Type keyword(s) to search

S11.E07: Food Truck Throwdown

• Start Topic

In their first challenge, the Finalists create and present a portable version of their favorite brunch dish to Giada De Laurentiis and Bobby Flay. Then, guest judge Richard Blais pairs the Finalists into teams, who create a social media promo video for their own food trucks. These videos will be shown to food truck enthusiasts, who will get food from the truck they most want to taste.

Giada: "Dom has some really great weeks..."

When????

Michelle's hair took on a life of it's own. And she lost her mind and quit. Here's hoping they do send her home and not to Star Salvation.

Alex would have been going home, given that Giada won't let Dom die.

• Love 5
(edited)

I hate that Giada tried to talk Michelle out of quitting.  Idiot.  And I mean both women. 

DickBla surprisingly didn't annoy me too much with his judging.  He's learned to dial it down a bit and isn't constantly operating at 11. 

Arnold's ramen bun-thing looked cool.  I missed if they showed how he did it. Jay was completely uncomfortable with Arnold's bun-and-meat antics when they were taping their promo.  No need to be such a tight-ass about it though. 

Alex and Dom seriously lucked out.

Edited by leighdear
  • Love 3
(edited)

I'm with Eddie on this one.  Michelle just made me MAD.  I'm a woman and I'm tired of this show picking women that throw it all away for their family - Shades of Amy Finley.  If you can't see your way to being away from your family for a while then you have no business being on this show.  Melissa D'Arabian has several girls and she never let that stand in her way.  I don't understand why they don't see that being away from their families is not going to be forever and it can be worked out.  It's not like the freaking network doesn't understand.  Giada is a mother too, after all.  I can just imagine that the other women who were already eliminated would be pissed to know this.  I hope the person who returns from Star Salvation is a woman.

Edited by Snarklepuss
  • Love 16

It does take the jam out of my donut when contestants on any show give up after having taken up a spot from someone else who really would have enjoyed the opportunity.

Everyone eliminated for good from this show is probably cursing her name. Thousands of people try out for this show and she was one of the chosen few who was given a golden opportunity on a silver platter. Maybe you won't win... but you will never, ever be given the chance to be on television in your lifetime if you quit.

• Love 15

I have to wonder if Alex really was going home? Snapping sucky soup mamma was clearly bottom 2.

She probably just saw the writing on the menu and split before they could dump her.

• Love 10
(edited)

Interesting turn of events tonight.  I was going to be really annoyed if Gee-Ahda had talked Michelle into staying. If the woman said she wanted to go then send her on her way.

Jay has stepped into the front runner spot now IMO since poor Eddie was paired with Michelle and had an off week.  It is too bad Eddie and Jay were not together instead of Jay getting stuck with Arnold.

And does Bobby not remember Amy Finley?  She also quit.  He was totally wrong when he claimed that this had never happened before.

Edited by smiley13
  • Love 2

People who quit because they "miss their families" annoy the ever loving heck out of me. It's Ben ,what, a couple of weeks in real time? Geeze, suck it up buttercup! Should have thought of this before you took this spot from someone else.

• Love 6
(edited)
And does Bobby not remember Amy Finley?  She also quit.  He was totally wrong when he claimed that this had never happened before.

Actually that happened a little differently - Amy threatened to quit but the judges convinced her to stay in the competition.  Then she was eliminated but was brought back after the JAG affair.  When she won she did her six shows and backed out after that.

Edited by Snarklepuss
  • Love 2

What a waste of keeping her on for a couple weeks.  She should have been gone then.  Ugh, she better not be on Salvation at all.  You quit you lost that chance.  What a waste of an elimination.  Don't go on a show if you aren't going to follow through.

• Love 5

Actually that happened a little differently - Amy threatened to quit but the judges convinced her to stay in the competition.  Then she was eliminated but was brought back after the JAG affair.  When she won she did her six shows and backed out after that.

Thank you, exactly. She got her show, did it, and decided she didn't want to do any more seasons. She did not quit during the competition. BIG difference.

• Love 1

Well, this was definitely the liveliest episode we've seen in a while. 

All three videos were pretty funny.  I was laughing at Dom and Alex slapping the crap out of each other while they munched on raw jalapeno.  And I never liked Michelle, so I enjoyed watching her turn into a total idiot.  Mediterranean Mom Meltdown.  Bye-bye.

I would have bet good money that Arnold wasn't going to be able to pull off ramen noodle hamburger buns, but by golly, he did it.  I wanted an Asian burger AND a praline bacon burger, with homemade chips.

But right now I'm off to make myself a buttery grilled cheese sandwich. . .

• Love 12

Amy tried to quit and whoever was judging at the time (I really do not remember) talked her out of it, much like Gee-Ahda tried to talk Michelle out of it.    So it was not the first time someone stood up there and said they wanted to quit.

I am just glad that Michelle is gone.  Unfortunately though, that means Dom is still there.  What were they talking about when they said some weeks he had been good?  That must have ended up on the cutting room floor.  When did that happen?

Arnold's attempt at inappropriate humor fell flat.  Poor Jay looked mortified.

• Love 1

She probably just saw the writing on the menu and split before they could dump her.

That's what I was thinking. She probably thinks everyone will think she's the bestest mommy ever to give it up for her family. Sorry, I think you suck. Unless a family member is sick I've always thought it was a lame excuse to quit.

I'm glad they asked Eddie about his sauce. In my book that's a big no no. I'm beginning to hope he wins because I don't really want any of the others to.

Why does Bobby put on glaases for the vagina table of death?

And does Bobby not remember Amy Finley?

I always thought Bobby was one of the reasons Amy walked away--not just him, but the Tush, Suzie and the rest of the personality-over-cooking crowd.

Heh, is Dom buying into Giada's fantasy that he has a chance? Or is this Giada's season to pick a winner, sts?

I'm not sure what the hell Alex's game plan was. He roped Dom into slapping the shit out of each other and then served something so hot, not  many would want to eat it. Plus, it had to have smelled spicy as all hell a mile away. Dom was a good enough sport though. 

I'm kinda surprised Eddie never tasted Michelle's soup at any point along the way. She's not exactly known to be the best chef, I certainly wouldn't leave such an important part of my meal all up to her and blindly go into it. 

Like other's, Arnold's ramen buns sounded so interesting. I would love to try them. 

What the hell was going on with Giada's hyena laugh this week? 

• Love 2

What a waste of keeping her on for a couple weeks.  She should have been gone then.  Ugh, she better not be on Salvation at all.  You quit you lost that chance.  What a waste of an elimination.  Don't go on a show if you aren't going to follow through.

I'm thinking there won't be a Star Salvation this week since Michelle just left the show completely.  Unless the next twist is that she had a change of heart and decided to go on Star Salvation to get back on the show.  What an idiot.  I do wonder how real this little episode was though.  I'm getting suspicious because they have to get creative with ways to keep the audience interested.  Maybe she really was the next to go but the show that asked her to stage that little interruption.

I'm not a fan of the "Give a ticket based on the video" voting. I think people go for what they like depending on what they want to eat regardless of the videos. I wouldn't have gone for the jalepeno taco because I don't like spicy, I wouldn't have gone for the soup because who eats soup standing up? So the burgers would have gotten my ticket by default.

But I'm a weird eater.

• Love 4

I'm thinking there won't be a Star Salvation this week since Michelle just left the show completely

Without giving anything away for those who don't want to know, there was a competition. You can read about it, if you want, in that thread.

• Love 1

Don't the competitors not go home anyway? Whether or not they do Star Salvation don't they end up in sequesterville until the end of the filming so that the first person out isn't spoiled when on day 3 of a 30 day taping s/he's already home? So what good does quitting do? Maybe they can use the phone in sequesterville?

• Love 2

Wow, it was either going to be Michelle or Alex...then Michelle quit.  

It would have been more perfect if when Michelle started into her spiel about not wanting this over her family and saying she was quitting, they just stopped her and said well we were going to send you home anyways.

The tomato soup thing, i'm sorry but if it was that bland Eddie should have just said so and they could have put some ground red pepper or chili powder in it to spice it up.  I mean seriously now...it still could have been fixed at that stage.

I really wanted Eddie to punch Dom at that point.  I get where Eddie was coming from saying that the competition isn't over yet, but damn Dom is a dick.  

After Michelle quit, I was still hoping they would indeed choose another to go home, which I guess it would have been Alex b/c god-forbid we send Dom the eye-talian golden boy home.  I just know he is going to win, b/t Giada being wet for him and Bobby saying he has the best food of everyone there.

So what penalties does Michelle endure for quitting the competition?  If she bowed out due to family emergency or injury it would be different.

Highlight of the episode...Alex slapping the soul out of Dom.

The worst part of the episode, Giada's fake laugh at the videos...good lord that was like a hyena.  It seemed like the laugh was there just so we could see her tits jiggling up and down in that dress.

• Love 1

Don't the competitors not go home anyway? Whether or not they do Star Salvation don't they end up in sequesterville until the end of the filming so that the first person out isn't spoiled when on day 3 of a 30 day taping s/he's already home? So what good does quitting do? Maybe they can use the phone in sequesterville?

She's sequestered like everyone else. So... she gained nothing, and lost everything she might have potentially gained as a runner-up with a second chance on another network.

Giada's hyena laugh was scary to me.

• Love 5

Was it me?  I thought Michelle was acting strange all through this episode.  In fact her behavior got so strange that at one point I wondered if she was going to walk off the set before the judging even happened.  It started with her refusal to stop dancing and then went to her freaking out on the food truck.  She just looked and acted like she went over the deep end or something.  I even thought she was trying to sabotage herself, even with the food she made.

(edited)

Snarklepuss, I think it was more the edit the producers gave Michelle in her farewell episode.  I have to admit, watching the Lifetime series UnREAL really makes me look at all these reality shows in a new light.  I wouldn't be surprised if in her one on one with the camera a producer didn't bring up the fact that she had just missed her child's birthday.  For that matter, maybe Dom is good in his one on one cameras interviews b/c there is a hot eye-talian girl getting him to warm to the camera.  Damn you UnREAL, all I see now is shady producers...

Edited by CMH1981
  • Love 5

She's sequestered like everyone else. So... she gained nothing, and lost everything she might have potentially gained as a runner-up with a second chance on another network.

Surely she went home to her family. I doubt if they can force anyone to stay. That would be something like kidnapping. She couldn't be stupid enough to quit only to go stay at the sequester house could she?

In the first challenge I thought Giada said there couldn't be any changes whosoever to their dishes. I thought Arnold left out his poached egg and Dom added an egg.

I was almost rid of Alex! Dammit!

This was his best week in a while since he didn't waiter at me the whole time, but his choice of going crazy spicy and then screwing up his food on top of having very little presentation skills should have done it. I just don't like him. I can't explain why but I really want him gone and Michelle ruined it for me.

As for her quitting, if that's what she wants then good for her. Some people want to chase fame and some people don't. I hope she figured out that being a mom/blogger was for her and it wasn't just guilt and sadness at missing a birthday. Its her choice to make and while I didn't love her as a contestant, I hope she's happy with her decision because its the type of decision you can never undo.

Dom was pretty good this week. In the first challenge he had some spark, he went all in for the slapping video and he, unlike "I love heat" Alex, actually understood balance in composing his spicy dish. That would be the thing I'd most want to try food-wise from this episode.

Jay and Arnold also killed it. I'd try either burger but that ramen bun was the most intriguing thing they made. Props to Arnold for pulling that off since his food has been inconsistent. 

UnREAL is required watching for anyone who watches reality TV. It's online at Lifetime.com for the already-aired episodes.

Since I started watching it, the way I see this show has changed completely. I think its why I like Dom even though he can be a bit of an ass and why I'm pretty forgiving of Michelle's behaviour this week and the week she walked out. I always sort of knew behind the scenes was crazy but I really believe now the sky could be blue and a reality show could make me think its yellow.

• Love 3

I thought Michelle finally knew she in over her head and couldn't compete with the others. I don't think the judges have every been crazy about her food and she knows it. She was acting extra manic with the dancing. The judges have said before that they really like Dom's food-it's the presentations they don't like. Of course, to me, having great food is more important than stories about your family, but I understand that audience's can't taste the food.

Jay seems to be the all around favorite, but I find him kind of bland overall. And since I'm a vegetarian, I don't usually root for the all meat all the time guys. I do like Eddie, since he at least tries to have a healthy point of view, and I thought both he and Arnold (along with Jay) did well with the food truck.

I agree that people are going to get what they usually eat or what they are hungry for, I don't think the videos mattered except in the case of the tacos and people were afraid of the spice level.

• Love 3
(edited)

I watched the first episode of UnReal and liked it but don't think I could get into it on a regular basis.  Not enough time left for more TV.  I have always been suspicious of reality shows so it's not really telling me anything I don't already suspect anyway.

Regarding the spot they were all filming Dom let out that the "mentors" told him to take it over the top or something like that.  So it's obvious they have handlers behind the scenes pushing them in certain directions.  I'm not sure who would have prompted Michelle to do that stupid "dance" she did non-stop even when it got ridiculous, though.  And saying in her talking head that she told Eddie she was fine but in reality was freaking out.  Maybe somebody scared her by implying that she could be the next to go home and it flipped her out.

Edited by Snarklepuss
(edited)

I agree, Michelle psyched herself out early on by thinking b/c she was the last woman on the show she had better "bring it."  The producers don't care that there is only one woman left.

What they should have done w/ this food truck competition to "spice it up" was both players of the losing team go home, it would have really upped the stakes and made sure there was actual team work going on, watching each others backs so to speak.

UnREAL works as a one and done season of tv, even though they were given a second season.  I probably won't come back for the second season b/c I can't see how they can do another season unless it's for a different type of reality show, like maybe a food competition show....hell i would totally be back for that.  I do recommend catching up w/ it online.  You won't be disappointed...it gets really good.

Edited by CMH1981
  • Love 1
(edited)

All three videos were stupidly hilarious. Could you imagine Pioneer Woman doing that? I was entertained.(snap dances away..... to have Mimosas on the beach with my children)

Edited by rustyspigot
  • Love 4

Michelle was starting to remind me a little of Stacey from a couple of seasons back.  She went on and on and on about how she missed her family and even when she was featured on Restaurant Impossible before FNS one of her big issues was she refused dinner service because it would take time away from her kids.  How stupid are these people to not have a clue that this show and the potential job if you win would mean some sacrificing? Winners like Guy, Melissa and Jeff have children and spouses and have done so much traveling and filming for the network I'm sure on more than several occasions they had to go without seeing their family for even a short time.  What Michelle pulled by actually leaving has me so irritated.  Not only was it lame but I feel bad for the people who really, really wanted this and missed out.

• Love 3

What the hell was going on with Giada's hyena laugh this week? 

This!  And, one of the quotes of the episode is from LBH (to Dom) it was something like:

"Your taco was the best one I tasted." 

Yeah, my mind went there and ew.  

I'm glad Arnold and Jay did well...those burgers looked awesome. 

• Love 1
(edited)

People who quit because they "miss their families" annoy the ever loving heck out of me. It's Ben ,what, a couple of weeks in real time? Geeze, suck it up buttercup! Should have thought of this before you took this spot from someone else.

It's like the people on Survivor who get all weepy when their loved ones show up on the island after they've been away for three weeks.  Try being stationed overseas for months, if not years, at a time.

I'm kinda surprised Eddie never tasted Michelle's soup at any point along the way.

He did try her soup, there are the end, but lied to her that it was good. But Giada and the eaters said that his sandwich wasn't good.

Edited by Rick Kitchen
  • Love 4

Was Giada drunk this entire episode?  I don't know how else to explain her laughing as if everything was the FUNNIEST THING SHE HAD EVER HEARD IN HER LIFE.  I actually miss the Giada from the very early seasons of her show where she acted like hosting a cooking show was akin to spending four hours in a dentist's chair.  Which, ironically, is probably an equally terrifying experience for her current dentist.  

Speaking of drunk, Michelle clearly found some of Giada's hidden stash in the pantry because she was off her rocker this week.

Favorite moment:  Dom and Alex, so eager they had a patron after their initial rush only to have her ask, "Do you have napkins?" 

• Love 4

I'm surprised that Alex didn't take the time to weed out his burned sausage before the judges got there. The shot we saw on TV was really really burned.

Weird editing splice:

"What do we think of the chips?"

Bobby: "they are lovely..."

Who describes fried chips as lovely??

Bye Michelle! Flaky woman are maddening. Not only does she screw thousands out of a spot on the show but she reinforces the stereotype of fickle family women in the workplace. Bleck.

• Love 4

I haven't cared for Michelle all along and have wondered how she ever got selected in the first place so I was glad to see her go.  I have no respect for her for quitting for the same reasons already mentioned by others.  That last bit seemed odd to me, especially the part where she waited until the last possible syllable of a dismissal of Alex before announcing her decision.  I sort of suspect that she had already told the judges and/or producers of her decision to leave and they told her to play it that way for the sake of drama.  The other contestants seemed genuinely surprised.  

• Love 1

Michelle was already dead to me, so I won't even notice she's gone.

Thank you, exactly. She got her show, did it, and decided she didn't want to do any more seasons. She did not quit during the competition. BIG difference.

Actually, the rumors are not that she didn't want to do the show anymore, it was her husband who didn't want her to do the show. He didn't like her being on the competition & was making life hard for her which is why she tried to quit. While she was doing the show he was not happy at all, so she walked away.

• Love 3

I started watching the episode and at about 10 minutes in I realized that I didn't like any of the people (or hate them, they're all very bland, imho) so I flipped over to whatever Women Who Fight show was on Bravo instead.  Which is to say, I totally get why Michelle would quit- sooo boring.

Jay's impersonation of Michelle's dancing was the funniest I've seen him.

In regards to the time away from the family, I think Guy's star power was proven when he was able to move filming of Grocery Games to his home area.  Do contestants think they get to be like Ree Drummond and cook from home?  

• Love 2
(edited)

I sort of suspect that she had already told the judges and/or producers of her decision to leave and they told her to play it that way for the sake of drama.  The other contestants seemed genuinely surprised.  

Weeks back I was arguing that Giada supposedly changing her mind on the spot to boot Matthew was scripted, so granted I'm conspiracy oriented. But I'm even more sure that Michelle's quitting was something that been worked out in advance with the producers. She was terrible during the food truck challenge. The weird dancing and then making tasteless soup. (Given that Bobby had said if you're going to make something as common as tomato soup it better be great, hers was an epic fail). But none of that was mentioned during the judging segment. They just said something about her needing to bring it, and went on to Alex. Had this been legit, she definitely would've been considered for bottom two, and probably been sent home.

Here's what I think happened. She had this really bad week. (During the brunch challenge she babbled incoherently, and her food wasn't good either.) So I believe that the producers sat down with her and said, you seem to be struggling, is your heart really in this? They may have even told her that she was likely to be cut. So it was mutually agreed that she would bow out, enabling her to save face. And it gave the show a dramatic twist ending that got people talking.

She was so bad this week that I can't imagine her bouncing back. So it's really better that she didn't stick around and continue to go down hill. I hope that FNS now stops giving us these home cook contestants and goes back to making the show about people who legitimately have "food authority" because they actually do food for a living. (Including I'm sure a lot of female chefs who know how to balance family and career).

Edited by bluepiano
  • Love 3

I was watching this show with someone who's never watched and they thought Dom had the star power. Hm!

So done with Michelle. Her constant "I've never done this before!" "I've never tasted this before!" "I've never even heard of this before!" was so tiring and made her "food authority" basement-level.

• Love 3

I haven't cared for Michelle all along and have wondered how she ever got selected in the first place so I was glad to see her go.  I have no respect for her for quitting for the same reasons already mentioned by others.  That last bit seemed odd to me, especially the part where she waited until the last possible syllable of a dismissal of Alex before announcing her decision.  I sort of suspect that she had already told the judges and/or producers of her decision to leave and they told her to play it that way for the sake of drama.  The other contestants seemed genuinely surprised.  

This!  I thought Giada was looking straight at Michelle when  she slurred her last word, like she was giving her a cue to come in with her interruption.

• Love 1

Actually, the rumors are not that she didn't want to do the show anymore, it was her husband who didn't want her to do the show. He didn't like her being on the competition & was making life hard for her which is why she tried to quit. While she was doing the show he was not happy at all, so she walked away.

Re: Amy Finley - that's true, I remember that, although didn't she say that herself somewhere at one point?  I thought it was more than just a rumor, although that was a while ago now.  I am madder at Amy because she shouldn't have allowed her husband to make her give up her dream.  At least with Michelle, it's her own personal choice, although I'm still mad at her.  Geesh, you'd think this was the 19th century or something that women should feel so tied to the home.  I get it that they miss their kids but come on, grow up, have a life.  I wouldn't want to be the kid of a mother who so publicly gave up what could potentially be an amazing career like that because of me.  Then again I think she knew she stood no chance of winning anyway, like others have said.

• Love 3

Boy, could they make that elimination look even more phony?

"Alex. Even though we NEVER eliminate the first contestant we talk to without telling at least one other contestant that they are safe, we're going to have to fake eliminate you now so Michelle can pull off the MOST SHOCKING ENDING EVER in the history of our show so we can pretend that she didn't already tell the producers that was her plan. Otherwise, I practiced my OMG! face for nothing and Bobby and I won't be able to literally whisper sweet nothings in each other's ears as we pretend to craft new rules for the competition when the producers have already told us that we have to keep all of you losers around for next week otherwise we'll run out of contestants before this stupid season comes to a merciful end."

• Love 9

This season is just too freakin' weird.  I mean, I have no problem with Michelle throwing herself on the flames; if I had to listen to her whine for one more minute ("Oh my God, they're making us do another challenge!") I'd have jumped into the nearest volcano myself.  And the whole dancing thing in her video with Eddie kinda reminded me of Elaine Benes dancing in that Seinfeld episode, the snapping and all that.  Not to mention that when she spoke to camera during her video with Eddie, she was obviously trying to ape the black vernacular in her style of speech.  Cringe-inducing on the Emilia level.  

Now, did I have an auditory Freudian slip, or did I hear Arnold say, "I'm Arnold Myint, your design star"??  I thought this was FNS, not HGS.

I thought the Hot Slap Taco thing was hilarious, and it was fun to see Flay lose his shit.  On the other hand, from the moment Alex started with, "When people think tacos, they think extreme heat," I knew his food was going to be hot mess (literally) and people would avoid their truck like bird flu.  I know the whole so-hot-you-can't-taste-it thing is popular with some people, but I have yet to see it work as a strategy in any cooking show, except one devoted particularly to that experience.  I really do enjoying watching Alex (even though he reminds me from the neck up of Bonnie Franklin in One Day at a Time) but his choices make him appear shockingly unseasoned.  Ironically.  

• Love 10

NB: Jay got the words "tailgate party" in at least three times in the opening minutes of this show.  I don't remember him ever saying them before.  It must be his new assigned "POV" for when he wins the season. There's nothing in that for me, I don't go to sporting events and while I cook some steak or burgers outside a couple of times a year I try not to eat outside with the bugs and such.

• Love 1