Type keyword(s) to search

NFL Thread

• Start Topic

20 hours ago, stealinghome said:

Oh come on, that's just not fair. The Browns are CURSED.

And no Joel Bitantonio.

Of course we’re cursed.  This is Cleveland after all.  We give up a WS even leading 3 games to 1 w/ home field advantage.  We give up a trip to the SB when the opposing teams has 98 yards to win.

ETA  a long, long time ago the Rams used to be in Cleveland. So technically we’ve lost two teams.

Edited by roamyn
17 hours ago, JTMacc99 said:

More importantly than all that, I'm going to say it here because I want it on record:

The Baltimore Ravens should terrify every single one of the other AFC playoff teams. They have found their groove at exactly the right time, and I can see them beating anybody in the AFC, and destroying the NFC representative if they got to the Super Bowl.

Edgar Allan Poe said this: "Quoth the Raven: Nevermore!" 

Regarding the Ravens going to Indiana decades ago, as I recall it seemed to be done undercover and the team snuck away in the middle of the night. No couple of years advance warning like the Raiders going to Vegas. Since I'm in a poetry mood this morning, the Colts just "[folded] their tents and silently [stole] away." It came across as very sneaky and I think that's why people feel that move is worse than other team moves.

Edited by Lamb18
  • Love 2

To be clear, of the 14 teams in the playoffs, the Ravens are a clear 13th on my list of teams I'd like to see win the Super Bowl, behind only the Redskins. So perhaps it is me who is terrified of the idea of them tearing through the playoffs and winning the championship.

To be fair, since they played that awful Wednesday game against the Steelers*, they haven't played a very difficult schedule. So let me re-evaluate my opinion @Carey

• They got the perfect get healthy game next against the swiss cheese Dallas defense where they ran for 294 yards.
  • Next was a division game against the Browns where they ran for 231 yards and scored 47 points, BUT they did give up 42 points and almost 500 yards, so maybe against a good offense in the playoffs they could get outscored. This was the only good offense they played at the end of the year, and they did NOT do a very good job stopping it.
  • They crushed the Jaguars. Not much to say about that game. Everybody did that.
  • They beat the Giants 27-13, and what is notable about that game is that they ran for 250 yards. The Giants had a top ten rushing defense this year, and they went through them like a hot knife through butter. It was impressive. Of course, the Giants offense was so inept that the Ravens were under no pressure to pass the ball, which should not be the case in the playoffs.
  • And they wrapped it up with 400 rushing yards against the Bengals.

So maybe their hot streak is a product of their schedule as much as it is them getting hot at the right time.

* By the way, after that game against the Ravens, the Steelers went 1-4, had a hard time dealing with the loss of multiple star players to injury, shaky offensive line play, less than stellar play from the QB, who was not exactly helped by multiple dropped passes from his receivers and tight end. In other words, they became an honorary member of the NFC East. Welcome aboard!

1 hour ago, Lamb18 said:

Edgar Allan Poe said this: "Quoth the Raven: Nevermore!" 

Regarding the Ravens going to Indiana decades ago, as I recall it seemed to be done undercover and the team snuck away in the middle of the night. No couple of years advance warning like the Raiders going to Vegas. Since I'm in a poetry mood this morning, the Colts just "[folded] their tents and silently [stole] away." It came across as very sneaky and I think that's why people feel that move is worse than other team moves.

Oh there was a lot more than that.    The team was TRYING to get a new stadium.   Was told no.   They said "fine we will go somewhere that will build us a new stadium."   Baltimore then freaking LOST IT.   They actually tried to get the State to declare eminent domain and seize the team from the owners.   Yep.   The City wanted the State to take a private company away from its legal owners.    Claimed "it was the public good" to have a team in Baltimore and the owners were violating public policy to leave.    So the owners, to avoid having their PRIVATE PROPERTY SEIZED BY THE STATE, they packed up and left in the middle of a snowstorm.    Considering all the threats going on, I don't blame them on little bit.   

• Useful 3
  • Love 1

The Eagles players should be thrilled with the gift Pederson gave them.

Everyone is talking about integrity and players being furious at him instead of how shitty most of them played all year.

He has given them months to hide behind this.

Personally I think baltimore has just benefitted from an easy schedule the last month.  I don't think they are any more or less dangerous than any other agc team 2-7.   They are all a toss up and very close in that group.   Anyone one of those teams can beat any other and I don't think seeding means much in that group.   A couple games separate almost all of them.....I think buffalo got to 14 wins?  Can't recall if 13 or 14 but they are all strong and competitive.  

But I can't see any beating KC.  Not that it can't happen just don't think it will.   Buffalo has the best chance with offense and defense balance and qb okay but they lack playoff experience. 

• Love 1
13 hours ago, bosawks said:

The Eagles players should be thrilled with the gift Pederson gave them.

Everyone is talking about integrity and players being furious at him instead of how shitty most of them played all year.

He has given them months to hide behind this.

13 hours ago, basiltherat said:

Philly, would you rather have had Hurts get hurt in that garbage game or see Mr. Third String Sacrificial Lamb QB get killed?  Dougie SAVED your shiny new quarterback!  And yet, its OK for Pittsburgh to sit Ben.

Yeah, the Eagles players really don't have any room to talk.  Maybe they do; their lack of winning may be contributed to all of their injuries they have.  However, as Bill Parcells has mentioned in the past: No one's cancelling games over injuries.  I wouldn't say Doug Pederson was right in his actions but oh well.  Pulling Jalen was definitely fair enough on Sunday

As for Ben sitting out, I don't know if you meant to say yes or yet; either way, Roethlisberger sitting out was what needed to happen.  Each of the last three times they made the playoffs, he sat out in Week 17 where a win or loss changed nothing in terms of their seeding.  2017 was a tough decision for several reasons but Pittsburgh nearly beat Cleveland again with their backups.  Since 2008, the Steelers are 8-0 against the Browns when the two face each other in Week 17.  Not the same thing between that and what Philly did, as mentioned.

8 hours ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

Personally I think baltimore has just benefitted from an easy schedule the last month.  I don't think they are any more or less dangerous than any other agc team 2-7.   They are all a toss up and very close in that group.   Anyone one of those teams can beat any other and I don't think seeding means much in that group.   A couple games separate almost all of them.....I think buffalo got to 14 wins?  Can't recall if 13 or 14 but they are all strong and competitive.  

But I can't see any beating KC.  Not that it can't happen just don't think it will.   Buffalo has the best chance with offense and defense balance and qb okay but they lack playoff experience. 

I can see several teams beating Kansas City.  However, I don't think it can happen; while I can see the Chiefs losing, I can't see anyone dominating them for 60 minutes.  They still have the best player in the league.  Sure Aaron Rodgers is the best player right now as it relates to the season, and Josh Allen has been the best player over the past month, but you have to factor in experience and the past into the equation.  Patrick has been the best over the past several years.

If Kansas City were to lose, it would be due to someone having to double their efforts or triple their efforts to win by a possession.  New England, known for pounding teams in the playoffs except for Baltimore or Manning-era Denver were handling their annual business against the Chiefs.  Except they couldn't do it for an hour of game-time.  They won in OT.

I like Pittsburgh's chances as much as Buffalo, as their defense is a little better than the Bills (even though it didn't show in Week 14).  They have a lot of weapons on the offensive side and if they did what they did against Indianapolis then they have a chance.  At best; I think they'll lose, and I would've said the same thing if a Chiefs/Steelers game were played at Heinz Field (even with 65,000+ fans). I actually said at much early on.  They're not good enough to score a lot of points, and that's not their style of offense.  Defensively they're efficient at both the ground game and the air game.  Just need it to be the case for the entire game and that is not happening. 

The Steelers do have the postseason experience.  Actually when they were having success, Kansas City wasn't.  That being said, I would be shocked if the Steelers won at Arrowhead again with only 6 fields goals for 18 points total.  Really it won't be easy making it to Kansas City anyway, Buffalo and Baltimore are playing some awesome football.

The Bills won 13 games, they got unlucky against Arizona but they got lucky against the Rams.  So it evened out.  Baltimore is on a 5-game winning streak, and what's crazy is if they had escaped Pittsburgh with a win, they could've won another division title.  The Ravens didn't really play anyone, but, unlike the Steelers, they actually rout the bad competition.  So whatever happens with Baltimore won't be a surprise.  Buffalo, meanwhile blew out each of their final six opponents.  Rather they won by double digits.  They're more impressive than Baltimore because they won a Week 17, all but meaningless game, against a 10-win team that was in a win-and-in situation.  56-26 in a lame duck week of football is very nice.  The weather in Orchard Park was fair enough so no excuse for Miami

Edited by Carey
Chances for AFC teams
22 hours ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

Does toughness of regular schedule translate to better results once playoffs come?  I dunno, Just Playing 16 games, if you're not toughened up  by the season end regardless.    It would be interesting to have statistical data as to how the teams with the best record versus quality opponents do once the post season commences.

Now I know before the season started the Ravens were projected to have the "easiest" schedule as opposed to the Patriots having the "toughest"

https://www.giants.com/news/2020-nfl-schedule-release-strength-of-schedule-formula-how-it-works

Did the actual results flip alot of that?  I don't know, just curious.

Edited by caracas1914

My DVR is set for the weekend! I think for the most part, the right teams are in. I'm from AZ and am almost glad the Cards didn't make it. They don't deserve it. I would rather watch Goff's spunky backup than Kyler Murray's lame pouty face. He seems so detached when things are going to shit. And the press conferences, OMG, "we just need to do better" after ever single bad beat. ....ya think? Ugh. The press here was scathing after that display.

I'll be rooting for some spoilers this weekend. Since it might be Alex Smith's last game, I do hope the Bucs don't trounce WFT ...but it seems pretty likely. 

• Love 2
11 hours ago, TVbitch said:

I'll be rooting for some spoilers this weekend. Since it might be Alex Smith's last game, I do hope the Bucs don't trounce WFT ...but it seems pretty likely. 

I think Alex Smith might have played his last game already.  That would've been against a team that said no thank you to winning and sign me up for tying against an equally horrendous franchise.

I'm not sure what'll be more of an upset between Tampa going home and the Browns winning outright.  The Steelers culture is one where they play down to the competition and are underprepared when it comes to a shift of schedule or personnel.  Save for their game against Jacksonville in 2017, that isn't the case in the postseason.  What gets to Pittsburgh in terms of defeat is usually injuries but really running into an opponent that's just better than you.

Buffalo should win, but I don't think they need to blow out the Colts.  IOW, I don't think it'll be a blowout.  Seattle will survive because the best QB in the game will actually participate.  Washington likely covers but that's it.  New Orleans should win by the first quarter.  Like the Bills, Chicago doesn't have the playoff experience, while the Saints do.  Tennessee and Baltimore should've been the SNF game as it's the best game out of the 6 games.  I think the lack of pressure for the Ravens will result in a victory.  Which is great because, while you have to earn it, Lamar deserves a playoff win & it'll be great to see him get there

• Love 3

There's a former judge that I would always talk football with at the courthouse.*   We stayed friends after he stepped down from the bench.   He is a huge WFT fan.   I realized just yesterday I hadn't talked playoffs with him yet.   So I texted him.   He said they have a chance tonight if their defense holds up.   I said, "What drugs are you on and will you share?"   Riverboat Ron has done a great job with the team -- WHILE GOING THROUGH CANCER TREATMENT NO LESS, but they are not playoff ready.   Not against Tom Brady, Gronk, and Mike Evans.   

*I really miss just being able to wander into his chambers and chat football.   I realized that was what I missed most during Covid and the courthouse restrictions, just running into people and chatting.

• Love 5

Is no one giving Tennessee a chance?  Didn’t they thump Baltimore just last year?

For today’s games so far, so good.  The Bills unis are very traditional and as far as I know, Indy doesn’t ever do anything crazy with their classic look.  (As an aside Duke men’s basketball is wearing these hideous laundry accident unis today that I hate almost more than any football jersey I have seen this year).

• Love 2
3 hours ago, merylinkid said:

There's a former judge that I would always talk football with at the courthouse.*   We stayed friends after he stepped down from the bench.   He is a huge WFT fan.   I realized just yesterday I hadn't talked playoffs with him yet.   So I texted him.   He said they have a chance tonight if their defense holds up.   I said, "What drugs are you on and will you share?"   Riverboat Ron has done a great job with the team -- WHILE GOING THROUGH CANCER TREATMENT NO LESS, but they are not playoff ready.   Not against Tom Brady, Gronk, and Mike Evans.   

Nice story.  That is one big thing during the past year that's miss: being able to talk to people about the game.  Sure you can do it remotely, but it just seemed so lackluster this year.

As for the game itself and one's readiness: I disagree.  Riverboat Ron is undefeated against Tom Brady.  Evans isn't 100% and Gronk is old.  OTOH, AB is undefeated against Riverboat Ron.  That defense is pretty good.  Their offense sucks but the defense is a big part of a team that is really rebuilding.

Washington overall isn't playoff ready but Rivera has experience.  Meanwhile, Brady, Gronk, & AB have playoff experience but Tampa doesn't.

15 minutes ago, mojoween said:

For today’s games so far, so good.  The Bills unis are very traditional and as far as I know, Indy doesn’t ever do anything crazy with their classic look.  (As an aside Duke men’s basketball is wearing these hideous laundry accident unis today that I hate almost more than any football jersey I have seen this year).

It's early, but round one to Indianapolis.  But it's early, and looks like Round 2 will go to Buffalo (if they score).  Colts needed a TD but got a FT.

16 minutes ago, mojoween said:

Is no one giving Tennessee a chance?  Didn’t they thump Baltimore just last year?

They did, but the pressure isn't there for the Ravens this year.  They lost in overtime this year.  I think it could go either way, but Baltimore has a little more and a Plan B to help on offense.  I think if they can score early enough they'll be good, or if they actually stop D Henry they should be okay as well.

I'm sorry, but as far as the new playoff format goes: This is awesome!  For me, it's a blast from the past.  NFL playoff game early Saturday afternoon with the Bills hosting.  Any resemblance of retro/classic NFL is good for me!

• Love 2

The best part of Blankenship's doink of the FG attempt was the guy behind the goal posts dancing excitedly in celebration.

I am happy to see Stefon Diggs doing so well. I hope Bills win! 1 min to go!

Edited by Lamb18
  • Love 1

Well colts had their chances but red zone offense, awful.  Too many drops and mistakes by the colts. Lots of dropped passes.  Should have had thT fumble by allen too

It was a very clean game no turnovers though honestly that should have been a fumble at the end by pascal, game over.  Very few penalties but one bug one with turay offsides on 4th down.  

But colts were big underdogs vs a very talented team on the road.  Had their chances ...couldn't do it.  

Rivers had done well for the colts this year but shows why he is not imo a HOF qb.   Have the ball 2 minutes chance to win or tie and fails.   He has done that multiple times this season for the colts. 

I'm actually happy for the bills though.  Chiefs bills assuming it is the afc title game should be great.  

• Love 1

Whew it was way too close for my liking with all the mistakes the Colts made. I thought Allen did well except for that fumble but thank goodness they recovered. He is much better than last year’s playoff game when he looked tight, and adding Diggs this year has paid off big time. Hopefully they continue to do well next week, but the defense needs to pressure the QB more and stop giving up so many big running plays.

Second game - what in the holy hand grenade are the Rams wearing?  Someone on Twitter said “urine-stained white” and I don’t think I can come up with a better descriptor.  And so many of them are wearing the blue socks that go right to their knees and the entire look is just displeasing to the max.

Edited by mojoween
  • Love 2

My WTF hopes are circling the drain, as Alex Smith is injured and inactive, and someone named Taylor is starting.

Thank goodness it’s only the last game of the night, and not the last game of the weekend.

Edited by mojoween
  • Love 2
6 minutes ago, emma675 said:

Anything that makes Philip Rivers mad is okay by me.

Same here; I didn't care about that game and only occasionally paid attention to it, but I like just about anything that ruins his day.

I didn't even notice what the Rams are wearing until y'all pointed out the ugly, and now I'm thoroughly distracted by it.

• Love 5
Just now, mojoween said:

My WTF hopes are circling the drain, as Alex Smith is injured and inactive, and someone named Taylor is starting.

Thank goodness it’s only the last game of the night, and not the last game of the weekend.

At least they have their head coach.  This probably should've been the ESPN game.  Same with the Browns/Steelers game except the media is acting like the Browns have already won something substantial & has done so over the past couple of years.  The TB12 effect I get; I don't think Alex Smith would've made a difference even if he was available and healthy (only because the TB defense is pretty good and the WFT offense isn't pretty good).

I'm totally glad that Buffalo won.  That increased when that questionable call stood.  I'm glad it did.  I probably would've been pissed if Indy lost over that possible turnover, but not if it was originally ruled a catch/fumble/turnover.  I think I definitely would've been pissed if Indy won over it however!

1 hour ago, mojoween said:

Second game - what in the holy hand grenade are the Rams wearing?  Someone on Twitter said “urine-stained white” and I don’t think I can come up with a better descriptor.  And so many of them are wearing the blue socks that go right to their knees and the entire look is just displeasing to the max.

I can't watch the game, only listen, but it sounds like Rams are wearing their Salute to Longjohns outfit, kind of a dingy off-white which outlines their lower half anatomy in high def.

Edited by Lamb18
57 minutes ago, mojoween said:

Second game - what in the holy hand grenade are the Rams wearing?  Someone on Twitter said “urine-stained white” and I don’t think I can come up with a better descriptor. 

Oh man, now I can’t unsee that description and it’s grossing me out!

• Love 1

You may have seen the match.com ad with Satan and "2020". At one point the two of them have a date in an empty stadium. Did you notice what they did to the end zone? (47 seconds in.)

• LOL 5
7 minutes ago, mojoween said:

Also WTF, WTF.  You are at home and it’s nighttime. Why the hell are you wearing your away whites?

I guess even they figured that they should be on the road in Tampa who has double-digit wins instead where they're at with a sub 500 record

• LOL 3
1 hour ago, xaxat said:

You may have seen the match.com ad with Satan and "2020". At one point the two of them have a date in an empty stadium. Did you notice what they did to the end zone? (47 seconds in.)

Ha ha, I saw that. Funny if they had that commercial during the game. Do you know what stadium that was at? 

19 minutes ago, Lamb18 said:

Ha ha, I saw that. Funny if they had that commercial during the game. Do you know what stadium that was at? 

Pretty sure it's MetLife with a helping of CGI. They went with color neutral gray seats because the stadium is shared by the Jets and the Giants.

Heinikie probably won't be a starter next year, but it looks like he is bumping himself up from practice squad status.

Edited by xaxat

I thought it was their stadium since Central Park was in the video.

For fun I calculated the 17th game for the 2021 season based upon end of regular season rankings. There are a lot of ties. In ties I gave the higher ranking to division winners or if one team made the playoffs and the other didn't. I don't know the rules to otherwise determine tiebreakers. Anyhow:

4/12 Falcons vs 1/15 Jaguars

4/11/1 Eagles vs 2/14 Jets

5/11 Detroit or 5/11 Panthers vs 4/12 Texans

5/11 Panthers or 5/11 Detroit vs 4/11/1 Bengals

6/10 49ers or 6/10 Cowboys or 6/10 Giants vs 5/11 Broncos

6/10 Cowboys or 6/10 Giants or 6/10 49ers vs 7/9 Patriots or 7/9 Chargers

6/10 Giants or 6/10 49ers or 6/10 Cowboys vs 7/9 Chargers or 7/9 Patriots

7/9 Vikings vs 8/8 Raiders (boring)

7/9 Football Team vs 10/6 Dolphins

8/8 Cardinals vs 11/5 Colts

8/8 Bears vs 11/5 Browns

10/6 Rams vs 11/5 Ravens

11/5 Buccaneers vs 11/5 Titans

12/4 Seahawks vs 12/4 Steelers

12/4 Saints vs 13/3 Bills

13/3 Packers vs 14/2 Chiefs

Edited by Lamb18

Whatever happens, it'll show that (as long as you have a defense) the Bucs are not the team to beat in the NFC if not the entire league. 

IMO, if Washington survives and advances to New Orleans (if not staying put at FedEx Field), Bruce Arians is a goner

• Love 1

I'm listening to the game local radio broadcast on Game Pass. I like the Washington radio team. There is a woman announcer who does color with a guy doing play-by-play and another man. The three of them work together really well and I've enjoyed listening to them, 3 or 4 games, I think.

3 minutes ago, Carey said:

IMO, if Washington survives and advances to New Orleans (if not staying put at FedEx Field), Bruce Arians is a goner

Maybe TB would hire Belichick.

• Useful 2