Type keyword(s) to search

Earworms: Music in Commercials

• Start Topic

What is that horrific song that is playing while the girl leaps from car to car on the freeway, Magnum ice cream bar?  I can understand about two words of it, caterwauling.  Also, that is the brand name of a condom, and the visual while she eats the ice cream...

The girl is Rachel Bilson, from "The OC" and "Hart of Dixie".  The song is "Leap" by Supercharango:

• Love 1

Thanks for replying, Rick!  I listened to it JUST up to where the woman soloist joins in... YIKES!  What a screeching harpy!  I listened to it on youtube, and the comments are almost universally positive, folks LOVE it.  Yuck.  Thanks again!

• Love 1

Janie Jones, don't know if you were talking to me, but I wouldn't know if Kid Rock slapped me upside the head! lol, I'm old. Actually if he slapped me upside the head, I'd have to sue so I guess then I'd know who he was. But if he's the one screeching about being born free, he's annoying.

It's not a specific song, but I get stabby at anything "sing songy" pop artists sounding like nursery rhymes.  Right now, it a phone - "I'm living the life of dreams, lalala..."

A year or two ago another phone co. did the same. AAAARGHH

• Love 1

I'm starting to miss the Gatorade World Cup commercial. The editing is just so tight in terms of getting the song to sync with the soccer players, and I found myself watching all the way through every time I stumbled upon it:

• Love 2

there's an ad for something...might be men's deodorant or shower soap or cars for all I pay attention. But when I do notice, a bunch of guys are marching through something that looks like an automatic car wash indoors, chanting/ singing something like "power soap" or "power soak", I don't know, but then I sort of march around my house chanting. Commercial fail, because as much as I've heard it I don't know what the product is. Don't particularly care either.

there's an ad for something...might be men's deodorant or shower soap or cars for all I pay attention. But when I do notice, a bunch of guys are marching through something that looks like an automatic car wash indoors, chanting/ singing something like "power soap" or "power soak", I don't know, but then I sort of march around my house chanting. Commercial fail, because as much as I've heard it I don't know what the product is. Don't particularly care either.

I LIKE that commercial! It's Dial For Men power scrub (which is what they're chanting), and it leaves them "honkingly gorgeous" (car horn honks on cue) and is "proudly over-engineered". It's dumb, but it makes me giggle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K0DNImwjDrk

Edited by riley702
  • Love 1

If you live in an area where there are PNC banks (maybe just the metro DC area?), you know how irritating their inane, "instrumental" tune is (just plunking/plinking notes).  They've been sponsoring Nationals games the past few years and I have to be w/in arms reach of the remote so I can grab it and hit the mute button whenever that obnoxious little tune comes on.  Same with Empire floors...they've been playing the same ad for, what, 10 years already?

Near me is a burger joint that also has Chicago-style hot dogs.  They had a big poster in the store about how you know you're in Chicago and it had a bunch of Chi-town localisms along with "You know the phone number for Empire" - I showed that to the guy behind the counter and we, in Georgia, sang in unison: "Eight hundred five eight eight two three hundred...EmPIRE (today!)"

Really...it's not particular to Chicago anymore.

• Love 1

"You know the phone number for Empire" - I showed that to the guy behind the counter and we, in Georgia, sang in unison: "Eight hundred five eight eight two three hundred...EmPIRE (today!)"

Really...it's not particular to Chicago anymore.

Back when cable television was new and just something you got in places too far away from a big city to get anything over the air, WGN Chicago was one of the channels that we got in southern Alabama, unmodified from the local broadcast. So the non-800 version of that jingle has been spreading since the 70s.

I remember the Empire jingle from my Chicago childhood, c. 1952. If I ever imagined "Someday I'll grow up, move away, and get away from that sound," it was one of my sorrier predictions.

• Love 2

I like the Nationwide commercial with the football guy (I don't follow football that closely so I don't know if he is a real player or an actor) who keeps putting other words to "Nationwide is on your side" - especially the "chicken parm you taste so good".  It must be a good commercial because the jingle is most certainly stuck in my head!

• Love 3

The latest Jeep commercial starts with Michael Jackson singing:

As I was driving down the highway

My Jeep began to rock

I get that they want to use a Jackson song to promote their product, but is it really such a great idea to use one that underscores the fact that Jeeps are less stable than regular cars?

• Love 1

A slow, haunting version of "You're the One That I Want" keeps playing for some godawful reason.  Why?  Why!?!?!?!?  I don't know what the commercial is for.  I just cannot fathom using that song for anything or doing a remix.  No matter how they sing it, in my head I hear Olivia Newton John and John Travolta.  Be gone, evil song, be gone! 

This can be a combination earworm and scratch your head; the Geico using the Wallflowers "One Headlight" for their motorcycle commercial. I think whomever approved the song choice only heard the "We can drive it home/With one headlight" and said, "Yes! This is brilliant for our motorcycle riders".

http://youtu.be/Y_TrJODGJAg

They seemed to miss the whole attending a girl's funeral and not being able to escape. I've loved this song since middle school and I had to do a double-take when I first saw the commercial.

• Love 1

Back when cable television was new and just something you got in places too far away from a big city to get anything over the air, WGN Chicago was one of the channels that we got in southern Alabama, unmodified from the local broadcast. So the non-800 version of that jingle has been spreading since the 70s.

I was only as far away as western Michigan, and yeah, got WGN and all the Chicago commericals too, including the ones for Empire's competitor, Lincoln, who was still trying to explain seven digit phone numbers in the 1980s.

In more recent music notes, I actually ended up tracking down the 'Suit' song from the Diet Coke plane commercial and buying it

http://www.ispot.tv/ad/7NOl/diet-coke-economy-class-song-by-boom-bap-pow

The latest Jeep commercial starts with Michael Jackson singing:

As I was driving down the highway

My Jeep began to rock

Thanks for sharing the lyrics. I was convinced that he was singing, "My jeep began to rot."

• Love 1