Type keyword(s) to search

NFL Thread

• Start Topic

New career for Aaron Rodgers??

Ken Jennings isn’t the only former “Jeopardy!” winner given a chance to fill the shoes of the late Alex Trebek. Aaron Rodgers will also be posing the answers to panelists later this year.

“I’m really excited about it,” the Green Bay Packers quarterback said Tuesday, during a media session mostly devoted to his team’s upcoming playoff game against the Los Angeles Rams.

• Useful 1

If that holds, I think that would make him the second elite NFL player to host an Elite gameshow within the past decade if not all time.  Albeit temporary, he would be the first accomplished NFL player (but not first outright NFL player) to host an accomplished year-round gameshow

Jared Veldheer is positive for COVID.  If he infected Aaron Rodgers, he will bump Brandon Bostick from the top of the "Dead to Me" list for Packers fans.  And of course, in the next few days we may find out he's taken out the entire offensive line.  This fucking virus.  

I'm sorry, but it's mind-blowing that anyone still in the postseason is testing positive for covid.  Jared Veldheer and whomever else has to do better.  It would've been nice to have gotten to February 7th without any positive tests for teams still in it or even everybody else.

Fortunately there have been no close contacts, so the optimism is rather significant.  Coming from Indianapolis, the precautionary methods would be a bit different so while it might wreck whatever Green Bay has done thus far, I think everyone involved dodged a bullet

• Love 1
8 hours ago, Calvada said:

Jared Veldheer is positive for COVID.  If he infected Aaron Rodgers, he will bump Brandon Bostick from the top of the "Dead to Me" list for Packers fans.  And of course, in the next few days we may find out he's taken out the entire offensive line.  This fucking virus.  

5 hours ago, Carey said:

I'm sorry, but it's mind-blowing that anyone still in the postseason is testing positive for covid.  Jared Veldheer and whomever else has to do better.  It would've been nice to have gotten to February 7th without any positive tests for teams still in it or even everybody else.

Why is ANY team still in the post season not doing a bubble?    Sure it would suck to be away from family for a month, but its ONLY a month.   For the whole enchilada.   

If any team wins because the other team is playing without major players due to Covid, that will just raise so many questions.   On the other hand, the Browns kicked the Steelers ASS without their head coach and several key players due to Covid exposure.  

• Love 2
4 hours ago, NUguy514 said:

I find it to be the very furthest thing from mind-blowing.

That's fine.  I have to be clear: it's not mind-blowing to me, I'm just saying it is.

NUguy, maybe mind-blowing is the wrong choice of words, and apologies if I offensive.  I'm not going to say that I'm one of, if not, the biggest supporter of choosing safety first.  However, I lean toward safely and precaution, with a mix of making sure you can proceed with business instead of doing nothing.

It would be silly to think that it’s a shocker that people are testing positive.  My concern is that you would think that the teams would be extra, extra careful during the postseason.  I’m the one (one of several people) who called for a bubble setting for the playoffs and even the last couple of weeks or so in the postseason, but that resulted in respectful disagreement, citing the difficulty of such a precaution (bigger rosters, logistics, etc).

The league chose not to enforce it, stating that the expectation would be for all participants to handle that themselves.  You would think that teams would be smart enough to do that on their own, especially given what happened with Denver, Tennessee, and Baltimore.  Come to think of it, I wouldn’t bet on that.  Well, I expect teams like Kansas City, Green Bay, Tampa Bay, and New Orleans to be extra smart.  New England totally would have been.  Meanwhile, I don’t expect teams like Indianapolis, Pittsburgh, and Houston or Dallas had they made it to have had the discipline to self-isolate.  Well, those teams are not in it right now, but I guess the teams that are serious about winning AND serious about the pandemic will be the ones that will make it without missing people.

As merylinked said, it is not good to be away from family.  Family comes first.  Not to sound harsh, but I think a decision should have been made to abort or opt out of the postseason if a player needed to spend time with his family, or to stay away until February or until they lost, whichever came first.  The holidays, specifically Christmas, I can defend, but that was nearly three weeks ago.

Anyway, I’ll feel bad if a team loses because of unavailable players, but barely.  It’ll suck if we’re denied seeing a spectacular game, but I guess I might not care about it in the long run.  Cleveland did pummel the Steelers, which made UMBC winning against Virginia just another game.  While it helps that Pittsburgh is lazy and doesn’t prepare well enough on a consistent basis, the Browns will tell you they have a team full of professionals and therefore are good enough to win with effort and preparation.  That’s pretty much been the case for Cleveland this year, despite their competition.  They proved they can win while being decimated with covid, however, I don’t think that’s a favorable trend as there are much, much better teams this year than the Steelers.

To close, I’m happy that it appears that the NFL will complete the season with the games being played when they originally were scheduled to be played (the postseason that is).  If/when they get to those and the season ends with a new champion or a repeat champ, then that is a total win for the league regardless of anything that has happened prior to the current period

• Love 2

I don't find it surprising that players are testing positive.  Look at the news - the number of new cases (and deaths) in the U.S. are at the highest levels ever in the pandemic.  I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the Packers' very strict protocols will prevent anyone else from getting it.  The offensive line group meets in what was formerly the media auditorium, which is the largest room available.  They sit about 10 feet apart during meetings.  However, I will not be surprised to hear of additional positive tests on any NFL team in the playoffs.

I hope Veldheer recovers quickly, that his case is mild, for his sake and for his family's sake.  

• Love 3

WHY by all that is holy to anyone anywhere at any time in history is Urban Meyer an NFL coach?    WHY?

He even gets to hire the GM.   HIS OWN BOSS.   Must be nice.   Given what went on at Florida and Ohio, he doesn't not need to hire his own boss who will be beholden to him.   He needs a boss who will watch him like a hawk and make sure he follows the rules.   

• Love 5
4 hours ago, merylinkid said:

WHY by all that is holy to anyone anywhere at any time in history is Urban Meyer an NFL coach?    WHY?

He even gets to hire the GM.   HIS OWN BOSS.   Must be nice.   Given what went on at Florida and Ohio, he doesn't not need to hire his own boss who will be beholden to him.   He needs a boss who will watch him like a hawk and make sure he follows the rules.   

Don't worry, he'll only be doing it for a couple of years then it'll be back to college for him. Just like so many college coaches who find the NFL an entirely different proposition (especially when it becomes clear that they can't just offer illegal incentives to recruit whoever they want).

• Love 2

This is going to sound really stupid, but in that Pepsi ad where The Weeknd pulls up to the security gate, is everyone singing one of his songs?  Because if so it’s pretty catchy and if the whole halftime show is like that, it’s not going to be bad.

• Love 2

Yes, it’s Blinding Lights which is his popular song right now. Some of his music has an 80’s feel to it so am hoping for a fun show.

I don’t think Goff can keep up with Rogers so this is going to be a long game. And it can’t be said enough, but Fuck the Packers.

Edited by twoods
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1

I wouldn’t even call what is going on right now snowing. It’s certainly not sticking.

The Rams must be superstitious so they are wearing the laundry accidents again.  Green Bay looks just perfect.

• LOL 3

Well I guess I'm not missing much if Rams are doing their Salute to Longjohns.

Regarding Chiefs vs. Browns tomorrow, I wonder if they will air the Mahomes State Farm commercial and the Baker Mayfield cooking a turkey or turducken at home (Browns stadium) commercial tomorrow.   And if it is Packers vs. Chiefs for the Super Bowl, will there be a battle beween Mahomes rate and Rodgers rate?

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, emmawoodhouse said:

I just realized that both QBs and I share an alma mater. I can't lose

I went to Cal for two years till Vietnam beckoned and I had to join the Air Force.

Aaron also went to Butte College, which is about five miles from where I was born, and he was born in the town I was born in.

Edited by Silver Raven
  • Love 2

Why can't Goff scramble and run more? He is 25! I hope Wolford gets a shot somewhere else, he was more dynamic. 

WTF with Pam Oliver with the coaches comments after the half. She was either super drunk or had dental surgery during half time. 

• Love 1

Well, boo, but I'm certainly not surprised, and I don't dislike the Packers (I hated Brett Favre, and I like the Bears in a vague way, but still - eh, they're fine now).  I like the Saints best of remaining NFC teams, but if it wound up being the Packers, I'd be okay.  As long as it's not the Bucs! 

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, emma675 said:

Maybe now the Rams will ditch those hideous uniforms. 

Was Goff playing injured? Something seemed off, he wasn't moving the way I normally expect him to. 

Goff has a broken thumb.  Wolford has a neck injury.

• Useful 2
1 minute ago, emma675 said:

Was Goff playing injured? Something seemed off, he wasn't moving the way I normally expect him to. 

He was.  Goff was playing hurt for sure, after having surgery on his hand.  That didn't help given Aaron Donald also playing hurt to where he was forced to bow out of the gam

• Useful 2
  • Love 1

What a difference in a week. There is no love lost between the Ravens and Titans (not Steelers) that Lamar Jackson refused to shake their hands last week, and here I am seeing Josh Allen and him walking through the tunnel shaking hands and hugging.

Edited by twoods
  • Love 2

Aaron ROdgers gave me me mild cardiac distress with those almost picks in the end zone just before the half - I've decided that he wanted to do a tribute to Brett Favre there 🤣 

The MVPs -  the o-line of the Packers.  Opened up big holes for the RBs and gave Rodgers a lot of time.  Got almost 500 yards against Rams D.  Pack's defense is concerning and their special teams are abysmal.  With the exception of Mason Crosby, and then JK Scott's bonehead play nearly got Mason killed.  

1 minute ago, emma675 said:

Maybe now the Rams will ditch those hideous uniforms. 

Goff  wasn't throwing like a guy with a thumb full of surgical pins, but Rodgers at age 37 was certainly more mobile.  

• Love 1

3 minutes ago, twoods said:

What a difference in a week. There is no love lost between the Ravens and Steelers that Lamar Jackson refused to shake their hands last week, and here I am seeing Josh Allen and him walking through the tunnel shaking hands and hugging.

Steelers didn't host the Ravens last week.  Normally there is valid respect between Baltimore and Pittsburgh.  There may have been a reason in Week 13, but despite the "hate" there is mutual respect.  Last week against Cleveland OTOH? It looked pathetic from the Steelers in terms of being a sore loser.

Ravens and Lamar had a reason last week against Tennessee.  Marcus Peters got fined, and that's okay.  However, there is a big time history between the Titans and Baltimore.

No history between Buffalo and Baltimore.  Last time the Bills won a playoff game, there was no such thing as the Baltimore Ravens

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

Shoot sorry I meant the Titans! I think this is from them losing last season in the playoffs to the Titans and this season as well in OT. Got my teams wrong, and the fans hating each other (Steelers, Ravens) because of their rivalry. 

Edited by twoods
  • Love 1
Just now, merylinkid said:

I just realized there are no teams left in the NFC I care about.   I usually prefer the NFC team in the Super Bowl -- because of reasons.   Now I'm "meh."   

With Los Angeles' exit, it's a field full of the best young QB's in Mayfield, Mahomes, Allen, and Lamar and the best/most accomplished active legends in Brady, Brees, and Rodgers. 

The remaining seven teams, IMO are worth tuning into.  That first game was sorta boring and the game one could afford to skip.  I actually admire Tampa.  I totally get respect, and I am totally okay with it.  Love to see the Packers though.  The Saints? Meh.  They had their chances over the past several years, after being awful before that, and then getting unlucky against Seattle, San Francisco, and Bountygate.  2013 was an underrated team.  Better than 2010, but so were the Seahawks (who actually had a better record against New Orleans that year!

11 minutes ago, Carey said:

With Los Angeles' exit, it's a field full of the best young QB's in Mayfield, Mahomes, Allen, and Lamar and the best/most accomplished active legends in Brady, Brees, and Rodgers. 

The remaining seven teams, IMO are worth tuning into.  That first game was sorta boring and the game one could afford to skip.  I actually admire Tampa.  I totally get respect, and I am totally okay with it.  Love to see the Packers though.  The Saints? Meh.  They had their chances over the past several years, after being awful before that, and then getting unlucky against Seattle, San Francisco, and Bountygate.  2013 was an underrated team.  Better than 2010, but so were the Seahawks (who actually had a better record against New Orleans that year!

I'm going for Cleveland for as long as they're there.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Lamb18 said:

Regarding Chiefs vs. Browns tomorrow, I wonder if they will air the Mahomes State Farm commercial and the Baker Mayfield cooking a turkey or turducken at home (Browns stadium) commercial tomorrow.   And if it is Packers vs. Chiefs for the Super Bowl, will there be a battle beween Mahomes rate and Rodgers rate?

There were eleventy billion Rodgers commercials during the Green Bay game today.  I can only imagine what the Progressive vs. State Farm bowl tomorrow will bring.

Buffalo’s unis are classic and who the hell cares what the Ravens wear?  I’m bummed the snow stayed north today and didn’t give Lamar a good New York welcome.

27 minutes ago, twoods said:

What a difference in a week. There is no love lost between the Ravens and Titans (not Steelers) that Lamar Jackson refused to shake their hands last week, and here I am seeing Josh Allen and him walking through the tunnel shaking hands and hugging.

I wish they wouldn't shake hands and hug.  Both at the end of last game and then today, I texted a friend  "Why are those people touching Aaron Rodgers?" and today he did not have a mask on at the end as Rams' players and coaches were coming up to him.  My friend has suggested some type of Popemobile that they could hustle onto the field at the end of the game for the quarterbacks - LOL.  Can you imagine the announcers?  "And now Patrick Mahomes is leaving the field, waving to the fans, in the Taco Bell QB Bubble."  Because you know someone would pay big bucks to sponsor the things. 

• LOL 7
18 minutes ago, mojoween said:

There were eleventy billion Rodgers commercials during the Green Bay game today.  I can only imagine what the Progressive vs. State Farm bowl tomorrow will bring.

Buffalo’s unis are classic and who the hell cares what the Ravens wear?  I’m bummed the snow stayed north today and didn’t give Lamar a good New York welcome.

That's right, Baker's sponsor is Progressive. Whenever those commercials start I think "Progresso" and expect to see Baker stirring a pot of black bean soup.

If it's the snow we had in Minnesota Thursday and Friday, it is that saturated, heavy snow that's hard to shovel and tough on the snow blower. I finally got my driveway cleared this morning. The blower part of my snow blower was shooting out ice pellets. 

This Bills vs. Baltimore game is pretty equal between the two teams. But I think Buffalo will win (yay)! Stefon Diggs will pull off a Buffalo miracle at the end. 

This year is the B team year - Browns, Bills, Buccaneers, Bears, Baltimore, Green BAY (if you want to stretch it).

I guess both kickers caught the Dan Bailey disease.

Poor Lamar Jackson. I’m sure this isn’t how he wanted the season to end.

The Bills winning gets them a butt whipping in KC next week. Yay.

Edited by twoods
  • Love 2
8 minutes ago, twoods said:

Poor Lamar Jackson. I’m sure this isn’t how he wanted the season to end.

The Bills winning gets them a butt whipping in KC next week. Yay.

Not so fast!  The NFL hasn't cancelled that Browns/Chiefs game yet!

• LOL 3
  • Love 2
4 minutes ago, Carey said:

✏️✏️✏️.   ◀️ not so fast!  The Josh  A MVP boat is sinking like the titanic 

6 minutes ago, Carey said:

Also, JACOMO is open for biz.  We are GTG.

Funny, the Buffalo radio guys were saying the last time Buffalo made it this far was in 1994. Buffalos ended up playing the Chiefs, won the conference and went to the Super Bowl. At least this year if they make it to the Super Bowl they won't be beat by Dallas.

41 minutes ago, twoods said:

The Bills winning gets them a butt whipping in KC next week.

You either want that or win the SB, no more SB losses. But next season (and for the foreseeable), when the Mafia will be back in full force, should be nuts. These guys are legit.

• Love 3