Type keyword(s) to search

NFL Thread

• Start Topic

Can the media please stop talking about OBJ and the rest of the Giants receivers going down to Miami for a day.  Win or lose that trip will have absolutely no effect on the game.  Unless one is going to argue they are hearing the noise and put too much pressure on themselves to show and prove.  When these guys start coming late to practice or showing up hungover then I'll understand the outrage.  Other than that, shut up.

• Love 7

Jerry Jones had no hope of getting in.   I say that as a Cowboys fan.   He is terrible as an owner and GM.   All of the team's successors are in spite of him.

Please note that Darren Sharper did not make the final 15.   So everyone who got upset that he was even considered can relax now.    He's never getting in.   Even though the rules say the electors can only consider what happens on the field, the electors are human beings.   They are not going to actually elect him. 

16 minutes ago, FuriousStyles said:

Can the media please stop talking about OBJ and the rest of the Giants receivers going down to Miami for a day.  Win or lose that trip will have absolutely no effect on the game.  Unless one is going to argue they are hearing the noise and put too much pressure on themselves to show and prove.  When these guys start coming late to practice or showing up hungover then I'll understand the outrage.  Other than that, shut up.

Yeah, I think the critics need to realize that "rich people" travel is entirely different than "regular people" travel. It doesn't take any energy out of you to zip down to Florida on a private jet that's at your beck and call, as opposed to shlepping through the airport, standing in security lines, sitting around waiting for your flight, wrestling your way through baggage claim and Ubering your way home. OBJ will be fine.

• Love 3

I agree, the NFL doesn't want to put a sexual predator in the HOF.  I once asked a reporter on the Packers beat if there was any talk about Sharper while he was in Green Bay, and he said no.  I couldn't believe that someone became a stone cold criminal in such a heinous fashion in his late 30s, that it would be highly unusual for some to go from zero to 60 as a sexual predator.  But he said everyone inside and around the Packers was totally taken by surprise when Sharper's true nature was exposed. 

The former Packer I wish would get some consideration for the HOF is Leroy Butler.  An amazing personal story, and he was one of those guys in the 90s who re-defined the safety position.  My all-time favorite play from Leroy was in the '96 Super Bowl when he used RB Dave Meggett (speaking of rapists), who was attempting to block him as he blitzed, to sack Beldsoe.  Meggett was helpless as Leroy just took him along to participate in the sack.  I always said Meggett should be credited with half a sack. 

And yes, too much is being made of the trip to Florida.  Although I can't believe anyone uses their day off to hang with Justin Bieber.

• Love 1

Couldn't agree more about the Darren situation. It would be very hypocritical for them to put him in when so many others aren't there yet. If I'm wrong and he gets there, so be it, but only if it's a year where you put in over 100 people within a single year

12 hours ago, FuriousStyles said:

Can the media please stop talking about OBJ and the rest of the Giants receivers going down to Miami for a day.

I did like Eli's response though. Expressing disappointment that they failed to pack shirts for the trip.

• Love 11

So the Pats were 8-0 for the games that Grok didn't start for them.  Add Brady's 4 game suspension at the start of the season and the Pats still finish 14-2; you would think Coach Bill Belichick would be front runner for coach of the year, but it ain't gonna happen.

I'd give Coach of the Year to Jack Del Rio. Look what he did with the Raiders, they've been a crap organization since 2002 or whenever the last time they were in the Super Bowl. Shame they lost Derek Carr towards the end of the season, but I think they might have some good years ahead of them. Also, the current incarnation of the Raiders are surprisingly likable. I know that has nothing to do with the award, but it's still shocking.

• Love 4

Seconding the vote for Del Rio!  COY should be about going from crap to really good.  Evil Hoodie is already on the top; what sort of an accomplishment is it to stay there?  (Can you tell I hate the Pats?!) 

Speaking of hated Pats, why would you reward Pretty Boy Tom when he was suspended for bad behavior?  Would one be in favor of MVP for a DUIer, a rapist or a wife-beater?  I'm NOT saying Tom is any of that, but a suspension for bad behavior is a suspension for bad behavior and should NOT be rewarded.

Speaking of hate, I still do hate Crazy as a Sh!#@house Rat Jerry Jones, but I like the Cowboys this year and won't hold Jerry against them.

• Love 4

Speaking of hated Pats, why would you reward Pretty Boy Tom when he was suspended for bad behavior?  Would one be in favor of MVP for a DUIer, a rapist or a wife-beater?  I'm NOT saying Tom is any of that, but a suspension for bad behavior is a suspension for bad behavior and should NOT be rewarded.

Alleged bad behavior.  The story doesn't hold water.  Or air.

• Love 11
4 hours ago, voiceover said:

And now a "Bwahhaha" moment from SportsPickle's Twitter feed:

"Chip Kelly says he’s willing to run your fantasy team to prove he’s still got it."

No thank you! The 49ers only won twice, my fantasy team only lost twice and won the championship. ?

• Love 2
1 hour ago, caracas1914 said:

Well, it depends on the temperature, or so science tell us.

Science doesn't apply according to the NFL. At least when it concerns the Pats. When it's the Steelers it's a different story.

• Love 5

And the Giants are allowed to, you know, actually, without a doubt it happened break the rules in a way that directly impacted a game and get a slap on the wrist in comparison.

COY should be about going from crap to really good.  Evil Hoodie is already on the top; what sort of an accomplishment is it to stay there?

Based on the precipitous decline of the Panthers or Cardinals, for example, this year, I'm going to say a fairly decent one....

That said, I agree that Belichick probably won't win CoY this year. In general, I think he's going to go down as that guy who pretty much everyone agrees is the best coach of his generation, but who only wins CoY a handful of times (think Meryl Streep and the Oscars, you know? Nominated every year but only wins a few times). He's set an impossibly high standard for himself, so when Belichick does things that other coaches would win CoY for, everyone shrugs and says "well, that's just Belichick working his magic!" Having to use his 2nd/3rd string QBs for a quarter of a season this year is a perfect example.

• Love 1
6 minutes ago, stealinghome said:

Based on the precipitous decline of the Panthers or Cardinals, for example, this year, I'm going to say a fairly decent one....

The Panthers and Cardinals aren't perennial division winners the way New England is.

20 hours ago, basiltherat said:

I totally agree. I'm biased since I think the Pats are habitual cheaters. Granted, I respect Tom's game immensely, but he was suspended for 4 games. Whether or not you agree with the suspension, a judge upheld it. A player should not be considered the league's most exemplary player when he is disciplined that season. 

2 hours ago, stealinghome said:

And the Giants are allowed to, you know, actually, without a doubt it happened break the rules in a way that directly impacted a game and get a slap on the wrist in comparison.

That said, I agree that Belichick probably won't win CoY this year. In general, I think he's going to go down as that guy who pretty much everyone agrees is the best coach of his generation, but who only wins CoY a handful of times (think Meryl Streep and the Oscars, you know? Nominated every year but only wins a few times). He's set an impossibly high standard for himself, so when Belichick does things that other coaches would win CoY for, everyone shrugs and says "well, that's just Belichick working his magic!" Having to use his 2nd/3rd string QBs for a quarter of a season this year is a perfect example.

I agree with this, too. Belichick didn't get disciplined this year. I do think he deserves CoY but probably won't get it. 

I understand that Boomer is polarizing, but as a person who feels nostalgia very deeply, Chris Berman stepping down from hosting NFL shows makes me very sad.  I've never hated him like I have seen bandied about online.

I think I'm at the age where not only my contemporaries are retiring because they are too old to play, but the announcers I grew up with are also reaching their golden years of retirement.

• Love 4
3 hours ago, topanga said:

Whether or not you agree with the suspension, a judge upheld it.

Let's be clear: the Circuit Court ruled that the Commissioner had the power to impose the suspension under the terms of the CBA.  No court decision was rendered on the merits of the case itself.

• Love 10
6 hours ago, mojoween said:

I understand that Boomer is polarizing, but as a person who feels nostalgia very deeply, Chris Berman stepping down from hosting NFL shows makes me very sad.  I've never hated him like I have seen bandied about online.

I think I'm at the age where not only my contemporaries are retiring because they are too old to play, but the announcers I grew up with are also reaching their golden years of retirement.

Oh that's sad. I like him.

• Love 1

ITA about Belichick getting snubbed. If the reason for Brady not winning MVP is what New England did sans Brady in weeks 1-4, then Bill should earn the award hands down.  Not that I'd lose sleep over it, but how many times did Manning win MVP? Still bitter about 2008 when IMO James Harrison should have won (right call esp. given the fact Peyton beat Pittsburgh at Heinz Field that year). It went from Manning winning for being the reason that Indy was playoff-bound despite a 5th seed spot to Manning deserves it because he's the GOAT and Indy had the best record following 14-0 and eventually 16-3.

In the end, Brady probably gets snubbed since the voters feel the need to give it to someone new, yet Manning won it 5 times

• Love 3
11 hours ago, mojoween said:

I shall never forget Ben "Over" Coates and Curtis "My Favorite" Martin.

• Love 2
On 1/4/2017 at 3:54 PM, basiltherat said:

Seconding the vote for Del Rio!  COY should be about going from crap to really good.

The Cowboys went from 4-12 to 13-3.  In contrast, the Raiders went from 7-9 to 12-4.

On 1/4/2017 at 3:54 PM, basiltherat said:

Speaking of hated Pats, why would you reward Pretty Boy Tom when he was suspended for bad behavior?  Would one be in favor of MVP for a DUIer, a rapist or a wife-beater?  I'm NOT saying Tom is any of that...

Then why mention it?

• Love 6

COY should be Del Rio for obvious reasons.  Hell I would even give it to Jason Garrett before I give it to Belicheck.  I mean the Cowboys were an absolute circus (as usual) this year with their meddling owner and yet the 'Boys remained focused and basically only lost 2 games (I dont count the meaningless last game against the Eagles) with a rookie running back and a 4th round pick rookie qb. 

MVP is a little harder.  Zeke was the most consistent offensive player...but this is typically a qb award....so I'd go with Matt Ryan.

I am just sick on Jack Del Rio's behalf.  When he was hired, I was hopeful for the Raiders for the first time in a long time, and he took them from 3-13 to 7-9 his first year.  The solid work he's put in and inspired in his players was paying off so well this season, with the first playoff berth in nearly 15 years, and now ...

• Love 4

I think Zeke is in last place in terms of MVP consideration. Doesn't help he was a rookie. Maybe next year, but as mentioned, it's a QB award.  For Elliott to have a shot he would need to have a record-breaking year. A year better than what AP did in 2012 AND hope it's a down year overall for quarterbacks.  If I had to bet on it, it would go with Matt Ryan; I agree there. Despite Atlanta's weapons on offense, I feel the NFL would give it to him since Aaron & Tom each have two.  If Matt Ryan does win that would suck for Drew Brees, who has done better in past years but at the worst possible seasons of his career.

If I had to bet on who wins the COY, it's Jason Garrett. As mentioned, the turnaround was greater than what Oakland did.  Furthermore, Dallas lost their starting QB and had the season that they did.  Meanwhile, Oakland lost their starting QB, and crumbled immediately. Sad for Jack Del Rio, but the end stretch was unacceptable

• Love 2

Rodgers turned it on at the end of the year, but I think his rough stretch earlier lasted long enough that he won't garner many MVP votes. If I had to guess, I think the vote will go something like Ryan-Brady-Prescott-Elliott-Rodgers. Prescott and Elliott will split the Cowboys vote. On that team I would give the edge to Prescott, though. Elliott is great, but he's also helped by a fantastic line. Not that Prescott isn't, but it's different, and I think what he's done as a rookie is more impressive.

Is it possible for there to be co-CoYs? If so, I could see Garrett and Del Rio tying, with Belichick coming in a distant third.

Edited by stealinghome
  • Love 1

I heard a few days ago on ESPN that Matt Ryan was leading in one of their polls. I think he might end up getting some votes from people who are indecisive between Aaron and Tom and vote for Matt by default. I think that Tom being suspended could hurt his chances with some voters and while Aaron has performed well it is true that the Packers was struggling early on and he was apart of that. He has done very well down the stretch but I wonder if voters may take earlier games this year into consideration.

It's not going to happen but I would like to see MVP go to Derek Carr or one of the Cowboy Rookies.

Even though I don't think he's going to win, I hope Adam Gase gets some consideration as COY. He has done a good job with the Dolphins this year.  Young, first year coach has done a good job guiding them into the playoffs. Maybe he might get a couple of votes. I also think that Jason Garrett and Jack Del Rio did pretty good jobs this season. I could see them getting votes. I think that both of them are deserving candidates this year.

Edited by Jx223
  • Love 2

Poor Raiders. Maybe next year with a healthy team...

The Texans are going to get creamed by whomever they play the next round. Is their stadium big or are their fans super quiet? Even during the touchdowns that place was not loud at all. 

Edited by twoods
  • Love 2
32 minutes ago, twoods said:

Poor Raiders. Maybe next year with a healthy team...

The Texans are going to get creamed by whomever they play the next round. Is their stadium big or are their fans super quiet? Even during the touchdowns that place was not loud at all. 

Someone on Twitter asked why do the games at that stadium sound like they are played at a library, lol.

Unfortunately, this game ended up going the way some of us thought it would go for Oakland. I think that Jack should have tried to put Matt McGoin in even though I don't think he has played that well either. I do think he would have been at least better than Connor who really(understandably so IMO) struggled in his first game. (A very high pressure game at that against a really tough defense and without hardly getting any reps for most of the year.)

Maybe Jack didn't want to hurt Connor's confidence but I think he should have put Matt during like the second half in considering what was at stake.

Edited by Jx223
  • Love 1
51 minutes ago, mojoween said:

I just don't understand why the Raiders great defense is playing like such shit the last two games.

Houston has three offensive TD's!  Which is literally offensive.

The defense gets tired after staying out on the field for a long time. All those Raiders three and outs and punts doesn't give them time to rest. Plus, one of the Tds was short field position after an interception. 

Edited by twoods
  • Love 1

"There's a flag on the play."

Which play?  Oh, all of them?  Ok then.

I wonder who got in Al Michaels's ear to tell him that Boldin is in no danger of getting tossed from the game because he didn't get flagged for what will get you bounced.  Took him long enough.

For how many penalties there have been in this game, the Lions receivers have apparently not once been interfered with.

• Love 4
15 minutes ago, mojoween said:

For how many penalties there have been in this game, the Lions receivers have apparently not once been interfered with.

Goodell is at the game.   He made sure the refs know which team should win (fail mary anyone?).  

• Love 2

Cam newton gets hit in the head time after time and no flag. 

Russell Wilson, a guy tries to grab him from behind on a play and hits his shoulder, flag. 

They pick up Stafford and let him fall to the ground after the whistle, no flag

• Love 5

I think that this game feels like it went by fast. I think that Detroit could have won this game if they had done a bit more, but they didn't do enough. Their play (with the exception of Zach Zenner and their kicker) was anemic. Disappointing play from them. 

Also, I think that Seattle is going to struggle next week against The Falcons. The Seahawks have been up and down this year and I don't see them making it past Atlanta. I think that the Falcons are going to beat them. Maybe by a large margin.

Edited by Jx223

I think that this game feels like it went by fast. I think that Detroit could have won this game if they had done a bit more, but they didn't do enough. Their play (with the exception of Zach Zenner and their kicker) was anemic. Disappointing play from them. 

The Lions' WRs were particularly bad tonight (some no-calls on DPI didn't help, obviously). And they seemed even worse given the clinic the Seahawks WRs put on. They made some CRAZY catches tonight.

• Love 1

Yea, Seahawks!  The Raiders game depressed (although certainly didn't surprise) me, but now I'm cheered back up. 

Seattle has been spotty, and without Lynch their offense has been one-dimensional, this season.  So I have doubts about them going all the way.  And, of course, I ultimately want the Giants representing the NFC.  But I'm happy to have Seattle still in it; they're my second-favorite in the conference.

There were some great Seattle catches.  One receiver basically intercepting it from his teammate cracked me up, but I also liked the butt catch (and that Baldwin immediately told Carroll to challenge that shit, as he caught it) and loved Richardson's one-handed grab

With the Raiders out, my interest in the AFC is already reduced to "anyone but the Patriots."  Unfortunately, I don't see anyone stopping their path to the Super Bowl.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, Jx223 said:

Someone on Twitter asked why do the games at that stadium sound like they are played at a library, lol.

It's sad to see their stadium, big and shiny, next to the crumbling ruins of the Eighth Wonder of the World.

• Love 2
19 minutes ago, stealinghome said:

They made some CRAZY catches tonight.

Especially crazy when you are twisting the other guy's facemask/stiffing arming the other guy to keep him from the ball, while catching the ball one handed.

• Love 1