Type keyword(s) to search

Clueless (1995)

UYI
  • Start Topic

July 19th, 1995 marks the 20th anniversary of what is, to me, THE quintessential teen movie (sorry, Mean Girls, you just lost). I wanted to start this thread so we can talk about this awesome movie.

• Love 12

I had no interested in a "teen" movie (I was 26 when it came out) until I started hearing the reviews.  I loved it.  I found the character's charming and while it wasn't Oscar worthy, I found the actors to be really good in their roles.  The casting department did a great job there.  And, as someone else put it in the "Movie Quotes" thread, it started my lifetime crush on Paul Rudd.  He's just so good in everything I've seen him in. 

• Love 3

Easily in my top 5 favorite movies.  I was entering high school when this movie came out, and it definitely was one of those "generation defining" movies for me.  It just works on all levels, casting, directing, cinematography. 

• Love 2
(edited)

This movie will never get old to me. I could watch it every week and not get sick of it. I've been loving reading all these articles about it for the anniversary. The casting is great. I love Paul Rudd, and Alicia Silverstone is perfect in this movie.

Also, LOL that trailer totally gives away Josh and Cher ending up together (or at least making out).

Edited by Craphole Island
  • Love 7

This came out the summer I graduated from high school - am I really this old? (AS IF.)

Clueless & Dazed and Confused are the two movies that most remind me of high school - my friends, our fun, and just general shenanigans. My Minnesota homeland felt like somewhere, someplace between 1970s Texas & 1990s Beverly Hills.

• Love 2
(edited)

Love Cher's relationship with her father.

I liked that he did draw the line with her on certain things, like driving the car.  Yes, she's spoiled because most kids would have been punished, but he did get angry with her and told her that she was not allowed to drive without a licensed driver.  He's also great with Josh.  "You divorce wives, not children!".  I love him.

Edited by Shannon L.
  • Love 13

This movie will never get old to me. I could watch it every week and not get sick of it. I've been loving reading all these articles about it for the anniversary. The casting is great. I love Paul Rudd, and Alicia Silverstone is perfect in this movie.

Also, LOL that trailer totally gives away Josh and Cher ending up together (or at least making out).

I don't know what inspired me to watch this movie. I was 24 when it came out, and I hadn't seen a trailer or any other ad for the movie. I might have caught a random showing on cable TV.

I think Alicia Silverstone gave Cher the perfect amount of innocence and vulnerability to balance out her oblivious sense of entitlement. I knew nothing about Cher and Josh getting together, so that was a nice surprise.  

• Love 2

I first saw this movie on netflix about 3-4ish years ago. It's a great movie.

I agree that the relationship between Cher and her father was pretty great. Her da was an awesome character.

I love Cher and Josh together.

Lots of fun characters!

• Love 2

I think my favorite Clueless moment is the first As If! scene.  In particular, I love the off camera sound of the skeezy guy landing in the bushes after Cher throws him off her. 

Alicia really made Cher such a wonderful combination of serious and silly.  The script was solid on its own but could have been a disaster with the wrong actors.  I mean, lines like "getting off the freeway makes you realize how important love is" can easily end up being super lame but Alicia delivered them so that we understood what she meant while getting in a giggle at the same time. 

And Dionne and Murray crack me up from beginning to end. 

I also think this is the best Austen adaptation there is. 

• Love 11

I rewatched the movie because of this thread. It really is about the perfect casting, crew, and timing with this movie. I think Alicia Silverstone was a revelation. She was in the Crush before and I remember it. She plays the opposite character almost as Cher, but Alicia does have this uncanny knack of being serious while sincere and honest. I found her a wonderful ingenue in this movie. I'm a bit sad her career has not sustained itself in the twenty years since.

I also adored the TV show. I thought Rachel Blanchard was a decent Cher and the recasts worked as well.

• Love 2

Clueless will always have a special place in my heart.  I was 12 when it came out and it immediately became one of my favorites.  So much has been said for the great relationships and characters, but I wanted to add that Cher's evolution as a character is one of the movie's strongest suits.  She could easily come off as a moronic, shallow brat, but you can see throughout the film that she's really quite giving and compassionate.  

Tai starts out as a "Barbie Doll" like Josh describes, but she blossoms into a charmingly quirky, happy individual with a sweet boyfriend through Cher's guidance.  And without Cher taking the lead, the whole Pismo Beach Disaster Relief never would have gotten off the ground, despite Ms. Geist's many efforts.  That happens in real life too; when someone important (like a celebrity) gets involved with a charity, that's usually when other financial moguls and the public start participating.

• Love 4

I just remembered probably the only thing about this movie that bothers me.  When Cher calls Josh for a ride after getting mugged, it sounds like she says "Sun Valley" or, possibly, "San Valley". It could just be Alicia mumbling to show Cher feeling sheepish at having Josh drive out so far (backed up by his "you owe me") so maybe she's saying "The Valley", but it's hard to make out.  Not a big deal just a little annoyance.

I have a buddy from high school who began saying "It's the Bomb!" after he saw Clueless.  He loved that scene of Lawrence shaving Murray's head while Dionne freaks out just that much.

I just remembered probably the only thing about this movie that bothers me.  When Cher calls Josh for a ride after getting mugged, it sounds like she says "Sun Valley" or, possibly, "San Valley". It could just be Alicia mumbling to show Cher feeling sheepish at having Josh drive out so far (backed up by his "you owe me") so maybe she's saying "The Valley", but it's hard to make out.  Not a big deal just a little annoyance.

I thought Sun Valley is a neighborhood in the the Valley.

Confirmed. It is a neighbourhood in the San Fernando Valley in L. A..

I'm forgetting what the complaint is about. She thinks the line was "the Valley" vs "Sun Valley" ?

Sun Valley sounded clear to me and is in fact in the area of the party. I at the time of viewing was pretty young and had no knowledge of LA but assumed it. It would be like if a character at a party in Chicago and called for a ride and said "hey pick me up at the Magnificent Mile."

This movie is pretty good but I hate Tai's accent and was kinda blown away how promoted this movie was on MTV and y&m and seventeen but had casual weed usage and blow job references. The fashion was on point for the time period and the clique of preps and burnout skaters.

• Love 1

This movie is one of the few movies that my husband and I can watch together every other day. If we are channel surfing and come across it we will watch it, even though we own the movie. My fav line is "everywhere in LA is 20 mins away". And monthly "rolling with the homies" pops in my head for a few days. We have a 17 year old daughter who does not appreciate this movie! Because of this we think she might of been switched at birth lol.

• Love 5

Clueless & Dazed and Confused are the two movies that most remind me of high school - my friends, our fun, and just general shenanigans. My Minnesota homeland felt like somewhere, someplace between 1970s Texas & 1990s Beverly Hills.

I think it helps a lot that Alicia was 17/18 when she did this movie. She really wasn't that far removed from being a 15-year old girl.

• Love 1
"the Valley" vs "Sun Valley"

Yep, my confusion comes from never having heard Sun Valley referred to as The Valley.  I've only ever heard The Valley refer to the San Fernando Valley in general rather than the specific neighborhoods (like, the conversation would go: "the party's in The Valley", "oh, where in The Valley?", "Sun Valley on ABC Street").  That's why it stood out and I wasn't sure if I was hearing the line correctly.  Like I said, it's a minor annoyance.

(edited)

My fav line is "everywhere in LA is 20 mins away".

That line makes me laugh, too, because when I first moved out here, it seemed like everyone was saying that an area was 20 minutes away. In fact, I still hear it a lot.

She could easily come off as a moronic, shallow brat, but you can see throughout the film that she's really quite giving and compassionate.

One great example of this, out of many, was when Travis was giving away his bongs and said that he was in a program, but couldn't remember how many steps there were and when she said "12" and "lucky guess". Her tone of voice and facial expression were perfection.  No way was she going to belittle him because he couldn't remember that it was a 12 step program.

Edited by Shannon L.
  • Love 7

That line makes me laugh, too, because when I first moved out here, it seemed like everyone was saying that an area was 20 minutes away. In fact, I still hear it a lot.

One great example of this out of many was when Travis was giving away his bongs and said that he was in a program, but couldn't remember how many steps there were and when she said "12" and "lucky guess", her tone of voice and facial expression were perfection.  No way was she going to belittle him because he couldn't remember that it was a 12 step program.

I live in LA, and I use the "everywhere in LA is 20 minutes away" line, especially when I am explaining the dichotomy of how "big" LA is.  It is actually the traffic that adds time to your drive not the distance, but LA is a lot "smaller" than people think.

• Love 1
(edited)

Honestly, this is one of my favorite feel good movies. It came out when I was 11, and one of my favorite things about it is when I went back and watched it when I was older and seeing all of the jokes that flew over my head.

I was 8 when the movie came out, and not until I watched it again as a teenager did I realize how many jokes went over my head (much like Grease).  

I could quote 10,000 lines, but the underrated part that cracks me up every time is after Cher gets back from her driving test and is trying to explain away why she's not overenthusiastic for Tai's story, and she says something about having two cappuccinos and she feels like throwing up, and Tai goes "l know exactly how that feels. Like, the other day,l was talking to Josh and we were discussing the difference between high-school girls and college girls. College girls wear less makeup on their face and that's why guys like them more."

It cracks me up because it's SUCH a high school girl thing to do (I say this as as someone who was a high school girl).  Your friend says one thing, and you weren't entirely paying attention because you're caught up about making everything about your crush, so you answer back with something that has nothing to do with what they were talking about, but has everything to do with you and the guy you like.  

I did live in constant disappointment that I never had a computer that put together my clothes for me.  That would've been so convenient.  

Edited by Princess Sparkle
  • Love 6

One of my favorite lines is when Mel calls Cher when she's at the Val party, and she says she's having a snack at her girlfriend's. Meanwhile, there's a loud plane flying over.

Mel: Where, KUWAIT?

Cher:...Is that in the Valley?

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

I also think this is the best Austen adaptation there is.

I've always thought this.  You're just presented with the actual story without all the OMG! the period clothes! the country houses! blah blah blah. Genius.  Love this movie.

• Love 1

Cher is the only version of Emma that I can actually stand. It's a very well dine movie, I haven't seen it in years but, I hope it holds up.

Paul Rudd has a portrait somewhere in his house, that is very old and very ugly.

• Love 8
20 hours ago, Morrigan2575 said:

Cher is the only version of Emma that I can actually stand. It's a very well dine movie, I haven't seen it in years but, I hope it holds up.

I watch it at least once almost every year, and IMO, it definitely does. Obviously the joke about these teenagers having cell phones because they were rich looks weird now (as does the size of the phones), but overall I can watch it and still get lost in the story with no problem. Even the more dated musical references don't bother me much. 

• Love 11
On 4/7/2019 at 6:11 PM, UYI said:

I watch it at least once almost every year, and IMO, it definitely does. Obviously the joke about these teenagers having cell phones because they were rich looks weird now (as does the size of the phones), but overall I can watch it and still get lost in the story with no problem. Even the more dated musical references don't bother me much. 

It's one of those movies that people just love, for the most part. I love it, my mum loved it, and so do a lot of friends of mine. 

• Love 9
On 4/7/2019 at 6:11 PM, UYI said:

I know what my ultimate favourite movies of all time are, and every once in awhile I'll put one of them on, like "Clueless", and say, do I really like this movie that much?  And the last time I put it on, I was like oh my goodness.  It is a perfect movie, and I really do love it that much.  It really is that good.  I think I appreciate how good it is even more now.

• Love 8

"Cher's bestie Dionne, whose job is reacting to stuff -- which, considering Stacey Dash's, um, whole deal, the fewer chances to speak, the better" followed by a clip of Dash being her usual self is my favorite part.

Followed by "And, of course, Josh, played by a time-traveling Paul Rudd.  He's Cher's love interest, who also happens to be her ex-stepbrother.  Which the movie desperately wants to make okay ... Even if they aren't related, he's still a college guy dating a 16-year-old girl."

Because, yeah, that's the one part of this film I do not like.

• Love 6

Well, I do appreciate the Chris Evans' film debut clip because, you know, Chris Evans.

I actually showed this to my almost 15 year old niece yesterday. She thought it was all right but I think there were a few things that didn't land to her 15 year old self.

Truthfully, she loved Clue way more. I know it's not the same wheelhouse but still.

• Love 2

I was hoping that they'd take a quick second to note that when they were leaving the party, the snowman that they were carrying was still illuminated   That's always been a head scratcher for me.

Edited by Shannon L.
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, Bastet said:

"Cher's bestie Dionne, whose job is reacting to stuff -- which, considering Stacey Dash's, um, whole deal, the fewer chances to speak, the better" followed by a clip of Dash being her usual self is my favorite part.

Followed by "And, of course, Josh, played by a time-traveling Paul Rudd.  He's Cher's love interest, who also happens to be her ex-stepbrother.  Which the movie desperately wants to make okay ... Even if they aren't related, he's still a college guy dating a 16-year-old girl."

Because, yeah, that's the one part of this film I do not like.

The age difference between Cher & Josh doesn’t bother me. 

Shes 16 and hes 19 (college sophomore), so they could’ve gone to high school together. Her dad knows about it and it’s not predatory at all. 

As far as them being ex-step siblings, it’s established that the marriage between Mel & Josh’s Mom was brief, and 5yrs ago. (To quote Mel, “You divorce wives not children.”)  It’s clear Josh looks up to Mel as an elder but he didn’t raise him so there isn’t any creepy power dynamics with Josh being the older sibling. 

It’s not ideal but in this particular situation I’m not bothered. If the people could’ve been in high school together it’s generally okay to me (a non movie example is Dawson & Gretchen in Season 4 of Dawson’s Creek). 

• Love 16
On 3/30/2022 at 3:58 AM, Hiyo said:

One of the best (if not the best) teen movies ever.

It really is, and I still feel after watching it for the 20th time it somehow gets better. 

• Love 2