Type keyword(s) to search

F-U, Reboot-Mania: Express Your Hate Here

• Start Topic

12 hours ago, Ghost of TWOP Past said:

I don't usually watch weeknight tv but I'm feeling poorly lately and so thought I'd see what was on as long as I don't feel up to anything more challenging. Magnum PI? Hawaii 5-0? Nancy Drew? Whose Line is it Anyway? What the hell year is this? Yet none of them the originals. 

I totally commiserate!  I can understand doing a remake or reboot of a TV show if you want to extend the boundaries not available when the original show aired, but I'm sick of it!  If I want to see the reruns, I'll check out the DVDs or watch on channels like ME-TV, Decades, Antenna TV, et al.

Most of the reboots don't even have the charm of the originals IMO and even though many of them have been running for 7 seasons or longer, I seriously doubt they'll be as beloved as their predecessors.  I swear the Hollywood honchos  are hoping we'll all forget the originals existed.   

• Love 1

Given that Nancy Drew is a supernatural genre show, it’s not like the show runners were going for a true recreation, more like a different sendup, since there've already been countless iterations of it that have done the same thing to death. At least that one is different.

• Love 2
18 hours ago, Ghost of TWOP Past said:

What the hell year is this? Yet none of them the originals.

Like that time I was on another site and all the ads were for Transformers and My Little Pony which left me thinking: is it 1986 again and no one told me?

• LOL 8

For all her naivety and, yes, flaws, Nancy Drew was an excellent role model to generations of young girls for her bravery and tenacity in wanting to set things right, so WHY did they have to cheapen this latest remake via wasting the audience's and her time with 'supernatural' mumbo jumbo instead of just having her solve cases which had suited generations of fans just fine? BOO!!!

• Love 8

I was actually pretty excited about a new Nancy Drew series until I realized it wasn't going to be a straightforward high schooler solving crimes story. I loved Nancy Drew growing up. She was a great role model, smart, brave, but still "girly" (as opposed to so many "strong women" who are basically written as male characters but with boobs). 

• Love 9
On 1/22/2022 at 12:49 AM, Ghost of TWOP Past said:

I don't usually watch weeknight tv but I'm feeling poorly lately and so thought I'd see what was on as long as I don't feel up to anything more challenging. Magnum PI? Hawaii 5-0? Nancy Drew? Whose Line is it Anyway? What the hell year is this? Yet none of them the originals. 

The Hawaii 5-0 reboot was actually pretty good.  It had the chemistry between McGarrett & Danny that the original had, while honoring the Polynesian culture better than the original.  It also had great action sequences and a better villain in Wo-Fat, plus had comedic chops on occasion.

the Magnum reboot OTOH, had none of the charm of the original.  And a lead lacking in magnetism, like Tom Selleck.

• Love 3

Scott Caan's hair in the Hawaii 5-0 reboot deeply offended my sensibilities. Like, I can't even explain why it bothers me and I am pretty sure I have sounded like a psychopath explaining my thoughts on it to people IRL, but I just can't with his hair. 

• LOL 9
  • Love 2

I saw something so horrible yesterday I can barely type this.   Firefly is being rebooted by Disney.   Sounds great right?   Except they are going to Disneyify it.   Meaning Inara is not going to be a Companion.   Probably a few other things to pretty it up instead of making it a show about a band of plucky individualists fighting back against conformity and control.

• Mind Blown 1
  • Love 3
58 minutes ago, merylinkid said:

I saw something so horrible yesterday I can barely type this.   Firefly is being rebooted by Disney.   Sounds great right?   Except they are going to Disneyify it.   Meaning Inara is not going to be a Companion.   Probably a few other things to pretty it up instead of making it a show about a band of plucky individualists fighting back against conformity and control.

There were some very good ideas in Firefly, they were just executed terribly. If someone were to actually do it correctly, it'd be wonderful! Will this actually happen? I doubt it.

• Love 4
6 hours ago, merylinkid said:

5 hours ago, Anduin said:

There were some very good ideas in Firefly, they were just executed terribly.

I agree execution could have been better.  I do think the film, Serenity did a better job than the show itself!

I don't trust Disney or any other studio anymore - they've done such a bad job with what they've had.

I wonder if they'll make Inara a Disney princess?

• Love 3
34 minutes ago, magicdog said:

I agree execution could have been better.  I do think the film, Serenity did a better job than the show itself!

I don't trust Disney or any other studio anymore - they've done such a bad job with what they've had.

There's always a princess, and a cast of healthy, corn-fed young'uns with skills and the brash confidence to take on the world. Disney formula.

3 hours ago, magicdog said:

That's mainly because the movie wasn't fucked over by Fox changing the release date or showing scenes out of order.

• Love 3
4 hours ago, magicdog said:

There was less time to do the nonsense that so infested the show, yes. They had to cut straight to the story. Much better.

• Love 2
5 hours ago, SVNBob said:

That's mainly because the movie wasn't fucked over by Fox changing the release date or showing scenes out of order.

Meh, FOX gets blamed for Firefly but honestly, it was because it was an extremely niche concept that just didn’t appeal to enough viewers. It would’ve failed anyway.

• Love 3

They did dump Firefly on a Friday night too. It was also opposite Farscape, and I wasn't giving up my Aeryn for Inara. 

I watched it in the correct order later, and I enjoyed the show. It could have been something for 3,4 seasons. Being cut off after only a handful of episodes gives the show a mythology.

Also, in this content landscape, I'm sure it could have been more successful. 

• Love 4
10 hours ago, Anduin said:

That site doesn't give any sources. Is there actual word from a Disney senior, or did someone confuse idle speculation for serious rumours again?

Seems to be the case. None of the sites that report TV and/or genre news have anything about a reboot.

8 minutes ago, Trini said:

Seems to be the case. None of the sites that report TV and/or genre news have anything about a reboot.

I swear I've seen this kind of situation a dozen times over the years. Maybe more. At this point, I think it's deliberate. Spin idle speculation up into the realms of 'almost confirmed' in order to justify an article. It's pure clickbait, and I feel terrible every time I fall for it.

• Love 1
On 1/25/2022 at 2:18 PM, magicdog said:

Just because it’s (rumored ) to being re-booted by Disney, doesn’t mean it will be kiddie-fied.  Disney has done great adult level shows.  And the ‘Mandelorian’ shows that they have good creative instincts when put in the right hands.

Edited by roamyn
  • Love 4
5 minutes ago, roamyn said:

Just because it’s (rumored ) to being re-booted by Disney, doesn’t mean it will be kiddie-fied.  Disney has done great adult level shows.  And the ‘Mandelorian’ shows that they have good creative instincts when put in the right hands.

I'm not necessarily saying it will be "kiddie-fied" (although many works have been dumbed down in one way or another).  More like poorly done.  The Disney live action remakes of their animated fare are what I think of - unnecessary and pale imitation of what was made before.  

• Love 4
On 11/5/2016 at 1:55 AM, methodwriter85 said:

A Dynasty reboot makes absolutely no sense. The economy is in the perma-shitter, and most importantly, the oil and natural gas industry is in a free-fall right now. A wealthy oil family doesn't make sense in this environment. Rich people escapism shows haven't really worked in awhile- Revenge only managed to be a hit because, in my opinion, it was about punishing the wealthy. I mean, I loved the O.C. and liked Gossip Girl, but neither of them would have worked in this decade. (Re: the oil boom show starring Don Johnson and Chace Crawford that lasted less than 13 episodes.)

I will say this though- the CW hasn't been the best to their LGBT characters, and I will be super-pissed if they actually manage to regress on the Stephen storyline. That would be fucking sad if they did.

Also, this being the CW, I'd be shocked if they allowed "Cristal" to be older than 28, or for Blake and Alexis to look older than early 40's.

I just have very little faith after watching how badly the 90210 and Melrose Place reboots were done, especially the latter.

I'm quoting myself from over five years ago. I actually watch the Dynasty reboot. It's not great by any stretch of the imagination, but it's fun and fluffy and I don't have to think while watching it.

It could have been done so much better, but the show is already over the "88 episode" threshold for syndication and it just works.

If you don't enjoy Liz Gillies and want to be her little gay BFF and watch her model various outfits, I don't think you're going to like the show. Fallon is the main character (pretty much the main focus the entire series) so if you don't like her, you can't really like the show.

I realize now that was my problem with the (first) 90210 reboot: I really just did not like Annie/Shenae Grimes-Beech. I could not stand her. She was perfect on Degrassi as a holier-than-thou hypocrite Darcy, but Annie was supposed to be this loveable girl next door and Shenae just didn't have Shannen Doherty's level of charisma to pull this off. 

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Love 3
(edited)
3 hours ago, magicdog said:

I just heard about the Quantum Leap reboot from one of my favorite YT posters.  I do not like the plans they apparently have for it and will not watch it!!

It doesn't appear the Scott Bakula will be involved;  if he is perhaps someone from the current cast may go looking for him, but I'm still not taking the bait.

What plans? There has been barely any info about it so far. I hope your not only going by youtube for info.

"QUANTUM LEAP"

It's been 30 years since Dr. Sam Beckett stepped into the Quantum Leap accelerator and vanished. Now a new team has been assembled to restart the project in the hopes of understanding the mysteries behind the machine and the man who created it.

The cast includes Raymond Lee, Caitlin Bassett, Ernie Hudson, Mason Alexander Park, and Nanrisa Lee.

Steven Lilien and Bryan Wynbrandt will write and executive produce. Don Bellisario, Deborah Pratt and Martin Gero executive produce.

Universal Television, a division of Universal Studio Group, will produce in association with I Have an Idea! Entertainment, Belisarius Productions and Quinn's House Productions.

http://www.thefutoncritic.com/news/2022/05/16/nbc-builds-on-strong-fall-schedule-with-the-addition-of-new-series-quantum-leap-and-lopez-vs-lopez-to-its-winning-lineup-202114/20220516nbc01/

Edited by Trini
  • Useful 1

I'm loath to say this, but the QL doesn't sound so bad. At its best, it was an anthology show about literally stepping in someone else's shoes. Learning about other people that you might not know is a good thing. *If* that's the point of the show, I'll probably check it out. If it's just a knock off to capitalize on nostalgia, then no. 

Now, of course, with basically a main cast of two, the chemistry is of the highest importance. 

(edited)

I saw maybe one episode of the old MacGyver TV show when I was a kid, and thought it was really bad. Tried watching the reboot and I've managed to get about ten minutes into the first episode... is it actually worth watching or is it completely dumb and a waste of time?

It originally aired on CBS, which I feel answers my question. Seems to me that every show they do is either formulaic procedural pap or stupid TV that pretends to be smart.

Edited by Danny Franks
  • Love 2
(edited)
13 hours ago, Danny Franks said:

saw maybe one episode of the old MacGyver TV show when I was a kid, and thought it was really bad. Tried watching the reboot and I've managed to get about ten minutes into the first episode... is it actually worth watching or is it completely dumb and a waste of time?

I saw the show when it was first run and it was ok.  Richard Dean Anderson was likeable so he sold the role for a lot of viewers at the time.  It was also refreshing to see a TV hero who wasn't always using a gun to save the day and was so creative using whatever was on hand.

13 hours ago, Danny Franks said:

It originally aired on CBS, which I feel answers my question. Seems to me that every show they do is either formulaic procedural pap or stupid TV that pretends to be smart.

CBS doe the longest time appealed to the older demographic so we had a lot of TV shows since the 80s like Murder She Wrote and Diagnosis Murder.  Now they reboot shows older people remember like Hawaii 5-0 and Magnum PI.

What plans? There has been barely any info about it so far. I hope your not only going by youtube for info.

While I'm not YT dependent when it comes to information about things, the link I included is that of a seasoned blogger of pop culture stuff like comics, movies and TV .  I've followed him and his show for years (his Batwahman reviews are awesome BTW) and he's been on the money so far.  I'm certain this will be proven true.

Edited by magicdog
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, magicdog said:

While I'm not YT dependent when it comes to information about things, the link I included is that of a seasoned blogger of pop culture stuff like comics, movies and TV .  I've followed him and his show for years (his Batwahman reviews are awesome BTW) and he's been on the money so far.  I'm certain this will be proven true.

Again, what is it that's the problem? I'm not watching that video, but apparently he's condemned the entire thing based on ... one photo.

• Love 1
18 hours ago, Danny Franks said:

Tried watching the reboot and I've managed to get about ten minutes into the first episode... is it actually worth watching or is it completely dumb and a waste of time?

I passively sat through a couple of episodes of the new one not out of actual interest but just because I was too lazy to the change the channel. And I ended up finding it so bad, even by CBS standards, that I finally changed the channel. I will sit through some terrible shit out of morbid curiosity and/or laziness, but that was just not worth it, IMO.

• Love 1
6 hours ago, Trini said:

Again, what is it that's the problem? I'm not watching that video, but apparently he's condemned the entire thing based on ... one photo.

Why not watch and find out?  

On 5/20/2022 at 10:42 PM, magicdog said:

Why not watch and find out?  

I will definitely be check out the show when it airs. 👍  I liked the original, and I'm interested in how they they revisit the concept.

And of course, there's the possibility that they incorporate a better ending for Sam Beckett. (There's no way they're not having Scott Bakula cameo, if possible.)

On 5/21/2022 at 8:14 PM, Trini said:

And of course, there's the possibility that they incorporate a better ending for Sam Beckett. (There's no way they're not having Scott Bakula cameo, if possible.)

If the people behind the last SW trilogy were stupid enough to not have Luke, Leia and Han Solo together in one scene in the film, then I am not putting past the current crew behind QL to not include Scott Bakula.  Bakula himself had tried with Donald Belasario to revive the property years ago before Dean Stockwell's passing.

As they say, one picture is worth a thousand words.  That photo told me all I needed to know.

• Love 3
4 minutes ago, Anduin said:

I was just coming to share that!

Now, I didn't watch the final seasons and wasn't part of the fandom. Hollywood Reporter describes him as a fan favourite. When I did watch, people were a bit negative towards him. Not outright hate or anything, just somewhat blah. Did the collective opinion change over the years?

No.

• LOL 3
2 minutes ago, BlackberryJam said:

No.

So of all people to bring back, why him? Couldn't the producers convince anyone else? I realise you can't answer these questions, but eventually someone will have to.

50 minutes ago, Anduin said:

So of all people to bring back, why him? Couldn't the producers convince anyone else? I realise you can't answer these questions, but eventually someone will have to.

Sounds to me they're desperate.  They shat the bed with the final season of GOT and even if someone might have been interested in checking it out, they're discouraged by the negative publicity it received.  Now they want to erase all that and start with a prequel or a sequel of some kind to bring in the audience they lost.

• Love 2
10 minutes ago, magicdog said:

Sounds to me they're desperate.  They shat the bed with the final season of GOT and even if someone might have been interested in checking it out, they're discouraged by the negative publicity it received.  Now they want to erase all that and start with a prequel or a sequel of some kind to bring in the audience they lost.

It's not even the first spinoff announced. There's House of the Dragon and I think a couple more. Though the one that interested me most didn't get picked up.

8 hours ago, Anduin said:

It's not even the first spinoff announced. There's House of the Dragon and I think a couple more. Though the one that interested me most didn't get picked up.

I think there's something like nine spinoffs/prequels in development. HBO wants that cash cow back so bad they're going to try everything.

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, vibeology said:

I think there's something like nine spinoffs/prequels in development. HBO wants that cash cow back so bad they're going to try everything.

Nine? Let's test my memory. HOTD, of course. Jon Snow. Nymeria? Something with the Sea Snake? I dunno, what are the other five?

• Love 1
4 minutes ago, Anduin said:

Nine? Let's test my memory. HOTD, of course. Jon Snow. Nymeria? Something with the Sea Snake? I dunno, what are the other five?

Here's the article I saw a week ago.

They're listing HOTD, The Sea Snake, Ten Thousand Ships (the  Nymeria show), The Tales of Dunk and Egg, A Flea Bottom series, The Golden Empire and at least one more animated series based on Martin's quote plus now this Jon Snow series. So 8+ series in development.

• Mind Blown 1
  • Useful 3
6 hours ago, vibeology said:

Here's the article I saw a week ago.

They're listing HOTD, The Sea Snake, Ten Thousand Ships (the  Nymeria show), The Tales of Dunk and Egg, A Flea Bottom series, The Golden Empire and at least one more animated series based on Martin's quote plus now this Jon Snow series. So 8+ series in development.

Thanks. They really want to milk that cash cow dry, don't they?

(edited)

I'm really shocked Kit Harington is attached to it. I didn't hate the final season as much as the rest of the internet, but he had talked about having to go to rehab and just being in a very dark place mentally as the show wrapped up. Perhaps I read more into his words than he actually meant, but it seemed like a "never again!" thing to me. That or they offered him so much money he got over any objections. 

Edited by Zella
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
6 minutes ago, Anduin said:

Thanks. They really want to milk that cash cow dry, don't they?

It made sense when GoT was one of the biggest shows in the world. Then they went and fucked it up. 

House of Dragon has to be really good to bring back any good will people have for this franchise. 

I'm really shocked Kit Harington is attached to it. I didn't hate the final season as much as the rest of the internet, but he had talked about having to go to rehab and just being in a very dark place mentally as the show wrapped up. Perhaps I read more into his words than he actually meant, but it seemed like a "never again!" thing to me. That or they offered him so much money he got over any objections.

Money talks. Lol and he's probably not getting many other offers. 

• Love 2