Type keyword(s) to search

S09.E06: Extraterrestrial Enterprise

That started out so fun, and I get a weird sense of joy watching Mackenzie and her dad.  But it wrapped up weird because I saw Worf out of makeup and I felt like it was essentially an argument in favor of shorter challenges, since I liked their original looks so much more.  Also...I feel like it is more current to have less than what they make in their longer challenges, especially with the female characters.  Though I guess Defiance had some full heads (that's the only way I can think of to describe it).

Kind of uneven, though I appreciated the celebration of Star Trek in a world where Star Wars is the cool sci-fi franchise.

• Love 4

I thought some of the original looks were much better than the updated ones. A lot of the painting was terrible, it looked like painting, the colors were weird & it wasn't blended at all. Just a strange episode.

• Love 8

Really bummed that two of the best both ended in bottom looks! Jasmine really did just give up and Jordan pulled a Roy/Emily and tried to rely on a past successful ploy. Glad Glen called him out on that and besides, his makeup did not in anyway update or improve on his foundation makeup. I liked Stevie's even if it came across as sort of simplistic (I think a lot of the make ups on the show dont quite translate on the tv screen). I doubt anyone was surprised Jason finally got the boot, it's been a long time coming.

• Love 1

I really enjoyed this episode.  The joy of seeing them geek out over Jonathan Frakes and Michael Dorn was a lot of fun (and pretty much exactly what I would have done), and I always like seeing the delight McKenzie takes in getting to work with her dad.  I also thought it was great that Dorn and Frakes both had a lot of constructive feedback to give.

I didn't really care for Scott's makeup, although the chest piece was fabulous.  I probably would have given the edge to Stevie over Ben, but both looks were really good.

Jason's departure was the right call, so no complaints there.  I was glad to hear Glenn tell Jordan that doing the same thing week after week after week is a surefire way to fail.

• Love 1

I'm going to miss Jason's lime-green sweater in the interview segments.

I love Ben, and I think he stayed most true to the task, so I'm glad he won. It's also good to see Stevie starting to gain confidence as she continues to do well in the challenges.

I also geeked out over the guests. It was striking to see the modern Jonathan Frakes right after viewing the video clips of him on the King of Disparate Things Mountain...I kept wanting to see him sit down.

• Love 3

I liked Stevie's even if it came across as sort of simplistic

Perfect. Back when TNG was airing, the net nickname was "forehead of the month club". The alien designs were very simplistic compared to the original series, with more care going into application so that they didn't look as cheesy.

Note to geeky contestant: "Live long and prosper" belonged to the original series.

• Love 4

Note to geeky contestant: "Live long and prosper" belonged to the original series.

It's also freakin' VULCAN! You wanna be a fanboy? Throw a little Klingon at him.

Did anyone else notice that the Losers Club was made of up Jason, Jazmine, and Jordan? I found that weird. Also happy that Glenn didn't hold Nora's floppy cowl against her. He just pulled it back into place and said, hey, that's not a bad makeup.

So so so so happy to see the previews for next week! Shakespeare! No monsters! (Please don't spoil my happiness by telling me they're going to let them do Romeo and Juliet and Zombies or Vampires of the Twelfth Night or something like that.)

Edited by Quilt Fairy
  • Love 8

I loved the concept of the challenge, taking a retro look and modernizing it. But since McKenzie's intro explained how Ve invented the look of the new Klingons for the movie then Mr W updated them for Next Gen then Neville reworked them for the new movies, I think it would have been better if the contestants had been tasked with updating someone else's retro alien instead of their own.

• Love 6

Stevie's Twitter handle is THE BEST.

When Ben totally tanked the Foundation challenge, I knew he would either win the Spotlight or be the one headed home. For some reason I find him endearing, so I was glad it was the former. Plus, his makeup was really good, and I was cracking up at the goofy hand gestures he and the model were doing at one another.

• Love 5

It's about time they put Jason out of his misery.  Every week he made such bad looks, yet he always spoke so positively about them.  Seeing him during judging always made me think of someone kicking a puppy.

• Love 3

I loved the idea for this episode, to evolve a look created for the foundation challenge. But I have to agree that most of the second makeups looked crummy compared to the first. IMO a lot of the contestants seemed to miss the mark on the whole concept. But Riker! and Worf! It was supercool to see them, and hey, at least it wasn't a gory horror makeup challenge, so I'm happy.

• Love 3

I'm really bummed about Jason. He turned out to be such a huge disappointment. I have a dear friend who does makeup for drag queens just like him, and who travels across the country doing makeup, prosthetics and costuming for travelling ballet and musical productions, and for some stupid reason I expected better from him. He was just so underwhelming from the word go.

Edited by Mindy McIndy
  • Love 1

This group is so literal.

And when they are not being literal, they are grabbing for the most obvious incarnation of whatever they are being asked to produce. I'm not getting anything imaginative, creative or even interesting from these contestants at all. A very disappointing season so far.

• Love 3

Ya, I'm kinda disappointed in this season, too. My favourite is still Nora, but I don't know if it's because I think she's talented or just because I like HER. Still can't wait for Meg to go home, even though that was the right pick to go last night. He should have gone home last week.

Megan was the BEST thing about last night's show. I thought she looked uber cute in her makeup and she just makes everything so damn fun. Her reaction to Michael Dorn was priceless. I hate the weeks when she's not on the show, or isn't picked to model...

It was nice to see them do Trek, when everyone goes batshit crazy over Star Wars, and I kind of don't understand why. Please do NOT get me wrong; I loved episode IV through VI. In fact, I saw episode IV probably more than 50 times the summer it came out. But I wasn't fond of the first 3 "prequels" because even though they had such a strong cast, and some outstanding characters, Yoda was a bad ass, etc., Hayden Christiansen RUINED the whole thing for me.

I'm always wanting to meet Mr. Westmore because I think he's probably one of the most genuine, helpful mentors I've ever seen on ANY of these kinds of shows. And I love Jonathan Frakes, so I would have lost my shit if I had gotten to be critiqued by both HIM and Mr. Westmore.

• Love 7

Will Riker......*heavy sigh*   J Frakes is definitely looking distinguished these days, and Michael Dorn looks pretty damn good too.  I owned the entire TNG on VHS back in the day.  Thank you Columbia Record Club.  

I also love when Mac & her dad get together on the walk arounds and he does his mentor thing.  And lucky girl has all of that film of the two of them working together.  I hope she knows how priceless that is.  

I loved Stevie's first look better than the second, but both were beautiful.  I would have liked Ben's more if he would have quit saying the word "turd".  Very distasteful, as I despise that word and hate hearing it.  Silly, I know.   

• Love 4

Honestly, aside from Ben's & Stevie's, none of those reinvented aliens would fit in any modern Trek. They were either too cartoony, too colourful, or too blocky to believably appear on tv. As for the "retro" aliens... a very mixed bag, again.

So all in all, not too convinced by this week's creations. The challenges were interesting, the guest judges were a great surprise, and the models seemed to have tons of fun... but the contestants' work... meh.

(I'm kind of afraid of next week's "turn male models into female shakespearian characters". If the judges' insist on realism, it will be a disaster)

I also love when Mac & her dad get together on the walk arounds and he does his mentor thing.  And lucky girl has all of that film of the two of them working together.  I hope she knows how priceless that is.  

I think she's very aware of how lucky she is.  From what Jason and Ben have said on Reddit, all of the emotions she shows are 100% authentic and not played up for the cameras in the slightest.  She got choked up officiating the wedding because her wedding to Patrick was set after the season finished.  When she got teary-eyed the week Brittany was eliminated, that made the contestants start to get weepy, which in turn made Ve cry.  I've always really liked her, but that made me like her even more.

Jason just couldn't catch a break this week.  One of the reasons why his makeup didn't set was that the model had a reaction to the first glue he used so he had to try something different.  He went overboard on Twitter talking about how touched he was that so many people were rooting for him, and thanked the producers for letting him be a part of it.  He also apparently hadn't told his husband about getting to meet Frakes and Dorn, and said that when they were watching the episode, his husband yelped "Riker touched your arm!"

• Love 8

Frakes surprised me actually. I haven't seen him in a long time; but IIRC, after TNG/DS9, he started getting a bit... well, pudgy. 

Tonight, he looked fantastic, almost unrecognizable.

Dorn was almost unrecognizable as well, but that's more because I've rarely seen him outside of the makeup. :)

And I'll echo again, that both he and Frakes gave a lot of good advice and critiques.

As for the makeups themselves, I agree with most of what people said above. I do think that ultimately Ben's model got him the win; the judges tend to love it when the models can bring a character into the makeups and Ben's model had it. The female model trading teases during the critique was great too. 

McKenzie and Westmore seemed to have so much fun with the artists too, and it was great seeing (almost) all the judges in the makeup room acting as mentors for a change.

• Love 4

When a contestant (Ben, maybe?) started talking about bringing his planet's color into the makeup, I groaned. Then comes "Be careful with that. Because we, as humans, don't look like dirt..." So glad to hear Neville say this!

Why were the judges so impressed by Scott's fish creature? They usually HATE the mask-as-makeup approach!

Happy with the chosen winner and loser. Ben sure rescued what started as a real disaster.

• Love 2

It's also freakin' VULCAN! You wanna be a fanboy? Throw a little Klingon at him.

Major thumbs down on that from me, too. Klingons don't give a shit about living long or prospering. 

Why were the judges so impressed by Scott's fish creature? They usually HATE the mask-as-makeup approach!

That fish creature was horrible. I couldn't believe it made the top 3, let alone got so much praise. It wasn't just the mask, but I didn't even really read it as a fish. 

Edited by azshadowwalker
  • Love 4

I gave this episode a thumbs up ONLY because it had Frakes and Dorn on it. I'm not a huge sci fi/ fantasy fan per say, though I do enjoy it, and my best friend back in the day was huge into TNG, so I have some background in it. It was good to see them both, though as a random aside, it would have been funny to see Genie Francis on there too, even as just an silent extra. Anywho, I agree with the majority of posters, the original looks were overall far better. I also think if they were going to spotlight something as important as Star Trek, either in concept or judging, it should have been a longer show, maybe a special. That would have been awesome. I think the right person went home, and I'm finally starting to suss out who I like and all, but the Triple J bottom got me, too. Some of the updated creations were kind of bad, and those colors, overall, just floored me. But it was an episode to make you smile, so I'll take it. Beats the alternative.

• Love 1

I would have LOVED to see Genie there with Jonathan.  Because, Laura!....and she's a knitter, so I adore her regardless.  Totally jealous also. 

I do love the retro makeup challenges, because as many references, photos and videos as are available to the artists, if you weren't THERE in the 60's and 70's, it's hard to nail the makeup concepts that went along with avocado green shag carpeting, harvest gold kitchen appliances and legit bell-bottoms.....*LOL*

• Love 2

Man, I can't wait for Glenn to show up on Steampunk'd and lay some righteous smack down.

I liked this episode, although I'm still not really sure what the problem was with Jasmine's look. I liked the painting on it a lot. The shapes were kind of weird, ok, but we've seen worse. Including Ricky's, which was fantastical, but not rational. The judges didn't have to reach up and shove it in to place, which automatically makes it a better look than Nora's. I don't know.

I could have told Jordan he's not going to win this show with foam rubber and hot glue.

Loved the Star Trek guys, who were more knowledgeable than I expected about the technical details of makeup.

Rule #1 on this show: Always Pick Meghan

• Love 2

I just noticed this now and maybe I'm wrong but........IT'S. I don't think that's right, and I probably just violated some online rule of posting.

IT'S is the contraction for "It Is"......Is that what you were referring to?  Sorry, but I'm 1/2 a bottle of Chardonnay into an extra LONG weekend, so I may be missing the focus of your post....*LOL* 

I haven't seen you violate anything!

Edited by leighdear

I just noticed this now and maybe I'm wrong but........IT'S. I don't think that's right, and I probably just violated some online rule of posting.

It drives me mad when people misuse:

It's ------------- its

they're ------------- their

you're ------------- your

than ------------- then

who's ------------- whose

may be ------------- maybe

to ------------- too

Or when they add the possessive in all the names of a series (e.g. Peter's, Mary's and Paul's friendship) instead of adding it only to the last name, as is the grammatically correct way to do it (e.g. Peter, Mary and Paul's friendship).

Or when they use the possessive on a last name when they mean to make the last name plural (it's "the Smiths went shopping" not "the Smith's went shopping").

Or when they misspell a word whose spelling should be simple to discern given the meaning of it. For example, "backpeddle" instead of "backpedal" when referring to someone trying to retreat literally or metaphorically; peddle is to travel selling something, pedal is to exert force to make a bike move.  It should be clear that backpeddle doesn't make any sense while backpedal means pedalling backwards, so, if you want to say "retreat", you'd say backpedal.

I think the reason why it bothers me so much is that English is my second language and I worked really hard at learning it and using it properly, only to find out that native speakers don't know (or don't care) about their own language.

That said, I know the internet is supposed to be a more informal medium, and that some devices (like mobile phones and tablets) aren't very proficient with the spellcheck, particularly when people use voice to text.  So, I've learned to ignore it... most of the time :D

-----------------------------------------

As for the episode, I agreed with the judges on both the winning and losing makeups.  And I also agree with the poster above who said that the guest judges were very knowledgeable.  I think in the past actors had to pay more attention and be more informed about makeup and costumes than they are today.

Edited by WearyTraveler
  • Love 3

Loved the Star Trek guys, who were more knowledgeable than I expected about the technical details of makeup.

Dorn wore a lot of it, and both men are directors.  I think that would lend itself to knowledge of, if not the intricacies of created make up, then at least understanding of what looks good on camera.  

• Love 2

leighdear, it was the title of this recap that had me thinking, and frankly, I was a bit into the white wine myself, so.....have a good weekend!!! I felt bad about saying something because, well, because. No one likes to be corrected. And, WearyTraveler..loose vs lose. That makes me nuts.

• Love 1

In this case, it's = it has (boldly goes where IT HAS gone before). Totally correct.

I always enjoy when the models show their personalities, so we're reminded that they are working on live people and not just mannequins.

• Love 3

Count me in on the MacKenzie fan club too. I remember tweeting when last season was starting - just used the faceoff hashtag, all of a sudden I had new follower. It was HER!  You can bet I followed her back right after that. She seems very happy to be doing the show, and it shows.

I agree with the other poster who said they just plain liked Nora. I do too, and I'm unsure if her creations are even the best, but she's so much fun and her laidback attitude makes me want them to keep her around.

It was Jason's time to go with week. Poor guy always looked like he was on the edge of a nervous breakdown, but he really wasn't as good as the others.

I think Nora is going to come roaring back here in the next few epis. She seems the type. There's always one or two who start out well and then fade a bit and the next thing you know, bang, there's the talent. I'm looking forward to it. Totally missed the Star Trek reference before I went off on my grammar questions, so, apologies. Never even put it all together. You learn something new every day. It makes me happy so many people like Mackenzie (did I spell that right?), been watching her since PASSIONS in the late 90s. As hosts (hostesses?) go, she's very good. She's people friendly and knowledgeable. I've seen some that would make me lose my mind because they clearly were hired for looks and had no idea what was going on.

• Love 1

I really like Nora as well.  She has such a positive attitude, always seems open to learning, and really seems to like working as a team.  She has a great attitude. 

And I'm also loving the models this season.  I'm really glad that they seem to have got rid of that one model who always looked unhappy and just kind of stood there, not doing anything.  I always felt bad for the contestant who got stuck with her.  They seem to be having so much more fun now.

I think the reason why it bothers me so much is that English is my second language and I worked really hard at learning it and using it properly, only to find out that native speakers don't know (or don't care) about their own language.

That's probably because it's not their own language. The U.S. has no official language, with English just being the de facto common language, so for many natives, it's their second language too. In my area, you can easily find people who grew up speaking Russian, Polish, or Spanish and never bothered to learn any English.

That's probably because it's not their own language. The U.S. has no official language, with English just being the de facto common language, so for many natives, it's their second language too. In my area, you can easily find people who grew up speaking Russian, Polish, or Spanish and never bothered to learn any English.

This may be true, but WearyTraveler isn't wrong--there are lots of people in the US for whom English is their first language and they really just don't care about using it correctly. 

Edited by Denay
  • Love 4

I wish they would label the photos with the names of the contestants and the models.  The models are adding a lot this season...I want them to get more credit.

YES!!! I would totally support that! Maybe we can start a hashtag.  Maybe CherZ can get it started since McKenzie follows her/him.  I think some of the models do a great job to elevate the make-ups and should be recognized. Meghan is awesome; if I were a competitor on Face Off I'd always pick her! :D

English is a very fluid language. English in Australia is different from English in Great Britain is different from English in the Southern U.S. is different English in the Midwestern U.S. is different from Canadian English.  There is no standard (like the French have), little consistency, and a love of embracing other languages so, in the U.S., we have English splattered with Spanish, French, German, etc.  The best you can do, under the circumstances, is realize there is a formal English with more attention to grammar, punctuation and spelling rules, and informal English which is used in conversation and on social media.  It's not that people don't care...it's that they don't know because other people around them speak and write the same they do.  Just a thought.

I love the fluidity of English, I love how words are created and incorporated into the language all the time, I don't think there's any other language as fluid.  I learned English in the US, but I took a two year sabbatical from the business world to re-evaluate my life and decided to teach English in Spain (still have to pay the bills, right?) and because it's Europe, the standard is British English.  I've also been to Australia and New Zealand, so, I'm no stranger to regional differences (color vs. colour, flat vs. apartment, lift vs. elevator, realized vs. realised, Americans doubling the consonants at the end of a verb when constructing the progressive while the British don't -travelling vs. traveling-, etc.)

That said, there are basic rules that apply across the board, like the possessive adjectives and pronouns and the ones I mentioned above.  Like I said, I know that this is the internet and the rules are more relaxed, so, I've learned to ignore it.  Some mistakes are accidental, a product of people typing fast or using a device that isn't helpful (autocorrect is a riot, sometimes); but I will say that I have a hard time when people accuse the creators of a TV show of stupidity and yet they consistently make the same grammatical errors in their posts (I might be a bit of a grammar snob, though. LOL!).

Here's a video I used to play for my students when they asked me why English spelling is so weird.  It's appropriately titled: "Why is English Spelling so Weird?". It's short, fun, and interesting, so, I hope you guys enjoy it too.  And that's the last I'll say about it because I don't want to hijack the thread. ;-)

http://mentalfloss.com/article/62995/why-english-spelling-so-weird

• Love 1

YES!!! I would totally support that! Maybe we can start a hashtag.  Maybe CherZ can get it started since McKenzie follows her/him.  I think some of the models do a great job to elevate the make-ups and should be recognized. Meghan is awesome; if I were a competitor on Face Off I'd always pick her! :D

I love the fluidity of English, I love how words are created and incorporated into the language all the time, I don't think there's any other language as fluid.  I learned English in the US, but I took a two year sabbatical from the business world to re-evaluate my life and decided to teach English in Spain (still have to pay the bills, right?) and because it's Europe, the standard is British English.  I've also been to Australia and New Zealand, so, I'm no stranger to regional differences (color vs. colour, flat vs. apartment, lift vs. elevator, realized vs. realised, Americans doubling the consonants at the end of a verb when constructing the progressive while the British don't -travelling vs. traveling-, etc.)

That said, there are basic rules that apply across the board, like the possessive adjectives and pronouns and the ones I mentioned above.  Like I said, I know that this is the internet and the rules are more relaxed, so, I've learned to ignore it.  Some mistakes are accidental, a product of people typing fast or using a device that isn't helpful (autocorrect is a riot, sometimes); but I will say that I have a hard time when people accuse the creators of a TV show of stupidity and yet they consistently make the same grammatical errors in their posts (I might be a bit of a grammar snob, though. LOL!).

Here's a video I used to play for my students when they asked me why English spelling is so weird.  It's appropriately titled: "Why is English Spelling so Weird?". It's short, fun, and interesting, so, I hope you guys enjoy it too.  And that's the last I'll say about it because I don't want to hijack the thread. ;-)

http://mentalfloss.com/article/62995/why-english-spelling-so-weird

thanks for the link, WearyTraveler.  it's very helpful to explain to others why there so many unpronounced/mispronounced letters and so many variations of spelling.  I'm known as the GrammerNazi at work because I like things to be written in proper English, though I have long since given up hope on that when it comes to speech.....

did they edit Kevon out of the show? During the advice part of the show, it was his creation that they wanted to use in a movie. He has been edited down and practically out of the show. He is annoying at times but also is likely one of the stronger contestants. Then again 95% of them suck most of the time. This season has the worst talent. The guy who won is decent.

If grammar is your thing then skip my posts. I've forgotten most of the information taught back in grade school and high school. The rest of my life was spent learning medicine/science. I watch shows in my free time and post for fun. I don't like writing but like giving my opinion.

Edited by Vicky8675309