empty but I don't see full capacity.

Last time I checked, the governor of Florida had lifted restrictions to where full capacity was allowed.  However, the NFL said nope as well as the Bucs, Dolphins, and even the Jaguars.  Around that time the plan was to have up to 15,000 fans or so at Raymond James Stadium.

So, while there won't be over 65,000 spectators on hand, there will be a fair amount.  It's not like in Pittsburgh where Heinz Field had nothing there (or 5000 on  one or two occasions).  If Tampa Bay wins, they will be "hosting" as it'll play out in their home stadium, a league first.  For what it's worth, the NFC is the "designated" home team for this year's Super Bowl; just a coincidence I guess.

That being said, the NFL usually spits the sales of the tickets so that one team can't hog all the tickets to create an advantage.  This season it'll be much easier to spread it out evenly.  Therefore we're not going to see 14,000 Bucs fans or 13,000 Packers fans if they win next week.  My guess is that it'll be 6500-7000 for both the AFC and NFC winners and them whomever else after that.  All of this is based off of the assumption that the number is still at 15,000 people on February 7, 2021

19 minutes ago, Court said:

The one effing time I cheer for the Saints, Brees screws it up. I'm going for Green Bay next week.

Seriously. I never root for the Saints and Packers but here I am. I would rather see Aaron’s douchey smirk and stupid discount double check dance than Brady’s botoxed face for the 10th time. 

Edited by twoods
  • Love 6
1 hour ago, Magog said:

This whole stupid GOAT debate crap that is prevalent right now started with Brady vs Rodgers.

tenor.gif?itemid=8145606

It started with Brady and Manning, and Rodgers (and I like him) really can't compare to those two, in my opinion.  I feel like Rodgers and Brees have had pretty comparable careers, though.

Speaking of whom, not sorry to see Mr. Focus on the Family ousted.

I'll be pleased with whichever remaining team wins the SB and gets my COVID-related asterisk to go along with it.

21 minutes ago, NUguy514 said:

It started with Brady and Manning, and Rodgers (and I like him) really can't compare to those two, in my opinion.  I feel like Rodgers and Brees have had pretty comparable careers, though.

Yeah, the original GOAT debate was definitely Brady-Manning, way back in ye olden days when Rodgers was just a wee pup. (Want to know something crazy, which I just looked up? Rodgers became the starter in GB in 2008, just three years before Manning’s last season with the Colts, the one he had to sit out with the neck injury. Over the course of Rodgers’ starting career, Manning was the starter in Denver longer than he was the starter in Indy. It’s actually also wild to me that they overlapped for that long...somehow Manning and Rodgers belong to just totally different eras in my head.)

anyway. IMO Brady is the GOAT but Rodgers is probably the most physically gifted QB who has ever played—though Mahomes may well give both a run for their money for those respective titles before he’s done as long as he stays healthy.

I’m happy the Bucs beat the Saints but the D is going to have to replicate this performance, and the O is going to have to be a lot better, to challenge the Packers. On the AFC side, I’ll be happy for whoever emerges from Chiefs-Bills, I just want Mahomes to be able to play (and not cheat the concussion protocol to be able to do it!).

• Love 1

I'm not sure Brady got botox. Maybe fillers in his face. I don't really blame him -- football is a rough sport and there's definitely a "football veteran" look -- haggard, rugged, too used to hard hits and playing in the freezing cold, rain, and snow. Aaron Rodgers has that look.

gdwdrtiwzn58xglwjuks

While I think it's possible that Andy Reid and Pat Mahomes can reach and maybe pass Brady & Belichick in terms of accomplishments, I definitely do not think they'll crush the league from now until 2038 or 2040.  In accomplishments, it's possible that they could win half a dozen titles.  It's so early, however; if I had to bet, our grandkids will go through life and die without anybody touching what Brady & Belichick did over the past 20 years.  However, Mahomes can be a legend in his own right.  People could still put him ahead of Brady when all is said and done.  After all, people put Coach K over Coach Wooden, for good reason though.

All this talk about the goat, and yet if you add Brees & Brady's ages you'll get a high total, but still 14 years short of the real goat: Betty White.

Despite the "hate" toward Tom Brady, as mentioned, I think he's a great human being.  At least tonight he was.  The images of him meeting up with Drew Brees and his family were very special, IMO.  For a half second, it reminded me of Peyton Manning & Ray Lewis postgame meeting after the latter's last game at Mile High.  A big reason why it's not hard for me to root for a rival is that outside of the game, you get some great genuine people.  You never hear that these days since the media won't shut up about the negative stuff and the total asses.  But, anyway, the respect and sportsmanship after the game means a lot to me, and that was nice of Tom to stick around.  I don't know or think he does that with his old team but he's in Tampa now.  Drew and Tom go way back

• Love 3

That was classy of Brady. Honestly, if he didn’t win so many SBs and wasn’t a Patriot for the past what seems to be century, I wouldn’t hate him that much. As a Bills fan, I got tired of losing to his stupid ass. I still think he fumbled against the Raiders (screw the tuck rule nonsense) and that one play likely changed his career. Who knows what would have happened to him and his confidence if he lost that game and didn’t go on to win a SB. He also had great kickers making those game winners for him in the SB and some luck (bonehead Pete Carroll and Falcons choking). 

• Love 3

My stepson is an obnoxious Pats fan, and his head will explode if Brady wins a SB in Tampa.

I'm not a Brady fan, but I'd kinda like to see that.

As far as the GOAT thing goes, I put Peyton Manning a lot closer to Brady than most people do.  Sure he doesn't have the number of rings that Brady does, but he didn't have Belichick for a coach either.

• Love 1

Wait the superbowl is in Tampa? That's unfair. I thought they pick a neutral  location for it. Now I really hope Green bay wins. Because then Brady can watch two different teams play in his "home' statetum. 

• Love 2
10 minutes ago, blueray said:

Wait the superbowl is in Tampa? That's unfair. I thought they pick a neutral  location for it.

The SB gets played in many of the stadiums used by NFL teams, and is awarded several years in advance. It just happened that TB is in the playoffs with a chance to make the SB this year. I don't know that it has happened before (and I don't feel like using the Google machine) but there has been the potential for this many times before. Heck, when they played in the Meadowlands a few years back, there was a chance (OK, slim doesn't begin to describe it) for both the "home" teams to face off there in the SB.

I am 99.9% sure that it has never happened before. If you want to be really technical, the possibility exists EVERY year, it’s just that no team has been able to do it before.

Though given that the NFL so tightly controls ticket sales for the SB, I’m not sure how much of an edge being “at home” would really provide—it’s not like NO fans would be able to have the Superdome rocking like in a normal home game, for example. The advantage would be more in the logistics leading up to the game than anything else—being able to work out in your own facilities, etc.

I wonder if a “home” SB team would still have its players move into a hotel for the week so they can really lock in on the game itself and not get “distracted” by being home with their families and in their normal routines.

10 hours ago, Carey said:

Despite the "hate" toward Tom Brady, as mentioned, I think he's a great human being.  At least tonight he was. 

I don't know.  He apparently snubbed a few QBs earlier in the season.  I don't think it takes a lot to meet up with a QB he obviously respects, after a win, when the guy is retiring.  A nice moment?  Sure but I don't think it makes him a great human being. Just a guy with some faves.

53 minutes ago, Moose135 said:

The SB gets played in many of the stadiums used by NFL teams, and is awarded several years in advance. It just happened that TB is in the playoffs with a chance to make the SB this year. I don't know that it has happened before (and I don't feel like using the Google machine) but there has been the potential for this many times before.

It hasn't happened before.  The Vikings came closest to making this happen in the 2017-2018 season as they were the first (and likely only) SB host that appeared in a Championship game.  They lost to the Eagles in the NFC Championship game.

But some teams have a better shot at being that team than others as there are some stadiums who seem to get more Super Bowls than other stadiums.  The SB isn't going to ever happen in Lambeau, for instance.

Edited by Irlandesa
  • Love 3

One thing I like about Tom Brady is he's very involved in his son Jack's life. That was the ultimate oops baby and very often after the father remarries and has kids the earlier oops babies are told to get lost. Exhibit A: John Lennon and his non-relationship with Julian.

• Love 2

Technically a superbowl team has never had a "home game", meaning playing in the stadium they use for the regular season

But the LA Rams played in Pasadena in the Rose Bowl in 1980 and the 49ers played at Stanford stadium in Palo Alto in '85.  Raiders also played in the Rose Bowl in 77, not that close but up the coast. 

• Love 2
12 hours ago, stealinghome said:

(Want to know something crazy, which I just looked up? Rodgers became the starter in GB in 2008, just three years before Manning’s last season with the Colts,)

I was at Cal when Rodgers was there, and have had like 7 jobs or so since he's been at Green Bay. 

• Love 3

Brady wanting to high five the ref after his QB sneak TD and the ref stone facing him was hilarious. At least Brady loosened up a bit and was smiling (or trying to smile, cuz, yeah, his face was totally not moving when he talked to Erin Andrews). 

I wanted the Bucs to win this one, but I might have to root for the Packers next week. Aaron has had a twinkle in his eye all season and seems to be enjoying the hell out of the game again. I've enjoyed watching him, and they're gonna be hard to beat. 

• Love 3

Good God,  Aaron Rodgers winning a 2nd SB would make him nigh unbearable.   As it is, we know how "beloved" he is by so many of his ex teammates.   Incredibly gifted Quarterback but alas also incredibly "gifted"  as an asshole.  .  

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

All this chatter I’ve heard about Kansas City or Buffalo getting their chance to get revenge on Tom Brady needs to stop right now.  For the sake of my health, please let the home team not play in their home stadium in the Super Bowl.

Tom Brady is a sportsman to the people he feels like being nice to.

• Love 7

In other news, woooooooowww. I truly thought Phillip Rivers had another year in him.  You’re next, Ben!

What are the odds Jim Irsay is looking at trade possibilities with Jacksonville?

Edit - apparently the prevailing wisdom is Irsay will call Houston instead.

Edited by mojoween