Type keyword(s) to search

Earworms: Music in Commercials

• Start Topic

In the annoying car commercial in which the dads drive their kids to a date at the movie theater in a snowstorm, the music has recently changed. I swear it used to be "To Make you Feel My Love," but the commercial aired a bunch of times the other night with new music. The music has not made me less irritated at the kids for not calling each other to cancel the date due to the weather.

• Love 1
37 minutes ago, AimingforYoko said:

I like this song in the summer coke ad: (The Knocks feat. Powers - "Classic")

Goodness! A song that matches the ad narrative! And both song and story are very cute.

27 minutes ago, Silver Raven said:

That Good Goes Round song for Cheerios is annoying.

Aw, I actually like it! I've been on a positive-message commercial song kick lately.

I never, ever want to hear "Ride of the Valkyries" in another ad trying to convince me that their beer/car/game/fast food/movie/whatever is the most awesome adventure that ever adventured. Stop it. Stop it now.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2

There's a commercial making the rounds right now that uses Fly Me To The Moon. I don't know the product, but my poor DH is going crazy trying to figure out who the singer is. Question: what is the product or even better, who is the singer?

52 minutes ago, ennui said:

I heard Fleetwood Mac's "Go Your Own Way" for a COPD drug commercial (Anoro). I felt old. 

It made me sad. I wish some of these bands would say no more to their music being used in some of these commercials.

• Love 4
22 minutes ago, Jaded said:

It made me sad. I wish some of these bands would say no more to their music being used in some of these commercials.

The bands rarely have a say in the matter.  Other people own their songs.

• Love 2
45 minutes ago, Silver Raven said:

The bands rarely have a say in the matter.  Other people own their songs.

That's true especially considering how old that song is. 

My husband says the same thing, and I say the money-grubbers who DO own the songs should say no, we are not using EMF to sell cheese.

Barry Manilow is still alive, people can just ask him to start writing jingles again.

• Love 5
16 minutes ago, Brattinella said:

Didn't Fleetwood Mac write most of their songs?

It doesn't matter.  The music publishers own the rights, and they get sold over and over again.

If I remember correctly, Michael Jackson owned the Beatles songs.  I don't know who owns them now.  His kids, I guess.

5 hours ago, Silver Raven said:

The music publishers own the rights, and they get sold over and over again.

I think the Rolling Stones own their music; I've read that's why you hardly ever heard a Stones song in film or television, because the cost is prohibitive. They are picky about who they allow to use their music, and they charge an arm and a leg for it. (I read all this when Mad Men used "Satisfaction.")

Paul McCartney sued over the Beatles catalog (the settlement is confidential), but there's some good information here - https://www.theguardian.com/music/2017/jul/04/beatles-song-rights-dispute-paul-mccartney-and-sony-atv-work-it-out

• Love 2

I believe the writers of the songs own the rights but often they may have sold the rights back to the publisher, particularly in the old days when performers were less sophisticated and they were offered what at the time was a lot of money* - or someone else. IE, Mick and Keith still own their songs and you hardly ever hear them.  The Beatles quibbled, lost the rights, which reverted to Sony (who bought the original publisher, EMI, I think), who sold the catalogue to Michael Jackson.

On topic... sorry, got nothing...

*For example, the Isley Brothers sold their catalogue way back in the 60s or something and make NOTHING from the five million times Shout gets played!

Edited by OneWouldHope

Some artists own the rights. In his will, Beastie Boy Adam Yauch stated that he never wanted the music of the band used in a commercial.

Since his death, the remaining members have worked to fulfill his wish. (Although soundtracks are apparently offer a loophole.)

12 hours ago, janie jones said:

I don't know if I'd like that Stella Artois commercial more or less if they'd used the music from the Band à part dance scene. 

I think it IS the music that makes it, since it's so uplifting.  I love when the bird tweets.  BTW, I don't mind having this song stuck in my head.

Edited by cynicat
  • Love 2

I'm not a fan of Imagine Dragons, especially because radio plays them INCESSANTLY (between Red Hot Chili Peppers and Green Day songs), and I really don't care for "Thunder" (songs where the singer is talking about how creative, original, famous, awesome they are are among my least favorite). So it's especially ridiculous as the soundtrack to the Microsoft Surface laptop. Maybe it's a cool laptop, but I seriously doubt it's so amazing you can compare yourself to a powerful natural element... and to say "I'm not a yes-sir, not a follower" when you're using a product from one of the Globocorp-iest Globocorps is pretty ironic and LOL-worthy too...

Edited by ivygirl
  • Love 2

The music in the Restasis ad with the woman slowly stripping off her makeup annoys the hell out of me. The whole ad does, because it doesn't seem to have any relevance to any kind of medical condition, but I really hate the singer. It sounds like she's singing "Lights, camera, stop da phones." I finally caught the closed captioning and it's "strike a pose." I still don't hear that. Hate it.

ETA: Ok, now it sounds like "strap da phones." It's not getting better. 

Edited by CoderLady
  • Love 2
On 9/21/2017 at 6:45 PM, SoSueMe said:

Ummm, Peggy Lee for the Galaxy Note8

I absolutely *hate* this song!  I had no idea it was Peggy Lee.  The commercial is kinda cute but it takes me a day to get that stupid song out of my head.

• Love 1
On 10/16/2017 at 1:14 PM, Silver Raven said:

This is actually the original band, The Outfield, doing this take on their one big hit.  I like the original song, and I actually like this commercial, too.

https://www.ispot.tv/ad/w111/bounce-wrinkles-ruin-harrys-big-meeting

I don’t love the song but the ad cracks me up. Kudos to them for having a sense of humor, though!

Side note: the strangest thing happened to me a year or two ago. The song got stuck in my head one day, and then that very week—seemingly apropos of nothing—Saturday Night Live did a spoof using the song. The spoof is pretty funny too :)

• Love 1
2 hours ago, smittykins said:

Science Channel is doing a promo for the new Mythbusters season using Jay and the Americans’ “This Magic Moment,” and I’m rapidly becoming sick of it.

Nothing will ever top their Boom-de-yada ads. XKCD version, with music: 

• Love 3
4 hours ago, smittykins said:

Science Channel is doing a promo for the new Mythbusters season using Jay and the Americans’ “This Magic Moment,” and I’m rapidly becoming sick of it.

You and me both. It doesn't help that the show looks like it's going to be just another one of their near identical blow-things-up hours except this one has highjacked the Mythbusters name. At least when I hear the music fire up I know I can do a pause 'n skip and not have to see the ad again and get more pissed off.

This song is currently being used in commercials for Oreo cookies. I thought at first it was an old Carole King song, but apparently it was a demo tape recorded by a group called Penny and the Quarters and the song was never released:

• Love 4