Type keyword(s) to search

Earworms: Music in Commercials

• Start Topic

There is a fairly recent ad for PNC bank that has a dreamy wedding complete with ballet dancers, unicorns, etc.

Does anyone know what the music is?  It sounds somewhat familiar and it may be a version of a song that is sung by the chorus in the Transylvania Orchestra's Christmas performance. 

I was just touring our library looking at old journals to cull, and came across what I thought was Souls and Fertilizers.  So much better than Soils.

But my latest earworm is Back in Baby's Arms Again.  I don't know what commercial is using it, but I bet my neighbors are sending them angry letters cause I go full on Patsy Cline for hours after I hear it.

• Love 3

Please tell me that "woman" song in the antiperspirant commercial only exists for that commercial.  To paraphrase - because you're a woman, and you're a woman and you need to be a woman because you're a woman or whatever the fuck overuse of the word woman is in that snippet of suck. 

• Love 2

I hate that commercial with the loser mom pumping gas while her sons destroy the convenience store. However, what most annoys me is I then proceed to sing "Mama Don't Let Yer Babies Grow Up to Be Cowboys" for the next 24 hours. I've got nothing against the song, but I'd rather not have it stuck in my head. I saw the commercial last night right before I went to bed so guess what was humming around my head ALL NIGHT LONG?

• Love 2

You need a neutralizing earworm.  I have one from a commercial when I was a kid.  If I get an earworm, I start singing that in my head and it complete overwrites the original earworm.

I don't mind the neutralizer, but it tends to float around my head for a few days and I've been caught walking around humming it.

This is it - look at your own risk!

"Carry On Wayward Son" is officially on my list of music co-opted by a TV show and can't be used in anything else ever again.  I heard it, looked up to see why Supernatural was on TV and it turned out to be a Miller commercial.

Are there people left who aren't sick of the song "Happy"?  Why did Onexton decide to put it in their commercial?

Because you'll be Happy when you develop persistent diarrhea, abdominal or stomach pain/cramping, blood/mucus in your stool, rash, itching/swelling (especially of the face/tongue/throat), severe dizziness, and trouble breathing.

Come to think of it, that song gives me those ailments. I don't even need to take the drug.

• Love 3
(edited)

My username is a mondegreen, from Blur's "Song #2" -  the real lyrics are "I got my head shaved by a jumbo jet", but that didn't sound like "jumbo jet"

haha I always though it sounded like h-emBOchay :)

Edited by ByTor
  • Love 2

Que the snake-charmer-esque music.

"Nah- nah nah nah .... nah nah....NAh.. Give it to me I'm WORTH IT. yeah, baby, I'm WORTH IT. ah-hah I'm WORTH IT." [/Hersheys]

• Love 1

"Nah- nah nah nah .... nah nah....NAh.. Give it to me I'm WORTH IT. yeah, baby, I'm WORTH IT. ah-hah I'm WORTH IT." [/Hersheys]

Thanks. Now I've got it. ;)

• Love 1

Hasn't anyone at Hersey seen the music video? The "ladies" of Fifth Harmony make it pretty clear what they mean by "give it to me" and the company shouldn't be going there with its ad.

• Love 3

So there's Waylon Jennings' Mama Don't Let Your Babies Grow Up To Be Cowboys, and a Johnny Cash song for iPhone 6 (?) and a Willie Nelson song (dog food maybe? The song is about friendship). That's 3/4 of The Highwaymen.

• Love 3

I had the tv on in the background, and while listening from another room it seemed to me that the music for Bayer aspirin and "Jackie's heart attack didn't come with a warning" is eerily similar to the music for the Subaru "They lived" commercial. I noticed because they played back to back, and when I heard the music I thought it was the Subaru ad first, but it was Bayer first. I imagine their ad agencies chose some stock music (like clip art for advertising).

I don't think I'll ever get tired of the Nationwide Insurance Big Baby commercial, with Mickey & Sylvia singing "Love is Strange" in the background. Loving a car is strange, and yet ooohh baby ...

Edited by ennui
  • Love 1

So, OK, my hearing probably isn't the greatest, but still...when that stupid Kraft mac and cheese commercial is on (I think that's it?) showing the crumbles of cheddar and the wailing singer belts out "YOU MADE A MASTERPIECE..." Well, sorry, I only hear "You'd better masturbate!"

Gets my attention and cracks me up, but I don't think that's the intent.

The opening music is really ear-wormy, though.

• Love 1

when they use an old song, 50s, 60s old, why do they have to speed it up so much? I love Rock Around The Clock by Bill Haley & the Comets, but the version they use is frenetic and they make a stupid change in the lyrics. Target has a Jackson 5 song, ABC, it is sped up so fast it sounds like the Chipmunks!

• Love 1

when they use an old song, 50s, 60s old, why do they have to speed it up so much? I love Rock Around The Clock by Bill Haley & the Comets, but the version they use is frenetic and they make a stupid change in the lyrics. Target has a Jackson 5 song, ABC, it is sped up so fast it sounds like the Chipmunks!

Because their target audience has the attention span of a rabid squirrel on crack.

• Love 5

I'll hold him down for you, as I'm punching him in the throat.

I'll hold your coats.

ispot has nothing listed; someone in the comments quotes Infiniti's YouTube channel, "...the music performed is an original composition created specifically for this commercial. We are pleased you enjoy it!"

Riiight, Infiniti. You go on believing that.

• Love 3

As much as I adore Dancing with the Stars, I can't get to the mute button fast enough when their latest commercials air. I am SO SICK of hearing Whip Nae-Nae or whatever the F that stupid song is called. Of all the good dance songs out there, who was the moron who chose that one?