Type keyword(s) to search

S10.E11: A Psychic Surprise

• Start Topic

For me, it's just not in my personality to confront someone who claims to be seriously ill and make them convince me that it's true.  I will support them however I can if I think it's warranted, and if I am skeptical then I'll wish them well and carry on with my life, but I'm not going to put them on the spot and question their honesty about something so sensitive.  I just don't feel like that's my place.  If they are really dealing with something that serious and bleak, I don't want to contribute to their stress by demanding proof.

And this too....

No matter what my feelings are about Brooks, I will never question someone who says they have cancer.  Don't care if that person is a murderer on death row, I will just assume they do indeed have cancer, and if it comes out later they didn't, then oh well, I got fooled.  It just feels too icky and fate-tempting to shit talk the validity of someone else's possible terminal illness, and I'm not interested in carrying that grossness around.

Irritable....insightful and kind posts. Maybe you should change your screen name to...empathic....;)

Edited by Bossa Nova
  • Love 9

Many cancers today are chronic conditions. They are treated, go into remission, come back, treated again etc. I don't assume someone does not have something they claim to have unless... unless it is another illness that can't be objectively confirmed on top of a long list of similar illnesses and the person appears to revel in it--use it for secondary gain and as a reason to ask for inappropriate pain medications-- some people are what I call "collectors" or "hospital hobbyists." People with chronic illnesses sometimes like to feel like a normal person and have a drink or two and some cake on their birthday whether they are diabetic, have cancer, or any other type of auto-immune disease. Even when they know they will pay for it later. Hell, I have obesity and even though I work really hard to eat a healthy diet, exercise regularly and take my vitamins, I still had cheesecake and champagne on my birthday. 

Psychics..  I like to deal with scientific fact. I don't understand why these women all fall over themselves to believe one grifter over another. The fact that Brooks has cancer does not make him not a grifter. He can be a grifter with cancer.

Cancer binders are pretty common. The American Cancer Society will send you one (or at least they used to when I worked in oncology 10 years ago) and you basically use it as a diary and record your symptoms, your doctor appointments, your medications, your test results and treatments. It is a way to keep track of everything because there is a lot of stuff to keep track of and chemo makes your brain not work very well.  Getting medical records is different than your binder because that includes doctor notes. All new doctors want everything (CDs of all your imaging, all the progress notes, the labs, any surgical and radiation data, etc) and it is usually the burden for the patient to collect it all and bring it in for the first appointment.

Edited by Lucelu
  • Love 14

Cancer binders are pretty common. The American Cancer Society will send you one (or at least they used to when I worked in oncology 10 years ago) and you basically use it as a diary and record your symptoms, your doctor appointments, your medications, your test results and treatments. It is a way to keep track of everything because there is a lot of stuff to keep track of and chemo makes your brain not work very well.  Getting medical records is different than your binder because that includes doctor notes. All new doctors want everything (CDs of all your imaging, all the progress notes, the labs, any surgical and radiation data, etc) and it is usually the burden for the patient to collect it all and bring it in for the first appointment.

Ah, so it wasn't a "I'm about to die so here are some memories and things about me to remember after I've died"  album?

• Love 1

"I don't want to ruin Brooks's birthday by saying anything…." Then keep your mouth shut Shannon!

I know it was the wrong time to try to give Vicki the information but Shannon had to do it while the camera was on them.  Maybe that is why Shannon looked so nervous at the table - she knew she had to do something that she didn't want to do?

• Love 13

I have no idea if Brooks has cancer, and certainly Tamra bringing in a psychic is not evidence or fact, it's just Tams stirring the pot. Heather was smart enough to know that Tams does this kind of shit so she immediatlely said she was going to keep mum, but stupid Meghan jumped all over it and couldn't wait to spill the beans. What an idiot!

And I didn't get the Shannon crying thing. WTF was she so upset about? Because some rent a psychic said Brooks didn't have cancer? WTF? And Shannon is no doctor, so she has no idea about what cancer patients should or shouldn't be doing. Just because she knows a lot of doctors doesn't make her a medical authority. And lots of people who have cancer get all kinds of unsolicited advice,referrals to doctors, etc. Just because they didn't take Shannon up on her doctor offer doesn't automatically mean something is up.

Lest anyone thinks I'm defending Brooks, I'm not. I think he's a grifter of the highest order. My guess is that he had stage one at one point and so he knows the drill. He may have had a recurrence, maybe not. If he is faking, I'm sure it's for his own gain. Since the "diagnosis", he gets to sit in Vicks house, doesn't have to work, I'm sure Vicks is paying all his obligations. So it is a good deal for him. Last week there was a woman who was arrested for faking cancer and bilking people out of money that they had given her during many fundraisers. She claimed she was doing chemo. Her family waited in the waiting room while she went to the cafeteria. They said they had no idea after the arrest that she was faking. I'm not sure what I believe but people do fake it for all kinds of reasons. 

Edited by poeticlicensed
  • Love 5

I feel like betrayal and the mere suggestion Shannon was a party to betrayal gives Shannon tremendous anxiety because of what she's feeling after David's affair. Hell, she s a nervous wreck to begin with. The more Brooks drank and gave off no cancer stank her betrayal anxiety was whipped up like crazy and she just had to blab to Vicki. Bad decision but I see how she got there.

Shannon go find a pelvic floor physical therapist they can fix you!

Meghan's manner of speaking drives me nuts. Over enunciating RBF in motion. Ice cold.

• Love 16

Is this what this show has turned

turned into? Using a "psychic" to push a storyline? #imdone

Yeah, I'm pissed off. I have a love/ hate relationship with the Housewives shows and they are much more rigged than they used to be but this psychic bull was so insulting to the audience, I can't even remember the rest of the episode. I'm livid.
  • Love 7

My opinion, Tamra and Heather - supposedly Vicki's good friends - acted horribly this episode. Neither of them even began to defend Brooks and Vicki when the psychic stuff started. Heather, keeping it "mum" does nothing. Standing up for your friend, is what you do. Shannon reacted the exact way I would want one of my friends to react. It will be interesting to see Vicki's reaction to this. I am certain that neither Heather or Tamra were honest with her about their complicity in this whole situation. And, then Tamra went on to talk about Brooks' other shady doings.

From what I can tell, it appears that before this episode aired, Tamra and Vicki's relationship was good, and Shannon and Vicks was on the rocks. I wonder it that changes ... Also, I think that Vicki thought the "bad news" about Brooks was about infidelity or something of that variety, and she was scared it was true, and that is why she didn't want it brought up. I think now, knowing the ridiculous of it all (news via a psychic), she surely regrets her reaction.

Oh, and I am 47 and work out religiously and I cannot do any high impact moves - running, jumping jacks, etc - or I pee. It's a real thing.

• Love 7

I agree with the person above who brought up the possibility that Brooks may have at one time had cancer and was treated for it- he knows a little. Not a lot, like someone in his claimed position would know. He has never mentioned the possibility of a stem cell transplant, because he couldn't fake his way through that. The whole scene with Shannon and Vicki felt off- I smell a producer setup. And Vicki was none too happy about it. Maybe at that point things with Vicki and Brooks were starting to tank.

• Love 6

I may not like Meghan but when she shut Vicki down in the previews... I may like her a teeny bit! That nod she did at the end of her sentence like "how do you like them apples?" Had me literally laughing out loud.

I still love Shannon and felt bad for her. She and Vicki seemed to have a genuine friendship and as usual, Vicki put Brooks first and no one better not DARE say one single bad thing about him. Hopefully their friendship is better now that Brooks is out of the picture, for now.

• Love 5

I'm just curious, why is that?

For me, it's just not in my personality to confront someone who claims to be seriously ill and make them convince me that it's true. I will support them however I can if I think it's warranted, and if I am skeptical then I'll wish them well and carry on with my life, but I'm not going to put them on the spot and question their honesty about something so sensitive. I just don't feel like that's my place. If they are really dealing with something that serious and bleak, I don't want to contribute to their stress by demanding proof.

You know the saying "Once bitten, twice shy"?

I too believe someone if they tell me they have cancer. However, despite my expressions and feelings of support and empathy I will be the first to pick up on any inconsistencies. I will try not to, but I will be super alert to anything amiss. It's human nature to be more skeptical if you have been badly bitten by a faker.

Unfortunately, some people DO fake illness and that happened in my life. And believe me, if it happens to you you don't just think 'oh well, I've been fooled'. Not after months of all the support/drama/emotional upheaval that you and your loved ones go through. You haven't just been fooled, you have been betrayed. You feel foolish, true, but it's also a betrayal of your trust. It's a betrayal of your good and kind nature. It's a loss of your innocence too. Plus, it can be an uncomfortable tango with feelings of anger.

It's unbelievable to most of us that someone would fake cancer because most of us are decent people who wouldn't dream of faking anything, let alone a dreadful disease. Who would be so brazen? Especially to fake terminal cancer...because at some stage they are supposed to die, right? That's how they get away with it. We don't ever expect anyone to feign such a serious illness.

Our little faker pretended she was terminal. As a nurse she knew what to say and do. Suffice to say, she made some mistakes and we caught her out (but not before she put us through months of medical drama, visits to palliative care, and solicitors). As I type this I am fighting against a strong urge to defend my intelligence! That is another consequence: I feel like I have to justify being duped.

BTW Irritable, I'm not arguing against you ... I think I'm lamenting that I can't be like you anymore.

Edited by CrinkleCutCat
  • Love 10

Okay, let me just say, I definitely think there's a possibility that Brooks is being less than truthful about his cancer situation. But let me also say two things about that:

1. It's not because some psychic said so. I don't tend to put much stock into that sort of things in the first place. But, also, it really seemed like that dude was brought on specifically to drop that bomb. I get the impression that girls had been speculating already, but didn't want to look like total assholes by bringing it up. So they have this random psychic seemingly innocuously mention it and it gives them all pause to think - "Hmmmm, wow, yea....I wonder". Please. That shit has Tamra Barney written all over it. And there was just something about the looks on Heather and Megan's faces when he brought the whole thing up. They didn't looks shocked at all. It was as if the entire conversation was planned. So yea. 

2. It's not because he's dropping chemo and going an alternative route. I'm 100% with Shannon on this - that many people seek alternative treatments when chemo isn't work. Some never even do chemo. Your health is a very personal matter, and I don't want to get into a big debate about western medicine, cancer, etc. But if I were to be diagnosed, it's likely I'd skip the chemo and head straight for the alternative treatments. (No coffee enemas, though, thank you!) So none of that makes me give Brooks the side eye. 

What does give me pause is just Brooks himself. He's always been a skeevy bastard. And it's just that a lot of the stuff he says doesn't add up. I, too, caught him talking about his cancer in the past tense and correcting himself. I hypothesized back at the beginning of the season that he may have had some minor cancer issue before and is using it as a storyline this season, so that would fit. Also, Vicki says his first relapse was in 2012, but Brooks says 2013? I guess it's possible to get the dates mixed up, but if they have this very efficient binder with all his info, it wouldn't seem likely. Also, weren't Vicki and Brooks together in 2013? Why are we just now hearing about this? Vicki never lets an opportunity to garner sympathy slide, so it doesn't seem likely to me that she wouldn't have mentioned it back then. 

I just feel like the dude had a mole removed and is now blowing it way out proportion. 

Now, onto Vicki - what a perfect arse she was to Shannon at dinner. Yea, maybe it wasn't the best time to bring it up, but I understand why she did. Sitting on information about your friends on these shows will get you raked over the coals real quick like. I'm sure Shannon just wanted to make Vicki aware so it didn't look like she was keeping anything from her, or that SHE was in on it herself. She was trying to do the right thing, even if the delivery was off. But Vicki had no reason to start yelling and cursing at her, and basically accuse her of ruining the night. No, Vicki, you ruined it. You could have simply heard what she had to say and decided when (or if) you wanted to tell Brooks. You didn't have to fly off the handle like you did. That broad is just exhausting. 

And now the sudden break up of Vicki and Brooks. Odd timing. Maybe she thinks that will take some heat off the cancer speculation? 

Some lighter moments:

Shannon pees when she runs! Girl, I had 3 kids in 4 years and I wasn't very good about doing my Kegels. I feel ya. I continue to love how Shannon just puts herself out there, even if it is sloppy at times. She makes for very amusing TV. 

Shannon's daughter calling her out as a lush who only has fun when she drinks. Hmmm, maybe that's why you don't try and discipline your kids on camera. 

Baby Ava puking all over Rapey Ryan. Chick is only a few months old, but she aint fooled. 

The "smart board" and dumb Vicki. That shit was hilarious. I'm pretty sure I had that figured out in 2 seconds. Just add two extra zeros to whatever number you're writing, and those will automatically fall after the decimal point. So if you want to write 100, you actually write 10000 and it will come out 100.00. DUH! 

• Love 15

Whether Brooks Ayers used cancer as a means to get Vicki's sympathy and to live under her roof for free, or whether Brooks Ayers really does have non Hodgkin's lymphoma, it will only be a matter of time now to find out the real truth. Brooks said that he is in stage 2B lymphoma which means he's in an advanced stage. People that have non Hodgkin's lymphoma can go into remission for 5 or 10 years. To me, Brooks Ayers has the outward physical appearance of a man that is sick.

If Vicki made the decision that ended their relationship, I can only suspect that either she found out that Brooks has been faking or overstating his cancer in order to gain sympathy from her and viewers, or that Brooks is really ill and entering the end stages of his cancer and she isn't able to come to terms with losing him. All Vicki kept repeating is "I'll support him. I'll be there for him. I'm going to support whatever decision he makes". Why would she split with Brooks now after vowing to stay with him no matter what?

Heather said the only smart thing in this episode "I'm not sure it's our business".

Edited by HumblePi
  • Love 7

I know it was the wrong time to try to give Vicki the information but Shannon had to do it while the camera was on them.  Maybe that is why Shannon looked so nervous at the table - she knew she had to do something that she didn't want to do?

I didn't understand why Shannon could have such a hard time putting this information aside for just one night to enjoy a birthday dinner.  Then I got to thinking that it probably was producer intervention that she bring it up on camera, as you suggest.  It's kind of sad really.  Shannon seemed to really value Vicki's loyalty and support when they chatted on the beach in Moorea.  But the show must go on. 

Psychic-shmychic.  But, how else were they going to bring up what all the viewers were thinking???

• Love 4

Dammit, I said I was done with this show and wasn't going to watch it anymore.  I was bored last night and couldn't find anything else to watch so I caved in.

There are SO many things I want to say about that lunch with the "psychic" but for now I'm just going to address Shannon deciding to tell Vicki about what happened after she and Brooks left CUT.  IMO, the only reason why Shannon said anything to Vicki at all was to make herself feel better.  Otherwise, as a GOOD FRIEND, she would have waited until either the next day or shortly afterward.  It was solely to make herself feel better, not to be a good friend.  A good friend would have realized that something like that would just set Vicki off, which it did and she didn't even tell Vicki what was said, just that something was said.  Her complete crying breakdown at the restaurant was ridiculous.  You suck it up and wait for a better time.  I'm sure there was some producer prodding, but still.  You could have waited until the next day and still had it captured on the camera.  

• Love 5
When Vicki said she didn't want to know because she refused to ruin Brooks' birthday, I was agog because it was the first time I'd seen Vicki do something that was truly selfless and considerate toward another person, with nothing in it for her.

See, I didn't find it selfless at all. I saw it as Vicki stopping Shannon before she heard something she didn't want to hear - like Brooks was screwing another 20-year-old "dancer" (or whatever it was Lori revealed a few years back). 

• Love 10
I didn't understand why Shannon could have such a hard time putting this information aside for just one night to enjoy a birthday dinner.  Then I got to thinking that it probably was producer intervention that she bring it up on camera, as you suggest.  It's kind of sad really.  Shannon seemed to really value Vicki's loyalty and support when they chatted on the beach in Moorea.  But the show must go on.

I feel like Shannon was kind of damned either way. She obviously got it big time from Vicki for saying something at dinner. But say she didn't....and then Tamra called Vicki the next morning and told her about everything. And let her know Shannon was there for the conversation. Next thing you know, Vicki is freaking out that Shannon didn't tell her. These girls play dirty and I think Shannon just wanted to say something before one of the other girls tried to throw her under the bus. 

Even if it was entirely her idea, and a bad one, she clearly felt awful. She was crying and tripping all over herself to apologize, and Vicki couldn't find one iota of sympathy, and just calm the fuck down and let it go? She's a jerk. 

• Love 20
Whether Brooks Ayers used cancer as a means to get Vicki's sympathy and to live under her roof for free, or whether Brooks Ayers really does have non Hodgkin's lymphoma, it will only be a matter of time now to find out the real truth. Brooks said that he is in stage 2B lymphoma which means he's in an advanced stage. People that have non Hodgkin's lymphoma can go into remission for 5 or 10 years. To me, Brooks Ayers has the outward physical appearance of a man that is sick.

I think Vicki said he was stage 3. I am not that familiar with cancer stages, so I don't know the difference between 2B and 3. 

Yes, Brooks doesn't look good, but that could be because he drinks and does god know what else. Looking sick doesn't necessarily mean cancer. My FIL died of non-Hodgkins lymphoma. He looked  way worse for several year before his death that Brooks does. But again, that doesn't mean anything. 

• Love 3

My opinion, Tamra and Heather - supposedly Vicki's good friends - acted horribly this episode. Neither of them even began to defend Brooks and Vicki when the psychic stuff started. Heather, keeping it "mum" does nothing. Standing up for your friend, is what you do. Shannon reacted the exact way I would want one of my friends to react. It will be interesting to see Vicki's reaction to this. I am certain that neither Heather or Tamra were honest with her about their complicity in this whole situation. And, then Tamra went on to talk about Brooks' other shady doings.

From what I can tell, it appears that before this episode aired, Tamra and Vicki's relationship was good, and Shannon and Vicks was on the rocks. I wonder it that changes ... Also, I think that Vicki thought the "bad news" about Brooks was about infidelity or something of that variety, and she was scared it was true, and that is why she didn't want it brought up. I think now, knowing the ridiculous of it all (news via a psychic), she surely regrets her reaction.

Oh, and I am 47 and work out religiously and I cannot do any high impact moves - running, jumping jacks, etc - or I pee. It's a real thing.

It was interesting to watch it again this morning, because I was multi-tasking last night and not paying a ton of attention to what was actually being said to the girls at the gym, and what was being said in the TH interviews.  Actually, during the conversation, Shannon didn't say much more in defense of B&V than Heather did. Most all of her assertions that he was really sick were in her TH. She only got really passionate about defending Brooks when it came to Meghan's comment about how a sick person wouldn't stay away from Chemo. That was when she told her that lots of folks do that. She sat right there and listened to Tamra talk about Brooks and his shady past and the things he had done prior, and said not one word in his defense. 

Heather said nothing disparaging about Brooks or Vicki. She kept her mouth shut. She just said in her TH that the argument could be persuasive. She also said it was none of their business.  Considering the way that Vicki talked shit about Heather last season for the entire first half, with zero provocation, Heather is still a much better friend to Vicki than Vicki has ever been to Heather.

The interesting thing about all of this is that prior to last night, the main person we have heard questioning the choices that Brooks has made is Shannon. She has been doing it all season. Vicki has even commented that she wishes Shannon would back the fuck off. I know she hasn't questioned the diagnosis, but she has thrown plenty of judgement around about the way he has handled it. She was also giving the girls ammunition last night when she was talking about the Specialist she had hooked him up with, and her disappointment and confusion that he never followed up. She revealed the deal about him sending her a text saying that he didn't have his records, but was going to have them sent over. When the girls asked what was going on, since V&B were making it sound like he had his records, she just shrugged and said she didn't know. In her TH, she said something like "do you have the records in your binder with the colored tabs or not"? Bottom line is that she might not be accusing him of lying, but she is stirring the shit with regard to how he is handling things and adding to the premise that he might not be telling the whole truth. And she was ridiculous at the birthday dinner. She blamed Meghan 100% for putting her in such an awkward position in her blog. She said she was left without a choice but to talk to Vicki. Clearly, she didn't need to talk to Vicki at that moment. A call the next morning would have been just fine. The way she acted like she was so upset and unable to cope is yet another little clue that she gives as to what it must be like to have to live with her.

Edited by motorcitymom65
  • Love 10

The only thing that would have made that psychic cancer scene with Tamballs and the girls better if it was held in a Chili's.

I wonder if it's possible that the whole psychic-involved theme was somehow instigated by Tamra and Vicki.  

I am more apt to believe it was something cooked up by Tamra and Brianna. Tamra has been asking to speak with Brianna 2-3 times already presumably innocuously on Vicki's behalf to try to warm Bri's heart vs Brooks, which I suspect is utter bullshit.  First, why would Tamra need permission for that? They are both grown ass women. Bri and Tamra don't need permission from mommy dearest to speak to each other. Secondly, I believe those 2 have been talking all along and Tamra wants it to look innocent when her and Bri do film together

(I remember a scene from the season preview that show Tamra and Bri talking over a meal so this does happen)

but it is really just a way to drum up more info and gossip on the Brooks doesn't have cancer storyline. Tamra will ask her why she still doesn't like Brooks and all this shit with spew about Bri's suspicions. Plus, at the top of the season, Vicki pretty much says that Bri doesn't believe Brooks about his cancer so of course Satan's concubine would find a way to exploit that and try to get Bri on screen with her saying just that.  

• Love 7

Where was Lizzie? And who were all those blondes sitting at the table in the preview? Could Gretchen and Alexis have returned? I hope Vicki goes full on head bobble screech fest on Meghan next week.

• Love 5

I can't wait for the inevitable "My psychic says your psychic is a goddamn liar" scene.

It's not so much that I think Brooks' reaction is sketchy, I think everything he does is sketchy, it's just that Vicki shows more emotion over a "family van" than she does his cancer diagnosis.  It's just odd....

I didn't include it in the post I wrote, but I thought the same thing about the family van.   

• Love 4

The only thing that would have made that psychic cancer scene with Tamballs and the girls better if it was held in a Chili's.

I am more apt to believe it was something cooked up by Tamra and Brianna. Tamra has been asking to speak with Brianna 2-3 times already presumably innocuously on Vicki's behalf to try to warm Bri's heart vs Brooks, which I suspect is utter bullshit.  First, why would Tamra need permission for that? They are both grown ass women. Bri and Tamra don't need permission from mommy dearest to speak to each other. Secondly, I believe those 2 have been talking all along and Tamra wants it to look innocent when her and Bri do film together

(I remember a scene from the season preview that show Tamra and Bri talking over a meal so this does happen)

but it is really just a way to drum up more info and gossip on the Brooks doesn't have cancer storyline. Tamra will ask her why she still doesn't like Brooks and all this shit with spew about Bri's suspicions. Plus, at the top of the season, Vicki pretty much says that Bri doesn't believe Brooks about his cancer so of course Satan's concubine would find a way to exploit that and try to get Bri on screen with her saying just that.  

The bolded part of this post is important. Vicki told the girls right at the beginning of the season that Brianna thought that Brooks was lying about his cancer. If my friend told me that, I would be asking what the fuckety fuck fuck is up with that? It irritates me that no one brought this up in the discussion after the psychic made his declaration. They acted like they couldn't believe anyone would question Brooks, when they all know full well that someone already is. It's another reason I am so surprised to hear Shannon constantly questioning Brooks and his choices. She knows that Brianna has already made an accusation that he isn't being honest, and then she is talking every week about how he isn't taking this as seriously as he should be. 

• Love 2

That psychic charlatan can GTFO with his nonsense.  I mean, Jesus Christmas, at least Ms. Cleo wouldn't give you a read unless you were actually talking on the phone with her!  Ridiculous.

And still, despite that nonsense, I'm still have a small doubt about Brooks' cancer.  Very small. Maybe 10% doubt. 20 tops.  I guess I just feel that it would be easy enough to "prove" by now that he did have cancer.  I mean, show us his medical records or get one of his doctors to vouch for him. That's what I would do if somebody ever questioned me about an illness. But, as far as I know, nothing has been proven thus far.

The best part of the preview clip for next week was the expression on Vicki's face when Meghan told her she was just an old bitter woman. Her reaction seemed as if she was more shocked that anyone would dare speak to the OG of the OC that way than a reaction to what Meghan actually said.

I knew there was a reason I'd held off buying my ticket for the Megan Hate Train---and there it is!  Yes, she is annoying and oddly smug, but at least she is somebody who will finally call Vicki out on her hypocrisy. Can't waaaaaiiiiit!

I would like to workout with Shannon.  It would be the first time I didn't look like the worst one in the room.  

LOL.  Oh Shannon *shaking my head* From her strange variety of various illnesses to her spastic, awkward single-legged lunges to her crying near-panic attack at dinner over the psychic's big reveal, she is just one hot mess.  That scene at dinner really was very, very unnecessary. If she really was just oh SO distraught over the news that Megan shared, she could have easily called Vicki on the phone or arranged to meet her without the cameras.  It's really all about securing the orange. 

At the same time, though, Vicki's angry reaction to it all was over-the-top and misplaced too.  But, I expect nothing less from Ms. FAMILY VAN!!!! herself.

• Love 10
When Vickie was talking about Brook's binder with notes and tabs and such, I got the impression he was filling out one of those memoir type things before one dies.

What he is probably doing is taking notes on his consultations with his Doctors.  Chemo makes you foggy and messes with your memory.  The Dr. talks cover a lot of things and it can be very overwhelming.  If you do not have an advocate going with you it is a good idea to write everything down that is said so you can review it later.  This binder/notebook is not the same as actual medical records which you do have to formally request because of HIPPA laws are not easy to just call up.  So there is no discrepancy between having notes and not having your medical records.  

Also when you are sick everyone and their brother wants to give you advice and has an amazing Dr that you should see, I totally do not fault Brooks at all for not pursuing every lead.  I think Shannon should back off.  Look I don't like Brooks, he is a cheesy con, and for the most part I like Shannon, but she was super phony here.  She was too excited about having something to throw Megan under the bus with.  

Edited by FamilyVan
  • Love 7
Where was Lizzie? And who were all those blondes sitting at the table in the preview? Could Gretchen and Alexis have returned? I hope Vicki goes full on head bobble screech fest on Meghan next week.

There was one blonde at the table that I thought was Gretchen for a minute and became instantly terrified. But they showed a longer clip on WWHL and I believe it was that other blonde girl who was on that beginning of the season and talking church with Tamra. I can't recall her name. 

• Love 1

I guess I just feel that it would be easy enough to "prove" by now that he did have cancer.  I mean, show us his medical records or get one of his doctors to vouch for him. That's what I would do if somebody ever questioned me about an illness. But, as far as I know, nothing has been proven thus far.

Medical records are private, and I can't see any ethical doctor allowing patient confidentiality to be compromised by appearing on camera during treatment. Any time I have ever seen a doctor/therapist/counselor willing to appear on a show like this, I instantly doubt their ethics and question whether or not they are a fame whore themselves. 

• Love 5

With each episode, finale, reunion, re-run and special I watch (or merely read about now, since I don't want to spend another minute watching such vile women representing my gender), I'm more firmly convinced that the Real Housewives franchise is Andy Cohen's way of justifying his homosexuality.   I DON'T BLAME YOU ONE BIT, ANDY!  I'm thanking my lucky stars that I'm a heterosexual woman, and I'm not even a big fan of men!!

In all honesty, I do thank God for the many awesome women who exist in the REAL real world.  The only way in which the word "real" applies to these bimbos is that they are really stupid.  How quickly they turn into children when you put a camera in the room with them.  I'm embarrassed for them and feel so badly for their poor children, including (and especially) their stepchildren, in one instance....

• Love 5

That "psychic" -- PUHlease.  One of Tamra's cronies here to get screentime.  So absurd. 

Shannon was being ridiculous with her schpiel and while I think Vicki overreacted in a major way, I think she must have reached her breaking point with Shannon.  Shannon is always bawling and being generally upset.  That would be frustrating to be around, especially when you're trying to enjoy a nice birthday dinner.

• Love 2

I love Shannon.  I think she did appear so nervous because she knew she had to bring it up on camera and I think she genuinely considers Vicki a friend.  And I hope they remain friendly, because as nutty as they both are, the relationship between them seems authentic.  

Having recently been diagnosed with breast cancer, its hard for me to imagine someone making it up; however if someone wanted to deflect attention from a shady part of their life, then its probably a pretty useful tool.  As for Meghan being an expert on cancer, I think for everyone it is different and she should in no way be comparing her husband's ex-wife's experience to Brooks.  I suspected he was lying about chemo b/c he seemed to have the same head of hair; however I just learned that a court officer where I work has been undergoing chemo for over a year and he still has his hair. Christ I have breast cancer, but in my mind, I really don't think of it as having cancer.  I certainly wouldn't be sharing my personal treatment plan with individuals, whom I knew from past experience didn't like and/or trust me.  Vicki and Brooks have allowed his medical situation to be a part of their storyline, but I don't think that makes his medical file fair game.  

I'd like to think that if he is making it up that Vicki wasn't in on it, but who knows.  She's definitely taken a lot of heat for the relationship.  

• Love 4

There was one blonde at the table that I thought was Gretchen for a minute and became instantly terrified. But they showed a longer clip on WWHL and I believe it was that other blonde girl who was on that beginning of the season and talking church with Tamra. I can't recall her name. 

I think that was Katie Edwards, IIRC.

• Love 2
Also, that psychic was boring.  The coffee lady on RHONY (who I believe was legit) was a much more entertaining character.  This guy could barely muster up an expression to indicate a vision was being received.  Which...I guess is part of the nature of OC, the hollowness of it all.

The psychic was funny - how could he read Brooks and Vicki without them being there?  So you can just say - Oh I know someone named Betty and the psychic can tell you things about Betty?  Uhhhh...  and his arm movements and charade motions were so funny - thinking about him in my head now today, I see him as a Chris Kattan character, all flailing arms and a thinking-so-hard face.

• Love 5

I love Shannon.  I think she did appear so nervous because she knew she had to bring it up on camera and I think she genuinely considers Vicki a friend.  And I hope they remain friendly, because as nutty as they both are, the relationship between them seems authentic.  

Having recently been diagnosed with breast cancer, its hard for me to imagine someone making it up; however if someone wanted to deflect attention from a shady part of their life, then its probably a pretty useful tool.  As for Meghan being an expert on cancer, I think for everyone it is different and she should in no way be comparing her husband's ex-wife's experience to Brooks.  I suspected he was lying about chemo b/c he seemed to have the same head of hair; however I just learned that a court officer where I work has been undergoing chemo for over a year and he still has his hair. Christ I have breast cancer, but in my mind, I really don't think of it as having cancer.  I certainly wouldn't be sharing my personal treatment plan with individuals, whom I knew from past experience didn't like and/or trust me.  Vicki and Brooks have allowed his medical situation to be a part of their storyline, but I don't think that makes his medical file fair game.  

I'd like to think that if he is making it up that Vicki wasn't in on it, but who knows.  She's definitely taken a lot of heat for the relationship.

I just don't buy the idea that they are forced to bring up certain things on camera. I buy that there is someone there before a scene saying things like "are you going to talk to Vicki about what Meghan said", or something like that, but I don't believe anyone is sitting there telling her she has to do this. If so, then the women wouldn't react the way they do, especially in this circumstance. If Vicki knows the producers force them into certain confrontations, she wouldn't have become so enraged at someone who was a close friend and was doing what she was told to do. The fact that Shannon decided that this was the exact right moment to tell this to Vicki is entirely on Shannon, and the fact that she has quickly realized that stirring up drama will assist one in keeping their Orange come contract time.

• Love 5
I loved Shannon at the exercise class. We are so used to seeing people who workout on TV doing it all perfectly, it was refreshing to see someone stumbling along. She looks like how I and most normal people look when we work out.

I totally agree. I work out every morning to these silly aerobic dance videos, and I've caught my reflection in the mirror. It aint pretty. I have horrible balance and I'm always doing the white man's overbite (tm Harry Burns), it's a mess. 

The psychic was funny - how could he read Brooks and Vicki without them being there?  So you can just say - Oh I know someone named Betty and the psychic can tell you things about Betty?  Uhhhh.

That was my thinking as well. I'm not a believer in psychics anyhow, but I always thought they operated by reading a person's energy while speaking to them or something. How is he supposed to discern stuff just by hearing a name? The entire thing was a crock. 

On a more serious note - I've seen several posters talk about their struggles with cancer, and I just want to say to any of you going through that - you are in my thoughts and prayers and I truly wish for a positive outcome for you! 

• Love 15

The psychic was funny - how could he read Brooks and Vicki without them being there?  So you can just say - Oh I know someone named Betty and the psychic can tell you things about Betty?  Uhhhh...  and his arm movements and charade motions were so funny - thinking about him in my head now today, I see him as a Chris Kattan character, all flailing arms and a thinking-so-hard face.

• Love 1

I just don't buy the idea that they are forced to bring up certain things on camera. I buy that there is someone there before a scene saying things like "are you going to talk to Vicki about what Meghan said", or something like that, but I don't believe anyone is sitting there telling her she has to do this. If so, then the women wouldn't react the way they do, especially in this circumstance. If Vicki knows the producers force them into certain confrontations, she wouldn't have become so enraged at someone who was a close friend and was doing what she was told to do. The fact that Shannon decided that this was the exact right moment to tell this to Vicki is entirely on Shannon, and the fact that she has quickly realized that stirring up drama will assist one in keeping their Orange come contract time.

Vicki is insane and has no filter...Its kind of why I like her.  I absolutely believe Vicki would go off of the deep end regardless of whether she knew it was producer driven.  I mean everything about this storyline was a set up.  I'm not convinced that the whole psychic business wasn't set up by production.  It was all just too strange and while Tamara is a shit stirrer, I don't know if I can say for certain that she drove this bus.  Shannon isn't going anywhere.  She brings legit crazy drama.  She doesn't need this storyline to stay on the show.

Edited by AttackTurtle
  • Love 9

I don't know. I read a producer's blog on BRAVO that talked about how Luann got outed during PirateGate. Heather and Carole had no intention of mentioning it on camera. They weren't mic'ed and were away from the camera while talking about it but they were overheard by a production assistant. Production then told both of them that they needed to bring it to camera. That's why we got the talking heads of them talking about hearing a bunch of men's voices and one of them being Luann's. Producers have a way of convincing the people to do things that they wouldn't normally do in a real life situation. Hell, Vicki didn't even want Brooks to be filmed this season, and now we are subjected to this does he or doesn't he have cancer story line because Andy threatened to fire her if he didn't film. Which actually makes me wonder if Andy would have fired her if Brooks had refused to sign the consent to film. Probably.

• Love 6

I loved Shannon at the exercise class. We are so used to seeing people who workout on TV doing it all perfectly, it was refreshing to see someone stumbling along. She looks like how I and most normal people look when we work out. 

I've attended a lot of group exercise classes in my day, and no....most people do not look like that!  She's a special kind of spaz.  I find it slightly endearing though.

Medical records are private, and I can't see any ethical doctor allowing patient confidentiality to be compromised by appearing on camera during treatment. Any time I have ever seen a doctor/therapist/counselor willing to appear on a show like this, I instantly doubt their ethics and question whether or not they are a fame whore themselves. 

Good point about the doctors on camera.  As to the medical records, though, if they really want to prove he is currently ill (and not HAD been sick in 2009 and 2012 or '13), they could have shown the records to somebody they trust in private. I'm not saying they should--but they could.  And it would have mostly put an end to the ongoing speculation about his health. I mean, had they shown the records to somebody they trust (like Shannon) off-camera or something, then that person could definitively say either in the press or in a TH: "YES Brooks has cancer."  

But that's not been the case here, and it's what triggers a small amount of doubt in me.   

Edited by Duke2801
  • Love 2

I don't know. I read a producer's blog on BRAVO that talked about how Luann got outed during PirateGate. Heather and Carole had no intention of mentioning it on camera. They weren't mic'ed and were away from the camera while talking about it but they were overheard by a production assistant. Production then told both of them that they needed to bring it to camera. That's why we got the talking heads of them talking about hearing a bunch of men's voices and one of them being Luann's. Producers have a way of convincing the people to do things that they wouldn't normally do in a real life situation. Hell, Vicki didn't even want Brooks to be filmed this season, and now we are subjected to this does he or doesn't he have cancer story line because Andy threatened to fire her if he didn't film. Which actually makes me wonder if Andy would have fired her if Brooks had refused to sign the consent to film. Probably.

Oh, I absolutely think they make suggestions on things that would bring more drama, I just don't think they tell them they have to do anything. Tamra gave a great interview a few years ago where she talked specifically about the group trips. They never film the flights home, and she said that often these are the most dramatic parts of the vacations. Folks are tired of being together for days, they are cranky, and anxious to get home. She said that often times you have production begging them to wait to address things or confront others until they are filming again but it cannot be stopped. She said it drives them crazy because they would like all the drama to happen on camera but the girls are smart enough to know what they want filmed and what they do not.

Edited by Lisin
fixed quote
  • Love 2

I love Tamra selling tickets to the Shannon shit show. Shannon was such a good sport even though you could tell this wasn't her thing. This is fun, you know the ladies work to stay in shape for the cameras, so this I like to see.

Overall a good episode.

• Love 4

I'm over blaming everything on producers. Producers can suggest but they can't MAKE someone say something. They have free will. In the end these are CHOICES these women are making and they need to own it. The worst that can happen is they don't return to the show next year. So they are choosing the paycheck over friendship etc. And the fact is that most of them don't need the paycheck. 

• Love 6

I'm sorry - Shannon's twins are brats. If I so much as spoke back to my parents and walked out as they were talking to me, they would have stripped my room of everything but a bare mattress until I was 18. There would have been hell to pay. A punishment of writing an apology eltter? Man, I wish that was most extreme punishment I received as a kid.

I love that this episode has come out just as the news of Brooks and Vicki splitting has been revealed. I think the psychic storyline is BS - it was just a way to bring the 'is Brooks faking cancer?' plot into filming. I think Vicki snapped because she thought Shannon was going to discuss something else, hence her screaming that she's never had someone love her like Brooks. Maybe she thought Brooks was going to be outed for cheating or for using her for money. I think Shannon cried because she felt genuinely bad for having to discuss this on-camera. I do think she really likes Vicki and that she didn't want to hurt her.

I don't know if Brooks is lying. If he is or if he exaggerated his condition, that is really disgusting and mean.

Shannon looked ridiculous in that gym class. I cringed when she did the deadlift with her back curved. That's a great way to get injured. I've been the obese, uncoordinated mess in a gym class before so I felt her pain, but it really doesn't seem like she was trying. Anyway, I never realized until this episode how muscular Meghan is.

Edited by trimthatfat
  • Love 1

Public service announcement: if you have this symptom, please consider being checked for ovarian cancer. Ask me how I know.

Every symptom in the world can be attributed to cancer.  Headache?  Brain tumor.  Nausea? Stomach cancer. This is why doctors beg us not to look up our symptoms online.  I drove myself into a tizzy for a week last winter when I incessantly looked up some symptoms online.  I was convinced I had cancer, but it turned out to be the flu.

• Love 5

Wasn't Tamra's big thing in Tahiti that she was doing something never done before and bringing up the conversations had outside the presence of another.  That was her reason for bringing up Girl Code to Heather and Meghan bringing up shit stirrer to Tamra.  All of a sudden they change the rules because it might upset Vicki.  I think they did that to Shannon intentionally to challenge her.

I don't think any of these five women are in any danger of being dropped except Tamra who always has to cause problems and has that special relationship with the producers.  Every single thing Tamra does seems designed to cause trouble.  her scenes with creepy Ryan and the baby are just nothing.  Same with Eddie and her mother, absolutely zero interest.

I think Shannon approached the news wrong-I would have put heavy emphasis on the ridiculousness of a psychic and less emphasis on what the others were saying.  I was a little disappointed in Heather-she is usually a lot more practical and I can't imagine as a doctor's wife she didn't shut down the faking cancer talk.  She just kept saying-who does it-and of course a believable answer would be Brooks.  Vicki has said recently that Brooks has cancer so I don't think there was some big reveal.  As far as faking it-brooks expertise in insurance is as a consultant in Health Insurance.  So he has the ability to fake it.

• Love 2

Meghan's body language and manner of speaking are that of a tomboy tween girl who grew up in a house of older brothers. I'm waiting for her to throw out "bro" and "dude." I don't think that women have to be a "certain way," or fit into certain categories (I certainly don't) but she's hulking in the way teen boys who haven't grown into their bodies are. Throw a letter jacket on her and she could play a bullying football player on the silver screen.

So basically what you're saying here, is that Meghan is Lauren Manzo.
  • Love 5