Type keyword(s) to search

F-U, Reboot-Mania: Express Your Hate Here

• Start Topic

3 minutes ago, Sakura12 said:

Money talks. Lol and he's probably not getting many other offers. 

True. I don't dislike Harington as a person and I think he got better as the show went on, but he was never one of the show's standout actors to me. 

• Love 1
57 minutes ago, Sakura12 said:

Money talks. Lol and he's probably not getting many other offers. 

Television is not the only medium for actors. He was the lead in the Donmar Warehouse production of Henry V. I'm looking forward to seeing it on Sunday (sadly it's only a National Theatre Live at my local cinema, not in person).

• Useful 1
26 minutes ago, praeceptrix said:

Television is not the only medium for actors.

It looks like he's been getting reasonably steady work, and he was in a Marvel movie so he can afford to be picky. I liked Jon Snow. The most interesting to me was when he was on the wall and the stuff beyond the wall. And his friendship with Sam. Maybe they pitched that version to him. I can also imagine the sheer work intensity of GOT maybe might make him scale back. 

I also didn't hate the final season except barely being able to actually see some of it, and I don't get what people were expecting. The ending was fairly well organic to what had come before. I suppose there are criticisms in the actual execution, but I don't get too high or low on tv, movies, etc. 

However, it seems to me like the GOT ship has sailed, and revisiting it now is a big ask for fans when there's new epic fantasy properties like LOTR and Wheel of Time, and other genre, like the Boys out there. I'm not one to circle back. I watched the show, when it was on. Now I watch other things. It was a good show for its time. I could see a movie, like the Sopranos would be more sensible to gain interest. I don't see viewers flocking back. 

• Love 2
On 6/17/2022 at 5:44 AM, Anduin said:

I was just coming to share that!

Now, I didn't watch the final seasons and wasn't part of the fandom. Hollywood Reporter describes him as a fan favourite. When I did watch, people were a bit negative towards him. Not outright hate or anything, just somewhat blah. Did the collective opinion change over the years?

I would call Jon one of the favorite characters. Sure, he had his haters as well, but I think every character had that. And he seems to me like one of the obvious choices for a spinoff, though Arya would be more likely IMO. With characters that stayed in King's Landing, they would need to get many of the actors back, so it seems logical to pick one of those that are in a different location.

On 6/17/2022 at 10:45 PM, Zella said:

I'm really shocked Kit Harington is attached to it. I didn't hate the final season as much as the rest of the internet, but he had talked about having to go to rehab and just being in a very dark place mentally as the show wrapped up. Perhaps I read more into his words than he actually meant, but it seemed like a "never again!" thing to me. That or they offered him so much money he got over any objections. 

I had the same impression from him. But it's been 3 years now, so maybe he changed his mind with a time passed.

• Love 3
On 5/19/2022 at 7:07 PM, DoctorAtomic said:

I'm loath to say this, but the QL doesn't sound so bad. At its best, it was an anthology show about literally stepping in someone else's shoes. Learning about other people that you might not know is a good thing. *If* that's the point of the show, I'll probably check it out. If it's just a knock off to capitalize on nostalgia, then no. 

Now, of course, with basically a main cast of two, the chemistry is of the highest importance. 

Still a "Ah Hell NO!" from me.

On 6/16/2022 at 11:44 PM, Anduin said:

Now, I didn't watch the final seasons and wasn't part of the fandom. Hollywood Reporter describes him as a fan favourite. When I did watch, people were a bit negative towards him. Not outright hate or anything, just somewhat blah. Did the collective opinion change over the years?

Collective opinion was never collective.  Not every corner of the internet felt the same way about him, or anything else concerning GOT.  For example, there are plenty of us who enjoyed the final season and even the final episode, but we don't tend to be nearly as vocal with that opinion.

On 6/17/2022 at 4:48 PM, Sakura12 said:

It made sense when GoT was one of the biggest shows in the world. Then they went and fucked it up. 

House of Dragon has to be really good to bring back any good will people have for this franchise. 

Plenty of people never lost the good will they have for the franchise.

On 6/17/2022 at 4:51 PM, Zella said:

True. I don't dislike Harington as a person and I think he got better as the show went on, but he was never one of the show's standout actors to me. 

He wasn't my favorite either.  He has done some things which made me think he has a deft touch with comedy, though.

On 6/17/2022 at 6:31 PM, DoctorAtomic said:

However, it seems to me like the GOT ship has sailed, and revisiting it now is a big ask for fans when there's new epic fantasy properties like LOTR and Wheel of Time, and other genre, like the Boys out there. I'm not one to circle back. I watched the show, when it was on. Now I watch other things. It was a good show for its time. I could see a movie, like the Sopranos would be more sensible to gain interest. I don't see viewers flocking back. 

I think House of the Dragon has the potential to be huge for HBO.  Not sure about other GOT spin-offs, though.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, proserpina65 said:

He really surprised me with how funny his SNL appearance was.

Now that I'm thinking about it, I saw him do a Jon Snow bit on Seth Meyers several years ago that surprised me with how amusing it was. 

• Love 7
On 6/17/2022 at 5:11 PM, Spartan Girl said:

Unless they resurrect Dany and make Bran the villain, I would rather jump out the Moon Door.

I'm pretty sure that the books would have ended with Bran as the villain, though the rest of the world might not know it. GRRM likely planned to have him overtaken by the Three-Eyed Raven and end up manipulating his way past Daenerys and Jon and into ruling Westeros. Benioff and Weiss were just too lazy and too eager to move on to their next project to tell the story.

Everything about that last season was written with an air of 'oh, just fucking get to the end, who cares if it makes sense.' So Dany goes mad in two episodes, Jon has to kill her and everyone forgets he's the rightful heir to the throne and decides to just make shit up and ensure there's another civil war when 'Bran the Broken' leaves no heir.

The worst thing about it, in my view, was the impact on Northern Ireland, which was building a tourist industry on rubes who wanted to see all the places the show was filmed, and then the show's ending killed a lot of the interest and nostalgia value. I'm sure there are a lot of people there really hoping that any tossed out spinoffs are successful.

• Like 1
  • Love 5
18 hours ago, Danny Franks said:

I'm pretty sure that the books would have ended with Bran as the villain, though the rest of the world might not know it. GRRM likely planned to have him overtaken by the Three-Eyed Raven and end up manipulating his way past Daenerys and Jon and into ruling Westeros. Benioff and Weiss were just too lazy and too eager to move on to their next project to tell the story.

No.  GRRM has said that Dany was the villain all along.  But I do believe I’ve read him stating that his plans are more laid out, long term.

Of course, many fans can point to the fact that Dany had villainous capabilities since S2, when she threatened to scorch Qarth and kill everyone in it.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, roamyn said:

No.  GRRM has said that Dany was the villain all along.  But I do believe I’ve read him stating that his plans are more laid out, long term.

Of course, many fans can point to the fact that Dany had villainous capabilities since S2, when she threatened to scorch Qarth and kill everyone in it.

To expand on my point - yes, Dany would have been a villain and that's why Jon would have to kill her. But she would likely have been at least partly manipulated into losing her mind by Bran, which is hinted at in the show when Bran reveals Jon's parentage but then it never really amounts to anything.

If the books were planned to end on 'Bran becomes king because he has a cool story' then they would be terrible books (though, the fourth and fifth books were pretty bad, so who knows?). It only really works if Bran is an active party in his own rise to power, removing his rivals and whispering in the right ears to arrange things the way he wants them to be. It fits the nihilistic vein of GRRM's writing and his constant use of the 'good guys finish last' trope.

Not that any of it really matters, because he's never finishing the books now, and the terrible writing of the last couple of seasons of the show is the only conclusion people are going to get.

• Like 3
On 7/3/2022 at 7:22 AM, Danny Franks said:

he worst thing about it, in my view, was the impact on Northern Ireland, which was building a tourist industry on rubes who wanted to see all the places the show was filmed, and then the show's ending killed a lot of the interest and nostalgia value.

I doubt the series finale had much of an effect on Northern Ireland's tourist industry.  A lot of viewers liked it.  Just because we aren't the loudest on the internet doesn't mean there aren't plenty of us out there.

On 7/4/2022 at 1:27 AM, roamyn said:

Exactly.  Long before Bran became the 3-Eyed Raven.

On 7/4/2022 at 4:08 AM, Danny Franks said:

If the books were planned to end on 'Bran becomes king because he has a cool story'

Okay, so THAT part was dumb.  It would've been better to say he was the right choice because he could see all the mistakes made in the past and avoid them.

• Love 3

If anything is worse than a reboot its the prequel. 🤬 I turned on YouTube and there in the recommended videos I see that they retconned my favorite Star Trek story, Balance of Terror with the Captain Pike prequel

• Useful 1
1 hour ago, Raja said:

If anything is worse than a reboot its the prequel. 🤬 I turned on YouTube and there in the recommended videos I see that they retconned my favorite Star Trek story, Balance of Terror with the Captain Pike prequel

Idk - Better Call Saul is excellent. Some consider it even better than Breaking Bad.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, Raja said:

If anything is worse than a reboot its the prequel.

Prequels are tricky since you have to make sure everything makes sense based on established lore.  Of course, the current crop of screenwriters have yet to do it correctly and end up retconning everything.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
On 7/15/2022 at 10:13 AM, Raja said:

If anything is worse than a reboot its the prequel. 🤬 

I’m withholding judgement, because while I hate the ‘new’ Walker, I am intrigued by the upcoming prequel, Walker Independence.  Not the least because Mark Shepherd will be in it.

• Love 2

The subject of Quantum Leap has come up before. EW has an article.
https://ew.com/tv/quantum-leap-nbc-preview-raymond-lee/?utm_campaign=entertainmentweekly_entertainmentweekly&utm_content=manual&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_term=62d569b3b16333000128d851&fbclid=IwAR132q1OMbhoCHgukIwpcYr8FklepAxyGMfDZVysygVJZ9dSB8AJOy1tPYE

I'm beside myself because it doesn't sound bad. I'm interested enough to watch a few episodes. It sounds like the showrunners were big fans. 

• Like 2

If anyone has ever read any fan fiction in their lives, I think we've all seen big fans of a show write fiction about that show that makes us feel like we're watching two different shows.  So yeah, just because they're fans doesn't mean it'll be a success.

And I do wish they had gone with the original premise of it being Sam's daughter doing the leaping.

That said, I do think this reboot (or sequel?) has potential, especially if they weave in some of the open-ended questions from the original series. 

• Love 3
4 minutes ago, DoctorAtomic said:

I read a Quantum Leap/Highlander fan fiction once. 

That would be a Quantum Leap reboot I'd perfer.  

Doctor Beckett finds himself leaping from television show to television show,striving to put right what once went wrong and hoping each time that his next leap...will be the leap that fixes Game of Thrones.

• Wink 1
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 11
  • Love 3
4 hours ago, ParadoxLost said:

That would be a Quantum Leap reboot I'd perfer.  

Doctor Beckett finds himself leaping from television show to television show,striving to put right what once went wrong and hoping each time that his next leap...will be the leap that fixes Game of Thrones.

Ok now this needs to be a fanfic!

GoT, Seinfeld, HIMYM, Sopranos, LOST, St. Elsewhere, Scrubs all those terrible finales. (tho I liked the LOST finale)

• Love 2

Has anyone heard if the Night Court revival that had a lot of talk last fall is actually still happening- or has  TPTB  since decided that  it wasn't worth bothering with after all?

FWIW, I'm hoping the latter has happened. 

• Love 2
On 7/15/2022 at 3:13 PM, Raja said:

It wasn't a retcon (the Pike show is set about 10 years before TOS). It was a glimpse at a possible alternate future designed to show how much worse that scenario might play out, in different circumstances, such as if the ship's captain who knows his own terrible future tries to alter that future in any way in order to evade the terribleness. He ended the episode having renewed his resolve not to try to change his own fate, which means that the TOS version of events remains intact and inviolate.

• Like 1
  • Useful 2
4 hours ago, Blergh said:

Has anyone heard if the Night Court revival that had a lot of talk last fall is actually still happening- or has  TPTB  since decided that  it wasn't worth bothering with after all?

FWIW, I'm hoping the latter has happened. 

It’s airing this fall.

• Sad 2
  • Useful 1
On 6/17/2022 at 3:45 PM, Zella said:

I'm really shocked Kit Harington is attached to it. I didn't hate the final season as much as the rest of the internet, but he had talked about having to go to rehab and just being in a very dark place mentally as the show wrapped up. Perhaps I read more into his words than he actually meant, but it seemed like a "never again!" thing to me. That or they offered him so much money he got over any objections. 

Maybe he's the type that needs steady work as a part of his sobriety. The "routine" and having somewhere to be. I could see the show wrapping up and not knowing what he was going to do next, if he would ever work again, being very difficult. 

I actually think a Jon Snow sequel COULD be good, if you stacked the Wildling characters with interesting persons, and had it be more of an "adventure story", fighting beasts and Jon integrating himself into the Wildling culture after the Battle Against the Night King- think Xena and Hercules back in the 90s.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

I think he might not be so dour now. It's been a while since I watched but I think he looked sort of happy to be entering the wild lands. Maybe getting out from under all his family BULLSHIT will be good for him. Anyhoo, I liked Jon's ending and will happily watch this spin off. The Targaryen one I'm not so sure about. I'm sure I'll be watching it too though, lol. 

• Love 3
22 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

If anyone has ever read any fan fiction in their lives, I think we've all seen big fans of a show write fiction about that show that makes us feel like we're watching two different shows.  So yeah, just because they're fans doesn't mean it'll be a success.

Like the old saying: you want a fan running the show, but not a fanboy.

• Like 1
  • Love 6
8 hours ago, festivus said:

The Targaryen one I'm not so sure about.

I can't get over how derpy Matt Smith looks in that wig in the stills I've seen. He looks like he wandered off the set of an improv skit I watched in a basement in college. 

I didn't hate the ending of the show as much as a lot of people, but I just am not particularly interested in any sequel/prequel/spinoff of GOT. If one of them ends up getting some positive buzz, I might change my mind but as of right now, it just seems like they've missed the cultural moment for that by about 5 years. 

• Like 1
  • Wink 1
  • Love 2

I said the same, and I didn't mind the finale. It was the logical conclusion narratively. I'm not seeing the pop culture momentum for GOT at this point as the perceived bas taste of the finale is really what lingers. I mean, you want to hit the spin off on a show like that within the year. 

• Love 3
On 7/18/2022 at 1:47 PM, magicdog said:

So were the people behind the Jem film, but they lied.  I feel like we're being set up.

I refused to watch that and the Fame reboot when I saw the trailers. Jem basically went for Josie and the Pussycats, but without the campy fun that made it work.

• Love 2
On 7/18/2022 at 7:44 PM, Irlandesa said:

Fanfiction writer and sometimes reader here. I definitely see fics and interpretations that make me feel like I watched the wrong thing, especially if a particular ship or character is loved by what seems the majority of the fanbase and is written in line with popular fandom opinions. I’m also sure that some people may think that of my fics, so whatever. (I write one character whose backstory is limited in canon due to her being recurring, though, so not too many people seem to care about how I see her, I would hope.) Also, it’s hard to find really good fanfic to read. Even some of my own stories I’d classify as honestly not that great now that I look at them.

Anyway. Topic. I ended up trying two episodes of A League of Their Own on Prime, and I’m not a fan. If they wanted to be fully original, it was silly to somewhat copy lines or scenes that are memorable and well-delivered in the movie and give them to actresses who can’t pull them off the way Geena Davis or Rosie O’Donnell could. Even the opening scene had a “running for the train” sequence. Sorry Carson/Abbi Jacobson, Dottie and Kit running for the train you are not. I think I just love the movie too much to really appreciate a series about it.

And no it’s not because I dislike lesbians or don’t support LGBT rights. I’ve written fluffy fic about lesbian couples. My sister just married a woman. I’ve supported gays being able to marry since New York made it legal. (I was visiting my other sister in the city when the news broke and I remember watching the news of all these happy couples lined up to wed and being thrilled for them.) I just…didn’t care for the premise of the Prime series. There’s no punch or passion of the movie. I feel like it’s OK to leave some great shows and movies in the past and not update them for the sake of doing so. 

• Love 2
3 hours ago, Cloud9Shopper said:

There’s no punch or passion of the movie.

I feel the exact opposite. I'm rewatching the movie now and realizing how sanitized it was. It's good. I still very much like it, but while I found the letter from the war department scene gut-wrenching, though even that became about Dottie, the rest is just a nice little story about a sibling rivalry and a drunk mans redemption set in the AAGPBL. 

The show has its flaws, I don't think the shows cast are outacted by the movie cast. Given how much more the movie cast probably cost, they should be better, but none of them blew me away. I will say I wasn't blown away by the actress who played Carson on the show, but I loved the rest of the cast. I thought Max was outstanding and the rest of the cast every bit as good as the movie. 

I love both the movie and the show for different reasons. More than most remakes/reboots, I do think this one was necessary as the show tells the story of the AAGPBL and the many women who played more so than the movie, which was more of a drama set in the league rather than a movie about the league. 

Given that the story of these women was nearly lost, I'm fine with there being more than one telling of this fascinating moment in time. 

• Love 6
42 minutes ago, Mabinogia said:

I love both the movie and the show for different reasons. More than most remakes/reboots, I do think this one was necessary as the show tells the story of the AAGPBL and the many women who played more so than the movie, which was more of a drama set in the league rather than a movie about the league. 

Given that the story of these women was nearly lost, I'm fine with there being more than one telling of this fascinating moment in time. 

Same.  Penny Marshall had to cut so much of the film for time.  The TV series can let us see so much more of the women's lives. 

The AAGPBL having quite a number of lesbian players yet working overtime to make sure the women were all perceived as straight is completely ignored by the film; all the characters are presented as straight, and the scene about having to take charm school classes to "be ladies" ignores the lest this be perceived as a league of dykes motivation behind it, and the scene of Doris talking about made to feel like a freak for liking sports (then considered exclusively a guy thing), it's noted she has a boyfriend.  While it's one of my favorite films and I love it bringing to mainstream attention a league most people didn't know/had forgotten ever existed, it does erase lesbians from the narrative.  It's nice the show gets into that.

Same with race; so many white writers and directors would have never even thought to include that great scene in the film where the black woman tosses the stray ball back to Dottie with one hell of an arm -- that this league which was a lifeline for some was closed off to others (who were even segregated as spectators in some cities) wouldn't have been considered for acknowledgment.  Marshall told the studio to get stuffed when that was suggested as another easy cut to save time.  But that's all there is.  The series, however, can get into that.

I think it was a terrific choice to - unlike the short-lived TV series that attempted to capitalize on the film's success back in the day - tell the stories of different characters, yet sprinkle in allusions to Dottie, Kit, etc. for those of us who know the film by heart and hold it dear.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Bastet said:

Marshall told the studio to get stuffed when that was suggested as another easy cut to save time.  But that's all there is.  The series, however, can get into that.

I do think that both the movie and the series are products of their time and medium. Film can't get as deep in the trenches as a series simply because it is only 2 hours vs 8 hours. Also, we are finally in a place in society where the mainstream media can tell an LGBTQ+ story with honesty. 

I rewatched the movie today and had honestly forgot that they made Rosie O'Donnell's character straight. Sadly, I think that if they movie had tried to have any of the women outwardly gay they movie wouldn't have gotten made. 

I tend to pretend that other sitcom was just a mass fever dream we all had. I think there must have been something in the water that month and we were all collectively hallucinating. 

• Like 1
  • Love 4
8 minutes ago, Mabinogia said:

I rewatched the movie today and had honestly forgot that they made Rosie O'Donnell's character straight.

Originally, Doris and Mae were very similar.  O'Donnell tried out for Marla, but Megan Cavanaugh was too utterly perfect in that role not to cast, yet Marshall wanted to make a place for O'Donnell.  She wasn't right for Doris as written, so Doris was revamped (which I think makes the Mae/Doris friendship interesting, although it would also have been cool to see two Mae types as friends).  They should have omitted the boyfriend reference, though.

11 minutes ago, Mabinogia said:

Sadly, I think that if they movie had tried to have any of the women outwardly gay they movie wouldn't have gotten made. 

But, anyway, yes - none of the characters were written as gay, despite the realities of the league, and in 1992 that was something of a box office necessity (look what happened to Fried Green Tomatoes when it was adapted from novel to script, although, bless the actors and director played the love story honestly).

So, yeah, it's the difference in medium and the difference in audience sensibility - both real and exaggerated by nervous execs - that accounts for the differences between the film and this series.

• Like 3
4 minutes ago, Bastet said:

They should have omitted the boyfriend reference, though.

I have a feeling that was a studio must since it really is the only reference to Doris' sexuality. It really didn't add much to the story and seemed to only be there to prove the character was just another "wholesome" straight woman. 

Two Mae's would have been interesting, but I did like the Mae/Doris friendship very much, which is amusing because I don't care for either of them as actresses.

• Like 2
7 minutes ago, Bastet said:

But, anyway, yes - none of the characters were written as gay, despite the realities of the league, and in 1992 that was something of a box office necessity (look what happened to Fried Green Tomatoes when it was adapted from novel to script, although, bless the actors and director played the love story honestly).

I caught a snippet from Rosie talking about shooting the movie, and she revealed that Penny was a driving force in removing any trace of lesbian subtext from the film.  I saw this on I think Tik-Tok.  Apparently, Doris's big speech required many takes due to Rosie having a difficult time playing Doris as straight.   Rosie kept on coming off as too butch for Penny. 

Yeah, Fried Green Tomatoes just oozed lesbian subtext.  My nine year old ass did not have a word to describe Idgie back when I first saw it, but I knew she wasn't straight and that she was always in love with Ruth.  

• Like 2
  • Useful 4
On 8/20/2022 at 2:59 AM, Anduin said:

In probably unsurprising news, the BVTS reboot is dead. I'd forgotten all about it. But now reminded, I'm a bit sad. There was some good stuff in the original, despite Whedon being in the doghouse these days. Maybe another urban fantasy show will explore similar material.

I have mixed feelings about this. I love Buffy, and the fact that it's already been in two different but really good live forms bodes well. At the same time, I get the distinct feeling they were going to make Buffy more of a Katniss Everdeen type (i.e. sullen, hostile, and anti-girlie) which just wouldn't have been Buffy for me. It's the fact that Buffy remains a upbeat and fun Valley Girl despite everything being so dark is what makes the material work so well. If you take away that core of her personality it's not Buffy and you might as well have her be a different slayer. In any event I can't see it happening anytime soon because of Whedon's name being scummed out now. Although wouldn't it have been awesome if you had a Buffy, but she was a Buffy named in honor of Buffy Summers? Hopefully by Chantille/Anne?

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Like 5
  • Mind Blown 1
21 hours ago, methodwriter85 said:

If you take away that core of her personality it's not Buffy and you might as well have her be a different slayer.

Agreed!  They have plenty of history in the show's bible to choose a slayer from who isn't Buffy, and still has to do her duty while dealing with the culture she lives in.  They should call it, "The Slayer Chronicles" or something like that, in which we could meet a different slayer each season.

• Like 4
  • Love 2

That's like when they want to reboot Highlander with another 'Highlander'. Just taking the first movie and tv show, they created a really expansive universe. You can just create a character. Exploring the themes would essentially be the same. You have literally all of time.

• Like 1
On 8/24/2022 at 8:02 PM, JustHereForFood said:

A different slayer is the only way I can see a reboot/revival of Buffy working. But I can live without it.

I mean, Disney apparently owns it now so they can do whatever they want, but they can't really scrub Joss Whedon's name off the show and I don't think it's worth it to them to try. Remember, Buffy was still at the end of the day a cult movie and a niche tv show. You can't expect this IP to be turned into a movie franchise that earns a billion at the box office or a tv show binged by tens of millions of people on Disney Plus/Hulu. 

The only hook they seem to have for a reboot is "But what if Buffy was black?", and I'm just like, "I really don't think that's enough reason to justify a reboot." Especially if we're talking about a story that's already been told twice.

If they want to change up the background for Buffy (say make her from a rough background instead of a spoiled Valley girl), they should go with the MJ approach that Spiderman went with.

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1