Type keyword(s) to search

NFL Thread

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, Lamb18 said:

How does Cleveland rank as far as all that tiebreaker stuff goes? Now there are five teams in the AFC who are 10 - 5.

They're in 7th place.  Or amongst the 5 teams, they would be in 4th place.  Ties are first decided amongst the division leaders and then by everyone else.  In the event that there's more than one team within a division, the NFL would break the tie within the teams within the division, and then rank among the remaining teams.  As soon as a "winner" (or "loser") emerges from all the scenarios, then the NFL would start over with the remaining teams

Tennessee, who lost to Cleveland, beat the Ravens.  That could be important if Indianapolis wins the AFC South.  All of those teams played each other this year.  Well, if the Browns weren't in the same division as Baltimore it would be important since the head-to-head would be null and void.  It would've come down to conference, common and SOV tiebreakers instead. 

Tennessee leads the AFC South so they're safe for now.  Baltimore swept Cleveland so they'd go with the Dolphins, Ravens, and then the Colts.  Miami has a better conference record so they get the 5th slot.  Process starts over.  Ravens beat the Browns twice so it's down to Baltimore and Indy.  Ravens won at Lucas Oil Stadium so they get the 6th spot.  Process starts over.  With the Ravens claiming a spot, it's down to Cleveland & Indy.  Browns won at home against the Colts, so they are currently in the 7th spot.  Indy needs to win and get some help in order to make the postseason.  They don't need much help but that help is not going to be easy for the Colts to obtain

• Love 1

If buffalo wins tonight they are tied with Pitt at 12-3 and for the #2/#3 seed.  It still means something because if they meet head to head it determines home field in the playoffs.  

Now not sure how much that means this year in this environment, but its still a difference.  Whether it is enough for them to both play their starters next week, I don't know.  

2 hours ago, Carey said:

They're in 7th place.  Or amongst the 5 teams, they would be in 4th place.  Ties are first decided amongst the division leaders and then by everyone else.  In the event that there's more than one team within a division, the NFL would break the tie within the teams within the division, and then rank among the remaining teams.  As soon as a "winner" (or "loser") emerges from all the scenarios, then the NFL would start over with the remaining teams

Tennessee, who lost to Cleveland, beat the Ravens.  That could be important if Indianapolis wins the AFC South.  All of those teams played each other this year.  Well, if the Browns weren't in the same division as Baltimore it would be important since the head-to-head would be null and void.  It would've come down to conference, common and SOV tiebreakers instead. 

Tennessee leads the AFC South so they're safe for now.  Baltimore swept Cleveland so they'd go with the Dolphins, Ravens, and then the Colts.  Miami has a better conference record so they get the 5th slot.  Process starts over.  Ravens beat the Browns twice so it's down to Baltimore and Indy.  Ravens won at Lucas Oil Stadium so they get the 6th spot.  Process starts over.  With the Ravens claiming a spot, it's down to Cleveland & Indy.  Browns won at home against the Colts, so they are currently in the 7th spot.  Indy needs to win and get some help in order to make the postseason.  They don't need much help but that help is not going to be easy for the Colts to obtain

Thank you, @Carey, for explaining how it works! Here's two more scenarios regarding the NFC:

East winner: Next week, if Eagles beat Washington and Giants beat Cowboys, there will be three teams that are 6-10: Washington, Dallas, Giants. Which team wins the division? Eagles will be 5-10-1.

Wild card: If Cardinals beat the Rams, and Chicago wins its game, all three teams will be 9-7. Which two are wild cards and who loses out? Packers, Saints, East winner and Seattle are the division winners and TB the #1 wild card. Bears could beat the Packers. After all, the Vikings did.

I'm also glad Washington booted Haskins.  Even if they lost to Philly, it won't be a mistake.  The kid sucked big time against a team playing for nothing.

Speaking of Washington and the other tiebreakers Lamb18 mentioned, I know that New York would have the edge over the Football Team due to their sweep.  As DrSpaceman mentioned, I think the GMEN definitely get the edge over Dallas with their division record.  The Cowboys dropped a couple to Washington but I don't know off the top of my head how they fared in-division.  I'll double check later when I check on the other stuff.  I believe it's win and Chicago's in due to Arizona's loss and their loss of controlling their own destiny.  And the Seahawks would get the nod over Green Bay thanks to the former going 2-2 against the AFC East

Haskins sucking on the field was bad enough but they might have given him another year to prove himself.  Maybe.  However, this stupid "not a strip club but a birthday party for my girlfriend" mess was probably the last straw and they saw that he lacked good judgement, both on and off the field.  

• Love 8
2 hours ago, Lamb18 said:

Thank you, @Carey, for explaining how it works! Here's two more scenarios regarding the NFC:

East winner: Next week, if Eagles beat Washington and Giants beat Cowboys, there will be three teams that are 6-10: Washington, Dallas, Giants. Which team wins the division? Eagles will be 5-10-1.

Wild card: If Cardinals beat the Rams, and Chicago wins its game, all three teams will be 9-7. Which two are wild cards and who loses out? Packers, Saints, East winner and Seattle are the division winners and TB the #1 wild card. Bears could beat the Packers. After all, the Vikings did.

No problem, Lamb!  These scenarios can be so complicated, but they usually work out at seasons end.

For the East winner: Obviously the Cowboys make it if they and Philadelphia both win.  Dallas would have 7 wins.  However, as mentioned by DrSpaceman73 as it relates to a Giants win, it'll come down to division record.  With all the surviving teams at 6-10, only New York would have a winning record within their division.  For future reference, if there's a tie within a division AND two teams split, it'll come down to common opponents before conference opponents (those are reversed whenever the league has to break a tie within the conference)

One thing that's not mentioned is if there is a tie in both NFC East games.  I'm somewhat rooting for that, but not that much.  Washington did in fact sweep Dallas so that would benefit the former.

A Cardinals win over the Rams means that Los Angeles would move to third place in the NFC West.  Better division record  Then the league would have to break the tie between Arizona and Chicago.  The Bears have the edge in common opponents, so then Chicago would be in sixth place.  Arizona gets the final spot.  FTR, Arizona and Chicago would have the same record within the NFC in addition to the entire league

I agree on the fact that the Bears could knock off the Packers.  Green Bay would be in trouble if that's the case.  The lack of playoff games in Lambeau have hurt them big time.  Though if you ask fans of the 2011 and 2013 NFL seasons, they'd say it's more of an excuse and less of a reason

Haskins' faults MAY have been forgiven if they were not juxtaposed against the bravery of both Alex Smith and Ron Rivera and their real life-and-death battles.  It's just all so seamy and insulting, even on a team owned by that particular piece o' X!@# owner.

• Love 10

It feels foreign that the Bills haven’t cramped on themselves for the second week in a row on prime time tv. They really are a different team this season! I hate to get my hopes up and I’m sure they will be demolished by the Chiefs or Steelers, but I’m so proud of them.

• Love 1
14 hours ago, AimingforYoko said:

You know what this tells me? Dan Snyder no longer runs the team. He may own the team(for now), but he doesn't run it.

This tells me that Washington is convinced Haskins sucks.  If they had any belief he could be good they'd talk about how this is a learning experience for a young man and that it wouldn't be fair to pass judgement on him for one stupid mistake.  But if you suck then we as an organization have standards we are pledged to uphold which no one is above.

• Love 4
14 hours ago, AimingforYoko said:

You know what this tells me? Dan Snyder no longer runs the team. He may own the team(for now), but he doesn't run it.

There have been questions about that for awhile.   Apparently he's been spending the pandemic -- elsewhere.   Plus he is very busy feuding with his minority partners and make accusations of spying on him.    So when all the stuff was going on with the name change and everything else it was left to new head coach Ron Rivera to take the lead.   Which is kinda unfair to a new HC.   New guy, doesn't know the team, the area, etc.  oh hey, you're the lead the guy.    

Congrats to the Bills.   Just an awesome season so far.   

Going back to the bad calls in the pitt/Indy game, now that I am not quite as mad, I realize a bad call here and there happens.  I can live with that sort of thing.  

What I can't accept is repeated bad calls or spurts of just sudden call after call when it hasn't been happening all game.  The Steelers game, Indy D had not been called for hardly any penalties all game, then suddenly every play, repeated, its pass interference or defensive holding as the other teams drives down the field.  Plus an obvious missed Pass int on the offense that prevented a likely int.  One drive was almost entirely due to two long pass int calls and the other it was 3 key missed calls that allowed a TD.  

It was the same in the packers game.  The game was over, it was in hand, then suddenly every single play, its offensive holding, literally about 5 plays in a row, like suddenly the OL forgets how to do their job on every single play.  

And to top it off there is a very real chance now the Colts miss the playoffs as a result of this, plus Pitt likely resting starters next week vs. Cleveland.  If the Bills decide to do the same pretty much the Colts are out of the playoffs no matter what happens in their game and a large part of that is due to the calls in the Steelers loss

I am not saying there is any conspiracy and I am not denying every team gets a bad call here and there, those even out.  But two instances this year where its suddenly just one of the same call over and over.  I don't care what the reason is, its suspicious, its poor officiating and its effecting the outcome of the whole season.  

I can see how the Colts community is upset over the events of the game against Pittsburgh, especially in the second half.  I hate it when officials determine the outcome of a game.  This one might hurt given the fact that it could cost them a playoff spot.

That being said, I’ll admit I didn’t have a problem with personally.  As mentioned, everybody has dealt with officials and their awful calls (or no calls).  Even the Steelers were victims of this, in their last game.  Aside from that, I cannot feel completely sorry for Indianapolis.  They still were up three possessions.  I think they should’ve kept doing what was working in the first half.  Not sure what happened to Taylor, but that was very effective in the first half.

I guess the saying goes: Never allow the refs to determine who wins or who loses.  That’s a reason why I’m okay if one team blows out another.  Or maybe tries to win by 25.  In the Colts case, they just got unlucky and robbed but it’s a combination of that and Pittsburgh finding something that helped them rally for the victory.

I have no idea what Pittsburgh will do in terms of their game in Cleveland.  I could have seen them play their starters in Week 17 had Buffalo lost (or if the Steelers hadn’t barfed up their soul in Cincinnati).  I think I would be shocked if they didn’t rest key people on Sunday.  No matter what Pittsburgh does, they can’t pass Buffalo unless the Bills lose & they win.  Furthermore, knocking out Cleveland isn’t automatic.  The Browns can get in with help even with a loss.

I’ll know more after Mike Tomlin’s news conference.  He’s scheduled to speak at noon.  Just not worth the risk.  It hurt them in 2011, though it was more valid that season given what was at stake.  No surprise: as was the case that year, the league is putting the Bills, Steelers, even Kansas City in the same timeslot (as they should & I agree with that)

• Love 1

My point is when its multiple calls, over and over, there is no way the colts could just 'not allow' the refs to affect the outcome.  That works when it's one call,. When the other team is just allowed to drive down the field on penalties and shove players to keep them from getting Ints, sure, 17 point comebacks are bound to happen

That's not to mention a questionable first half blocking in the back penalty where colts like get a td or at least a fg before the half 

It reaches a point where the 'dont let the refs determine the outcome ' is just a sad excuse for repeated crappy officiating over and over. One call sure, you should be able to overcome it.   Over and over or on multiple drives, not sure what a team is supposed to do to overcome that.  

Or .... the players thought they were getting away with holding and became more obvious about it.    Players admit (mostly after they retire) that they hold ALL. THE. TIME.    They know the odds are in their favor of not getting caught on any particular play.    But then they get over confident and get more blatant and the refs call it.

Btw -- Dez caught it.

• Love 1
27 minutes ago, Lamb18 said:

I thought of another scenario: If Saints and Seahawks win their games and Packers lose, which team gets the bye for week one of the playoffs? All three would be 12 and 4.

New Orleans.  They would have the best conference record between the three teams at 10-2.  The Saints would have home-field throughout the postseason which comes with the first-round bye

15 hours ago, merylinkid said:

Or .... the players thought they were getting away with holding and became more obvious about it.    Players admit (mostly after they retire) that they hold ALL. THE. TIME.    They know the odds are in their favor of not getting caught on any particular play.    But then they get over confident and get more blatant and the refs call it.

A retired offensive lineman has said you usually won't get called as long as your feet remain in your stance which I take to mean pointed towards end zone.  The minute your feet get turned and are still holding, that increases the likelihood of being flagged. And that is more likely to happen at the end of a game when a player might be getting tired. 

But it is frustrating when it's receivers and the secondary.  If they've been swatting at each other all game, then don't suddenly call pass interference at the end of a game unless it's much worse than what they had been doing.  I think there was a call in Miami/Raiders for defensive pass interference that seemed so silly.  Perhaps technically a flag but still silly.

12 hours ago, Lamb18 said:

I thought of another scenario: If Saints and Seahawks win their games and Packers lose, which team gets the bye for week one of the playoffs? All three would be 12 and 4.

It's so funny, if NO and GB are tied, GB gets the first seed.  But if Seattle is tied with them, then NO gets the first seed.  That's why they want to have GB and Seattle playing at the same time. 

Wanna talk about bad calls...I’m wondering what the Giants ever did to the officials that in multiple games pass interference has been flagged, but then oops our bad.  No penalty!

So I guess Mike Tomlin doesn’t like Mason Rudolph all that much, huh.

Edited by mojoween
  • LOL 1
16 minutes ago, mojoween said:

So I guess Mike Tomlin doesn’t like Mason Rudolph all that much, huh.

When I saw Ben was sitting out, I told Mr. 24k (Born and raised in Cleveland, bleeds orange and brown) that his team has a really good chance to win, so they better not potentially blow it by bonking Mason Rudolph on the head again.😅

• LOL 3

Dalvin Cook, the Vikings running back, is missing Sunday's game because his father died. He's with his family in Miami right now. His younger brother, James, is RB for Georgia and will be missing the Peach Bowl game.

6 hours ago, Lamb18 said:

Dalvin Cook, the Vikings running back, is missing Sunday's game because his father died. He's with his family in Miami right now. His younger brother, James, is RB for Georgia and will be missing the Peach Bowl game.

His father was only 46. I didn't hear about the cause of death. Covid? ☹️

• Love 1
11 minutes ago, mojoween said:

David Bakhtiari is feared to have torn his ACL in practice today and is done for the season.  What a shame.

Oh no.  He's such an important part of that offensive line.  I hate when stuff like that happens in practice of all places. 

Bakhtiari's injury could be huge especially since the Packers lost their RT Rick Wagner for an indefinite time in their most recent game.  They've got a great center in Linsley, Jenkins is a terrific guard, but there's only so many backups on the roster.  In the long term, a severe injury such as an ACL tear at this time of the year is doubly devastating since it can greatly affect the 2021 season too.  

That sucks.  I actually was leaning toward someone else other than the Packers for the NFC's top seed before the Bakhtiari injury.  I think Chicago is peaking at the right time.  However, that NFC North game should be pretty good.

I feel so bad for Green Bay.  Over the past decade they never could make it out of the NFC after their 6th seed success.  Aaron Rodgers has been pretty good but going on the road has been his downfall.  The Packers either get destroyed or they fall victim to a painful loss.  FWIW, that might be more of an excuse than a reason.  The last time they were the Top Seed it didn't go so well, and the last time they had one of those cold games 2 years later it wasn't successful either (though it was close).

Either way I think Green Bay needed to get homefield in order to make it to Raymond James Stadium.  It'll just suck if the loss of their LT dooms them.  Of course, they were slated to have a difficult battle in Lambeau anyway.  Unless the NFC East can pull the upset.  However, I don't know how most of the Bucs will perform in such cold weather.  Folks like Brady, Gronk and AB are used to it.  Seattle and New Orleans could succeed, but it's likely that the Saints & Seahawks knock each other out, unless the Bears can win and alter the NFC Playoff picture

10 hours ago, Lamb18 said:

This has been the year from hell as far as family tragedies are concerned. James White lost his father Bill Belichick and Ryan Fitzpatrick lost their mothers. Devin McCourty's daughter Mia was stillborn. The Patriots will be wearing special cleats this weekend and Devin's will spotlight pregnancy loss.

16 hours ago, emmawoodhouse said:

His father was only 46. I didn't hear about the cause of death. Covid? ☹️

He had diabetes and it's believed to be complications from diabetes. So, it could be his heart gave out.

That sucks.  The awareness isn't on the level of cancer or Alzheimer's, but diabetes is no joke.  Not sure what went wrong or could happened; while it's very treatable, nothing's guaranteed.

It has been a mess of a year, with everything.  Hope the new year can result in everyone involved finding some peace in their careers and their lives.

Edited by Carey
New year, same old spelling issues
  • Love 2

Georgia's RBs coach honors James Cook by wearing his jersey after Cooks' father died.

By the way, I had a weird dream last night. I dreamt that the Super Bowl was going to be on three different days. The two teams were playing each other three times. Someone wondered how the winner will be determined and I said they will add up each team's points and whoever has the most will win. The days were a Thursday, a Saturday and the following Saturday. Then I said my employer will have to give us all a day off on that Thursday so we could watch the game.

Edited by Lamb18
  • LOL 1
  • Love 4
21 hours ago, DoctorAtomic said:

Why not just the team to win 2 out of 3?

I wondered the same thing, but then I remembered some of the dreams I've had and figured it probably made perfect sense in the dream.

Soooooo, tomorrow is a big day, I've heard.  I hope everyone's team wins unless it affects my team negatively.  

• LOL 3
  • Love 1

I guess I wouldn't mind a best of 3 Super Bowl.  But only if there was an official line where the losing team covered.

Oddly enough, I often thought that the College Hoops National Championship would be best suited if it was a best of 3.  They would have to have it on Monday, Thursday, and Sunday (if necessary).  Not that they needed to but I hardly think "family" would affect the Masters that occurred almost immediately after the Final Four.

I don't know if I'll care or not whoever wins.  I think I'll be more upset if a team loses because a significant player was unavailable due to covid

• Love 1