Type keyword(s) to search

F-U, Reboot-Mania: Express Your Hate Here

• Start Topic

I’m glad in a way that I’m fans of two shows that will likely never be rebooted, ER and Glee, and I’m OK with that.

An ER reboot would be fun to see for the nostalgia element, especially since I haven’t found another medical show I’ve enjoyed as much since. (I like New Amsterdam but it’s no ER.) But at the same time, I’m on S15 on Hulu now and some of those late seasons and episodes were dreadful and miserable. Leave it alone. 

I’m rewatching Glee for the second time and also think it should be left alone for reasons similar to ER, although it’s also weird now that three of the main cast members are dead. And now that I’m in my mid 30s for this rewatch, I can already see problems with it. (I mean, Rachel leaked Quinn’s pregnancy to a blogger and then pretends she’s such a good friend to her and wants to sing a song. Will specifically names Quinn as his pregnant student in a convo with his wife. Why was it so important to say who she was instead of protecting her privacy?)

Someone a few pages back mentioned Fuller House. I did enjoy that one, although I don’t recall that I was a huge fan of Full House as a kid. I did think the cast still had good chemistry and some of the storylines were done well. Although I didn’t particularly like Fernando. From what I read online, a lot of viewers found the show to be family friendly and wholesome. (I also have to admit I liked the boy band member cameos but I grew up in the 90s and saw a Backstreet Boys/New Kids concert about 10 years ago, so yeah, guilty pleasure.) 

The Saved by the Bell reboot started slow for me but I enjoyed it by the end. Original SBTB is pretty awful now that I watch that as an adult, and I watched it all the time before school when I was a teenager.

I’m looking forward to the League of Their Own show and what direction that takes.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

'‘Fresh Prince of Bel-Air’ Drama Update at Peacock Changes Showrunners'

Showrunner Chris Collins is moving out of Bel-Air.

Peacock’s drama update of The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air has parted ways with Collins as sources say the Will Smith-produced series is going in a slightly different creative direction. Collins’ two top lieutenants, T.J. Brady and Rasheed Newson, are taking over as co-showrunners.

Originally eyed to premiere this year, Peacock landed the dramatic reboot inspired by Morgan Cooper’s viral video in September with a two-season order following a fierce bidding war that included bids from Netflix and HBO Max. The series, which is now expected to bow in 2022, has not yet begun casting. ...

Thought this would have been farther along in production by now.

• Love 5
8 minutes ago, Trini said:

IMO, this was Miss Martin's most likable character and most believable role (sorry, IMO but her starring role in Christy (1994) was such a fail it made the 1974 Little House on the Prairie series a documentary by comparison after the promising TV movie pilot) so why not? And, yes, I would be interested in how her character's now-middle aged Down's Syndrome older brother (played by the performer Chris Burke with the same challenge) would be faring.

I only hope Miss Martin can somehow persuade her Patti Lupone and Bill Smitrovich to at least make cameos as their aging parents ( and, perhaps get Miss Lupone  to be at least minimally civil to Mr. Smitrovich who she dissed in her autobio).  Also, hopefully, Miss Martin may see if her older half-sister's character might have settled down or at least not been such a trainwreck re romances while zooming towards late  middle age and, perhaps even consider how her younger (then) baby brother may be faring as an adult. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, Trini said:

OMG, I kind of hated myself for it, but I could not stand that show!  At all.  (I was in high school, and my parents watched it, so I saw quite a few episodes of it.)  Kellie Martin annoyed the ever-lovin' shit out of me (and did so in virtually everything I ever saw her in, so there's just something about her that doesn't gel for me), I didn't warm to Corky, and I didn't even particularly enjoy Patti LuPone.

So, since this will apparently be centered around Becca (why?!), I will not be watching, but I'll once again applaud from afar for representation of a character with Down Syndrome, played by an actor with Down Syndrome, on TV (a first then and still too uncommon now).  Assuming Corky will be featured, of course - why the hell does that article just talk about Becca and how dead Jesse will, duh, not appear?

• Love 7

They apparently want to reboot Drop Dead Diva, but this time with a 20-something man having to live as a middle-aged woman.

I don't hate it, per se, but I feel like "man has to live as a woman" swap stories have been doing so many times I'm not really sure what else can be said about it, unless they decide to twist it and have David gender transition. That could be interesting, but then it would also step into a political minefield.

I kind of wish they had gone with a shallow Logan Paul-like influencer being forced into the body of a 40-something lawyer instead, keeping it closer to the themes of the original.

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Love 4
On 9/15/2021 at 8:01 PM, methodwriter85 said:

They apparently want to reboot Drop Dead Diva, but this time with a 20-something man having to live as a middle-aged woman.

GAH!!!

No!  If they want to do a reboot, let it be similar to the original in that a 20 something model/aspiring actor is put into the body of a portly 40+ year old man.  For good measure, have the 20 something guy single and a player, while the older man is [happily] married with a family.  THAT would be a good adjustment to watch.  Not watching a guy struggle to wear high heels.

• Love 3
3 minutes ago, magicdog said:

GAH!!!

No!  If they want to do a reboot, let it be similar to the original in that a 20 something model/aspiring actor is put into the body of a portly 40+ year old man.  For good measure, have the 20 something guy single and a player, while the older man is [happily] married with a family.  THAT would be a good adjustment to watch.  Not watching a guy struggle to wear high heels.

I just feel like that's been done so many times in so many ways. "Guy learns about sexism by becoming female" is so incredibly overused at this point, whether it's by a body change or a good ol' wig and heels.

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Love 4
On 9/19/2021 at 7:56 AM, Cloud9Shopper said:

Not a planned reboot, but no, please no more episodes of Glee. Some shows really are just better left in the past. 

https://www.justjared.com/2021/09/09/will-glee-return-to-television-heres-what-the-fox-president-just-said/

I can see all the scandals and premature deaths around that cast maybe keeping a lid on reboots. The name doesn't exactly evoke positive images now. I imagine 7th Heaven hasn't been brought back for similar reasons. You KNOW Brenda Hampton would bring back 7th Heaven in a heartbeat.

• Love 6
8 hours ago, methodwriter85 said:

I can see all the scandals and premature deaths around that cast maybe keeping a lid on reboots. The name doesn't exactly evoke positive images now. I imagine 7th Heaven hasn't been brought back for similar reasons. You KNOW Brenda Hampton would bring back 7th Heaven in a heartbeat.

I do still enjoy the songs but honestly I’m not really in the fandom at this point otherwise. I was trying another rewatch and made it up to season 2 but the show doesn’t feel the same to me anymore. (I’m also in my mid 30s, so it probably feels a little too extra for me now—which I didn’t feel in my 20s—but that’s another discussion.) 

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Cloud9Shopper said:

I do still enjoy the songs but honestly I’m not really in the fandom at this point otherwise. I was trying another rewatch and made it up to season 2 but the show doesn’t feel the same to me anymore. (I’m also in my mid 30s, so it probably feels a little too extra for me now—which I didn’t feel in my 20s—but that’s another discussion.) 

It's really hard watching the show knowing it was built around the Rachel/Finn endgame and knowing it abruptly ends and why. Then there's having to watch Santana and knowing about the horrific end that Naya had, and then...you know, Puck. Ugh.

I did manage to watch the show to the end (although I did skip a lot) during the OG run, but I haven't rewatched the whole show in syndication or streaming and I'm not sure if I want to.

Anyway, Scott Backula has once again teased the idea of a Quantum Leap reboot, but I don't know. It feels too late. If we were going to do this, it should have been about 15 years ago.

• Love 8
1 hour ago, DoctorAtomic said:

A 'next generation' Quantum Leap would make more sense. 

Maybe this should go in the unpopular opinion thread, but I have no interest in any 'next generation' remake of Quantum Leap, or any other show for that matter.  I watched QL for the relationship between Sam and Al, so I have no desire to watch a version that focuses on Sammi Jo and has the original characters do a cameo at best.  

• Love 9
22 hours ago, Rose Quartz said:

Maybe this should go in the unpopular opinion thread, but I have no interest in any 'next generation' remake of Quantum Leap, or any other show for that matter.  I watched QL for the relationship between Sam and Al, so I have no desire to watch a version that focuses on Sammi Jo and has the original characters do a cameo at best.  

I mean, from all accounts, Dean Stockwell is now 85 years old and he's not a healthy 85 years old and so I can't see him showing up unless it's Al on his death bed.

The closest thing I've seen to a modern Quantum Leap is Timeless, and that show only ran for about 25-30 episodes. The concept is pretty expensive and it was a struggle to get QL to last as long as it did.

I mean, there's Dr. Who but it never had the preachy, earnest tone that QL had, and they didn't sink nearly the kind of budget that QL did in order to recreate each time period.

I'd love to see one t.v. movie to wrap things up and finally get Sam home, but that should have happened in 2005 or so. QL doesn't seem to still be running in syndication anymore (you can still see it Roku) and I'm not sure there's enough of a demand for it.

If they do have a Sammi Jo, I hope they consider Abigail Spencer. I know she already did Timeless but she did it damn well and she looked great in period clothes.

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Love 3
14 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

It is. It's running on one of channels on cable--on Xfnitity. I'm blanking on the name.

Comet which is a channel that's also on a couple of free streaming apps along with having a live feed on their website.

44 minutes ago, SmithW6079 said:

‘Night Court’ Sequel Starring Melissa Rauch & John Larroquette Lands Series Order At NBC

No.

Melissa Rauch plays Harry Stone's daughter? Did he and Christine get married and have a kid once the show ended?  

Will Melissa Rauch at least speak like a normal person and not Minnie Mouse? The voice she used as Bernadette was like nails on a chalkboard. There were times only dogs could hear her dialogue.

IMO, this ranks as one of NBC's worst moves since it dumped five hours of primetime programming per week to placate Jay Leno's tantrum AFTER Leno had already announced his retirement but then changed his mind. Instead of telling him, "Too bad you got bored on your own. We ALREADY got Mr. O'Brien to do the show you gave up. Go tool around on your cars or take    long vacations but BUZZ OFF !"

It's times like these I wish the Forums had a BOO Icon !

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Love 5
1 hour ago, SmithW6079 said:

‘Night Court’ Sequel Starring Melissa Rauch & John Larroquette Lands Series Order At NBC

No.

Melissa Rauch plays Harry Stone's daughter? Did he and Christine get married and have a kid once the show ended?  

Will Melissa Rauch at least speak like a normal person and not Minnie Mouse? The voice she used as Bernadette was like nails on a chalkboard. There were times only dogs could hear her dialogue.

No, no, no, no, and no.

• Love 7

‘Babylon 5’ Series Reboot From J. Michael Straczynski In Works At the CW

A new version of the Emmy-winning space opera television series Babylon 5 is in the works. The CW has put in development Babylon 5, described as a “from-the-ground-up reboot” of the critically acclaimed 1990s series, from original series creator J. Michael Straczynski and Warner Bros. Television.

Written by Straczynski, the reboot revolves around John Sheridan (played by Bruce Boxleitner in the original series), an Earthforce officer with a mysterious background, who is assigned to Babylon 5, a five-mile-long space station in neutral space, a port of call for travelers, smugglers, corporate explorers and alien diplomats at a time of uneasy peace and the constant threat of war. His arrival triggers a destiny beyond anything he could have imagined, as an exploratory Earth company accidentally triggers a conflict with a civilization a million years ahead of us, putting Sheridan and the rest of the B5 crew in the line of fire as the last, best hope for the survival of the human race.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

I'm actually somewhat looking forward to the new Night Court. It will depend on the execution but I think this show is a good one for a redo. 

It was popular but not as popular or well known as other NBC sitcoms.  And there are other factors that I think make it work.

There was a lot of turnover in the original Night Court cast. There are maybe six or seven characters primarily associated with it (Dan, Roz, Harry, Christine, Bull, Mac and Selma--for me) but there were many many others who were regulars for a short time.  It was truly a comedy built around a situation (night court) as opposed to specific characters.  It's basically built to continue with a whole new cast of characters.

Plus, a lot of the comedy came from situations of the week and the guest characters. It was like a comedy procedural.

Oh and Melissa's real voice is a little lower than her Bernadette voice.

Edited by Irlandesa
3 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

I'm actually somewhat looking forward to the new Night Court. It will depend on the execution  

To each one's own but IMO, 'execution' seems somewhat apt re discussing NBC's plans to revive something that wound up to be a lame groaner in no time flat the first go round! 

On 9/27/2021 at 5:12 PM, Trini said:

Seems unnecessary, and I can't imagine it being any better than the original (maybe special effects, but that's it). Why not a sequel rather than a 'reboot'?

B5 is a tough one.  The effects probably make it really hard for the show to pick up a new generation of viewers.  The loss of most of the cast makes it really hard to do a sequel that ties back to the show.  I mean how do you tie in Sheridan without Delenn or Lando without G'kar. And Sheridan puts a limit on the timeline.  

And its kind of a closed story to a degree.  It was hard to care that much about S5 of the show because the main arc was over.  The spin off show didn't make it past one season.  Since it was such a defined narrative, its hard to just do something like Star Trek where a new crew goes on an exploration of space in self contained episodes with new characters.

But having said all that, my initial reaction was that it was strange that they were doing a straight reboot/retelling of Sheridan's time on the station.

I would have thought that they would have maybe retold the story closer to the original plan before casting changes or the First Shadow War.

Now that I think about it.  I don't think a sequel works without re-building the universe of the show first.  But I do think they could find a way to do a prequel that is far enough removed from B5 to find a new audience and pull back the older audience.

You know just the other day, I admitted to myself that I'd officially reached the age where nothing on the CW interested me anymore.  If this comes to be, I'll have to check it long enough to return to being embarrassed that I'm watching the CW.

• Love 3
13 hours ago, BetterButter said:

I wasn't completely opposed to this idea when I first heard about it but reading the description doesn't inspire me with confidence. 

First, it'll be weird for me that an NBC show will now be on ABC.  Feels wrong somehow.

Second, this is the description:

In the new show, the venerable law firm of McKenzie Brackman reinvents itself as a litigation firm specializing in only the most high profile, boundary pushing and incendiary cases. Underwood reprises his role as attorney Jonathan Rollins, who has gone from idealistic to more conservative as he clashes with millennial JJ Freeman to decide the best path forward for the firm to effect political and legal change.

It sounds like they're getting rid of the conceit of different types of cases.  One of the things I liked about it was that there was a divorce division.  A criminal law division...etc.

Edited by Irlandesa
  • Useful 1
  • Love 3

Well JAG back in the day made a successful network jump as well as Brooklyn 99 recently. I don't think LA Law owes a network loyalty any more than the Dallas continuation series did.

• Useful 1
9 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

I wasn't completely opposed to this idea when I first heard about it but reading the description doesn't inspire me with confidence. 

First, it'll be weird for me that an NBC show will now be on ABC.  Feels wrong somehow.

Second, this is the description:

In the new show, the venerable law firm of McKenzie Brackman reinvents itself as a litigation firm specializing in only the most high profile, boundary pushing and incendiary cases. Underwood reprises his role as attorney Jonathan Rollins, who has gone from idealistic to more conservative as he clashes with millennial JJ Freeman to decide the best path forward for the firm to effect political and legal change.

It sounds like they're getting rid of the conceit of different types of cases.  One of the things I liked about it was that there was a divorce division.  A criminal law division...etc.

So...taking 80% of what I liked about L.A. Law out and adding in the "boundary pushing" element. I might give the pilot a shot, but I can feel a big bag of "nah" developing.

• Love 4
11 hours ago, Raja said:

Well JAG back in the day made a successful network jump as well as Brooklyn 99 recently. I don't think LA Law owes a network loyalty any more than the Dallas continuation series did.

I see switching because of cancellation a little bit different, especially since JAG only played for one season on NBC before making the switch. 

And I don't think a show owes loyalty to the original network.  I just think it feels weird to me when I have such strong memory associations.

• Love 2

That 70s Show is getting a revival of sorts called That 90s Show at Netflix. It'll star Debra Jo Rupp and Kurtwood Smith and Kitty and Red. 

Whatever they do, I just need them to break up Jackie and Fez (who may or may not appear but I just need to know they ended fast.)

Edited by Irlandesa
  • LOL 1
  • Love 8
5 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

That 70s Show is getting a revival of sorts called That 90s Show at Netflix. It'll star Debra Jo Rupp and Kurtwood Smith and Kitty and Red. 

Whatever they do, I just need them to break up Jackie and Fez (who may or may not appear but I just need to know they ended fast.)

Interesting. I was a teen back then, so I have decent memories of that decade. Might be worth a look, though I expect a fair few jokes about grunge fashion and Bill Clinton.

The next season of For All Mankind will be set in the 90s too. Have we officially reached the point of nostalgia? Would a movie set in the 90s now be considered a period piece?

• Love 2
8 hours ago, Anduin said:

The next season of For All Mankind will be set in the 90s too. Have we officially reached the point of nostalgia? Would a movie set in the 90s now be considered a period piece?

90s was my young adulthood and I have no particular nostalgia for it. With the 70s and even the 80s there was a sense of fun with great music (and some terrible music) wild clothes, etc. For me the 90s were just...there. But it is depressing to think it is now considered "period". 

579924023_goingtobeoldnow.thumb.jpg.925b5d4f4e767b97eb032c511cba63a2.jpg

• LOL 4
  • Love 1
9 hours ago, Anduin said:

There have been a number of other series set in the 90s: Fresh off the Boat, Schooled, Cruel Summer. And I'm probaly forgetting some. So 90s nostalgia is nothing new but has been going on for several years.

• Love 2
16 hours ago, Anduin said:

Interesting. I was a teen back then, so I have decent memories of that decade. Might be worth a look, though I expect a fair few jokes about grunge fashion and Bill Clinton.

OMG, I am now a period piece 🤣. I was 30 in 1994.

• LOL 8
On 10/9/2021 at 4:55 AM, Irlandesa said:

Please god. I’m disappointed we’ll never get a Jackie/Hyde ending but I’ll happily take her being single

• Love 8
24 minutes ago, Avabelle said:

Please god. I’m disappointed we’ll never get a Jackie/Hyde ending but I’ll happily take her being single

In my head, Jackie broke up with Fez, moved to Chicago and got a job. 

• Love 7

HBO Max is doing a Degrassi reboot. I really hope they don't turn it into a glamorous provocative t.v. show with glamorous 25-year olds playing 16. The appeal of Degrassi is that they used real teenagers (well, at least they started out as real teenagers until they aged faster than the characters did) and they tried to keep it grounded in reality and relatable to actual teenage life.

The new show runners did have experience with Degrassi: The Next Generation so I hope they can keep the vibe true to itself.

• Love 6

Hey fellow 80's kids (Xennials, I guess?) remember Silverhawks, better known as Thundercats' weird space cousin?  It's getting a reboot.

I'm actually curious about this one.  Like a lot of 80's kids cartoons, they actually had a lot of imagination (despite existing primarily to sell toys) so if they could actually build on that, it could be a pretty interesting show.