Type keyword(s) to search

F-U, Reboot-Mania: Express Your Hate Here

• Start Topic

14 hours ago, Zella said:

Just read about this and was coming to see if anyone had posted about it.

I've been watching the original and enjoying it. I wish they would find an unadapted property, but if it is closer to the books than the 70s show, I might be interested. But I doubt it.

Minus the blackface scene in one of the books. That doesn't need to be there. I don't think they did that on the 70's show, either.  If they get far enough (I doubt it), I wonder how they're treat Laura dating a man in his 20's. Hopefully they don't still have her in pigtails like they did on Little House when she starts flirting with Almanzo, who really did look too old for her. If they're smart they'll cast Almanzo with a babyfaced 25-year old.

Also, apparently All My Children is being revived as a prime time format on ABC called Pine Valley? This is apparently being spearheaded by Kelly Ripa and Mark Consuelos. I did think they'd try with another Hulu series. Soapy rich people dramas aren't really working for networks right now, so I'm not optimistic about this working, but it'd be cool to see if they can make it work. Those kind of dramas seem to be mostly the domain of streamers and cable networks, though.

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Love 4
5 hours ago, Kromm said:

No hate. It's actually a good idea.  Law firms actually have continuity over periods this long.  

I agree but I hope any remake addresses what became of Blair Underwood's character even if he doesn't make any appearances. The 2002 update TV movie not only didn't have him on but IIRC didn't address 'what became of' that character.  

Regardless, IMO it ultimately was more satisfying and rewarding than The Practice (and that's not even counting how they turned the whole cast into James Spader's wallpaper at the end) so I'd be interested to see how that firm would be faring in the '20s! 

• Love 1
4 hours ago, merylinkid said:

Ugh to the LA Law reboot.   Can you imagine Arnie doing his thing THESE days?   Or all the sleeping around?    Just ... no.   

On the other hand, Night Court might work.   As long as they stick to comedy and not try to make it "edgier" which usually means more sex and explosions.   Although I agree with whoever said the last 2-3 seasons were terrible.   Mostly because they tried to make it about Harry and Christine will they or won't they instead of about the antics of running night court and the "interesting" characters who wind up there.

See, from what I've read about law firms, I think Arnie's antic could actually still be happening if he were a money making partner.  I think Dan Fielding's antics would be harder to pull off.   But both shows would need to take a more critical eye.

But I do think most of the lawyers could be of the retired age so I don't anticipate a ton of the same people. 

2 hours ago, Blergh said:

I agree but I hope any remake addresses what became of Blair Underwood's character even if he doesn't make any appearances.

Blair Underwood is spearheading this and will star.  Safe to say, it will be addressed if it makes it to air.

• Love 4

Has anyone here seen any version of The Bridge TV series? I ask, because it's up to five remakes if you include the one with the Channel Tunnel and not a bridge. Why does it keep getting foreign versions? Five remakes in under ten years. Is that a record? Okay, various reality TV shows got exported pretty quickly. But for fiction it has to be a record.

I saw the American one on FX. I know it was set on a bridge (obvs) between USA and Mexico, but thought it was El Paso/Juarez. The leads were really good, and I liked the show. (Not light fare fyi). 

The lead guy was Demián Bichir, and he was a mess. I don't remember the lead lady, but I think she had autism (the character).

Still cracks me up - 'I know what a MILF is. I don't have kids.'

• Love 3
24 minutes ago, giovannif7 said:

A Season 7 of Sex and the City - without Samantha? I can already picture the over-the-top opening funeral scene...

Has any revival really worked? Mostly it feels like they come back, are mediocre and kill any interest in seeing more of the characters. 

The most successful is probably Roseanne but once it became The Conners it’s more of a spin-off than a revival. 

16 minutes ago, DearEvette said:

Hawaii Five-O is pretty successful.  It is easy because it is a procedural, and well, Hawaii.

Probably the best, imo, was Battlestar Galactica.  I wonder would that be considered the very first Gritty Reboot?

To me both of those are reboots and there are a lot of reboots I would consider to be successful. 

I can’t thing of any successful revivals where the same actors playing the same main characters come back. 

13 minutes ago, Dani said:

To me both of those are reboots and there are a lot of reboots I would consider to be successful. 

I can’t thing of any successful revivals where the same actors playing the same main characters come back. 

Ah, gotcha.  The only one I can think of is possibly Will and Grace.   Or maybe Fuller House. But yeah they don't do that well.  And  good lord, Sex and The City just no.

Edited by DearEvette
15 minutes ago, DearEvette said:

Ah, gotcha.  The only one I can think of is possibly Will and Grace.   Or maybe Fuller House. But yeah they don't do that well.  And  good lord, Sex and The City just no.

It might be because I couldn’t make it through the first episode but I had the impression the Will & Grace limped through the revival. 

I didn’t even think of Fuller House. I wonder if shows that appeal to kids are more likely to successfully be revived or rebooted. The only people I know who watched Fuller House were kids and pre-teens. 

Edited by Guest

Fuller House is really popular among the patrons at the library where I work, and it baffles me. I want to ask questions when I see it checked out, but I don't. My guess is it would have to be people who watched the original show as kids. My brother and I weren't huge fans, but we did watch it a fair amount. My dad had a high tolerance for a lot of what we watched, but he hated Full House so much he'd leave the room if it was on. I couldn't imagine sitting through it myself either anymore, let alone Fuller House

Edited by Zella
  • Love 2
25 minutes ago, Zella said:

Fuller House is really popular among the patrons at the library where I work, and it baffles me. I want to ask questions when I see it checked out, but I don't. My guess is it would have to be people who watched the original show as kids. My brother and I weren't huge fans, but we did watch it a fair amount. My dad had a high tolerance for a lot of what we watched, but he hated Full House so much he'd leave the room if it was on. I couldn't imagine sitting through it myself either anymore, let alone Fuller House

Doesn't Candace Cameron also come loaded with devoted followings of both Hallmark Channel romance movies and Bible thumper types who would tune in to whatever she's on? 

• Love 3
1 minute ago, Kromm said:

Doesn't Candace Cameron also come loaded with devoted followings of both Hallmark Channel romance movies and Bible thumper types who would tune in to whatever she's on? 

That probably accounts for a good chunk of the viewers! 

• Love 1
54 minutes ago, Kromm said:

So I guess Cynthia Nixon wasn't really all that serious about that politics thing? 

I mean geez lady. You lose getting the second most powerful gubanatorial seat in the country after California and you call it a day rather than maybe try Congress? Dabler... 

Perhaps she is a fan of her local representation and doesn’t want to move. Or didn’t like the process of running.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, Kromm said:

Regarding the bolded: Candace Cameron Bure actually stars in a Hallmark mystery movie franchise about a character named Aurora Teegarden, not their romance movies. At least she’s not in the romance movies as a rule, though she may have also done a few of those.

• Love 2
6 minutes ago, BW Manilowe said:

Regarding the bolded: Candace Cameron Bure actually stars in a Hallmark mystery movie franchise about a character named Aurora Teegarden, not their romance movies. At least she’s not in the romance movies as a rule, though she may have also done a few of those.

She does at least one a year---usually a Christmas movie. 

• Love 2

Fuller House had a pretty decent run, especially for Netflix.

I didn't watch it, but there was also a 1980's revival of Leave It To Beaver that had a pretty decent run in first run syndication.

Girl Meets World had SO much potential, and there were moments where they were really good, but the main problem with that show is Riley was treated like the sun shone out of her ass, and that wasn't true with Cory on Boy Meets World. It also violated the "show, don't tell" rule a lot.

• Love 2
20 hours ago, Kromm said:

So I guess Cynthia Nixon wasn't really all that serious about that politics thing? 

I mean geez lady. You lose getting the second most powerful gubanatorial seat in the country after California and you call it a day rather than maybe try Congress? Dabler... 

Or maybe even “smaller” potatoes where you could have an important albeit not recognized by media effect such as city council member or member of the local school board.....

• Love 1
On 12/23/2020 at 5:38 AM, Irlandesa said:

I liked the Dallas revival but Larry Hagman's death pretty much took out any steam that show had.

That and the show was like a terrible Mexican soap opera with all the screen time they kept giving to Elena and her stupid mother and brother and the quest to find out what happened to Papis land. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 4
On 12/27/2020 at 12:05 PM, Avabelle said:

That and the show was like a terrible Mexican soap opera with all the screen time they kept giving to Elena and her stupid mother and brother and the quest to find out what happened to Papis land. 

And I don’t think they ever did find out, did they?

• Useful 1

Kate & Allie reboot gets a put pilot order. Actually, I wouldn't mind seeing a continuation of this 80s classic, with the daughters from the original show, Jennie and Emma, following in the footsteps of their moms - maybe with a 21st century updating twist or two from the basic concept. That would allow guest shots from the other original cast members that are available - I see Jane Curtin and Susan Saint James are both still actively working as of 2020.

• Love 3
5 minutes ago, giovannif7 said:

Kate & Allie reboot gets a put pilot order. Actually, I wouldn't mind seeing a continuation of this 80s classic, with the daughters from the original show, Jennie and Emma, following in the footsteps of their moms - maybe with a 21st century updating twist or two from the basic concept. That would allow guest shots from the other original cast members that are available - I see Jane Curtin and Susan Saint James are both still actively working as of 2020.

If that is the premise, that would be awesome. I really liked the show.

If it’s another lame reboot then it will probably go the way of other reboots.

There are a lot of original voices out there, so this constant reboot of shows is annoy and lame, I am sure that there are brilliant writers with unique concepts eager to have an opportunity.

• Love 5
4 minutes ago, Stats Queen said:

There are a lot of original voices out there, so this constant reboot of shows is annoy and lame, I am sure that there are brilliant writers with unique concepts eager to have an opportunity.

Of course, the question here may be whether Jennie and Emma if not their respective mothers will be strictly platonic friends or will this New Millennial rendition have one or both pairs turn out to be  more than just friends. It  should be interesting to see what they have in mind here. 

• Love 1
22 minutes ago, Stats Queen said:

I go back and forth.  In reality, Kate and Allie is actually a really simple concept.  Two single moms sharing a house together after their divorces.  They actually wouldn't need to reboot any previous concept.  I think they're doing so for the name recognition. 

It's also the kind of premise that will last longer than more unique/high concept ideas. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
14 hours ago, Blergh said:

Of course, the question here may be whether Jennie and Emma if not their respective mothers will be strictly platonic friends or will this New Millennial rendition have one or both pairs turn out to be  more than just friends. It  should be interesting to see what they have in mind here. 

It seems to have been forgotten that Allie had a son as well as a daughter - Chip.  In fact, there was an episode set in the future in which a grown Chip and his own son have a chat and reminisce about his childhood before the building (the Greenwich Village flat K&A shared) was torn down.

Honestly, K&A wasn't really breaking new ground even in the 80s when it debuted.  The Lucy Show did the exact basic premise (two single moms sharing a house and raising their families together).  The only difference was Lucy's show was a bit closer to her comedic antics.   It certainly wouldn't do being so now.  Even if the characters (either or both) were made gay instead of straight, it's essentially been seen before.  

I wouldn't mind a miniseries maybe to play catch up with the characters, but really, no one is asking for this.  

• Love 4
2 hours ago, magicdog said:

Honestly, K&A wasn't really breaking new ground even in the 80s when it debuted. 

This is why I don't see the point. What made Kate and Allie great was the chemistry of the cast. Unless this is Jane Curtin and Susan St. James reprising their roles in a kind of a Golden Girls, emptied the nest, widowed, looking to share expenses but just two women scenario, I just don't see the point. 

• Love 4
On 12/27/2020 at 12:05 PM, Avabelle said:

I thought the younger set of the show was all-around pretty weak. And that stupid mustache they insisted on having Josh Henderson wear! I did like that he and Sue Ellen looked like they could have been related.

I didn't watch the OG show so to me, Patrick Duffy is Frank Lambert from Step by Step and it was funny to see him in a drama.

Anyway, the reaction people are having about the Steve/Diana storyline

Spoiler

from Wonder Woman 1984 where Steve takes over the body of the guy from Life Unexpected and a shit ton of Hallmark movies

is really making me think about my wish to see Quantum Leap rebooted. Even though the show established that Sam never actually takes over the body of the person he's helping, there's still all kinds of questions I now have about consent because Sam does have sex with people in the show who are under the impression that he's somebody else. The show for the time did a pretty good job about consent (the episode explicitly about rape as well as the episode where Sam avoids having sex with a model who is high on drugs) but he does still have sex with characters who don't know what he really looks like or who he is. Maybe a modern Quantum Leap could avoid having Sam taking over other bodies, or just completely de-emphasize romance?

At this point the closest to Quantum Leap I think we're going to see is Timeless, which only ran for about 26 episodes anyway.

Edited by methodwriter85

That's a fair point that I wouldn't argue, but didn't they make a case that he kind of has to become that person, so in a sense, he is? Wasn't he pregnant at one point?

My QL reboot is that his daughter from the Trilogy gets some mysterious notes from a Mr. Callavicci and restarts the accelerator with a new 'AL'; (maybe it's an android now!) in search of her dad once she learns the truth. 

3 hours ago, Mabinogia said:

This is why I don't see the point. What made Kate and Allie great was the chemistry of the cast. Unless this is Jane Curtin and Susan St. James reprising their roles in a kind of a Golden Girls, emptied the nest, widowed, looking to share expenses but just two women scenario, I just don't see the point. 

I would watch a Kate and Allie: The Golden Years revival.

• Love 6
56 minutes ago, DoctorAtomic said:

Wasn't he pregnant at one point?

He was.  

57 minutes ago, DoctorAtomic said:

My QL reboot is that his daughter from the Trilogy gets some mysterious notes from a Mr. Callavicci and restarts the accelerator with a new 'AL'; (maybe it's an android now!) in search of her dad once she learns the truth.

I always had a problem with the Trilogy woman being Sam's daughter since Sam's [soul or consciousness] is swapped for that of another person so the kid born in that relationship should genetically be that of the person Sam temporarily replaced, not Sam Beckett's.  

8 hours ago, magicdog said:

He was.  

I always had a problem with the Trilogy woman being Sam's daughter since Sam's [soul or consciousness] is swapped for that of another person so the kid born in that relationship should genetically be that of the person Sam temporarily replaced, not Sam Beckett's.  

It was sort of the other way around as I remember it.  Bodies actually changed places, so Sam physically replaced whomever he leaped "into".  But their "aura" stayed behind, which is why he looked/sounded like that person and had their reflection.  (Which is how Sam got "pregnant" that one time: he leaped into the mother, but the baby, as a separate person, stayed behind.)  So Sam would truly be the genetic father of the girl from Trilogy.

They did the same in reverse for the rare times we saw someone in the "Waiting Room" at QLHQ.  The person Sam "was" was there, but looked like Sam to Al and everyone else in the future year of 1999.  Which was played to interesting effect when Sam leaped into a escaped serial killer.  Said killer, "wearing" Sam's aura, broke out of QLHQ and almost started a new spree.

• Love 2
46 minutes ago, SVNBob said:

It was sort of the other way around as I remember it.  Bodies actually changed places, so Sam physically replaced whomever he leaped "into".  But their "aura" stayed behind, which is why he looked/sounded like that person and had their reflection.  (Which is how Sam got "pregnant" that one time: he leaped into the mother, but the baby, as a separate person, stayed behind.)  So Sam would truly be the genetic father of the girl from Trilogy.

Yeah, that's how I remember it as well. It's not exactly the same as the Steve/Diana situation from 

Spoiler

Wonder Woman 84 where he's taken over the body of Handsome Guy, but 

I am really questioning now if the show could have the same set-up now given the issues about consent that are being raised now. The show, to its credit, generally avoided having Sam actually have sex with someone that was in a pre-existing marriage or whatever to the persona that Sam takes on. Still though, Sam does have sexual relationships with people that don't know what he looks like, and in some cases, knew the persona that Sam takes on, so it really makes me question things now in a way that I wasn't before watching 

Spoiler

the Steve Trevor situation in WW84.

• Love 1
On 1/29/2021 at 7:27 PM, Stats Queen said:

Regarding the bolded, & apologizing for probably repeating myself,  because I know I have said this somewhere upthread before, but it’s true: The problem with original material is, eventually enough of the audience doesn’t like it enough to say, “This show’s crap! I wish they’d bring back this show, or that show”. Then that’s what the networks do, & the audience then says, “I hated this show when it was on 5 years ago & I don’t like it any  better now; doesn’t somebody have a new idea for a TV show?” And the thing about that is, there isn’t an infinite number of ideas, or people’s life stories, on which you can base creative media, such as TV shows, movies, or books. You’re damned if you do, & damned if you don’t. It’s a Catch-22.

• Useful 2
  • Love 4
8 minutes ago, BW Manilowe said:

there isn’t an infinite number of ideas, or people’s life stories, on which you can base creative media, such as TV shows, movies, or books. You’re damned if you do, & damned if you don’t. It’s a Catch-22.

I remember reading that there is no such thing as a "new idea".  They'd been used up since Shakespere's time.  The best thing one can do (as a writer, playwright, etc.) is use an idea and put a new spin on it.  Casting helps too since some older shows I've revisited weren't necessarily well written but the chemistry of the cast was off the charts enough to make it popular during its run and remembered fondly decades later, but not holding up well when reviewed overall.  

Probably why the Tropes page is so engrossing.

• Love 7
2 hours ago, magicdog said:

Casting helps too since some older shows I've revisited weren't necessarily well written but the chemistry of the cast was off the charts enough to make it popular during its run and remembered fondly decades later, but not holding up well when reviewed overall.  

That's the biggest risk with remakes for me. 90% of the time it is the cast that get me hooked on a show. I have never watched a whole season of a show where I didn't like the cast no matter how good the premise is. I have books if all I want is a good story. Kate and Allie is a great example. The premise is extremely basic but it was the chemistry between the two actresses that had me watching week after week. 

Now, there are the rare reboots that are actually inspired, like Fresh Prince. Yes, it is banking on name recognition, but it is a very fresh retelling of the story. I think One Day at a Time going with a Latino family is a fresh twist on that story and gives some much needed representation. 

I think the reboot of Will and Grace was misguided. That was very much a show of it's time and I LOVED it in it's time, but they didn't update it enough, the characters were still 90s/00s characters in a 10s world and it was nostalgic but off. 

Reboots and remakes can work, but only if the concept is updated or changed enough to make the stories new, not just the same show with different actors or the same actors/characters telling the same stories they did originally. 

• Love 5
2 hours ago, Mabinogia said:

I think One Day at a Time going with a Latino family is a fresh twist on that story and gives some much needed representation. 

And had another terrific cast that worked together beautifully.  I wound up liking the reboot even more than the original with that one.

• Love 6
20 hours ago, giovannif7 said:

the show was very much a product of the day - I don't know that a slow-moving off-the-wall bonkers soap opera parody will hold much appeal for a 2021/2022 audience.

Especially since soaps as many of us knew them have all but vanished from TV.  A better option would be a parody of those angsty, broody, dark and edgy CW shows!  

• Love 4

Schitt'$ Creek's Emily Hampshire to headline a reboot of Norman Lear's Mary Hartman Mary Hartman... I remember the original well, and Emily is great at the dry, deadpan delivery that the original MH Louise Lasser brought to the role. But the show was very much a product of the day - I don't know that a slow-moving off-the-wall bonkers soap opera parody will hold much appeal for a 2021/2022 audience.

Of course, in retrospect it somewhat was helped by the fact that Miss Lasser was a bit of a trainwreck at that time of her life but I'm not sure it would be worth seeking out another talented performer with similar issues. Now, if they could find another Dodie Goodman to play Mary's flaky and ostrichheaded mother (who no doubt was a major contributing factor to Mary's MO) , that might help.

Schitt'$ Creek's Emily Hampshire to headline a reboot of Norman Lear's Mary Hartman Mary Hartman... I remember the original well, and Emily is great at the dry, deadpan delivery that the original MH Louise Lasser brought to the role. But the show was very much a product of the day - I don't know that a slow-moving off-the-wall bonkers soap opera parody will hold much appeal for a 2021/2022 audience.

44 minutes ago, magicdog said:

Especially since soaps as many of us knew them have all but vanished from TV.  A better option would be a parody of those angsty, broody, dark and edgy CW shows!  

Reading the articles on this, it sounds like they're picking up the theme of mocking the American consumerism culture of the original rather than the soap opera parody of the original.  It looks like she's going to be an unintentional influencer/social media start in this version.

I had never heard of the show so I looked it up.  It was actually aired daily like a real soap opera?  Amazing.

• Useful 2
8 minutes ago, Irlandesa said:

Reading the articles on this, it sounds like they're picking up the theme of mocking the American consumerism culture of the original rather than the soap opera parody of the original.  It looks like she's going to be an unintentional influencer/social media start in this version.

I had never heard of the show so I looked it up.  It was actually aired daily like a real soap opera?  Amazing.

Yes, Mary Hartman Mary Hartman was scheduled 5 days a week, although the adult content meant that it aired at 11 PM (at least in my area.) Prior to the show, Louise Lasser was best known for her work with / marriage to Woody Allen. MH MH quickly became a pop culture phenomenon when it debuted in 1976, and Louise Lasser / Mary Hartman became an instantly recognizable household name and face. Word on the street was that the pressures of the grueling schedule and intense public scrutiny led to exhaustion and other issues, and Lasser left the show after filming 325 episodes in less than 2 years.

5 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

They just made her out to be dumber and more shallow than she was on the original show

That's disappointing. She had a lot of growth during that college year before her Vegas wedding. It sounds like they turned her into a Real Housewives wannabe. I'd rather see Valerie Malone anyway, although BH90210 failed so we won't see TAT/Val again.

11 hours ago, methodwriter85 said:

I'd rather see Valerie Malone anyway

I think she was even better as Elizabeth Burke in White Collar.  One of the few TV wives who didn't whine and complain because her FBI agent husband had to answer the call of duty during their marriage.

• Useful 1
  • Love 8